• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Dash attack to work?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
In my experience, this move has a serious case of pre-patch-Shulk-syndrome in that the second hit doesn't connect after the first hit 99% of the time (due to the first hit popping the opponent too far above for the second hit to connect). This is regardless of percent and it doesn't seem to matter which type of character I'm against - heavies and floaties both seem to happily avoid the second hit.

Is there a knack to actually getting this move to work how it's supposed to? Dash Attack is one of Peach's better KO moves (something which she is sorely lacking in) and it's rather frustrating to land the first hit only to find you opponent still standing front of you whilst Peach is happily surveying what's on the ground after Dash Attack has finished...

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
It tends to work better if you space it so that you hit with the tip of the move. It may also be rage/DI dependent if they drop out.

Its also a good idea to jab if you don't get the second hit usually.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Dash attack will mostly whiff on airborne opponents, or if you stand too close to them. Dash attack is more prone to whiffing if you use it in neutral (because your opponent may jump and thus be airborne) or on their landing than if you use it as a punish (for example against Mario's Usmash it is less likely to whiff because you stand quite far from him and he's standing on the ground) All characters can fall out of it, but some fall out of it more often than other. Peach, Zelda, Rosalina, Marth, Lucina, Sonic, Diddy, Ganondorf, Dedede and Ness seem to fall out of it most often, whereas fastfallers like Fox or Sheik only fall out of it rarely.

There's simply not much you can do about it other than accepting it. The best thing to do is expecting Dash Attack to whiff so you will always be prepared. Options you can use against someone falling out of Dash Attack, are Jab, Grab, shield or another Dash Attack.

If your opponents adapt to it, it will become a mix-up game. Against a Ness player I often play I would dash grab after a whiffed dash attack. In response he would walk back and wait for me to whiff my grab and then punish it. Seeing that, I adapted back by dash attacking him again after whiffing my first dash attack, which would catch him on his walk.

It really sucks opponents fall out of it, even if you can get some nice things out of it, like dash attack whiff to grab Dthrow Bair at low percent), I'd rather have it connect reliable and tbh it should, because moves designed to whiff at random is just stupid design. The best solution however, is to always be prepared for dash attack to whiff (even if think it isn't) so you can adapt as quickly as possible.

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
I had a bad habit of going from Weak hit dash attack to Jab

Whiffed Dash Attacks can actually be a great time to go for a grab

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Doesn't DA always sweetspot with the basic turnip throw combo? Basic high % kill combo right?

Top Bottom