• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Polls on the internet barely mean anything anyway. Even the official Nintendo ballot, many people admitted voting multiple times and asked friends / family to vote.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Polls on the internet barely mean anything anyway. Even the official Nintendo ballot, many people admitted voting multiple times and asked friends / family to vote.
And probably paying for votes too.

Not that I'm saying that paying for votes isn't any less unethical, but I seriously doubt these polls are even accurate if people have those tools at their disposal.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Thanks for that. Hmm..I wouldn't look too much into this. The results for the polls so far aren't anything we don't already know.

Banjo is insanely popular
Isaac and Bandana Dee are pretty much equally desired
Doomguy is more popular than Elma (well yeh. DOOM vs Xenoblade X? It was no contest)

I wouldn't worry about this as it is basically luck of the dice who wins a poll. Sometimes it's Isaac. Another day it's Bandana Dee.

Considering Banjo, Isaac and Bandana Dee are high up in the fandom here at Smashboards I would take that as a census rather than a poll like that any day. The proof is in the fandoms.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
So are we just gonna wait until noon for a new poll or...?
What I think will happen is that there's not gonna do a repoll, and just go with these **inaccurate** numbers.

I'm pissed as all hell they'll continue on and let this whole poll be a ****ing waste of time, but at this point, my ******** won't do anything.

Lucanic

Smash Rookie
There is something which has been since the Smash Ballot on my mind.
I am sure Isaac got alot of votes but I see so many people spell his name wrong like "Issac". I am afraid that they casted their vote on the Ballot with the name "Issac" instead of Isaac. So technically we lost some votes...
I have the feeling that the people at Nintendo didn't read the casted votes but they let a computer count out every single vote and compare the name and the series that they are from.
I know that the support for Isaac in big, i really want him in smash too but I only hope that every vote for Isaac and those who misspelled his name wrong are taken in and none got lost.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I am sure Isaac got alot of votes but I see so many people spell his name wrong like "Issac". I am afraid that they casted their vote on the Ballot with the name "Issac" instead of Isaac. So technically we lost some votes...
I have the feeling that the people at Nintendo didn't read the casted votes but they let a computer count out every single vote and compare the name and the series that they are from.
I know that the support for Isaac in big, i really want him in smash too but I only hope that every vote for Isaac and those who misspelled his name wrong are taken in and none got lost.
I wouldn't worry about that. That is the sort of thing that can be coded to look out for. Plus I think the sheer number of votes for Issac they would realize it was meant for Isaac.

Nintendo aren't fools. They will pick up on things like this

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Well his name changes between languages if that helps. Robin in Japanese, Vlad in Fench (best name), and Hans in Spanish

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that you were supposed to write the name of the game series your requested character was from in the ballot site. Even if someone made a typo it would be clear who they would be voting for to the organizers.
Edit: And even if it was handled by a computer the name "Golden Sun" would still be obvious.

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I was just reading an old /v/ thread from august about the tweet. Yeah many people there don't buy it, at least from that thread. One guy claimed Sakurai tweeted out a lot of "potential hints" after the Monado tweet during smash 4. I'm not sure if that's true, is it? They also compared it to a load of other RPGs and the only ones that looked similar enough were camelot games and FFX.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I was just reading an old /v/ thread from august about the tweet. Yeah many people there don't buy it, at least from that thread. One guy claimed Sakurai tweeted out a lot of "potential hints" after the Monado tweet during smash 4. I'm not sure if that's true, is it? They also compared it to a load of other RPGs and the only ones that looked similar enough were camelot games and FFX.
FFX? I mean, you have Cloud there. If this was a FF reference....you have him right there.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
FFX? I mean, you have Cloud there. If this was a FF reference....you have him right there.
I think it's about the "golden sun" screenshot that Sakurai tweeted, as the angle of that screenshot is similar to the one in Camelot games and the combat in FFX.

Can you imagine the impact if they show Tidus as playable character (being him the Square Enix character Vergeben talked about), being that angle in that screenshot a hint about FFX?......

Edit: thinking about it a little more, the screenshot is refering GS 100%, there're a lot more things GS related than FFX... the dragon, the arena, the characters and their meaning... I was scared for a second hah

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I think it's about the "golden sun" screenshot that Sakurai tweeted, as the angle of that screenshot is similar to the one in Camelot games and the combat in FFX.

Can you imagine the impact if they show Tidus as playable character (being him the Square Enix character Vergeben talked about), being that angle in that screenshot a hint about FFX?......
I mean, it seems way less likely given how the characters seem more based on Nintendo characters.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Didn't know this whole thing was going on, but I've voted for Isaac. Not that a Reddit poll matters that much, but this vote deduction thing is fishy as heck.

Why is Isaac getting votes removed specifically? Wouldn't a bot have to vote for the other matchups as well? How did they even know a bot was used, and that it was specifically to vote for Isaac?

Ugh.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm going to have to unplug from smash speculation for a while. I'm staying up way too late at night reading this thread and others on reddit and /v/. I'm in my 3rd semester at college and I should prioritize that. I'll probably jump back in when the next direct is announced.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Didn't know this whole thing was going on, but I've voted for Isaac. Not that a Reddit poll matters that much, but this vote deduction thing is fishy as heck.

Why is Isaac getting votes removed specifically? Wouldn't a bot have to vote for the other matchups as well? How did they even know a bot was used, and that it was specifically to vote for Isaac?

Ugh.
IDK. All I know is that this poll at this point just should be discarded. It's a lost cause. Let's talk about something else.

How would you feel if Isaac was a boss instead of a character? (Obviously this is a joke question, but I think it would make for some interesting questions.)

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
4chan is filled to the brim with false-flaggers and thread de-railers as we get closer and closer to Smash release so anything that is said there is going to be shot down. We can take their claims and examine them... for example does Sakurai typically tweet out during a Smash development cycle all willy-nilly? The answer would be a resounding no. I mean, you can look at his twitter feed yourself if you don't believe me, so it's not like it's unsubstantiated in the least.

His typical tweeting history falls under categories. One, if there is a new big fighter reveal, he will retweet it and basically everything about it from the fighter video to the mural update to maybe some of his insight about them. Two, if there is a direct coming or something smash related, he'll tweet about how we should tune in to watch it (sometimes these come with hints too). Three, if there is official Nintendo Smash news not otherwise covered in a direct such as that November smash demo tournament or the smash bundle. Effectively promotional use. Four, if he wants to highlight or draw attention to something he thought was cool in the game or on the site which could include stuff ranging from ATs to items to bosses to characters and stages.

The hinting obviously comes in that last part where he's getting cuter with it each and every time. The first hints from Smash 4 were pretty blunt to now he's almost playing a game with it. Even the man himself has said before in an interview how he doesn't tweet flagrantly because he knows how people will react and overreact to things that he sends out. Sakurai isn't as profuse as other game directors like Kamiya in his social media presence, choosing to only use it for what it is.

I know exactly the threads you were talking about and there was no explanation given on the feedback that some people stated when they showed popular RPGs like Suikoden, Final Fantasy and Breath of Fire. They produced images they believed were good mock-ups of the Rathalos tweet and when an argument was turned back saying that the camera angles were completely off or the RPGs just didn't match-up, there were very weak responses. Most of it is because you can't bull-**** a bull-****ter. Most of us have played those games alongside Golden Sun. I might not be the most clever person, but I'm not blind. There's a reason that picture resonated so loudly because it's not a common way to present the action in RPGs at all. In fact, the only ones that are similar come from the same company and their older games. For whatever reason, nobody else has adopted it and so it's become a very telltale and marquee aspect of the RPGs that they create.

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
The only other RPG that uses a similar camera angle is Shining Force which, surprise surprise, is a Camelot game.

Hence, 'The Camelot Angle'.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
The only other RPG that uses a similar camera angle is Shining Force which, surprise surprise, is a Camelot game.

Hence, 'The Camelot Angle'.
That Sega Mega Drive Classics for the Switch is really tempting me just so I can get more Camelot in my veins (it has Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force 1 and 2 which are all from Camelot)

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
That Sega Mega Drive Classics for the Switch is really tempting me just so I can get more Camelot in my veins (it has Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force 1 and 2 which are all from Camelot)
Unfortunately, Shining Force 3 might not be rereleased again.

Saturn emulation is a *****.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
4chan is filled to the brim with false-flaggers and thread de-railers as we get closer and closer to Smash release so anything that is said there is going to be shot down. We can take their claims and examine them... for example does Sakurai typically tweet out during a Smash development cycle all willy-nilly? The answer would be a resounding no. I mean, you can look at his twitter feed yourself if you don't believe me, so it's not like it's unsubstantiated in the least.

His typical tweeting history falls under categories. One, if there is a new big fighter reveal, he will retweet it and basically everything about it from the fighter video to the mural update to maybe some of his insight about them. Two, if there is a direct coming or something smash related, he'll tweet about how we should tune in to watch it (sometimes these come with hints too). Three, if there is official Nintendo Smash news not otherwise covered in a direct such as that November smash demo tournament or the smash bundle. Effectively promotional use. Four, if he wants to highlight or draw attention to something he thought was cool in the game or on the site which could include stuff ranging from ATs to items to bosses to characters and stages.

The hinting obviously comes in that last part where he's getting cuter with it each and every time. The first hints from Smash 4 were pretty blunt to now he's almost playing a game with it. Even the man himself has said before in an interview how he doesn't tweet flagrantly because he knows how people will react and overreact to things that he sends out. Sakurai isn't as profuse as other game directors like Kamiya in his social media presence, choosing to only use it for what it is.

I know exactly the threads you were talking about and there was no explanation given on the feedback that some people stated when they showed popular RPGs like Suikoden, Final Fantasy and Breath of Fire. They produced images they believed were good mock-ups of the Rathalos tweet and when an argument was turned back saying that the camera angles were completely off or the RPGs just didn't match-up, there were very weak responses. Most of it is because you can't bull-**** a bull-****ter. Most of us have played those games alongside Golden Sun. I might not be the most clever person, but I'm not blind. There's a reason that picture resonated so loudly because it's not a common way to present the action in RPGs at all. In fact, the only ones that are similar come from the same company and their older games. For whatever reason, nobody else has adopted it and so it's become a very telltale and marquee aspect of the RPGs that they create.
Yeah I don't think we have to worry much. There will always be detractors who will say the tweet hints otherwise. The funny part is we've moved past the 'angle' being the only thing of note. And if these detractors had to actually sit down and make a T chart with us. Golden Sun would have way more bullet points lol.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Vergeben might've gotten his "Castlevania Collection" leak just about Half-right.

It supposedly only includes SOTN and ROB.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Stealth did but he and Vergeben stated it would be revealed at E3 which didn't happen

SmashUltimateTourny

Smash Rookie

Ugh.
Can you please read my comments? It seems you completely ignored them.

Last edited:

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
IDK. All I know is that this poll at this point just should be discarded. It's a lost cause. Let's talk about something else.

How would you feel if Isaac was a boss instead of a character? (Obviously this is a joke question, but I think it would make for some interesting questions.)
I posted about that yesterday, I guess you didn't see it. Lol

xNaz

Smash Cadet
wew lad this thread is absolutely massive. I'd be shocked if Isaac wasn't in the game after Nintendo bought back his pretty much dead IP and the parallels in Sakurai's Rathalos tweet

Top Bottom