• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The sad thing is, even if by some miracle we could coax SE into making SMRPG 2 or remake, I have a strong suspicion that it would be Nintendo to kill it in its tracks being the hyper-prude idiots they are and the fact that they wouldn't be able to stand SE making a better Mario RPG than they could.
The only way I can see something new SMRPG wize, is if Nintendo greenlight some form of "spinoff" only focusing on Geno with no original Mario characters.

D

Deleted member

Art, Mods and if were are lucky, Fangames. Sean working a good Geno Mod rn.
Bad future, I'll keep looking for the one I want.

The sad thing is, even if by some miracle we could coax SE into making SMRPG 2 or remake, I have a strong suspicion that it would be Nintendo to kill it in its tracks being the hyper-prude idiots they are and the fact that they wouldn't be able to stand SE making a better Mario RPG than they could.
I dunno, Nintendo seems to be fine with the fact that Retro can make a better Metroid than they can, and that Monolith can make a better Zelda. But maybe part of the reason we never saw another F-Zero isn't that Miyamoto can't make it unique as much as he's just salty Sega made a better F-Zero.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
why would nintendo actively hate geno for the most part they dont really aknowledge his existence aside from mii customs and one off hand comment.Its either cause a they couldnt Geno for some reason or b they thought sephiroth or other square chracthers would be a better pick

Firox

Smash Master
The only way I can see something new SMRPG wize, is if Nintendo greenlight some form of "spinoff" only focusing on Geno with no original Mario characters.
Maybe you're onto something here. Does Nintendo have any rights to Geno at all? If not, I wonder if SE could be coaxed into using Geno as the star (hehe) of his own game? Granted, this could prove difficult regardless since the whole premise of his puppet form was based in the Mario Universe. Ugh, how much I wish I knew what was going in Nintendo's heads right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

why would nintendo actively hate geno for the most part they dont really aknowledge his existence aside from mii customs and one off hand comment.Its either cause a they couldnt Geno for some reason or b they thought sephiroth or other square chracthers would be a better pick
Because your creative leads are over 50 and have been the most important names in the business for ~30 years. I'm not saying someone like Miyamoto's head is inflated but he's proven over the past decade to be tone deaf and Nintendo lets him get away with running his creations right into the ground.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Also why did alphadream collapse i know it was poor sales because they were making remakes on a sort of dead console but what happned

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"Nintendo hates Geno!"

(SMRPG gets rereleased three times in ten years and gets released in Europe and Australia for the first time ever, has been a Mii costume twice now, was a legendary spirit in the base game and was one of the only characters from a Mario RPG to get a player icon)

Yeah, I've never bought this argument...

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
As I am searching for a post from Nintendo this year about Super Mario RPG (which I may actually be delusional about) I came across a random post in 2018.

This post has a comment on it from 6 days ago... saying “thank god he’ll never be in smash”. The lengths people go through to hate on things is hilarious.

Edit: Oh wait! Wasn’t it a poll referencing Geno specifically? Yep, I’m a doofus. My brain confused a post that happened two years ago to being done recently. Man, how time flies.

(This was the Team Geno or Team Mallow tweet)

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Maybe you're onto something here. Does Nintendo have any rights to Geno at all? If not, I wonder if SE could be coaxed into using Geno as the star (hehe) of his own game? Granted, this could prove difficult regardless since the whole premise of his puppet form was based in the Mario Universe. Ugh, how much I wish I knew what was going in Nintendo's heads right now.
My guess is that they sort of lies in a middle ground concidering his introduction. But giving him his own game(s) wouldn´t essentially continue his journey without expanding Mario RPGs in some fashion.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Yeah fatman is right it does make any sense nintendo doesnt hate geno they just dont really care about him miyamoto has nothing to with do this all miyamoto said was Mario story bad mario should be more focus on gameplay and stuff

Firox

Smash Master
My guess is that they sort of lies in a middle ground concidering his introduction. But giving him his own game(s) wouldn´t essentially continue his journey without expanding Mario RPGs in some fashion.
Maybe they could have Geno journey into Culex's dimension and go from there. Make it kind of a dimension hopping scenario akin to Kingdom Hearts but with all FF references instead of Disney ones.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
It’s funny how were talking about Geno and I’ve just been going through alphadream interviews because I miss the mario and Luigi series and when I was going through a dream team interview that was with ign they brought up mallow and Geno. I miss the series

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
And besides if nintendo really hated geno they would have given him nothing not even a spirit or a mii costume or even mentioned him.getting a mii costume/spirit is technailly aknowledgement

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Maybe they could have Geno journey into Culex's dimension and go from there. Make it kind of a dimension hopping scenario akin to Kingdom Hearts but with all FF references instead of Disney ones.
Now you just make me wonder what a Nintendo version of Kingdom Hearts would be xD

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno's one of those weird unique cases where he's basically worthless to both companies unless they work together. Nintendo can't legally use him without Square because Square actually holds the rights but Square can't legally use him outside the context of a Mario/Nintendo game so they would have to significantly change him to use him in anything else but, at that point,why not just create an original character like Bleno or something?

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Geno's one of those weird unique cases where he's basically worthless to both companies unless they work together. Nintendo can't legally use him without Square because Square actually holds the rights but Square can't legally use him outside the context of a Mario/Nintendo game so they would have to significantly change him to use him in anything else but, at that point,why not just create an original character like Bleno or something?
So what your saying is that Square should make a Kingdom Heart styled game with Geno as the protagonist, but he meets up with Nintendo franchises instead of Disney?

Firox

Smash Master
Does anyone here actually think "Nintendo straight-up hates Geno"? I think there are some valid arguments for why Nintendo thinks him irrelevant or as an impure element to the Mario franchise, but from what I've seen I don't think that's the argument people here are making. It's not so much that Nintendo outright blocked Geno out of some kind irrational hatred, but rather they see him as such an incredibly low priority compared to other options that they didn't bother giving him a spot on the smash roster. At the end of the day, I think he was simply too obscure of a character to fit their criteria. To them, it would like adding Booster or Smithy to Smash. They just don't care enough about the character or the cult fan following to make it happen.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
This is why I really wish Nintendo would just buy him and mallow outright on their own

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone here actually think "Nintendo straight-up hates Geno"? I think there are some valid arguments for why Nintendo thinks him irrelevant or as an impure element to the Mario franchise, but from what I've seen I don't think that's the argument people here are making. It's not so much that Nintendo outright blocked Geno out of some kind irrational hatred, but rather they see him as such an incredibly low priority compared to other options that they didn't bother giving him a spot on the smash roster. At the end of the day, I think he was simply too obscure of a character to fit their criteria. To them, it would like adding Booster or Smithy to Smash. They just don't care enough about the character or the cult fan following to make it happen.
Yeah geno hasnt been in stuff or the public eye in years makes sense

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So what your saying is that Square should make a Kingdom Heart styled game with Geno as the protagonist, but he meets up with Nintendo franchises instead of Disney?
Yeah, come to think of it... Coincidentally, Geno's situation is very similar to Sora's. Disney owns Sora but Disney doesn't have the rights to use Sora without Square Enix's involvement or approval. (For example, this is probably why he wasn't in the Wreck It Ralph movies.)

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Because the fans want him, and he would be nothing but financially beneficial for all parties involved.

Don't think those are good enough reasons? Well, now you know why Nintendo shouldn't be choosing the DLC characters.
But think about it you were in thier shoes you could pick like almost anyone why go for geno and get into rights hell when you pick a chracther that doesnt have rights hell/easier to get plus likely the sell the same

D

Deleted member

But think about it you were in thier shoes you could pick like almost anyone why go for geno and get into rights hell when you pick a chracther that doesnt have rights hell/easier to get plus likely the sell the same
In 2004, it would be to please your fans and ensure that you have a loyal fanbase for years to come.

In 2020? No reason in particular.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Now you just make me wonder what a Nintendo version of Kingdom Hearts would be xD
That can never work. Nintendo couldn't handle the character design. Nintendo just makes recolor palette swap models of their existing characters and dubs them as totally new people. Kingdom Hearts has unique characters, like the female lead who has two prominent female characters who look exactly like her but with..different.....hair.....styles.......

The newest character in Mario Kart: Pink Gold Kairi!

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, come to think of it... Coincidentally, Geno's situation is very similar to Sora's. Disney owns Sora but Disney doesn't have the rights to use Sora without Square Enix's involvement or approval. (For example, this is probably why he wasn't in the Wreck It Ralph movies.)
Could you imagine the licensing nightmare that is Sora? The negotiations with Disney for getting him in Smash must have been downright ludicrous...

Disney: "If you want Sora in Smash, then we want 3 cents wired to our Swiss bank accounts every time a Sora player wins an online match."

Sakurai: "You drive a hard bargain, but I think we could swing it..." (starts texting his team under the table: "Nerf Sora into the ground!")

Disney: "....but you have to make Sora good. We don't want to see any of this Little-Mac-with-a-keyblade nonsense."

Sakurai: "Hmmmm, I'll have to check with my superiors and get back to you on that." (deletes text, then starts again: "Scrub it, lads. We're boned."

QQS

Smash Lord
Next DLC is #9
Geno turns 25° next March #9

What a good chance to bring back SMRPG to the NSO + Geno as a Full Fighter with the costume already sold before + maybe even Sequel or Remake of SMRPG.

If not, I still have faith Geno playable as BONUS or FP3.

I won’t stop believing until they officially end the roster.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
In 2004, it would be to please your fans and ensure that you have a loyal fanbase for years to come.

In 2020? No reason in particular.
Playing devils advocate here but Yeah there are plenty of other chracthers who have been requested besides geno. like lets say crash people would be ****ing stoked for crash or master chief and would let nintendo have thier wallet.and would be easier to get geno has a dedicated fanbase but not everyone wants/cares for geno.He actually has alot of detractors for some reason

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
That can never work. Nintendo couldn't handle the character design. Nintendo just makes recolor palette swap models of their existing characters and dubs them as totally new people. Kingdom Hearts has unique characters, like the female lead who has two prominent female characters who look exactly like her but with..different.....hair.....styles.......

The newest character in Mario Kart: Pink Gold Kairi!
Seeing how Kairi get little to no screentime, that would be a plus

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Also why did alphadream collapse i know it was poor sales because they were making remakes on a sort of dead console but what happned
This sort of brings a possibility to the conversation I haven't seen anyone talk about. I wonder if AlphaDream saw the writing on the wall and knew they were going to go bankrupt soon, so they decided to remake what many consider the best in the Mario & Luigi series as a sendoff, one last hurrah. If that's the case, the returning sales must have been soul crushing. But the 3DS was way past its time at that point so I don't necessarily think they're completely innocent either.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Playing devils advocate here but Yeah there are plenty of other chracthers who have been requested besides geno. like lets say crash people would be ****ing stoked for crash or master chief and would let nintendo have thier wallet.and would be easier to get geno has a dedicated fanbase but not everyone wants/cares for geno.He actually has alot of detractors for some reason
Not everyone wanted or cared for Joker and Terry, and certainly not everyone did so for Byleth. Do you think Nintendo should have picked different characters than those three?

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
People were ****ing stoked for Joker though and Fgc and snk fans were also happy as well Byleth was kinda of bad tbh im a fire emblem fan but holy**** it was a bad idea to make the fire emblen chracther the last in the past after a whole line of 3rd party dlc.imagine if There was no fighter pass 2 the ****storm would be ****ing awful for at least years

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Could you imagine the licensing nightmare that is Sora? The negotiations with Disney for getting him in Smash must have been downright ludicrous...

Disney: "If you want Sora in Smash, then we want 3 cents wired to our Swiss bank accounts every time a Sora player wins an online match."

Sakurai: "You drive a hard bargain, but I think we could swing it..." (starts texting his team under the table: "Nerf Sora into the ground!")

Disney: "....but you have to make Sora good. We don't want to see any of this Little-Mac-with-a-keyblade nonsense."

Sakurai: "Hmmmm, I'll have to check with my superiors and get back to you on that." (deletes text, then starts again: "Scrub it, lads. We're boned."
I know I'm opening a can of worms by going into this topic but the narrative is, AT LEAST FOR THE FIRST ROUND OF NEGOTIATIONS, things went terribly. Depending on who you ask, people have responded with different explanations to why negotiations went mammaries skyward:

-Disney wanted too much (most common explanation)

-Disney wanted the Disney characters to have a presence with Sora. Nintendo wasn't cool with that and didn't want their characters to "compete" with bigger cultural icons like Mickey Mouse.

-Disney made ridiculous demands that neither Nintendo or Square were cool with. One of my guys claimed last year that Disney was wanting things like Frozen song remixes instead of actual Kingdom Hearts' music and it rubbed everyone the wrong way.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
It was earlier this year so, give me some time to search for it.

As for your second paragraph, what does that have anything to do with my post?

Did you read the full thing? Have we already forgotten about reintroducing all the previous costumes and how it’s easy money to just slightly touch up an already created asset?

Edit: Oof, rereading this post, it comes off as super hostile.

Not the intention. I just try to avoid falling into red herrings or random topics.
So they all the reintroduced 3rd parties are coming back as fighters? Tails, Mega Man X, Geomon,Sans, Cuphead, Rabbid etc are all confirmed are they?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
People were ing stoked for Joker though and Fgc and snk fans were also happy as well Byleth was kinda of bad tbh im a fire emblem fan but holy it was a bad idea to make the fire emblen chracther the last in the past after a whole line of 3rd party dlc.imagine if There was no fighter pass 2 the ****storm would be ****ing awful for at least years
If those characters, or at least Joker and Terry, made people happy, then why are you singling out Geno as this one exception that Nintendo shouldn't bother trying to make playable? Geno's already in the game as a spirit and now a Mii Costume, so licensing the character in general shouldn't be too difficult, and both Nintendo and Square Enix would still financially profit from his inclusion anyway.

Also, while Terry certainly made SNK and fighting game fans happy, there were also plenty of people who were either confused or mad about his inclusion, either because they didn't know who he was or because he was another fighting game character with input specials. By your logic that Geno shouldn't get in because his inclusion would piss off a lot of people, Terry shouldn't have gotten in for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom