• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Well this is a nice surprise. With this thread back, I think the focus needs to be more geared towards seeing this character, and other SMRPG characters, in more Mario games. Hopefully that rumor for SMRPG remake/sequel is indeed happening, because that would help 1000%. I will certainly support Geno for Smash, but I feel that ship has sailed for this iteration.

D

Deleted member

So a new Nintendo Direct huh? But I’m excited!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I enjoy that this thread returns. I also accept the fact that Geno is forever cursed with coincidences as this thread comes back literally one day before a Direct announcement that has Smash news. With all these perplexing timing coincidences with Geno, you'd think he made friends with Crono.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
YO BOYS, WE BACK!

And just in time for the official return of Nintendo Directs as well!

Man, I didn't know what to do with myself since the original thread closed. I found it unreasonable and unfair that Geno's thread got closed, yet other disconfirmed characters' threads kept going. Thank you Megadoomer Megadoomer !

Now that we're back, let us continue forth with the hilarious memes, off-the-wall theory-crafting, and wild speculation!

LET'S GO GENO!

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
If people are letting others' theories and predictions make them mad, I'd say the theories aren't the ones instigating it.
And yet it's exactly this type of ostrich "head in the ground" behavior and denial that makes things escalate. It's a forum. It's a place where you post content publicly. The delusional "theories" will be judged just like you judged my post.There are consequences to posting things... And I say theories here rather generously, we all know a lot of people don't theorize out of facts but out of sheer feelings, which is in no way how theories work. So it's a thing to want and support a character, it's another to post about it relentlessly with nothing to back such fervent obstinate denial when a character gets costumed.

I guess this thread does have merits with how it can bring a community together. It's just sad that a lot of people on here make a cut difference between insiders and outsiders, and push for that Utopian idea that all the bad comes from elsewhere... In the end we're all Smash fans, mostly all wanting a larger roster with our favorites. There's no need to hold Geno or any other character over a higher pedestal, even less so just due to thread size.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
And yet it's exactly this type of ostrich "head in the ground" behavior and denial that makes things escalate. It's a forum. It's a place where you post content publicly. The delusional "theories" will be judged just like you judged my post.There are consequences to posting things... And I say theories here rather generously, we all know a lot of people don't theorize out of facts but out of sheer feelings, which is in no way how theories work. So it's a thing to want and support a character, it's another to post about it relentlessly with nothing to back such fervent obstinate denial when a character gets costumed.

I guess this thread does have merits with how it can bring a community together. It's just sad that a lot of people on here make a cut difference between insiders and outsiders, and push for that Utopian idea that all the bad comes from elsewhere... In the end we're all Smash fans, mostly all wanting a larger roster with our favorites. There's no need to hold Geno or any other character over a higher pedestal, even less so just due to thread size.
I never said theories couldn’t be judged, but people could do so respectfully.

Yes, some users could cause issues in the other thread and some of us probably saw stuff as “evidence” just because we thought it looked like it out of sheer hope/wanting Geno, but I think most of us aren’t doing what you’re suggesting. There were people who acted hostile to others over theories and other stuff without the theorist having to say anything but their theory/prediction or whatever else. Some people would make fun of us and other crap, treating us as a crazed cult.

But yeah, not all the bad was from elsewhere tbh. We really should’ve calmed down over trolls; heck a few people had a few others go at ‘em when they were genuine, and some hostile posts over the simplest things :S Some users did also take the “outsider/insider” approach unfortunately, though tbh I don’t blame the people who only got mad at those whom started off hostile and stuff in the first place...

Anyway, some of us also don’t think there’s good evidence or theories etc. since he’s been costumed, making him seem unlikely. There’s no harm in discussing stuff like maybe a third pass or a bonus, however, and if some people still think he could still happen this pass despite the costume, let ‘em; who cares lol, nothing worth throwing mud over. Why do we need “consequences” for videogame speculation posts, aside from any replies in general as consequences? Since when was that a bad thing? No matter how much of a stretch or “delusional” something is, no need to treat the person who made it as stupid and an outcast; not like they’re harming anybody ._.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
YO BOYS, WE BACK!

And just in time for the official return of Nintendo Directs as well!

Man, I didn't know what to do with myself since the original thread closed. I found it unreasonable and unfair that Geno's thread got closed, yet other disconfirmed characters' threads kept going. Thank you Megadoomer Megadoomer !

Now that we're back, let us continue forth with the hilarious memes, off-the-wall theory-crafting, and wild speculation!

LET'S GO GENO!

Also, no need to thank me specifically - it was a group decision, and I just agreed to post the thread.

I think that most people have accepted at this point that Geno being a Mii costume makes him unlikely, barring something like a third fighters pass being announced with Rex and Pyra as the first character in it - I just figure that there's no harm in letting people discuss the character. I'm hoping that a new thread (and a fresh start) will cut down on the whole perceived insider/outsider divide.

Last edited:

AkitoUF

Smash Rookie
Trolling/bait
Just let it go already. He's a mii costume, as much as I love the character, he's not on the same level as Cloud, Sephiroth, Banjo or Snake. Just accept it, it's not healthy. Move on. Be glad he got some acknowledgement as a costume, some characters aren't even getting that.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Just let it go already. He's a mii costume, as much as I love the character, he's not on the same level as Cloud, Sephiroth, Banjo or Snake. Just accept it, it's not healthy. Move on. Be glad he got some acknowledgement as a costume, some characters aren't even getting that.
No, I'm still holding on. He's not in FP2, but maybe later.

Reactions: QQS

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I can't speak for everyone here, but I am pretty sure a vast majority of us are over it already. It is what it is. However, just because Geno is a Mii Outfit does not mean we're not gonna support him. I will still support Geno no matter what his fate turns out to be. While Geno's chances for Ultimate is low, that doesn't mean I'm done supporting him just yet. I'll be done until he makes it in as a playable character, whenever that will be.

AkitoUF

Smash Rookie
No, I'm still holding on. He's not in FP2, but maybe later.
Are you that personally invested in a character being in Smash? Appearing in Smash isn't a validation of any kind. It means nothing, you can enjoy the character regardless.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A character having a Mii costume doesn't prevent them from having a support thread - it's not like Sans, Travis Touchdown, Heihachi, Rex, etc. stopped having support threads just because they got Mii costumes.

Do any of the other character support threads who are either spirited, mii costumed or assist trophy always have to deal with being called "unhealthy" or " advised" to "move on?" If not, why is Geno so special in that regard?
Because his fanbase has been around for a long time, I guess? I wasn't around much during the Smash 4 era, but I feel like if the Ridley thread for Smash 4 hadn't been closed, it likely would have been met with a similar response.

Last edited:

AkitoUF

Smash Rookie
A character having a Mii costume doesn't prevent them from having a support thread - it's not like Sans, Travis Touchdown, Heihachi, Rex, etc. stopped having support threads just because they got Mii costumes.

Because his fanbase has been around for a long time, I guess? I wasn't around much during the Smash 4 era, but I feel like if the Ridley thread for Smash 4 hadn't been closed, it likely would have been met with a similar response.
I mean sure, no one's stopping you from setting yourself to disappointment and unnecesary sadness. I'm just saying Geno's chances are absolute 0 now and probably will never get it. We gotta admit Geno is a side character from an SNES RPG Nintendo and Square are barely acknowledging. If we wanted Geno, then we should support characters like Tifa, Selan from Lufia, Grant from Castlevania or any secondary character. Just having a fanbase doesn't mean you deserve a spot.
Do the healthy thing and save yourself some psychological self harm. We don't need Geno in Smash to be happy, as I said, it means and validates nothing.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Are you that personally invested in a character being in Smash? Appearing in Smash isn't a validation of any kind. It means nothing, you can enjoy the character regardless.
You took the time and effort to post on a Smash bros forum in a character support thread to tell those present that they should give up on said character. I think the real question is, why are you so personally invested in us being personally invested? You don't know us and apparently have no pony in this race, so why bother making the effort to say so?

FYI, I come here for a few reasons:

1) I get bored at work.
2) I love Smash bros.
3) I really would like to see Geno and/or Isaac in Smash at some point in the future.
4) Threads like this are a safe haven for me to express my desires to get the likes of Geno in Smash without being hounded by doomsayers that insist my hopes and opinions are invalid.

Pretty reasonable motivations, wouldn't you say? And BTW, if the Banjo, Krool and Ridley threads had given up as easily as people like yourself would suggest, then we wouldn't have those characters in the game. Sometimes tenacity is the only weapon we have for making our hopes come true.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I mean sure, no one's stopping you from setting yourself to disappointment and unnecesary sadness. I'm just saying Geno's chances are absolute 0 now and probably will never get it. We gotta admit Geno is a side character from an SNES RPG Nintendo and Square are barely acknowledging. If we wanted Geno, then we should support characters like Tifa, Selan from Lufia, Grant from Castlevania or any secondary character. Just having a fanbase doesn't mean you deserve a spot.
Do the healthy thing and save yourself some psychological self harm. We don't need Geno in Smash to be happy, as I said, it means and validates nothing.
Most people seem to have accepted that, barring a third Fighters Pass reveal or someone like Rex and Pyra being promoted to playable, Geno's not going to be playable in Ultimate, but there's no harm in letting him have a support thread. If we closed support threads because the character didn't seem like they were going to be playable, then every single support thread for a character that's a Mii costume, assist trophy, or maybe even a post-launch spirit (depending on how you view those) would be closed, which seems excessive and limiting. Saying that wanting Geno in Smash (or having a support thread for him) is akin to psychological self-harm seems unnecessarily hostile.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No, because people let it happen, and it's happening again:

Geno thread member has scathing critique of the moderation of this thread or this website? That's a warning.
vs
Some ****head comes into this thread and delivers a totally "on topic" "not trolling" message of "lmao why is this open he's a costume give up" and they not only get out of jail free, but are replied to. By the moderators. As if they're not here on bad faith.

You're on a decent track by saying that if the Ridley thread hadn't been closed it would have been the same boat, yet you guys restarted this thread for what? To see it happen again? I get that this community is one of the only things that kept this website relevant but come on. This thread's a troll magnet and they're not necessarily well disguised, but to look at it, one would assume they must be.

Remember when I said lock this thread and throw away the key? I didn't think I'd need to add "and don't make a new door."

Firox

Smash Master
Most people seem to have accepted that, barring a third Fighters Pass reveal or someone like Rex and Pyra being promoted to playable, Geno's not going to be playable in Ultimate, but there's no harm in letting him have a support thread. (if we closed support threads because the character didn't seem like they were going to be playable, then every single support thread for a character that's a Mii costume, assist trophy, or even a post-launch spirit would be closed, which seems excessive and limiting) Saying that wanting Geno in Smash (or having a support thread for him) is akin to psychological self-harm seems unnecessarily hostile.
Not only do I concur with this, but would also like to add, as others have already said, that many of us are fully aware of the fact that Geno's chances are slim to none of getting into Ultimate as of now. However, that doesn't mean that he couldn't get in with a possible Fighter Pass 3 or perhaps get considered for the next Smash installment. In short, our efforts to support a given character does not necessarily mean we have unrealistic expectations or that we will be devastated to learn that his fate is something we're already well aware of. I, for one, have already made peace with the fact that Geno is pretty much toast for Smash in general, but that doesn't mean we have to stop trying to show Sakurai and Nintendo how much we want him. I mean, if Geno ends up having supporters literally 30 years after his debut, you honestly think Nintendo/SE won't at least start to wonder what they're missing?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The strange thing that that between the "supports a decades old character for Smash" fanbase and the "completely different Smash forum site that actually tracks members of said fanbase and routinely calls for thread raids" detractors, its the fanbase that gets painted as "unhealthy."

There's definitely a group that has what people would call an obsessed mentality towards Geno, and it ain't the supporters.

AkitoUF

Smash Rookie
"Our efforts"
Just wishing to a false hope isn't effort. I'm sure literally no one at Nintendo or Bamco are even aware of this and even if they were, just remember how stingy Square is. We were lucky to get Cloud and two midi songs.
I'm not a troll, I was in the same boat as you hoping for the same but then I realized how hurt I ended after each reveal and noticed I was doing this to myself.

Firox

Smash Master
The strange thing that that between the "supports a decades old character for Smash" fanbase and the "completely different Smash forum site that actually tracks members of said fanbase and routinely calls for thread raids" detractors, its the fanbase that gets painted as "unhealthy."

There's definitely a group that has what people would call an obsessed mentality towards Geno, and it ain't the supporters.
GDS - Geno Derangement Syndrome: The recurring urge to excessively gatekeep and police expectations for a fictional video game character getting into a video game crossover. Symptoms include faux sympathy and an inexplicable desire to "save" the fanbase from themselves. Others include irrational hatred, condescension, and insistence that everyone but the afflicted is delusional and bent on self-harm. Can be treated by minding one's own business and pursuing things that give the afflicted their own sense of joy and fulfillment without defecating on the hopes and happiness of others.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ayy, if there's a supporter list, throw me on there
You're already on there - it's in the first post, but it's spoiler-tagged for the sake of size. (there were 400+ people on that list, and that's without the legacy supporters from the previous thread)

No, because people let it happen, and it's happening again:

Geno thread member has scathing critique of the moderation of this thread or this website? That's a warning.
vs
Some ****head comes into this thread and delivers a totally "on topic" "not trolling" message of "lmao why is this open he's a costume give up" and they not only get out of jail free, but are replied to. By the moderators. As if they're not here on bad faith.

You're on a decent track by saying that if the Ridley thread hadn't been closed it would have been the same boat, yet you guys restarted this thread for what? To see it happen again? I get that this community is one of the only things that kept this website relevant but come on. This thread's a troll magnet and they're not necessarily well disguised, but to look at it, one would assume they must be.

Remember when I said lock this thread and throw away the key? I didn't think I'd need to add "and don't make a new door."
I've warned Akito's first post in the conversation for trolling/bait; I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, which is probably a fault of mine, but it seems pretty clear now (to me at least) that they're just here to stir up trouble or act like the fanbase has "false hope" just because a support thread exists.

Last edited:

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
The Geno thread is back!? Welcome back everybody!

I am waiting patiently for the Nintendo Direct!

"Our efforts"
Just wishing to a false hope isn't effort. I'm sure literally no one at Nintendo or Bamco are even aware of this and even if they were, just remember how stingy Square is. We were lucky to get Cloud and two midi songs.
I'm not a troll, I was in the same boat as you hoping for the same but then I realized how hurt I ended after each reveal and noticed I was doing this to myself.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.:laugh:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Geno thread is back!? Welcome back everybody!

I am waiting patiently for the Nintendo Direct!

Yo

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.:laugh:
Just a heads up that if you're posting back-to-back, you should edit anything new into your first post rather than double-posting. (I merged the posts together this time)

It's tough to be patient when it comes to Nintendo Directs, especially when it's been the first full one in over a year. Kind of silly that we're all so anxious/expectant about being advertised to, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom