• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Chuggaaconroy is one of the oldest Let's Players (not physically old, he's just been around a long time, I think he's around my age).

I'm pretty sure he's one of the last Let's Players to still do things the old way (i.e. playing a game you're intimately familiar with and not playing it blind).
Sorta makes me wonder where I fit into that archetype, 9 years of mostly blind play. :p

Edit: On the note of that, I don't tend to like talking about my own stuff cause I think it makes me look bad, but ah well. :p

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't tend to watch Let's Plays, but I will if he does Golden Sun.

EDIT: That password theme gives me PTSD, but at least trying to figure out where you made the typo on your seven page password had an epic soundtrack.
Dying on the inside never sounded so epic before!

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Congrats on surpassing the SSB4 thread y'all! Now we can finally start doing what we've wanted to all along: ask for Isaac to be playable in Smash Ultimate!

...wait a second...

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't tend to watch Let's Plays, but I will if he does Golden Sun.

EDIT: That password theme gives me PTSD, but at least trying to figure out where you made the typo on your seven page password had an epic soundtrack.
I had to fill in the password two and a half times for my No Djinn Swap playthrough.

Two and a half because:

the first time I got halfway through, accidentally spammed the backspace button and mistook the "Space" button for an actual space button (i.e. it would delete the character it's on, so backspaced all the way to that start hoping it would loop around). Yeah, not my shining moment
the second time I made a typo which I could not, for the live of me, find.
the third time was the charm.
Sorta makes me wonder where I fit into that archetype, 9 years of mostly blind play. :p

Edit: On the note of that, I don't tend to like talking about my own stuff cause I think it makes me look bad, but ah well. :p
Hmm... who knows.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Congrats on surpassing the SSB4 thread y'all! Now we can finally start doing what we've wanted to all along: ask for Isaac to be playable in Smash Ultimate!

...wait a second...
Speaking of which, how big were K. Rool and Ridley's threads before their confirmation?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Everyone Chuggaconroy is looking for a classic RPG to play and it most likely could be Golden Sun since that's the most liked reply to his tweet. EVERYONE LIKE THIS TWEET!!!
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Chugga makes a game popular he's made games I've hated and turned them into games I actually enjoy he changed my opinion on Pokemon Black and White so that man can do anything if anything he brings out the fun in a game no matter what he's a great loveable goof

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I deleted my twitter a while ago, but all y'all with Twitter accounts, PLEASE go make your case to Chuggaconroy why he should make Golden Sun his next LP. It'll get tens of thousands of views minimum. This is as important--if not more so-- than voting in the ballot in 2015.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
What is the hypothetical roster size for you?

But popularity does not matter here, only franchises with relevancy. The other question is why does Rosalina get cut but Waluigi gets added? What does Peach and Bowser add to the roster that Mario doesnt fulfill already?

Ike is the symbolism of when Fire Emblem itself start failing as a Franchise. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn marked when the series started stagnating in sales. Or does that not apply here?

What exactly do you mean by "rebuilding the franchise" and what is the roster cap size?

So if what I am understanding is correct, this would be the final roster:
Heh, I'm talking about the series likely going into a reboot and the roster getting a cleansing and down sizing. I can't give a definite answer as it depends on how bold they start out with. But quite a few people were even questioning whether this game (before Everyone is Here) would do some massive cuts due to the roster size. Now we're at what appears to advertised as the peak of Smash Bros, so a down scaling feels very possible afterwards.

With this mindset, it made me start doubting many options as they may not hold up in the long run and end up just hurting feelings in the end. Ridley, King K Rool, and Isabelle were all very popular adds that are coming from series that are still healthy and thriving. I'm not sure if Sakurai will touch Sin & Punishment as an example no matter how much he teased Saki could make an amazing fighter simply cause a down sizing would likely boot him out.

3rd parties are even riskier to predict as you have both Nintendo's and the 3rd party's input as well. Microsoft would be more likely to crave Mindcraft getting more spotlight to sell more, but Sakurai may want Banjo for the fans wanting him. And with reducing the roster, it also depends on how much they want to go forward as a Nintendo fighting game or if they want to broaden it even more to a crossover game.

To put it out there in theory, the Mario cast would be first reduced by :ultdaisy::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr: with the core four remaining in terms of verterans. :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:

Nobody compares to their level of iconic power for Nintendo.

And then depending on how much space allows and what new IPs or existing IPs grow, the Super Mario series would probably be a front runner for a newcomer. Toad is one of Nintendo's biggest icons and a reworked Peach may not need him. Waluigi has huge popularity with casuals... so they may throw the fans him instead. If it was a fair world, Toad would get in first. But it isn't.

The final roster you posted is purely throwing words in my mouth. I'd rather not sit and go through the roster full tilt right now and deduce the full reboot roster. It'd be far off anyways, but my biggest wonder is how much it will effect who and which newcomers we get now. Does he risk adding Captain Toad who may fade away soon/go back to normal Toad or why add Krystal when the series is flopping and may be dead by the time Smash 6 would be made resulting in the series not really qualifying for 4 characters? Meanwhile Metroid/Ridley and DK/King K Rool and AC/Isabelle are safe bets to still be floating down the road. Well King K Rool may not be himself, but the DK series will likely still be alive and well.

I feel Isaac would need the additional push of being revived to help him out. And it's quite possible he may get the Pit treatment (hopefully better) and become a hard hitter. But at the moment, I'm starting to ponder if he's avoiding any off the grid picks this time around as we haven't seen any retros or console reps like Duck Hunt or Wii Fit.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
Yeah well after finally catching up my hopes are wavering right now. STEVE?! The only thing I can think of as to why is a business deal and hopefully that's the ONLY reason. I'm really starting waver on base now. If anyone could just give us something to not hit me into anxiety mode that'd be great. :scared::urg: I know a lot of you here remain hopeful but I don't know.. no real credible leakers are throwing us a bone now are they?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Steve isn't even a "popular character". Minecraft itself is popular. Nobody gives a **** about Steve because most people can't see him anyway, and I'm sure many people who play Minecraft don't even bother keeping Steve as the default skin regardless. Or they just don't care in general.
This is something that bothers me about people saying Steve would be the playable rep to promote Minecraft.

Whenever I go to Gamestop I don't see plushies of Steve, I see plushies of the Creeper....I see plushies of pigs or sheep.

Minecraft farm animals have more marketability than Steve does.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah well after finally catching up my hopes are wavering right now. STEVE?! The only thing I can think of as to why is a business deal and hopefully that's the ONLY reason. I'm really starting waver on base now. If anyone could just give us something to not hit me into anxiety mode that'd be great. :scared::urg: I know a lot of you here remain hopeful but I don't know.. no real credible leakers are throwing us a bone now are they?
No real credible leakers are throwing stuff against us. The only reason for the current panic is Vergeben backing another leaker saying Steve is in, but Vergeben isn’t really the most credible at this point.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Well, we have the October 8 leak, we just have to wait to see if it is true! I would think if we get a date confirmation either on TGS or next week, that leak would gain a lot of credibility.
There is also the chance Isaac is like K. Rool, a secret Sakurai has been trying to keep as protected as possible because it can be a VERY hyping announcement for the Smash community and they are trying to not get that spoiled? Maybe.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well, we have the October 8 leak, we just have to wait to see if it is true! I would think if we get a date confirmation either on TGS or next week, that leak would gain a lot of credibility.
There is also the chance Isaac is like K. Rool, a secret Sakurai has been trying to keep as protected as possible because it can be a VERY hyping announcement for the Smash community and they are trying to not get that spoiled? Maybe.
I believe that, but how did Geno get out to this Prima/Smashboards leaker, then? Don't get me wrong, that reeks of rotten fakery, but I think both Isaac and Geno would fall into that Ridley/K. Rool camp of being heavily concealed. I feel like if somebody dug deep enough to discover one, they could probably discover the other.

That's one thing that makes me suspicious of Verge (aside from his wishy-washy nature). even if his current claims are more than likely incomplete.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I believe that, but how did Geno get out to this Prima/Smashboards leaker, then? Don't get me wrong, that reeks of rotten fakery, but I think both Isaac and Geno would fall into that Ridley/K. Rool camp of being heavily concealed. I feel like if somebody dug deep enough to discover one, they could probably discover the other.

That's one thing that makes me suspicious of Verge (aside from his wishy-washy nature). even if his current claims are more than likely incomplete.
Occam’s Razor. If the leaker is fake, then the problem is solved. Geno didn’t get out because he was just a (good) guess. Isaac didn’t not get out because the ‘leaker’ has no insider info to begin with.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Occam’s Razor. If the leaker is fake, then the problem is solved. Geno didn’t get out because he was just a (good) guess. Isaac didn’t not get out because the ‘leaker’ has no insider info to begin with.
Oh, I don't believe this is real at all, especially since all it really has going for it is the claim of a new timely Prima issue, which isn't hard to guess at all. I'm just responding to Gioka's thought that if the leak were valid, Isaac is just being kept under wraps. Geno should definitely be in the same situation there since they're in similar boats and have that same passionate following.

Of course, it's not impossible for one of them to be missed if they are so tightly guarded. I'd just be wary to see Geno there but not Isaac.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. Isaac has honestly been the only one that I've wanted since I really got into Smash. Am I one of the only ones like that? It's really all I ask for. Anything else is just icing (cept I can't help but dislike Steve, sorry I do NOT like Minecraft, just not for me and I happen to dislike the fanbase even if it died down somewhat).
Edit: I'm just sorry for disliking that idea so much. I just do not see it fitting in smash. I just. Don't. Plain and simple. He'll easily be my least played character (and probably even never played once willingly). Sorry. But I can't with this one. This is where my line starts getting drawn.

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

Oh, I don't believe this is real at all, especially since all it really has going for it is the claim of a new timely Prima issue, which isn't hard to guess at all. I'm just responding to Gioka's thought that if the leak were valid, Isaac is just being kept under wraps. Geno should definitely be in the same situation there since they're in similar boats and have that same passionate following.

Of course, it's not impossible for one of them to be missed if they are so tightly guarded. I'd just be wary to see Geno there but not Isaac.
I agree to this of course, leaking Geno would be as bad for Sakurai as Isaac in case they are both in (which I believe they are) buut we did have some "leakers" Claim Ridley and miss K. Rool. It is hard to know with the information we currently have if they do/did have insider info or all were just wishful/lucky guesses, though I believe the latter since a lot of those leakers never appeared again or got anything right again

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
If Isaac really is kept under wraps (and Geno) then they must be doing a pretty dang good job at it. Kind of like what happened to Cloud how NO ONE leaked him. Which is very dang impressive. Absolutely no one saw it coming. At least not that I'm aware of. Even though we hope for his inclusion and feel it in our gut he's in, Isaac's reveal is going to be incredible regardless.

Edit: Nossnitro102 Nossnitro102 , despite wanting other characters after Isaac to get in like Simon(IN), Shadow(???), K. Rool(IN), and Sora(???), Isaac has truly been the ONLY character I've wanted after Sonic was announced in Brawl. If I got Isaac and my other 4 wanted characters didn't make it, I would be ok with that. So, no, you're not the only one. Stay strong, dude! It's not over yet. Just have to survive one or two more Smash Directs.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Ack, sorry, I completely misunderstood your post.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ugh. Isaac has honestly been the only one that I've wanted since I really got into Smash. Am I one of the only ones like that? It's really all I ask for.
Well, I suppose technically I'm in the same boat.

My want for Isaac really kicked into high gear when I discovered the Isaac for Smash 4 thread (I had been into Smash before then, but finding Smashboards, Gamexplain and Source Gaming made my love of the series stronger).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is something that bothers me about people saying Steve would be the playable rep to promote Minecraft.

Whenever I go to Gamestop I don't see plushies of Steve, I see plushies of the Creeper....I see plushies of pigs or sheep.

The enemies are far more recognizable. A Minecraft stage, even just a Creeper AT is the perfect representation for Minecraft.

If Isaac really is kept under wraps (and Geno) then they must be doing a pretty dang good job at it. Kind of like what happened to Cloud how NO ONE leaked him. Which is very dang impressive. Absolutely no one saw it coming. At least not that I'm aware of. Even though we hope for his inclusion and feel it in our gut he's in, Isaac's reveal is going to be incredible regardless.
No one with any credibility leaked K. Rool either. Keep that in mind. Vergeben was digging for any information he could find on K. Rool and couldn't get anything. Loz had jack **** after E3, he just lucky guessed an "August Direct".

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. Isaac has honestly been the only one that I've wanted since I really got into Smash. Am I one of the only ones like that? It's really all I ask for. Anything else is just icing (cept I can't help but dislike Steve, sorry I do NOT like Minecraft, just not for me and I happen to dislike the fanbase even if it died down somewhat).
Edit: I'm just sorry for disliking that idea so much. I just do not see it fitting in smash. I just. Don't. Plain and simple. He'll easily be my least played character (and probably even never played once willingly). Sorry. But I can't with this one. This is where my line starts getting drawn.
It is too early to worry about that, we still don't have any kind of confirmation to that information (nor to the leak nor the leaker) so it is better to wait. Tbh I don't belive Steve being in, granted Minecraft is big for Microsoft and all but a stage would represent that specific franchise much better than a character (specially since Steve is really bland). I just don't buy Sakurai getting Steve in without Banjo Kazooie making it in first (specially since they are the most wanted third party along with Geno) and at the same time I don't think Microsoft could get two reps announced at the same time so there is really not a lot of reason for it to be Steve.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Don't lose hope yet my dude! There is plenty about the game still hidden and Isaac still may yet have avoided the ears of the leakers while still hiding underneath the surface. No giving up till the end! actually not even after the end!

This game is quite clearly a love letter to the fans. and you guys have been in this for a long haul! this game has already proven to grant wishes and I believe your dreams can come true. Isaac is an awesome character that 100% deserves to be in smash!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
It is too early to worry about that, we still don't have any kind of confirmation to that information (nor to the leak nor the leaker) so it is better to wait. Tbh I don't belive Steve being in, granted Minecraft is big for Microsoft and all but a stage would represent that specific franchise much better than a character (specially since Steve is really bland). I just don't buy Sakurai getting Steve in without Banjo Kazooie making it in first (specially since they are the most wanted third party along with Geno) and at the same time I don't think Microsoft could get two reps announced at the same time so there is really not a lot of reason for it to be Steve.
Everyone should keep in mind that Sakurai went for Mega Man before Ryu and that he went to Square specifically for Cloud and no other Final Fantasy character. He wants to really make the fans of Smash and Nintendo happy when it comes to these third party decisions. Sure, we know that Minecraft is an iconic game, but in the context of the ballot, Banjo & Kazooie should come first without question.

Microsoft may beg to differ, but when Sakurai talks about having to twist arms to get every veteran back, he'd also likely fight tooth and nail for Banjo to the best of his ability. It's hard to see him settling for and spending the dev time on somebody (Steve) that he didn't initially set out for. Even if he could snag Banjo for DLC by doing it, he always comes in with a set plan for the base content of Smash.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
I didn't get into fire emblem until I emulated Roy's game and got it translated so I could understand it (I also got quite few other games and bought awakening and borrowed the Tellius games from people) I almost beat it and the computer I was using got fried from a leaky roof so I lost a ton of FE stuff on it. And that was just a fraction of what I had on it. I played Smash since 64. Wasn't that big into Melee but I mostly played Young Link and Marth in that. In Brawl it was Toon Link and Marth. Smash 4 it was pretty much exclusively Marth. I had at least played several FE games even if I hadn't beaten them all.

I played Golden Sun somewhere along that line around Brawl era and was surprised at how good it was for a GBA game and was shocked that not many people knew about it where I lived.
How I got GS was more or less like this: There was only like one other guy I knew locally who happened to play both games and would sometimes watch him play it.
I'm sure you know what happened after that. :p And that's around the time I started wanting him in Smash (but at the time knew that he was far from likely).
Sorry for the text wall. I don't know why I just started ranting. Also having a little text problem.
Edit: Yeah. Insert button was somehow pushed.

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I would HATE if Steve is really in.... There would be A LOT of fans dissapointed if Sakurai adds Steve and not Isaac, Geno or Banjo for example.

I'll only be fine with him being in if at least Sakurai adds also the most beloved by fans....

But I'm really worried knowing Minecraft is really HUGE around the world, including Japan...
And having characters in order to please fans is a thing but there's also business... a colab with Minecraft would be pretty interesting for Sakurai...

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

To add to this I'm not sure if my experience is similar to others but I didn't even know who Steve was until after I had finished playing Minecraft.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Kinda naive to suggest some characters are kept under lock and key more than others. There's no real pattern as to which characters get leaked and which don't. Apart from echoes, I guess.

Also to those suggesting a Ridley/K. Rool level of security... have you already forgotten how extensively Ridley leaked?

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
To add to this I'm not sure if my experience is similar to others but I didn't even know who Steve was until after I had finished playing Minecraft.
I didn't even know who Steve was period so you're at least more knowledgeable in that aspect. There are still quite a few games I haven't played. Circumstances and the like not allowing me access to online during parts of my childhood and such isn't helpful in that regard and kinda being overshadowed by an older sibling compounds that.
Kinda naive to suggest some characters are kept under lock and key more than others. There's no real pattern as to which characters get leaked and which don't. Apart from echoes, I guess.

Also to those suggesting a Ridley/K. Rool level of security... have you already forgotten how extensively Ridley leaked?
See that's why I'm worried here...

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Honestly, I don't hate the idea of Steve in the game (Mostly for lol with my friends).
If a Microsoft rep is going to be in, I feel that Banjo and Kazooie are more likely due to
fans demand. Steve fanbase isn't large compare to Banjo's and Sakurai has mentioned
in the past that he considered Banjo for Melee at the time.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
By the way, if he's in....how will he move? I mean, he'll move like in his game (as bad as it looks) or they will add "elbows" and "knees" to the character like those rancid youtube fan videos / Minecraft Story mode....

I think it would look awful in any case

Last edited:

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
By the way, if he's in....how will he move? I mean, he'll move like in his game (as bad as it looks) or they will add "elbows" and "knees" to the character like those rancid youtube fan videos / Minecraft Story mode....

I think it would look awful in any case
I feel the same way about it. But maybe it would be something kinda like...Game and Watch? I think he moves pretty oddly but he still has personality and character with his moveset and animations. And I just don't see that with Steve in the same vein. I don't see him "dancing" so to speak (as if Sakurai was trying to give him a moveset etc).

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace

Wouldn’t that be something. Creeper for Smash. Literally every attack is an explosion that uses up a stock.

Finally surpasssed the old Isaac thread! Wow. I mean I knew it was gonna happen, but it still boggles my mind that there’s so much support for Isaac.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I would be content if they just stuck to possibly a stage or assist trophy or items. Or any combination of the three. But a playable character? I'm sorry, but that just seems like way too big a jump for a series that has little connection with nintendo besides a port.
Essentially every single series that has a fighter has had at least one game start on a nintendo system. (And by all means correct me if I'm wrong here.)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
this prima stuff's got me worried.
Not that it means anything necessarily but I saw someone point out that they missed Inkling in their list.

Though I really can't see Vault Boy getting in over Dovahkin if Bethesda was getting a rep. (I mean we have Skyrim on Switch, not Fallout) I've seen some wacky arguments for it over on Reddit like that Vault Boy fits Smash Bros better, but when we have characters like Snake and Bayonetta we know that's a load of baloney.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I feel like if Steve got into ultimate there will be so much anger it'll rival the outrage of Waluigi not being playable (still happy about that too this day)

Top Bottom