• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Back Into Melee; Playing Marth

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
One mention of anything to do with Brawl vs. Melee fiascos and I'm kicking you in the ****. Even if you're a dude. Yeah, guess what's behind the censor.

Having played and competed in Brawl since it came out in 2008, with the occassional match of Melee, I've decided to try my hand at balancing both games again competitively (Marthberta, Canada. WOO!). While I'm not certain on if I will stay with my main, Link, or go to Marth as I am right now here in this specific board, I'm just curious.

Coming from any higher profile players that use Marth, whose taken a break from Melee or balanced both games, and how hard was it for you to get back into the groove of things with Marth when you picked it up again?

I just wanna get a general idea before I jump right back in, so I know the challenge ahead of me.

If this thread was kinda pointless or doesn't make sense, sorry, I guess. :p I haven't slept yet, and it's 8 AM. Go me. lol

[EDIT]

I started off with Melee competitively in late 2007, in case anyone's wondering if I ever was actually in on the game before Brawl hit the scene.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I got a friend by me who plays sonic in brawl and marth in melee..........

just thought id point that out.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'm not a high-profile player. Hell I'm not good enough to make it out of pools, but I still have an opinion.

I never had a problem transitioning from Brawl back to Melee in late 2008. I felt that the game engines were so drastically different yet having some similarities that it didn't mess me up. It's like transitioning from Tetris to Melee or Streetfighter to Melee, the game engines are that drastically different. Fighters all have strategies that can be applied to each game, but it shouldn't be a problem transitioning between them all. Maybe if you haven't touched the game in months, but that's probably due to the lack of time spent playing Melee rather than just playing Brawl.

It took me a few months to get back to where I was before I quit melee. About three. From there I started to improve alot, whilst hitting a few mental blocks and stagnating for a week, or a month.

Since I had 3 years of Melee experience, getting back to where I was didn't take long. I remembered most of what worked and progressively remembered, and even learned more as I kept playing.

Also definitely play Marth over link. Low tiers suck ****, even though I secondary Game and Watch.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Seriously? Brawl screws me up so bad... the dtilt instead of dsmash when you C-stick while crouching, the lack of light shielding, the lack of edge guards, the lack of L-cancels, the lack of dash dances, the fact that grabs suck and the way jump canceling grabs makes you float off like an idiot...

Then once I get over those, Melee works differently and argh.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i never get used to brawl, so no matter how many times i play it, going back to melee feels like slipping on an old glove (not that kind of glove, sicko)

Dart

Smash Lord
I'd say coming from melee to brawl benefits better solely in the fact that you can tech anything in barlw after playing melee so much :/

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Really? I can't tech anything in Brawl because I'm used to hitting shield early, so I end up airdodging instead.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The only time you can hit the ground while still in hitstun in that game is from ganon's sideb, and the other grab moves that throw you straight into a tech chase.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i dont think you can.

i don't play it much, but chicago is supposedly one of the best regions for brawl+ in the country so i know some stuff from watching/playing that.

edit:: ninja'd by dart

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
I play both competitively. To keep them separate, I hold myself to picking completely different characters in each. I play Kirby/MK in brawl and Marth/Sheik/Ganon in melee.

For me it's floaty vs. fast comboey.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I dont play much brawl, mostly just b+, but i play marth in melee and ike in b+. i like how similar they are and i can carry over the same mental aspect to b+

Dart

Smash Lord
B+? i haven't played that since when like 5 characters were too good in it. whats the current metagame like?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
idk im not experienced enough to say anything about the game, as i've only played ~ 3 tournament matches and a handful of friendlies

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
i dont think you can.

i don't play it much, but chicago is supposedly one of the best regions for brawl+ in the country so i know some stuff from watching/playing that.

edit:: ninja'd by dart
Saying you're good at bawrl, bawrl+ or any other incarnation is pointless. That game sucks

P.S Marth sucks use Fox

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
when i started melee i was trying to learn all the tech and crap with marth
then i switched to falco and was maining him
then after a few months i was playing brawl since i was bored of melee
playing marth in brawl helped me learn new combos for marth, and now my marth is so good!

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
b+ is a lot better than brawl, no lie.

still not as good as melee, by far though.
Balanced Brawl is not though...but i cant remember if Balanced Brawl = Brawl+ or not but meh...in Balanced Brawl, at 0% with marth, a fully charged link arrow can send u from the middle of FD or BF to the edge almost....as well as do like 20% or something....honestly, the most OP thing I've ever seen in Brawl.

folk!

Smash Apprentice
i feel id be so much better at melee if i could take off u-tilt jump. when ever i try uair i usually use my second jump. how do most peeps get passed this?

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
Biggest problem i've had transitioning back to brawl was working on SH and timing hitstun.
I've played Brawl nearly every day for last 4 months, the hitstun seemed like it lasted forever in melee. Comboing seems like cake now in melee

Moooose

Smash Champion
it's something to work on.
if you want an early up air, you can slide your control stick from a neutral position to slightly tilted up without bringing it all the way up, then press a. If you want a late up air, just move your right thumb to the cstick and press up on the cstick. this is easier but takes longer.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I never use utilt for uairs for that purpose. Suits my needs. In Melee, you can easily interrupt your last move with a fast enough & well timed move with just bout anyone from what I can tell...uair, nair, just bout anything that can combo can do AFAIK... In brawl, people are so floaty constantly comboing quick uairs isnt that needed or even required that often.

Top Bottom