• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I'm hope that is the scenario.

Because I want GS to grow, and Nintendo isn't gonna make it grow if it's thrown at the 3DS at its last dying breath.

And to those that said that the 3DS has a larger install base than the switch.

The DS had an install base of over 100 million. And even it didn't be save DD.
To be fair, Nintendo marketed the game poorly. It happens too often with other franchises.

And I would chin up! We aren't done yet. Golden Sun is still alive and will be for four years. Yesterday I posted which franchises have no future and they were F-Zero, (Advance) Wars and Wario (Land). And the difference between them and Golden Sun is 4+ years.

We still have hope!

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I'm hope that is the scenario.

Because I want GS to grow, and Nintendo isn't gonna make it grow if it's thrown at the 3DS at its last dying breath.

And to those that said that the 3DS has a larger install base than the switch.

The DS had an install base of over 100 million. And even it didn't be save DD.
Again I agree with you but Dark Dawn didn’t have the possible hype machine of Smash behind it! Right now our focus should be on Isaac getting in Smash because Golden Sun will be cemented into the minds of every Nintendo fan! There is still hope my friend! Smash is the key to Golden Sun success right now!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
To be fair, Nintendo marketed the game poorly. It happens too often with other franchises.

And I would chin up! We aren't done yet. Golden Sun is still alive and will be for four years. Yesterday I posted which franchises have no future and they were F-Zero, (Advance) Wars and Wario (Land). And the difference between them and Golden Sun is 4+ years.

We still have hope!
GS has less of a future if they continue the way they do.

And F-Zero having no future sounds accurate...

Edit: yeah, might sleep with a burdened conscience, lmao. I hate this timeline.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pessimism is fine. But tonight I am incredibly disappointed in this thread. I thought it would be something fun to discuss but apparently all it was worth was to have MORE salt thrown around. Peace out. I'm gonna go support Isaac elsewhere. Hopefully, then, the toxicity from this discussion is better in the morning.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Toxicity is a pretty strong term to use. Sure people haven't been overly positive but I don't see anyone being hostile or acting out.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
It would definitely be a tactical mistake at this point to have the possible final game in the golden sun saga be on the 3ds.
However if they remastered the first three on 3ds, and had the fourth on switch, that could be acceptable.
Going further beyond, having all four be on the switch combined into one large story would be best.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Please guys, calm down. You're talking as if a GS remaster on 3DS was already announced, the truth is we don't know so don't start shouting at nintendo for something that has not happened yet.
Like a lot of you I was kinda disappointed we didn't see Isaac last night, *BUT* it is true that he would fit much better in a Smash Direct than a general Nintendo one. Golden Sun is a niche franchise currently, like Fire Emblem was before awakening.
It just mean that, if he gets revealed in a smash direct, we'll have a longer video talking about Golden Sun in general so relax, and just wait. What's a few months, or less, to wait ? We're used to it. ^^

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Pessimism is fine. But tonight I am incredibly disappointed in this thread. I thought it would be something fun to discuss but apparently all it was worth was to have MORE salt thrown around. Peace out. I'm gonna go support Isaac elsewhere. Hopefully, then, the toxicity from this discussion is better in the morning.
Hey if it helps there are some like me who still have hope :)

Hope you aren't gone too long. We need more positive thinking right now :)

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I definitely wouldn’t call it toxicity. Everyone handles being disappointed differently and sometimes people just need to vent. It’s not like anyone was attacking others.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Since I asked but never got an answer....

Isn't it strange that the Smash blog hasn't been updated today? Shouldn't Isabelle character trailer (not her intro trailer) have been posted by now?

Kalaam

Smash Ace

Isn't it strange that the Smash blog hasn't been updated today? Shouldn't Isabelle character trailer (not her intro trailer) have been posted by now?
Well she is on the fighter list with her trailer and all. So I don't know, weird.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I feel the need to point out that while Jon obviously has info what he is and isn't speculating on is anyone's guess. He could be saying Golden Sun is getting remade and that just be a guess but the rest of it be legit.

Or maybe Golden Sun will be released on Switch and he's trying to throw people off the scent. This is all just fun speculation and you guys are taking it way, way, WAY too seriously. It was a good way to get discussion going but it has quickly diverged into pure unadulterated salt. And you know what I'm about to let off some steam on y'all real quick.

For the record if Golden Sun did get a 3DS remake I wouldn't just give up on the series right then and there and no I don't think the 3DS would "kill" the series. The 3DS has a FAR larger install base than the Switch whether you give a **** about the console or not. As a matter of fact it's probably more likely to sell on 3DS because of that. Just because we don't want it on 3DS doesn't mean it can't be successful. Of course if it gets announced and we sit around bad mouthing and shaming it and saying how "stupid" and "brain dead" Nintendo is for doing it it'll give the game a bad energy and then it'll bomb and it'll be our fault. I'll buy the ****ing game and I'll stress to other people to buy the game just like I did when Samus Returns came out, and that game did as well as a Metroid game usually does, and I'll do my damndest to make sure that other people can experience the awesome game that is Golden Sun no matter what console it's on because whether it's on 3DS or on Switch it's still a ****ing spectacular game. Because that's all I really want. Is for Golden Sun to be relevant so that more people can enjoy it. If you're just going to roll over and say that Nintendo killed the franchise by giving it new life on a console that wasn't your specific choice then why the hell are you wanting the franchise to be revived in the first place?

I got a little heated there but damn guys. Does the game really deserve to be revived if we're going to be so ****ing entitled to kill the game on arrival just because it wasn't on our system of choice? What's the point in even caring if we don't even try?
While I agree with most of your points....

Do you know what you're even saying, in all honesty?

Literally every 3DS game that's been coming out recently has been failing MISERABLY. Not a single one is selling any massive numbers. The install base is irrelevant; nobody gives a **** about 3DS anymore. Nobody who cares, that is. That's why people are annoyed by this.

Now, I would still do everything to support it to the best of my ability. But tbh, I really think they would be smart and release it on Switch now as well.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/22/nintendo-3ds-owners-have-switched-leaving-warioware-behind/

Basically once Switch released, people stopped caring about 3DS anymore.

I almost don't want to make posts here now because I don't want to bring people down.

At this point I'm expecting 3-4 more unique newcomers and on top of that I think Dixie Kong is more likely to be unique than a clone now. So that's one extra competitor we didn't have yesterday. Since I believe Vergeben that also means two of those 3-4 unique fighters are likely Incineroar and the Square Enix character. Not to mention if Minecraft content is in the game we're probably getting a unique fighter from Microsoft as well.

I still intend to support Isaac but I also feel like I haven't much positive to say. :p
Yeah I still disagree on this. IMO, I think characters like Isabelle and Dixie Kong draw more from the Echo side than anything. They were going to be Echoes at one point, but were upgraded when they changed them up too much. Isabelle tells me we'll get a few more semiclones and a few less Echoes, otherwise my predictions haven't really changed.

Yeah it is weird. I'm wondering if maybe they became aware that we figured out the whole blog post ID thing, and are trying to avoid people speculating anything. But its really hard to say if it does mean anything.

Something I did notice is that all those console and joycon posts? None of them have identifiers. They just have typical titles, but no "135" or whatever at the start.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Please guys, calm down. You're talking as if a GS remaster on 3DS was already announced, the truth is we don't know so don't start shouting at nintendo for something that has not happened yet.
Like a lot of you I was kinda disappointed we didn't see Isaac last night, *BUT* it is true that he would fit much better in a Smash Direct than a general Nintendo one. Golden Sun is a niche franchise currently, like Fire Emblem was before awakening.
It just mean that, if he gets revealed in a smash direct, we'll have a longer video talking about Golden Sun in general so relax, and just wait. What's a few months, or less, to wait ? We're used to it. ^^
Thank you.
I definitely wouldn’t call it toxicity. Everyone handles being disappointed differently and sometimes people just need to vent. It’s not like anyone was attacking others.
That would be flaming. Toxicity is when an atmosphere is so inherently negative that it makes it unpleasant.

I thought this would be a fun conversation to have. Speculating on how the game would look, how it would play, but instead I got "Way to go Nintendo you killed Golden Sun." Not really much to talk about when you put something that way. I know it's not everyone but I was having some fun with the Jon talk, hoping it would bring up spirits in the thread and it did with some. There could be a discussion to be had there. For most though, it was more about saying RIP Golden Sun before it even is really a thing.

I dunno. I saw some fun discussion and it's kinda just shut out by negativity. I find that kind of toxic so forgive me for that.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
The dream is dead. I guess.

Our votes meant nothing.
Well, get ready for this GS to flop again like DD.
Yeah, no golden sun is better than anything.

But sending it to die isn't much better either.
Xeno, I think you need to get your mind off of Smash for a little bit. Come back when you have cooled down and find something to cheer you up. I get why you are pessimistic and a bit salty right now, but you are better than this man. So cheer up fam! Have a little more faith in developers and the people around you. Trust me, we all feel the same in some regard, but we still have a chance and we can still show Nintendo off by supporting the series and spreading the love for it.

I know I am too hopeful and optimistic for my own good, but I truly believe that we will get a better GS game and that our boi will make it into Smash. Rather he is in base roster or DLC. It will be a tasteful victory either way. Let's support the series and help one another over these rough and rocky mountians we are still climbing. We can beat the odds if we support one another and band together. Let's not give up hope just yet!

We are getting more and more followers each day, we are spreading the love of Golden Sun and sharing our knowledge to others who don't know anything about it. We are getting new art, videos, memes and forums talking about it more and more. It is all going to all go up from here and the fan demand grows even stronger! Like look at how big this thread is!! 415 pages, almost 17,000 posts, 520 supports! This is freaking massive! It shows how much more popular Golden Sun is and how much bigger it is gonna get! Even when we have doubts, we still have faith and we still have evidence towards Isaac getting in. Even if it is vague or a bit of a stretch, with the Rathalos Twitter I want to believe that Sakurai would not bait and switch like this and I want to believe he is a better person to give hope and deliver it.

I'm it to win it and I am willing to follow this to the end. So let's see it till the end and if it doesn't happen than at least we still have a chance to get a new Golden Sun game. Also, Isaac AT would still be pretty awesome!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well she is on the fighter list with her trailer and all. So I don't know, weird.
Simon and K Rool had their character trailers posted on the blog on the 9th, the day after they were revealed on the direct and yet we still don't have a post for today.

Unless they're just not posting on Fridays anymore though that seems really unlikely. Maybe it's another effect of all the blog reshuffling.... I don't see why that would stop them posting Isabelles character trailer today though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Simon and K Rool had their character trailers posted on the blog on the 9th, the day after they were revealed on the direct and yet we still don't have a post for today.

Unless they're just not posting on Fridays anymore though that seems really unlikely. Maybe it's another effect of all the blog reshuffling.... I don't see why that would stop them posting Isabelles character trailer today though.
On the Japanese blog K. Rool was posted the next day, but Simon was definitely posted up within about an hour of the Smash Direct airing.

Thank you.

That would be flaming. Toxicity is when an atmosphere is so inherently negative that it makes it unpleasant.

I thought this would be a fun conversation to have. Speculating on how the game would look, how it would play, but instead I got "Way to go Nintendo you killed Golden Sun." Not really much to talk about when you put something that way. I know it's not everyone but I was having some fun with the Jon talk, hoping it would bring up spirits in the thread and it did with some. There could be a discussion to be had there. For most though, it was more about saying RIP Golden Sun before it even is really a thing.

I dunno. I saw some fun discussion and it's kinda just shut out by negativity. I find that kind of toxic so forgive me for that.
I actually agree. It is toxic in here right now, but its only a few people who are really being toxic. Everyone else is trying to get them to calm down.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
We’re getting a bit emotional here, reading through the last few posts. So I guess I can share some of my history with the character and the series.

I’ll say this. The way I got into golden sun was honestly somewhat pitiful. I was playing brawl with my friends one day and someone got the isaac assist trophy and I died because I used my recover when he sent out move, and just got pushed off the stage and died. After that I went into the trophy hoard to learn about that’s guy. Went onto YouTube and saw what the series was like. I was interested but didn’t have the means to get a copy of the gba game and try it out.

I didn’t even get to play the first golden sun till it was made availibe on the WiiU virtual console service. But in less then a week I had beaten the game, and it honestly stood out as one of my favorite experiences on the WiiU. I became a very vocal supporter of Isaac on miiverse. Went as far as making my mii isaac, And and NNID actually called “IsaacForSSB4” Today, I’m only 19 years old. So Going out there and talking to people about Isaac on miiverse back when I was about 15 was the first real social experience I had online. I tried to make some friends. Tried to remember some faces. My appreciation for the series made me venture pretty far out of my comfort zone to do that. I was pretty dang reclusive before then. Didn’t like talking to people. But I did it anyway because there was something about golden sun that made me care.

I didn’t know what it was either back then. I realize now that I’m a bit older that what made me care so much was it’s fans. We’re an odd bunch, of you think about it from an outsiders perspective, really. We’re bending over backwards to support a character from a half dead RPG series being put into a crossover fighting game. Kinda weird, huh. But I never thought about it that way. What I saw was passionate fans who were fighting to get their series the treatment it deserved.

When the lost age was released on virtual console. I bought that too. My Walmart even had a new copy’s of dark dawn on the shelf in 2016. (That place I see weird) I got that too. I was hooked. My experience with golden sun hasn’t been life long or persistent like some here’s. But it has been personal. And emotional.

I was there when the 3DS game leaked and people were streaming it. I recall getting jittery every time an assist trophy was picked up. But then they unlocked all the characters and I was devastated he wasn’t there, and want an assist trophy either. When the smash ballot was announced I voted for isaac. Implored others to do the same. In droves. I held onto hope all the way to that final reveal. I was weirded out by Corrin. But then Bayonetta. I was happy. She was someone I wanted too. Probably my second most wanted at the time actually. Even though the dream died that day, I would have never traded the whole experience of the world.

Im ashamed to admit. But for a while I gave up in the dream. But then Ultimate was annouced. And Ridley was shown. The gears in my head began to run “ridleys a fan pick character” “are they picking choices???” but I was so caught up in the sheer osmosis’s of Nintendo hype telling me who mattered and who didn’t and who was gonna be in and who wasn’t that it was a thought I quickly silenced. I didn’t want to be devastated all over again. But then we got to the smash ultimate direct. I was shouting loud when K rool made it. Big time because I was very happy for him, I had wanted him. But because then I could say with confidence my old favorite had a shot.

I’ll say it here. Isaac is likely in my eye because he’s the last character with a active and sizable community really left. Geno fans scattered to the winds after Brawl. He is possible. But it depends. Banjo is a dream. But Isaac remains possible. I’m gonna hold firmly onto this hope as long as it takes.

If golden sun remakes are annouced I don’t care what they’re for. I’m buying them. Money talks. If 40 bucks will get the golden boy in then it’s worth every penny’s.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think Nintendo and Camelot need to meet us half way when it comes to supporting Golden Sun. I don't think the people being upset at Golden Sun being on the 3DS are being unreasonable.

It doesn't matter how hard you run in a relay race if the person you pass the baton to starts strolling casually towards the finish line.

The consumer shouldn't be the one primarily responsible for making sure the product sells.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Thank you.

I definitely understand why you would see it that why, and I’m not trying to say you’re wrong. Honestly I kinda expected this because people were getting way too hyped about the possible reveal being in that direct. Especially when the trademark leaked. That’s why I’ve spent most of the past few hours trying to reel everyone back in as well as trying to get certain people to get some sleep to relax their nerves. Like I said earlier, some people need to vent and some have WAY more to vent out than others lol. I’m positive the thread will be back on track in a few hours now that most are sleeping and will hopefully have cooler heads by then.

Coaltergeist

Smash Apprentice
Oh lord I picked the wrong time to come back

EDIT: Just realized my sig is still from the smash ballot lmao

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well despite the negativity, let me give you all my thoughts. Me, a non-Golden Sun fan, has 99% hope in his inclusion. I've seen first hand movements to get him in Smash, as was evident in the Project M voting thread and the impact it left behind. It was made clear as day he is an incredibly popular choice that shouldn't be underestimated.

Just because Isaac isn't revealed today does not mean he won't be revealed at all. And even if he isn't, we shouldn't focus so negatively on it. Let your voice be heard. Not your anger.

Besides. There is more than enough evidence supporting his inclusion. The point of Isabelle's reveal was to not take the hype away from the rest of the direct, and lead up to the Animal Crossing announcement. Animal Crossing can be considered a console seller, so yeah. Isabelle's inclusion was completely fair and not without merit. So please. Be patient guys. Lol. We've got till December.

Last edited:

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
The only thing i am afraid of at the moment is the mii costume theory. Isabelle, Chrom, K.Rool, Dark Samus. All are in. The other costumes are mostly AT's now... So at this point i honestly believe Geno is in. Also Lloyd. I just hope that Isaac did well enough in the ballot so that Sakurai consider him.. Everything would be easier if Isaac hat a costume in Smash 4

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Well despite the negativity, let me give you all my thoughts. Me, a non-Golden Sun fan, has 99% hope in his inclusion. I've seen first hand movements to get him in Smash, as was evident in the Project M voting thread and the impact it left behind. It was made clear as day he is an incredibly popular choice that shouldn't be underestimated.

Just because Isaac isn't revealed today does not mean he won't be revealed at all. And even if he isn't, we shouldn't focus so negatively on it. Let your voice be heard. Not your anger.

Besides. There is more than enough evidence supporting his inclusion. The point of Isabelle's reveal was to not take the hype away from the rest of the direct, and lead up to the Animal Crossing announcement. Animal Crossing can be considered a console seller, so yeah. Isabelle's inclusion was completely fair and not without merit. So please. Be patient guys. Lol. We've got till December.
Pretty much this. This is not the end! In fact, we are only halfway done! Just under 90 days in fact! Remember Smash's hype did not start until E3?

The only thing i am afraid of at the moment is the mii costume theory. Isabelle, Chrom, K.Rool, Dark Samus. All are in. The other costumes are mostly AT's now... So at this point i honestly believe Geno is in. Also Lloyd. I just hope that Isaac did well enough in the ballot so that Sakurai consider him.. Everything would be easier if Isaac hat a costume in Smash 4
That theory really only leaves Skull Kid, Heihachi, Akira/Jacky, Lloyd Irving, Black Knight, (MH) Hunter, Viridi, Geno, Chocobo and Gil

Considering Ridley, Simon, Richter and Dark Samus weren't Mii Costumes, that disproves the theory for me.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Direct didn't go as expected but in a way I'm happy Isaac didn't get revealed. :)
If it happens, I'd like it to be done in a smash direct. This reveal changes pretty much nothing to the waiting game, so let's wait some more!:bluejump:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Since I am probably the biggest source of the current toxicity, I had better address it.

Everyone, I am thoroughly sorry for my behaviour. I have been behaving rather unreasonably, due to a mix of personal issues and some disappointment in the Direct. I will endeavor to maintain a more positive and welcoming atmosphere, as befitting the history of this thread and its community, and I hope you all will forgive me.

As for Golden Sun on 3DS: I would actually expect it to look a lot like Bravely Default. The ports of Wii U titles like Hyrule Warriors have shown about the extent of the system's capabilities. And a stylized look similar to Bravely Default would suit the series better than any attempt at overly realistic graphics.

What would be most interesting about it (or any port/remaster of the games) is what would be changed, and what would be added.

Small bonuses scenes (like the carryovers with Feizhi, the Thieves, and the Colosso victims) would be fun, easy things to implement, and could tie forward to Dark Dawn, helping flesh out and tie the world together. It would also be really fun to visit some of those towns or villages from Dark Dawn, before the Golden Sun kicks off their growth again. There won't be much to do there, necessarily. Just see the town in its dormant state, maybe pick up a stat boosting item or (dare I hope) a new Djinni.

Plus, we'd get to see redesigns of the Djinn who didn't appear in Dark Dawn, since I'm pretty sure they'd all have unique looks again.

But I do feel it is worth noting that Nintendo has a history of dumping games late into the lifespan of their handheld systems, and then abandoning them when they do not perform. Dark Dawn itself released only four months before the 3DS. It would be far better to treat this like they did Breath of the Wild or Twilight Princess, and release it on both 3DS and Switch.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Pretty much this. This is not the end! In fact, we are only halfway done! Just under 90 days in fact! Remember Smash's hype did not start until E3?

That theory really only leaves Skull Kid, Heihachi, Akira/Jacky, Lloyd Irving, Black Knight, (MH) Hunter, Viridi, Geno, Chocobo and Gil

Considering Ridley, Simon, Richter and Dark Samus weren't Mii Costumes, that disproves the theory for me.
We're half and half. Not exactly good odds. At most I can only see one more Mii Costume happening anyway and even then I think its very iffy we're getting Geno. Maybe Lloyd as DLC or something, but I definitely don't expect it.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
We're half and half. Not exactly good odds. At most I can only see one more Mii Costume happening anyway and even then I think its very iffy we're getting Geno. Maybe Lloyd as DLC or something, but I definitely don't expect it.
I think everyone is 50% likely at this point. Genos and Isaacs alike.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of a Golden Sun remake on 3DS, I think Camelot's Mario Golf: World Tour would be a good reference to look at. It features a mode called Castle tour that has you playing a Mii and exploring the castle in a top down old school RPG fashion.

Mario Golf Advance used Golden Sun's assets on the GBA to power its RPG mode. If the remake is real, perhaps Mario Golf on the 3DS would power this potential remake. I'll have to agree though that I think a remake on Switch would be much better at bringing in potential customers as that's where the active playing audience is. I think 3DS is on its way out. Even Pokemon is switching over. I like the idea Skyblade12 Skyblade12 proposed in making two versions, if indeed this remake even exists.

Of course, the preferred route is Golden Sun getting a full blown HD remake on Switch with a ton of effort involved, ironing out some of the overly long dialogue chatter, making choices matter more, harder difficulty, and more compelling or endearing character development via something like skits, additional side-quests, or something of the like, and also great graphics (cel-shading?) considering the GBA games were visual showcases and stood out due to their stunning visuals and effects at the time. Also higher quality arranged music, preferably with live instruments.

Also want to add that today's reveal of Isabelle doesn't really change anything for us. Unless we thought Isaac would be revealed during the direct and then no more newcomers would come, we're really just back to where we were the day before the direct. We should continue to be loud and clear of our desires, but have fun and be happy. It's just a game at the end of the day, but the dream ain't dead yet. Let's keep rooting for our boy! Gooooo Isaac!!!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think everyone is 50% likely at this point. Genos and Isaacs alike.
All I'm arguing is that being 50/50 doesn't help the costume theory in any way. Several big characters with costumes have already been deconfirmed. The fact that some characters got costumes just shows they are popular already, but it doesn't mean anything for or against characters if you just look at what we have. Half of our character reveals, HALF, are costume based.

On the other hand, it can just as easily be argued that they share a far more important common ground--all the additions are popular character requests.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
I wish to tell everyone that whenever I doubt or lose hope, I think of when Sakurai who put a focus on saying that Dark Samus and Chrom were "highly requested". If they were highly requested, where does Isaac stand? Why was his AT removed, but got an additional music track in 4? This is Smash "Ultimate/Special". The ballot means something. All of our votes mean something. I remain optimistic! :b:

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
I've mentioned before that Bowser got pulled back to Sunday. Bowser was filling in for someone.

If two posts are still missing after this, then I fully believe a character was cut from the Direct. Its still suspicious as is. It relates to Isaac because he's the biggest contender who could potentially get removed from a Direct that got delayed due to an earthquake. Isabelle's trailer also honestly feels more like an introduction trailer rather than an ending one.
Annnnnd now my hopes decide to go down even more because of this.. *frustrated sigh grunt* They better not completely cut a character just because of natural occurences I swear. I will be upset if that happens. I mean no offense I just think that would be going too far.
But at the same time if your theories pan out... then we will end up with a good result ("This is a good result!"), hopefully.
And I'm still playing catch up cause I'm constantly jumping in and out.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey guys a quick word. I've been checking all of the Character Speculation Frontrunners and everyone is bummed out right now. I know you guys want Isaac but just remember everyone is in the same boat as us.

The lack of faith, the loss of hope. All of it. They are feeling it too. And some haters...

Don't doubt our Golden Boy's chances! We keep on going until the end!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You raised the white flag before the battle even begun.

Did what I write not register at all?

If you are spiritually defeated, how can you know victory?

Do you not know that when you win it tastes sweeter knowing you worked and toiled for it?

This is the age of social media. Many people (especially those under 30) live their lives umbilically attached to the social media accounts. The age of the meme. Viral.

Instead of squawking in a thread endlessly, or throwing epithets and insults at a man who cannot read them. Open your heart. Your love. Your endearment. If this remake is made. Explain to the world what makes this series a cut above the rest and why it is something truly special. Cherish this opportunity. Its a small opening. It might not look like a winnable battle. However, please do not surrender before it has not even begun.

Dreams are the conception of reality. However, they must be nurtured, matured, and fed through the womb of action and perseverance. Do not quit already. The Isaac fanbase now has the largest and oldest fanbase of all remaining characters for Smash Bros. Put this to good use. This is your own unique battle. Call up to it and rise to the challenge.

Instead of mutually stroking each other, evangelize the dream. Help grow it. There are over 70 million 3DSs out there. You are telling me you cannot envision a possible hope. A future?

The Isaac fanbase can save the Golden Sun franchise if they so desire. Do not give up. Dream. Plan. Make Action.
I have not commented in the Isaac thread this round. However, there has been a large Isaac movement for pre-Brawl, pre-Smash 4, and now pre-Ultimate. He is the only character left that has had a very large fanbase for the last ten years.

If I may offer some hope. I was a major supporter of Ridley for the last 17 years (if not the preminent supporter of Ridley), and I heavily pushed for Roy's return in Smash Bros. as well. It got REALLY hopeless for both of these characters after Smash 4. Sakurai went on the record to say Ridley was indeed too big and resizing him would "not make him faithful to who Ridley really is" and Roy had to contend with the fact that there was already four Fire Emblem characters in the game (one of which was a Marth clone) and the fact that since so many Brawl veterans got cut, many viewed his return as low priority at that point. Flash forward to nine months later, Roy despite all odds, returns as DLC for Smash 4.

Ridley, a character with the distinction of being turned down three times and then having Sakurai personally pour cold water on the character, managed to somehow be greenlit only a year after Sakurai made his statements regarding Ridley (Sakurai made his statements on Ridley in November 2014 while the first project plan was submitted in December 2015). Ridley made it in despite all odds. I honestly was never expecting him to be added in after Smash 4.

Look at Young Link and Pichu too? I bet their supporters thought that they would never be in another Smash Bros. game, yet here they are now.

K. Rool needed the ballot to make it in. He was a character who had not been in his own series since 2007, and had not made an appearance outside Smash Bros. since 2008. Many thought he was a shoe-in for Smash 4 or its DLC.

Chrom and Dark Samus are also good examples. Chrom was yet another example of a character whom Sakurai poured cold water on (he said the character was too similar to Marth and Ike), and he was kind of a butt monkey in Smash 4 (see the Robin unveil trailer and the Palutena's guidance for Robin). There was also the general fatigue in general for Fire Emblem to the point where it had become the one series where groans can be heard if the topic of newcomers for it comes up. There was also the fact the character was quickly becoming old news in his own series, with Fates, Shadows of Valentia, and now Three Houses being all more current games to the series. Chrom still made it in due to fan demand.

Dark Samus might have the single most incredible story of making it into Smash Bros. of them all. Ridley, a character that had been heavily requested for over 17 years only made it in with this game. Dark Samus's peak popularity was with the pre-Brawl era. Like K. Rool, her last appearance in her own series was all the way back in 2007, and unlike K. Rool, its unlikely she will ever actually be a part of the storyline again. Metroid Prime content in general always left much to be desired, and in Smash 4 in particular the only Prime trilogy content outside a few songs (all either rips or ports from Brawl) was the Assist Trophy of Dark Samus (all the other Metroid content was mostly stuff from Other M, and a few things from Super/Zero Mission). Most of her dedicated fanbase evaporated as Metroid fans tried to circle the wagons to try to get Ridley in. Ironically it might have been due to Sakurai's own statements on Ridley as to why Dark Samus might have done as well on the ballot as she did (Metroid fans might have been broken on Ridley ever happening and voted for Dark Samus instead so that some sort of Metroid villain got in). Despite all odds, Dark Samus made it in.

I am not saying Isaac is going to be in. Heck, there is a good chance Isaac might not even be an Assist Trophy. However, with the Ultimate a lot of the impossible has been made possible. A lot of the conventional wisdom has been shattered. Who would have thought Daisy would make it in as our Mario newcomer over the likes of Toad, Geno, Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Captain Toad?

Just keep expectations low, and you might be surprised. Sakurai's own words in the last dedicated Smash Bros. direct was that there were only a few more fighters left to be unveiled. He has already unveiled K. Rool and Isabelle after this statement. Realistically, there likely is not any more than five fighters left at this point, with there possibly being as little as only three more (one more non-echo and two more echoes).

If Isaac for whatever reason does not make it in as an Assist Trophy or fighter, its not necessarily the end. He could potentially be DLC. Just support the character. However, those who think he is "likely" are setting themselves up for a disappointment. Just support him. Realize the journey is likely going to get you kicked in the face quite a bit along the way. Ridley fans had this extensively. K. Rool fans too. If Isaac is their equal, it is his turn to eat pain.

Now, if those rumors of a Golden Sun remake on 3DS are true. I would absolutely implore Golden Sun fans to purchase the hell out of that game. Do not cry or whine that is on an outdated console or that you hate handhelds. If you truly care about the future of Isaac. The future of Golden Sun and its universe. You would not only buy that game, but you would try your best to get others to play it too. That is absolutely your last chance to save the franchise. Going about thinking you can save the franchise just from memeing Isaac into Smash Bros. is backwards. If Golden Sun's remake does well it puts him in a much better position going forward. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Pirate the game. $40 to support your character and franchise of choice is not a hardship. It is your duty. Words talk. Actions walk.

I myself am sympathetic to Isaac and Golden Sun fans even though I am still not even through the first game in the series (I bought both of the GBA games during the last four years). I hope some day I can appreciate this series like the rest of you. However, you will need to realize that in this journey, the paths and obstacles will not be the same as what others have faced. Everyone has their own journey. Appreciate the strength of others while you cultivate your own. This journey might be over in a few months, or it might take another decade. Keep at it.

There are very few important and iconic Nintendo characters left not yet playable yet in Smash Bros. Dixie Kong, Toad, and maybe Bandanna Dee might be all that is left. Isaac is on the knife edge between being an "all-star" and just a "cult favorite". After Brawl's release, the fanbases of many characters that failed to make it in after Brawl collapsed after a few years. Of the few that did not, they were Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, Little Mac, Bowser Jr., and of course Isaac. All of these characters except one is now in.

Isaac stands alone in history AND prestige. Isaac is not Ridley. Isaac is not K. Rool. Isaac is not Roy. Isaac is not Dark Samus. Isaac is not Chrom. He is facing his own unique circumstances against him and his journey is different. However, where all the journey lie as one is the adversity. The downs. The lows. And the blows. You can know things look bleak, but still press forward. Still fight on to the tomorrow. Know that your next destination might not bring you to where you hoped to be. But still press on. Press on. Chanel the dream within and extend it through hope and heart.

If Golden Sun is brought back through a remake, that is where you must absolutely fight. That is your opening. Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight. And Give no Respite. You have to buy the game. The game from which my avatar hails (Fire Emblem Thracia 776) was released when the SNES was nine years old, and yet it still ended up being a masterpiece and still to this day one of the best games in the series in my opinion. Kirby's Adventure was released when the Famicom was 10 years old and is widely regarded as one of the platform's foremost masterpieces. A remake/retelling of the series for the 3DS would absolutely be the series's last chance. TAKE IT. RUN WITH IT. FAST. FASTER. EVEN FASTER.

As I told hopeless Roy fans four years ago. Onward. Together we ride.

Isaac for Smash Bros.

May the Sun Shine On

As always, your insight and support as a veteran to these currently struggling fanbases is deeply appreciated, and nothing short of amazing. Biggest thanks for sharing your time in with us. That speech had me damn moved.

As Chrono said - this is the spirit, the undying flame we have to continue keeping alive. Everything can, and WILL count to something - thus we must go on at it, much like the many other fanbases that has gone what we've before. And if it's not enough, we'll just make new ways to go even further beyond. The Golden Sun-series needs us.

Overall, like I had said already - Isabelle being in Smash is FAR from the battle being over. She's not the adversary we should be directing our excess pessimism on. :100:

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If we're not getting a post about Isabelle today, then maybe she was always planned for Monday and that was the reason Bowser was moved forward. What are the chances that Bowser was just filling in for Isabelle?

I feel kinda stuck between not wanting to be negative but also I'm afraid I'll get carried away with blog post numbers again when they don't mean anything for us.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
If we're not getting a post about Isabelle today, then maybe she was always planned for Monday and that was the reason Bowser was moved forward. What are the chances that Bowser was just filling in for Isabelle?

I feel kinda stuck between not wanting to be negative but also I'm afraid I'll get carried away with blog post numbers again when they don't mean anything for us.
We carry on chum. It is better to enjoy the ride and hate the ending then to not enjoy the ride at all.

Yes we could be lining ourselves up for disappointment. But think of all the fun times we had along the way and that will make it not for nothing :)

I now feel confident drawing comics thanks to Isaac. No deconfirmation can take that from me.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably repeating myself a bit here but eh who cares. :p

I guess it makes sense for most of the guys who figured they were frontrunners this time around to be somewhat disappointed, even if logically the one revealed today made sense.

As today was a general direct, a more all around-centric rather than smash focused pick that was already decided upon 3 years or so ago would be a wise choice. Isabelle could possibly be the only regular choice that was left besides a predictable pokemon pick. Thus it's highly likely that everyone from here on out is fan picks.

Of course this is speculation, but there's still a large ray of hope for our boy, as well as those routing for geno, skull kid, whomever.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Annnnnd now my hopes decide to go down even more because of this.. *frustrated sigh grunt* They better not completely cut a character just because of natural occurences I swear. I will be upset if that happens. I mean no offense I just think that would be going too far.
But at the same time if your theories pan out... then we will end up with a good result ("This is a good result!"), hopefully.
And I'm still playing catch up cause I'm constantly jumping in and out.
Lolwut? This makes no sense whatsoever. All I'm saying is they potentially cut a trailer until its a more opportune time to reveal it, and maybe revamp it a bit. No way in hell would they remove a character entirely over this.

Anyway, several posts are still missing. 135, 136, 137, 140 (definitely music), and 143. It'll be interesting to see when these show up.

Zero. Isabelle will at most take up three blog posts (the trailer which is already up, Today's Fighter, and maybe a memory), still leaving one missing. There's nothing else to have a post for. And they've literally never done this before, either. Inklings were the same night as the Direct as was Simon (with Simon showing up about an hour after the Direct ended).

143 is still also MIA for no reason, and nothing announced would be able to fill in that post.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I just noticed that Animal Crossing: New Leaf sold over 10 million copies (it sold more than 3DS Smash Bros!). Seeing that, there was NO WAY she wasn't going to be a Unique fighter. Especially due to her popularity. She is too big. And I though Inklings were a surefire slot.

Now it puts Pokemon back in the spotlight as a possibilty.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
On another more positive note for Isaac, I didn't really see anything in the direct that looked like it would have been offensive. When Cities Skylines showed up I thought maybe they were going to show off a natural disaster happening but they didn't. Either they cut it out or there was never anything offensive about it in the first place. Even Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Daemon X Machina didn't have anything that looked like it would have caused offense. (they were the main two games I was suspicious of)

Considering the insiders said that it was going to be "very obvious" what the game in question was I do find it strange that it wasn't at all obvious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom