• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Good to see this group back together! I think his chances for Ultimate are slim, but honestly I think he's still got a future ahead of him if we can stir up enough support. I think back to Disney buying the rights back to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit after 80+ years for Epic Mickey. Hopefully if doesn't take us that long to get Nintendo-owned Geno, but I guess we'll see what happens! :laugh:
The issue is, Nintendo doesn't actually gain anything from buying Geno so it'll probably never happen. The only way I see Nintendo owning Geno is if they buy the rights to SMRPG for some reason, which they could do, but would probably have done it a long time ago if it was really something they were interested in.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The issue is, Nintendo doesn't actually gain anything from buying Geno so it'll probably never happen. The only way I see Nintendo owning Geno is if they buy the rights to SMRPG for some reason, which they could do, but would probably have done it a long time ago if it was really something they were interested in.
Why not buy more characters then, like the Smithy Gang and Smithy, and maybe the higher authority Geno serves? That way, Geno could have more to interact than if he did if Nintendo brought him alone and could have more of a purpose.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
While it's not impossible that they do one day (I mean, the Oswald the Lucky Rabbid is a perfect example of never say never) I would lie if I said that I haven´t somewhat lost hope in it at this point. I mean, they go out of their way to get a cameo (that is removed in the remake) but that´s it?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, you have a point. Wants the point of buying Geno where Nintendo could just buy the whole SMRPG IP and all it's characters. They wouldn't use Geno that much if the just bought him and nothing else from SMRPG I imagine.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
I mean, you have a point. Wants the point of buying Geno where Nintendo could just buy the whole SMRPG IP and all it's characters. They wouldn't use Geno that much if the just bought him and nothing else from SMRPG I imagine.
I feel like if they were going to do either, they would have done it a while ago. Why buy it now, almost thirty years later after it's only installment released, when they've had plenty of opportunities to before? Well, it's more likely then them just buying Geno, I guess. You could bring up Oswald here, I suppose, but even then the situations are sort of different. Well, all we can do is wish upon a star. (Get it? ;))

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like if they were going to do either, they would have done it a while ago. Why buy it now, almost thirty years later after it's only installment released, when they've had plenty of opportunities to before? Well, it's more likely then them just buying Geno, I guess. You could bring up Oswald here, I suppose, but even then the situations are sort of different. Well, all we can do is wish upon a star. (Get it? ;))
Nintendo had the chance to buyout Rare 20 years ago and they didn't. So it doesn't surprise me they ain't even giving the SMRPG IP a train of thought.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo had the chance to buyout Rare 20 years ago and they didn't. So it doesn't surprise me they ain't even giving the SMRPG IP a train of thought.
Unrelated to Geno, but I'm surprised Nintendo didn't buy Rare all that time ago. They were responsible for an amazing library that I'm sure sold well, and Nintendo even letting them use DK for the Country games and 64, and Star Fox. Maybe they didn't like where the company was going or something maybe? Back to Mario RPG now.

It doesn't surprise me either, but like I said, I feel like they would've bought it a while ago regardless. I doubt Square has a big price for it, since they haven't used the IP since the game, but then again they are Square Enix.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Unrelated to Geno, but I'm surprised Nintendo didn't buy Rare all that time ago. They were responsible for an amazing library that I'm sure sold well, and Nintendo even letting them use DK for the Country games and 64, and Star Fox. Maybe they didn't like where the company was going or something maybe? Back to Mario RPG now.

It doesn't surprise me either, but like I said, I feel like they would've bought it a while ago regardless. I doubt Square has a big price for it, since they haven't used the IP since the game, but then again they are Square Enix.
Well, for starts, Nintendo wasn't doing as well in the N64 era since most of their 3rd party partners from the NES and SNES eras just jump ship to the PS1 because of the cheaper production cost of discs. Nintendo kept on with carts for the N64 and carts were a lot more expensive to produce and they had less memory. So Nintendo invested a lot of their money on Rare's games at the time since they were co partners who had a steak in the company and Rare was losing a lot of money developing all these blockbusters hits for Nintendo on the N64 year after year. Nintendo bought more stock in Rare before the buyout because Nintendo was lending more and more money to Rare to produce all these games. So Nintendo letting Rare go and getting boughtout by Microsoft was probably them not wanting to lend anymore money to their projects. Yes, Rare's games were a success on the N64, but they didn't get produce without a cost. Somebody was going to buy them when they got bought and Nintendo decided they weren't going to be part of it. If not Microsoft, Activision would have probably gotten Rare.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
What you fail to see here is that, at the time, they had no reason to do so.

Paper Mario was a huge success, and Mario & Luigi was a big hit too. Add in that their flagship titles were doing just fine and that the J/RPG market, while booming for FF and a couple others as well, didn't matter for Nintendo because they had Pokemon and Dragon Quest.

Now that they have let both of those IPs fall so far and Nintendo's reigns are in the hands of someone who values developers and loves the SNES era, things could easily change. Look at where we are now: Pokemon is being forced to branch out and change more than it has in a long while and it still may not be enough, FF is exploding but the new titles aren't on Switch, RPGs of all sorts are starting to boom, bringing back old titles/localizing old titles has shown success, and single player experiences are at an all-time demand as a whole wave of gamers are sick of the 'live-services'. As of right now, Nintendo really doesn't have their own RPG to take their part of the pie, and they are the richest company in Japan so of course they want more pie.

Best way to do this?

Literally just repeat exactly what they did in 1996: Make a new RPG adventure that's actually good and actually plays like an RPG, feature beloved Mario characters and a quirky cast of characters, work with Square to bring back old faces to please the new generation and dig deeper into mechanics while still staying light enough for the kiddos. Mario still sells whatever he's slapped on to, and partnering with Square to bring back an old IP that many have been asking for for decades while keeping it fresh for new audiences will make a killing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but yet again I will add, Square is hard-catering to fans right now. Doing an official Nintendo/Square crossover would hype up fans of both companies and do wonders for Nintendo's PR.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I need to try that game out just once for the sake of it xD
Somebody also made a remaster of it, but you can still use some older options. Having game overs is useful to get out of a specific area when you don't have the proper item to progress. The game takes trade sequences to a whole new level, so I'd either check a walkthrough or disable that option. It also fixes the rupee designs so you can get used to the modern coloring schemes. I don't know of any other slice of life changes, though.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Nintendo buying Geno or even just partnering with Square to bring him back would be a hell of a longshot. There's nothing stopping them from continuing the Mario & Luigi series, making a Paper Mario that actually delivers on the RPG elements, or making a new RPG series. Or, what I think is the most likely outcome, continue on as they are, unfortunate though that may be. It's not like they'll be hurting if they don't make a Mario RPG. I'm also not really sure how keen they'd be on bringing Geno back when it would probably cost them less to just make another wooden/toy character, which also wouldn't be required to make an RPG anyway.

Of course, it's not impossible, and perhaps the disappointment over Geno's Mii costume has shown them how much support the character has. But I'd be surprised to see such a thing happen.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
What you fail to see here is that, at the time, they had no reason to do so.

Paper Mario was a huge success, and Mario & Luigi was a big hit too. Add in that their flagship titles were doing just fine and that the J/RPG market, while booming for FF and a couple others as well, didn't matter for Nintendo because they had Pokemon and Dragon Quest.

Now that they have let both of those IPs fall so far and Nintendo's reigns are in the hands of someone who values developers and loves the SNES era, things could easily change. Look at where we are now: Pokemon is being forced to branch out and change more than it has in a long while and it still may not be enough, FF is exploding but the new titles aren't on Switch, RPGs of all sorts are starting to boom, bringing back old titles/localizing old titles has shown success, and single player experiences are at an all-time demand as a whole wave of gamers are sick of the 'live-services'. As of right now, Nintendo really doesn't have their own RPG to take their part of the pie, and they are the richest company in Japan so of course they want more pie.

Best way to do this?

Literally just repeat exactly what they did in 1996: Make a new RPG adventure that's actually good and actually plays like an RPG, feature beloved Mario characters and a quirky cast of characters, work with Square to bring back old faces to please the new generation and dig deeper into mechanics while still staying light enough for the kiddos. Mario still sells whatever he's slapped on to, and partnering with Square to bring back an old IP that many have been asking for for decades while keeping it fresh for new audiences will make a killing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but yet again I will add, Square is hard-catering to fans right now. Doing an official Nintendo/Square crossover would hype up fans of both companies and do wonders for Nintendo's PR.
I see what you're getting at but I do disagree. If Nintendo wants to make a new Mario RPG, they don't need to buy the rights to the original game. They can't reuse any of the characters in the original game, but honestly they don't need to. When I say they'd benefit from owning the original game, that really only means they'd be able to include it in any future legacy offerings without needing to license the game from Square. But honestly, I don't think the licensing is expensive enough for this to be worth their while either.
Though I'm a tad confused, the last two paragraphs seem to argue against Nintendo buying the rights to the game from Square.
Also your point about Nintendo not have a piece of the RPG pie, is blatantly untrue, they have Xenoblade.
Why not buy more characters then, like the Smithy Gang and Smithy, and maybe the higher authority Geno serves? That way, Geno could have more to interact than if he did if Nintendo brought him alone and could have more of a purpose.
Again same issue as Geno alone, Nintendo don't actually need any of these characters, they don't profit off of them. If they made another RPG in a similar fashion but with an entirely original cast, it'd sell just as well as if they brought back characters from the original. It doesn't make them any money.
While it's not impossible that they do one day (I mean, the Oswald the Lucky Rabbid is a perfect example of never say never) I would lie if I said that I haven´t somewhat lost hope in it at this point. I mean, they go out of their way to get a cameo (that is removed in the remake) but that´s it?
Oswald is the perfect example here, as it's a very similar situation. But this is Disney, they are significantly richer than Nintendo and also Oswald has popped up in other stuff since anyway.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Of course there is going to be a Odyssey 2 before the Switch's life cycle ends.
I will remember this... you seem pretty confident considering there's zero evidence pointing toward it. I would hope if they're making something it's more like Bowser's Fury than the same old formula.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I will remember this... you seem pretty confident considering there's zero evidence pointing toward it. I would hope if they're making something it's more like Bowser's Fury than the same old formula.
BOTW2 is a thing so I'm confident Nintendo will make Odyssey 2.

Dan

Smash Lord
It would be sort of weird to see them revisit it after making something as experimental and successful as Bowser's Fury but I wouldn't put it past them to do something so foolish.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It would be sort of weird to see them revisit it after making something as experimental and successful as Bowser's Fury but I wouldn't put it past them to do something so foolish.
When a title becomes extremely successful, the idea of a sequel has to happen as it prints money.

Dan

Smash Lord
Nintendo has plenty of money. They don't want any. They don't do simple things like put classic games on the Switch eShop which would be an absolutely effortless way to print money. I will gladly eat my words, but it doesn't need to happen. ****, we're on a Smash Bros. site and Sakurai himself said he hates the idea of people expecting sequels to popular games.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Nintendo has plenty of money. They don't want any. They don't do simple things like put classic games on the Switch eShop which would be an absolutely effortless way to print money. I will gladly eat my words, but it doesn't need to happen. ****, we're on a Smash Bros. site and Sakurai himself said he hates the idea of people expecting sequels to popular games.
this is why emulator is our hero and how i played games such as SMRPG and Joy mech fight and Teleroboxer no need to pay anything or wait for something

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
But doesn't nintendo take down emulators?
They don’t take down emulators, legally I don’t think they can unless it’s an emulator that uses Nintendo’s code (most that I know of don’t). They only go after the roms of the games themselves.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But doesn't nintendo take down emulators?
I don't know. But like TheCJBrine TheCJBrine already said, they go after roms mainly rom hacks that gain a lot of traction and attention like Legacy XP, SM64: Last Impact, The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link, ect. Nintendo doesn't want people to make big rom hacks with their games nether do they want people to illegally download and play roms of their games on the Internet for free as even if you already have a physical copy of said games they still consider it as pirating and taking money from them.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't know. But like TheCJBrine TheCJBrine already said, they go after roms mainly rom hacks that gain a lot of traction and attention like Legacy XP, SM64: Last Impact, The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link, ect. Nintendo doesn't want people to make big rom hacks with their games nether do they want people to illegally download and play roms of their games on the Internet for free as even if you already have a physical copy of said games they still consider it as pirating and taking money from them.
The fact that we don´t have a proper VC on Switch yet is beyond me. Especially when they clearly have no problem in re-releasing games from the Wii and Wii U era (granted, some of them are remastered, but you get my point)

Edit - Only Nintendo is making a major update to a 2½ old game, where the update is a mode that people asked for in the first place instead of doing a improved sequel https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni...teAnnouncement|o1|m_id_6ayf2KVp4L|1388641|w18

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fact that we don´t have a proper VC on Switch yet is beyond me. Especially when they clearly have no problem in re-releasing games from the Wii and Wii U era (granted, some of them are remastered, but you get my point)

Edit - Only Nintendo is making a major update to a 2½ old game, where the update is a mode that people asked for in the first place instead of doing a improved sequel https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni...teAnnouncement|o1|m_id_6ayf2KVp4L|1388641|w18
To be honest, I dislike the Switch Online conspect as once the Switch's online servers go down someday, so will all the games on it. Nintendo was thinking backwards by getting rid of the Virtual Console in favor of this. We the fans should be able to own and play our digital Retro games after a console's online servers are down so that we can farther preserve some of these classics into the future. But it looks like Nintendo is taking a step at a time putting greater control over their games and IPs. Nintendo in some ways is slowly becoming like the Disney of video games. Both are the pioneers of their industries, both are some of the richest companies on the planet, both are very protective of their IPs, ect, ect. I love Nintendo and their games, but they're slowly becoming greeder with barely releasing new titles for most of their IPs outside of Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Kirby. Every other franchise might get a new game or two a decade and some ports whe the franchises I mentioned above are getting like a dozen new games a decade.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Every other franchise might get a new game or two a decade and some ports whe the franchises I mentioned above are getting like a dozen new games a decade.
Here is the unfortunate point though going back on the whole "loud fanbases". People were so adamant that a new Kid Icarus would sell gangbuster and that Nintendo was dumb that they did not do one. Then comes Kid Icarus Uprising on their major success 3DS and it underperformed/flopped. So in their eyes, it might not be worth doing... let say another Earthbound, Star Fox, or F-Zero because they feel that the fanbase is louder than what it is larger. People need to vote with their wallets if they want Nintendo to continue with the franchise. Does Metroid Prime 4 underperform, then say goodbye to 3d Metroid because that ain´t happening anymore then? If that rumored Golden Sun really is happening, then you better support it, or the franchise is dead yet again.

The Pikmin franchise got lucky because they had a simple port that they could easily adapt for Switch that ended up being successful.

Heck, had Fire Emblem Awakening not sold as good as it did, Fire Emblem would be dead as well right now.

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Here is the unfortunate point though going back on the whole "loud fanbases". People were so adamant that a new Kid Icarus would sell gangbuster and that Nintendo was dumb that they did not do one. Then comes Kid Icarus Uprising on their major success 3DS and it underperformed/flopped. So in their eyes, it might not be worth doing... let say another Earthbound, Star Fox, or F-Zero because they feel that the fanbase is louder than what it is larger. People need to vote with their wallets if they want Nintendo to continue with the franchise. Does Metroid Prime 4 underperform, then say goodbye to 3d Metroid because that ain´t happening anymore then? If that rumored Golden Sun really is happening, then you better support it, or the franchise is dead yet again.

The Pikmin franchise got lucky because they had a simple port that they could easily adapt for Switch that ended up being successful.

Heck, had Fire Emblem Awakening not sold as good as it did, Fire Emblem would be dead as well right now.
This is what makes me so happy that pikmin 3 deluxe is selling so well. I like pikmin alot more than most people so I hope that with pikmin 3 deluxes success and that new pikmin ar mobile game that they will start to focus on pikmin 4.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This is what makes me so happy that pikmin 3 deluxe is selling so well. I like pikmin alot more than most people so I hope that with pikmin 3 deluxes success and that new pikmin ar mobile game that they will start to focus on pikmin 4.
With people being outside more then ever, I think it will be a hit

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

That's at least good to hear, i hate thinking about the idea of Nintendo being a greedy company and being parodied similar to what South Park did to Disney, If all goes super well with them then nintendo might balance out so many franchises on their hands.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

But what about DKC? Retro has only made 2 DKC games in the past decade and despite Rare being gone from Nintendo for almost over 20 years now, DKC is still in the top 5 overall best selling Nintendo franchises even over more relevant franchises like Fire Emblem and Kirby. Returns and Tropical Freeze have sold over several million units each so DKC should be given more attention from Nintendo as it's a cash cow they have been sleeping on since Rare left.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
But what about DKC? Retro has only made 2 DKC games in the past decade and despite Rare being gone from Nintendo for almost over 20 years now, DKC is still in the top 5 overall best selling Nintendo franchises even over more relevant franchises like Fire Emblem and Kirby. Returns and Tropical Freeze have sold over several million units each so DKC should be given more attention from Nintendo as it's a cash cow they have been sleeping on since Rare left.
The main problem is that they cant seem to find a stable developer for the dkc games. Rare is owned by Microsoft and the guys who made tropical freeeze are working on metroid prime 4. They just need to find somebody who can constantly focus on dk games.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The main problem is that they cant seem to find a stable developer for the dkc games. Rare is owned by Microsoft and the guys who made tropical freeeze are working on metroid prime 4. They just need to find somebody who can constantly focus on dk games.
Pretty much.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thing is, Nintendo should let a in house studio of their's work on the DKC series since DK is one of Miyamoto's babies afterall.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Thing is, Nintendo should let a in house studio of their's work on the DKC series since DK is one of Miyamoto's babies afterall.
What inhouse studio do they even have that is not busy with something else right now?
Retro Studio is making Metroid Prime

Next Level Games is more than likely doing LM4 and potentially helping out Retro with MP4

Ncube is more than likely working on a new Mario Party (with the job listing hiring for more staff)

Monolith Soft is working on their new IP and Breath of The Wild with Nintendo

Then their prime studio is working on Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Mario, and Zelda.

Is there any company left that they can assign DK to? They don´t own Hal, but even if they did they want their focus to be on Kirby for them.,

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
What inhouse studio do they even have that is not busy with something else right now?

Next Level Games is more than likely doing LM4 and potentially helping out Retro with MP4

Ncube is more than likely working on a new Mario Party (with the job listing hiring for more staff)

Then their prime studio is working on Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Mario, and Zelda.

Is there any company left that they can assign DK to? They don´t own Hal, but even if they did they want their focus to be on Kirby for them.,
I don't think Nintendo owns Retro. But honestly, Retro is a big-ish studio and we don't know what they were working on prior to MP4. It could be DK.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't think Nintendo owns Retro. But honestly, Retro is a big-ish studio and we don't know what they were working on prior to MP4. It could be DK.
Nintendo has owned Retro Studios since 2002. and according to Nate The Hate (a well-known leaker on resetera) they have been a support team since the release of DKTF prior to the restart of MP4

Also, I wouldn´t call 81 employees a big studio. Gamefreak is bigger than that.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
here is an idea you should probably prepare if you are going to buy Miitopia when it gets released on switch make sure to make a Smithy Mii for the tank class its a perfect match if you are looking for good character to take on that job

if you are looking for the reference to do it then here i have a collection including Smithy

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

If not a in house Nintendo studio, Retro should stick with making the DKC games. But they need to start pumping them out faster though. I know they have their hands full with Metroid Prime 4's development and all but still. Miyamoto once said Retro can work on two games at once. The time should be now to show that.

Top Bottom