• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be perfectly honest, I don't particularly care much about posts that highlight various examples about how much people are ragging on us. If I wanted to be reminded about stuff like that, I ideally wouldn't come to a character support thread to talk about a character I like and be around people that feel the same way. Yet, here we are.

I don't really think directing our eyes to people that are kicking us down is a super positive thing to do here, is all I'm saying. I'd recommend perhaps not doing that.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Theres one part that's confusing? We know why Nintendo did it but the real question how were they able to take down 2 SMRPG songs? Pretty sure it belongs to Square right unless I'm missing something?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To be perfectly honest, I don't entirely disagree with you. Some of the regulars in this thread are the most toxic people I've met in smash speculation. They even **** on me, a fellow Geno fan, when I dare to mention a character like King Boo or something. The problem is that those people don't represent all Geno fans. The majority of us just sit around here and hope for our character, and we get bullied by people who lump us all in with the vocal minority who acts the way you describe. Most of us are entirely harmless, and it really sucks for us to get ****ted on by the rest of the smash fanbase because SOME Geno fans that we don't like either act like assholes.
I admit that there are times that I'm an asshole in here but that's just it... I keep it here. I don't go into specific character threads to complain about their fanbases or whether or not I think their chances are great. If I go into other character threads, it's to say something good or positive or share something that could be of interest to them. I honestly feel like this should be a disclaimer for any of the specific character threads: if you go into a thread that's not your character's, don't be surprised if people don't want them or like them. "Why don't more of you support Lara Croft/2B/Rex?" Sir, this is the Geno thread... And people have literally come in here from other sites to complain about my opinions on whoever their most wanted is. Wasn't thrilled by Daisy but still accepted it. Wasn't thrilled by Steve but still accepted it. Same thing will happen if another character is added that I don't really like or want and that's just that. If people don't like the opinions of certain people, put them on ignore and get on with it.

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
Dinoman96 Dinoman96 aight dude can you just stop pretending you arent just subtel trolling this thread,
nobody wants a ****ing assist trophy, im very sure 99 percent of this thread prefers the mii costume to that, GO AWAY

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice not gonna lie, some ofyour examples of fan rules being “broken are pretty weak, i dont really think stuff like “microsoft cant have characters” in on the same level as mii costumes deconfirm or spirits deconfirm. dont get me wrong,fan rules have been broken here and there, but i also think you make up a lotta stuff that wasnt pushed by very many people in the community just to make it look like fanrules are broken more often then they are

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Again, why do you people keep thinking that Geno couldn't be an assist trophy and also get his Mii outfit back later when plenty of other characters like Isaac or Bomberman have both?

It's not a troll, god damn. I'm saying that if Geno wasn't in the cards to be made playable, then they should of just saved his fandom the trouble and "hard deconfirm" him in the base game and give him a nice 3D model with an active role, instead of just dragging it out as long as they did with the Mii outfit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This whole thing also shows that 99.9% of the fanbase giving up isn't enough for these people. They want total subjugation. They want stories in their news feed of people being depressed and suicidal. It's not even about Geno because if everyone folded they'd just find a new target. As I've shown, denying them this shows them for who they really are. These people aren't worth the emotional expenditure (if anything of value at all).
These are the kinds of things I like to read because it gives us a purpose beyond getting a magic doll into a children's party game, or seeing him back in any form, or whatever your personal motivations might be at this point.

I don't want to make this community sound more important than it is, but if not Geno, which character? Who gets to draw the ire of every sad /v/irgin and gamefaqs user? Rayman? Ryu from not Street Fighter? Phoenix Wright? Reimu?

There's a lot of characters in the world that people want, and at the end of the day, they can't all get in, but boy would I prefer to see the Brawl days again where it wasn't off to the gulag with whatever character's fanbase didn't make it. There's probably select individuals in certain fabases that "deserve" to wear the shoe on the other foot if all of us Geno fans were to disappear, but something special about this fanbase is that a huge majority of it is old blood. We've known disappointment for years on end, and we've caught flak for quite some time, as well. We can take it. Can the people who eke out joy from terrorizing others really hang in there if they have to be on the business end of the same weapon they've been using? I don't want them to end up in too dark of a place.

Basically, if it means we can take the bullets everyone else would be getting without us, damn right we should be taking those bullets. If our hope beyond death pays off, and there is indeed justice in this vast cosmos, then great. Maybe everyone will learn a valuable lesson about the possibilities that Smash produces. Otherwise? It's valuable community service.

Smile every time you see a thread about how "deluisional geno[friends] are still hanging onto hope", it's a thread that wasn't aimed at someone who might be more vulnerable.

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
Dinoman96 Dinoman96

*looks at posting history

*never posted in geno thred until mii costume confirmed, immediately came in to stand on a high horse and tell others they are wrong

you are such a horrible liar, get the hell out of here. its been two or thrre days since the mii costume yet you
Have nothing better to do than to come in here and make insecure troll attempting and then pretend you are innocent. didnt hear me the first time, GO AWAY

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dinoman96 Dinoman96 aight dude can you just stop pretending you arent just subtel trolling this thread,
nobody wants a ****ing assist trophy, im very sure 99 percent of this thread prefers the mii costume to that, GO AWAY

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice not gonna lie, some ofyour examples of fan rules being “broken are pretty weak, i dont really think stuff like “microsoft cant have characters” in on the same level as mii costumes deconfirm or spirits deconfirm. dont get me wrong,fan rules have been broken here and there, but i also think you make up a lotta stuff that wasnt pushed by very many people in the community just to make it look like fanrules are broken more often then they are
I've been doing this long enough that Banjo was considered borderline impossible by most from 2005 until his reveal. "He's irrelevant, he's now owned by a competitor, etc." Hell, it's only been 5 years but Cloud was once considered on par with characters like Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot as probable for Smash. "He's a 'Sony' character, FF VII isn't on Nintendo platforms so he can't happen, etc." Bayonetta was considered "too mature", avatar characters like Villager, Miis, and Robin were regularly dismissed for 'not being real characters', etc. Lots of characters that are now in were regularly dismissed before their addition.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Quick question guys: I'm trying to upload my Sephiroth Challenge match on YouTube but some guy told me I have to upload it to Twitter and than download it from there to upload to YouTube. Also, do I have to put in my social media account information on my Switch to legally upload it? I ask because when I looked at my information at the bottom of the page after the Sephiroth Challenge regarding my security it said "Your connection to this page is encrypted." can someone give me a anwser?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I admit that there are times that I'm an asshole in here but that's just it... I keep it here. I don't go into specific character threads to complain about their fanbases or whether or not I think their chances are great. If I go into other character threads, it's to say something good or positive or share something that could be of interest to them. I honestly feel like this should be a disclaimer for any of the specific character threads: if you go into a thread that's not your character's, don't be surprised if people don't want them or like them. "Why don't more of you support Lara Croft/2B/Rex?" Sir, this is the Geno thread... And people have literally come in here from other sites to complain about my opinions on whoever their most wanted is. Wasn't thrilled by Daisy but still accepted it. Wasn't thrilled by Steve but still accepted it. Same thing will happen if another character is added that I don't really like or want and that's just that. If people don't like the opinions of certain people, put them on ignore and get on with it.
Actually you weren't one of the users I was thinking of. I've never seen you diss anyone for liking a character. Actually the opposite, I remember you sticking up for judgeheihachi when people were laughing at him after the heihachi mii costume. I think most of us can name about four or five people in the thread that tend to give us a bad name though.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
Basically, Nintendo is trying to sell the DLC to people that don't already play Smash bros. The sad reality of that fact is that we, the devoted Smash bros fanbase, get treated like **** as a result. If the DLC happens to be something we want, that's coincidence, not appeasement...except for B-K. That was our one little scooby snack from corporate Nintendo.
I dunno about that one. What game was Joker advertising? What game was Terry advertising?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Theres one part that's confusing? We know why Nintendo did it but the real question how were they able to take down 2 SMRPG songs? Pretty sure it belongs to Square right unless I'm missing something?
Square might've just asked them to do it or it's a troll.

I do want to point out that those songs are all on a streaming service named Pandora. You can pay to actually play those songs whenever you want(otherwise you have to play ads first or wait for it to luckily come up). In order for those songs(any) to be Pandora, that means they're getting revenue/royalties. In other words, they were most likely taken down for actual "so we can make money on them again". I noted it before last night, but multiple songs, if not the whole soundtrack, is on there. It's like things like iTunes. Same difference, really. It might be on there too.

It's not an OST CD release, but the OST is basically available in some way that is not entirely free, so it being free on Youtube would cut into their ideal sales.

If it helps, I would've rather it related to Smash too, but there's a good explanation for it now. Beyond simply copyright claim.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm going to be perfectly honest, I don't particularly care much about posts that highlight various examples about how much people are ragging on us. If I wanted to be reminded about stuff like that, I ideally wouldn't come to a character support thread to talk about a character I like and be around people that feel the same way. Yet, here we are.

I don't really think directing our eyes to people that are kicking us down is a super positive thing to do here, is all I'm saying. I'd recommend perhaps not doing that.
I guess you’re right.

Nothing we say will change their minds anyway; if they don’t care enough to inform themselves before generalizing us, they probably don’t care at all.

To turn things back to Geno specifically, and positivity:

I found this cool cover of Rawest Forest; it also has some cute and funny artwork:

I actually heard this before, so I didn’t actually “find” it, but I don’t remember if I shared it or not, or if someone else did. I rediscovered it recently.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Actually you weren't one of the users I was thinking of. I've never seen you diss anyone for liking a character. Actually the opposite, I remember you sticking up for judgeheihachi when people were laughing at him after the heihachi mii costume. I think most of us can name about four or five people in the thread that tend to give us a bad name though.
Oh, no, I almost never single out users. If I don't like a character, I focus on the character because it's a dumb thing to get personal about it. Insinuating liking a certain character is a character flaw is... petty. For example, anything bad I had to say about Steve I said it about Steve himself. I wouldn't be like StarLight42 StarLight42 , you're a cur and a cad and I'm coming to run you over with my SUV because you want Steve! If I complain about Sora, I typically don't drag specific users or the whole fanbase. Nekoo Nekoo , you're a Sora fan AND you're French!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sigh... I guess no one will give me a simple answer.
Here, I'll help you. To use twitter on th e switch, I do believe you have to log on on the switch so it will allow you to post stuff. I cant comment on the whole video thing but you can just post the clip to twitter and download it, yeah. Duunno if its necessary but I know you can do it

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh, no, I almost never single out users. If I don't like a character, I focus on the character because it's a dumb thing to get personal about it. Insinuating liking a certain character is a character flaw is... petty. For example, anything bad I had to say about Steve I said it about Steve himself. I wouldn't be like StarLight42 StarLight42 , you're a cur and a cad and I'm coming to run you over with my SUV because you want Steve! If I complain about Sora, I typically don't drag specific users or the whole fanbase. Nekoo Nekoo , you're a Sora fan AND you're French!
Still remember how we threw **** at each others for the two/three months before smash ultimate and Grinch Leak about how you though Disney wouldn't let Sora crossover in ANYTHING because of the Mickey Mouse Keychain, and I though that Geno wasn't coming at all and the Grinch leak was fake.
But it wasn't a fair battle since I knew from the start it was false thanks to le Ebin insider infoes and that Hero was gonna be the Square-Enix DLC.

And oui oui. Je suis français.

Omelette du fromage, that's how you guys say it in america, right?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here, I'll help you. To use twitter on th e switch, I do believe you have to log on on the switch so it will allow you to post stuff. I cant comment on the whole video thing but you can just post the clip to twitter and download it, yeah. Duunno if its necessary but I know you can do it
Like log online?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Like log online?
I cant remeber exactly what I did but i think you had to link you twitter to the switch, hold up
ok got it. Here is what I did

1. Select your Profile from your Switch's Home screen.
  2. Select User Settings from the menu on the left.
  3. Select Posting to Social Media from the options on the right.
  4. Select Link next to Facebook or Twitter.I
After that, you can post clips and screenshots up on yout twitter, 4 at once and one vid at a time

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
God, Twitter users are legit starting to piss me off with their idiocy, trying to excuse their behavior.

“Oh it’s not bullying, we’re just poking fun at a dead Mario character, quit being so sensitive lololol”

My dudes, there’s poking fun and then there’s being a legitimate prick for calling anyone who supported him stupid, delusional or a crybaby for being disappointed, if anything I’m more baffled you take so much energy crapping on fans of a character you don’t even care about.

If Geno’s so insignificant and irrelevant, then why does he have a costume in a massive gaming crossover in the first place???

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
God, Twitter users are legit starting to piss me off with their idiocy, trying to excuse their behavior.

“Oh it’s not bullying, we’re just poking fun at a dead Mario character, quit being so sensitive lololol”

My dudes, there’s poking fun and then there’s being a legitimate prick for calling anyone who supported him stupid, delusional or a crybaby for being disappointed, if anything I’m more baffled you take so much energy crapping on fans of a character you don’t even care about.

If Geno’s so insignificant and irrelevant, then why does he have a costume in a massive gaming crossover in the first place???
This begs the question

Why do you care so much to keep looking. You would think if you hate it so much, you would stop looking at twitter, or, well, block the people.if you have an account

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Still remember how we threw **** at each others for the two/three months before smash ultimate and Grinch Leak about how you though Disney wouldn't let Sora crossover in ANYTHING because of the Mickey Mouse Keychain, and I though that Geno wasn't coming at all and the Grinch leak was fake.
But it wasn't a fair battle since I knew from the start it was false thanks to le Ebin insider infoes and that Hero was gonna be the Square-Enix DLC.

And oui oui. Je suis français.

Omelette du fromage, that's how you guys say it in america, right?
Just as an aside, I like France. I've studied French to some degree since I was 12 and I currently have 527 "crowns" in French on Duolingo so it's my second most proficient reading language by far. Been to France too and it's a beautiful country. I don't know if I ever explained to you specifically why I use it as a pseudo-insult but, in 2002, France very openly opposed the US invading Iraq and, especially where I lived, it became very common to openly hate and ridicule anything French afterwards. Boycotts were demanded, people unironically wanted to call French fries "Freedom fries", etc. The rest of the world was like "... Are you serious..." but, especially in the Midwest and South it was a huge thing for some people, my parents included, despite growing up near literally one French restaurant in St. Louis. Ironically, I took french classes at the time and my teacher for two years (who was Parisian) was one of my favorite teachers ever (especially because she often brought in sliced baguettes and Le Roule, that ****'s delicious). Eventually it fizzled out but looking back on it was genuinely hilarious because my parents never bought anything genuinely French anyways and I think the only openly French things I regularly saw in stores aside from wines and cheeses was Orangina. Still, bit of useless trivia because literally no one asked. :troll:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I saw the Direct with Miyamoto showing off Super Nintendo World and one idea that came in my mind was a toy factory with Mini-Marios on display. In one corner was Smithy's Factory with you guessed it - Geno on display fighting him alongside Mallow and Bowser. This only makes Geno's deconfimation worse; he could have gotten an amiibo at long last and possibly have it sold alongside the Mario merch at that park. Never mind all the other toy-themed games and locales/etc. Mario has had since. You could even have small figurines out a bubblegum machine with characters from SMRPG, the designs in that game literally set the stage for that type of thing.

Geno is irrelevant? Geno and the rest of the SMRPG cast could seamlessly fit right in to this day with the rest of the Mario world...and still do. John Oswald put it best years ago:
"If creativity is the field, copyright is the fence."

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice

Twitter users are legit bots. You say you dont care about geno yet you all seem to be giving him alot of attention. Their making a bigger deal of the mii costume coming back than we are.

Firox

Smash Master
I dunno about that one. What game was Joker advertising? What game was Terry advertising?
It's not about advertising a specific game. It's about attracting fanbases outside of Smash while simultaneously offering advertisement for Nintendo's partners. Joker was reaching out to the Playstation/JRPG fans while Terry was reaching out to the FGC. Granted, both of these picks also tickled Sakurai's personal fancy. Notice how neither of them appeared anywhere within the Smash fanbase polls? That's because the Smash fanbase at large was NOT the target audience for them.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Being a merger doesn't change that the licensing is hard designed to be based around individuals. They're separated for the most part. That's why Square has only Square content, and Enix strictly has only Enix content. We don't actually see them together. This is already evidence in Smash and was a theory at first by other users, but it showed to be exactly the case.
Okay, so why has Dragon Quest been internally developed by Square Enix ever since the merger instead of being licensed to Chunsoft/Spike Chunsoft like the Enix days? Yes, licensing for a property is a case-by-case basis with the creators that are involved with the original property even if it's from the same third-party publisher, but you're incorrect in saying that Square and Enix operate separately, they do not. Enix utilises Square's development teams.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Twitter users are legit bots. You say you dont care about geno yet you all seem to be giving him alot of attention. Their making a bigger deal of the mii costume coming back than we are.
Which is why, if this is a fake out, it's kind of brilliant because I've noticed that Geno's Mii costume is getting the most attention of any Mii costume since Sans. Everybody prevalent in the Smash community is commenting on it one way another. It's like with Ultimate's reveal and how, despite everything packed into that presentation, Waluigi being an assist trophy was still one of the biggest talking points. It's genuinely funny because Square finally got off its ass and pretty solidly fixed the two Skittles at the bottom of a popcorn bowl equivalent of FF content in Smash and Geno's STILL the biggest thing people are actually talking about, maybe even on par with Sephiroth himself.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
I saw the Direct with Miyamoto showing off Super Nintendo World and one idea that came in my mind was a toy factory with Mini-Marios on display. In one corner was Smithy's Factory with you guessed it - Geno on display fighting him alongside Mallow and Bowser. This only makes Geno's deconfimation worse; he could have gotten an amiibo at long last and possibly have it sold alongside the Mario merch at that park. Never mind all the other toy-themed games and locales/etc. Mario has had since.

Geno is irrelevant? Geno and the rest of the SMRPG cast could seamlessly fit right in to this day with the rest of the Mario world...and still do.
I think the classic paper Mario fans can relate a lot on that last note (there's probably a lot of overlap between SMRPG and paper Mario fans anyways though.) I feel all of the RPGs have characters that fit in with the world of Mario pretty darn well, which is why it strikes me as so odd that the supposed IP protection team not only doesn't want to use them, but outright forbids their usage and the creation of more of them. on the basis of them being too out there (especially when partners in Paper Mario are mostly just enemies given their own identities and designs).

I really do feel that, were Nintendo to give the RPG characters a bigger chance in the other spin offs like Mario party or Mario kart, at the very least, people would love them as members of the main cast. Worst case scenario, they'd probably be neutral additions that don't really harm the games. I really doubt people would look at Mario Party, see Goombella on the cover of it, and decide not to buy it just because she's in it. Mario's too big of a household name for something like that.
Same applies to SMRPG characters. In the magical scenario where Geno and Mallow were still owned by Nintendo, and they were included in something like Mario Kart, Geno for Smash might not even be as big of a deal for people as it is now. It'd still exist most likely, but I think part of the reason really is just for the chance to see Geno again (that's one of my reasons anyways), and the fact that i's always such an uphill battle when it comes to Mario's RPGs... Yeah, it's depressing.

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
Geno Detractors.... hmmm

The internet is a lovely place, but it has desensitized anybody to having consequences for their actions. People can tell you to kys, or call you any name under the sun, and not have to see your face or how they are effecting you.

People have lost the sense of how they truly effect or hurt people. It’s just so much easier to be a complete douche canoe now.

Let’s add this to the idea that people naturally want to be a part of something and they want to feel superior.

Being a detractor makes someone feel belonged and gives them a false sense of superiority. That’s it, plain and simple. They don’t care about Geno’s inclusion or not. They don’t care how they affect people.

If you ask them why they don’t want Geno, they parrot two things:

He has only appeared in one game.
He’s not even the main character.

Both of these things are factually false. The problem is, they don’t care.

Detractors don’t do research, they don’t come up with their own opinion, they don’t try to challenge their own mindset.

People like this never grow as people. They will never be able to push further because they will never be able to challenge themselves to grow or take initiative to show they have the capability of doing something beyond what others think of them.

Let them be miserable. Let them hate. Let them stagnate. Most importantly, don’t give them attention. Don’t stoop down to their level.

If you argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to being an idiot with them and beat you with experience.

Continue to have your own opinion. Continue to challenge yourself, your ideals, and hold on hope for your own future.

Take the road less traveled. Take the higher road. Take... the star road.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Not to be that guy but for people constantly saying Twitter users and ResetEra users don’t matter they’re living rent free in y’all’s heads. Y’all are talking about them constantly and it’s derailing the thread so in their heads they’re winning. I think it’s a good time for a change of topic.

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Not to be that guy but for people constantly saying Twitter users and ResetEra users don’t matter they’re living rent free in y’all’s heads. Y’all are talking about them constantly and it’s derailing the thread so in their heads they’re winning. I think it’s a good time for a change of topic.
"rent free in y'all's heads."
Like how ♡♪!? lived rent free in Geno's head in the game Super Mario RPG? Eeeeeh? Eeeeeeeeh?
No? Okay, I'll stop.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I think something that a lot of people are quick to forget is that when FP2 was announced, they said all 6 fighters would be finished by the end of 2021. This was before COVID and this was before they started working on at least Steve gameplay-wise and realized how much of a technical headache working on him and Min-Min would be.

With both Min Min and Steve being mentioned by Sakurai as taking longer due to technical issues with their mechanics and moveset, it stands to reason that FP2 was originally meant to be on similar schedule to FP1, which delivered a character roughly every 2 months or so. The entirety of FP1 released in the span of April-January, with all indications being that Byleth was delayed and originally meant to be a December release. That’s 9 months (originally 8) for 5 characters.

Min Min was delayed, Steve was delayed, COVID delayed things in general, but at the time thegame plan for FP2 was made and they announced it, they went from “8-9 months for 5 characters” to “2 years for 6”?

If they stay on-track as-is with a roughly-bimonthly release schedule, then the last three characters will be released by June/July. Unless they’re also highly technical characters that they were anticipating development hurdles on, that still means that we have an entire 5-6 months left for the end of FP2, and with 4 slot’s leftover in the code, that works out to fit 2-3 bonus fighters into my schedule. Min Min’s delay (and Byleth’s too) pushing things back roughly two-three months almost means that in a hypothetical “original scenario”, FP2 is done in April-May and giving you 7-8 months to stay on a bimonthly rotation for exactly 4 additional characters

It doesn’t mean much for Geno specifically, necessarily, but just looking at what we’ve been told and how things have gone up until now, expecting nothing and expecting that nothing to come almost half a year sooner than told seems like the thing not to do here because shenanigans are afoot due to the timetable being wildly off unless there are non-FP2 fighters somewhere in the mix. Whether at the end or interlaced in-between

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
It's not about advertising a specific game. It's about attracting fanbases outside of Smash while simultaneously offering advertisement for Nintendo's partners. Joker was reaching out to the Playstation/JRPG fans while Terry was reaching out to the FGC. Granted, both of these picks also tickled Sakurai's personal fancy. Notice how neither of them appeared anywhere within the Smash fanbase polls? That's because the Smash fanbase at large was NOT the target audience for them.
Yeah but the definition of a "Smash fanbase request" is pretty vague. Preferences change all the time.

For instance, you mentioned Smash fanbase polls as an indication for Smash popularity, which is sketchy at best. If we look at Source Gaming's Mega Smash poll, we see characters like Doomguy and Reimu crack the top 15 despite them not appearing in Smash speculation AT ALL prior to Fighter Pass 1 speculation. I've also seen the likes of Heavy and 2B appear in polls, and no way you'd call them traditional Smash fanbase favourites. I think characters like Joker and Terry have open the doors for a wider range of third-party characters entering, and that's a good thing.

Meanwhile, some posts here suggest Hero and Steve aren't for the Smash fanbase, despite Sakurai already stating that both characters were literally added because of fan demand.

Of course, Geno is definitely a bona fide Smash fanbase request, no doubt, as are the likes of Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, etc. But it's not that simple.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Why do you care about these people ? You want me to believe you don't care, but you're only posting about them. They are as much dumb as dumb people can be on the internet, "geno haters" aren't special. This thread seem to talk way more about geno haters than people are actually hating. As always, vocal minority probably makes it look bigger.

You always want to look like the victims, but the fault is only on yourselves. When you claim stuff like Geno should be more important to Nintendo's eyes than Sephiroth, Sora, Lara Croft or even Waluigi, you deserve to be mocked because you're only spreading misinformation. There is no reason you should be free to do that while misinformation is already the plague of the internet. The most virulent "haters" are mostly dumb people who wants to defend their most wanted because you offended them by belittling their character, and they're only the dumb ones among all the smash fans you offended, most people simply assume you're all dumb and go on. If they were just evil like you seem to describe them, they would hate everyone, not just Geno.

You're the only supporting community that regularly **** on others characters, and this is the only reason why you get this hate. Sorry but you're not the victim of a worldwide conspiration that was born to hate Geno...

If you all still want to cultivate your ignorance and make these kind of bold claims, you should make them in private like everyone does, this thread doesn't belong to your community, it belongs to the smash community, everything you say here can offend people outside of this thread. This is a public thread and everyone should be responsible of what they say in public.

After all this years, you all still don't seem to understand why people like to mock this thread, and that's why people continue to do it (this is a quite typical pattern). Or maybe you're all trolls and like to be in this situation and that's why you're not doing anything to fix it, then you would have no right to complain. If this is the case, trolling is still bad but at least it's good entertainment to me. I still like this thread for being the source of interesting information if I ignore the Geno bias.
I think I might’ve stirred something up here so let me clarify some stuff. I put some stuff in spoilers again to save page space and not crowd anything up.

I’ve only made one post on the matter in the past year or so complaining about the current state of Geno affairs. You can look at my post history or whatever, but personally this was the first (and last) time I’ve done this in awhile, and I’m not planning on making a billion other posts complaining about other people complaining. That seems a little... Counterintuitive. I recommend others to do the same, let’s try and not flood the thread with that kinda stuff.

I wouldn’t say I’m going out of my way to “look like a victim” when I am simply venting my frustrations with having strangers on the internet berate me. I don’t think asking for Geno to be in Smash and be made more important in the Mario franchise is grounds for deserving that kind of behavior anyhow. I don’t know where this idea that Geno fans belittle other people’s most wanted’s came from, probably from Serenade’s massive post where he dunked on Banjo (which was, uh, well it was a thing that happened), but it’s not very wise to assume the entire thread does that on a daily basis. 90% of the people here are very open to other people’s most wanted’s. For every bad offender there’s like, five more people who are super welcoming and optimistic.

I’m not even going to touch on the “this thread belongs to the Smash community” comment because it’s just weird. It’s a thread on the internet that was made with the express purpose of talking about Geno. It may be public and open to message in, which is all well and good, but the purpose of the thread was to talk about Geno. That seems like something you would assume “belongs” (though I would use the phrase “is attributed”) to the Geno fanbase... Right?

There’s not really much to “fix” is there though? Like honestly, what can you really do about this kinda stuff? If you ignore people you’re considered ignorant, if you try and have a genuine discussion with some of these people you have a 50/50 chance of being shot down because of the character you support, and if you try and argue back the thread can potentially be locked. I’m all for a solution here, but sometimes that feels like impossible task.

Listen, I’m not saying all this because I think you’re the scum of the Earth or anything. You seem like a reasonable person, and you said you enjoyed coming to the thread sometimes to look at some of the information people post. I don’t wanna ruin that for you, so don’t take this response as me aggressively confuting you and your post. Just offering my take is all.

You guys don’t need me to tell you what to do, but perhaps I can offer a suggestion: Let’s stop talking about this stuff constantly. Make a post or two about it and be done with it, we don’t need 10 posts every hour complaining about Twitter boogeymen.
GenoToto GenoToto offered a good suggestion, let’s not highlight specific offenders outside of the thread anymore. That kind of attention is not needed and isn’t very productive to the thread.
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo also made a good point, everyone should either stay away from Twitter for the time being or block accounts that really bother you. I made the mistake of logging on for like, five minutes, and as soon as I realized it wasn’t fun to be on there I just told myself to stay away from the platform for awhile. You guys should do the same, don’t force yourselves to read through that kind of stuff if it bothers you that much.

I think... That about covers it. Neato, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
It's interesting you say this. I have a different perspective on this, though.

There is a difference between reacting to a person or situation by giving them ammo, trying to throw hate back, or getting depressive and taking the information, and learning how to redirect your own thoughts in a more positive way.

Trolls don't want people to learn or grow, they want them to get angry. If I get angry, if I respond to them, they win.

If I ignore a problem, no body wins. It doesn't go away, it just keeps pushing and hoping for a response.

If I look a problem in the eye, decide how I want to overcome it, and we come together as a community, then we move beyond it.

Yes, constantly making posts about them isn't going to help us push past the topics of trolls. If we show, however, that we have a stronger mindset, we have learned and don't care what they have to say, and we are above them, they will give up.

If we think about how we react in real life situations, we have what people usually go to in reaction.

Fight, Flight, or Freeze.

When we fight our problems, we can over come them (figthing does NOT mean reacting negatively. Hate against hate only creates more hate, remember this).
When we run away from the problems, we may get away, but the problem still exists, we've only kept ourselves.
When we freeze, it is our body is looking for a response, but it cannot find it. It won't stop scrolling through that rolodex in your brain though, it will try to find an appropriate solution. You freeze until you find it. (I WISH I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF IT SOONER. This is what I WOULD have said, if I thought of it)

People don't understand that there is a forth response though.
Fight, Flight, Freeze... and Submit.

Submit is just giving yourself to the situation. If we just ignore, we are submitting. If we are submitting, they are winning.

We don't have to talk about them constantly, yes. We don't have to respond to them and give them ammo. We do have to come to an agreement as a group though. We are better and we can overcome.

Okay, I'm stepping down from my soap box now. Sorry about the long posts everybody!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
To change the topic in this case, what is your guess for when FP9 releases? My guess is sometime in March because of the next wave of Smash amiibos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom