• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

You can dislike them but like Bandana Dee, like I do. And "hat Goomba" is old news, tbh.
Brother, I wish Hat Goomba was old news, but there’s still so many idiots out there still spouting it like it makes any lick of sense. It’s tiring.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
What I find even more cringe worthy is how people legit think Isaac shouldn't be allowed to be in the game at all. It's like they have a hate b*nner for him or something.
Tell me about it. Seems like the same people who claim Isaac was cut in 4 cause he's irrelevant along with his series. I've seen it said we'll be lucky to even get Isaac's assist back. The thing that really grinded my gears was a whole thread dedicated to asking Isaac fans if they've reached the acceptance stage yet? Like who cares? Who stays that invested over a fanbase of supporters and actively wants to rain on their parade? Things like this make me hope they don't get the satisfaction to even gloat and rub it in about how they knew all along he wouldn't make it and blah blah.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Or "animu swordsman"

Edit : TempestSurge TempestSurge I agree 100 % lol. It's really immature and gives certain smash fans a bad name in that regard.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Bandana Dee is the #1 Japanese pick iirc, so I doubt Sakurai would make him an assist trophy, because then it precludes him from being DLC. Even if he's not in the base game, Sakurai is aware of his popularity and would want to keep his options open.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
A chair is far more iconic, significant to gaming history and deserving than Goku. :troll:
Ironically enough I used to support the idea before. Now I hate the whole idea altogether. Not only did he not originate from a video game, but Goku will get all the recognition he could from cross over series like jump stars, movies, shows, commercials, or even as one of the anime reps in the Japanese Olympics. He doesn't need smash to gain more recognition. Meanwhile I think characters like Shantae, Geno, Isaac, etc are far better candidates and relevancy at this point should be thrown out the window when we have members in the cast that show that's not always the case.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
What I find even more cringe worthy is how people legit think Isaac shouldn't be allowed to be in the game at all. It's like they have a hate b*nner for him or something.
There’s multiple reasons for this, though. And it all stems from a lack of recognizability.

1. Despite his (growing) popularity, many people still don’t know/care about Isaac being in the game.

2. We’re coming up on the final stretch and this is where fanbases usually become rabid. If Isaac gets in over their character they will hate him. It doesn’t matter who else is revealed alongside him, since Isaac would likely be the most obscure, he’s the one that should have been cut in favor of their character - in their eyes.

3. There’s a distinct lack of knowledge of what Isaac is. Despite his booming popularity there’s still a vocal subsection that sees him as an “anime swordsman” and nothing else.

Isaac is a scary thought to some people, just as much as he is a beacon of hope for many others. Isaac is a gateway to the obscure/“dead” Nintendo franchises.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Ironically enough I used to support the idea before. Now I hate the whole idea altogether. Not only did he not originate from a video game, but Goku will get all the recognition he could from cross over series like jump stars, movies, shows, commercials, or even as one of the anime reps in the Japanese Olympics. He doesn't need smash to gain more recognition. Meanwhile I think characters like Shantae, Geno, Isaac, etc are far better candidates and relevancy at this point should be thrown out the window when we have members in the cast that show that's not always the case.
There’s multiple reasons for this, though. And it all stems from a lack of recognizability.

1. Despite his (growing) popularity, many people still don’t know/care about Isaac being in the game.

2. We’re coming up on the final stretch and this is where fanbases usually become rabid. If Isaac gets in over their character they will hate him. It doesn’t matter who else is revealed alongside him, since Isaac would likely be the most obscure, he’s the one that should have been cut in favor of their character - in their eyes.

3. There’s a distinct lack of knowledge of what Isaac is. Despite his booming popularity there’s still a vocal subsection that sees him as an “anime swordsman” and nothing else.

Isaac is a scary thought to some people, just as much as he is a beacon of hope for many others. Isaac is a gateway to the obscure/“dead” Nintendo franchises.
There are many reasons why people support an underdog more in some cases.

1. It gives interest in the series that the characters are based from. ( The reason I want characters from IP's like Metroid, F-Zero, DKC, Golden Sun, and others is because Smash gives these franchises value, believe it or not, in the eyes of the casual fanbase that Smash attracts.)

2. Their franchise or series is either underrepresented, or not represented at all. (I like when franchises get some more characters. I feel 4-5 is good enough, but franchises like Kirby having 3, Metroid and DK having 2, and F-Zero having 1 is not fair to the fans of the franchise. The same can also be said of franchises like advanced Wars, and Golden Sun.)
3. These characters haven't been seen in a long time. (Black Shadow, Isaac, Ridley, King K Rool, and even Geno should be given more appearances by Nintendo. : < )

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman

True, but all I see is that it's just this same old repetitive cycle for newcomers, and the posts about why Isaac shouldn't be in are nowhere near being objective as some of the posters have claimed them to be. I seen them make lots of fallacies like assuming the Golden Sun fanbase as a whole is toxic and denounce us members for grasping on too many straws like the Rathalos tweet. That's just my two cents though.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
True, but all I see is that it's just this same old repetitive cycle for newcomers, and the posts about why Isaac shouldn't be in are nowhere near being objective as some of the posters have claimed them to be. I seen them make lots of fallacies like assuming the Golden Sun fanbase as a whole is toxic and denounce us members for grasping on too many straws like the Rathalos tweet. That's just my two cents though.
Speaking of which, guess who recently painted this community as "toxic".

Lmao, that guy really shouldn't be a coward, since I don't remember anyone but me being super negative to Incenroar. xD
IMG_3367.JPG

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Bandana Dee is the #1 Japanese pick iirc, so I doubt Sakurai would make him an assist trophy, because then it precludes him from being DLC. Even if he's not in the base game, Sakurai is aware of his popularity and would want to keep his options open.
Well even if he was an AT he's not out for DLC.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

Lmao, that guy really shouldn't be a coward, since I don't remember anyone but me being super negative to Incenroar. xD
View attachment 169302
LOL

Claims that we're spreading hate about a character and that hating a character is bad

Proceeds to hate on Isaac and lycanroc

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
LOL

Claims that we're spreading hate about a character and that hating a character is bad

Proceeds to hate on Isaac and lycanroc
So guess part of our effort is to denounce Incineroar now?
What really pisses me off that i directly said to him that "if you really want to go after anyone, go after me." Nobody else in this thread is particularly toxic about the big cat.

Nobody but me and a couple of others really have much to say on incenroar. In fact, most are just "okay" with him. As long as Isaac gets in.

What i think should be used appropriately is the word "doubt", not "hate", Vex.

-.-

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
So guess part of our effort is to denounce Incineroar now?
Well, that user in particular seemed to come into the thread only whenever the conversation happened to drift back to Incineroar and then in turn proceed to insult Isaac, in his own support thread. I mean at least no one goes to the Incineroar thread and call him lame or something there.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well, that user in particular seemed to come into the thread only whenever the conversation happened to drift back to Incineroar and then in turn proceed to insult Isaac, in his own support thread. I mean at least no one goes to the Incineroar thread and call him lame or something there.
Of course not, I'll just wait until he leaves the thread and give him a wedgie and swirlie

just kidding I don't really care

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I'd just like to say that this thread is full of great people.

And that it would be a shame to paint everyone here to be some hateful being based on the actions of an individual like me.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

And that it would be a shame to paint everyone here to be some hateful being based on the actions of an individual like me.
Don't worry about it. Even if you did not do anything chances are a falseflagger would be used to make the Isaac Support Thread look bad.

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
What really pisses me off that i directly said to him that "if you really want to go after anyone, go after me." Nobody else in this thread is particularly toxic about the big cat.

Nobody but me and a couple of others really have much to say on incenroar. In fact, most are just "okay" with him. As long as Isaac gets in.

What i think should be used appropriately is the word "doubt", not "hate", Vex.

-.-
While I did make a comment earlier in this thread about Incineroar I only ever said that: 1) Pokemon as a series already has a lot of representation. 2) Incineroar has similarities to other playable characters. 3) I only ever said that Incineroar wouldn't make me excited (in the sense that I am excited for :ultridley:, :ultdarksamus:, and :ultkrool:). I won't condemn Incineroar if he gets in over Isaac (I will be a little upset sure but, I will live). Even though I am a Pokemon fan, in my opinion, Incineroar falls under the "happy they are in but, not terribly excited for" much like (:ultinkling:, :ultisabelle:, and :ultsimon:). No hate towards Incineroar, just expressing my take on him. (BTW, I would much rather Incineroar than Steve).

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Thing is it's not just an 'Isaac fans' thing, every Smash cycle people talk about their potential favorites to make the roster and it's so common to see people not particularly like every single character being speculated for Smash. Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, Isaac, Shantae, etc. like making it seem it's something only the big bad toxic Isaac fans do is ridiculous.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

View attachment 169302
It’s too bad that he feels that way, but I think he’s selling falsehood. Most of the discussion I’ve seen is against the idea of a Pokémon newcomer, not specifically Incineroar- he’s just the one seen as the most likely. Even those who are against Incineroar specifically are just expressing their opinions.

I’m sorry he doesn’t feel like he’s able to have a reasonable debate, but I don’t think we have given him any reasons to think that.

ZelDan

Smash Master
While I did make a comment earlier in this thread about Incineroar I only ever said that: 1) Pokemon as a series already has a lot of representation. 2) Incineroar has similarities to other playable characters. 3) I only ever said that Incineroar wouldn't make me excited (in the sense that I am excited for :ultridley:, :ultdarksamus:, and :ultkrool:). I won't condemn Incineroar if he gets in over Isaac (I will be a little upset sure but, I will live). Even though I am a Pokemon fan, in my opinion, Incineroar falls under the "happy they are in but, not terribly excited for" much like (:ultinkling:, :ultisabelle:, and :ultsimon:). No hate towards Incineroar, just expressing my take on him. (BTW, I would much rather Incineroar than Steve).
I'd certainly take Incineroar over Steve too. Then again I'd probably want most other characters over Steve as long as they originate from a video game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Yo, don’t say that ****. You might be controversial and not mince words, but you’re not some kind of memoryman.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
Btw do you have any interesting smash related Discord chat? I'm only in SourceGaming but I would like to be entertained in any leak / theory / whatever smash chat.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman

I think a perfect way to summarize this whole situation is that each person has their own set of opinions (This has been Captain Obvious with some brilliant insight).

jweb23

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 169302
Ugh...let's not bring that person up. I'm 100% sure not a single regular poster on this thread has ever gone to the Incineroar thread to talk s**t unlike him/her who literally tried to be our mothers once by saying he/she was "disappointed in our behavior" as they then talked about how they didn't like Isaac, smh. Since this topic has now been brought up I might as well give my two cents on Incineroar in Smash Ultimate.

Personally I'm not against it as I'm not against any character getting in, it just takes me a while to get use to "weird ones" such as ROB and Mr G&W because it was jarring to look at them at first. However it makes little to no sense to me for Incineroar to be added to the roster for THIS Smash game! What I mean by that is whether you like the currently revealed newcomers or not no one can argue against the large outcry from a plethora of fans for these characters to be playable back around the time of the Ballot (2015).

Inkling: the hottest new IP from Nintendo and many people including myself wanted them playable.
Ridley: shouldn't have to explain.
King K Rool: look at Ridley's reasoning.
Simon Belmont: the second most requested 3rd party behind Megaman after Brawl's release.
Isabelle: at this point she's not just a face for Animal Crossing but for Nintendo with her insane popularity, there was a reason she became dlc for Mario Kart.

Even the echoes are major fan requests!
Daisy: always held back by moveset potential, but now clones are cool so she finally gets in.
Chrom: Awakening literally saved Fire Emblem and fans love his character in the game including myself. (My favorite newcomer so far!)
Richter Belmont: the most popular Belmont in Japan.
Dark Samus: most fans wanted it as it's own unique character for Smash 4.

The point of me listing all of this is to show that these characters all existed before the Ballot was a thing. As a Pokemon fan I know for a fact that Incineroar's design was most likely finalized around the time of the ballot but the fans had no knowledge of it or Gen 7 at all so Incineroar's inclusion is not a fan request like every other newcomer so far. I've seen a few people say it makes sense to add the latest generation into Smash and to that I say, sure...but you do realize Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur got added in Brawl's roster when Gen 4 was the hot thing at the time. So it's not like Sakurai ignores the popularity of older Pokemon. Personally my favorite Pokemon from Gen 7 is Primarina and although I would be excited for it, in the back of my mind Primarina is not what the fans wanted so I would understand the irritation many would have with it's inclusion. Plus the fact that it would give Pokemon 10 unique characters.

In conclusion people don't hate Incineroar. Personally I don't care for it because I'm tired of GameFreak's trend of quadrupedal Fire starter evolving into ugly bipedal humanoid creature, three straight generations of it but I digress as that's a completely different topic. Incineroar breaks the fan requested trend as there were a LOT of popular Pokemon choices that fans voted for.

Assuming Incineroar does get in I'm 100% sure it would have a dope moveset though. Just don't have Flamethrower as your neutral special!!!

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
What's lost in a lot of it is that most of us and myself are actually huge fans of Pokemon and actually offer constructive criticism towards how we think a good representation in Smash would look. In truth, Incineroar is just not all that exciting, nor are most of Gen 7. Like another user pointed out, there's already a boatload of Pokemon that are short-range attackers and already other characters in the roster itself that makes the ideas thrown around about the character seem awful repetitive. Most of the feelings for me against Incineroar come from my very anti- flavor-of-the-month character preferences.

Coupled with the indifference and how I doubt his popularity will pan out long-term. It just makes a very bland choice. That's not hate.

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 169302
Oh I've expressed I don't like the idea of Incineroar or a new Pokemon rep for that matter.
Nor am I too fond of the idea of Steve either.

But other than my opinion I don't really think we're hating too much on other possible candidates, no more than any others anyway.

What this guy misses here is that we literally have had 0 new info since the august direct.
(Isabelle may count but we didn't get much more than that)

So there's only so many things we can talk about before running out hah.
In general I think most people are just in standby waiting for a bit of more info or anything.

And more importantly, this guy completely missed that the point of this thread is not to only support Isaac, but also 50 cent.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Lol Felix wearing a mask would be similar to one of Lucina's taunt. They would share that in common along with the fact that they would both be echoes
-INB4 Lucina x Felix >:3

GoldenSunIsAlive

Smash Cadet
Hereby; the poll again (If you might have missed it) called:

What weapon should Isaac wield in SSBU if he is announced?

Vote here: https://linkto.run/p/C5YAJ7OQ

*If you have any requests for weapons not found on the poll, please tell us.
*If you have any questions about weapons found on the poll, check the following links:

- Gaia Blade (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Gaia_Blade)
- Sol Blade (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Sol_Blade)
- Excalibur (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur)
- Stellar Axe (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Stellar_Axe)
- Herculean Axe (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Herculean_Axe)
- Bloody Claws (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Bloody_Claw)

*If you have any more questions you have no answers to following the links, please feel free to ask.
*Poll closes on the 15th of this month. (10/2018)

Top Bottom