• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's unfortunate my top nostalgic games from my childhood are Banjo Kazooie and Golden Sun. They just don't have good odds! I'd be so happy with one of them. Banjo being first, I mean.
Hey now that's not true Isaac has a great shot Banjo is sadly more iffy but his shots aren't horrible and that's better than they've been in a long time. Since they're also my most wanted hopefully they both get included.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
This is what gets me! I know they can be done. You can feel the history that would be made with this and it just takes one talk with MS and the usual time spent developing a character to make it happen! They're popular enough to be a high ballot choice and MS is okay with it. What can hold them back now?
My only concern at this point is how many newcomers are actually in the game after Sakurai's comments of hoping to not expect too many newcomers and wanting to focus on the veterans, and while that could just mean don't expect as many newcomers as the last game, which is totally understandable considering there were over 20 last game, it's still a bit worrying lol. How high a priority Banjo-Kazooie would be in comparison to other newcomers is something to think about considering they haven't had any major games since 2008 and their popularity worldwide and not just in the west, obviously to me, its as high a priority as I can put it on lol. But that is something to think about. I'll feel more confident the more newcomers we see but it depends on what Sakurai has in mind. Of course, the other thing to think about is Ridley is now officially a playable character and Sakurai admitted that was because of countless fan requests. So clearly he's listening to the fans about what they want, I'm sure the Smash ballot wasn't just a way to choose a newcomer but to gauge who people really want, and if that's the case and this really is the ULTIMATE Smash Bros., hopefully we'll see a lot of fan-favorites, including the Bear and Bird. Hopefully Microsoft and Nintendo play ball and come to some sort of arrangement cuz Banjo-Kazooie NEED this. They need a resurgence just like Crash and Spyro. They certainly need it more than ******* Bubsy. **** Bubsy.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Hey now that's not true Isaac has a great shot Banjo is sadly more iffy but his shots aren't horrible and that's better than they've been in a long time. Since they're also my most wanted hopefully they both get included.
I'm very unfamiliar with Golden Sun but I'd LOVE to see Isaac, he seems like he'd be a good fit in Smash after being shafted last game from AT representation. Definitely in my top ten newcomers, the others being you-know-whooie, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, King K. Rool, Ridley (who obviously made it in), Paper Mario, Shovel Knight, and Crono from Chrono Trigger.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
My only concern at this point is how many newcomers are actually in the game after Sakurai's comments of hoping to not expect too many newcomers and wanting to focus on the veterans, and while that could just mean don't expect as many newcomers as the last game.
It seems like many are pessimistic about this. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we still ended up getting 8 more unique newcomers and 4 echo newcomers, but we don't know what a lot of the dev time's been devoted to other than characters and stages, so it's hard to guess a maximum that's realistic until we see modes shown off.

How high a priority Banjo-Kazooie would be in comparison to other newcomers is something to think about considering they haven't had any major games since 2008 and their popularity worldwide and not just in the west, obviously to me, its as high a priority as I can put it on lol.
In a game of fan-favorites, ballot ranking should put newcomers on a higher priority pedestal than relevance, especially for 3rd parties who have a "legacy" and/or "nostalgia" status like B&K do. If they're anywhere close to what online polls suggest, they have a good shot of being picked even if they never get a game again. Remember that the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter was active and reminding people of the origin at the same time as the ballot and Phil Spencer at the very least is open to making it happen.

They need a resurgence just like Crash and Spyro. They certainly need it more than ******* Bubsy. **** Bubsy.
The resurgence of Crash and Spyro embraced the qualities of those franchises while Bubsy embraced the memes. I don't honestly know which one B&K would fall under until I saw who was developing it because Rare is not Rare anymore.

I'm very unfamiliar with Golden Sun but I'd LOVE to see Isaac, he seems like he'd be a good fit in Smash after being shafted last game from AT representation. Definitely in my top ten newcomers, the others being you-know-whooie, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, King K. Rool, Ridley (who obviously made it in), Paper Mario, Shovel Knight, and Crono from Chrono Trigger.
I'm noticing quite an overlap between the Isaac and B&K fans, even if they don't necessarily know the other's series, and it makes me really happy. They've both deserved better Smash luck than they've gotten and their franchises have too much potential to die off!

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
So while I'm thinking about it actually, I figured I'd weigh in on how Banjo-Kazooie would work in Smash. I know its been done before but it's nice to jot down ideas for discussion especially in matters such as this! So here we go! In honor of their twentieth anniversary!

Banjo-Kazooie are Rarin' to Go!

Banjo-Kazooie are Raring to Go!.jpg

As far as their fighter characteristics go, Banjo-Kazooie are size and weight-wise along the same lines as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. They have middleweight characteristics and have a good balance of speed and power. They possess a bit of traction that causes them to slide a bit when turning around. Because of Kazooie's avian capabilities, Banjo has two standard floaty jumps, the double jump turns into a Feathery Flap when the jump button is held that allows a bit extra horizontal distance and decreased falling before dropping, as in their platforming games. Banjo has one of the slowest dashes in Smash Bros., running as fast as Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Robin, and Incineroar. However, by inputting the shield and left taunt inputs and holding the shield button, Banjo can allow Kazooie to run with the Talon Trot, allowing a tremendous boost of speed and jumping ability! Although they are unable to naturally attack while in this form, they can run as fast as Yoshi and jump much higher! Releasing the Talon Trot input or pressing the attack or special buttons returns Kazooie into Banjo's backpack, allowing for speedy approaches and attack followups! On the battlefield when Banjo & Kazooie are in play, Feather & Egg Nests will frequently pop up in random places for Banjo & Kazooie to collect, a la their collectathon-themed games! These nests feature Red & Golden Feathers and Blue, Fire, Ice, Battery, Clockwork Kazooie, and Grenade Eggs which aid in the use of moves such as their Flight Pad, WonderWing, and Egg Shot/Reverse Egg Shots. They will start off with a set amount of Blue Eggs and Red Feathers each match and must collect Golden Feathers and the Special Eggs to be able to utilize them in the field. These few details give Banjo-Kazooie a few extra options in traversal across Nintendo's many stages!

• On-Screen Appearance: An Exit Pad from Banjo-Kazooie appears on the stage and Banjo-Kazooie teleport onto the stage with a bit of magic.
  • Idle Poses:
    • Banjo looks around his environment with Kazooie occasionally peeking out of his backpack either partially or wholly.
    • Kazooie will occasionally pop out of Banjo's backpack and peck Banjo on both sides of his head, causing Banjo to scratch his head in pain while Kazooie chuckles. On rare occasions when Kazooie does this, Banjo will choke her out like in Banjo-Tooie!
  • Taunts:
    • Up Taunt: Kazooie will flap out of Banjo's backpack in a burst of glee before returning to it.
    • Side Taunt: Banjo-Kazooie check out their Magic Wrench from Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts stored in their backpack, which briefly sparks with energy, before Kazooie shakes her head in disapproval and throws it away. The Wrench will bounce on the ground once before disappearing, and it can cause slight stun damage if it hits an opponent.
    • Down Taunt: Banjo-Kazooie pull out their banjo and kazoo and play a quick snippet of their theme song.
  • Moveset:
    • Claw Swipe-Peck: Banjo-Kazooie's neutral attack is Banjo's Claw Swipe from Banjo-Kazooie and Kazooie's Peck from Banjo-Tooie combined, a standard Punch-Punch-Punch combo that turns into an infinite when Kazooie pops out to peck unsuspecting opponents, ending with a whack from her wings.
    • Forward Roll: Banjo-Kazooie's dash attack is the Forward Roll from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, Banjo rolls in a ball with Kazooie covering him with her wings for extra protection like in Tooie, allowing them to barrel through opponents.
    • Pack Whack: Banjo-Kazooie's forward tilt attack is the Pack Whack from Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (not to be confused with Banjo's standard attack move during Split Up from Banjo-Tooie), where Banjo takes his backpack and hits the ground in front of him.
    • Sky Peck: Banjo-Kazooie's up tilt is the Sky Peck, an original move where Kazooie pops out quick to peck opponents above her, great for juggling set ups.
    • Beak Barge: Banjo-Kazooie's down tilt is the Beak Barge from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, where Kazooie lunges forward low into opponents and barges through them. Has a bit of starting lag but allows for safe traversal and dodging certain projectiles akin to Mega Man and Cloud's down tilts.
    • Breegull Bash: Banjo-Kazooie's forward smash is the Breegull Bash from Banjo-Tooie, where Banjo takes his partner and slams her directly in front of him, much to her chagrin. It causes terrific knockback and causes a seismic effect around the front of them similar to Donkey Kong's Ground Pound, allowing safety even if they miss.
    • Flap Flip: Banjo-Kazooie's up smash is a variation of the Flap Flip from Banjo-Kazooie, where Banjo-Kazooie do an acrobatic flip attack that has good upward range and aerial knockback but can leave them slightly vulnerable to opponents in front and behind of them.
    • Wing Swipe: Banjo-Kazooie's down smash is an original move where Banjo spins around and Kazooie swipes and trips opponents with her wings, causing consecutive damage akin to Pikachu/Pichu's down smash or Young Link/Toon Link's spin attack.
    • Air Pack Whack: Banjo-Kazooie's neutral aerial is Banjo's standard attack when Split Up from Kazooie from Banjo-Tooie where Banjo takes his backpack and swings it around him in a circle. This move allows him to temporarily hover like when Mario uses his Cape, granting the pair a moment to further recover.
    • Rat-a-Tat Rap: Banjo-Kazooie's forward aerial is the Rat-a-Tat Rap from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie where Kazooie pops out and pecks opponents directly in front of her in succession. Kazooie's reach is deceptive as she stretches her neck out and the last peck is especially effective, sending opponents downward at a slight angle. It is also able to be used effectively close to the ground with short jump inputs.
    • Wing Winder: Banjo-Kazooie's backward aerial is an original move where Kazooie flaps at opponents with her wings, similar in style to Corrin's back aerial, landing consecutive hits and blowing them away slightly with a gust of wind on the last blow like Mr. Game & Watch's up aerial.
    • Wing Whack: Banjo-Kazooie's upward aerial is the Wing Whack, Kazooie's standard attack when Split Up from Banjo from Banjo-Tooie modified to be more vertical in appearance where Kazooie pops completely out of Banjo's backpack and does a circular wing attack that allows her to hit opponents above her, in front of her, and behind her. It is most effective on opponents directly above her but causes damage in front and behind her as well.
    • Beak Buster/Bill Drill: Banjo-Kazooie's downward aerial is the Beak Buster and Bill Drill from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, where Banjo-Kazooie curl into a ball and plummet downwards to the ground causing damage to anyone beneath them. It can be cancelled out of as a Beak Buster. Holding the attack button causes the pair to hover temporarily as it turns the Beak Buster into the Bill Drill which causes extensive consecutive damage and has a meteor smash effect but is unable to be canceled out of like the Beak Buster if it misses an opponent, allowing for self-destructs if used off the arena.
    • Taxi Pack: Banjo-Kazooie's grab is Banjo's Taxi Pack from Banjo-Tooie where when separated, he can use his backpack to transport other beings or objects instead of Kazooie. He takes off his backpack and swipes an opponent into it! Of course, unfortunately for their opponents, Kazooie is still in the pack!
    • Peck Pummel: Banjo-Kazooie's pummel attack is Kazooie attacking their opponent inside the backpack!
    • Banjo Do-Si-Do: Banjo-Kazooie's forward throw is similar to Mario's back throw where they swing an opponent inside his backpack and send them flying forward.
    • Backpack Back Attack: Banjo-Kazooie's backward throw is a two-person combo where Banjo flings them behind him and Kazooie smacks them out of the backpack.
    • Peak Peck Attack: Banjo-Kazooie's upward throw has Banjo fling them upwards and Kazooie pecks them in the back out of the pack to send them upward.
    • Beak Buster Blitz: Banjo-Kazooie's down throw has Banjo throw the person out of the backpack into the ground and Banjo-Kazooie do a quick Beak Buster on them.
    • Breakdancing Bear and Bird: Banjo-Kazooie's attack when knocked down to the ground is a slight breakdance move where Banjo and Kazooie kick and swipe whoever's nearest to them individually, so when Banjo's backpack is towards an opponent on the left and Banjo's feet are on the right, they'll attack whoever's near them.
    • Grip Grab Peck: Banjo-Kazooie's attack when grabbing a ledge is a variation of the Grip Grab attack from Banjo-Tooie where Kazooie will peck at an enemy directly in front of her.
    • Egg Shot/Reverse Egg Shot: Banjo-Kazooie's standard special is the Egg Shot from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie where Kazooie fires eggs a great distance in front of her at opponents, at least the length of Battlefield. She can cycle through six eggs by holding down B, each with their own properties and speed, and an icon is featured at the top of their stock icon to show which egg is featured and how many of each egg they possess. She can also shoot eggs in reverse by holding B and then tilting the control stick in the opposite direction, allowing protection from behind, although the eggs will bounce instead of traveling a great distance and are subject to gravity. They start off with 100 standard Blue Eggs and 5 of each Special Egg at the beginning of each match and must collect their Special Eggs from Egg Nests that frequently pop up in random places across the battlefield. The Blue Egg can fire rapidly at a speed akin to Mega Man's Mega Buster by tapping the special button consecutively, allowing slight stun damage but not heavy damage percentages. The Fire Egg can cause burn damage and good knockback but is slightly slower than the standard Blue Egg. The Ice Egg has a chance of freezing an opponent and has the same speed as the Fire Egg. The Battery Egg from Grunty's Revenge causes electrical damage and a stun effect but causes only slight knockback. It is slightly faster than the Fire and Ice Eggs. The Clockwork Kazooie egg sends out a miniature Kazooie bomb akin to Bowser Jr.'s Mechakoopas that walk around the stage before blowing up, however, unlike Bowser Jr., Kazooie can cause them to explode prematurely by pressing the special button at will. They can damage Banjo-Kazooie if not careful, however. The Grenade Egg is the strongest Egg in their arsenal and unleashes by holding down the special button for the duration of the charging process, causing tremendous knockback and explosion, but are incredibly slow-moving and can damage Banjo-Kazooie greatly if not careful.
    • Beak Bomb: Banjo-Kazooie's forward special is the Beak Bomb from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, where Banjo-Kazooie charge up similar to Pikachu and Pichu's Skull Bash and Luigi's Green Missile before launching forward, allowing for great knockback and damage, however it does cause damage upon the bear and bird when charged fully, similar to Charizard's Flare Blitz! They can slightly control which direction they go while charging so it's great for horizontal recoveries and can combo into their Up Special. This move does use up Red Feathers, so use it wisely and conservatively!
    • Flight Pad: Banjo-Kazooie's up special is the Flight Pad from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, summoning a Flight Pad that allows them a terrific jump boost and two extra flaps before going helpless. It can be controlled to go in any direction upward, however they cannot attack until finished. In conjunction with the Beak Bomb, they have tremendous recovery potential. This move does use up Red Feathers, so use it wisely and conservatively.
    • Wonderwing: Banjo-Kazooie's down special is the Wonderwing ability from Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, where Kazooie shields Banjo with an invincible force field that protects them from harm, acting as a counter, a reflector, and a shield, similar to Palutena's Counter/Reflector and Pit/Dark Pit's Guardian Orbitars. This move requires Golden Feathers to function, which appear in Feather Nests that frequently pop up across the battlefield, although Golden Feathers appear much rarer than Red Feathers, so the Wonderwing is a conservative move that should only be used in extreme situations.
    • Daddy T. Rex & Dragon Kazooie: Banjo-Kazooie's Final Smash is the Dragon Kazooie and Daddy T. Rex transformation from Banjo-Tooie! Mumbo Jumbo and Humba Wumba combine their magical shaman spells to transform Kazooie into Dragon Kazooie, who hops out of Banjo's backpack attacking and targeting whoever she can reach. Once she's attacked one or enough characters before the time limit runs out, she magically returns to Banjo's backpack and the duo transforms into the gigantic Daddy T. Rex, who rampages across the stage trampling and flinging opponents and lets out an ear-shattering roar that causes tremendous knockback!
    • The Mighty Jinjonator: Another alternate Final Smash available exclusively on Banjo & Kazooie's home stage is the Mighty Jinjonator! Summoned when Jinjos on Spiral Mountain are collected by Banjo & Kazooie (or any fighter who is successful in rescuing all five) before the stage reaches the top of Gruntilda's Lair, the Mighty Jinjonator will activate as soon as Gruntilda shows up, bashing into the nearest opponents and causing tremendous knockback and damage!
  • Home Stage:
    • Spiral Mountain: The iconic hub world of Banjo-Kazooie makes its appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a traveling stage akin to Delfino Plaza, the Halberd, Rainbow Road, and Wuhu Island. Starting in front of Banjo's house in a little alcove, the stage travels in random order to the vegetable garden nearby where the pair learn the Rat-a-Tat-Rap (a flying cauliflower will occasionally appear and can be damaged), the rock quarry where the pair learn the Beak Barge (rocks with eyes watch and follow the fight and two on each side of the battlefield can be smashed to reveal an item), the small stone bridge viewing the waterfall (a carrot will appear bouncing in the background), the waterfall itself with four ascending platform areas, the tree stumps where the duo learn the Flip Flap and the Feathery Flap, the top of Spiral Mountain where the bridge to Gruntilda's Lair is located, her face on the mountain glares at the battle, and then finally and always in the end to the top of Gruntilda's Lair where Gruntilda is waiting to taunt the fighters in her own inimitable rhyming fashion, hurl magical spells, and swoop onto the battlefield on her dangerous broomstick to damage players, before returning down to Banjo's House where Tooty, Bottles, Mumbo-Jumbo, the Jinjos, Brentilda, Jamjars, and Humba-Wumba cheer the fighters on! Throughout the stage, Jinjos will appear for the fighters to collect. If one fighter manages to snag all five by the time they reach the top of Gruntilda's Lair, they will summon the Mighty Jinjonator who will blitz the battlefield, attacking both Gruntilda and any opponents who did not summon it, causing tremendous knockback and damage and more than likely scoring some serious KOs.
  • Music:
    • Banjo-Kazooie Medley: An original composition for Smash created by Grant Kirkhope, the originator of Banjo-Kazooie's amazing music, starting with the opening tune to Banjo-Kazooie before transitioning into remixes of the Spiral Mountain, Gruntilda's Lair, Mumbo's Mountain, Treasure Trove Cove, Clanker's Cavern, Bubblegloop Swamp, Freezeezy Peak, Gobi's Valley, Mad Monster Mansion, Rusty Bucket Bay, and Click Clock Wood themes from Banjo-Kazooie, then transitioning into their victory tune when collecting all Jiggies in a level before starting all over again.
    • Spiral Mountain (Remix): An orchestral remix of the Spiral Mountain theme from Banjo-Kazooie, featuring some notes from the Banjo-Kazooie theme and Gruntilda's lair.
    • Spiral Mountain (Original): The original Spiral Mountain theme lifted straight from Banjo-Kazooie unchanged.
    • Gruntilda's Lair (Remix): A rock remix of the theme from Gruntilda's Lair with flourishes of various versions of the theme from throughout the game representing various levels from Banjo-Kazooie.
    • Gruntilda's Lair (Original): The original Gruntilda's Lair theme lifted straight from Banjo-Kazooie unchanged.
    • Click Clock Wood (Spring): The original Spring version of Click Clock Wood lifted straight from Banjo-Kazooie unchanged.
    • Final Battle (Banjo-Kazooie) (Remix): A new dance version of the final battle theme from Banjo-Kazooie where they fight Gruntilda atop her lair.
    • Banjo-Tooie Medley: An original composition for Smash created by Grant Kirkhope featuring remixes of the Jinjo Village, Isle of Hags, Mayahem Temple, Glitter Gulch Mine, Witchyworld, Jolly Roger's Lagoon/Atlantis, Terrydactyland, Grunty Industries, Hailfire Peaks, & Cloud Cuckooland themes from Banjo-Tooie.
    • Mr. Patch's Theme: The original theme to the Mr. Patch (Strange Wobbly Inflatable Thing) boss battle in Witchyworld lifted straight from Banjo-Tooie unchanged.
    • Boss Battle Remix Medley (Banjo-Tooie): A new rock composition for Smash featuring a medley of boss themes from Banjo-Tooie, including those of Klungo, Targitzan, Old King Coal, Mr. Patch, Lord Woo Fak Fak, Terry, Weldar, Chilly Billy/Chilly Willy, Mingy Jongo, & the Hag-1.
    • Banjoland Visitors This Way! (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts): The unaltered orchestrated medley of various themes from Banjo-Kazooie made for the Banjo-Kazooie Museum-themed world Banjoland in Nuts n' Bolts. Comprised of the Click Clock Wood, Freezeezy Peak, Mad Monster Mansion, Gobi's Valley, Cloud Cuckooland, Mayahem Temple, and Rusty Bucket Bay themes, respectively.
    • Banjoland Buffoonery (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts): The unaltered orchestrated theme to the Banjoland world in Nuts n' Bolts that comprised of a medley of various Banjo-Kazooie themes from their past games sped up for the Challenge Mode.
    • Grapplin' with Grunty (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts): The unaltered reorchestrated version of Gruntilda's Lair used as part of the final battle at Spiral Mountain in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts.
    • Victory Theme: A reorchestrated version of the Door Open Theme from Banjo-Kazooie plays as Banjo & Kazooie's victory theme in Smash Bros.
    • Pause Screen Theme: Special to Banjo & Kazooie, a reorchestrated version of the pause screen theme from Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts plays on loop instead of the Smash victory theme when they win a match.
  • Alternate Costumes:
    • Brown & Red: Their classic N64 appearance brought back in glorious HD with accentuated detail on their fur, feathers, and clothing. They look very similar to their 3D renders from marketing of the original games with a bit of stitchwork on Banjo's backpack and shorts resembling their appearance in Nuts n' Bolts. Banjo has his brown fur with a blue backpack and yellow shorts while Kazooie has bright red-orange feathers and a yellow beak!
    • Red & Brown: A reverse color swap of the two, Banjo has red fur while still retaining his blue backpack and yellow shorts while Kazooie is now brown in hue representing Banjo's brown fur.
    • Blue & Yellow: Banjo's fur turns blue like his backpack which becomes red while Kazooie's feathers become bright yellow like Banjo's shorts which are now brown.
    • Yellow & Turquoise: Banjo's fur becomes blonde in color while Kazooie's feathers become a bright turquoise color, Banjo's fur resembling the color of his shorts which become a teal color, his backpack turns yellow, and Kazooie's feathers having a similar hue to the blue eggs she projects.
    • Green & Purple (Gruntilda): Banjo's fur turns lime green, Kazooie actually turns into Dragon Kazooie from Banjo-Tooie, and Banjo's shorts & backpack actually turn purple, in reference to their archenemy Gruntilda and could also be considered references to Tooty after being robbed of her beauty and of Gruntilda's minion Klungo.
    • Pink & Yellow (Mumbo Jumbo): Banjo's fur turns bright pink and Kazooie's feathers turn a more muted yellow, a reference to their ally Mumbo Jumbo. His pants and backpack turn brown and red, respectively, referencing Mumbo Jumbo's brown loincloth and red feathers. It can also be a reference to Banjo's little sister Tooty.
    • White (Boggy): Banjo's fur & Kazooie's feathers turn white like a polar bear's while Banjo's pants and backpack turn plaided red and yellow, a reference to their polar bear friend Boggy and his scarf from Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, & Nuts n' Bolts.
    • Black (Conga): Banjo's fur becomes a dark grey color and his shorts & backpack turn red while Kazooie turns a bright brown/dull orange, a reference to their gorilla enemy Conga and their monkey friend Chimpy.
  • Assist Trophy:
    • Mumbo Jumbo: Similar to Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles, when the shaman Mumbo Jumbo is summoned, he stands on the field for a bit of time and performs some random magical effects from Banjo-Tooie while chanting EEKUM BOKUM EEKUM BOKUM, among them transforming opponents into washing machines that renders them slow, heavy, and unable to attack temporarily other than bumping into opponents, enlarge the player who summons him like he does in Terrydactyland, heal health like on the Isle of Hags, levitate opponents into helplessness temporarily like in Glitter Gulch Mine, and zap nearby opponents with magic like he does for his standard attack in Banjo-Tooie as well as with the Power and EMP spells from Witchyworld and Grunty Industries!
  • Trophies/Spirits:
    • Banjo & Kazooie
    • Banjo & Kazooie (All-Star)
    • Daddy T-Rex
    • Tooty
    • Bottles the Mole
    • Mumbo Jumbo
    • The Jinjos
    • Jiggies
    • Eggs
    • Feathers
    • Musical Notes
    • Brentilda
    • Cheato
    • Captain Blubber
    • Clanker
    • Boggy the Polar Bear
    • Gobi the Camel
    • Gruntilda the Witch
    • Humba Wumba
    • Jamjars the Mole
    • King Jingaling
    • Master Jiggywiggy
    • Blobbelda & Mingella
    • Mr. Patch
    • Mr. Fit
    • Piddles the Cat
    • Trophy Thomas
    • Pikelet
  • Event Matches/VS Matches:
    • The ULTIMATE Final Battle: Battle the biggest iconic names in video game history, Mario, Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife, Bayonetta, Simon Belmont, Joker, Rayman, & Banjo & Kazooie on Final Destination!
    • Red/Blue/Yellow: It's the video game battle for the ages as the colorful cartoony video gaming platforming mascot icons Mario (red), Sonic the Hedgehog (blue), Mega Man (blue), Pac-Man (yellow), and Banjo & Kazooie (red/blue/yellow) duke it out to prove who is the best on Battlefield, Princess Peach's Castle, Green Hill Zone, Dr. Wily's Castle, Pac-Land, Spiral Mountain, or Final Destination!
    • All-Star Ultimate Newcomers: Choose your character as you battle the Ultimate newcomers, the Inklings, Daisy, Ridley, Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Issac, Dixie Kong, Isabelle, Shadow, Ken, Skull Kid, Geno, Paper Mario, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Rayman, & Banjo & Kazooie on Battlefield!
    • Beautiful Witch Battle: Battle Bayonetta atop Gruntilda's Tower and summon the Mighty Jinjonator to take her out on the Spiral Mountain stage (a reference to Gruntilda stealing Tooty's beauty, with Bayonetta being a 'beautiful' witch)!
    • Double Trouble Duos: With a co-op partner and choosing the characters of your choice, battle the double-teaming duos of the Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt, & Banjo & Kazooie on either the Summit, Mario Galaxy, Duck Hunt, or Spiral Mountain!
    • The Bear & Bird Battle Brawl: As Banjo & Kazooie, defeat all the Duck Hunt Duos running wild on Spiral Mountain before reaching the top of Gruntilda's Lair!
    • Sting & Swarm!: As Banjo & Kazooie, defend yourself against a hive of bees after you tried to steal their honey, fighting the likes of Pikachu, Ness, & Villager who wear their yellow and black alternate costumes/skins and throw beehives at you!
  • Victory Poses:
    • Banjo-Kazooie do their dance from collecting all the Jiggies in a world or opening a note door before bowing and striking a pose from Banjo-Kazooie.
    • Banjo-Kazooie perform their main theme tune on their banjo and kazoo, striking a pose at the end like they do at the end of the intro to Banjo & Kazooie.
    • Banjo performs his collect Jiggy dance with a shiny Jiggy before Kazooie swallows it.
Let me know what you guys think of this moveset and their characteristics! It was super fun and quite easy trying to incorporate as much of their movesets from their games into Smash and I feel they would be most unique for Smash's roster.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
It seems like many are pessimistic about this. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we still ended up getting 8 more unique newcomers and 4 echo newcomers, but we don't know what a lot of the dev time's been devoted to other than characters and stages, so it's hard to guess a maximum that's realistic until we see modes shown off.

In a game of fan-favorites, ballot ranking should put newcomers on a higher priority pedestal than relevance, especially for 3rd parties who have a "legacy" and/or "nostalgia" status like B&K do. If they're anywhere close to what online polls suggest, they have a good shot of being picked even if they never get a game again. Remember that the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter was active and reminding people of the origin at the same time as the ballot and Phil Spencer at the very least is open to making it happen.

The resurgence of Crash and Spyro embraced the qualities of those franchises while Bubsy embraced the memes. I don't honestly know which one B&K would fall under until I saw who was developing it because Rare is not Rare anymore.

I'm noticing quite an overlap between the Isaac and B&K fans, even if they don't necessarily know the other's series, and it makes me really happy. They've both deserved better Smash luck than they've gotten and their franchises have too much potential to die off!
I'm trying to be hopeful but realistic about the newcomers coming to Smash, I feel like at least ten newcomers including Ridley and Inklings would be a pretty sizable final roster with maybe some DLC if they don't have enough time before release. But yeah, I'm really hoping the ballot results are being put to good use and they're seeing who really deserves to be in Smash. I would like to think if they did bring Banjo-Kazooie back, it would be to honor their platforming roots and legacy and not just continue what Nuts n' Bolts did and turn them into a meme. I don't think they're as memeworthy as Bubsy lol, and yeah I just feel for Golden Sun fans cuz I'm right there with them with a beloved franchise that fell into obscurity because of mismanagement. Here's hoping both get their redemption this game!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
After Simon Belmont, Banjo is the last acceptable 3rd-Party addition in my eyes. Should have been in since Melee

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
After Simon Belmont, Banjo is the last acceptable 3rd-Party addition in my eyes. Should have been in since Melee
Those are my top two most wanted third party newcomers along with Rayman! The only three third party characters I’d be truly excited for.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Those are my top two most wanted third party newcomers along with Rayman! The only three third party characters I’d be truly excited for.
B&K, Rayman, Crash, and Spyro all joining this game would be the dream for me. So many more platforming and gaming icons in one place. As accepting as I am for more characters from Konami/Namco/Capcom/Square and even some third party echo fighters, I feel like those four are the gold mine that would really blow people's minds to have.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
B&K, Rayman, Crash, and Spyro all joining this game would be the dream for me. So many more platforming and gaming icons in one place. As accepting as I am for more characters from Konami/Namco/Capcom/Square and even some third party echo fighters, I feel like those four are the gold mine that would really blow people's minds to have.
I'd be a bit sad if Crash and/or Spyro made it in before Banjo-Kazooie but I suppose if Banjo made it in regardless, I'd be up to see Crash, Spyro, and Rayman in with them! So then we'd have some of the biggest video game mascots of all time in one ultimate fighting game! Mario for Nintendo, Snake and Simon Belmont for Konami, Sonic and Bayonetta for Sega, Mega Man and Ryu for Capcom, Pac-Man for Namco, Cloud Strife & Geno for Square Enix, Banjo-Kazooie for Rare and Microsoft, Rayman for Ubisoft, and Crash and Spyro for Sony! How crazy would that be? Imagine having an 8 player match between Mario, Snake or Simon, Sonic or Bayonetta, Mega Man or Ryu, Pac-Man, Cloud Strife or Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, and Crash or Spyro!! Well at least a combination of those 8 since its nine companies represented, but still!

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'd be a bit sad if Crash and/or Spyro made it in before Banjo-Kazooie but I suppose if Banjo made it in regardless, I'd be up to see Crash, Spyro, and Rayman in with them! So then we'd have some of the biggest video game mascots of all time in one ultimate fighting game! Mario for Nintendo, Snake and Simon Belmont for Konami, Sonic and Bayonetta for Sega, Mega Man and Ryu for Capcom, Pac-Man for Namco, Cloud Strife for Square Enix, Banjo-Kazooie for Rare and Microsoft, Rayman for Ubisoft, and Crash and Spyro for Sony! How crazy would that be? Imagine having an 8 player match between Mario, Snake or Simon, Sonic or Bayonetta, Mega Man or Ryu, Pac-Man, Cloud Strife, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, and Crash or Spyro!! Well at least a combination of those 8 since its nine companies represented, but still!
Yeah, just that fact of having Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony be able to duke it out in one match is another reason why I want Crash and Spyro so much. We'd have just about every gaming icon in one place! I hope down the line in maybe Smash 6 or 7, we could really round out and "complete" the third parties with more of the represented companies' most successful franchises. SEGA could get an SMT character, Capcom could get Dante and/or Leon Kennedy, Konami could get Bomberman (and Simon if he's not in this one), Square could get Sora and/or Slime, Namco could get Lloyd and/or Heihachi, and who knows? Maybe we can get an Indie in there and maybe Steve but I know not many others are open to that idea

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Yeah, just that fact of having Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony be able to duke it out in one match is another reason why I want Crash and Spyro so much. We'd have just about every gaming icon in one place! I hope down the line in maybe Smash 6 or 7, we could really round out and "complete" the third parties with more of the represented companies' most successful franchises. SEGA could get an SMT character, Capcom could get Dante and/or Leon Kennedy, Konami could get Bomberman (and Simon if he's not in this one), Square could get Sora and/or Slime, Namco could get Lloyd and/or Heihachi, and who knows? Maybe we can get an Indie in there and maybe Steve but I know not many others are open to that idea
My buddy would be super happy if a Resident Evil character made it in like Leon or Claire. From Namco, I wouldn't mind seeing Klonoa make an appearance, I thought he was super cute. Also bringing in a Mortal Kombat character would be super cool (which my aforementioned buddy would also love)! If Square got another character, it'd be nice if it was Geno since a lot of people really want him in. I would not want Steve in over Banjo though obviously. But if they announced a Minecraft stage and Banjo made it in, I'd be super happy.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
My buddy would be super happy if a Resident Evil character made it in like Leon or Claire. From Namco, I wouldn't mind seeing Klonoa make an appearance, I thought he was super cute. Also bringing in a Mortal Kombat character would be super cool (which my aforementioned buddy would also love)! If Square got another character, it'd be nice if it was Geno since a lot of people really want him in. I would not want Steve in over Banjo though obviously. But if they announced a Minecraft stage and Banjo made it in, I'd be super happy.
I keep forgetting about Geno and yet I think he probably has his best chance this game. Yeah, I think he comes before Sora and Slime even if he's not quite as notable as them. MK is super interesting though. It's a famous enough franchise and with a moveset obviously already made. Could Sakurai get the rights is what I'm wondering. If so, sign me up for Sub-Zero, please!

Maybe a Minecraft stage comes with B&K + Spiral Mountain to sweeten the deal like how Bomberman is an AT. I could see Steve digging and crafting with his tools and altering the stage layout. It would be fun and probably much less offensive to many people lol.

Though it makes me wonder why MS never decided to add a themed Banjo-Kazooie pack to Minecraft since they own both IPs now. It could be just like the Mario pack for the Nintendo consoles and it wouldn't even be that much effort.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I keep forgetting about Geno and yet I think he probably has his best chance this game. Yeah, I think he comes before Sora and Slime even if he's not quite as notable as them. MK is super interesting though. It's a famous enough franchise and with a moveset obviously already made. Could Sakurai get the rights is what I'm wondering. If so, sign me up for Sub-Zero, please!

Maybe a Minecraft stage comes with B&K + Spiral Mountain to sweeten the deal like how Bomberman is an AT. I could see Steve digging and crafting with his tools and altering the stage layout. It would be fun and probably much less offensive to many people lol.

Though it makes me wonder why MS never decided to add a themed Banjo-Kazooie pack to Minecraft since they own both IPs now. It could be just like the Mario pack for the Nintendo consoles and it wouldn't even be that much effort.
Because Microsoft is sitting on a gold mine and they refuse to tap into it. I'll change my mind about them if Banjo-Kazooie make it into Smash or get a new platforming game from them, but as of right now I highly doubt it.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Because Microsoft is sitting on a gold mine and they refuse to tap into it. I'll change my mind about them if Banjo-Kazooie make it into Smash or get a new platforming game from them, but as of right now I highly doubt it.
I'm confident that the reaction from fans towards B&K in Smash would have them thinking about a new game. Only question is, who develops it and is it Banjo-Threeie?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Well they had that thing recently talking about letting other studios work with their IPs or something.

Like, if the leak's true I can certainly imagine people getting angry if Minecraft was chosen as a Microsoft-owned rep and not Banjo and Kazooie, maybe even if it was just something like a stage or assist of Steve. Like getting Ubisoft to have Rayman trophies in Smash 4 is one thing (assuming that was totally what happened and Rayman wasn't suggested to be a character or something...), but maybe just maybe Nintendo would negotiate with one of their CONSOLE COMPETITORS for more than just assist trophy or stage representation. Maybe Banjo scored well enough in the ballot for consideration to be a character, and Nintendo were certainly doing enough legal paperwork with other companies for this game so Microsoft expressing OPENNESS to work with them wouldn't make it out of the question?

Granted, said Tweet might bring up the argument that if it was happening at least pre-DLC, they wouldn't discuss it so casually because NDAs.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...njo_and_kazooie_appearing_in_super_smash_bros

Do you think Duck Hunt Duo was originally considered to be Banjo Kazooie with the animal bird duo thing? With the bird character helping the two fly?

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Well they had that thing recently talking about letting other studios work with their IPs or something.

Like, if the leak's true I can certainly imagine people getting angry if Minecraft was chosen as a Microsoft-owned rep and not Banjo and Kazooie, maybe even if it was just something like a stage or assist of Steve. Like getting Ubisoft to have Rayman trophies in Smash 4 is one thing (assuming that was totally what happened and Rayman wasn't suggested to be a character or something...), but maybe just maybe Nintendo would negotiate with one of their CONSOLE COMPETITORS for more than just assist trophy or stage representation. Maybe Banjo scored well enough in the ballot for consideration to be a character, and Nintendo were certainly doing enough legal paperwork with other companies for this game so Microsoft expressing OPENNESS to work with them wouldn't make it out of the question?

Granted, said Tweet might bring up the argument that if it was happening at least pre-DLC, they wouldn't discuss it so casually because NDAs.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...njo_and_kazooie_appearing_in_super_smash_bros

Do you think Duck Hunt Duo was originally considered to be Banjo Kazooie with the animal bird duo thing? With the bird character helping the two fly?
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the idea behind Duck Hunt, but at the same time, they definitely filled a new NES rep roster choice representing not only Duck Hunt but the NES Zapper, Hogan's Alley, and Wild Gunman! With that said, if Banjo-Kazooie made it in, that would be a fun battle or even team of the two mammal-bird partners!

And getting to Microsoft working with Nintendo, I think that's made for the most hopeful time we've had with Banjo-Kazooie in a long time, having Minecraft be on the Switch and Nintendo in general working with a lot of different companies has definitely opened up the possibilities of using IPs like Crash and Spyro and Banjo for Smash. It's all up to what Sakurai and Nintendo have in mind and what they're open to. I'm hopeful that we'll see the bear and bird in Smash sooner rather than later or not at all.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I can only hope that getting minecraft on the switch (with banjo kaozoie skins) is just the start of beautiful relationship between microsoft and nintendo and of wonderful things to come that culminates in Banjo and Kazooie in Smash (or if we're going wildest dreams Banjo and Kazooie in Smash, both original Banjo titles on the N64 mini AND Banjo-Threeie for Switch)

I'm not really the biggest fan of Minecraft, but it's given me Banjo on a Nintendo console for the first time in years. so I am thankful for that.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I can only hope that getting minecraft on the switch (with banjo kaozoie skins) is just the start of beautiful relationship between microsoft and nintendo and of wonderful things to come that culminates in Banjo and Kazooie in Smash (or if we're going wildest dreams Banjo and Kazooie in Smash, both original Banjo titles on the N64 mini AND Banjo-Threeie for Switch)

I'm not really the biggest fan of Minecraft, but it's given me Banjo on a Nintendo console for the first time in years. so I am thankful for that.
That is indeed a beautiful sight!!! Look at Bottles and Mumbo in the background! Oh please let this be the start of something magic.

Eagle

Smash Lord
What representation for Banjo Kazooie would you guys want for items/stages/assist trophies? I think the perfect assist trophy is Mumbo turning someone into a washing machine for a few moments. I'm really not sure what the best stage would be though.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm a big Banjo and Kazooie fan and having him included in Smash will fill in a gap in the roster so please include me in the support list

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'm a big Banjo and Kazooie fan and having him included in Smash will fill in a gap in the roster so please include me in the support list

Whipped this up quickly for you guys as well
Welcome to the group! We're happy to have you!!! Hope Issac gets a fresh chance as a newcomer as well! And great job on the icons and splash pages and everything everybody! I have such high hopes for this game and hopefully to see these two make it in as a big shocking surprise for Smash! Hear our pleas, Sakurai! This would make Super Smash Bros. Ultimate the greatest video game of all time!!!!!

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
What representation for Banjo Kazooie would you guys want for items/stages/assist trophies? I think the perfect assist trophy is Mumbo turning someone into a washing machine for a few moments. I'm really not sure what the best stage would be though.
A good question! I actually never really put much thought into items for any third party characters let alone Banjo-Kazooie since it never seemed to be a priority in Smash. I had suggested maybe the Turbo Trainers or Springy Step Shoes as a speed/jump enhancer for characters but that's a stretch for items I think. I think Mumbo Jumbo would be the most appropriate choice for an Assist Trophy, I like the idea of him being like Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles where he stays on the field for a bit of time and does some random effects, preferably while chanting EEKUM BOKUM EEKUM BOKUM, the washing machine transformation could be one effect that renders opponents immobile or even the pumpkin transformation would be funny! Maybe he can enlarge the person who summons him like he does in Terrydactyland, heal health like on the Isle of Hags, levitate opponents into helplessness temporarily like in Glitter Gulch Mine, and zap nearby opponents with magic like he does for his standard attack in Banjo-Tooie as well as with the Power and EMP spells from Witchyworld and Grunty Industries! Stages are numerous in choice, practically any one of them would do well for Banjo-Kazooie. Freezeezy Peak, Mad Monster Mansion, Click Clock Wood, Mayahem Temple, Hailfire Peaks, the possibilities are endless! As I've said before though, I think a traveling stage would be best that showcases all of the worlds instead of just one location, Spiral Mountain is my go-to choice just because its where you start off, it has lots of unique fighting locations to fight on, and it would just be iconic and fitting to return where it all began.I've detailed that in an earlier post on here for more specifics lol. Another choice is Gruntilda's Lair where you start off inside at the entrance in front of Gruntilda's portrait, then the background changes with jigsaw pieces and you end up cycling through Mumbo's Mountain, Treasure Trove Cove, Clanker's Cavern, Bubblegloop Swamp, Freezeezy Peak, Gobi's Valley, Mad Monster Mansion, Rusty Bucket Bay, Click Clock Wood, Grunty's Furnace Fun, and finally the top of Gruntilda's Lair where Gruntilda awaits. And finally Isle of Hags would be a more traditional traveling stage where the stage physically moves to different parts of the island including Jinjo Village, Mayahem Temple, Glitter Gulch Mine, Witchyworld, Jolly Roger's Lagoon, Terrydactyland, Grunty Industries, Hailfire Peaks, Cloud Cuckooland, and Cauldron Keep! Those are my top three choices for Banjo-Kazooie stages that I think would be ideal for Smash ^^

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I support Banjo too! I didn't really grew up with him like others, but I think think he has a lot of potential for a moveset.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
The bear and bird have my support. They were my childhood, dangit.

Plus the growing relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft might make this a possibility- whether in the base roster or as DLC down the road.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Some more evidence of Nintendo's and Microsoft's willingness to cooperate
I hope they are building Spiral Mountain in Smash Ultimate.

If Banjo-Kazooie gets in, I hope they use the original N64 design and not that ugly Xbox design. That new design doesn't have a history with Nintendo like the original design does.

If Simon Belmont and/or Banjo-Kazooie get in Smash Ultimate, I would be satisfied even if I still don't have Meowth or Toad. They are my number one and number two most-wanted third-party characters for Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
With this new era of cooperation between the 2 companies, this Smash being more focused on popularity, and the fact that the project plan was done at the end of 2015 crippling some other likely looking newcomers' chances Banjo's shots are looking better than ever. They may still be DLC but good lord I never would have imagined their chances to be this good just a few years ago. Come on Sakurai you seized the opportunity to get every Smash vet back now seize this opportunity to get a Nintendo icon back in Nintendo games.

Last edited:

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
I want Banjo in Smash! Smash needs a bear and I previously wanted Pancham for Smash 4 and Bewear for Ultimate, but now Banjo is my last hope. I feel optimistic for Banjo because I remember seeing him on the Internet polls during the Smash ballot and he always in the top 5 and 10. I do have to say there was a lot more hype on Banjo during the ballot than there is now. And this Smash seems to cater to the Smash ballot with the AT confirmed so far:

Bomberman
Knuckles
Krystal
Takamaru
Waluigi(This guy had a lot competition between Capt Toad, Geno, Daisy, and himself plus he was AT so that discouraged a lot of voting for him)

Popular picks Yet to see:
King k rool
Isaac
Shovel knight
Banjo and Kazooie
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Capt Toad
Geno

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
OH MY GODDDDD WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!
Kicking Sony in the face for being standoffish and opposed to Cross-Platform support more than anything else. Bad PR for Sony, and great for both companies.

That said, with all of the comments Phil Spencer has made of willing to play ball with Banjo in Smash, I feel their chances are more relegated to DLC than on a base roster. I love them and would love to see them included at some point (though I also don't want to hear how goddamn much people won't shut up about Master Chief at that point...), and I'm glad Microsoft is open to the idea.

That said, they've done nothing with the brand. And I don't see Nintendo terribly open to the idea of helping revive them as characters when they no longer own them (To this day, I've never understood why Nintendo didn't at least retain them of all characters as part of letting Rare go...). So I'm not sold on their inclusion, but they would be interesting to see.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That said, they've done nothing with the brand. And I don't see Nintendo terribly open to the idea of helping revive them as characters when they no longer own them (To this day, I've never understood why Nintendo didn't at least retain them of all characters as part of letting Rare go...). So I'm not sold on their inclusion, but they would be interesting to see.
I don't agree with your point that them being in Smash would revive them, Rare doesn't seem interested in making more Banjo games or else they would have capitalized on the hype of Yooka Laylee and announced a new game which would have been genius. Also, they actually did get the rights to Banjo when Rare was bought out but Rare retained some rights to some tertiary Kongs so Nintendo traded the rights for Banjo for the Kongs.

Top Bottom