• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
The one started by Big Lou, and aided by Rayku went pretty well. With or without the previous person the tournaments shouldn't be altered by much...or at least I hope.

Waba

Smash Apprentice
Hey Guys,

Yes, it's true USGA is NO longer a home for 'Waba'. It's a long story, but the short of it is I couldn't continue working with USGA without getting paid. I was spending too much money and working too hard for a partner who gave me excuses instead of support. Sorry about the inconvenience...

But, I am working on Bringing Waba Back to Life!!!

I am even working with Nolan Bushnell (Inventor of 'PONG' / Founder of Atari and Chuck E Cheeses) on the future 'Waba' company! I'm in Seattle atm working with some great people trying to make it happen. I'm working on getting a tournament together for December 4th, 2010 with Nolan Bushnell there to meet and greet with people and give out the prizes. I'll get you guys more info as I get confirmations and details. So keep that Saturday open!!!

Survey Question for all you tournament players:
What is the highest Entry Fee you would honestly pay to play in a SSBB tournament that guaranteed at least $2,500 prize pool?

$10
$15
$20
$25
$30
$40
$50

How about if it was a guaranteed $5,000 prize pool?
$20
$25
$30
$35
$40
$45
$50

Let me know guys asap, so I can discuss the results with Nolan and my partners. Thanks in advance...

MIN
WaBa LIVES :)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'd probably save up the whole 50$ if it came down to it. (for 5,000)

If there wasn't a guaranteed 5,000 prize pool the most I'd pay would range from 20-30$

I want to see what the others say.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
20$ for 2,500$ Singles
30$-35$ for 5,000 Singles.

Really going to miss the USGA :( Specially since i was only there once.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
For me, I would say..

$20 for $2,500 for singles and
$25 or $30 for singles

I don't wanna pay TOO much since I barely make any money. /:

Waba

Smash Apprentice
Hey Guys,

Yes, it's true USGA is NO longer a home for 'Waba'. It's a long story, but the short of it is I couldn't continue working with USGA without getting paid. I was spending too much money and working too hard for a partner who gave me excuses instead of support. Sorry about the inconvenience...

But, I am working on Bringing Waba Back to Life!!!

I am even working with Nolan Bushnell (Inventor of 'PONG' / Founder of Atari and Chuck E Cheeses) on the future 'Waba' company! I'm in Seattle atm working with some great people trying to make it happen. I'm working on getting a tournament together for December 4th, 2010 with Nolan Bushnell there to meet and greet with people and give out the prizes. I'll get you guys more info as I get confirmations and details. So keep that Saturday open!!!

What is the highest Entry Fee you would honestly pay to play in a SSBB tournament that guaranteed at least $2,500 prize pool?

$10
$15
$20
$25
$30
$40
$50

$20
$25
$30
$35
$40
$45
$50

Let me know guys asap, so I can discuss the results with Nolan and my partners. Thanks in advance...

MIN
WaBa LIVES :)

1. What is the highest Entry Fee you would honestly pay to play in a SSBB tournament that guaranteed at least $2,500 prize pool?

$10
$15
$20
$25
$30
$40
$50

2. How about if it was a guaranteed $5,000 prize pool?

$20
$25
$30
$35
$40
$45
$50

3. Do you think a large entry fee and large prize pool would increase attendance or decrease it? Why?

4. Would you like to see WaBa Tournaments in multiple and different locations/venues or a 'Waba tournament center' building with food, drinks, rankings, music, full set ups, atmosphere etc...? Why?

5. What suggestions and ideas do you have to make your fantasy tournament center (please try to keep it down to earth and realistic)?

Please copy and paste this and answer, or just answer by #. Your input is greatly appreciated!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
1. $30
2. $40
3. Definitely increase it. You'd have people coming from all over.
4. I don't particularly care. I make sure to eat at places outside of it, so I just want a place to play Brawl.
5. Spacious, lots of televisions, air conditioned.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya

1.$20

2.$25

3. Hermmmm judging from other large popular tournaments it really hasn't decreased the attendance much. It helped more than it hurt I guess.

4. Option A would be better for you and would lead to less stress. We may be the costumers but if the host isn't going to keep his store because of real life issues while trying to please us it's going to make your life harder at the expense of us who probably won't always be there for you.

5. Spacious, ac is nice. xD I want more friendlies televisions

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
1. 20-30$
2. 40-50$
3. It would scare away new comers it went up, but it would defiantly increase in the long run because like what Reflex said more of the community from OoS would come for the pot, think like SIEGE. I have a suggestion for the newcomer problem though, if you hosted smaller scaled tournies with a 5-10$ entry fee newcomers would like come and possibly we could increase the in state community. I know I could get at least half of my Japanese class *10 people* to come a tourney it had a low entry fee like that and I could drop by the Japanese Club and get people. I know they host their own video game tournies so I get people who would want to branch out and get into a bigger community.
4. Did you say rankings? Like a rankings that would go up on a wall?? That would be motivating. Food and drinks are really nice too :) Ehhh music? Hmm I do like music but I not into Rock. Idk if people would want to listen Rap, R&B, and Jazz while playing Smash but I would lol.
5.What Reflex said and females should be near. Good looking females LOL. Oh yea lots of set-ups so tournies can move faster, friendlies and MMs can be played too. (I like long tournies too though haha.)

Player-3

Smash Hero
1. 15/20

2. 25/30

3. increase it, oos people. as long as it doesn't go past 20 m ost of ga will show up as long as the door fee isnt like 20 bucks too

4. as long as they're around the same area time-wise it wouldn't matter

5. setups.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

1. What is the highest Entry Fee you would honestly pay to play in a SSBB tournament that guaranteed at least $2,500 prize pool?

$10
$15
$20
$25
$30
$40
$50

$20
$25
$30
$35
$40
$45
$50

3. Do you think a large entry fee and large prize pool would increase attendance or decrease it? Why?

4. Would you like to see WaBa Tournaments in multiple and different locations/venues or a 'Waba tournament center' building with food, drinks, rankings, music, full set ups, atmosphere etc...? Why?

5. What suggestions and ideas do you have to make your fantasy tournament center (please try to keep it down to earth and realistic)?

Please copy and paste this and answer, or just answer by #. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Hey, back to this.

DRN

Smash Lord
$20
$25

$20
$25
$30
$35

I dont think either will decrease attendance. The pool prize will definitely get people to come and enter from everywhere.

I think waba should do whatever it can to just increase attendance. I also think it should experiment with different venues. Different venues can possibly increase attendence. Food and drinks will make the venue better :]

Nothing at the moment.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
turtl told me about this, good stuff waba =] really lookin forward to this

now i'm assuming top 8 get paid out for $2500 pot? seems to make sense to me.

$25

$40

those are just what I'd feel comfortable paying...Genesis paid out a little over $5000 for melee singles, and their entry fee was $20. I realize that this is more of a corporate thing than grassroots though so I'd be willing to pay a little more (assuming of course the tournament is run as professionally as you'd expect from a corporation)

I think a large prize pool would definitely attract more OOS because you know, pros gonna come to get the money = others come to play the pros. It always works out that way. especially when it's advertised as such. if you're looking for something with a lot of attendance from the smashboards community however, you're gonna have to plan it around our other nationals...of which there are two major ones at the moment (Pound V in DC in the winter, and Genesis 2 in Cali in the summer). It's hard to get time when people are free inbetween there, but =/

Waba tournament center sounds a LOT cooler. I fully support this. You could also advertise these like...with TV ads and such, assuming this is really legit (with the Chuck E Cheese and Pong creator, I'd assume so). I mean, our community is big and all, but if you're looking to raise a full blown tournament center with all of the above, you're gonna need a LOT more players coming in. The thing about Competitive Smash is, that most people see it as a party game because, you know, it's advertised as one from Nintendo. Our scene has COMPLETELY grown to what it is (and I consider it large as such), through word of mouth and grassroots organizations. I think a real corporate sponsor helping change the minds of the common public would go a LONG way for the smash community. Games like Street Fighter and Starcraft, the main competitive video games at the moment, are supported by the developer with the tournament scene in mind, and we aren't. This requires more work to build up a base on a companies part, but seeing as how we have a comparable scene in size through what we've done by ourselves...I firmly believe we would be able to make up for it =]

TVs that don't lag...I really don't think you need to go the MLG route and only by HD TVs, because they basically all lag...none of us in the smash scene have ANY problems with CRTs, believe me. I guess if you guys really think it's "unprofessional" to have CRT tvs, it'll be really disappointing, because lag matters a lot in competitive gaming =/ but whatever. besides that...well ventilated? lol smashers are smelly. and air condidtioned...for that reason. and heated for the winter...cuz well...cold hand johns in video games are legit =p if u dont have blood in ur fingers u cant move them and then u cant play hahahaha.

i guess thats all really. refreshments would be nice, cuz having to go find somewhere to buy like a $1 sprite sucks.

Player-1

Smash Legend
1. $30 (read 3)
2. $30 (read 3)
3. It depends, it needs to be at equilibrium. I think $50 would be too much because not many people would feel like they have a chance of winning and wouldn't attend, and I know a lot of my other friends that I'm trying to get into competitive brawl would show up if it was too high. I actually could care less how much the prize pool was as long we get a good attendance like SIEGE because that's what made it so fun for me.
4. It doesn't matter for me as long as they're close unless you're considering making some OoS, also maybe one in the Augusta area because there are a few people that live there that can't come because of how far it is (although I'm honestly not sure if they would come still...)
5. A spacious venue, a big projector screen, getting tournaments done early so starting at an early time would be awesome, a lot of setups (TVs are most important IMO), and maybe something other than smash that you can do such as an arcade machine.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
1. What is the highest Entrey Fe you would honestly pay to play in a SSBB tournament that guaranteed at least $2,500 prize pool?

$10
$15
$20
$25

$30
$40
$50

$20
$25
$30

$35
$40
$45
$50

big tournaments ask for around $20 for door fee and $20 for each event.
4. Would you like to see WaBa Tournaments in multiple and different locations/venues or a 'Waba tournament center' building with food, drinks, rankings, music, full set ups, atmosphere etc...? Why? The smash room at waba might not be big enough for a huge tournament, but they have food so thats a plus. other venues are also good, lack of food though, but I want most of the door/entry/whatever money to go to waba without them having to pay extra for venue costs and stuff. So my vote goes to the waba/usga venue.

• livestream
  • Projector feeding big matches

disasterABDUL

Smash Ace
$20

$30

i think if theres a larger pool size it would attract oos players who wouldn't normally make their way here for a tournament due to the distance they would have to travel to get here. if the prize pool is larger like it was at siege then players would travel far distances to get here because they expect a great turnout and a great opportunity to play a lot of good players and win a good amount of money as opposed to winning just enough to get back home with a few dollars of pocket money.

waba should have its own tournament center so things like this usga problem don't occur
the food and drinks aren't too big of a deal
I'd rather hear the sounds of smash games over music when i'm at a place like waba to be honest. It just keeps my mind focused more on playing smash and motivates me to really get myself into it.

AC, space, time/places for friendlies or money matches because a tournament alone definitely doesn't allow you to play all the people you want to play regardless of how high you place due to things like that one guy you wanted to play with getting beaten by someone else or things like that.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
$20

$35

Bigger entry fee definitely encourages OoSers to come and play for larger tourneys. I like the idea of small entry fees though because they are easily accessible and very cost efficient. I think like Player-1 said is truth. We just need to find an equilibrium so everyone can be happy, but I guess thats what this survey is for huh :p

I really love the idea of this Waba tournament center. It sounds like a really awesome place to just hang out with friends and chill playing video games. Also it makes it a lot easier for tournaments since people being to associate a certain building or name with tournaments and a competitive scene.

Nothing too much really. Mostly just like the stuff the other people have requested.

Hope this helps Min! :)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
3. It would scare away new comers it went up, but it would defiantly increase in the long run because like what Reflex said more of the community from OoS would come for the pot, think like SIEGE. I have a suggestion for the newcomer problem though, if you hosted smaller scaled tournies with a 5-10$ entry fee newcomers would like come and possibly we could increase the in state community. I know I could get at least half of my Japanese class *10 people* to come a tourney it had a low entry fee like that and I could drop by the Japanese Club and get people. I know they host their own video game tournies so I get people who would want to branch out and get into a bigger community.
This might be a lot to ask.

Waba

Smash Apprentice

$10
$15
$20
$25
$30
$40
$50

$20
$25
$30
$35
$40
$45
$50

Thanks again for all your responses, it will help shape our decisions in the right direction.
This is your chance to have a say in the future of Waba and Smash tournaments in GA (and beyond), so if you haven't helped us by answering our survey...DO IT!:cool:

-MIN-
WaBa GaMe:)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
1. 25
2. 40

3. Overall the tournament attendance will increase, but not as much as some people might think. The guaranteed prize pots definitely catch the eyes of a lot of top level OOS players (Such as myself :D) but the high prices will also diminish the attendance of those who are just starting/at a mid skill level because they have to pay more for their 2-3 sets. However, this is counter-acted by the chance to play the pros that the guaranteed pot will provide...it will go up for sure.

I agree with Iblis's idea, to have smaller tournaments like monthlies or something that are normal price, 10$ entry fee and 5$ door fee, and then every like...2-3 months have the BIG tournament. That would seem to work better...

4. Tournament center would be BAD *** AS FUUUUUU. You could always have stations in there if people wanted to play so that you wouldn't have all that space just for a few saturday's a month. It would be ideal for smashfests (That with your permission could be self-regulated. I don't know much about how many thefts happen at your guys' tournaments) and for other tournament hosts when Waba isn't hosting anything.

5. AC, close to fastfood centers (BK, McDonalds, Subway), space, and neatness. I have to host tournaments at a place that smells like pot and it is pretty disgusting except for the RARE occasion that they clean up.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
BTW, Waba person, I thought of a good idea concurrent with Iblis/my current idea (I supported it :D)

So there are weeklies/biweeklies at the place with small entry fee. Every 2 or 3 months Waba holds a 2500$ guaranteed pot tournament, which will attract several OOSers. Then, ever 6-9 months, you hold a 5000$ guaranteed pot tournament, which will generate significant hype.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Me and ESAM were talking and the ideal thing that would for both WABA and smashers would be to hold normal weeklies like we used to, that would bring in lower levels of the community. Then every two months hold a tourney with the 2,500$ guaranteed pot to catch regional OoS eyes and those lower levels that are becoming better would attend to get the feel of a higher staked tourney. Then every six months hold a tourney with the 5,000$ pot guarantee, so we would defiantly get OoS participation and our community from mid to high level would show up represent.

As a whole I think something like that would make our community better. Also I agree with ESAM said if you do get a tournament center you could let others TOs host tournies there and make profit off it and let the local community hold smashfest there too.

I'm excited about this and whatever you take out of these suggestions would make tournies in GA a lot more enjoyable and even then we might get put on the map smash as state to watch out for like Cali, NY, Texas, or Florida.

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Ninja'd by ESAM his the TL;DR version of my post.

D

Deleted member

10-20$

20$

Large entry fees would decrease attendance after a certain point. Large prize pools will always pull in more players.

One central location.

Food/Drinks. You want people to stay at WaBa and buy there instead of go to another restaurant.

Internet Livestream with commentary and crowd. For OoS people who may be interested in attending a WaBa event in the future, this shows and advertises to them the experience of being at WaBa. It is cheap on various websites and will help with advertising WaBa.

Projector for hyped matches between good players in semis, finals, and grand finals. This will make for a better tournament experience no doubt.

Selling food/drinks at very low reasonable prices might yield more profit to WaBa. Selling sodas at 50 cents, medium bags of chips at 50 cents, and such.

More people will buy the cheap snacks at WaBa than wait to go out to say Taco Bell or IHOP.

Waba

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so is the next tournament/monthly going to be at Waba or USGA? kinda confused at the moment.
I am NO longer with USGA, which means my equipment is NO longer with USGA. 90% of the TVs in the tournament room @ USGA is gone, the PA/sound system is gone, people to run the tournament are gone, so unless you guys want to go there and take everything you need to run a tournament, there will be NO tournament at USGA.

I'm looking at the next WABA tournament being on DEC 4th @ SPSU. I'll post details when everything is confirmed soon.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

MIN
WaBa GaMe

Top Bottom