• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

(On a side note what's everybody's thought on Master Chief getting in as DLC now
that Banjo made it?)
Metroid Prime 4 is supposedly happening sometime in the foreseeable future so in my opinion, a character who really, honest to God, is a Samus knockoff doesn't stand a chance. They already had to do the impossible to get Banjo from the clutches of Microsoft, so until Microsoft actually dips out of the console race (which they should have let's be honest) and stops being a direct competitor to Nintendo, it just isn't gonna happen. I hate to have nothing good to say about the guy but that's just how I feel.

Halo's fun.

Thanks! Crap, that feels so far away...
Here's a pro tip, just have something you don't want to happen fall on a date between now and the 12th, preferably the 11th. Rent due, work project, dentist appointment. It'll get here in the blink of an eye.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are you really that sure that Nightmare is number #5? Do you simply WANT Nightmare to be 5 or do you have any other evidence to suggest that? (honest question) Also, when exactly are the VGA's again?
I've made a lot of posts about Nightmare in the past couple of days. I have virtually no attachment to the character and the last time I played a Soul Calibur game was probably 2004. Logically, I think it makes a ton of sense. As for Verge:

-Technically hasn't gotten anything right about Smash since last August.

-Has had a horrible year altogether.

-Has fallen for not one, but two major cases of leakbait.

-Used to regularly beg Sabi to let him talk to the NoA source because he was regularly without good leads for Nintendo stuff.

-Has been hemorrhaging reliable sources since February because of Star Fox Grand Prix.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I've made a lot of posts about Nightmare in the past couple of days. I have virtually no attachment to the character and the last time I played a Soul Calibur game was probably 2004. Logically, I think it makes a ton of sense. As for Verge:

-Technically hasn't gotten anything right about Smash since last August.

-Has had a horrible year altogether.

-Has fallen for not one, but two major cases of leakbait.

-Used to regularly beg Sabi to let him talk to the NoA source because he was regularly without good leads for Nintendo stuff.

-Has been hemorrhaging reliable sources since February because of Star Fox Grand Prix.
Ok and what did Sabi got right in terms of Smash? He only got things wrong, for example Jonesy and Gordon. And dont tell us he was trolling lol. He was not trolling.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Ok and what did Sabi got right in terms of Smash? He only got things wrong, for example Jonesy and Gordon. And dont tell us he was trolling lol. He was not trolling.
Y’know it’s funny, someone yesterday made a similar claim and when confronted with this question they never followed up.

What has Sabi gotten wrong? Like, when has Sabi said “this is happening” and it didn’t?

D

Deleted member

I hate to speak for Fatman here but you're talking to a guy who was in a private discord with Sabi, seeing that they were getting legitimate information straight from a horse's mouth. On the outside, I agree with the idea that Sabi has been the equivalent of a fortune teller flipping over tarot cards and giving out non-specific predictions so that you can come back and say "wow you were absolutely right, something did happen that was vaguely related to what you said might!"

I've mentioned that Sabi has an attitude problem and, at some times, the PR skills of an ill behaved child, but it's a pretty safe bet that they get real information from a real inside source who is really putting their job on the line to talk to some "investigative video game journalist" (made up RPG classes for 100, Alex). Why? Because Fatman said he was there and either he has a very active imagination and is the most convincing liar in this thread or it all really happened, and I personally trust the guy.

Or, you can take the cop out answer "sAbI gOt a CeAsE aNd DeSiSt"

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think one of the four will happen.

>Single reveal: Nightmare and Nintendo hardcore teases DLC news coming soon
>Duel reveal: Nightmare/Lloyd
>Duel reveal: Nightmare/Ryu
>Triple reveal: Nightmare/do two reveals for post pass.
If a dual reveal happens, I think it'll have to be two separate trailer, not just because planning for #5's trailer almost certainly started as soon as the selections were finalized (meaning before additional DLC was given the clear), but I also doubt they'd advertise a Fighters Pass character alongside a character from outside the package, at least in such a closely knit nature. All that makes me pretty skeptical of a dual reveal, the VGA is likely already packed to the brim with trailers and other stuff, so I'm not sure if Smash can take up that much time, regardless of how big of a game it is.

They might well speak up about the additional DLC though, without giving too much away of course. Smash will be featured there, I think that much is basically guaranteed, so it's likely to be brought up in interviews at least, in which case I could see whoever goes there as Nintendo's representative give a statement similar to Reggie's "all characters are from series new to Smash".

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Metroid Prime 4 is supposedly happening sometime in the foreseeable future so in my opinion, a character who really, honest to God, is a Samus knockoff doesn't stand a chance. They already had to do the impossible to get Banjo from the clutches of Microsoft, so until Microsoft actually dips out of the console race (which they should have let's be honest) and stops being a direct competitor to Nintendo, it just isn't gonna happen. I hate to have nothing good to say about the guy but that's just how I feel.

Halo's fun.
I respectfully disagree.

1. Master Chief is a samus knockoff? Ok they are both similar in that they both wear full body armor and have some similar weapons. But if you are saying that Master Chief won't get in because he's too similar to Samus, that is wrong (I apologize in advance if this is not what you are saying). He has a shield, energy guns, long range rifles, chainguns, energy sword, grenades, hammer, etc. More than enough weapons to make an interesting and unique moveset.

2. Yes, Microsoft being a competitor does hurt Chief's chances. But the thing is that they are not 100% a direct competitor. They see what the Switch is and recognize that it has its own market. Hence why they ported games like Cuphead and Ori over to the Switch because it won't directly hurt their sales. Admittedly these are slightly older indie games and not huge exclusives like Halo and Forza, but it shows how close Microsoft and Nintendo are. If it wasn't for the fact that Master Chief hasn't been on a Nintendo console before, I think he would have a real shot and if Nintendo went to Microsoft and asked for him, I think Microsoft would agree because Master Chief is iconic so he would generate a lot of sales from DLC and would generate more interest in Halo.

3. I don't understand what you mean by "had to do the impossible to get Banjo from the clutches of Microsoft". Again, Microsoft and Nintendo have a friendly relationship despite being console manufacturers and Phil Spencer literally said it was a very easy decision to let Banjo in Smash. So I don't see why you are making it seem like it was such a hard thing to do.

D

Deleted member

If a dual reveal happens, I think it'll have to be two separate trailer, not just because planning for #5's trailer almost certainly started as soon as the selections were finalized (meaning before additional DLC was given the clear), but I also doubt they'd advertise a Fighters Pass character alongside a character from outside the package, at least in such a closely knit nature. All that makes me pretty skeptical of a dual reveal, the VGA is likely already packed to the brim with trailers and other stuff, so I'm not sure if Smash can take up that much time, regardless of how big of a game it is.

They might well speak up about the additional DLC though, without giving too much away of course. Smash will be featured there, I think that much is basically guaranteed, so it's likely to be brought up in interviews at least, in which case I could see whoever goes there as Nintendo's representative give a statement similar to Reggie's "all characters are from series new to Smash".
Smash is nominated for 3 awards and the general consensus is despite the fact that there's a vote, it doesn't mean much. I believe that for the sake of the show running smoothly, all of it is very scripted and Nintendo very likely knows how many awards they're going to win and who to have on standby to accept the rewards, likely at least a month in advance. There's a very real chance that Smash will take up that much time. It's pretty good TV for every time Smash wins an award Sakurai to come up on stage, take the trophy, snap his fingers, and another character comes.

But I agree that there likely won't be a dual trailer since the only time we've gotten more than one new character in a trailer that isn't for the entire game, it was Robin and an echo, Simon and an echo, and an echo and Incineroar. Also Charizard and Greninja but Charizard isn't a new character. Edit: Forgot Palutena and an echo.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I'm still confident in Geno, but I was just curious about something. I believe Fatman that if Sora was happening, its later, but in the event that Sora is 5, do you think this would completely block Geno? It's the only thing about that character I take issue with. Once Geno arrives, let Sora come later by all means. But it still terrifies me, and I just wanted some perspectives.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
What if...

Smash wins Fighting Game of the Year: Nightmare is Revealed for Fighter Pass #5!
Smash wins Family Game of the Year: Geno is announced for post pass DLC!
Smash wins Game of the Year: Doomguy is announced for post pass DLC!

Firox

Smash Master
What if...

Smash wins Fighting Game of the Year: Nightmare is Revealed for Fighter Pass #5!
This timeline sounds pretty freakin sweet to me!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm still confident in Geno, but I was just curious about something. I believe Fatman that if Sora was happening, its later, but in the event that Sora is 5, do you think this would completely block Geno? It's the only thing about that character I take issue with. Once Geno arrives, let Sora come later by all means. But it still terrifies me, and I just wanted some perspectives.
Sora crusader here: I don't think so entirely. Sora is owned by Disney (Which people love to scream is a reason he can't be in) but Disney always goes to Nomura when it comes to using Sora for anything as a show of respect, and I even have my own theory on what's going on on that front.

The only people from Square Nintendo would really have to talk to is Nomura, and Sakurai and Nomura are good friends. They'd have to go to Square itself for Geno

So while Sora is perceived to be Square, I don't think his being in would hamper Geno's chances

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
What if...

Imagine if the social media account promised us a character reveal for every award they win that night. Internet would go crazy.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
What if...

What's this? A bonus! During Indie Game of the Year: Shantae announced for post pass DLC! Hey I can dream too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I respectfully disagree.

1. Master Chief is a samus knockoff? Ok they are both similar in that they both wear full body armor and have some similar weapons. But if you are saying that Master Chief won't get in because he's too similar to Samus, that is wrong (I apologize in advance if this is not what you are saying). He has a shield, energy guns, long range rifles, chainguns, energy sword, grenades, hammer, etc. More than enough weapons to make an interesting and unique moveset.

2. Yes, Microsoft being a competitor does hurt Chief's chances. But the thing is that they are not 100% a direct competitor. They see what the Switch is and recognize that it has its own market. Hence why they ported games like Cuphead and Ori over to the Switch because it won't directly hurt their sales. Admittedly these are slightly older indie games and not huge exclusives like Halo and Forza, but it shows how close Microsoft and Nintendo are. If it wasn't for the fact that Master Chief hasn't been on a Nintendo console before, I think he would have a real shot and if Nintendo went to Microsoft and asked for him, I think Microsoft would agree because Master Chief is iconic so he would generate a lot of sales from DLC and would generate more interest in Halo.

3. I don't understand what you mean by "had to do the impossible to get Banjo from the clutches of Microsoft". Again, Microsoft and Nintendo have a friendly relationship despite being console manufacturers and Phil Spencer literally said it was a very easy decision to let Banjo in Smash. So I don't see why you are making it seem like it was such a hard thing to do.
Master Chief is essentially what the instruction manual for the first Metroid described Samus as. I recognize him as having a unique moveset and will never discredit him for that, but in general, I view Halo as a multiplayer equipped Metroid competitor. It wouldn't be smart advertising nor would it go well with fans for Metroid Prime 4 to be in this odd development period and then Master Chief show up in Super Smash Bros.

As for "doing the impossible", I guess they've proven that it isn't entirely impossible, but really... Let's not let the fact that Banjo is in cloud our opinion that such a thing is anything short of a miracle. This time last year Banjo was another Grinch Leak casualty and only really specific people had any faith in him. The biggest hindrance against him, what made it so unlikely, was that Microsoft owns Rare. Even if the bridge has been crossed doesn't mean it'll be any easier to cross it again, and for one of Microsoft's flagship characters rather than a cartoony platform character that went unused for a decade? The odds are infinitely smaller.

What if...

Smash wins Fighting Game of the Year: Fighter 5
Smash wins Family Game of the Year: Geno
Smash wins Game of the Year: Geno again.

In general, I don't like Sora. I know he's a real thorn in the side of at least one of our compatriots, and the weapon Geno haters use the most, but the crux of the matter is that people with their heads in the right place know Sora is, in fact, a Disney character. Maybe one of the strangest Disney characters around, but still one. The most solid evidence I can give for that comes in the form of a billboard that has cropped up in various states, sponsored by the ad council. There's a whole blog on it, actually:

https://www.adlibbing.org/2019/02/2...ered-with-kingdom-hearts-to-prevent-bullying/

The copyrights are given to Disney, with "developed by Square Enix" being mentioned, but ultimately, if Square owned any of the characters, they'd be credited for their copyright as well, but they aren't. He's not in competition with our boy.

Now, has the internet made me petty to the point that I just never want to see him? Absolutely. I've said before that the most fitting punishment would be for him to be a Mii costume that comes with Geno and I'd still be giddy for that, but that wouldn't happen, because again, Square doesn't own him. They're just consulted for using him because... I dunno, I guess Disney actually cares about keeping the series on point? That'd go miles for Star Wars, but that's another thread.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Thank you everyone for responses! Hearing stuff from people who like and want both Geno and Sora is refreshing cause I've heard from either Geno haters or Sora fanatics and it gets dull. I personally do not like the character though once Geno's in I don't care.

I'm in the boat of people who have no real issue with Sora, though the internet and toxic stuff makes me like him less. I think he's one of the least interesting characters in KH, but I dont want to get into that as it's another kettle of fish.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I imagine this will be the last Geno King for Another Day song. Interesting one to bow out on.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief is essentially what the instruction manual for the first Metroid described Samus as. I recognize him as having a unique moveset and will never discredit him for that, but in general, I view Halo as a multiplayer equipped Metroid competitor. It wouldn't be smart advertising nor would it go well with fans for Metroid Prime 4 to be in this odd development period and then Master Chief show up in Super Smash Bros.
I don't think fans of Metroid 4 would care if MC appeared in Smash. It's not like MP4 development is being stalled by his inclusion or anything. I think you just have bias against him for whatever reason and can't look past it. I'm indifferent myself, I haven't touched a Halo game since fresh out of high school (I'm 32 so that was awhile ago), but if he were added I'd be happy for his fans and I'm sure he'd have a moveset that differentiates him from Samus.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is a fair question and I can answer honestly about this. Collectively, not a lot. We didn't know about Joker, everybody and their grandma knew about Hero but made their own conclusions about the info made public (I was wrong because I assumed the intel was outdated and the large time gaps in info were suspect), we did know about Banjo in April but, as their Twitter posts show, they didn't believe it (even after the NoA source basically told us it was happening) until Shinobi said "yep, Banjo's coming" and we didn't know about Terry until Nintendo leaked it. Sabi has a new source for #5 that two other members of the group insist is a really big deal but Sabi has hard sat on the identity of the person.

The interesting thing about the whole thing is that these clues aren't coming from the NoA source. After Sabi's C&D, they often referred to them as an "old" source despite us still being in contact with them on a virtual daily basis (for fun, not for info) and him still offering rumors and theories about stuff they had heard. Sabi also started participating in the group less often after E3, usually only popping in a few times a week (if that). The NoA source regularly told us that they didn't know who it is and I believe him. He made jokes about a couple of characters, including D.Va from Overwatch, being 5 but I'll keep the rest quiet in case it turns out he was telling the truth. For 5, he's been there along for the ride with us aside from rumors and I totally respect his decision to flat out retire from insider stuff once the VGAs are over.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I'm starting to wonder if someone on the team has it out for the guy, both times it seems like all the best rips came out after he already lost. Who in their right mind thought weapon factory was an acceptable opener?

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to wonder if someone on the team has it out for the guy, both times it seems like all the best rips came out after he already lost. Who in their right mind thought weapon factory was an acceptable opener?
Weapon Factory is one of the best songs in Mario RPG and doesn't get enough love. The remix of it was sick, so if it was a bad opener, that's just on the poor taste of the viewers.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Am I crazy or does it feel like we’re right on the cusp of a big leak? Like it honestly feels like 5’s name is gonna come out any day now.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I want to clarify that I am 100% okay with Sora only if Geno makes it in first. I absolutely do not want him before Geno for numerous of reasons.

That is all.

Firox

Smash Master
As an avid fan of both Metroid and Halo, I gotta say, I really don't see MC as having an impact on Metroid Prime 4 whatsoever. My reasons?

A) Metroid and Halo are not direct competitors in any way. Metroid is a single player puzzle/adventure game (basically a sci-fi Zelda with special items, boss fights, etc.) that combines an atmosphere of mystery and suspense with a sort of "Human vs Nature" vibe, and in the case of the Prime series, an element of FPS that comes with the first-person perspective. Halo, on the other hand, is a sci-fi FPS, and I mean FPS in the most definitive way, focusing far less on exploration and more on straight-up war and combat. The focus is much heavier on multiplayer and the usage of vehicles and realistic weaponry. Despite the common sci-fi/super soldierish background, the two franchises appeal to a very different crowd.

B) Even if Nintendo wanted to promote MP4, who could they possibly add to Smash to hype it up? Samus? Again? We already got three Links, we don't need any more Samuses (even though we already have three of her as well, lol) Master Chief, on the other hand, would be HUGE. It's literally the equivalent of having Mario on XBOX. The hype would be insane. Honestly, I think Doomguy is more of a direct competitor to MC than Metroid/Samus is since they are both from straight-up FPS's and even look incredibly similar with the green-colored power armor.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice

Weapons Factory is amazing, fight me.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Am I crazy or does it feel like we’re right on the cusp of a big leak? Like it honestly feels like 5’s name is gonna come out any day now.
There's been a bunch of announcements today, Resident Evil 3make, Persona 5 R, Trails of Cold Steel 3 on the Switch.... Seems like everyone is getting ready for the GA's so it really could be any moment now

D

Deleted member

Nah, the requisite "Nintendo owes us information" feeling hasn't come yet. If it had, I'd agree with you, but I don't think there's this mass feeling that they've "missed" a direct or something.

B) Even if Nintendo wanted to promote MP4, who could they possibly add to Smash to hype it up?
Sylux boys rise up

Firox

Smash Master
I want to clarify that I am 100% okay with Sora only if Geno makes it in first. I absolutely do not want him before Geno for numerous of reasons.

That is all.
Same. That'll shut up the trolls and Geno-naysayers until Sora can get in and we all rejoice as friends. If the reverse were to happen, OMG the salt that would rain down. Let's just be sure to be the better people and not stomp other fanbases that don't get their way.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
It makes me sad people are using Sora to put down Geno, especially since they're owned by different companies and aren't even direct competitors

@Serenade01 I totally feel where you're coming from, it's exactly how I feel about Steve; I NEVER want him to be in Smash after the Banjo fans were a laughing stock for an entire year, I don't want Steveposters to have the satisfaction.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Same. That'll shut up the trolls and Geno-naysayers until Sora can get in and we all rejoice as friends. If the reverse were to happen, OMG the salt that would rain down. Let's just be sure to be the better people and not stomp other fanbases that don't get their way.
Can I at least guarantee myself....just one meme lol

D

Deleted member

I was at a phase where I really wanted Sylux back in Smash 4, and I still kinda do. He was always my favourite hunter from Prime Hunters, so it was nice seeing him return after all these years. There's a couple of things you can do for his moveset from his game as well.

A lot of people like to say he has no personality or character, but honestly? A lot of Nintendo characters are like that. Some are even intentional, like Byleth.
His character is that he's a very powerful bounty hunter who hates the Federation and Samus because she worked for them. You don't need much more than that, that small description alone sets up Prime 4 just fine.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Weapons factory is fine, but if you thought it was going to stand against Jackson and Al your kidding yourselves. Last time they wiffed on forest, the BiS finale, and an incredible rendition of the paper mario opener. Now they just showed us they had the ff4 boss theme in the works and who knows what else and it feels like we're about to go though same thing all over again.

I mean yeah the brackets sucked but I don't know how intentional somthing like that could actually be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom