• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Really? I think Ken will be in, but Incineroar won't. For some reason, I just don't see the Pokemon rep being Gen 7, instead being DLC for Gen 8.
i was just trying to put something out there rather than anything I'd actually see happening. Although Chun Li is the queen of fighting games

Incineroar seems like such an odd choice to me, as Decidueye is a lot more popular and frankly I think he is far better designed.
Am I the only one who thinks leakers are just lucky guessers? Like they miss stuff all the time and everyone still blindly follows them lol.

Or maybe I'm just hoping because if he's right then it'd be a huge letdown?
I honestly believe verg and gematsu are legitimately fed some legit info by Nintendo themselves, but also are not fed all of it, and some of it is purposely inaccurate. It wouldn't take much effort and would make the Smash community start believing in them only to be shocked when some characters are missed (Rosalina and K.Rool) and for some of the "leak"s to be wrong (similar to Chrom and Robin in the Gematsu)

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ah I remember this "leak". It was quite a while ago, someone else said before August Direct above.

We actually discussed this one quite a bit, and it was interesting especially cause of the Chrom being based Roy fact, which did come true.

The main problem with it is Soren being based on Robin as an echo. Soren is decently popular (top 20 in CYL rankings of FEH) but not popular enough to get in over characters like Celica so it stands out as being an unusual point, and unlikely.

To be fair, this leak hasn't been false so far, but the leaker didn't reveal much in the first place besides the safe choices of Simon and K. Rool. It pretty much relies on Soren to be proven right since the other choices are common choices across most leaks.

It has Isaac as a major point, so that's a plus for us though :D
It did also have Chrom as a Roy echo, which was a rough call considering everyone (even Viridi) called him as an Ike echo. That's the only thing that really makes it notable.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
It did also have Chrom as a Roy echo, which was a rough call considering everyone (even Viridi) called him as an Ike echo. That's the only thing that really makes it notable.
Ye I mentioned that in the second line lol. That's the main thing that still makes this leak a bit noteworthy. Till Soren is revealed and it becomes the holiest of all Smash Ultimate leaks xD

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I usually am skeptical of these leaks, but it would be cool if Isaac and Incineroar happened, two characters I genuinely liked. Though I'd MUCH rather have Ken than Shadow.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
sounds way too good to be true except for shantae as an assist
This leak is extremely safe sounding. The biggest problem I have with it is it makes the story mode sound so cliche and predictable. I would hope that the story would not be a carbon copy of subspace with souls instead of trophies. I think that if its true and there are only going to be 8 villains to the original 8 that's kind of cool, but somewhat underwhelming.

Also all of the characters are very predictable, but that's mostly a good thing because people will get their fan favorites. I just kind of hope that they might throw us a curve ball in the story and give something unexpected. I still think they should add the Masked Man, Black Knight, Akuma, and a few other villains as echos or something just to make the hero's vs villains theme a little more epic.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Anyone seen this? https://mobile.twitter.com/MimiqueVEVO/status/1041897030409277440

We benefit the most from conspiracy theories about moved fighters, so thought it was worth mentioning. I really want whoever was going over the blog entries to have a look at this though
For speculation purposes let’s assume Isaac was indeed supposed to be revealed at the beginning of the last direct but got cut out for the obvious reason of being sensitive to the unfortunate victims of the earthquake that recently hit in Japan.

If that’s the case then it makes even more sense for CoroCoro to reveal 108 stages for Smash Ultimate because we would have already seen a new stage for Isaac which means their info would not have been questioned at all but instead it would have been expected!

I think it’s a plausible theory but I haven’t paid much attention to the numbers to know if Isaac, a memory, stage and music would fit anywhere near each other as I assume they would be in order.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
can someone please explain to me the smashdown theory?
Its really just a mathematical theory where people speculate we need multiples of 4 to make the smash down mode work. If the number of characters are an odd number smash down wont work.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This leak is extremely safe sounding. The biggest problem I have with it is it makes the story mode sound so cliche and predictable. I would hope that the story would not be a carbon copy of subspace with souls instead of trophies. I think that if its true and there are only going to be 8 villains to the original 8 that's kind of cool, but somewhat underwhelming.

Also all of the characters are very predictable, but that's mostly a good thing because people will get their fan favorites. I just kind of hope that they might throw us a curve ball in the story and give something unexpected. I still think they should add the Masked Man, Black Knight, Akuma, and a few other villains as echos or something just to make the hero's vs villains theme a little more epic.
It seems odd that all leaks do not bother mentioning the WTF character picks that Sakurai normally puts in each game like: :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:.
Nor do any of the leaks try to predict the retro pick like :ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultduckhunt:.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
It seems odd that all leaks do not bother mentioning the WTF character picks that Sakurai normally puts in each game like: :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:.
Nor do any of the leaks try to predict the retro pick like :ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultduckhunt:.
Most people believe sense Sakurai is pulling from the ballot, we won’t get that type of WTF character. Also...Simon, King K Rool as well as potentially Isaac, Geno and Banjo can count as retro characters.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
Retro picks that we wont see coming are - Que*bert, Lemmings, Dig Dug, Bill or Lance from contra, Billy and Jimmy lee from double dragon, Foreman Spike, Marcoo Rossi from Metal Slug.

And some other characters that we did not expect Haohmaru from Samurai Showdown, Terry Bogard from King of fighters, Duke Nukem, and Earth Worm Jim.

Okay even I know these are ridiculous character choices, but they could be highly unexpected additions.

And this is why leakers play it safe.

(Although I wouldn't be unhappy at all if Haohmaru got in Smash, he's **** cool.)

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
honestly, i know some would say that he isnt a wtf character, but i want Master Chief from halo to be the big surprise character

much better Microsoft representation than Steve that's for sure

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
For speculation purposes let’s assume Isaac was indeed supposed to be revealed at the beginning of the last direct but got cut out for the obvious reason of being sensitive to the unfortunate victims of the earthquake that recently hit in Japan.

If that’s the case then it makes even more sense for CoroCoro to reveal 108 stages for Smash Ultimate because we would have already seen a new stage for Isaac which means their info would not have been questioned at all but instead it would have been expected!

I think it’s a plausible theory but I haven’t paid much attention to the numbers to know if Isaac, a memory, stage and music would fit anywhere near each other as I assume they would be in order.
Not only that but the last direct made no sense in the way it started… a swich game before the 3ds section that actually is before the switch section?… yeah that made no sense. Clearly Luigi's Mansion 3 was the "big thing" replacement for the start of the direct, where there was "something else" clearly to start up the direct strong. There is no other explanation for a switch title being announced alone like that at the start when there is already a specified moment for switch title reveals. I'm seriously believing this blog theory and the corocoro 108 stages thing now. Hopefully we will know about this removed reveal soon enough, since it totally screwed up the order of the blog schedule as it is. Praying now it was Isaac, which makes sense since he is the only newcomer that comes to my mind that could've been removed of a direct that was firstly delayed because of an earthquake. Otherwise we would've gotten whoever's reveal at the start of the direct like it was probably meant to be, instead of just isabelle in the end. Here's crossing fingers this is even better news for Isaac.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
sounds way too good to be true except for shantae as an assist
Gotta keep in mind what others would think about it as well. Lack of Dixie stands out to me. And we all know how many people would bemoan no skull kid.

edit - not trying to imply that I believe it or anything, just that too good to be true for you might look terrible to someone else.

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I hate doing speculation like this, but IF Isaac was supposed to be the first reveal of the direct last time... what if a golden sun game was also supposed to be revealed in the direct? It was a general direct after all.

Again I reiterate I hate making a speculation like this since I like to think the direct was simply delayed a week out of respect.

Edit: On a side note if that's the case, did they change the reveal order so Isabelle would be 68 instead of 69 then?

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon
I have thrown my wishes on the Wtf and the retro character but as stated above, it is hard to know if characters like Simon are being accounted as retro (because he is but he is also third party and usually we get a first party retro). If I were to choose the Wtf character would be someone from the Girl's Mode series because it has been successful as a franchise, it is cute, it would be hilarious and from a developer point of view it would be great to experiment translating that into a moveset (like Wii Fit Trainer) and the retro character would be Lip. Granted, Lip's stick came back as item so I think that deconfirms her so I think Prince of Sable could be too.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I hate doing speculation like this, but IF Isaac was supposed to be the first reveal of the direct last time... what if a golden sun game was also supposed to be revealed in the direct? It was a general direct after all.

Again I reiterate I hate making a speculation like this since I like to think the direct was simply delayed a week out of respect.

Edit: On a side note if that's the case, did they change the reveal order so Isabelle would be 68 instead of 69 then?
I mean it could been something more for golden sun aside from his reveal, yeah. It is also good to remind everyone here that the tradermark for K Rool happened a month before his reveal, so… golden sun had a whole trademark renewed overall a month ago… Here's hoping. It's definitely a possible precedent.

Last edited:

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
I mean it could been something more for golden sun aside from his reveal, yeah. It is also good to remind everyone here that the tradermark for K Rool happened a month before his reveal, so… golden sun had a whole trademark renewed overall a month ago… Here's hoping. It's definitely a possible precedent.
Please just give us a smash direct this week or next Sakarai san. This is driving me crazy. I know Isaacs in, but I need to see him in shiny HD 3D pls.

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Please just give us a smash direct this week or next Sakarai san. This is driving me crazy. I know Isaacs in, but I need to see him in shiny HD 3D pls.
That would be way too soon in my opinion. Even if we do think true the blog /direct theory, I don't think Sakurai, or Nintendo for that Matter, would ever admit it freely because it could potentially go like "yeah we gave you an incomplete direct but said it was the same as it originally was intended, whoops sorry?" so maybe we will get it in October assuming the Smash direct is placed for November

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Could this perhaps explain the discrepancy between the JP and US blogs on Isabelle's trailer post number? I don't know why they would bother if they think no one would notice the post numbers, but the JP blog could've swapped out #134's content which the US blog failed to carry over.

I would imagine that all of the content is privately uploaded to the same server regardless of region, which is why the US blog still counts up memory posts even if they do not show those. That tells me whoever runs the JP blog went in and manually changed #134.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
So just a recap on the Rathalos pic, all the evidence for Isaac we have is as follows:

It directly mirrors the Golden Sun Battle layout.
If it were a reference to Monster Hunter, it'd be more dynamic.
The coliseum in the background is reminiscent of Colloso.
The 3 characters, Link, Marth, and Shulk are organized in order in which they appeared in the series, blocking out a potential 4th "party" member. (newcomer)
Link could represent Isaac as the blonde silent protagonist.
Marth being Mars in japanese, and being from Fire Emblem makes an uncanny reference to Garet.
Shulk is primarily associated with Ivan from reading minds / seeing the future.
Fighting dragons isn't anything new to Isaac.
That kind of pose is rather difficult to replicate without editting.
Sakurai would've likely picked up on the likeness, and not have posted it if it wasn't a tease to Isaac.
Assist Trophies are lined across the right hand side, hinting further about a newcomer that used to be an Assist.
All 3 characters are from different types of jRPGs, with the main type of jRPG missing is a turn-based jRPG.

Motoi Sakuraba, composer of Golden Sun's and several other series' soundtracks, is a confirmed composer for Ultimate, however, his work has yet to appear in the weekly blog.

Other than that i think it's just we haven't seen an Isaac AT, and he's been highly requested for several years. Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Gotta keep in mind what others would think about it as well. Lack of Dixie stands out to me. And we all know how many people would bemoan no skull kid.

edit - not trying to imply that I believe it or anything, just that too good to be true for you might look terrible to someone else.
well i mean, i did mention shantae as an assist, that's just a bummer for me

KingTorra

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I honestly can say that ive never played Golden Sun, nor do i have any history with his series or even know his character. My own most wanted is Incineroar, and i doubt that'll change, but even without my knowledge of Isaac, he's by far my 2nd most wanted. When i read this thread and hear his fans, the passion for the character and the promise i see for his fun sounding moveset is more than enough to convince me he deserves a spot! So if there's a support group, i'd gladly join it, and best luck to you all to get your character!

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I honestly can say that ive never played Golden Sun, nor do i have any history with his series or even know his character. My own most wanted is Incineroar, and i doubt that'll change, but even without my knowledge of Isaac, he's by far my 2nd most wanted. When i read this thread and hear his fans, the passion for the character and the promise i see for his fun sounding moveset is more than enough to convince me he deserves a spot! So if there's a support group, i'd gladly join it, and best luck to you all to get your character!
it really is encouraging when those who don't really know Isaac still come and show support for him. Maybe try out one of his games some time. And with that, the best of luck to you as well.

Machete

Smash Ace
Yeah I’ve not played Golden Sun either, but I still support Isaac because, like, all my friends who owned a GBA did. Even the non hardcore. I was surprised.

I find it fun how /v/ craps all over Isaac now in the same vein that they did over Ridley and K.Rool. He truly is on the same boat. Although ResetEra’s toxic, mean spirited passive aggresiveness over him annoys me much more.

So yeah. I feel like as long as there’s more than one unique newcomer left (since a pokemon is getting in, be it Incineroar or else), Isaac is going to be at the forefront. And well deserved.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

I saw this, and i'm amazed no one has actually tried to make more fanart or leaks like this

you'd think Isaac or Geno would've gotten one by now

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I shoulda known better than to glance in the general thread. :p

They're already discussing who should be DLC... with 3 months to go.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Well, to be fair, I think DLC characters are just as much a part of the game as the regular fighters. Looking back, I can't imagine Sm4sh without Ryu or Cloud.

It's waaaayyyyy too early to give up on Isaac in the base game, but I think it's still fun to speculate on who we might get as DLC. My money is it's going to be mostly 3rd parties and echo fighters with a smattering of Nintendo originals such as Pokemon.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I just hope that the secret singleplayer green mode of bottom left-ness isn't some story that completely ignored the DLC chars, like the mode gets modified to include them in some fashion.

Although I'm sorta thinking about Brawl's story mode when I say this, and the cutscenes it had. All the characters had some sort of interactions with other characters. If DLCs were added, it'd be nice for some additional side mission or two was added to give them some sorta cutscenes with characters in the game.

Like say for example uhh... Wrecking Crew bad guy ends up as DLC. Imagine a side story where he runs into Mario and they have a cutscene or two of silliness. :p

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
There's a very high chance that not every single one of Sakurai's intended ballot choices were able to be included right away into the base game. Since they have a strong understanding of what fans want, A.K.A. what will make money and best extend hype past the game's release, I think popular characters will be mixed in with the usual promotional/third party DLC.

I just hope that the secret singleplayer green mode of bottom left-ness isn't some story that completely ignored the DLC chars, like the mode gets modified to include them in some fashion.

Although I'm sorta thinking about Brawl's story mode when I say this, and the cutscenes it had. All the characters had some sort of interactions with other characters. If DLCs were added, it'd be nice for some additional side mission or two was added to give them some sorta cutscenes with characters in the game.

Like say for example uhh... Wrecking Crew bad guy ends up as DLC. Imagine a side story where he runs into Mario and they have a cutscene or two of silliness. :p
My guess is that it's either a return of Brawl's boss battle gauntlet mode or it's a mix also including Melee's adventure mode where you traverse through Nintendo-themed levels onto your way to fight said boss.

I think the big kicker is that brief cutscenes will play in this mode. Nothing pertaining to a big crossover story but simply showcasing the environment and boss in some fashion. Maybe certain fighters can tie into a level and be incorporated into those cutscenes (a potential Petey boss cutscene could have him capturing Peach like in Brawl).

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Probably was that they intended to show two characters if earthquake theory is true.
Depending on the next newcomer, we'll know either way lol.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Dunno I may be too confident, but no matter which claims or leaks were made, I'm so sure Isaac is in.

If he's really not in the base roster, everything going on right now about him will surely make him a DLC.

Also that picture is really cool.

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I found this interesting theory about the amount of characters left until release date, according to the number of characters shown per week on the blog:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9gqnwp/blog_theory_predicting_a_character_count/

I think something like this has already been talked here but it's interesting anyway. I'll keep an eye at it for sure.

What do you think? It makes sense to you? (knowing the pacing can change when the release date approaches)

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I agree but let's not forget the story will actually probably be extremely simple. There's so much you can do in a fighting game with 70+ characters from different universe that can't / won't talk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom