Gettin' Jiggy Wit It: Banjo-Kazooie for SSBU!

NNID
JamesDNaux
Switch FC
SW-1407-6089-3701

Welcome to the Banjo-Kazooie for Smash support thread!

Credit to Smashified and Sean Hicks for the original renders.

20 Years of Collecting!

N64 - 1998

N64 - 2000

GBA - 2003

Statistics
Size: Around Mario's height.
Weight: Around R.O.B.
Gravity: Around Ness.
Jump Height: Around Mario.
Jump Speed: Around Pikachu.
Air Speed: Around DK.
Walk Speed: Around Olimar.
Dash Speed: Around Shulk.
Traction: Around G&W.
Mirrored

Gimmicks
Feathery Flap
Kazooie assists with the double jump for added height and distance, holding jump will slow your decent for a short time.
Eggs
Eggs play a vital role in Kazooie's arsenal, you can cycle through various egg types by holding shield and pressing special.

Standard Attacks
Standard Combo - Claw Swipe
Banjo swipes up to three times with his claws and finishes with a strong blow.
Forward Tilt - Thrust Peck
Banjo leans forward and Kazooie thrusts out to attack with her beak.
Up Tilt - Wing Whack
Kazooie swipes her wings upward twice, slicing through the air.
Down Tilt - Beak Barge
Banjo crouches and slides forward as Kazooie thrusts her beak along the ground.
Dash Attack - Forward Roll
Banjo curls up and rolls across the ground as Kazooie wraps her wings around him.

Smash Attacks
Forward Smash - Breegull Bash
Banjo pulls Kazooie out of the backpack completely and slams her down on the ground.
Up Smash - Beak Bayonet
Banjo pulls Kazooie out and thrusts her upwards, attacking with her beak.
Down Smash - Bear Spin
Banjo does a quick spin kick, similar to Mario's down smash.

Misc Attacks
Ledge Attack
Hops up from the ledge as Kazooie swipes her wings.
'Get Up' Attack
Spins around and kicks as Banjo jumps to his feet.

Aerial Attacks
Neutral Aerial - Pack Wack
Banjo swings his backpack in a circle around himself.
Forward Aerial - Rat-a-tat Rap
Banjo lowers his head and Kazooie pecks forward three times, slows descent.
Up Aerial - Bear Flip
Banjo does a flip kick in the air with a wide upward range.
Down Aerial - Beak Buster
Banjo curls up and plummets downward to slam with Kazooie's beak.
Back Arial - Back Kick

A very descriptive title, Banjo flattens himself out and kicks backwards.

Grab 'N' Throws
Grab
A simple grab by Banjo with average range.
Pummel - Peck
Kazooie pecks at the opponent as Banjo holds onto them.
Forward Throw - Wonder Wing
Kazooie wraps her wings around the opponent and uses gold feathers to send them flying.
Up Throw - Flap Flip
Banjo throws the opponent into the air then backflips with help from Kazooie, kicking them away.
Down Throw - Drill Bill
Banjo slams the opponent on the ground then Kazooie drills into them with her beak.
Back Throw - Egg Lay
Banjo tosses the opponent backwards and Kazooie quickly lays an egg into them.

Special Moves
Neutral Special - Egg Fire
Banjo crouches down and Kazooie fires an egg, you can cycle through various ammunition types by holding shield and pressing special.
(Blue)
Quick rate of fire, far range, low damage, three projectile count.
(Fire)
Moderate rate of fire, moderate range, moderate damage, two projectile count. Causes fire effects.
(Ice)
Slow rate of fire, medium range, medium damage, two projectile count. Freezes at high damage.
(Grenade)
Pitiful rate of fire, low range, high damage, single projectile count. Splash damage can harm Banjo.

(Clockwork Kazooie)
Single shot, no range. Hatches a mini Clockwork Kazooie that wanders around the stage before exploding.

Side Special - Talon Trot
Kazooie will spring out onto her feet to give Banjo a rest, this move has no hitbox but allows the duo to quickly run around.

Up Special - Flight Pad
Kazooie spreads her wings and takes to the sky, functions like Pit's Brawl recovery.
Pressing special again will fire eggs as long as you're flying, pressing attack initiates a Beak Bomb that sends the duo flying forward.

Down Special - Egg Lay
Kazooie lays an egg that bounces backwards along the ground, eggs have the same properties as neutral special.

Final Smash - Mighty Jinjonator
Catching someone with your final smash triggers a cutscene where The Mighty Jinjonator rises from Grunty's Tower and attacks.

Misc Aspects
Entrance
Appears on the entrance pad from Banjo-Kazooie.
Taunt 1
Banjo gives a thumbs up and makes his iconic "Guh-huh!"
Taunt 2
Kazooie makes her iconic "Breegul!" noise and flaps her wings lightly.
Taunt 3
Banjo waves a Jiggy around before Kazooie grabs it.
Victory 1
Banjo does the Jiggy dance from Banjo-Kazooie.
Victory 2
Banjo plays his namesake instrument as Kazooie plays a kazoo.
Victory 3
Banjo and Kazooie bow multiple times.
Victory Jingle
Jiggy Fanfare.

Last edited:

Aussie the Naturist

Now with more Monster Chest
Premium
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Despite the odds, I still would like to see these two in Smash.

Even if things are looking a lot less likely thanks to Microsoft. Sure Spencer is fine with it, but I bout the rest of the company would agree with this.

Planet Zeb(es)~

Finale
Premium
3DS FC
3437-4069-5736
NNID
H-is-forHamazing
Switch FC
SW-7226-9732-8505
Banjo Kazooie is an amazing game

Nuts and Bolts is a great spinoff no matter what people tell me
Supporting, if just for the music.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Banjo-Kazooie would be amazing in Smash!

I just wish that Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie would be available on Switch Virtual Console. That alone would really boost Banjo-Kazooie's chances. But I just want those N64 games back. I miss those games.

nirvanafan

Smash Journeyman
I will never give up hope for this dream no matter what anyone says especially after Phil Spencer's tweet during the ballad, this just needs to happen to the perfect roster. Somehow also getting other rare ip like conker, ki, battletoads, etc in the game somewhere would be icing on the cake although less likely and not a necessity.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

A Terrible Night to Have a Curse
Premium
Rankings Team
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
NNID
Goldeneye2674
Literally my childhood. Full disclosure I ****ing love Grunty's Revenge. One of my favorite GBA games, Banjo-Tooie is also one of my favorite games of all time with Banjo-Kazooie coming close and, well, Nuts & Bolts and Banjo-Pilot are at least playable. I was more of a closet supporter during the Wii U days but now, to hell with it, I fully support Banjo-Kazooie 100% in Smash. Let's get it done Phil Spencer.

NonSpecificGuy

Premium
Rankings Team
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
NNID
Goldeneye2674
I wouldn't be surprised if Banjo had been one of those very high placing characters on the poll that wasn't "realizable".
Phil Spencer responding to that one tweet probably did some favors for the old Bear and Bird as well. I wonder if he actually ment that. Like if there ever came a point where Nintendo was like 'Look we want to use Banjo' would Micro$oft actually let them do that? Would there be certain stipulations? We'll probably never know.

N3ON

Pink Sparks
Phil Spencer responding to that one tweet probably did some favors for the old Bear and Bird as well. I wonder if he actually ment that. Like if there ever came a point where Nintendo was like 'Look we want to use Banjo' would Micro$oft actually let them do that? Would there be certain stipulations? We'll probably never know.
Well that tweet was the entire impetus to the duo getting as popular as the did around the time of the ballot. I'd imagine otherwise they would've been seen at that "impossible tier" they had been prior.

And I imagine Microsoft would let them. It's good advertising. Especially if they were planning to actually make use of the IP. And they'd be compensated well for it. Plus Nintendo and Microsoft seem to have a pretty amicable relationship atm, at least as far as competitors go. They brought Minecraft to Nintendo platforms and allowed for DK64 on the VC unaltered, even though it has a Rare game within. It's just that Nintendo probably would never do that. Between them, Microsoft, and gamers, they have the least to gain from such a move, lol. Unless they also negotiated to release the old Banjo games on the VC, but now we're really getting into the weeds of the unlikely scenarios, haha.

fogbadge

Smash Master
I wouldn't be surprised if Banjo had been one of those very high placing characters on the poll that wasn't "realizable".
yes i imagine they'd have quite a few votes, mind you considering the way the ballot was run a lot of troll choices were probably at the top

PsychoJosh

Smash Lord
I would find it very exciting if it did happen, but Banjo's not exactly my first pick from Microsoft.

If Microsoft got a rep I'd just have to go with Master Chief over Banjo. But then again Banjo is more of a Rareware rep.

PsychoJosh

Smash Lord
I would not have been surprised if Bayonetta had been. Her creator was vehemently against Smash Bros as a whole, let alone her inclusion.
She was still the most popular choice, and Sakurai probably liked her as well. Also Hideki Kamiya was very happy to see her in and thanked the Smash fans on twitter for voting her in, even if he expressed distaste for the game before.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Premium
Rankings Team
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
NNID
Goldeneye2674
I'm willing to bet the top 5 in North America looked something like this:

1. Goku
2. Shrek
3. Bayonetta
4. Freddy Fazbear
5. Darude - Sandstorm
Sakurai stated that all characters that 'weren't realizable' were not included in the results. So Goku, Shrek, Freddy, and Darude were not accounted for when giving her her third place spot. The most likely candidates were either veterans or NA beloved characters like Rids and K. Rool whom aren't as popular overseas.

Do try and keep the discussions centered around Banjo and his series if you will. You can always discuss the Ballot and more in the general speculation thread.

FunAtParties

Smash Master
Premium
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I support, BK will always be a Nintendo character in my heart. Even if they're not, they just belong in Smash.

About those stats on the OP, does everyone really think he's Mario height? I guess it makes sense, but I always saw Banjo as a larger character.

PsychoJosh

Smash Lord
Sakurai stated that all characters that 'weren't realizable' were not included in the results. So Goku, Shrek, Freddy, and Darude were not accounted for when giving her her third place spot. The most likely candidates were either veterans or NA beloved characters like Rids and K. Rool whom aren't as popular overseas.

Do try and keep the discussions centered around Banjo and his series if you will. You can always discuss the Ballot and more in the general speculation thread.
I was making a joke.

I support, BK will always be a Nintendo character in my heart. Even if they're not, they just belong in Smash.

About those stats on the OP, does everyone really think he's Mario height? I guess it makes sense, but I always saw Banjo as a larger character.
Luigi's height sounds about right to me.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
Premium
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
NNID
Swampasaur
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Where is "third place spot" even coming from?

I only remember #1 in europe and top 5 NA
Number 1 is Europe.
Top five in NA.
Number 1 overall.

This 3rd number is a load of bull and was never mentioned.

Don't even give that stuff the time of day folks.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The "Third Place" thing comes purely from my memory, I'm sorry if it's not accurate but I could have sworn that it was what was said during her announcement.

I'm still a little mad about that because the whole thing came across as "So, there were some very popular characters in this ballot but we're not even going to tell you who they were. Instead, here's a second party character you were explicitly told wouldn't get in."

I wanted Banjo, god damn it, and I would have at least liked to have known his fate in the end.

PsychoJosh

Smash Lord
I think it's better that they didn't show it. Displaying the results had the potential of kicking the hornet's nest, so to speak, and it probably would've made a lot of people even angrier if they found out that their favorites didn't even make the top 5. You don't know that Banjo made the top 5, it could've been a surprise pick, like Sora or Simon Belmont.

Also it's possible that Nintendo didn't have the legal freedom to display the names of other companies' copyrighted characters in a promo video for their game.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Personally, I'd be less worried about the reaction to characters not making the list and more worried about the reaction to characters who did not getting in. It does make sense to omit them but it still felt like a cop out when they said that Bayonetta wasn't the most popular character and then told us nothing about why she was the one that got in.

FunAtParties

Smash Master
Premium
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think it's better that they didn't show it. Displaying the results had the potential of kicking the hornet's nest, so to speak, and it probably would've made a lot of people even angrier if they found out that their favorites didn't even make the top 5. You don't know that Banjo made the top 5, it could've been a surprise pick, like Sora or Simon Belmont.

Also it's possible that Nintendo didn't have the legal freedom to display the names of other companies' copyrighted characters in a promo video for their game.
There's no way there were legal ramifications to displaying names on a poll. As long as they aren't using the characters likeness without permission they're safe.

I think they should've showed the results. Maybe they didn't expect people to care that much, but lots of people were strung along for months, and they got no idea how it turned out. Many still believe they were ripped off, myself included. People were going to be upset either way, but saying nothing but 'this character won, trust me' is bound to get on more people's nerves then actually showing the results.

Last edited: