• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Mumbo is also a bit... culturally insensitive. Just a bit. But he is such a major character that I think he'd do well as an assist trophy, possibly with the ability of transforming other characters into termites or washing machines for a short period of time.

But he's certainly the second (err... third) most important character in the series. Gruntilda could make for a fun fighter, but I'm not a huge proponent of villains needing to be playable. Like for instance, I'd much rather have Tails playable than Robotnik, but some people just really love their villains so I can understand the argument. Also, with Bayonetta and maybe Ashley, there sure are plenty of witches that could potentially be in this series all of a sudden.
My main qualm with having two B-K representatives is the fact that only one character is played as for majority of the series (I know Mumbo is playable for short bursts in Tooie, but all he did was run around, fire short electric blasts & used context-sensitive pads.) It's not like the Sonic series where most to all of the menagerie is playable in some form in the main series.
However, if we were to receive a second RAREWARE rep, I'd welcome that with flying colors.
Besides the tirade, I'd very much like to be added to the support thread.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I always imagined that if banjo stayed with Nintendo we would have had banjo in melee, mumbo in brawl & grunty in for.

as for the one 3rd party character "rule" 1: there are no rules as sakurai always breaks his rules latter on anyway & 2: Banjo-Kazooie would be an exeption as they where owned by Nintendo & don't say no rare owned them B/C that's wrong Nintendo owned a lot of rare at the time just like Nintendo owns a part of game freak & would make pokemon not Nintendo by that logic so banjo should be an eception to that rule as there has never been a 1st/2nd party character turnd 3rd party in smash B4 so I say bring on mumbo & grunty! (& conker too) but that's dreaming big lol

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Please add me; I thought I was on the list already but just checked and apparently I'm not on it for some reason. Weird.
Your username sounds familiar! You were likely on the support list in the old thread in the groups, but those were nuked so it was all lost to the ether.

Added you to the new one

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
If we COULD get a second Banjo rep, who would everyone support?

Conventional wisdom would point to Mumbo Jumbo as he is also playable, but I really like the idea of him as an assist trophy.

My pick is Gruntilda, as it would give the game a heavyweight, hard hitting mage. Also, her victory scene would be hilarious with sexy Gruntilda flaunting her beauty’(especially hatter her in match taunts and idle animation emphasize a very crude nature).
Gruntilda would be my second choice for a Banjo-Kazooie character inclusion. She could cast spells and maybe use her broom to charge into opponents. Of course, you can't miss the opportunity for Grunty to have rhymes for every character on the roster. Now that would be a awesome treat.

The next option would be Mumbo and after that would be a toss-up.

It's funny to think that if Banjo & Kazooie had remained with Nintendo we'd probably have playable Gruntilda by now.
It kinda sad actually. What could have been. I was looking forward to a proposed Banjo-Threeie title on the Gamecube. We could have had Mumbo too perhaps. It's hard for me to call Banjo & Kazooie "3rd Party characters" considering that Banjo was marketed with Mario back then. Call me nostalgic, but to me, Banjo & Kazooie will always be 2nd party characters and a part of Nintendo's history with Rare.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
If we COULD get a second Banjo rep, who would everyone support?

Conventional wisdom would point to Mumbo Jumbo as he is also playable, but I really like the idea of him as an assist trophy.

My pick is Gruntilda, as it would give the game a heavyweight, hard hitting mage. Also, her victory scene would be hilarious with sexy Gruntilda flaunting her beauty’(especially hatter her in match taunts and idle animation emphasize a very crude nature).
I'm Torn. Grunty seems like the best choice for a second..... third? Banjo rep (2nd slot, 3rd character) and she'd probably have a fun moveset. but then we wouldn't get her rhymes featured in a stage or an assist trophy or whatever. unless it was a codec call/ palutena's guidance type secret taunt. which would be cool too.
Mumbo could also work. he was even playable in Tooie so it'd make sense. but he doesn't feel quite as exciting moveset-wise. so I'd probably still go with Gruntilda.

It kinda sad actually. What could have been. I was looking forward to a proposed Banjo-Threeie title on the Gamecube. We could have had Mumbo too perhaps. It's hard for me to call Banjo & Kazooie "3rd Party characters" considering that Banjo was marketed with Mario back then. Call me nostalgic, but to me, Banjo & Kazooie will always be 2nd party characters and a part of Nintendo's history with Rare.
I feel the same way. to me the Banjo franchise is a part of Nintendo. Banjo live in the Nintendo universe alongside the Kong Clan, the residents of the Mushroom Kingdom and all the other Nintendo franchises. he's just... away from home right now....

had the buyout never happened. Grunty and Mumbo would be playable by now.
we'd be waiting on the release of Banjo-Fivie and discussing if Ghost Bottles, Tiptup, Jolly or Boggy is next in line to be playable.
*sigh* if only...

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of funny, how the support for Banjo-Kazooie is so large that the SUPPORT THREAD promoting said characters has shifted to Gruntilda and Mumbo.
The want for BK is so ginormous, people haven't bothered to support them in their own thread.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Mumbo Jumbo as an assist trophy:

Mumbo appears as a non combative assist character. All players freeze right where they are at and begin to levitate (even if they were off stage).

Cue the Mumbo Jumbo transformation jingle complete with chanting.

All players turn into another randomly selected character from the roster for 20 seconds or so before transforming back

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My main qualm with having two B-K representatives is the fact that only one character is played as for majority of the series (I know Mumbo is playable for short bursts in Tooie, but all he did was run around, fire short electric blasts & used context-sensitive pads.) It's not like the Sonic series where most to all of the menagerie is playable in some form in the main series.
However, if we were to receive a second RAREWARE rep, I'd welcome that with flying colors.
Besides the tirade, I'd very much like to be added to the support thread.
Conker in addition to Banjo Kazooie anyone? Now that would be a sight to see in Smash, though I honestly doubt Sakurai would do it even if he had the chance...because well... Bad Fur Day might make a move set faithful for him a little too risque. Hilarious and amazing, but probably wouldn't sit too well.

All of that said, let's just focus on getting Banjo in to the game. I'm officially more on board for his inclusion than ever before the more I've thought about it (And by god if we're getting someone from Microsoft he is the only one that actually makes sense). I used to be opposed to the idea of a rival companies character in the game, but Banjo just has way too special of a situation for me to fully ignore (And we kind of already stole Snake and Cloud from Sony anyway...)

Plus I just want to play Smash to Banjo Kazooie music

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Conker would be fun, he made my top ten most wanted which is heavily Rare focused

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
All of that said, let's just focus on getting Banjo in to the game. I'm officially more on board for his inclusion than ever before the more I've thought about it (And by god if we're getting someone from Microsoft he is the only one that actually makes sense). I used to be opposed to the idea of a rival companies character in the game, but Banjo just has way too special of a situation for me to fully ignore (And we kind of already stole Snake and Cloud from Sony anyway...)

Plus I just want to play Smash to Banjo Kazooie music
I completely agree with you on focusing on Banjo getting in first of all lol, and yeah when I people say it would be impossible for him to be in Smash cuz he's owned by Microsoft yet are completely okay with Steve from Minecraft and freaking Master Chief, that ticks me off lmao.

I completely agree with you too BravadoMan, they will always be important to Nintendo's history and I consider far less as third party characters since they're like Mega Man. They started on Nintendo and should return to Nintendo where they can be treated with the respect they deserve.

I also get super freaking sad when people refer to the series as a "dead" franchise. Its not their fault they haven't been in any new games for over 10 years! They really need this inclusion into Smash. Imagine what it could do for them. It would revitalize their popularity and probably give them a chance to get remasters or even a new game! Heck just having them be on Nintendo Switch would be absolutely mind blowing.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I completely agree with you on focusing on Banjo getting in first of all lol, and yeah when I people say it would be impossible for him to be in Smash cuz he's owned by Microsoft yet are completely okay with Steve from Minecraft and freaking Master Chief, that ticks me off lmao.
It's not even impossible anyways. They kept the Microsoft skins like Banjo & Kazooie on the Switch version of Minecraft, so it's not like Nintendo is afraid of associating with Microsoft's brands under any and all circumstances.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
hay if solid snake can be in smash SNAPING MARIOS NECK & bayonetta USING GUNS WITH REALISTIC LOOKING BULLETES & A DEAMONED THAT EATS YOU TO DEATH FINAL SMASH I'd say conker could be in smash easy remember conker wasn't all that bad it was the world around him his move set could use frying pan, baseball bat, giant toilet paper, slingshot, samurai sword, cartoon bomb (those bowling ball looking bombs) Diddy kong racing vehicles or powers ups & much more heck even some made up moves for smash after all conkers game had context sensitive gameplay

On a separate note if banjo gets in I wonder if we will get other rare IP as assist trophys or trophys or even mii costumes ?

hopefully Diddy Kong Racing stage too

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Honestly, if Banjo-Kazooie does make it in, I'd rather have Assist Trophies from other Rare properties than more Banjo-Kazooie ones. Like, I'd definitely take a Conker AT over a Mumbo or Gruntilda one, or even Battletoads or Fulgore from Killer Instinct, which were also pretty big for Nintendo back in the day.

And yeah! If Microsoft is involved, we'd be able to get Diddy Kong Racing content! Heck, Diddy could jump in his DKR plane and missile barrage the stage for his new Final Smash!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Conker would use classic sticks of TNT, not a bomb.

It was be his down B to light the fuse on the TNT, which would start an audible ticking clock that would take around ten seconds or so to explode. Yeah it would slow, but it would be KO at lower percentages and have a lot of reach.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
If Conker is an AT, I only want him to use one weapon... the Chainsaw. Just seeing a Squirrel scramble around the stage revvin' that Chainsaw chasing the players around would be hilariously terrifying!

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If any other Rare characters were to be chosen as an Assist Trophy I'd choose; Joanna Dark or Conker.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Well yeah, this is all hypothetical based on IF Banjo-Kazooie makes it in, kinda goes without saying, but yeah.

Also, I just remembered, Conker's Bad Fur Day never came out in Japan, right? Not on N64 anyway... So I kinda doubt Conker would get in as an AT if that's the case.

I want to re-iterate that Fulgore from Killer Instinct would be great to see as an Assist Trophy. When Killer Instinct released on the SNES and Arcade, it was Nintendo's answer to Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II, and at the time, Nintendo made a huge deal about it. And if Banjo-Kazooie represented Rare in the 64-bit era, Killer Instinct would do it for the 16-bit one. Plus, it's a fighting franchise, very easy to slip into Smash Bros.. But of course, Banjo-Kazooie is the bigger mascot for Rare, and is the obvious pick for playable character in Smash Bros. over anyone else from not only Rare, but Microsoft as a whole.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well yeah, this is all hypothetical based on IF Banjo-Kazooie makes it in, kinda goes without saying, but yeah.

Also, I just remembered, Conker's Bad Fur Day never came out in Japan, right? Not on N64 anyway... So I kinda doubt Conker would get in as an AT if that's the case.

I want to re-iterate that Fulgore from Killer Instinct would be great to see as an Assist Trophy. When Killer Instinct released on the SNES and Arcade, it was Nintendo's answer to Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II, and at the time, Nintendo made a huge deal about it. And if Banjo-Kazooie represented Rare in the 64-bit era, Killer Instinct would do it for the 16-bit one. Plus, it's a fighting franchise, very easy to slip into Smash Bros.. But of course, Banjo-Kazooie is the bigger mascot for Rare, and is the obvious pick for playable character in Smash Bros. over anyone else from not only Rare, but Microsoft as a whole.
Yeah, the Live And Reloaded version came out over there. Oddly enough, Pocket Tales never did (not that anyone would remember that game).

There's also some more obscure Rare characters that could get the AT treatment, like Juno and Vela, or Sabre Wulf.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I would love for conker to be in playable or AT & using a chainsaw lol & if Bowser Jr can use saws & drills on people a chainsaw is fair game but I could also see conker being like the shyguys on the Mario kart stage if we get a diddy kong racing stage probly with the other racers as well witch would be cool too

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Conker’s B Special

Rev Chainsaw

Conker pulls out a chainsaw as you hold B and holds it in front oh him. This move has little knock back and is not a kill move. The big draw is that if the enemy shields it breaks the shield very quickly, like in a few frames (faster than Ryu’s strong tilt). If the enemy does not shield it does decent damage and due to its small knock back, can be a combo starter

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I just want Banjo 1st. Sure assist trophy of other Rare characters would be cool but I’m here for my support of the Bear and the Bird. Truthfully that’s the last thing I want in Smash. If we got nothing else I’d honestly be good forever.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I still have a few characters besides Banjo but he's my ultimate pipe dream character just because he was impossible for so long so once he gets in I'm instantly satisfied with the roster even if none of my other characters make it

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I also get super freaking sad when people refer to the series as a "dead" franchise. Its not their fault they haven't been in any new games for over 10 years! They really need this inclusion into Smash. Imagine what it could do for them. It would revitalize their popularity and probably give them a chance to get remasters or even a new game! Heck just having them be on Nintendo Switch would be absolutely mind blowing.
Yeah, their Franchise may have been dormant for a long time now. but it's definitely not dead. and the characters almost certainly aren't.

if we want to get technical, it hasn't even been 10 years since Banjo and Kazooie last graced our screens. their last (new) playable appearance was in Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing as a special exclusive character for the Xbox 360 version. which was in early 2010.
since then they also got a skin based on them in Minecraft that got added in July 2012
and then all 3 of their console games were re-released as part of Rare Replay in 2015
So while they haven't STARED in any new games for their own franchise, they've still been around.
which is better than could be said for Crash Bandicoot for 6+ years until the N-Sane Trilogy happened.

and now for their 20th anniversary we are getting plushies and a Totaku and a Statue and possibly more.

Banjo & Kazooie are far from dead. they've just been laying low for a bit.

and getting into Smash is the perfect way to Shock Spring Jump their way back into the spotlight!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The ultimate dream is that Microsoft allows them to be on both their console and Nintendo’s.

Maybe even make that fabled Donkey Kong Racihg game and allow Banjo as a racer.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Another thing, people keep pointing to the Nintendo/Microsoft partnership as too late in the development to lead to Banjo in the base roster, but has anyone considered the relationship occurred because of Nintendo approaching Microsoft (or vise versa) because of Banjo?

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
So.. THIS happened

It’s not quite Banjo in Smash. But it’s something..

Another thing, people keep pointing to the Nintendo/Microsoft partnership as too late in the development to lead to Banjo in the base roster, but has anyone considered the relationship occurred because of Nintendo approaching Microsoft (or vise versa) because of Banjo?
You know, that could be possible they started hashing things out for Banjo and started making further deals which just came to fruition quicker due to Smash still being in development

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Dang, I’m going to need to buy Brawlout! Also, I know it won’t happen, but Yooka Laylee in Smash Bros would be great also.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Yooka-Laylee in the Smash Bros. clone alongside other indie characters, and Banjo-Kazooie in the legit Smash Bros. along with all of the other large budget production company characters... It makes sense.

Also, the Nintendo/Microsoft partnership may have been in the works for years, we're only just now starting to see the fruits of the labor. Who's to say it's too late for B-K when nobody even knows when these talks even began.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
yooka-laylee in brawl out is cool (yooka laylee was a flawed & disappointing game to me but still fun ) happy to see them in it shocked it isn't shovel knight lol

& yooka & laylee's model looks really good compaired to the other charaters

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
@ Juliusaurus I say the M$ Nintendo talks began during getting DK 64 (& maybe the DKC trilogy since it was taken off the wii VC eshop for no reason but added to wiiu vc eshop ? ) on the wiiU eshop in 2015 so talks started B4 that game came out so they have been in talks for some time now as they needed to get the rights for jetpack a still rare owned IP

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
@ Juliusaurus I say the M$ Nintendo talks began during getting DK 64 (& maybe the DKC trilogy since it was taken off the wii VC eshop for no reason but added to wiiu vc eshop ? ) on the wiiU eshop in 2015 so talks started B4 that game came out so they have been in talks for some time now as they needed to get the rights for jetpack a still rare owned IP
Oh yeah! that's a good point. these talks with Microsoft could even stretch back that far and anything that happened shortly before/around 2015 is a good sign for smash ultimate.

I've got a weirdly good feeling about our favorite Bird and Bear duo.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Just now realized that Banjo Kazooie would be the first fully Western franchise in Smash if they made it in... It makes sense given this is Nintendo we're talking about, but still it's interesting.

(Unless someone like Rayman or an indie rep unstages them first...)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mumbo-Jumbo is the obligationary second Banjo-Kazooie character. I won't even debate this, it's purely based on logic, awesomeness, and my superior tastes

MattX20

Smash Hero
Years ago, people would've said it was impossible for this iconic platformer duo to join the battle. If Banjo and Kazooie do somehow make it, even as DLC, I would be happy for sure as I do have fond memories of the first game back from the N64 days.

Xylo-Phone

Smash Rookie
I support this 100%. I am curious however if they could implement an original moveset as well as one from nuts n' bolts as an echo fighter implementing vehicles and his new wrench. I know that's pretty farfetch'd but a fun idea none the less. It would also show that Microsoft and Nintendo are getting along.

Top Bottom