• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be honest I originally came to these threads like many others to laugh at you.But over these past few months you Guys have changed from the annoying spiteful fan base that i heard about and mocked and I just I wanted to say sorry.
Apology accepted. The real truth of the matter is that there are bad apples on every side, maybe even many of them, but no one group is ever wholly bad, or irredeemable. Even if it might seem that way, some days.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think he has been seriously considered for a while. We know Sakurai wanted him in Brawl, but I don't think it was because he was seriously all that attached to Geno himself as much of liking to use weird and obscure characters with cool moveset potential. Geno really only has his fanbase going for him in terms of importance; He was a secondary character used mainly for exposition in a 25 year old game. He also has to compete with the single most competetive cast for a release. Not counting Wario and Donkey Kong Characters, he has to compete with Kamek, Toad, Waluigi, E Gadd, King Boo, the Paper Mario Cast, and tons of other characters his only advantage is his fanbase. He also has to compete with Squares line up of possible character, quite possibly the single strongest line up of RPG characters in gaming. All 4 of the SE characters chosen are big names, and I wouldn't be surprised if Terra or a DQ Character is also considered before him in the future. Sakurai's priorities very well may have shifted, after all the only fighters from the Forbidden 7 to even get added to smash are the ones from melee, not any of the new ideas. Dixie Kong, Plusle and Minun, and Tetra/Toon Zelda were all ideas that got even further then Geno but have yet to reemerge.

Also, we have to remember, despite us thinking that Mii Costumes and Assist Trophies are Sakurai "Failing" the fans, it's highly likely he just thinks of it as a good second place prize. He said it himself when Assist Trophies were introduced, not everyone can get into Smash, so these are ways to get characters who weren't able to get into smash bros in. He likely sees it as a fair compromise, he doesn't have to work another 2 years, people get to play characters they want!

I'm not trying to attack you guys for wanting Geno, I'm just saying he likely isn't high on Sakurai's radar anymore. It kinda sucks for you guys, to have a character you really want to have had a shot at the big time 15 years ago, and then being forgotten, but i feel it's pretty healthy to realise that Geno is one of the longer shots. Not Impossible, but more unlikely then most others.
You're almost not wrong. What you fail to understand is how much we already do understand that he is one of the longer shots and have considered all of those points as nauseum. Raise your hand guys if you're here and don't understand that Geno is nearly an impossibility in Smash. I realize tho that you've been in the thread(s) a lot and probably understand that and didn't mean it the way you said it. No disrespect.

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm going to try to get something positive for Geno from all of this:

- Sora, Cloud, Sepiroth and the heroes of Dragon Quest are already in Smash. So that means less competition for Geno in the next Smash game.

- The "Seven Squares" leak was real. For those who don't know what that is, here's a link. All of the characters of this leak (except Crono) got content in Smash (as Mii costumes or characters), this means that these characters were seriously considered to be in Smash, so now that he has less competition Geno may have a better shot in the next Smash game.

And that's really all I can think about that could be seen as "positive".

I will stick around here for a few days and then leave until the next Smash game gets announced (or if anything Geno related also happens!).

(By the way does anyone know if the speculation threads are going to stay open or if they are going to be closed now that Smash Ultimate finished development?)

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
You're almost not wrong. What you fail to understand is how much we already do understand that he is one of the longer shots and have considered all of those points as nauseum. Raise your hand guys if you're here and don't understand that Geno is nearly an impossibility in Smash. I realize tho that you've been in the thread(s) a lot and probably understand that and didn't mean it the way you said it. No disrespect.
People really think Geno is impossible remember when krool and Ridley were impossible.If you said Joker in smash you would look insane and if you said Steve you would be mocked at.Come on Guys Geno isn't impossible after all of The crazy never evers that are in smash geno is impossible

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Personally, I'm not really expecting another Smash game - or at the very least, not for, say, a whole decade or more. I could be proven wrong and we'll get one in five or six years or something, but I'm not expecting that to be the case. ...But, if we do get another one, I'm not really sure why Geno couldn't appear - like others have stated, this pretty much eliminates all of his competition, save for Crono, but assuming the trend of Smash games getting DLC continues on and that companies have multiple representatives, I think they'd kinda have to get both by the end of a hypothetical Ultimate follow-up.

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Bummer we ended on the costume twice. Nice ending for Smash and KH fans happy for them but overall that just pushes my desire to support a campaign to get SMRPG remake or sequel. That's where our efforts really should go these upcoming years.
And whenever Smash returns to try again for Geno as a character we'll have a much better shot.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
hey all. I barely log onto smashboards anymore but I thought of this thread after the reveal. I’ve been in Geno squad since before Brawl

This is a bit sad, bittersweet. But I look back on how awesome and fun this thread has been to be in during its heyday. It’s amazing how we reconvene every few years to enjoy some hype

I honestly can’t wait to do it again lmao. Who knows where we’ll be in our lives?

Chin up, look forward to the next Geno support rallies regardless of how long it will be, peace homies!

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Honestly by the time the next Smash game comes out I'll probably have way too much stuff on my plate to care as much or pay attention to smash as I want to. Even then if the next Smash game isn't just a direct port of ultimate then even if geno gets in it'll be bitter sweet. He was really all I wanted for fighters pass 2. Now with dlc done and all the characters being ones that I really don't care about I'm sad to say that I couldn't enjoy how ultimate ended. See you in nick all star brawl.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I was totally expecting a Byleth situation where the mii costumes shown off ended up being way more exciting than the fighter itself.
Boy was I wrong. Aside from Doom slayer, it was completely lackluster this time around with no other highly requested fighters in sight.

I was looking around trying to find the original cacomallow gameplay video and I straight up just can't find it anymore. I haven't looked the hardest I possibly could, but I know for a fact that the last time I looked up the video a couple months back, the video was one of the first results. Not sure if my memory is just acting up or if the video has been taken down.
Speaking of which... I brought it up in the reaction to the Challenger Pack 11 thread but it's crazy how we all thought the cacomallow "leak" all but confirmed Geno and Doomguy coming to Smash... Little did we know we would be right in the worst possible way.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Before this thread/Newcomer Speculation gets yeeted, I did want to drop a few additional ways you can continue showing your support for Geno and Super Mario RPG as a whole

Places to Hang Out

Operation StarFall
A great Twitter handle that shares fan driven Super Mario RPG content including art, music, game mods etc. Definitely a place I recommend if you want to continue seeing and supporting Geno

Star Road Discord
An entire Discord server for Super Mario RPG. How cool is that!
Invite Link: https://discord.gg/GywS2yq

Mario RPG Central
This is another good Discord server that talks about all Mario RPG games (SMRPG, Paper Mario, M&L, Mario + Rabbids etc)
Discord Invite Link: https://discord.gg/nY6rJua

Games/Fan Projects to Check Out:

Another Crusade/ Dragon Vein Studios
This is a game being created by Dragon Vein Studios. It's a game heavily inspired by Super Mario RPG and sets out to play just like something you would expect from Super Mario RPG. This is a really small studio who is hard at work at their game and have plenty of playable builds where you can provide feedback on. I heavily encourage supporting these guys!
Gameplay Trailer: https://youtu.be/Fg4w0fGOPNk
Discord Invite Link: discord.gg/79MFphJ

Rivals of Aether Workshop Geno
Created by Nackles42, Geno is a fully playable character in Rivals of Aether. He is even tournament viable in the Workshop series!

Geno Mii Gunner Mod
Spearheaded by Toshin with assests provided by SeanHicks, Geno is being worked on as a fully realized character using the Mii Gunner as a base template

Friday Night RPG: Legend of the 7 Weeks
This is still currently in development but this is going to be a really well put together Friday Night Funkin mod when it's fully completed. A Demo of the first week is currently available for anyone interested in checking it out

Last edited:

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
I’m not sure I can stick around for another Smash for Geno. I have been fighting for him for nearly 2 1/2 decades now.

I can’t say I’m not disheartened. I can say I’m happy for the Sora fan based.

I guess we’ll see how I feel next time IF Smash speculation comes around.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Never really involved myself in the Geno threads (mostly lurked), but just wanted to drop by and say if Nintendo could work with ****ing Disney to get Sora in Smash, there's nothing stopping Geno from getting in the next game, except waning fan demand (assuming he doesn't have to fight with the other Squeenix characters for a spot).

Whenever the next Smash game comes, I hope support for the star puppet is just as strong as it was during this speculation cycle.

Griselda

Smash Lord
If anyone's able to get in contact with Toshin about the Geno mod, there's something I think would tie it all together very well.

This is Omegah's Divine Blue Mii Gunner effects in the picture - which is also going to be a part of the Geno overhaul mod I believe - so credit where it's due, there.

My thought was this: you know those two missile things that appear in the Mii Gunner's Final Smash and circle around, firing smaller beams to support the main one? Well, I feel it'd be much more thematically appropriate for Geno if we replaced those with little Power Stars, instead, like this:
geno stars.png

I just think that would really sell the whole 'this isn't Mii Gunner, this is Geno' feeling. If nobody can poke Toshin about it, or if Toshin just doesn't feel like sticking in an additional element at this stage, then that's fine too, and I'll probably make an attempt at getting it commissioned as a separate mod on my own, later on.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Don't personally care about Sora, but he's a good addition. I haven't even touched the game since late January despite having bought the second pass. At least I'll have a ton of stuff to come back to once I get the urge to play again.

As for Geno, I'm used to waiting for the impossible so I guess I'll just keep waiting.
I mean, my list of never evers was Ridley, Banjo, Shovel Knight and Geno. Two and a half out of four is way better than I was expecting.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know most people here understand Genos a long shot, I do get the feeling a lot that some people think Sakurai is a secret Geno fan who wants him in, and the sole reason he isn't is Nintendo/Square. Its most certainly not the majority here, who have come to turns over the DLC cycle, but i did see several posters act as if his lack of inclusion is entirely on Square's end.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know most people here understand Genos a long shot, I do get the feeling a lot that some people think Sakurai is a secret Geno fan who wants him in, and the sole reason he isn't is Nintendo/Square. Its most certainly not the majority here, who have come to turns over the DLC cycle, but i did see several posters act as if his lack of inclusion is entirely on Square's end.
I wouldn't say it's entirely on square that genos not in BUT, I think it's fair that most people put the blame on squares end as they are the ones who own geno and do seem to be the ones who choose to add the characters they do over geno. Once again not saying they're entirely to blame, just that if hypothetically square was to give the ok to put geno in smash I can't see sakurai denying that in favor of another square character. Maybe he did idk but I personally think that square is very largely to blame for geno not coming to brawl, Smash 4 and ultimate.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Of course it was sad to see the Mii costume coming again, which in hindsight was foreseeable since all the "missing" Mii costumes were coming back. I am disappointed that it was given the deluxe makeover. How hard would that have been eh?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So it's weird, but I did nothing but gush during this presentation. I think it was because Sakurai worked with Disney to make Sora mostly KH1 stuff, which I grew up on. Like, I was the kid with the guide book with all the stickers to show I got all the Dalmatians. I was obsessed with the trinity marks, and I hated the Clocktower Phantom but loved Kurt Zisa. I spent so much time in the Coliseum that I got to Level 70 way before the game was ready for it just because I loved fighting in Kingdom Hearts.

So as much as I wanted Geno so much more than Sora, this was a love-letter to middle-school me, and all my disgust towards the series for how much it changed in Birth By Sleep (which was still fun btw) to the horrible gameplay of Dream Drop Distance to the major disappointment of KH3 (minus visuals) has nothing to do with my core love for the series which lasts to 358/2 Days. I was close to crying with how accurate Hollow Bastion is in the background of the stage, and Sora plays exactly how I would have imagined him to play.

So, this begs the question: If Sora was on my most wanted list, but was lower than Spyro and Geno is at the top, when Geno inevitably makes it to Smash I wonder if I will even survive the reveal. Only time will tell I suppose.

This is a great thing for the Smash community. What a way to end this pass, absolutely fantastic.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Been awhile since I've been on it feels like.

As someone who has predominantly hoped for Geno, but grew up on Kingdom Hearts, this outcome is a nice note to end on. Frankly, I am just happy it ended on such an astonishing choice rather than a weak fizzle, and it certainly doesn't hurt that everything was so well put together for Sora.

Of there is ever to be another new Square rep in some future installment, I get the feeling that will be Genos day.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
If anyone's able to get in contact with Toshin about the Geno mod, there's something I think would tie it all together very well.

This is Omegah's Divine Blue Mii Gunner effects in the picture - which is also going to be a part of the Geno overhaul mod I believe - so credit where it's due, there.

My thought was this: you know those two missile things that appear in the Mii Gunner's Final Smash and circle around, firing smaller beams to support the main one? Well, I feel it'd be much more thematically appropriate for Geno if we replaced those with little Power Stars, instead, like this:
View attachment 333321

I just think that would really sell the whole 'this isn't Mii Gunner, this is Geno' feeling. If nobody can poke Toshin about it, or if Toshin just doesn't feel like sticking in an additional element at this stage, then that's fine too, and I'll probably make an attempt at getting it commissioned as a separate mod on my own, later on.
Just messaged him now, with your drawing as an example. So whether he says yes or no, I'll be sure to let you know.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Well, that’s all folks, Sora is our final character! The winner of the Smash ballot and truthfully a very welcome and overdue addition to the Smash Bros. lineup.

I am very proud to have been apart of this game’s speculation cycle with you all, and I wish nothing but the best for everyone here. Maybe we’ll all reconvene once the next Smash game gets announced or something similar of that nature, but for now…

Goodbye Geno, hopefully we’ll see you again someday. :)

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy or anything and I get that people here are just trying to look on the brightside, but I do need to say something about a new hypothetical smash game and genos chances.

If there is a new smash game in the next few years for whatever new console Nintendo has out at that time, I still don't think geno is likely to happen. If sakurai did really try to get geno for smash 4 and ultimate as he did for brawl and he still wasn't allowed to make him playable, I don't see why I should give whatever is holding him back the benefit of the doubt and believe that it will change. This a game where we have gotten pretty much everything people said would never happen. Every fighter returns, k.rool, Ridley, banjo, Steve and now even ****ing sora. And still geno couldn't make the cut. Now we don't know if sakurai even tried for geno this time around but either way my point still stands.

The only way I'll ever have as much faith in geno coming to smash as I used to is if the next Smash game is a direct port of ultimate OR if something substantial happens regarding mario rpg and geno.

If you think that because we have so many square reps already that geno is a shoe in for a new smash game then good. But as of now I just don't feel that way.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
there is ever to be another new Square rep in some future installment, I get the feeling that will be Genos day.
Geno would only be a Mario series rep, tho. It's fine to say Square is in a good relation with NIntendo, but Nintendo need to ask for Geno to be next Mario rep in the first place.

I do think given Square has many fighter reps in this game, it's kinda sad for Geno to not get any love despite of that.

Anyway, if Geno needs to fight for next Smash game, hope that he will star in any new RPG and gain new canonical appearances. Aside from Mario Kart Tour, I feel like Geno would be a great addition to Chocobo GP.

shoe in for a new smash game
At this point I say this character should get any treat by now. It's not quite meaningful to speculate that next time is his time when very new characters like Rosalina and Nabbit have got more spotlights than him.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy or anything and I get that people here are just trying to look on the brightside, but I do need to say something about a new hypothetical smash game and genos chances.

If there is a new smash game in the next few years for whatever new console Nintendo has out at that time, I still don't think geno is likely to happen. If sakurai did really try to get geno for smash 4 and ultimate as he did for brawl and he still wasn't allowed to make him playable, I don't see why I should give whatever is holding him back the benefit of the doubt and believe that it will change. This a game where we have gotten pretty much everything people said would never happen. Every fighter returns, k.rool, Ridley, banjo, Steve and now even ****ing sora. And still geno couldn't make the cut. Now we don't know if sakurai even tried for geno this time around but either way my point still stands.

The only way I'll ever have as much faith in geno coming to smash as I used to is if the next Smash game is a direct port of ultimate OR if something substantial happens regarding mario rpg and geno.

If you think that because we have so many square reps already that geno is a shoe in for a new smash game then good. But as of now I just don't feel that way.
I do agree with this statement, and I’ve said something similar in the past.
Nintendo and Square have to figure out what the future has in store for the smrpg series in general before we get Geno in smash.The most inactive Ip associated with dlc is Banjo and it isn’t exactly inactive either.
If both parties had more to gain from the characters inclusion, they’d probably implement Geno as a fighter.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say it's entirely on square that genos not in BUT, I think it's fair that most people put the blame on squares end as they are the ones who own geno and do seem to be the ones who choose to add the characters they do over geno. Once again not saying they're entirely to blame, just that if hypothetically square was to give the ok to put geno in smash I can't see sakurai denying that in favor of another square character. Maybe he did idk but I personally think that square is very largely to blame for geno not coming to brawl, Smash 4 and ultimate.
See, I think its the opposite. Square wanted Sakurai to add Terra or Bartz to Smash 4, but he was insistent on Cloud Strife. Square was 100% why Geno wasn't in Brawl, don't get me wrong, they weren't on good terms with nintendo then, but I legit think Sakurai himself has moved on from the puppet to new characters. He hasn't stated The names he asked for from Square are big, big names, and he went through the hassle of trying to get Disney to sign off on the Sora license. If Sakurai really wanted Geno as a playable character, he legit can just ask Square and likely be able to license him relatively cheaply.

The way third party characters appear to function, Nintendo request the character, the company then sends people to talk a licensing deal, and then the character could get into smash if nintendo and them come to an arrangement. I highly doubt Sakurai would go "Can we use Geno?" then for said Company to say "No, but you can use Sephiroth instead."

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Square was 100% why Geno wasn't in Brawl, don't get me wrong, they weren't on good terms with nintendo then,
That's not true at all. Square-Enix had started developing/publishing games on Nintendo platforms again after the N64 era. Like SE was literally making a Mario basketball spinoff for Nintendo right around the same time Sakurai locked down Brawl's roster in late 2005.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
That's not true at all. Square-Enix had started developing/publishing games on Nintendo platforms again after the N64 era. Like SE was literally making a Mario basketball spinoff for Nintendo right around the same time Sakurai locked down Brawl's roster in late 2005.
Thanks! I knwo them and nintendo had a spat at some point in their history, but not exactly when. Still I think Sakurai isn't that interested in Geno anymore.

Top Bottom