• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Alright lads, time to go through what we have for and against our boy's chances and put on our tinfoil hats.
https://youtu.be/-jiBeQctWa8

Isaac has been an AT in brawl, and got a nice remix from Sakuraba-sensei to be paired with. He didn't make it in as a fighter but he was acknowledged by Sakurai and his team.

Fast forward Smash 4, his AT is completely gone. You could say that they didn't care about Golden Sun anymore but they kept his remix from brawl and got a new ripped track from Dark Dawn, meaning that the team still acknowledges Golden Sun, even if it's as relevant as a grain of sand in a desert. This situation is very fishy to me.

Isaac had strong and consistent demand throughout the years (he's a first party character!), he can bring a unique gameplay, a good stage, good assist trophies and kickass tracks! They all can fit Smash perfectly which is an important criteria for being in according to lord Sakurai-sama. It could also bring his series back to life, as it would benefit Nintendo to have yet another great RPG on the switch.

And then comes the Smash Ballot. This is Isaac's chance, but clearly the ballot was never meant for SSB4 as all the DLCs were either returning veterans, third party characters or a shameless promotional character.

King K.Rool, a very popular ballot choice got a mii costume but Isaac didn't. The meaning of this is up for interpretation. Again, either Sakurai, doesn't care about Golden Sun, either he has been planned as a playable character for Ultimate at that point or he simply thought that K.Rool as a costume was funny.

Fast forward now, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate/Special. It's presented as the *wink* ultimate smash game having the most content of them all, for the fans first and foremost. Sakurai toldus is that he uses the ballot for the characters this time around. RIDLEY got in. K.ROOL got in.

Isaac's trophy hasn't been shown twice so far, even when focusing on returning assists from the past. He considers Dark Samus and Chrom as HIGHLY requested characters. If they are highly requested, how would that make Isaac look like?

And then we got potentially big calings like Sakurai's raphalos tweet (even if I don't exactly buy it), Golden Sun's trademark has been renewed not once, but TWICE recently.

(Tinfoil hat moment)
I don't know about you guys, but when I saw Richter's reveal the meaning of echo characters became clear to me. When I think of echo characters, I think of Isaac and Felix. They fit the criteria perfectly to me.
Anyways lol

Now you could say that
-Isaac, while popular, was not as popular as K.Rool or Ridley back then
-His series is dead compared to ridley's and K.Rool's (I personally don't think this poses a problem at all)
-Sakurai doesn't care about Golden sun at all.

So there you go. I remain optimistic, but am still prepared for the worst as anything can happen now (that includes our boy being in :^) ), but I say our chances have never been this big. It's OUR time.

(Sorry for any typos, wrote this on my phone)
Edit: if I've missed anything, feel free to point it out!

Last edited:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
The only thing i hope is that we made our voices heard back during the ballot time. I think we did since Isaac mysteriously gone in smash 4. I really think many fans have made their voices heard since that and that Sakurai was aware of that. I remain optimistic too but of course i am ready for the worst if it happens

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Stay positive everyone. The only person in this thread that is allowed to be negative for extended periods of time is Xeno.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
The only thing i hope is that we made our voices heard back during the ballot time. I think we did since Isaac mysteriously gone in smash 4. I really think many fans have made their voices heard since that and that Sakurai was aware of that. I remain optimistic too but of course i am ready for the worst if it happens
I know I put my vote in. On multiple devices even lol.

But even before the ballot Isaac had a presence in the speculation scene. We were big enough to warrant Isaac being on top 10-20 lists. Granted those don’t have any true bearing on a characters inclusion.

All I know is that we’re bigger than ever right now because the door is wide open for our Golden Boy. Aside from obvious 3rd party choices (Banjo, Geno, *ugh* Steve *hurrrk*, Ken, Shadow) he’s the next best 1st party choice that isn’t an obligatory Pokemon Rep.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
You can still be an Isaac fan and still not expect him to show up. It's obvious that Sakurai isn't gunning for his inclusion, it's all on the fans and while plenty of people are supporting Isaac NOW, back in 2015 I bet most of them voted for other characters in the ballot.
Isn't this a point in Isaac's favor though? The fans are what got Ridley and Chrom into Ultimate, two characters that Sakurai turned down from being playable in the last game.

I honestly think one thing we shouldn't be questioning is Isaac's popularity and fan demand.

link3710

Smash Cadet
I was under the impression they caught the guy who did the ESRB leak, and they were the one who sent the video the the ESRB in the first place (so a Nintendo / Bandai Namco employee). Pretty sure he was arrested.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Someone posted an Ace Attorney track earlier and I have to say something that's been on my mind for a while now.

I feel like Isaac and Phoenix Wright would make for a really good team, since Isaacs final smash would most likely be Judgement. I think they'd work well as a pair. (and I'm not just saying that because they're both in my top three most wanted characters :p)

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget, Isaac fanbase was never loud and yet we did beat Geno on that last poll, we only lost to BK because of it's iconic status, he reach more people then our anime Swordboy.

Isaac fanbase definetly pack a punch during 2015 even if they weren't loud.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Don't forget, Isaac fanbase was never loud and yet we did beat Geno on that last poll, we only lost to BK because of it's iconic status, he reach more people then our anime Swordboy.

Isaac fanbase definetly pack a punch during 2015 even if they weren't loud.
really hope you're right

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I know I put my vote in. On multiple devices even lol.

But even before the ballot Isaac had a presence in the speculation scene. We were big enough to warrant Isaac being on top 10-20 lists. Granted those don’t have any true bearing on a characters inclusion.

All I know is that we’re bigger than ever right now because the door is wide open for our Golden Boy. Aside from obvious 3rd party choices (Banjo, Geno, *ugh* Steve *hurrrk*, Ken, Shadow) he’s the next best 1st party choice that isn’t an obligatory Pokemon Rep.
I can get you a bucket if you need to say...see I can't even think it without feeling queasy. Lets just call him "the block who shall not be named"

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can get you a bucket if you need to say...see I can't even think it without feeling queasy. Lets just call him "the block who shall not be named"
I'd actually like it if they both get in and have a terraform stand-off.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Better call him "Movement of a Lego Figurine".

E: Sakurai always had a weird taste. I wouldn't even be surprised if he got in.

Last edited:

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I'd actually like it if they both get in and have a terraform stand-off.
My biggest issue with Steve is...wait more than 1 issue lemme see:
1. I don't see how they could put him in Smash and make him work, I know they made Mr. Game and Watch work but he is flat. Steve would just look really out of place imo.
2. His moveset potential is not as unique as other potential newcomers. Using tools and random stuff like Villager, and using a sword, bow, and bombs like Link.
3. Nobody I know who plays Minecraft uses the default Steve skin...ever. There are so many skins to choose from even the free ones which are so much better. So why get excited over a character who I never see used even in his own game? This is from my group of friends, random people I play with on Minecraft, and YouTube videos about the game.

In conclusion I am a Minecraft player when I am in the mood for it, and it is a good game for what it does. However I think that adding a Minecraft character into Smash as a playable character is a horrible idea personally. BUT an assist trophy or Minecraft items would be pretty neat and a nice shoutout to the series.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I can't believe my feed is filled with "Musoc theory" is dead.

Just kill [That dumb cat] chances already, Nintendo.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I can't believe my feed is filled with "Musoc theory" is dead.

Just kill [That dumb cat] chances already, Nintendo.
Yeah, it’s getting a bit ridiculous. It’s sad when I want the Deconfirmation of Inciniroar as much as I want the confirmation of Isaac...

It’s just... why Inciniroar? I don’t get it...

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Turns out I'm a mercury adept, 'cause I drifted Initial D style through the hurricane today lol. Sakurai should add Isaac in based on my driving skills alone

ferioku

Smash Ace
That's great! But I think your are on the wrong forum! Why don't you try r/cynical?

Tbh I don't know how 18 years of disapointment feels, but Isaac is the first party whit the most going for him at the moment and Sakurai teased him too. The trademark renewal twice in a years was probably not for is AT and Motoi Sakuraba is yet to be shown whit a music on the website.

Nothing is worrying so far.
That's the thing you got completely wrong though. We don't know if Sakurai truly teased the character because we still haven't gotten any other hints and no true evidence yet. You wasn't here when the Brawl/Smash4 disappointment happend, so i'm guessing you wouldn't really understand how it felt when smash 4 . Not having an assist trophy however, was literally everyone's hype meter filled to max in Smash 4.

Imagine you truly believed that we will get him as a playable character, and you had nothing but positivity and the next thing you know, BANG, no Isaac reveal trailer, wouldn't that be a lot worse than having low expectations?

I obviously want Isaac to be in the game no question but i'm not going to have an estimated prediction to what chances he has. There is no numbers in my eyes, it's either he is in or he's out and we are about to see that!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Yeah, it’s getting a bit ridiculous. It’s sad when I want the Deconfirmation of Inciniroar as much as I want the confirmation of Isaac...

It’s just... why Inciniroar? I don’t get it...
Wasn't it said that the Pokemon creator loves Inciniroar and probably pitched that to Sakurai early?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
That's the thing you got completely wrong though. We don't know if Sakurai truly teased the character because we still haven't gotten any other hints and no true evidence yet. You wasn't here when the Brawl/Smash4 disappointment happend, so i'm guessing you wouldn't really understand how it felt when smash 4 . Not having an assist trophy however, was literally everyone's hype meter filled to max in Smash 4.

Imagine you truly believed that we will get him as a playable character, and you had nothing but positivity and the next thing you know, BANG, no Isaac reveal trailer, wouldn't that be a lot worse than having low expectations?

I obviously want Isaac to be in the game no question but i'm not going to have an estimated prediction to what chances he has. There is no numbers in my eyes, it's either he is in or he's out and we are about to see that!
Low expectations is one thing, but don't make it completely sound like there's nothing going for Isaac for us to even believe he's playable in the first place. What do you consider true evidence? His assist trophy has so far avoided two segments of assist trophy deconfirmations, Golden Sun music has disappeared from Samus' stage and has yet to casually pop up on the website, there's still five unrevealed stages we don't know about, the entire August direct was all about highly requested characters, Sakurai even brought up the ballot. Isaac has more going for his chances in Ultimate with the highly requested/fan favorites roster selection, than he ever had with 4's recency and promotion based selection and it's not like Ridley and K. Rool made the roster that game either.

All we can do is speculate on how likely he is with the information above. Can't get any more concrete and surefire than that, as I doubt that any Golden Sun items or assists and the like is going to be featured in any trailers to give it away, before Isaac shows up himself. Even if Isaac is not playable, no reason why his assist trophy won't return, when there's other prominent popular speculated newcomers like Shovel Knight, Krystal, Bomberman etc. receiving one.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, can't say Incineroar would make me excited. I think part of the reason I don't want him is because, we have already gotten two large fighters with claws :ultridley: and :ultkrool:. These were among my (as well as many others) most wanted additions, not because they were large animalistic characters with claws, but because they were the villains of some great games. Incineroar does not carry nearly the same impact as the other two.

The Smash community likes to place characters in categories. These categories can be by series or by similar traits (sword users, third parties, ect.). One such category are large/heavyweight characters which include: :ultdk:, :ultbowser:, :ultkingdedede:, :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and Charizard. Considering that Incineroar is taller than Charizard and weighs nearly the same amount (in Pokemon games), it makes me almost certain that if Incineroar gets in he will be the third large/heavyweight newcomer for Ultimate.

By the way, I could see Isaac's size being similar to his Brawl assist trophy which is slightly smaller than adult characters like Link, Captain Falcon, Simon, and Richter.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Which stage would you live on
Onett all the way baby!
It looks like a nice place to live in, it kinda reminds me of the houses from "The Peanuts."

Top Bottom