• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

volbound1700

Smash Master
The sony party was mostly because you claimed Sony did a "50/50" when they are clearly starting to lean more 90/10 at best with western being 90 and the 10 being eastern (considering they are pushing to have time exclusivity for final fantasy for starters)

And source on Nintendo being close for bankruptcy several times? Because last time I checked, they are notorious to save up money so they have to spare to the point that they could continue having Wii Us for several decades before they were close to financial issues bank in 2014 when everyone said Nintendo was done for it https://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-not-doomed/

Today they are the richest company in all of Japan because of their whole mentality of "not spending unless needed" https://www.thedigitalfix.com/gaming/news/nintendo-is-now-the-richest-company-in-japan/

There is a big reason why Nintendo bought Next Level Games was a big deal. Because they are not a company that usually buys companies left and right. and they only bought NGL because they wanted to be bought. If they weren´t. them buying them would most likely not happen. The last one was Monolith Soth back in 2008. They don´t own Hal Laboratory or Intelligent System like some people seem to believe.

Edit - The current CEO just brings the point across of what I´m talking about with them not spending more than needed

" “We are not just blindly acquiring companies because we want development resources. We don’t think that simply expanding the scale of our business will really improve the value of the entertainment that Nintendo provides.”"

This is a company that started in the late 1800 as a card game creator, and not late 1980 or whenever Donkey Kong arcade releases as some believe. For heck sake, Nintendo has even owned love hotels in Japan at one point

So I hate to say it, but their general strategy of focusing mostly on the Japanese market works in their favor. And if what you say is true about 60-70% of sales is from North America, yet Star Fox, F-zero are not alive (and probably won´t be returning to life anytime soon), let alone Metroid being on its "2D sells well enough but Prime is not worth it"current status.... that is just another proof of them still mostly focusing on Japan then the western audience.
You are right about the strong reserves, I was reference their recent time of trouble: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-swings-to-net-loss-1406706326

Currently right now, they are rolling with the Switch.

F-Zero's issue is Mario Kart. It was a racing game that is now overshadowed by another racing game. Mario Kart is a HUGE seller Globally and if Nintendo is going to allocate resources towards racing games, Mario Kart will get the love every time.

Star Fox is interesting. It was really a novelty for SNES era and it is hard to fit into games today.

Regarding Sony, I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. They used to be bigger than Nintendo in Japan: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...cisive-decline-in-japan-research-firm-claims/

I think Handhelds tend to be more popular in Japan as you don't have the culture of sitting in houses playing games with friends like you do in the United States for example. I could be totally wrong on that though so don't hold me to it.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You are right about the strong reserves, I was reference their recent time of trouble: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-swings-to-net-loss-1406706326
I can´t read that article because I don´t have a WSJ account, so if you have one you need to screenshot it for me if I´m going to be able to read it. And even then, that article is supposedly in 2014, the same year the report that claimed that Nintendo had enough money to live on Wii Us for almost 4 decades.

Mario Kart is a HUGE seller Globally and if Nintendo is going to allocate resources towards racing games, Mario Kart will get the love every time.
Sure, Mario Kart is a huge hurdle, but they could easily reimagine it as.. let's say Yakuza meets Star Wars Episode 1 producing. Capitalize on his bounty hunter origin, with the money that you gain, give you the possibility to buy better parts for your ride, that you can do, while also being able to use it in multiplayer. would keep the racing parts, but it would also make it different enough to garner an audience that is not Mario Kart. A game like that would be most likely be most popular for the western audience and not eastern. With Star Fox.... Star Fox Assault would be the best blueprint for Fox games I would argue (doing just another "Star Fox 64" like fans claims won´t work) and like F-Zero, Star Fox is far more popular in the west.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I can´t read that article because I don´t have a WSJ account, so if you have one you need to screenshot it for me if I´m going to be able to read it. And even then, that article is supposedly in 2014, the same year the report that claimed that Nintendo had enough money to live on Wii Us for almost 4 decades.

Sure, Mario Kart is a huge hurdle, but they could easily reimagine it as.. let's say Yakuza meets Star Wars Episode 1 producing. Capitalize on his bounty hunter origin, with the money that you gain, give you the possibility to buy better parts for your ride, that you can do, while also being able to use it in multiplayer. would keep the racing parts, but it would also make it different enough to garner an audience that is not Mario Kart. A game like that would be most likely be most popular for the western audience and not eastern. With Star Fox.... Star Fox Assault would be the best blueprint for Fox games I would argue (doing just another "Star Fox 64" like fans claims won´t work) and like F-Zero, Star Fox is far more popular in the west.
No need to read article, it was the doom and gloom of the Wii U era. The media did exaggerate Nintendo's issues (even I saw that at the time). I overall agree with your point.

To be fair with Star Fox, they got a game on the last console so they are not totally abandon. Star Fox Zero isn't that old.

Overall this is a good discussion that I want to continue but started to get very off topic with Geno. Would you want to continue in Private Message? You got me watching Youtube videos about Sony and Japan. Interesting.

Here is the challenge and it relates to Smash, Japan's video game taste differ from Mainstream Global Video tastes in most instance and Japan makes up roughly 10-20% of the overall Video Game Market from sales point of view (but probably 70% from developers point of view). Sure there are USA gamers (I would say a majority of posters on Smashboards fit this bill) that love Japanese style games but they are not, often, the best sellers overseas. Meanwhile games that sell where in other regions don't, often, do as hot in Japan. The Sony pivot (which I think is a mistake) to the West is likely to continued focus on the bigger market vs. smaller market.

Both Nintendo and Sony have poor strategies IMO. Nintendo could do more to get Western appeal and Sony needs to maintain a base in Japan. I am curious to see the last two picks from Sakurai as he may surprise me and give us a Western character or two. I have serious doubts but you never know.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
No need to read article, it was the doom and gloom of the Wii U era. The media did exaggerate Nintendo's issues (even I saw that at the time). I overall agree with your point.
When someone asks for a source, I dare argue that you should be able to read the entire thing. Especially in today's society with all the clickbait articles. I mean, you wouldn´t know that the rom-site that Nintendo won a lawsuit over the other day had a premium subscription service if you only read the titles of the articles about it (the IGN one is a prime example)

Overall this is a good discussion that I want to continue but started to get very off topic with Geno. Would you want to continue in Private Message? You got me watching Youtube videos about Sony and Japan. Interesting.
Sure, I´m open to it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
When someone asks for a source, I dare argue that you should be able to read the entire thing. Especially in today's society with all the clickbait articles. I mean, you wouldn´t know that the rom-site that Nintendo won a lawsuit over the other day had a premium subscription service if you only read the titles of the articles about it (the IGN one is a prime example)
To be honest, I am surprised you even made a comment about it because if you lived through Wii U era, you would know that Nintendo was struggling. It was all over the Video Game News. I think the Doom and Gloom was exaggerated as I said since Nintendo had great reserves. However, their stock did plummet and their sales performance wasn't great. Of course Switch presented a major turnaround. Nintendo seems to have a roller-coaster ride when it comes to sales (especially in the West). I guess that I am curious why I need to link something that was common knowledge. It is like asking for a link that the 2008 crash happened.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To be honest, I am surprised you even made a comment about it because if you lived through Wii U era, you would know that Nintendo was struggling. It was all over the Video Game News. I think the Doom and Gloom was exaggerated as I said since Nintendo had great reserves. However, their stock did plummet and their sales performance wasn't great. Of course Switch presented a major turnaround. Nintendo seems to have a roller-coaster ride when it comes to sales (especially in the West). I guess that I am curious why I need to link something that was common knowledge. It is like asking for a link that the 2008 crash happened.
I made a comment like that because if there is one thing that always goes well for them, it's the handled titles. Would not be for (although it took a while I will admitt) the 3DS, I would have been with you that it would have looked incredibly dark for them. Lord knows where Nintendo would have been by now had it not been for their hand held consoles that have always sold hotcakes.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I made a comment like that because if there is one thing that always goes well for them, it's the handled titles. Would not be for (although it took a while I will admitt) the 3DS, I would have been with you that it would have looked incredibly dark for them. Lord knows where Nintendo would have been by now had it not been for their hand held consoles that have always sold hotcakes.
I converted discussion to PM but you are correct 100% about Headlines! Enjoyed talking to you!

QQS

Smash Lord
I believe our next 2 DLC are between Crash, Rayman, Eggman, Tails, Hayabusa, Lloyd or a Sony rep.

Plus, I firmly believe there is more. Maybe as Bonus. Probably here Waluigi or our eternal Hero doll possessed which name is hard to pronounce so call him Geno.

Don’t say it’s impossible. Don’t quit. It can perfectly happen as “The Last Wish” as a Special Beloved Request just for the sake of Fan Demand in this 2 decades campaign.

Again, maybe it won’t happen. But don’t say it’s impossible, cause you may be surprised.

Geno remains.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
The sony party was mostly because you claimed Sony did a "50/50" when they are clearly starting to lean more 90/10 at best with western being 90 and the 10 being eastern (considering they are pushing to have time exclusivity for final fantasy for starters)

And source on Nintendo being close for bankruptcy several times? Because last time I checked, they are notorious to save up money so they have to spare to the point that they could continue having Wii Us for several decades before they were close to financial issues bank in 2014 when everyone said Nintendo was done for it https://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-not-doomed/

Today they are the richest company in all of Japan because of their whole mentality of "not spending unless needed" https://www.thedigitalfix.com/gaming/news/nintendo-is-now-the-richest-company-in-japan/

There is a big reason why Nintendo bought Next Level Games was a big deal. Because they are not a company that usually buys companies left and right. and they only bought NGL because they wanted to be bought. If they weren´t. them buying them would most likely not happen. The last one was Monolith Soth back in 2008. They don´t own Hal Laboratory or Intelligent System like some people seem to believe.

Edit - The current CEO just brings the point across of what I´m talking about with them not spending more than needed

" “We are not just blindly acquiring companies because we want development resources. We don’t think that simply expanding the scale of our business will really improve the value of the entertainment that Nintendo provides.”"

This is a company that started in the late 1800 as a card game creator, and not late 1980 or whenever Donkey Kong arcade releases as some believe. For heck sake, Nintendo has even owned love hotels in Japan at one point

So I hate to say it, but their general strategy of focusing mostly on the Japanese market works in their favor. And if what you say is true about 60-70% of sales is from North America, yet Star Fox, F-zero are not alive (and probably won´t be returning to life anytime soon), let alone Metroid being on its "2D sells well enough but Prime is not worth it"current status.... that is just another proof of them still mostly focusing on Japan then the western audience.
I don't know about that whole thing about how nintendo could have been selling wiius for ages with no problems. Iirc I saw an article where reggie made a statement before leaving nintendo that the switch was basically a make or break product for nintendo and if they switch hadn't of been as huge as it was then they could have been screwed over real bad

They said that the reason there aren't any new f zero games is because they have no idea what to do with the franchise.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
They said that the reason there aren't any new f zero games is that they have no idea what to do with the franchise.
I know. And I find that ludicrous considering they have the solution right there. Captain Falcons origin story.

I don't know about that whole thing about how nintendo could have been selling wiius for ages with no problems. Iirc I saw an article where reggie made a statement before leaving nintendo that the switch was basically a make or break product for nintendo and if they switch hadn't of been as huge as it was then they could have been screwed over real bad
Did you read this article? https://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-not-doomed/

Yes, I know about the whole "make it or break it".... but due to how well their handheld has constantly sold, it is safe to say that they would be a handheld-only company then. I wouldn´t be surprised if Nintendo realized that the strongest area of consoles has always been handhelds when they developed Switch

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I believe our next 2 DLC are between Crash, Rayman, Eggman, Tails, Hayabusa, Lloyd or a Sony rep.

Plus, I firmly believe there is more. Maybe as Bonus. Probably here Waluigi or our eternal Hero doll possessed which name is hard to pronounce so call him Geno.

Don’t say it’s impossible. Don’t quit. It can perfectly happen as “The Last Wish” as a Special Beloved Request just for the sake of Fan Demand in this 2 decades campaign.

Again, maybe it won’t happen. But don’t say it’s impossible, cause you may be surprised.

Geno remains.
i agree i am not sure why some people gave up on Geno just because of mii costume while we know every 3rd party mii costume has returned as DLC again so far it doesnt really deconfirm anything.
the reason why 3rd party mii costume were not in the base game is because other companies wanted extra money when we purchase the DLC mii costumes and that includes Geno.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
i agree i am not sure why some people gave up on Geno just because of mii costume while we know every 3rd party mii costume has returned as DLC again so far it doesnt really deconfirm anything.
the reason why 3rd party mii costume were not in the base game is because other companies wanted extra money when we purchase the DLC mii costumes and that includes Geno.
I can answer that rather easily. It´s because it returned with another Square Soft character. It didn´t return with Geno as a character, and many (myself included) feel that it would be out of character for Nintendo to "if you want to play as him, you got to pay for the costume", for the latter have you pay up for the character as well., Sure, a costume + character doesn´t cost that much, but it would be scummy non the less

Heck, you could have used his Mii costume for his theoretical reveal trailer, making people first believing that the costume is going to return, only for it to be possessed, transforming to the real Geno so to speak

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
As far as F-zero is concerned, I still think a GTA style open world game where you race and complete bounties to get money would actually be really amazing but totally not Nintendo's style, unfortunately.

As for Geno, I'll admit I've given up hope of him being in Ultimate beyond the costume. While I concede it's certainly possible he or any Mii costume could still make it, I find it incredibly unlikely to the point that it's not even really worth discussing imo. However, I still firmly believe we should be focusing our efforts towards reviving SMRPG and honestly just nagging Nintendo constantly. We're already a thorn in the side of the Smash fanbase so might as well do what we're good at and continue being obnoxious, ubiquitous, and loud until we get what we want.

I've kind of turned my attention away from Smash and even games really for the time being. The DLC just doesn't cut it for me but I'm glad it made some people happy. I enjoyed Pokemon Snap but haven't had motivation to play it since I beat it or any other games really. The only thing I play right now is phone games and Ring Fit Adventure to keep me active. If a DLC character catches my interest I'll be right back on the hype train but for now I'm focusing on my collectible hobbies. I definitely need to show you guys the Japanese SMRPG cards I have coming when they get here. I'm so excited.

volbound1700

Smash Master
As far as F-zero is concerned, I still think a GTA style open world game where you race and complete bounties to get money would actually be really amazing but totally not Nintendo's style, unfortunately.

As for Geno, I'll admit I've given up hope of him being in Ultimate beyond the costume. While I concede it's certainly possible he or any Mii costume could still make it, I find it incredibly unlikely to the point that it's not even really worth discussing imo. However, I still firmly believe we should be focusing our efforts towards reviving SMRPG and honestly just nagging Nintendo constantly. We're already a thorn in the side of the Smash fanbase so might as well do what we're good at and continue being obnoxious, ubiquitous, and loud until we get what we want.

I've kind of turned my attention away from Smash and even games really for the time being. The DLC just doesn't cut it for me but I'm glad it made some people happy. I enjoyed Pokemon Snap but haven't had motivation to play it since I beat it or any other games really. The only thing I play right now is phone games and Ring Fit Adventure to keep me active. If a DLC character catches my interest I'll be right back on the hype train but for now I'm focusing on my collectible hobbies. I definitely need to show you guys the Japanese SMRPG cards I have coming when they get here. I'm so excited.
I appreciate this post. I agree with some of your points. It would be nice to get Geno and Mallow back into the mainstream Mario RPG titles. That would be the first start.

Yeah, I have found myself playing less Smash over this past year or Switch in general. Playing more PC Strategy titles.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate this post. I agree with some of your points. It would be nice to get Geno and Mallow back into the mainstream Mario RPG titles. That would be the first start.

Yeah, I have found myself playing less Smash over this past year or Switch in general. Playing more PC Strategy titles.
I used to play smash almost every day since the game came out. I started playing it a little less in 2020 and once sephiroth was announced and brought back genos costume I completely abandoned the game. Its just not as fun when none of the new content is interesting and there's no hope for your most wanted character to get added. I've shifted my focus to other games like splatoon 2 and honestly if the last 2 characters are as **** as the rest of pass 2 has been im probably not going back to smash for a very long time.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean, neither is Bayonetta and Astral Chain arguably, and both are Nintendo exclusive titles as of now (Nintendo owns the console exclusivity of Bayonetta, and they own the entire Astral Chain IP completely)

I´m starting to think we did the wrong focus on Smash. We should have started with SMRPG revival or Nintendo grabbing Geno c:o for spin-off games to test the waters.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i think Geno would be a perfect bonus fighter and if he comes with SMRPG spirit and i think it would be fitting they are placed in world of light on the castle part they could put Exor on the top the castle and then you have to battle Exor spirit after you beat it you can go inside the Smithy dimension to beat all the SMRPG spirit and with last of them being Culex and Smithy spirits this idea is way better than just placing it on the DLC spirit battle list.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I mean, neither is Bayonetta and Astral Chain arguably, and both are Nintendo exclusive titles as of now (Nintendo owns the console exclusivity of Bayonetta, and they own the entire Astral Chain IP completely)

I´m starting to think we did the wrong focus on Smash. We should have started with SMRPG revival or Nintendo grabbing Geno c:o for spin-off games to test the waters.
Honestly I think we did the right thing by going straight to smash. At least with smash sakurai actually listens to the fans. I honestly believe we would still be nowhere if we asked for geno and mallow to return. Just look at how they've treated paper mario. People have been begging nintendo to go back to paper Mario's roots and yet they still refuse to. Even with sticker star and color splash being poorly received by fans they still refuse to go back to the classic paper mario formula.

Nintendo isn't shy at bringing back older characters (Pauline) but who's to say they'd do the same for characters owned by a completely separate company. Honestly I think genos best chances at coming back were in smash and square didn't come through.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
A very bad news the official original artwork of the SMRPG puzzle is missing and the artist wants to see it again

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That is the point though. We are WESTERN Nintendo fans so we have a reason to be angry and complain. They are not giving us content. It would be like Nissan designing a car that is only popular in Japan and trying to sell it in United States, Europe, etc.

This is a MAJOR problem with Nintendo. This is why often in popular news, Nintendo is kind of the sideshow company or child company compared to Playstation and Xbox in the West. Sony is a great example of a Japanese company that knows how to appeal to Universal Audiences and not just Japan. Nintendo could learn a lot from Sony.

Another great example is let's say that I make a annual music anthologies. Then I put together mostly just Rock from the 1970s only done by American artist with a few just a couple of non-American, Non-rocks included that I have to include. There is all kinds of other great music out there but I have just solely focused on one sub-set of music. That is kind of what Sakurai has done with the DLC.
To be fair, if you see what is mostly popular in the West, it's games like CoD, Battlefield, Fortnite, League of Legends and Minecraft. Every rotation Blizzard has a game that gets hyped up, and of course you've got other yearly releases like Assassins Creed and stupid sports games that are 95% the same game as the previous one but it looks a bit better and now you have to get all new microtransactions.

I can't tell you how many people I've talked to about video games and what they play and how it ends up being from a list like this. In other words, I have to say, it feels like the US in terms of popular games here are kinda basic *******. Personally I'm glad none of this has shown up in Smash and I pray it never does, Minecraft aside of course, but that also doesn't address the fact that we already were addressed in FP 1 with Banjo. It's not that we are being ignored, not in the slightest.

If we look at facts here, it shows that the most requested characters tend to be from platformers or from J/RPGS. Not only do older fans who have been with Smash for longer tend to have these kinds of tastes it would seem, but unlike games like CoD or Fortnite, these games focus on certain characters and give you plenty of time and reason to bond with them and are often designed to be appealing for obvious reasons. Those who break this mold are Master Chief and Doom Guy, and for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Looking back at the Mega Smash Poll for 2020, we have proof of this trend. In the Top 10, you have one J/RPG character (our boi, of course) and a character that that is split between J/RPG and action/adventure (Sora). Then we have three characters that are platformers (Crash, Rayman and BWD). That is HALF of the Top Ten falling into this trend. Extending this to the Top 20 sees another two J/RPG characters (Isaac and Rex/Pyra) and three-to-four platformer characters (Shantae, Dixie and Ryu Hayabusa) depending on how you feel about Waluigi.

You also have to consider that there is a lot of crossover here: a lot of the picks have had universal appeal, like Sephiroth, Joker or Steve. A number of the things other groups like we also like, so going for things that will succeed with the most amount of people and thus make the most money while also making goodwill is very important. Frankly, Geno just doesn't have that same audience, he never will even with a remake or sequel. There is also the fact that most of the big decision makers are Japanese and thus have Japanese Market Bias, but frankly I think you guys are just impatient while also looking over things because it wasn't more of a niche pick.

Good news I suppose is that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was very much a Japanese-requested thing, much more than over here where other characters are requested. Honestly, Japan just likes big booba waifus who look cute and eat up the JRPG market, while over here we tend to value nostalgia and legacy a lot more. Anyway, with this last pick, if you HAD to split it up between regions I would say that we are looking quite do for a Western pick.

Will it be Crash? Chief? Who knows, but I think we have a lot more reasons to be hyped for this E3 than just Smash. It's not like if Smash doesn't quite pan out for us that we are doomed or anything, so rather than being an overwhelming cacophony of pre-registered disappointment and take the time to summon within us a bit more of a sense of wonder and even if it ultimately doesn't pan out at all than perhaps we just grit our teeth and bare on rather than become possessed by pessimism disguised as realistic expectations?

volbound1700

Smash Master
To be fair, if you see what is mostly popular in the West, it's games like CoD, Battlefield, Fortnite, League of Legends and Minecraft. Every rotation Blizzard has a game that gets hyped up, and of course you've got other yearly releases like Assassins Creed and stupid sports games that are 95% the same game as the previous one but it looks a bit better and now you have to get all new microtransactions.

I can't tell you how many people I've talked to about video games and what they play and how it ends up being from a list like this. In other words, I have to say, it feels like the US in terms of popular games here are kinda basic *******. Personally I'm glad none of this has shown up in Smash and I pray it never does, Minecraft aside of course, but that also doesn't address the fact that we already were addressed in FP 1 with Banjo. It's not that we are being ignored, not in the slightest.

If we look at facts here, it shows that the most requested characters tend to be from platformers or from J/RPGS. Not only do older fans who have been with Smash for longer tend to have these kinds of tastes it would seem, but unlike games like CoD or Fortnite, these games focus on certain characters and give you plenty of time and reason to bond with them and are often designed to be appealing for obvious reasons. Those who break this mold are Master Chief and Doom Guy, and for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Looking back at the Mega Smash Poll for 2020, we have proof of this trend. In the Top 10, you have one J/RPG character (our boi, of course) and a character that that is split between J/RPG and action/adventure (Sora). Then we have three characters that are platformers (Crash, Rayman and BWD). That is HALF of the Top Ten falling into this trend. Extending this to the Top 20 sees another two J/RPG characters (Isaac and Rex/Pyra) and three-to-four platformer characters (Shantae, Dixie and Ryu Hayabusa) depending on how you feel about Waluigi.

You also have to consider that there is a lot of crossover here: a lot of the picks have had universal appeal, like Sephiroth, Joker or Steve. A number of the things other groups like we also like, so going for things that will succeed with the most amount of people and thus make the most money while also making goodwill is very important. Frankly, Geno just doesn't have that same audience, he never will even with a remake or sequel. There is also the fact that most of the big decision makers are Japanese and thus have Japanese Market Bias, but frankly I think you guys are just impatient while also looking over things because it wasn't more of a niche pick.

Good news I suppose is that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was very much a Japanese-requested thing, much more than over here where other characters are requested. Honestly, Japan just likes big booba waifus who look cute and eat up the JRPG market, while over here we tend to value nostalgia and legacy a lot more. Anyway, with this last pick, if you HAD to split it up between regions I would say that we are looking quite do for a Western pick.

Will it be Crash? Chief? Who knows, but I think we have a lot more reasons to be hyped for this E3 than just Smash. It's not like if Smash doesn't quite pan out for us that we are doomed or anything, so rather than being an overwhelming cacophony of pre-registered disappointment and take the time to summon within us a bit more of a sense of wonder and even if it ultimately doesn't pan out at all than perhaps we just grit our teeth and bare on rather than become possessed by pessimism disguised as realistic expectations?
Platformers are HUGE in the West too, especially among Nintendo fans. You look at Nintendo systems, there is even some Nintendo IP that is bigger here vs. Japan (Metroid, Kirby, Zelda, and Donkey Kong Country for example). I am Westerner and I have actually only played one COD game on Wii and Never played Fortnight. They are not as big as let's say Mario Kart, Halo, Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, etc.

The Big Western IP that I am describing are Halo, Crash Bandicoot, etc. The Crash franchise isn't that far behind Smash Bros series all-time in sells: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

You can't argue that Crash, Rayman, Borderlands, or Halo use microtransactions or other crap. I will give it to you on COD and the Activision/EA crap. You do have a lot of high-selling, iconic Western IP classics that really don't fit in Smash such as the Sims, Civilization, Diablo, etc. However, they are not CRAP as you state and are many ways more developed and creative than many Japanese games.

I am a big fan of a lot of the 1990s PC games because they have a lot of replayability that has kept them alive with a following today and a lot of novel concepts. People put 1000s of hours in Europa Universalis IV or Civilization because each experience is very unique unlike a platformer or RPG were you can play once, beat it, and be done.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Platformers are HUGE in the West too, especially among Nintendo fans. You look at Nintendo systems, there is even some Nintendo IP that is bigger here vs. Japan (Metroid, Kirby, Zelda, and Donkey Kong Country for example). I am Westerner and I have actually only played one COD game on Wii and Never played Fortnight. They are not as big as let's say Mario Kart, Halo, Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, etc.

The Big Western IP that I am describing are Halo, Crash Bandicoot, etc. The Crash franchise isn't that far behind Smash Bros series all-time in sells: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

You can't argue that Crash, Rayman, Borderlands, or Halo use microtransactions or other crap. I will give it to you on COD and the Activision/EA crap. You do have a lot of high-selling, iconic Western IP classics that really don't fit in Smash such as the Sims, Civilization, Diablo, etc. However, they are not CRAP as you state and are many ways more developed and creative than many Japanese games.

I am a big fan of a lot of the 1990s PC games because they have a lot of replayability that has kept them alive with a following today and a lot of novel concepts. People put 1000s of hours in Europa Universalis IV or Civilization because each experience is very unique unlike a platformer or RPG were you can play once, beat it, and be done.
I mean, that's cool and all, but did either of those games have a portly plumber in red or a cool blue spiny mammal?

My point was already made there though, which is that platformers and J/RPGs make characters that you want to bond with and therefore those characters are loved. CoD or Fortnite is all about being the best in fast-paced action and looking 'cool' while doing it, thus being customization is much more important so someone can express themselves is a Killcam rather than making a unique character where you learn their story and bond with them.

I appreciate both sides of this: as a Monster Hunter fan, I love being able to wear the armor I want and look how I want and if that makes me weaker against certain monsters than so be it I'll own them even harder (layered armor has somewhat taken this away, but part of this still remains), but RPGs in which I get to see a world unfold and see characters get stronger and have trials and grow from them also means a lot to me and I get attached to them.

That's not to say that games without a character to focus heavily on are bad, they just don't make great material for Smash.

I never argued anything about Crash using microtranscations, though CTR: NF is proof that they do exist in a Crash game: What I said is that this kind of stuff is what makes up the bigger chunk of the US gaming market in interest. Nintendo may make a lot of sales here, but the average American gamer wants some sort of FPS or sports simulation, so for Western reps Nintendo is kind of limited in choices. As I said, you have Chief and Doom Guy, what with Borderlands not being as favorable anymore due to their poor decision making and how it would likely be even more difficult to make a Borderlands character work than Doom Guy. Yes, Crash is a very successful series, and though I could debate that the numbers of games Crash has over Smash Bros while also having enough of a hiatus followed by a revival still has made less than Smash, that's not what I'm trying to get at here.

What I'm trying to say is that most Western appeal if for games like CoD, lame sports games and heavily-monetized FTP stuff like League of Legends, Fortnite or Apex Legends. If you look at the sales of these games, they are WAY higher than the majority of other franchises, and it's all because of the US market. Thus, if you wanted to grab something with Western appeal, your first big choices are some character from a CoD campaign that is mostly forgotten in a franchise all about the multiplayer or actual athletes which I'm pretty sure is impossible.

Thus you have to focus on the characters that the Western Smash Community is bringing up because Western casual doesn't bear any edible fruit, and when you combine this with all the overlap between US and East loving the same games or franchises and asking for the same characters, obviously you are more likely to pick one of those instead.

Some other things to note: that link you posted proved your own point wrong, as CoD and sports titles ARE just as successful if not more so than those franchises you listed. CoD, FIFA, NBA 2K and GTA are all in the 100 million section where as Halo and Donkey Kong are in the 50 million and Kirby is in the 20 million. You also used your personal experience, which doesn't come into play here. If I used my personal experience, I would be similar to you, having only seriously played two CoD games and never touching franchises like NBA 2K and actively being against Fortnite and it's practices...but neither of our personal experiences matter when talking about the actual success and popularity of these franchises. This is anecdotal and falls under use of a logical fallacy.

Also, when you suggested that I called those games crap when I did not could be seen as strawmanning, which is taking someone's argument and changing it into something else wasn't the original argument and addressing that instead. I honestly think there was just some confusion here and frankly I have a history of being less clear in text form than in vocal form so I'll just assume I made some errors in my statement in how I worded it that made it sound as such.

Thanks for reminding me that stupid games like the NBA 2K and FIFA series sell both tons of copies and milk their consumers dry with microtransactions, that was depressing to remember the magnitude of how dumb consumers can be.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I mean, that's cool and all, but did either of those games have a portly plumber in red or a cool blue spiny mammal?

My point was already made there though, which is that platformers and J/RPGs make characters that you want to bond with and therefore those characters are loved. CoD or Fortnite is all about being the best in fast-paced action and looking 'cool' while doing it, thus being customization is much more important so someone can express themselves is a Killcam rather than making a unique character where you learn their story and bond with them.

I appreciate both sides of this: as a Monster Hunter fan, I love being able to wear the armor I want and look how I want and if that makes me weaker against certain monsters than so be it I'll own them even harder (layered armor has somewhat taken this away, but part of this still remains), but RPGs in which I get to see a world unfold and see characters get stronger and have trials and grow from them also means a lot to me and I get attached to them.

That's not to say that games without a character to focus heavily on are bad, they just don't make great material for Smash.

I never argued anything about Crash using microtranscations, though CTR: NF is proof that they do exist in a Crash game: What I said is that this kind of stuff is what makes up the bigger chunk of the US gaming market in interest. Nintendo may make a lot of sales here, but the average American gamer wants some sort of FPS or sports simulation, so for Western reps Nintendo is kind of limited in choices. As I said, you have Chief and Doom Guy, what with Borderlands not being as favorable anymore due to their poor decision making and how it would likely be even more difficult to make a Borderlands character work than Doom Guy. Yes, Crash is a very successful series, and though I could debate that the numbers of games Crash has over Smash Bros while also having enough of a hiatus followed by a revival still has made less than Smash, that's not what I'm trying to get at here.

What I'm trying to say is that most Western appeal if for games like CoD, lame sports games and heavily-monetized FTP stuff like League of Legends, Fortnite or Apex Legends. If you look at the sales of these games, they are WAY higher than the majority of other franchises, and it's all because of the US market. Thus, if you wanted to grab something with Western appeal, your first big choices are some character from a CoD campaign that is mostly forgotten in a franchise all about the multiplayer or actual athletes which I'm pretty sure is impossible.

Thus you have to focus on the characters that the Western Smash Community is bringing up because Western casual doesn't bear any edible fruit, and when you combine this with all the overlap between US and East loving the same games or franchises and asking for the same characters, obviously you are more likely to pick one of those instead.

Some other things to note: that link you posted proved your own point wrong, as CoD and sports titles ARE just as successful if not more so than those franchises you listed. CoD, FIFA, NBA 2K and GTA are all in the 100 million section where as Halo and Donkey Kong are in the 50 million and Kirby is in the 20 million. You also used your personal experience, which doesn't come into play here. If I used my personal experience, I would be similar to you, having only seriously played two CoD games and never touching franchises like NBA 2K and actively being against Fortnite and it's practices...but neither of our personal experiences matter when talking about the actual success and popularity of these franchises. This is anecdotal and falls under use of a logical fallacy.

Also, when you suggested that I called those games crap when I did not could be seen as strawmanning, which is taking someone's argument and changing it into something else wasn't the original argument and addressing that instead. I honestly think there was just some confusion here and frankly I have a history of being less clear in text form than in vocal form so I'll just assume I made some errors in my statement in how I worded it that made it sound as such.

Thanks for reminding me that stupid games like the NBA 2K and FIFA series sell both tons of copies and milk their consumers dry with microtransactions, that was depressing to remember the magnitude of how dumb consumers can be.
So you look at all-time Western sales, it partial agrees with you but not totally: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

1. Call of Duty - Agrees with your argument. COD has 400 Million sales
2. Grand Theft Auto - This doesn't quite fit your bill since it is more of a story driven game. It has 345 Million Sales
3. FIFA - Agrees with your argument. 325 Million Sales
4. Lego Series - 200 Million (I can't say whether this one fits your description or not)
5. The Sims - 200 Million (This one is a very unique Franchise and does not fit your description)
6. Minecraft - 200 Million (Again a Sandbox game like the Sims built around strategy)
7. Assassin's Creed
8. Need for Speed
9. Madden
10. NBA

Yeah sports games are on the list heavily. Heck, I love the NCAA Football Games. The reason I got back into consoles after avoiding them in Highschool was to initially get a College Football Game. I bought Gamecube since it was only $ 80 and got NCAA 2003 for $ 10. $ 90 to get going with it. Eventually after playing Smash 64 on a trip, I decided to go get Smash and went and bought Melee (the first Smash game that I ever owned). That got me into the series. Brawl's announcement came not long after it.

Still, Western IP is very unique. Take the Diablo Series, Skyrim, Civilization, Age of Empires, Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Europa Universalis 4, Starcraft, Warcraft, etc. There is tons of different IP out there. The West actually has far more variety of games than you have in Japan. Japan doesn't have anything in the 4x Strategy department for example.

While in Japan, you primarily have puzzle games, RPGS, platformers, fighters, some soft strategy like Fire Emblem, and racers. Western IPs have all kinds of unique IP such as simulators, Grand Strategy, Real Time Strategy, 4X, RPGs, Open-World RPGs, Hack and Slash, First Person Shooters, First Person Adventure Games (i.e. Uncharted), Point and Click Puzzle games (i.e. Myst), Role-Playing (Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, the Witcher, etc.).

I do think the West tends to have its better games on PC and PC is hard to track from sales because it is more reliant on download. Steam racks in the $$$$ and probably has more users on it regularly than most consoles.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So you look at all-time Western sales, it partial agrees with you but not totally: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

1. Call of Duty - Agrees with your argument. COD has 400 Million sales
2. Grand Theft Auto - This doesn't quite fit your bill since it is more of a story driven game. It has 345 Million Sales
3. FIFA - Agrees with your argument. 325 Million Sales
4. Lego Series - 200 Million (I can't say whether this one fits your description or not)
5. The Sims - 200 Million (This one is a very unique Franchise and does not fit your description)
6. Minecraft - 200 Million (Again a Sandbox game like the Sims built around strategy)
7. Assassin's Creed
8. Need for Speed
9. Madden
10. NBA

Yeah sports games are on the list heavily. Heck, I love the NCAA Football Games. The reason I got back into consoles after avoiding them in Highschool was to initially get a College Football Game. I bought Gamecube since it was only $ 80 and got NCAA 2003 for $ 10. $ 90 to get going with it. Eventually after playing Smash 64 on a trip, I decided to go get Smash and went and bought Melee (the first Smash game that I ever owned). That got me into the series. Brawl's announcement came not long after it.

Still, Western IP is very unique. Take the Diablo Series, Skyrim, Civilization, Age of Empires, Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Europa Universalis 4, Starcraft, Warcraft, etc. There is tons of different IP out there. The West actually has far more variety of games than you have in Japan. Japan doesn't have anything in the 4x Strategy department for example.

While in Japan, you primarily have puzzle games, RPGS, platformers, fighters, some soft strategy like Fire Emblem, and racers. Western IPs have all kinds of unique IP such as simulators, Grand Strategy, Real Time Strategy, 4X, RPGs, Open-World RPGs, Hack and Slash, First Person Shooters, First Person Adventure Games (i.e. Uncharted), Point and Click Puzzle games (i.e. Myst), Role-Playing (Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, the Witcher, etc.).

I do think the West tends to have its better games on PC and PC is hard to track from sales because it is more reliant on download. Steam racks in the $$$$ and probably has more users on it regularly than most consoles.
Lego is weird because they can make it basically anything, but it's based off a non-video game franchise and thus will never get into Smash. That said, I would enjoy a legit Lego fighting game.

I know that GTA has story, but I always felt that most people play GTA not for the story but for the chaos you can create and then eventually for the online multiplayer. This is different from a game like, say, Borderlands where the focus on the story and the multiplayer are much more intertwined and thus there is a clear love for both.

Sims is very successful, yes, but that is also another game that really doesn't fit for Smash. Sure, we've already had the whole avatar argument killed with Steve and Villager, but even then they are both iconic with their default appearances and I'm not sure The Sims have a character like that. This is why I'm glad Fortnite got hit so hard with that recent announcement in terms of Jonesy's chances for Smash. That is the primary issue with games that focus on customization and character creation: it's focused on an individual experience, something hard to replicate in games like Smash. Even the Mii Fighters are VERY limited in terms of moveset customization, so I'm not sure if trying to make the Sims for Smash would work out well.

I'm not saying there aren't many games to pull from, but that Western gamers REALLY like the games that are difficult to perhaps impossible to pull from. This is why listening to fan requests is so important because to cater to your Western audience you are pretty much limited to specific games within genres. It's just the nature of the kind of games being made that US gamers like, and if I can be real with you for a moment, it's a byproduct of manipulation in marketing and the Western market accepting less for more.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That being said, guys, I think it's time to get hype for this E3. We already have many reasons, but I think the chances of our boi showing up pretty soon are actually really good.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Lego is weird because they can make it basically anything, but it's based off a non-video game franchise and thus will never get into Smash. That said, I would enjoy a legit Lego fighting game.

I know that GTA has story, but I always felt that most people play GTA not for the story but for the chaos you can create and then eventually for the online multiplayer. This is different from a game like, say, Borderlands where the focus on the story and the multiplayer are much more intertwined and thus there is a clear love for both.

Sims is very successful, yes, but that is also another game that really doesn't fit for Smash. Sure, we've already had the whole avatar argument killed with Steve and Villager, but even then they are both iconic with their default appearances and I'm not sure The Sims have a character like that. This is why I'm glad Fortnite got hit so hard with that recent announcement in terms of Jonesy's chances for Smash. That is the primary issue with games that focus on customization and character creation: it's focused on an individual experience, something hard to replicate in games like Smash. Even the Mii Fighters are VERY limited in terms of moveset customization, so I'm not sure if trying to make the Sims for Smash would work out well.

I'm not saying there aren't many games to pull from, but that Western gamers REALLY like the games that are difficult to perhaps impossible to pull from. This is why listening to fan requests is so important because to cater to your Western audience you are pretty much limited to specific games within genres. It's just the nature of the kind of games being made that US gamers like, and if I can be real with you for a moment, it's a byproduct of manipulation in marketing and the Western market accepting less for more.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That being said, guys, I think it's time to get hype for this E3. We already have many reasons, but I think the chances of our boi showing up pretty soon are actually really good.
There are four clear Western IP that come up VERY OFTEN on here that are easy fits:

1. Doom Guy
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Rayman
4. Masterchief

You also had several that appeared in Sony's Playstation All-Star Battle Royale which was about 50/50 in representation:

1. Nathan Drake
2. Sack Boy
3. Kratos
4. Bid Daddy
5. Ratchet & Clank
6. Jax and Dexter
7. Isaac Clark
8. Sly Cooper

To say there isn't Western IP out there is crazy. Heck even with some of the non-console IP, Jim Raynor or Sarah Kerrigan from Starcraft are pretty iconic. Imagine having the Queen of Blades in Smash. She is an iconic villain/anti-hero.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You also had several that appeared in Sony's Playstation All-Star Battle Royale which was about 50/50 in representation:
Yes, because Sony All-Star Battle, the game that is known to have several character choices only being there because "we couldn´t get character x" is a good option. You do know that they tried to get Snake and Cloud right for example? Heck, they didn´t even get the choice of Dante that they wanted in the first place and had to settle with the rebooted one that the fans hate.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yes, because Sony All-Star Battle, the game that is known to have several character choices only being there because "we couldn´t get character x" is a good option. You do know that they tried to get Snake and Cloud right for example? Heck, they didn´t even get the choice of Dante that they wanted in the first place and had to settle with the rebooted one that the fans hate.
Actually, I watched a video on that. Three characters were being rebooted at the time and this hurt their chances to get them.

Metal Gear was rebooting Snake to the older model and literally told the team in PSABR that they wanted him in the game but could not get a correct model in time for the game.

Similar situation was going on with Lara Croft and Tomb Raider who was a character the team wanted.

I didn't hear about Cloud. I think Square-Enix probably shot them down.

Great video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArLaodE1uc

Still there was iconic Western IP that appeared in the game. My understand is that the roster (although not the best) wasn't the problem that killed the game but the unique play-style that favored finishing moves over the actual regular fighting moves. The game wasn't bad and I thought Sony threw the towel on it too early. You cannot expect the first outing to beat out Smash. I think had they continued the Franchise, it would be more competitive now.

My point, though, was that there are iconic Western IP that can be stuck in games out there. Granted most of this IP is on Playstation and Xbox and has not frequented Nintendo System.

Characters from Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Last of Us, Halo, Borderlands, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, anything from Blizzard, anything Bethesda, etc. would fit well in games like Smash and could be made to work. I think the lack of recognizability on Nintendo hurts many of these franchises though.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
LOL, I was just watching a What Happened video from "Matt, I fooled everyone about what Super Mario's mega cat form, and Bowser's fury forms official name McMucle". (He was the one that spread the news that the "fury form"was called God Slayer Bowser)

Actually, I watched a video on that. Three characters were being rebooted at the time and this hurt their chances to get them.
And Square Enix was pushing Lightning like crazy, or could potentially have him put in Noctis considering Final Fantasy 15 was going to release the year after, but Sakurai managed to essentially meet up and ask for Cloud during the Smash WiiU/3DS era, let alone get access to Sepiroth the next installment.

My point, though, was that there are iconic Western IP that can be stuck in games out there. Granted most of this IP is on Playstation and Xbox and has not frequented Nintendo System.

Characters from Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Last of Us, Halo, Borderlands, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, anything from Blizzard, anything Bethesda, etc. would fit well in games like Smash and could be made to work. I think the lack of recognizability on Nintendo hurts many of these franchises though.
I have to disagree with the majority of them. Sure, this is a videogame celebration game, but you are missing a key ingredient here. This company might focus on the eastern market... but all of the IPs that are included have worldwide appeal. Even though Banjo & Kazooie is much more popular in the west, they have their good share of fans in Japan also (heck, they even trended on Japanese Twitter for a good chunk after the reveal) The only ones of your mentioning that somewhat has it are Rayman and Crash. Granted, Crash isn´t that big in Japan and I don´t know how popular Rayman is there, but the genre is popular in Japan.

The rest of the IPs is 100% western fanbase. Those are IPs that eastern Nintendo fans could give less crap about even if they so wanted and that's why they honestly don´t really fit Smash. The only one that potentially has a shot would be Master Chief because of his status as a mascot and Nintendo and Xbox's good relationship. But that's it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
LOL, I was just watching a What Happened video from "Matt, I fooled everyone about what Super Mario's mega cat form, and Bowser's fury forms official name McMucle". (He was the one that spread the news that the "fury form"was called God Slayer Bowser)

And Square Enix was pushing Lightning like crazy, or could potentially have him put in Noctis considering Final Fantasy 15 was going to release the year after, but Sakurai managed to essentially meet up and ask for Cloud during the Smash WiiU/3DS era, let alone get access to Sepiroth the next installment.

I have to disagree with the majority of them. Sure, this is a videogame celebration game, but you are missing a key ingredient here. This company might focus on the eastern market... but all of the IPs that are included have worldwide appeal. Even though Banjo & Kazooie is much more popular in the west, they have their good share of fans in Japan also (heck, they even trended on Japanese Twitter for a good chunk after the reveal) The only ones of your mentioning that somewhat has it are Rayman and Crash. Granted, Crash isn´t that big in Japan and I don´t know how popular Rayman is there, but the genre is popular in Japan.

The rest of the IPs is 100% western fanbase. Those are IPs that eastern Nintendo fans could give less crap about even if they so wanted and that's why they honestly don´t really fit Smash. The only one that potentially has a shot would be Master Chief because of his status as a mascot and Nintendo and Xbox's good relationship. But that's it.
Well to be honest, Japan seems to be more close-minded by Non-Japanese IP than the West tends to be about Japanese IP.

It seems like most of the great Global IP gets shot down in Smash discussions because "they are not popular in Japan." Heck some of this IP is popular everywhere else (North and South America, Australia, Europe, China, etc.) but not Japan. I think the Japanese gaming community can be a little close minded.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well to be honest, Japan seems to be more close-minded by Non-Japanese IP than the West tends to be about Japanese IP.
Well.. this is the same country that put this law out 2 years ago

It seems like most of the great Global IP gets shot down in Smash discussions because "they are not popular in Japan."
Maybe because Super Smash Brothers are made by Japanese developers, working for a Japanese company whose main focus has always been Japan?

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
In all honesty, Smash represents Playstation better than Playstation All-Stars.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Honestly, i like the gameplay mechanic for Playstation All-Stars, it makes it unique and the roster while not the best is still pretty good since most of the characters' do play off their playstyles well in which people can get used to or are familiar with based on their games.

Last edited:

Audioplasma

Smash Cadet

Wait really? Sorry I’ve been out of the loop in speculation for geno, how did his chances go up?

Audioplasma

Smash Cadet
Could be that supposed remake/sequel, but then again, I wouldn´t get your hopes up.
I’ve been trying to make up scenarios in my head on how he could still make it in but each time the mii costume always gets in the way, I’ll still have hope for our doll boi but idk

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I’ve been trying to make up scenarios in my head on how he could still make it in but each time the mii costume always gets in the way, I’ll still have hope for our doll boi but idk
Same. I would love to see him being playable after all. But I just can´t see Square of all companies get 3 new characters, let alone one being an MII costume at the same time that revealed with another Square character. The best thing we could probably wish for is that rumored remake/sequel at this point

Top Bottom