• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gentleman 2-Hit Cancelling

Virion Steel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rogue3570
I've recently been experimenting with ways to switch up my Falcon game in order to get that precious grab to set up strings. While practicing, I've been testing stopping the Gentleman on the second hit and then grabbing them, rather than allowing for the knockback of the third hit to complete the Gentleman. Forgive me if I've just been blind, but I've yet to find anything on this manner of setup and have been curious if there are any weird or cool combos that can come out of this.

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
2-jabs true combo into d-tilt does a lot of shield pressure and pushes opponent away which leads to a good dash grab setup.

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
When you say: ´´ true combo´´ , you are meaning it is secured because of the height, or it is actually combo like, even if they mash Dodge or any attack it hits?

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
well I do it a lot in a tricky situation where I do 2 jabs on shield and immediate d-tilt its true only hits the opponent if the opponent tries jab or grab out shield and sometimes catches rolls. Jab-Jab > d-tilt = true (Strict on timing)

Last edited:

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
I got used to the timing of two jabs by holding A button then release it and quickly move the control stick down and hold a so falcon does d-tilt straight after jabs.

Last edited:

Virion Steel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rogue3570
In my tests, I can seem to get off a dual jab - ftilt combo and then usually get a dash attack in on middle weights up until ~47%. I'm not the best at testing these sorts of things, so can anyone see if they can string something from the ftilt?

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
In my tests, I can seem to get off a dual jab - ftilt combo and then usually get a dash attack in on middle weights up until ~47%. I'm not the best at testing these sorts of things, so can anyone see if they can string something from the ftilt?
You can string f-tilt with a dash grab if you notice your opponent is very shield happy ( when you run towards your opponent might shield or roll away).

Last edited:

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
I've recently been experimenting with ways to switch up my Falcon game in order to get that precious grab to set up strings. While practicing, I've been testing stopping the Gentleman on the second hit and then grabbing them, rather than allowing for the knockback of the third hit to complete the Gentleman. Forgive me if I've just been blind, but I've yet to find anything on this manner of setup and have been curious if there are any weird or cool combos that can come out of this.
You can add my FC on 3ds I can help you out
My Combo Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BewkOr3qxcw

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
There are no true combo after jab 2.
Gentleman is the name of the 3rd jab, the knee hit, not the full sequence.
The only half decent mixup from jab 1 or 2 is grab because people often hold shield after getting hit by jab.

If your opponent tries to do a fast attack after your jab 2 he will beat anything you do that isn't jab 3.

So you can do anything you like after jab 2 but nothing is true and any good opponent will punish you for trying past the surprise effect.

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
The only half decent mixup from jab 1 or 2 is grab because people often hold shield after getting hit by jab.

If your opponent tries to do a fast attack after your jab 2 he will beat anything you do that isn't jab 3.

So you can do anything you like after jab 2 but nothing is true and any good opponent will punish you for trying past the surprise effect.
I guess jab-jab d-tilt is character dependent cause I recently found out that jab-jab d-tilt doesn't work on every character nor does jab-jab grab. This will work on character with fast fall speed, heavys. Btw Zss and little mac can get out of jab-jab before they get grabbed with their own jab cause its frame1. It doesn't mean it doesn't work on Zss and little mac.

Virion Steel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rogue3570
You can add my FC on 3ds I can help you out
My Combo Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BewkOr3qxcw
I don't play so well on the 3DS version after switching over to the Wii U version, but I'll try to add you soon. I appreciate the help in testing this!

I didn't expect any true combos to come out of this, but the surprise effect and the follow up are something that I hope is explored more. I feel like this could easily lead to a deeper mixup game than we have now. Any form of mixup is something that, as a Falcon player, we sorely need.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I know that mixups are always good but there are mixups that are worth adding to your game plan and there are bad mixups that will work once in a blue moon.
The main problem with jab jab mixups is that jab 2 leaves you at a frame disadvantage on hit, so it will work the first 3 times then if your opponent isn't ******** he will simply mash out of it.

If you really want some jab mixups then go for either jab grab or jab jump falling aerial.

I guess jab-jab d-tilt is character dependent cause I recently found out that jab-jab d-tilt doesn't work on every character nor does jab-jab grab. This will work on character with fast fall speed, heavys. Btw Zss and little mac can get out of jab-jab before they get grabbed with their own jab cause its frame1. It doesn't mean it doesn't work on Zss and little mac.
surely you have proof for to affirm this, because the combo counter of training mode (which is known for being really lenient) doesn't register jab jab dtilt as a combo.

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
I do but cba and I can pull it off on FG or when I am against friends and training mode :)
It works for me :)
btw I edited my first post (sry wasn't specific enough) and it should work cause that's how I do it.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If it works for you and in for glory then good for you, but don't go around spreading misinformation please.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Jab jab Dtilt is not a true combo. Stop saying it is just because it works on your friends.

Virion Steel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rogue3570
Jab jab Dtilt is not a true combo. Stop saying it is just because it works on your friends.
He wasn't claiming it was a true combo. He even stated that sometimes it simply doesn't work and apologized later on. No misinformation spread. :)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Even after your correction you're still claiming that jab jab Dtilt works on some characters while it's slower than jab jab grab which is known to not be true on any character.

But whatever, keep believing what you want and try to jab jab Dtilt people during tournaments.

Shanook

Smash Rookie
KntKumar KntKumar I've never actually thought of going into d tilt after Jab. If I ever stop at Jab 2, I usually grab, but I'll have to fool around with d tilt now and see how it fairs as a mix up.

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
Even after your correction you're still claiming that jab jab Dtilt works on some characters while it's slower than jab jab grab which is known to not be true on any character.

But whatever, keep believing what you want and try to jab jab Dtilt people during tournaments.
Bruuhhh are you dumb. The combo works because people don't expect it. Its a Mix-up part of the characters style. Its not a true combo but it can add shield pressure and pushback and it can be a good set up for dash grab. That's all I am trying to say Jeez

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796

I wouldn't say grab is the only thing. In some matchups a jump after the second hit can be good if you expect them to try to counter attack, then you can keep pressuring with a falling up air after they whiff. If they have an attack with the speed and reach to catch your jump as well as beat your grab then it's not that amazing since they can cover both with one option, but lots of characters can't do it so it's not a horrible mixup.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
It's not a combo. If it was we would an easier way of killing when on the edge . Go to training mode and have your friend spam shiek Zss little macs jabs or luigi n-air. This shouldn't even be a debate.

Top Bottom