• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Personally, I'd be less worried about the reaction to characters not making the list and more worried about the reaction to characters who did not getting in. It does make sense to omit them but it still felt like a cop out when they said that Bayonetta wasn't the most popular character and then told us nothing about why she was the one that got in.
But she was the most popular character. What part of this aren't you getting? She got enough votes worldwide to be the #1 pick overall. Top 5 in North America + #1 in Europe = top pick overall. This isn't difficult. North America isn't the only part of the world that counts you know.

It would be a different story if she was top 5 in one country and didn't make it in another, but the fact that she was a top pick in two countries was enough to push her to the very top.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
But she was the most popular character. What part of this aren't you getting? She got enough votes worldwide to be the #1 pick overall. Top 5 in North America + #1 in Europe = top pick overall. This isn't difficult. North America isn't the only part of the world that counts you know.
You've said that and I can accept that but, at least in the PAL region, that is not how it came across. The way they phrased the announcement very much felt like "this wasn't the most wanted character but it's the one we felt like giving you".

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

It would be a different story if she was top 5 in one country and didn't make it in another, but the fact that she was a top pick in two countries was enough to push her to the very top.
She was top in Europe, and apparently top 5 in the US among 'viable choices', which was never gone into with any real depth. Plus no mention of Japan or any other countries/continents who voted on this at all, because apparently they don't matter.

There's nothing to 'get', you can't trust vague results that don't even give you a full understanding of how the voting process worked, period. Bayonetta could of very well have been the true winner, but until those fully detailed results are shown, claiming it matter of factly will do no one any good.

Regardless none of this matters, because I'm almost certain RS here just wanted to see where Banjo landed on the poll. It's nice to see the character you support do well regardless if the won or not.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Regardless none of this matters, because I'm almost certain RS here just wanted to see where Banjo landed on the poll. It's nice to see the character you support do well regardless if the won or not.
More or less this. If he did poorly, I don't need to see the exact ranking but, having heard mention of a top 5, I would have at least liked to see if he was in there. After all the time I spent discussing him and all the excitement about him being an actual possibility, it would have been nice to know if that excitement ever really made him one.

PsychoJosh

She was top in Europe, and apparently top 5 in the US among 'viable choices', which was never gone into with any real depth. Plus no mention of Japan or any other countries/continents who voted on this at all, because apparently they don't matter.

There's nothing to 'get', you can't trust vague results that don't even give you a full understanding of how the voting process worked, period. Bayonetta could of very well have been the true winner, but until those fully detailed results are shown, claiming it matter of factly will do no one any good.[
That implies that Nintendo is guilty of lying by omission, and in this case, I see no logic behind this accusation. Bayonetta is a character that they had to tread carefully with because of her potential to easily boost the game to an M rating. There is no reason they would take a risk that big if it wasn't for their fans voices saying that they wanted her in. I trust what they're saying is the truth.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That implies that Nintendo is guilty of lying by omission, and in this case, I see no logic behind this accusation. Bayonetta is a character that they had to tread carefully with because of her potential to easily boost the game to an M rating. There is no reason they would take a risk that big if it wasn't for their fans voices saying that they wanted her in. I trust what they're saying is the truth.
I feel like there's plenty of reasons.

-Marketing, Bayonetta 2 had come a few months prior to the announcement of the ballot, sold ok, Nintendo wanted more exposure

Well that's it actually

Seeing that it was a big deal, and a worldwide event I don't see why some people don't believe in this possibility. It doesn't even have to be Nintendo lying per se, it can just be 'oh Banjo got more votes? but he's not viable, oh Ice Climbers got more votes? We cut them for a reason, etc... etc...

It could also be the voting period didn't last as long as they said it did. To my recollection Bayo was really popular initially, and dropped off like a rock after a few months. Maybe only the initial votes were taken into account? Would've been nice to have been told.

The point I'm trying to make is I highly doubt for the full length of the ballot across all the countries that had access to it, that Bayonetta one. Maybe she squeezed it out in May, or the list of unlikable characters was super long, but it's not easy to believe that she won with many bigger names out there, especially with her lack of a presence in Japan.

PsychoJosh

I really find it doubtful that Banjo got more votes than Bayonetta. Bayoneta has sort of become a recent phenomenon and people would have reasonable doubt to believe that Banjo could be in despite now being a competitor's mascot, which would prevent them from voting for him.

Of course, even if they did reveal the ballot results, I don't think you would believe them anyways. There was a popular meme about getting people to vote for Britney Spears in the ballot, and maybe the reason Nintendo didn't show off the ballot results was because they got an embarrassing number of joke votes for unrealistic characters.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If this thread is going to go into conspiracy theories then most people will just hightail it out of here.

Focus on Banjo guys. Trying to invalidate the poll makes you seem petty.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If this thread is going to go into conspiracy theories then most people will just hightail it out of here.

Understood

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

We're just sore that a witch beat the bear and bird duo, amirite?

A little self depreciate humor always lightens the mood...

But seriously guys, most of the activity in this thread has nothing to do with Banjo, I know we don't really have anything to talk about what with the franchise being dead and buried, but we have to make things to talk about.

Like, y'know, Yooka Laylee is out in two days, that's at least tangentially related to Banjo.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We're just sore that a witch beat the bear and bird duo, amirite?

A little self depreciate humor always lightens the mood...

But seriously guys, most of the activity in this thread has nothing to do with Banjo, I know we don't really have anything to talk about what with the franchise being dead and buried, but we have to make things to talk about.

Like, y'know, Yooka Laylee is out in two days, that's at least tangentially related to Banjo.
I mean, it did at first just got side-tracked. I'm going to stop, you can all relax now.

PsychoJosh

Here's a question. Let's say Banjo didn't get into Smash, but instead Microsoft announced an all-Rareware fighting game in the style of Power Stone, with several playable Banjo characters (Banjo-Kazooie, Gruntilda and Mumbo Jumbo). How would you guys feel about that?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Here's a question. Let's say Banjo didn't get into Smash, but instead Microsoft announced an all-Rareware fighting game in the style of Power Stone, with several playable Banjo characters (Banjo-Kazooie, Gruntilda and Mumbo Jumbo). How would you guys feel about that?
I'd prefer Banjo and Conker if we're getting stuff from Rare. If they do go all Banjo that's a pretty good line-up though.

PsychoJosh

No, by "all Rareware" I mean every franchise from Rareware. Not just Banjo and Conker but also Kameo, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Mr. Pants and Sabreman. It's an all Rareware Power Stone.

Maybe Microsoft would throw in a couple of their own guests for good measure, like Master Chief and Steve from Minecraft.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yeah, this has gone way out of hand, I'm sorry I started it.

No, by "all Rareware" I mean every franchise from Rareware. Not just Banjo and Conker but also Kameo, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Mr. Pants and Sabreman. It's an all Rareware Power Stone.

Maybe Microsoft would throw in a couple of their own guests for good measure, like Master Chief and Steve from Minecraft.
My concern here would be that no other item fighter has ever come close to Smash levels of quality, as far as I am aware, and the only 3D one I've ever heard good things about is Power Stone itself. I do not have good reason to expect a well made game from such a title. There is practically no precedent for such.

That said, were it a good quality title, it would be hectic gameplay befitting of such a zany allstar cast and very much the kind of cross over that the characters deserve. I would definitely be down for it.
Not sure on my main yet (I pick who I play as much for the feel of the character in motion as anything) or which Sabrewolf we'd get but I can say with certainty that I'd run Mister Pants as my secondary. He's the Game & Watch of the Rareverse.

Now, regarding the feasibility of such a title, have we seen anything from Sea of Thieves yet? Is it good? Does it have enough appeal and recognisable enough characters to draw in a modern audience? If not then surely this is a purely retro-catering game that will only suit a certain niche (that I'm part of).

I do think, though, that including Kameo would be a good call. So much potential for moveset greatness and definitely well designed, regardless of what people may or may not think about her game.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Sorry I misread. I think it would be cool, I'd probably pick it up honestly. Knowing Microsoft, they'd still manage to give Conker the shaft somehow lol.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm trying to think how Tiptup would fight but I'm not coming up with anything. I just really want him/her in because he/she seems like the only viable Diddy Kong Racing character who was never the star of another game.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm trying to think how Tiptup would fight but I'm not coming up with anything. I just really want him/her in because he/she seems like the only viable Diddy Kong Racing character who was never the star of another game.
Now THAT would be interesting. Seeing Diddy Kong racers return would be really cool.

PsychoJosh

I don't think Tiptup would be in the game. If I had to picture how he would play, it would mostly involve him driving a vehicle and using all the different items from that game. I think it'd be clunky and not very exciting. Instead, the game would mainly draw from Rare's most iconic protagonists and antagonists.

Power Stone is the ONLY 3D 4-player item fighter that isn't Smash, so that's probably why you've never heard of any others.

A game like this would be good only if you have the right people working on it. So it would need to be either Rare, or a studio who is passionate about fighting games and knows enough to do a good job. The people who made PSAS were kind of lame hipsters who had no idea what made fighting games good or why people played them, which is why the game turned out crap. They originally had it play more like Smash but decided at the last second they wanted to do something unique and their game suffered for it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Power Stone is the ONLY 3D 4-player item fighter that isn't Smash
There are actually a lot of 4 player item fighters.

Most just aren't remembered.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well this is definitely the Banjo thread, we're as dead as the franchise.

Why don't I liven up the place with some art. I really should draw more Banjo stuff.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I like to think a 3D fighter could be interesting if it were inspired by Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie controls. Nothing really fancy, you just press certain buttons at the same time to do different moves. It retains the simplicity of Smash in a 3D environment.

Also, nice artwork, JamesDNaux.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The witch cast a demon summoning spell and threatened lives of thousands of voters and Sakurai. Deal with it. :p... either that or certain blackmail. hue hue.

I'm not a supporter of Banjo cos I have no real connection with them and I don't find the moveset exciting in any way imo. Seems more like Brawl-level uniqueness than the much higher Smash4 level. Plus he's part of MS now which would take some getting used for me if they did show up in Smash, since the Nintendo I grew up with never had Banjo so I don't even associate them with Ninty.

I would like to say its possible since MS seems willing and its simply a question if he's good enough to be picked in the first place and if Ninty would approve. So don't lose hope!

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
My most wanted character! I cast atleast 40 votes when that ballot was still going on. Bring Banjo back home!!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This is actually a nice Banjo animation. It may not be much, but I figured you all might appreciate it.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
This is actually a nice Banjo animation. It may not be much, but I figured you all might appreciate it.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
You know it's weird. If I don't see anything with them for awhile I stop caring, but the minute I see them in action, especially with their music playing in the background, I just go right back into wishing Nintendo never let them go. The history of Banjo Kazooie is like a tragedy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know it's weird. If I don't see anything with them for awhile I stop caring, but the minute I see them in action, especially with their music playing in the background, I just go right back into wishing Nintendo never let them go. The history of Banjo Kazooie is like a tragedy.
Even I don't think modern Rare really have the confidence to do anything with Banjo. It's been years since we last had a game and that one was a car simulator that tried to be hip with the modern gamers (along with jabs at both classic and modern Rare).

If Yooka Laylee is anything to go by, I doubt even the fans would be satisfied if Microsoft did go ahead a make a new one. Would it capture the spirit of the originals or wind up being soulless to the older games?

They just need to get the right team to pull it off. Even I doubt PlayTonic would be interested in leaving their indie status.

PsychoJosh

I thought Nuts & Bolts was an excellent game.

But this is how Rare has always been, even back when they were with Nintendo, people would constantly peg them for new sequels to their older franchises. They always asked for new KI, new Battletoads, new Conker. This is nothing different.

However it doesn't change the fact that Microsoft is indeed sitting on a goldmine with them and they're just not doing anything with it. Banjo has the potential to be their Mario. They could do all sorts of new games with him, not just adventure games but also their own kart racers and party games. How about a spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing with just Banjo characters? Or a Power Stone-style all-star fighting game with all Rare IP? The possibilities are indeed endless, and I keep waiting for the day that they wake up and realize this.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'd be happy with Yooka Laylee if it'd actually work and not have whole second long input lag for me.

A DKR follow up is something I've always wanted, though. The adventure elements and the fact that it was an item racer without RNG both made it wonderfully unique.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Certain high ups said that they'd be fine with it during the ballot, though we don't know if that's be at a decent price.
Yes I do recall this statement from a Microsoft High Up. I suppose the "wanting" part is not the tough part. Its the $$$ :D Has nintendo worked with Microsoft on any game? I cant name any off the top of my head.

-- On a side note. - Microsoft RUINED - Banjo- Kazooie. have you guys played Nuts N Bolts? OMG terrible horrible game. I did not like it 1 bit. I played half way thru and was upset that you really couldn't "die" among other things. bleh!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I have not played it myself but I think the general consensus is that it's a decent but not great game which has no right to insult things far better than itself or wear the face of an otherwise entirely unrelated series.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nuts & Bolts was Novel and that is about the best thing you can say about it. Not even considering the fact that it is nothing like a Banjo-Kazooie game; the driving and car building was clunky to say the least, the worlds were barren, and the humor felt forced overall. The game got good reviews because of it's novelty and, yeah, if you managed to make something that was relatively usable it was a decent amount of fun, that fun is locked behind a safe of unlockable that's locked in a prison of monotonous or boring tasks.

For as novel as the game was it sure didn't do the franchise any favors. It's a shame that so much focus was put on the vehicle aspect too because it's an absolute joy to trek around the town and scurry on power lines on foot but there's no reward for doing that besides the occasional 'parts crate' that had to be dragged back to Mumbo's for a part that will probably end up being useless.

The game probably would have had more fans if it was another IP but that in no way could have saved the game. It's... Fine, I suppose, but fun is far away in that stitched together worlds painted horizon.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Crud, last time I was on here, NonSpecificGuy wasn't a mod... Time flies.

Banjo and Kazooie have always been the only fighters I've wanted in Smash before the roster would feel truly complete. They mean so much to me. Count me in as a supporter.

D

Deleted member

I'd be happy with Yooka Laylee if it'd actually work and not have whole second long input lag for me.
I preordered Yooka-Laylee and I haven't played the game since release.
My problem with YL is that the game is the opposite of BK. Levels are huge without any help from Quils (like Notes do in BK) and a lot of these Quils are too hidden, there are way too many moves and it's hard to know which one you will need in an upcoming scenario, and the cast is reoccurring without sticking to a general level theme.
I would be a bit more disappointed if I helped fund the game (I almost did, however), but I think the game didn't match the potential that it could have reached or the expectations I had for it.

I haven't played Tooie, but I have played the original and I love it! The levels are memorable in terms of layout and while the worlds are bigger than a level in Mario 64, the Notes helped you show which paths you have taken.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Banjo & Kazooie would be like a dream come true. They're pretty much the only third party character I care about. And they're probably more likely now than they have been in years with Microsoft saying they're open to the idea.

Not that it means they're very likely, I just like to have hope.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Pretty dead thread D:

Well, time to revive it with this news:

First4Figures will be making Rare Ltd. character figures, including those from Banjo-Kazooie and Conker.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pretty dead thread D:

Well, time to revive it with this news:

First4Figures will be making Rare Ltd. character figures, including those from Banjo-Kazooie and Conker.
Oh noooooooo

My moneyyyyyyyyy

First for figures make awesome stuff, but I haven't picked any up since that old Link statue and Skull Kid... because... you know... money.

Guess now I'm gonna be eating more spaghetti in the future. x_x

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sigh, my brother is playing Banjo on Xbox and it's made me sad again.

I miss the bear and bird.

Maybe Microsoft will one day drop the Xbox brand and let them develop for any system.

And maybe outsource Banjo to a company that is still competent.

Top Bottom