• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Wow, 500 pages!

I remember thinking how incredible it was that we'd reached 300 before the September Direct, and thinking we may have Isaac confirmed by page 400. At this rate, 1,000 before launch isn't just a pipe dream, but realistically I'll say 800. If Isaac gets confirmed, though, all bets are off.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Seriously.
Why the pic emulates the Camelot angle?
Why is in a Colisseum?
Why Rathalos looks like the GS's final boss?
Why are there 3 characters when GS and Smash usually have 4 characters playable?
Why are a spot here for another Nintendo sword fighter who doesn't represent his franchise yet?
Everytime I feel Isaac isn't in Ultimate, I look the Sakurai's tweet to recover hope.
Absolutely agreed. The fact there are 3 and not 4 characters is a DAMN giveaway as it is. I really want to bet the reveal will be something to do with this and Isaac will join in to save the day.

edit: NEVER lose hope. I don't see why people here tend to lose hope so often (not saying you do, but I've seen many others do). There hasn't been a single reason EVER to doubt Isaac, other than falling for other people's pessimism. So guys, DO NOT EVER lose hope if there isn't an actual reason. Stay hyped, stay supportive, we made our voices be heard back in the ballot, we can't show weakness now for no reason.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So, Lucina has been revealed for the blog update. Weird that they didn't show her first. Hmm?
Do they tend to show off character trailers on Tuesday?

Something that occurred to me was the possibility that the change from having a fighter on Monday might point towards a reveal at the end of the week but that's more so optimism talking.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely agreed. The fact there are 3 and not 4 characters is a DAMN giveaway as it is. I really want to bet the reveal will be something to do with this and Isaac will join in to save the day.

edit: NEVER lose hope. I don't see why people here tend to lose hope so often (not saying you do, but I've seen many others do). There hasn't been a single reason EVER to doubt Isaac, other than falling for other people's pessimism. So guys, DO NOT EVER lose hope if there isn't an actual reason. Stay hyped, stay supportive, we made our voices be heard back in the ballot, we can't show weakness now for no reason.
This^
Considering we will know the full roster before the game releases, even if Isaac is not confirmed for base roster we can show our support for a DLC inclusion. Never give up!

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

100% agree, we just gotta remain positive.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I need a picture of Isaac worshipping a Rathalos trophy.

-----------

Anyway, the only other big thing I'm hoping for in Smash Ultimate now is anything to do with Vaati.

Heck, I'd be happy with a standard Vaati trophy at this point.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Oh yeah, since we are on the topic of Sora I would like to point out a major thing since I love movies but there was a massive rumor about a year ago that got even bigger a few months ago. Anyways the rumor is that Mario will appear in the new Wreck it Ralph movie! The rumor got even bigger a few months ago when a usually reliable source claimed Mario and a few other popular Nintendo characters will appear in the movie during a scene based around Mario Kart! The Wreck it Ralph movies are Disney owned which would mean the two parties are very willing to work together so Sora is a very likely possibility.

Bowser appeared in Wreck it Ralph the first movie btw.

I think the concern isn’t about Nintendo letting Disney use their IPs, it’s the opposite, no?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I love this pixel art so **** much. Represents the 4 most important Nintendo franchises with sword-fighters protagonists.
View attachment 166558
Looking at this image (again), I'm left wondering what Link, Marth and Shulk's mono-element Classes would be...

Isaac is obvious:
Squire >
Knight >
Gallant >
Lord >
Slayer.

Shulk's Vision ability means he's a natural
Jupiter Adept, "Seer" is already a dual-elemental class, and Ivan's "Wind Seer" class doesn't suit him (not to mention it's just "Wind User" in the Japanese version). With all this in mind, I'd pull from his games and go for:
Tinkerer >
Mechanic >
Engineer >
Visionary >
God Slayer
(You can also make his Arts into Psynergy)

As for Link...
Link is often tied to the Wind (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, along with all games with the Roc's Cape), so he's a
Jupiter Adept too. I'd make him:
Hy. Knight >
Hy. Warrior >
Hy. Hero >
Chosen>
Master
"Hy." stands for Hyrule/Hylian.
Link would be unique in that he wouldn't necessarily be tied to his element.
Sword Beam >
Skyward Strike
Jump Attack >
Jump Strike
Spin Attack >
Hurricane Spin Attack >
Great Spin Attack
Shield Bash
Helm Splitter >
Skull Splitter
Ending Blow >
Mortal Draw
Bomb >
Timer Bomb >
Giant Bomb
Water Bomb
Boomerang >
Gale Boomerang >
Magic Boomerang
Arrow >
Light Arrow
Fire Arrow
Ice Arrow
Hookshot >
Clawshot >
Longshot
Din's Fire
Farore's Wind
Nayru's Love
Mipha's Grace
Daruk's Protection
Revali's Gale
Urbosa's Fury
Triforce Slash
Finally, Marth...
Marth doesn't really show any Elemental Connection, you can only really make him a
Mars Adept based on the pun. I suppose it'll have to do.
Lordling >
Great Lord >
Star Lord (Lodestar) >
Legend >
Hero King

I had to get creative with a couple, to make up the 5 classes needed. *shrug*

I put way too much thought into this...

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I need a picture of Isaac worshipping a Rathalos trophy.

-----------

Anyway, the only other big thing I'm hoping for in Smash Ultimate now is anything to do with Vaati.

Heck, I'd be happy with a standard Vaati trophy at this point.
Honestly, Vaati has such an interesting moveset he could bring. A wind mage, nobody in the game has a moveset based around wind. And he could easily borrow assests from Toon Link's model to save time on making a model.

It always gets me a bit peeved to see an original character with an original moveset not being utilized.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I thought that was confirmed? At the very least, I remember reading about how Mario was planned to appear in the original (the reason he didn’t is they wanted to write him in a way that he’d be a big deal and they couldn’t find where), and the director said they would definitely put him in a hypothetical sequel.
It might be confirmed, I never paid close attention to it I just know it was a thing.

Bowser appeared in Wreck it Ralph the first movie btw.

I think the concern isn’t about Nintendo letting Disney use their IPs, it’s the opposite, no?
For what reason would it not be the other way around though? Sora doesn’t affect their movies. If they care enough to highlight Nintendo in their movies then I’m sure they would care enough to allow Sora in Smash.

Considering this is our Golden Boy’s thread, I’ll drop the Sora topic unless someone has anything else to add.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I noticed we got the Moon assist trophy on the blog today instead of a fighter like usual.

Does anyone know what blog number it is? (is it the blog post that was planned for today, it's not some random number is it?)
Assuming the numbers are still something to go by, Ganondorf should not have been last Wednesday (at 144 he should have been Monday), putting Pikachu (150 on Wednesday and The Moon on Thursday.
Do they tend to show off character trailers on Tuesday?

Something that occurred to me was the possibility that the change from having a fighter on Monday might point towards a reveal at the end of the week but that's more so optimism talking.
Tuesday (well for me it's Monday evening) has no consistency really. It's either a fighter or an item. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday (Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday in NA) typically are either fighters or items, with no real consistency one way or the other.

Until the Moon, Monday (Sunday evening in NA) has always been a fighter.

A Wednesday or Thursday Smash Direct, while unlikely, could technically happen. I'd still bet on next week though.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Assuming the numbers are still something to go by, Ganondorf should not have been last Wednesday (at 144 he should have been Monday), putting Pikachu (150 on Wednesday and The Moon on Thursday.
Tuesday (well for me it's Monday evening) has no consistency really. It's either a fighter or an item. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday (Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday in NA) typically are either fighters or items, with no real consistency one way or the other.
For a bit there I thought you were stating that each region has something different on Ultimate's website, boy would that be something to keep track of.

A Wednesday or Thursday Smash Direct, while unlikely, could technically happen. I'd still bet on next week though.
October seems to be the time to have a Smash direct; however, it would be far more likely for this week to provide a Direct Date for the upcoming month (for the ones wondering if September will still have something to tell).

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to get my hopes up for getting an announcement date considering the Nintendo direct's one was just dropped the day before it happened. Twice

Confirmation

Smash Ace
How much of a heads up did we get for 8/8 again? It'll probably be the same time between the announcement and the video

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
and for the people who dont think official screenshots forshadow newcomers let me introduce you to these

Posted pretty much right after that fake palutena leak

obvious bayonetta forshadowing

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I think people put a bit too much stock into the argument that X character would have "an interesting moveset" when arguing for likelihood as if that was something that Sakurai considered. I mean, I'm sure it's one factor out of many, but we've seen time and again that he can easily create a moveset out of whole cloth for any kind of character, so the only thing that matters is whether Sakurai wants them in the game. Factors like popularity, relevancy, connection to Nintendo, and ultimately Sakurai's desire to see the character in-game are probably bigger considerations. If somebody like Waddle Dee gets in, it won't be because "the game doesn't have any real spear users."

If he cared so much about movesets, we wouldn't have 6 sword users from Fire Emblem, a series that revolves around the weapon triangle. I understand the "no more anime swordsmen" crowd, but at the end of the day their whining has no impact anyway and I doubt that was ever a reason for keeping Isaac out of Smash. With the momentum Isaac has based on (above all else) the ballot, and now recently the tweet and the Corocoro 108 stages reveal, I can't help but feel his chances are pretty good.

Moveset potential is obviously a good way to convince naysayers that X character could be interesting, but it doesn't tie into their likelihood at all imo.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Whoa whoa, where’s all this ‘Smash Direct next week’ talk coming from? You know something we don’t?

Hmm, I think people put a bit too much stock into the argument that X character would have "an interesting moveset" when arguing for likelihood as if that was something that Sakurai considered. I mean, I'm sure it's one factor out of many, but we've seen time and again that he can easily create a moveset out of whole cloth for any kind of character, so the only thing that matters is whether Sakurai wants them in the game. Factors like popularity, relevancy, connection to Nintendo, and ultimately Sakurai's desire to see the character in-game are probably bigger considerations. If somebody like Waddle Dee gets in, it won't be because "the game doesn't have any real spear users."

If he cared so much about movesets, we wouldn't have 6 sword users from Fire Emblem, a series that revolves around the weapon triangle. I understand the "no more anime swordsmen" crowd, but at the end of the day their whining has no impact anyway and I doubt that was ever a reason for keeping Isaac out of Smash. With the momentum Isaac has based on (above all else) the ballot, and now recently the tweet and the Corocoro 108 stages reveal, I can't help but feel his chances are pretty good.

Moveset potential is obviously a good way to convince naysayers that X character could be interesting, but it doesn't tie into their likelihood at all imo.
I think his days of coming up with movesets from whole cloth are over (bar retros).

With newcomers nowadays, if he can’t see a moveset, he won’t try to make one. That’s how we end up with Sm4sh’s ****ty, all newcomers have a gimmick roster.

(Then again, Ridley and Isabelle appear to contradict me, let’s hope we can keep seeing his trademark creativity. Skull Kid, Chorus Kids and B. Dee’s specials depend on it)

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
If I remember correctly, the 8/8 Smash Direct was announced 3 days before that , right?

So typically if they want to show another one, they'll announce it pretty close to airing it, I suppose.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Most of the info dumps so far have happened on the first or second weeks of the month, so I would count on getting some new official info before October 15. As to whether that's another full Direct or just a character trailer or something, it's hard to say. Probably just an Incineroar trailer or something with our luck :(

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So what is exactly is a Golden Sun? Does anything in the series give it's name to the title or is just something they thought would sound nice? *coughEarthboundCough*

Has it got the same name in Japanese?

Kalaam

Smash Ace
So what is exactly is a Golden Sun? Does anything in the series give it's name to the title or is just something they thought would sound nice? *coughEarthboundCough*

The Golden Sun is basically the result of all Elemental Lighthouses being lit, an amalgamation of the power of the four elements in a single spot. It radiates psynergy (magic) accross the world, and from it can be created the Philosophical Stone.

Last edited:

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet

The Golden Sun is the release of the power of Alchemy back into Weyard. In other words, lighting the 4 elemental lighthouses, and their power converging into a golden light.
EDIT: it's japanese name is 黄金の太陽 , which does translate to Golden sun.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hot take: I am 100% confident that if there really is 108 stages and not 103 then Isaac is in. Why? Because, aside from keeping the new series a secret why else would they keep a stage a secret? Why wait so long to show off a stage that isn't tied to a character? The only outcome I can think of is if series without fighters get a stage like maybe Minecraft. But even then, why hide them for so long? I mean I understand Minecraft but if the rest is from games like Wonderful 101 or ARMS or Xenoblade 2 why wouldn't they go ahead and show them if they don't also have a character.

Weirdly enough I think Isaac's chances have all hinged on that damn 103 since August. It's going to be a hell of a ride from here on to see if that number really is 103, or if it's actually 108.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
NintenRob NintenRob Considering the Golden Sun is a major plot element I’m gonna put it in Spoilers. View at your own risk.
The Golden Sun is an event that takes place when the 4 elemental lighthouses are lit. This event then releases the power of Alchemy back into the world of Weyard.

Alchemy is a magnificent power that brought prosperity and knowledge to mankind, but man abused this power and nearly brought about the distraction of the human race. So the ancients of Weyard devised a plan to lock away this power. Unfortunately Weyard needs the power of Alchemy to “live”, as it were. Without it the edges of the world slowly crumble. Yes, Weyard is a flat world. So our entrepid heroes light all lighthouses to save the world. The 4 beacon’s lights collide above a mountain creating a brilliant ball of light known as the Golden Sun.

Post GS 1+2 pre Dark Dawn the Golden Sun event causes a shift in the world, not only restoring areas that had been lost to the void, but also reshaping the land and creating new life forms. However there is still not much known about the after effects of the event. The area where the event happened, is hard to traverse with it special equipment and certain natural disasters called Psyergy Vortexes and the much more dangerous Mourning Moons have started popping up draining the life force form anything unfortunate enough to get close.

The Mourning Moons are likely the entire reason Alchemy was sealed in the first place. Unfortunately, since Dark Dawn never continued with a sequel, we’re still left in the dark.

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Ahmm...

https://twitter.com/KevDoy/status/1044461585824006145?s=20

Golden sun trademark related info maybe?... Please no, I want new games... Not just the old ones in VC...

Maybe it's just a placeholder, "just in case".
Even just bringing the golden sun games to switch, possibly for free with the internet service (imagine being able to play classic snes, gb, gbc, gba etc. games just by having a switch online.) would be a great thing for the series, especially if Isaac makes it into smash.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
it would be far more likely for this week to provide a Direct Date for the upcoming month
Directs are usually announced merely a day in advance. The August Smash Direct is a special exception due to the circumstances of when it was announced. I would still expect a new Smash Direct to be announced a day in advance.

I don't want to get my hopes up for getting an announcement date considering the Nintendo direct's one was just dropped the day before it happened. Twice
This.

Whoa whoa, where’s all this ‘Smash Direct next week’ talk coming from? You know something we don’t?
So wait there's a direct coming? someone please fill me in
As far as I know, no, there's not (necessarily) a Direct coming, it's mostly just people predicting one in the near future.

Unless JaidynReiman JaidynReiman knows something we don't.
I know absolutely nothing. I don't think a Direct will happen this week. I even stated that in my comment. I don't know why everyone suddenly jumped on this when I clearly said:
A Wednesday or Thursday Smash Direct, while unlikely, could technically happen.
I was merely replying to THIS comment:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
JaidynReiman JaidynReiman don't try to hide it, you KNOW something we don't know.

Where are your sources? Do you know Vergeben, or maybe you are Vergeben? Is Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark an echo or not?

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
At first I was expecting a Smash direct on the 26th because Nintendo has had a presence at TGS so I assumed they would announce it there. I’m not so confident it that now.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Ahmm...

https://twitter.com/KevDoy/status/1044461585824006145?s=20

Golden sun trademark related info maybe?... Please no, I want new games... Not just the old ones in VC...

Maybe it's just a placeholder, "just in case".
Turns out that this JSON isn't specifically to the Switch

https://www.nintendo.com/json/content/get/filter/game?system=ds&sort=title&direction=asc

so I'm unsure if we can draw any meaningful conclusions from it considering these categories are for the DS as well lol.

KMDP

Smash Legend
At first I was expecting a Smash direct on the 26th because Nintendo has had a presence at TGS so I assumed they would announce it there. I’m not so confident it that now.
Nintendo seems to prefer releasing Directs on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so they might announce a Direct on the 26th, but it would more likely be on the 27th.

That being said, I can moreso see a Direct on the 3rd/5th or 10th/12th of October than this week.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo seems to prefer releasing Directs on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so they might announce a Direct on the 26th, but it would more likely be on the 27th.

That being said, I can moreso see a Direct on the 3rd/5th or 10th/12th of October than this week.
The last Smash direct was on a Wednesday though.
Edit: The only true strange day for a direct is Monday.

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Would you guys wager 1, 2 or 3 directs before the game releases?
For instance 3 directs being early Oct, early Nov and early Dec right before release.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Would you guys wager 1, 2 or 3 directs before the game releases?
For instance 3 directs being early Oct, early Nov and early Dec right before release.
I can see any of the three happening, though I'd lean more towards 2.

Having a Character reveal on, like, the 4th-6th December would play all sorts of havoc with the marketing. :laugh:

Top Bottom