• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
JaidynReiman JaidynReiman So, summing it all up with Isabelle there, where does it leave us with the other numbers at this point? Is it possible that there was the potential for more to be revealed in the Direct but was cut out or is there now no more room with post numbers for another potential newcomer?

I'm actually sort of curious because I wonder if it wasn't that Isabelle's trailer replaced Isaac's or whoever (obviously because the trailer revealed AC for 2019), but could it have been in a different spot in the Direct with another reveal at the very end? For instance, imagine if you put the AC trailer at the very beginning of the entire Nintendo Direct - that would have been more in line with the tone of that reveal and the video. It would have kick-started the entire video off with a huge reveal for the casual audience and given people a nice little Smash nod to start things off. Then you go through the rest of the Direct and give one final oomph with a traditional Smash reveal trailer. That's how Nintendo has always handled things like Smash in the past.

At the very least, the tone of the Isabelle and AC trailer doesn't line up AT ALL with how you would organize a game display like they normally do. Call me tinfoil hat, but it's fun to think about these things. Just wondering if the post numbers also corroborate anything like that.
Bowser was still pulled back to Sunday. That's still extremely suspicious to me. I'm waiting for Isabelle's "Today's Fighter" to go up. If she doesn't get a memory, or she's ID 136, I'm confident they pulled a reveal, and there's only one character I can think of they'd pull from a Direct that got delayed due to an earthquake.

Isabelle also feels like an introduction trailer, either to the Nintendo Switch segment of the Direct or the Direct as a whole.

But as per usual, take everything with a grain of salt.

Dude I'm sorry but I just can't get on board with this. You're telling me Geno of all people would be a bigger reveal than Isabelle? Maybe to the Smashboards community, but nobody under the age of 25 or so probably even recognizes Geno, and among those only the hardcore gamers. Banjo would be a bigger reveal for sure in the West, but Isabelle was bound to be announced sometime, and this way they get to do it during a general direct aimed at a GENERAL audience, alongside the Animal Crossing for Switch reveal.

And when did Sakurai "prove" that he's not focusing on big contenders? When he revealed Ridley and K. Rool? The two characters with the largest and most outspoken fanbase on these entire forums for the past decade? Or how about when he revived Simon Belmont and gave him his own amazing stage with 30+ music tracks even though Castlevania is a dead series? If anything, he's been TOO generous to the core audience and a character or two like Isabelle was inevitable. Some people are never happy.

It's not like Isabelle was the final reveal or anything. Once we've seen all the characters and your favorite isn't on there, THEN I would understand all this sudden pessimism and bitterness. Not that I would join in because this game looks absolutely incredible.

I agree that this isn't exactly positive news for Isaac's chances specifically, but I'm already happy with the game either way. And as long as he isn't an Assist Trophy, he can always make it in as DLC. Clearly Sakurai is paying attention to fan demand. Just remember that Smashboards and GameFAQs and Reddit and 4Chan combined are maybe 5% of Smash's global audience.
I've been seeing a number of people vastly underrating Isabelle for a while. "She's not a fan favorite!"

Bull****. She absolutely is.

Based on what she looks like... I'm really thinking Isabelle might have been an Echo that they changed too much, putting her into semi-clone territory. She reuses so much stuff from Villager.

EDIT:

Actually that's a really great point I haven't seen anybody else bring up. I always thought it would be weird for Isabelle to have the EXACT same moveset as villager, and ditto for Dixie Kong (since when has she had Peanut Popguns or a jetpack??) but like many others I was trapped into the mentality that all new characters would either be wholly unique or Echoes. Once again, Sakurai disconfirms a rule that the Smash community had made up with no actual evidence at all. I still think Shadow would just be a straight echo, but if Dixie is in I can easily see her getting the Isabelle treatment. She can keep the banana and the side-B, have a new Neutral B, and a reworked up-B that uses her hair.
This actually really kinda excited me. I don't care about Isabelle, but this confirms semi-clones can still be a thing, and potentially, we'll get a few more characters like that who aren't Echoes, but aren't fully unique characters either. Dixie Kong is a top candidate.

I think Shadow would still be an Echo, definitely. I can only see him getting his FS and his recovery changed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I find it funny how some people downplay the fact Isabelle appeared in Mario Kart 8.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
This didn't really change isaac's chances at all so I don't get why people are throwing in the towel. Even if we see an Isaac AT I'll keep pushing for him

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, Isabelle is a character I had no interest in (which is why I would havbe liked to her as an echo), but I'm not ignorant enough to not realize how big Animal Crossing is.

Oh well, I watched her trailer and stuff and she's adorable and cute atleast.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember where I read this, but didn't someone predict that Isaac would be introduced as another "gimmick" newcomer (Djinn Swap)?

EDIT: I was originally bummed by the Isabelle reveal, but people are correct when they say that the silver lining is that yet another Assist Trophy has made the jump to playable.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
(I don't believe in PushDustin, but since his words have good influence, this might affect most people's expectations of isaac.)

He thinks Isaac isn't in the game at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This didn't really change isaac's chances at all so I don't get why people are throwing in the towel. Even if we see an Isaac AT I'll keep pushing for him
It's a subconscious reaction to disappointment. Your mind instinctively tells you to assume the worst case scenario because that's a defense mechanism against disappointment, and to assume that the worst has happened softens the emotional blow. The Final Presentation all those years ago? THAT'S how you'd react. Right now? You're still overreacting.

(In one of my classes, we spend too much time talking about this book that talks about "inner critics" and "inner defenders", and we just want to listen to them because they offer less pain.)

Does it suck? Yeah. I'd love for Isaac to be revealed, but at the same time, he's not deconfirmed, either. It also shows that Nintendo probably wanted the Animal Crossing news to overshadow Smash Bros. because people have been begging for an actual Animal Crossing game since New Leaf and had to endure a paid expansion pack, the abyssmal Amiibo Festival, and... that mobile game. It's likely going to be the game that Nintendo will be promoting for Spring of 2019.

Though... I'm scared to buy the game because, inevitably, you stop playing due to life, and months go by, and when you come back, the town is full of weeds and crap. I'm hoping you can just hire a service to cover the weeds and vermin while you're gone.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Anyone else think Sakurai purposely made Isabelle a Newcomer to prove 99% of the Smash fans wrong...? She had Echo written all over her, but maybe Sakurai just didn't want her to have the axe...

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
(I don't believe in PushDustin, but since his words have good influence, this might affect most people's expectations of isaac.)

He thinks Isaac isn't in the game at all.
Push isn't an insider, he's a translator with no direct connection to Nintendo. He's speculating just the same as we are.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Its really fun watching reaction videos for Isabelle. Theyre reacting like a kid who got a book for their birthday. Yay?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
So guess the Sun/Moon/Stars Smash direct may end up being a thing. Funny I went in with the mentality that at least one of the big highly speculated characters on Smashboards was in for a reveal and said supporters would kind of just be able to breathe a sigh of relief and chill for a bit. But seems like we'll all be going in together for the next Smash direct where deconfirmations will be imminent.

Assist trophies, bosses, other third party reps etc. Isabelle's reveal, while unexpected with having my mind so set on the main ones predicted for the direct, it's actually kind of relieving in a way. That direct just had me on edge ever since it's announcement and I'm glad the anticipation is over with.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Anyone else think Sakurai purposely made Isabelle a Newcomer to prove 99% of the Smash fans wrong...? She had Echo written all over her, but maybe Sakurai just didn't want her to have the axe...
Yeah I never felt she was a perfect fit for an echo.

And I think this supports the theory that echoes were likely thought up after the roster was already decided. My guess is that they were gonna add Isabelle as a unique character from the start. Like before echoes were even a thing. She’s always had the means to get in. I mean, pre-e3 she was discussed rather frequently as a potential newcomer, before echoes were revealed. It was only after they announced Daisy that people were like, “hm perhaps that’ll work for Isabelle.”

We’re probably never really gonna know for sure, but I’m pretty positive Isabelle was one of the first newcomers decided.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
PushDustIn has been right about a lot of stuff, but I just can't buy that Isaac has been cut completely, not after the IP renewal. I don't think the renewal means Isaac is in, but it's good that Nintendo didn't just let the IP fade away

Isaac4SmashUltimate

Smash Apprentice
I haven't lost hope about seeing Isaac being playable in SSBUltimate! I can keep on waiting and besides, we've got a couple of months until the game is out.

Also, Inklings, Ridley, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, Isabelle and who's the sixth? Sakurai did change things a bit, but it doesn't mean we won't see Isaac be playable! I'm waiting for some presentation/Smash Direct for October/November. : D

Last edited:

TappyBat

Smash Ace
PushDustIn has been right about a lot of stuff, but I just can't buy that Isaac has been cut completely, not after the IP renewal. I don't think the renewal means Isaac is in, but it's good that Nintendo didn't just let the IP fade away
They will continue to do nothing with it

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Maybe it's just me, but with how many people are saying that's isaac is dead just mere hours after this direct, I have a feeling most people are going to think Isaac isn't in.

This huge influx of people calling out the people who said isaac would be in wrong. And I...can't help but agree I was wrong.

No new profile picture today...not that I hate it.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just me, but with how many people are saying that's isaac is dead just mere hours after this direct, I have a feeling most people are going to think Isaac isn't in.

This huge influx of people calling out the people who said isaac would be in wrong. And I...can't help but agree I was wrong.

No new profile picture today...not that I hate it.
I haven't seen a huge influx of people saying he won't be in

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I still don't think anything has changed for Isaac with this reveal. I admit the circumstantial evidence got me a bit too hype, and it probably shut off my logic brain, which told me that Isaac just wouldn't fit in with a general Direct reveal UNLESS it was alongside a new Golden Sun game announcement. Assuming we won't get a new Golden Sun within the next year or so (and I see no reason to expect one other than the franchise renewal, which let's all remember is a pretty standard process), I think he's most likely to be revealed in the next Smash-focused Direct, or as DLC.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I just got home from playing the game. I expected to see a newcomer I was expecting. Instead I got Isabelle. Now I'm not going to hate because she actually looks kinda interesting, but tbh there's a part of me that feels a little disappointed.

I still think Isaac is in, but this just seems a bit weird.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm high up in the sky, paying $15 to watch this Direct live.

Better be worth it lol.

I like Isabelle as much as the next person, but the big Smash reveal being a semi-clone is a bit underwhelming, I gotta be honest.

And I haven't read through the thread yet, but I assume people are now making arguments that this either helps or hurts Isaac's chances? Don't, this has no effect on them either way. We live to fight another day.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Isabelle... ok, she is a AT evolution, so its a good friend.
Now we have 3 Promoted AT, Lil mac, Dark Samus and Isabelle.
The chair theory is dead
Isaac still in the waiting game
Skull Kid still in the waiting game
Geno if he is he gonna be revealed in the end of all.

its still a fair fight

KMDP

Smash Legend
And I haven't read through the thread yet, but I assume people are now making arguments that this either helps or hurts Isaac's chances? Don't, this has no effect on them either way. We live to fight another day.
Your assumption would be right.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
We only have 3 months left....

I don't want to expect the characters i want out of being disappointment.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Isabelle certainly surprised me, but hey, she looks like a fun character. Besides, this could mean good news for Isaac. I mean, she's another character getting promoted from assist to playable. Isaac could be the next one in line for a promotion!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What's this about Push? He thinks Isaac won't be in the game?

Is it in reference to this?

Because here he's just saying ATs don't inherently get replaced, and he's using Isaac as an example of how GS didn't get any replacement content in his absence. He's using what happened to Isaac last time as an example, has nothing to do with his thoughts towards Isaac's chances now.

Or is it something else?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I like Isabelle as much as the next person, but the big Smash reveal being a semi-clone is a bit underwhelming, I gotta be honest.

To an extent, I think it MIGHT help it, but not Isabelle herself. The still missing posts... That's what I'm intrigued about. I'll definitely be making a huge fuss if we don't get a memory for Isabelle, and if her ID isn't 135 but 136 instead...

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
The most exicting thing of the direct to me was that new GameFreak game to be honest...

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm rather glad I've been tempering my expectations, or else I might have been bitterly disappointed. Instead, I only find that I'm happy for Isabelle and her fans. I'm proud to welcome such a beloved face to the roster, and I'm looking forward to seeing Isaac join her some day.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To an extent, I think it MIGHT help it, but not Isabelle herself. The still missing posts... That's what I'm intrigued about. I'll definitely be making a huge fuss if we don't get a memory for Isabelle, and if her ID isn't 135 but 136 instead...
So what's the implication in regards to Isaac? That one of the posts relates to him somehow? Seems like a stretch to me.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
How about that Luigi's Mansion 3 though?

Also I'll probably be picking up Kirby's Epic Yarn and the Mario Bros. U bundle since I never played them originally. I loved Yoshi's Wooly World so Craft World looks like another guaranteed buy as well. Especially if I can play through it with my girlfriend. I don't know if they specifically confirmed co-op but I assume it's possible, since it's on the Switch and all.

All in all the Direct didn't set my heart on fire or anything, but I didn't think it was too bad, considering most of the big announcements were made at E3. We'll probably get another general direct in January or so where they'll announce some big new titles. Of course by then Smash will be out so I won't care much. But I'll still watch for the DLC character trailers, haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom