• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
For years, people were wondering which side is the hold out for Geno anything: is it Nintendo or Square holding him back? It was assumed Square due to how infamously bad Cloud was handled (2 songs, one stage, no spirits) and people concluded Square was being difficult. However, with Sephiroth's content being fixed, more songs, spirits and another stage and Sakurai discussing the issue with the songs being more logical than just stingy, it might not be Square.

Then you look at Nintendo from just this year and how bad they have been with PR. These weird cut off dates for the Mario games in March. How unbothered they are over one of their major RPG series falling to the wayside. The sudden copyright strike fits they are going into on YouTube. Their tonedeaf responses to fans. Their focus in using color gem baby versions of characters in Mario Kart. And damning of all, their instance to wash down their supporting cast in their other RPG series and force their characters into cookie cutter designs.

So, yea, just based off Nintendo's mindset this year, I feel they are the ones holding Geno back, not Square. And not just Geno. ANY Mario RPG fan favorite.
I agree. Miyamoto's puritanic bull**** towards the Mario franchise has got to go. I don't see how indulging the fans with new or unique characters is any slight against the red plumber.

Nintendo have been acting like senile delinquents this whole year.
Such a hilariously true summation of their corporate management.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
First of all "-Heihachi is costumed again, arguably taking Tekken out of the running for Namco reps. "... I guess you are taking that point back since you stand by that Geno still has a chance?

And Yuri is a much more popular request from the Japanese fanbase (which is the one Nintendo leans towards). Just because Sakurai says he is "the obvious choice" doesn´t mean that Loyd will happen as a character if Tales get included. Heck, if the pattern of returning Mii Costumes is anything to go by, Loyd will meet that faith too.
I am taking that point back because I've said a couple of times the past couple of days: before Season 2 started, my thoughts were that not all the Mii costumes would come back because several would be promoted. Fast forward 11 months and both Heihachi and Geno are Mii costumed, leaving literally one "character" Mii costume that hasn't come back yet. I seriously doubt Namco approved Heihachi and Gil's Mii costumes coming back but not Lloyd's. That would just be kind of weird.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I am taking that point back because I've said a couple of times the past couple of days: before Season 2 started, my thoughts were that not all the Mii costumes would come back because several would be promoted. Fast forward 11 months and both Heihachi and Geno are Mii costumed, leaving literally one "character" Mii costume that hasn't come back yet. I seriously doubt Namco approved Heihachi and Gil's Mii costumes coming back but not Lloyd's. That would just be kind of weird.
That´s a fair point. But even still, I wouldn´t call his "first appearance and popularity at the time" being an obvious argument for it.

To give you an example. Lyn and Black Knight have been heavily requested for a long time when it comes to Fire Emblem characters, both being modded into fan-projects when it comes to Smash Brothers. One got to the point that he becomes Mii Costume for Smash4 DLC. Lyn is arguably a big deal for the FE community since she is the first lord you get introduced to, with the first game that Nintendo sends over to the west.

How have both ended up? Black Knight is a Mii Costume and an Assist Trophy and Lyn is still just an Assist Trophy. The character that got included in the base game, was Chrom, who arguably only got in because of the memes that got created after Lucina´s and Robin´s reveal trailer.

But who knows.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I could see a costume getting promoted, although admittedly it’s against the pattern. However I do think it will be Lloyd. If Lloyd does come back as a fully playable character, I doubt we’ll be seeing his costume alongside his release. But who knows. These last three characters will be interesting for sure.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I could see a costume getting promoted, although admittedly it’s against the pattern. However I do think it will be Lloyd. If Lloyd does come back as a fully playable character, I doubt we’ll be seeing his costume alongside his release. But who knows. These last three characters will be interesting for sure.
On this topic, I was sitting on my throne of bleeding puppy skulls or whatever the **** GameFAQs thinks I do in my free time and realized that of the 8 characters we've gotten so far, only 2 have been globally big fan picks and, ironically, it's the only two Western characters, ironically both owned by a literal competitor of Nintendo. Banjo and Steve are the only two that have had any real prevalence in any major fan polls since 2015 and that's just kind of funny to me. Characters like Joker and Sephiroth fell in the category of "I don't expect them at all but I would be thrilled to death if they happened." Plant and Byleth were outwardly hated, Terry and Hero only really resonated with certain areas, and Min Min probably had the most neutral and balanced reception by far. Kind of wild how these last two years have played out.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I happened upon this video today and felt a similar vibe between Isaac fans then and Geno fans now.

Honestly, I feel like the two characters are kin in a way--cult classic Nintendo characters whose fans really want them in and have had no luck as of now. How do their respective fandoms get along, or do they just ignore each other?
I'm an Isaac/Golden Sun fan as well but have spent a majority of my time here because Geno is my most wanted. After Geno was costumed I started branching out to other threads to wish them luck. Isaac thread was one of the first I went to and they were very receptive and happy to have me join in. And a lot of Isaac fans came in to give their condolences to this thread. So it's pretty apparent to me that relations are quite amicable.

First of all "-Heihachi is costumed again, arguably taking Tekken out of the running for Namco reps. "... I guess you are taking that point back since you stand by that Geno still has a chance?

And Yuri is a much more popular request from the Japanese fanbase (which is the one Nintendo leans towards). Just because Sakurai says he is "the obvious choice" doesn´t mean that Loyd will happen as a character if Tales get included. Heck, if the pattern of returning Mii Costumes is anything to go by, Loyd will meet that faith too.
To add on to this Sakurai might pick Llyod while Nintendo would likely be more interested in the generally more popular Yuri or a more modern Tales character.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
For years, people were wondering which side is the hold out for Geno anything: is it Nintendo or Square holding him back? It was assumed Square due to how infamously bad Cloud was handled (2 songs, one stage, no spirits) and people concluded Square was being difficult. However, with Sephiroth's content being fixed, more songs, spirits and another stage and Sakurai discussing the issue with the songs being more logical than just stingy, it might not be Square.

Then you look at Nintendo from just this year and how bad they have been with PR. These weird cut off dates for the Mario games in March. How unbothered they are over one of their major RPG series falling to the wayside. The sudden copyright strike fits they are going into on YouTube. Their tonedeaf responses to fans. Their focus in using color gem baby versions of characters in Mario Kart. And damning of all, their instance to wash down their supporting cast in their other RPG series and force their characters into cookie cutter designs.

So, yea, just based off Nintendo's mindset this year, I feel they are the ones holding Geno back, not Square. And not just Geno. ANY Mario RPG fan favorite.
This, right here... this is the big one.

It would certainly help if we ended up getting at least some sort of DLC after Fighters Pass 2's end (whether it's a full-on third Fighters Pass, or just some individual DLC characters), or if one of the remaining DLC characters breaks the "Mii Fighter costumes are hard deconfirms" trend in some way... but now I think the biggest obstacle in Geno's ever-confusing path to Smash is the entity who is more or less in charge of the DLC now: Nintendo.

When Sakurai was picking the base roster characters, he mostly focused on real crowd pleasers and characters that fans have been asking for a while, :ultridley: (a character that Sakurai has deconfirmed for past games) and :ultkrool: (who, despite Geno's detractors constantly going "THEY'RE NOT COMPARABLE", was actually in a pretty similar position to both Geno and Banjo, being a fan-favorite Smash request who hadn't appeared in a game in a long time and was thus "irrelevant") being especially notable. The only exceptions to this are :ultincineroar: (the token Pokemon character who Sakurai admits he leaves space for in each game) and :ultpiranha: (essentially a controversial excuse for Sakurai to flex his dev skills and creativity). Nintendo, on the other hand, has instead decided to focus on characters that would effectively draw in outside fans who probably never touched a Smash game. Whether or not that's ultimately a good or bad thing is up for debate, but what's certainly not up for debate is that this results in long-time fan-favorite requests getting shoved to the wayside due to not being seen as "profitable" and "marketable". Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, and now Geno... if there's no new game for them to promote and no new fans to bring in, then, as harsh as this sounds, they're essentially "worthless" in Nintendo's eyes. Admittedly, there is one exception... but as far as I'm concerned, :ultbanjokazooie: making it in is a case of pure dumb luck, considering it seems like :ultsteve: was who Nintendo was really gunning for from Microsoft. Hell, if one of the DLC characters is a Tales character, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed up promoting Lloyd in favor of instead either Yuri Lowell (protagonist of Vesperia and the most popular Tales character) or Alphen (protagonist of the upcoming Arise and a potential marketing for that game).

So in the event that we get more DLC after Fighters Pass 2, whatever form it takes, it is imperative that the final say on who gets in is back in Sakurai's hands, not Nintendo's. Not only would it mean potentially more fan favorites, but it would mean Geno is especially back on the table for round 3.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Indeed, every single Mii Costume will return. The remaining Challenger Packs will be new characters (no duh!). BUT... as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has become this insurmountable crossover, as Sakurai stated himself at the time, "he wishes to continue improving upon that record". Huh, what could that mean? Well, with the DLC we've gotten up till now we've seen part of what he meant; a bunch of new characters and some that many believed would never happen. Yet, there is this lingering question in regards to the fate of a number of fan favorite characters that have been left in the form of Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes that many wonder if they'll simply remain as such. Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Ashley, Skull Kid, Krystal, Knuckles, Lloyd, Heihachi, Lyn, Geno; will their fate remain as such? Hmm... 🤔

Firox

Smash Master
This, right here... this is the big one.

It would certainly help if we ended up getting at least some sort of DLC after Fighters Pass 2's end (whether it's a full-on third Fighters Pass, or just some individual DLC characters), or if one of the remaining DLC characters breaks the "Mii Fighter costumes are hard deconfirms" trend in some way... but now I think the biggest obstacle in Geno's ever-confusing path to Smash is the entity who is more or less in charge of the DLC now: Nintendo.

When Sakurai was picking the base roster characters, he mostly focused on real crowd pleasers and characters that fans have been asking for a while, :ultridley: (a character that Sakurai has deconfirmed for past games) and :ultkrool: (who, despite Geno's detractors constantly going "THEY'RE NOT COMPARABLE", was actually in a pretty similar position to both Geno and Banjo, being a fan-favorite Smash request who hadn't appeared in a game in a long time and was thus "irrelevant") being especially notable. The only exceptions to this are :ultincineroar: (the token Pokemon character who Sakurai admits he leaves space for in each game) and :ultpiranha: (essentially a controversial excuse for Sakurai to flex his dev skills and creativity). Nintendo, on the other hand, has instead decided to focus on characters that would effectively draw in outside fans who probably never touched a Smash game. Whether or not that's ultimately a good or bad thing is up for debate, but what's certainly not up for debate is that this results in long-time fan-favorite requests getting shoved to the wayside due to not being seen as "profitable" and "marketable". Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, and now Geno... if there's no new game for them to promote and no new fans to bring in, then, as harsh as this sounds, they're essentially "worthless" in Nintendo's eyes. Admittedly, there is one exception... but as far as I'm concerned, :ultbanjokazooie: making it in is a case of pure dumb luck, considering it seems like :ultsteve: was who Nintendo was really gunning for from Microsoft. Hell, if one of the DLC characters is a Tales character, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed up promoting Lloyd in favor of instead either Yuri Lowell (protagonist of Vesperia and the most popular Tales character) or Alphen (protagonist of the upcoming Arise and a potential marketing for that game).

So in the event that we get more DLC after Fighters Pass 2, whatever form it takes, it is imperative that the final say on who gets in is back in Sakurai's hands, not Nintendo's. Not only would it mean potentially more fan favorites, but it would mean Geno is especially back on the table for round 3.
You put my thoughts together in a much more methodical and succinct way than I could. Well written. Couldn't agree more.

D

Deleted member

He's not a popular person around these parts but Burb mentioned it earlier, and I've at the very least hinted at the fact that I think if Geno isn't playable in Smash, it is very much Nintendo's doing, maybe Miyamoto. Maybe. I've said before that I don't really believe in this "Mario mandate" business, it feels like the natural extreme of fan disappointment in how Mario games seem to be less creative on the whole mixed with a bit of factual evidence that character designs have, for the most part, become standardized, but in general, it feels like a conspiracy theory born from where most conspiracy theories are born: dissatisfaction with reality and the need to create a source of blame to cope with what is mostly just the way the world works for the time being.

I think that if there were such a mandate, Nintendo would be trying to scrub the record books clean of times they broke it rather than allow PNGs in Smash Bros of characters like Geno, Mallow, Mario and Luigi characters, etc, and adding strange new characters to the Mario universe in subsequent titles, or allowing the resurrection of unique characters like King Bob-omb in Mario Kart Tour. Until proven otherwise, I'll stand by the idea that if Nintendo indeed is blocking characters like Geno from becoming playable in Smash, it's because they are salty that one of the most popular Mario spinoff characters is one that they did not design nor do they own. Very petty, but within the realm of realistic.

I'd like to take this opportunity to take note of the fact that I have not been the brightest star among this community in a lot of ways, so my change in tune after the worst case scenario may come off as... forced? Fake, even? ... But it's really not like that at all. I went into it doubting the mountain of "evidence" because I picked up on things that maybe were subtle but seem very obvious to me. I spent the better part of two years saying that insiders were full of **** and by Grubb's own admission he and his highfalutin buddies were having a giggle, and in those ways, I stand here in the crypt vindicated... But those were statements I made on more than just gut feeling or bitter thoughts, and I ignored hope for hope's sake. I'm not on the other side of this Mii costume hoping for hope's sake or trying to make myself look like the good guy, I firmly believe that something fishy is going on and Nintendo/Sakurai have more coming for us than we suspect.

I suppose despite what many may believe to be a defeatist attitude, I have always been the one who will watch my opponent come off of the respawn platform with 2 stocks while I'm on my last one at >100% and not concede the game, and in fact fight harder than I did before. It's not over until that sad handshake in the loser's bracket.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I knew Nintendo picking the DLC would be a curse since 2018 but hey, its business. Neither Nintendo, Sakurai or Square have any incentive to put Geno in. It's an obscure character that has appeared in one game that most fans have been happy not to have in him. Tbh, this should been expected since.

It's a bummer really, Guess the real message here is that if your character ain't popular, they have no chance on smash. What hurts more is that Geno not going to be appear again in smash ever. If he couldn't appear in the Ultimate Smash Game, what are chances with much more small, concise reboot?

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I knew Nintendo picking the DLC would be a curse since 2018 but hey, its business. Neither Nintendo, Sakurai or Square have any incentive to put Geno in. It's an obscure character that has appeared in one game that most fans have been happy not to have in him. Tbh, this should been expected since.

It's a bummer really, Guess the real message here is that if your character ain't popular, they have no chance on smash. What hurts more is that Geno not going to be appear again in smash ever. If he couldn't appear in the Ultimate Smash Game, what are chances with much more small, concise reboot?
I don’t see what the problem with Nintendo picking the dlc is. They’ve chose a lot of solid picks.

Firox

Smash Master
I don’t see what the problem with Nintendo picking the dlc is. They’ve chose a lot of solid picks.
Granted, the picks so far have been solid for somebody. Just not for those of us that are hoping for semi-obscure fan picks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The idea here is not that the picks are not solid, it's that they're not done purely to put a smile on someone's face. We're out here trying to believe in the Tooth Fairy and Nintendo's slapping the teeth out of our mouth and telling us to pay for it, you feel me?

Firox

Smash Master
The idea here is not that the picks are not solid, it's that they're not done purely to put a smile on someone's face. We're out here trying to believe in the Tooth Fairy and Nintendo's slapping the teeth out of our mouth and telling us to pay for it, you feel me?
LOL What he said.^

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, pulling back from Geno for a sec, Sephiroth was a surprisingly good add for DLC speculation:

-First unique (non-echo) secondary third party character.

-First time a third party franchise has specifically double dipped for DLC.

-First time an already present third party franchise has gotten a significant boost in content via DLC.

-Sakurai still gives zero ****s about the "anime swordsmen/too many swords" argument.

He's a game changer. We now have two companies with 3 unique reps (SEGA and Square), so either getting a fourth wouldn't even be that much of a fence jump anymore. Microsoft, Konami, and Capcom can most definitely get a third unique rep and it be a non-issue. Literally any franchise in Smash including first party can be significantly expanded upon with DLC (Mario RPG music, anyone?). Despite how most of the Geno fanbase feels right now, Sephiroth definitely bulldozed the "it's too late" mentality so, yes, Monster Hunter and Street Fighter, for example, can definitely be expanded on despite base game content.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
If Nintendo wasnt so immature during the 1990s with Square and worked with them to make SMRPG2, Geno wouldve been lock. Guess that's what happens when you like obsecure characters.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Literally any franchise in Smash including first party can be significantly expanded upon with DLC (Mario RPG music, anyone?). Despite how most of the Geno fanbase feels right now, Sephiroth definitely bulldozed the "it's too late" mentality so, yes, Monster Hunter and Street Fighter, for example, can definitely be expanded on despite base game content.
Yeah, if they weren't Mii Costumes or Assisted. Sephiroth wasn't either. Does boost the chances of Eggman though

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
If Nintendo wasnt so immature during the 1990s with Square and worked with them to make SMRPG2, Geno wouldve been lock. Guess that's what happens when you like obsecure characters.
Let’s run this scenario.

Nintendo seems to be on better terms with Square now. Sephiroth, the music, and the mii fighter costumes are enough to show that.

SMRPG 25th anniversary coming on March. SMRPG2 announced. Geno and Mallow brought back as characters.

Suddenly, his popularity isn’t “obscure” anymore. He is now “relevant” again.

Smash reveal. Geno

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Let’s run this scenario.

Nintendo seems to be on better terms with Square now. Sephiroth, the music, and the mii fighter costumes are enough to show that.

SMRPG 25th anniversary coming on March. SMRPG2 announced. Geno and Mallow brought back as characters.

Suddenly, his popularity is “obscure” anymore. He is now “relevant” again.

Smash reveal
Dude, as I much as I want to believe that, it just sounds like wishful thinking as a coping mechanism. Nintendo couldn't be bothered to recognize the game in Mario Game Tweet Thread. Plus if they were coming, why bring back the Costumes. All Third Party Mii Costumes didn't become fighters so why is Geno different?

Look it would be amazing for SMRPG recognition but it is what it is. Geno ain't coming back rn. Best we can know is to look to the future even though it ain't much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dude, as I much as I want to believe that, it just sounds like wishful thinking as a coping mechanism. Nintendo couldn't be bothered to recognize the game in Mario Game Tweet Thread. Plus if a characters coming, why bring back the costumers. All Third Party Mii Costumes didn't become fighters so why Geno different.

Look it would be amazing for SMRPG recognition but it is what it is. Geno ain't coming back rn. Best we can know is to look to the future even though it ain't much.
So what's the future, if you don't mind me asking?

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
Dude, as I much as I want to believe that, it just sounds like wishful thinking as a coping mechanism. Nintendo couldn't be bothered to recognize the game in Mario Game Tweet Thread. Plus if a characters coming, why bring back the costumers. All Third Party Mii Costumes didn't become fighters so why Geno different.

That’s why it’s called a scenario, not a fact or absolute.

Nintendo already recognized SMRPG earlier this year. So it’s definitely on their mind and we still have rumors about of SMRPG2.

As for bringing the Mii’s back, this has been answered multiple times. Simply to bring all of the previous Mii costume backs.

Why wouldn’t they want the extra money from an already developed item that needs very minor modification?

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

Nintendo already recognized SMRPG earlier this year. So it’s definitely on their mind and we still have rumors about of SMRPG2.

As for bringing the Mii’s back, this has been answered multiple times. Simply to bring all of the previous Mii costume backs.

Why wouldn’t they want the extra money from an already developed item that needs very minor modification?
When did they promote SMRPG?

Also that second part could apply for all mii Costumes, not to mention its owned by Square which both companies would rather promote popular characters like Crono, Noctis, Black Mage. With the 3 parties in mind of Sakurai, Nintendo and Square. Geno is low priority. It hurts but it's true. Why do you think Nintendo is dripping feed titles on NSO but not SMRPG?

Firox

Smash Master
-Sakurai still gives zero ****s about the "anime swordsmen/too many swords" argument.
While this may be true, I'm not sure how good I feel about this. I know swords are a heavily cliche weapon of choice for many VG protagonists/antagonists, but there really is only so much originality you can give to a moveset that hinges on swinging around a long, sharp piece of metal. The only real claim to fame Sephy has among the current swordies is his insanely long sword, unique projectiles and OWA mode. Beyond that, I worry that future swordies would simply be an amalgamation of existing movesets, which we've already started to see with the likes of Hero and others. It's not a good sign when characters can be described as

-Link's dash attack
-Link's Dsmash
-Ike's Fsmash
-Chrom's Up Smash
-Mii Swordfighter's Up B multi-slash, etc.

drewber2635

Smash Cadet

The future is clouded but man I hope that scenario plays out

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I don’t get why people are trying to point the blame on Nintendo for the lack of Mario RPG or Geno in smash. We’ve got a potential real Japanese 4chan leak that knew about sephiroph and the Geno mii in advance and it claims that square would be okay about putting Geno in as long as people want a remake of super Mario RPG.

the lake could be fake but right now it’s potentially real and is saying in order to get Geno in smash we need that super Mario RPG remake which square are on board for doing as long as there’s a demand for it and yet everyone is trying to stick the blame elsewhere.

we should be focusing on getting that remake. Even if that leak is false we can’t keep sticking the blame on Nintendo or square when we haven’t even pushed for a mario RPG remake.

If arlo can make a petition about paper mario and get over 50k signings then we can get papagenos to make a petition and get other people to sign it and show the demand for a mario RPG remake. Answers potentially right there and we’re choosing to ignore it

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
When did they promote SMRPG?

Also that second part could apply for all mii Costumes, not to mention its owned by Square which both companies would rather promote popular characters like Crono, Noctis, Black Mage. With the 3 parties in mind of Sakurai, Nintendo and Square. Geno is low priority. It hurts but it's true. Why do you think Nintendo is dripping feed titles on NSO but not SMRPG?
It was earlier this year so, give me some time to search for it.

As for your second paragraph, what does that have anything to do with my post?

Did you read the full thing? Have we already forgotten about reintroducing all the previous costumes and how it’s easy money to just slightly touch up an already created asset?

Edit: Oof, rereading this post, it comes off as super hostile.

Not the intention. I just try to avoid falling into red herrings or random topics.

Last edited:

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice im actually starting to wonder if minmin is the only spirits upgrade and she was decided much later than other characters

i actually dont think that well get any more straight spirit upgrades, the most i can think of is an assist trophy upgrade, all of which also have spirits.

overall its just a bit worrying that they start the pass on a spirit fighter then the next two are just standard third partys.Suggests they may not care about spirits as much as you think they do

i also think mii costume upgrades are much more unlikely than assist trophy upgrades and im already worrying a bit about whether we will get even one assist trophy, it only depends on if nintendo wanted waluigi or not i dont think they will upgrade isaac unless they wanted to make him a shill character

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was alphabetically organizing my file cabinet of personal opinions people hate and I kind of realized that, despite the pandemic, the 2-3 gap for Smash DLC has held up pretty well.

Fighter's Pass- December (official launch and Joker reveal), February (Plant, Joker release date revealed), April (Joker), June (Hero and Banjo reveal), July (Hero), September (Banjo, Terry reveal), November (Terry), January (Byleth)

Season 2- January (official launch), late March (ARMS rep reveal), late June (Min Min), early October (Steve), December (Sephiroth)

We have an Amiibo wave in March which means we're likely getting a March release. Looking at the past including Smash 4, this also suggests that March will probably have a reveal too because Joker's release date wasn't revealed until February 2019. This means we could be potentially two packs at least announced by E3.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don’t get why people are trying to point the blame on Nintendo for the lack of Mario RPG or Geno in smash. We’ve got a potential real Japanese 4chan leak that knew about sephiroph and the Geno mii in advance and it claims that square would be okay about putting Geno in as long as people want a remake of super Mario RPG.

the lake could be fake but right now it’s potentially real and is saying in order to get Geno in smash we need that super Mario RPG remake which square are on board for doing as long as there’s a demand for it and yet everyone is trying to stick the blame elsewhere.

we should be focusing on getting that remake. Even if that leak is false we can’t keep sticking the blame on Nintendo or square when we haven’t even pushed for a mario RPG remake.

If arlo can make a petition about paper mario and get over 50k signings then we can get papagenos to make a petition and get other people to sign it and show the demand for a mario RPG remake. Answers potentially right there and we’re choosing to ignore it
The reason why people are putting the blame on Nintendo is because of how they handle their RPG franchise (Mario and Luigi, as well as Paper Mario). Honestly, it´s because of their mentality with RPGs that I doubt we are ever getting one until we get some new management there.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The reason why people are putting the blame on Nintendo is because of how they handle their RPG franchise (Mario and Luigi, as well as Paper Mario). Honestly, it´s because of their mentality with RPGs that I doubt we are ever getting one until we get some new management there.
define what you mean by “handled mario and Luigi” because they were never in charge of the mario and Luigi series. Alphadream made it clear in a dream team interview that they had the final say over what they did in the mario and Luigi RPG games.

unless your referring to letting alphadream rot and not buying them out.

Firox

Smash Master
The sad thing is, even if by some miracle we could coax SE into making SMRPG 2 or remake, I have a strong suspicion that it would be Nintendo to kill it in its tracks being the hyper-prude idiots they are and the fact that they wouldn't be able to stand SE making a better Mario RPG than they could.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice im actually starting to wonder if minmin is the only spirits upgrade and she was decided much later than other characters

i actually dont think that well get any more straight spirit upgrades, the most i can think of is an assist trophy upgrade, all of which also have spirits.

overall its just a bit worrying that they start the pass on a spirit fighter then the next two are just standard third partys.Suggests they may not care about spirits as much as you think they do

i also think mii costume upgrades are much more unlikely than assist trophy upgrades and im already worrying a bit about whether we will get even one assist trophy, it only depends on if nintendo wanted waluigi or not i dont think they will upgrade isaac unless they wanted to make him a shill character
Another reason why I think Mii costume and Assist Trophy promotions will eventually happen is because people want them to. The Smash fanbase doesn't have a consensus on who for either category but I feel like a vast majority of Smash fans have at least one character they want to see make the jump. It's a pretty popular opinion even if the choices are all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom