• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
This is super straw man, but, from what I’ve been reading, there is no more planned DLC after the next two DLC in fighter pass two.

Would that exclude if there was a bonus character already made that will be released during the passes run or along side one of the characters?

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I dont see what the big deal is with geno and the smash ballot. I mean yeah his fanbase might not have been as active back then but I'm sure if hes popular enough to get a mii costume AND have sakurai specifically mention how popular he is then hes eligible for an actual fighter. Wouldnt make sense to talk about how popular he is if he wasn't getting much attention around the time.

Remember we don't know how well he did on the smash ballot. Users on smashboards and stuff dont accurately display how many people were voting for geno. I voted for geno in the smash ballot and that was before I even knew smash boards existed.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Honestly I dont see what the big deal is with geno and the smash ballot. I mean yeah his fanbase might not have been as active back then but I'm sure if hes popular enough to get a mii costume AND have sakurai specifically mention how popular he is then hes eligible for an actual fighter. Wouldnt make sense to talk about how popular he is if he wasn't getting much attention around the time.

Remember we don't know how well he did on the smash ballot. Users on smashboards and stuff dont accurately display how many people were voting for geno. I voted for geno in the smash ballot and that was before I even knew smash boards existed.
I was about to say just that.

R RetrogamerMax If you argue that tallied evidence of what a alot of Japanese Smash players wanted during Smash 4 can't be used as solid evidence, then neither can going back and seeing how active Geno support was on a single website Staarih Staarih , and honestly the poll I brought up is actually much more credible.

Facts are facts, and the facts are that Geno was a big enough deal to get both a costume and to be talked about my Sakurai in an interview, in which he said he still gets a lot of requests. Now, I have to ask you something.

If Geno did absolutely trash-tier in the Ballot, why did Sakurai say he gets a lot of requests? Wouldn't that be proof of the opposite? Why would you put in a costume of a character that is so niche if almost no one wanted him?

You wouldn't. Geno's costume is proof of our dedication, just remember that. If we hadn't shown our desire and love for him enough around that time, we probably would have gotten a Crono costume or something. Sure, our social media presence at the time may have been weak, unlike K. Rool, but we still came around in enough numbers to be noticed.

Also, about that Japanese Source Gaming Poll... I NEED to stress that it wasn't an ACTUAL voting poll, but the author going around various social media platforms in Japanese Smash communities and seeing who they were talking about and who they wanted, and tallied it up as such. Thus, Geno was talked about THAT much in Japanese social media before Roy's reveal.

That's basically a counter-point to what you guys have been saying, which is that Geno fans were dead in the Smash 4 Era, which clearly isn't true. Remember that the US push for Geno has been consistently bigger than the Japanese push for him. Like I said, we MAY not have been active here on Smashboards, but we could have been active other places, and signs of social media activity =/= votes in the Ballot.

Y'all need to understand we are in a very good situation here.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Well, the Smash Ballot influenced some of Ultimate's newcomer selection as well as potentially being the reason every veteran was brought back.

I was about to say just that.

R RetrogamerMax If you argue that tallied evidence of what a alot of Japanese Smash players wanted during Smash 4 can't be used as solid evidence, then neither can going back and seeing how active Geno support was on a single website Staarih Staarih , and honestly the poll I brought up is actually much more credible.

Facts are facts, and the facts are that Geno was a big enough deal to get both a costume and to be talked about my Sakurai in an interview, in which he said he still gets a lot of requests. Now, I have to ask you something.

If Geno did absolutely trash-tier in the Ballot, why did Sakurai say he gets a lot of requests? Wouldn't that be proof of the opposite? Why would you put in a costume of a character that is so niche if almost no one wanted him?

You wouldn't. Geno's costume is proof of our dedication, just remember that. If we hadn't shown our desire and love for him enough around that time, we probably would have gotten a Crono costume or something. Sure, our social media presence at the time may have been weak, unlike K. Rool, but we still came around in enough numbers to be noticed.

Also, about that Japanese Source Gaming Poll... I NEED to stress that it wasn't an ACTUAL voting poll, but the author going around various social media platforms in Japanese Smash communities and seeing who they were talking about and who they wanted, and tallied it up as such. Thus, Geno was talked about THAT much in Japanese social media before Roy's reveal.

That's basically a counter-point to what you guys have been saying, which is that Geno fans were dead in the Smash 4 Era, which clearly isn't true. Remember that the US push for Geno has been consistently bigger than the Japanese push for him. Like I said, we MAY not have been active here on Smashboards, but we could have been active other places, and signs of social media activity =/= votes in the Ballot.

Y'all need to understand we are in a very good situation here.
Still though, support for Geno in Ultimate was mucg bigger than support for Geno in Smash 4 even if he did well in the Smash Ballot. I'm sure Isaac and Krystal did well in the Ballot because they got Assist Trophies. But they certainly didn't do as well as Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie because those characters ended up being playable.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Regarding the ballot it’s important to mention that what Sakurai has said during the Cloud presentation that he was the most requested Final fantasy character not the most requested Square-enix characters as for Bayonetta she was regarded as the most requested among the realizable character which basically means there are more characters that were voted more than them but has been passed over some which we have seen as mii costumes such as :ultkrool::ultinkling::ultchrom::ultisabelle: and had to wait for the next installment to be playable alongside :ultridley::ultsteve::ultbanjokazooie:
Pretty sure Geno has done a good job on the ballot but the main issue is Square-Enix interest that was holding him back to this day think about it he has always been requested higher than :ulthero3::ultsephiroth::ultcloud: in the whole smash community

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Regarding the ballot it’s important to mention that what Sakurai has said during the Cloud presentation that he was the most requested Final fantasy character not the most requested Square-enix characters as for Bayonetta she was regarded as the most requested among the realizable character which basically means there are more characters that were voted more than them but has been passed over some which we have seen as mii costumes such as :ultkrool::ultinkling::ultchrom::ultisabelle: and had to wait for the next installment to be playable alongside :ultridley::ultsteve::ultbanjokazooie:
Pretty sure Geno has done a good job on the ballot but the main issue is Square-Enix interest that was holding him back to this day think about it he has always been requested higher than :ulthero3::ultsephiroth::ultcloud: in the whole smash community
See, this is what I'm trying to say.

Geno is the most-requested Square character for Smash from the Smash community.

Every other character we've gotten thus far are characters that represent the mass-popularity that Square has. This is why I say Sora is the only thing in Geno's way, as no other franchise they have can really rival him in terms of mainstream vs our demand.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
See, this is what I'm trying to say.

Geno is the most-requested Square character for Smash from the Smash community.

Every other character we've gotten thus far are characters that represent the mass-popularity that Square has. This is why I say Sora is the only thing in Geno's way, as no other franchise they have can really rival him in terms of mainstream vs our demand.
I'm not sure how he's in Geno's way; they're owned by different companies, so it seems like including Sora would be Disney's call rather than Square-Enix's.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how he's in Geno's way; they're owned by different companies, so it seems like including Sora would be Disney's call rather than Square-Enix's.
Doesn't Square publish the KH games though? Sure, Disney might be slightly involved, but I'm pretty sure Square owns KH. (I think?)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Doesn't Square publish the KH games though? Sure, Disney might be slightly involved, but I'm pretty sure Square owns KH. (I think?)
They develop the Kingdom Hearts games, but as far as I can tell, anything that isn't specifically listed in the copyright section at the start of each KH game is owned by Disney, including the original characters.

Here's the copyright info from the original game, for example:

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
That Japan pie chart is 100% useless... it's cool, but there are an astronomically insane amount of people who voted in the Smash ballot who didn't vote in that.

Also, I feel like Geno was way more popular Brawl era than Sm4sh.

Geno and Isaac fans just wasn't loud enough during the most critical hour.
I'm guilty of this. I voted for Ridley, and felt he, K. Rool and Banjo deserved it more than Geno (even though I have more of a connection to Geno and SMRPG than any of the aforementioned characters); he would be amazing, but Ridley needed to be in Smash.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
That Japan pie chart is 100% useless... it's cool, but there are an astronomically insane amount of people who voted in the Smash ballot who didn't vote in that.

I'm guilty of this. I voted for Ridley, and felt he, K. Rool and Banjo deserved it more than Geno (even though I have more of a connection to Geno and SMRPG than any of the aforementioned characters); he would be amazing, but Ridley needed to be in Smash.
Smash 4 kind of took a dip regarding Geno but he was still as requested/popular as the likes of Banjo or K.Rool. Ridley was the stand out juggernaut who stayed around the conversation mainly due to the meme of being too big. The ballot helped Geno's case and definitely Sephiroth so you could say it was a bit of a resurgence.

I still think Geno was popular enough to stick around and be in the conversation which says a lot. The more I think about it, the more I have to wonder if Smash Bros never got as big as it did, would Geno even have a chance to even appear as a Mii Costume? Because while I complain about Smash becoming too big for a character like Geno or Waddle Dee to stand on their own, would Square Enix even be interested if the franchise was still in the position it was with Melee and Brawl?

At some point, we are going to get Geno and Mallow returning to another game. Whether it be a nostalgic cash grab or if someone at Nintendo genuinely cares about it's fans for once. I feel like someday it will happen. Sadly it isn't right now, but the best we can do for now is not let toxic clout chasers put us down for just liking a character.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

During the ballot time I thought of voting for other characters which we know wanted to see but I completely dismissed it for a very important reason and let all my votes be on Geno only.
Compared to :ultridley: :ultkrool: :ultbanjokazooie: These characters were not held hostage over the years and we have all see them during the modern era of gaming

the fact that Microsoft were open Banjo brought smile to the whole smash community that he is gonna it in at some point in the future so it was guaranteed that if Nintendo ever approach them for smash them it will be for Banjo before anything else.

King K. Rool is Nintendo character while he hasn’t played a role in years he was still capable of coming back any time.

Ridley was a boss during that time but he is still alive in Metroid pretty much coming back as always so even without smash he is pretty much gonna stay alive.

I will also say Waluigi while some people claim that he is a rejected character by Sakurai and that deserves more love he is pretty much alive and going to disappear and can play as him in a lot of games.

now I talked about those we all now have to understand the value of Geno as he is being held hostage for 25 years by square-enix even though Nintendo had multiple collaboration with square-Enix yet no SMRPG were included and let’s learn about history regarding SMRPG and what caused its death which was square-enix switching to Sony ended up having so much of the original SMRPG developers to be separated and now some of them working in alphadream and some in onion games and some remained in square-enix and some switched to paper Mario developers and this a complicated situation and was a complete mess causing SMRPG to sink. The value of having Geno smash is to preserve the SMRPG history and it’s existance as the only possible to have Geno or SMRPG content make an appearance again was in a game where the director does look into the suggestion and it had to be a Nintendo game that is able to feature 3rd parties in them and smash is the only perfect choice for that to make it possible as so far even Mario hoops and sport mix and fortune streets was proven to be useless as they don’t look into the community suggestions. What we learned from smash that bringing back dead series or characters was possible and has been done multiple times so it’s the perfect opportunity to get Geno into this as that’s the only way that could give SMRPG a 2nd chance to live on even with no new SMRPG game or future, smash is the game that could pretty much preserve him alongside :ultfalcon::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultlucas::ultness::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers: Even for the future SMRPG will stay alive in smash series.
But all what we need is breaking the barrier of square-enix interest so we have something other than just a cameo.

Me casting the vote fully for Geno during the ballot means:
1 Geno vote = 1 Hope for a 2nd chance for SMRPG
:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultridley: All deserved to be in smash but their future and their existence does not depends on smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultridley: All deserved to be in smash but their future and their existence does not depends on smash.
Ridley didn't, but K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie certainly did. Read this about K. Rool from Hyle Russell:

The higher ups at NoJ were pretty much trying to bury K. Rool until they found out his amazing performance in the Smash Ballot. The Ballot saved K. Rool from potentially dying forever.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Ridley didn't, but K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie certainly did. Read this about K. Rool from Hyle Russell:

The higher ups at NoJ were pretty much trying to bury K. Rool until they found out his amazing performance in the Smash Ballot. The Ballot saved K. Rool from potentially dying forever.
Wow I didn’t know about this part as I was sent to military for a month during the time when this was posted and didn’t even see the smash trailer of King K. Rool in time.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Facts are facts here, and the fact remains that while Disney owns all the original KH content (used to be only Sora, I think they do own all or most of it now), Disney doesn't make the games: Square does.

Therefore, both Disney AND Square have to be on board for this to happen, and Disney specifically requires Nomura's blessing before they do anything with the character. Square has to be there so that the character is properly referenced and mechanics work like they should from past titles. What if Sakurai wanted to include Donald and Goofy in Sora's kit? Well Disney needs to be there to approve of the designs as well as likely provide VAs, but Square needs to make sure they function as they would in the game correctly and give advice. What if Sakurai wanted to use Flowmotion or the Drive Forms in Sora's kit? Well, Square would need to be there to make sure they functioned accurately and were properly represented.

In other words, Disney needs to be the one to say yes and check a bunch of things on their list to make sure they happen, and Square needs to be there through the design process.

Sora is a Square-made, Disney-owned character. He also has MASSIVE popularity, what with a whole giant group of people who didn't play Final Fantasy learning about it through Kingdom Hearts and people just falling in love with him despite of him being a bland protagonist. THAT is why he is competition for Geno: he's still a Square character, even if Disney needs to be involved, and he would appeal to a much wider audience. As you can see, this has already happened three times before, which is why I even bring it up. It could happen again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Well dang, it certainly has been some time. I ended up taking a break from here and had no idea another thread was made! How’s everyone been?
I'm Good, I have a feeling i've recovered from total vaccine side effect syndrome but not the stingy negativity trying to effect my liking towards media.

Though in other words, I'm Good.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Chaos as usual
Not exactly. It isn't as active as it use to be but that's understandable. I'm just speculating what exactly is the best route to move forward since Smash doesn't seem like an immediate future for Geno. But I do think if we continue to show our support and grow general interest in a respectful way, we can most definitely do it.

I'm not any less of a Geno fan now that he isn't in the game and I'd still like him in Smash Bros. And if fair weather Smash fans PlantFan420 and SteveFan2011 are still upset over that next game, I'm not sure what to tell them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Not exactly. It isn't as active as it use to be but that's understandable. I'm just speculating what exactly is the best route to move forward since Smash doesn't seem like an immediate future for Geno. But I do think if we continue to show our support and grow general interest in a respectful way, we can most definitely do it.

I'm not any less of a Geno fan now that he isn't in the game and I'd still like him in Smash Bros. And if fair weather Smash fans PlantFan420 and SteveFan2011 are still upset over that next game, I'm not sure what to tell them.
This ain’t it, Chief.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

He was talking on how everyone has been. I said chaos as usual because that´s my life in a nutshell

Dan

Smash Lord

Man, I sure hope this points heavily toward K. Rool returning as the antagonist in the heavily-rumored 3D DK game. For those not in the know, someone with an insane amount of credibility (like predicting the Arceus game and much more) says a 3D DK game is coming from Nintendo EPD. Mario Golf was leaked to hell and back before its reveal, and this pretty much feels the same; it has to be happening with like 99.99% certainty.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I remember someone did say that Geno would probably need a SMRPG remake or sequel if he is to make it in next Smash game. I understand his case is a bit different, but now that we are talking about King K. Rool from Donkey Kong Country, would Geno need such games to get in? I mean, he did not appear for a long time after that Mario baseball thing, and did not appear in either Donkey Kong Country sequels for the Wii and Wii U (though I hear he was going to appear in the Switch version of Tropical Freeze), and yet he made a comeback in Smash Bros Ultimate without having recent appearance before then. Like I said, Geno is a bit different, but I don't think he needs a SMRPG remake or sequel to get into the next Smash game.

QQS

Smash Lord
Im rooting for Crash at E3. I also want Hayabusa and another Sonic rep (I prefer Tails between the real possibilities, but Eggman is totally fine).

On the other hand, I do believe there are more characters planned, whether as Bonus or FP3. That said, I believe Geno and Waluigi can perfectly be bonus with maybe a couple of songs and no stage. Hope this happen. Hope Ultimate doesn’t end without Geno playable. I think there is nothing done yet, as long as they keep releasing characters, in spite of Geno being costumed again. Who says Geno can’t be playable in this Smash because he has been costumed in this game. I know KKR for example got costumed in Sm4sh and later become playable in Ultimate. I know who KKR is and the situation is different because, c’mon, it’s KKR, my first ever game when I was a child back in 1995, with 5 years old. But don’t come at me with invented rules.

Sakurai (better said, Nintendo) do what they want. I’m not saying Geno is definitely IN; I’m just saying he is definitely NOT gone.

One day our boy will reborn, whether in Smash Ultímate, the next Smash, SMRPG sequel, SMRPG remake; and 100% in SMRPG for NSO, that’s last one it’s just a matter of time.

Last but not least, as long as we the fans keep Geno alive through Fan Art and memories, Geno will remain more alive than ever.

One day my friends, Geno will:

COME HOME!

59496249-CEB2-47BA-A3E8-4976816F1958.jpeg

*This time I don’t know who the artist is. So I’m really sorry for that. Though, everyone here can agree that I never pretend to be the artist, cause I don’t even know how to paint decently hahaha

**: best wishes to all in your life!

***: Geno4Smash.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I remember someone did say that Geno would probably need a SMRPG remake or sequel if he is to make it in next Smash game. I understand his case is a bit different, but now that we are talking about King K. Rool from Donkey Kong Country, would Geno need such games to get in? I mean, he did not appear for a long time after that Mario baseball thing, and did not appear in either Donkey Kong Country sequels for the Wii and Wii U (though I hear he was going to appear in the Switch version of Tropical Freeze), and yet he made a comeback in Smash Bros Ultimate without having recent appearance before then. Like I said, Geno is a bit different, but I don't think he needs a SMRPG remake or sequel to get into the next Smash game.
The problem lies in this in that he is a third party in a problematic situation. Not only has he only arrived in one game, but he also released in a game which was the US and Japanese release only (why it never arrived in Europe I have no idea). For me, that lives in Sweden, I had never heard of the game until I found the game out of pure luck when I was about to download Mario Party 2 on Wii. King K Rool on the other hand, is a first-party character, and that alone makes him easier to use, but he also has been used a lot more exposure than Geno has had through official media. Had Geno been the first-party character, then I can guarantee you that he would be most likely been included in the base game for Ultimate at least. So I dare argue that there is... reason to belive that he would need a sequel or a remake for them to push him so to speak

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The problem lies in this in that he is a third party in a problematic situation. Not only has he only arrived in one game, but he also released in a game which was the US and Japanese release only (why it never arrived in Europe I have no idea). For me, that lives in Sweden, I had never heard of the game until I found the game out of pure luck when I was about to download Mario Party 2 on Wii. King K Rool on the other hand, is a first-party character, and that alone makes him easier to use, but he also has been used a lot more exposure than Geno has had through official media. Had Geno been the first-party character, then I can guarantee you that he would be most likely been included in the base game for Ultimate at leastö
Yeah, I figured I was missing something. Thanks for that. Still, while he is third party, getting him can't be that much harder, since Square Enix cooperated willingly with Sakurai and Nintendo with Cloud, Hero and Sephiroth. But, going by the time of the ballot and how the support for Geno was not that big back then apparently, I'd say there was not enough demand for him, third party or not, and by the time support grew for Geno during Ultimate, it was too late.

EDIT: Plus, even though he was in one game, I can imagine he could still get in even after one game and after such a long time.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, I figured I was missing something. Thanks for that. Still, while he is third party, getting him can't be that much harder, since Square Enix cooperated willingly with Sakurai and Nintendo with Cloud, Hero and Sephiroth. But, going by the time of the ballot and how the support for Geno was not that big back then apparently, I'd say there was not enough demand for him, third party or not, and by the time support grew for Geno during Ultimate, it was too late.
This is just me speculating, but I do wonder if sales of the DLC costume for Smash 4 have anything to do with it. What if they tested the water with the DLC costume in Smash 4 to see if there was truly a demand for him, but it didn´t sell enough for Nintendo is interested in taking their time and money to grab him for a character spot? I mean, we do have a large and passionate fanbase, but it could just be simply as Kid Icarus Uprising... people are loud, demanding a sequel and all that jazz, only for it to clearly underperform by Nintendos standards since there aren´t even talks of a port for the game. You see what I´m saying?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is just me speculating, but I do wonder if sales of the DLC costume for Smash 4 have anything to do with it. What if they tested the water with the DLC costume in Smash 4 to see if there was truly a demand for him, but it didn´t sell enough for Nintendo is interested in taking their time and money to grab him for a character spot? I mean, we do have a large and passionate fanbase, but it could just be simply as Kid Icarus Uprising... people are loud, demanding a sequel and all that jazz, only for it to clearly underperform by Nintendos standards since there aren´t even talks of a port for the game. You see what I´m saying?
That's a good possibility, actually. I think they went with the costume because they wanted to focus on a bigger character like Cloud first, though. Still, Sakurai said nothing about considering Geno for Ultimate yet, apparently. With that, I have one thing to say...

Unless Sakurai does say something about Geno not being considered tor this game, and unless he says something about Geno having a low chance in being playable in the next game, it ain't over until the fat lady sings.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That's a good possibility, actually. I think they went with the costume because they wanted to focus on a bigger character like Cloud first, though. Still, Sakurai said nothing about considering Geno for Ultimate yet, apparently. With that, I have one thing to say...

Unless Sakurai does say something about Geno not being considered tor this game, and unless he says something about Geno having a low chance in being playable in the next game, it ain't over until the fat lady sings.
I´m total with you on that. I´m just spitballing on why we are in the situation we are in right now.

Top Bottom