• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
"NPCs are just enemies and toads because Mario can't be derivative anymore (which btw is the same reason Waluigi hasn't had a game for himself at all, same guys who manage these mandates)" I don't think Nintendo really cares about Mario RPGs in general anymore.
I think it's the complete opposite. Nintendo is trying to make a unified brand image for Mario, which allows the Mario franchise to stay consistent as the years go by, increasing the chances for further longevity. Paper Mario is getting that treatment, which shows Nintendo cares enough to want to preserve it.

Nintendo isn't going to listen to a minority of fans clamoring for something with the exception of Smash. In this case, "make the Paper Mario games more like the first two!" No matter how much the series is criticized, it still always sells. Color Splash was the only game with low sales. Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star, and the Origami King outsold the first two games as well, which matters a lot in the corporate world. Changing the formula worked each time they did it, people keep coming back, so it's clear that constantly changing things up sells.

I agree it's a sucky situation, but people have consistently voted with their wallets. Similar situation with Pokemon. I hearby diagnose the request of returning Mario RPGs to their former glory with Mother 3 Syndrome. If it happens, I'll **** bricks.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This, a lot of people have to remember that Geno support died down greatly during the Smash 4 spec days and didn’t get that same oophm Ridley and K.Rool got until the Mii Costume with the splash screen and Sakurai’s comment happened.

I could argue that Banjo was technically under the same position as Geno since he wasn’t that requested until Phil Spencer’s approval happened and thus got them in but that was most likely because Banjo didn’t have much competition outside Steve and Master Chief and being highly requested in the west which allowed Microsoft, a western company to listen to their audience.

Geno is bit of a different deal because I imagine not just SE but Japan in general is a bit more strict and stingy when it comes to character inclusions, they care less about their audiences’ personal desires and think more about the characters that benefit THEM, this especially seems to be accurate regarding Square Enix’s picks, it’s less about bias and just more towards priority hence why we got Hero and Sephiroth first over Sora or Geno.
See, this doesn't make any sense though.

Geno was big back during Melee polls and during Brawl's speculation period, and the hype train went down up until his costume reveal. Not long after, Sakurai mentioned that he still gets a lot of requests. This would imply that he had a fairly decent amount of votes when it came to the Smash Ballot even despite the lack of vocal drive.

But then we EXPLODED and took off into space pushing our boy, so honestly we were in the best spot we could be in: constantly rising vocal support from 2016 to now, this thread in particular in early 2017 (though admittedly it wasn't very active until 2018). Sakurai already knew we existed, and we just got bigger and louder over time. This is very unlike other fandoms like Isaac who let themselves get so crushed that they didn't start any big support until after the Ultimate reveal in 2018 when it was already too late for that since all the characters for base were chosen, and they didn't go big until after the AT was shown. Shadow was essentially the same, many of these characters not really getting a lot of traffic until either the initial announcement or the reveal of echo fighters, much too late to matter for the base game.

And yet, here was Geno being talked about for so long, swelling more and more each year, and had nothing to deconfirm him up until this week. We even had the man Sakurai himself in our corner and we still ended up here. Boy, if that's not disappointing to think about.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
And really, all the jackasses on Twitter/Gamefaqs/V/YouTube comments going “he was never gonna happen, he’s an irrelevant side character from a 20 year old game, you’re a delusional idiot for thinking he had a chance.” can **** off for real.

He DID have a chance, EVERY *ING CHARACTER has a chance as long as they’re from a video game, these dumb****s would’ve said this same * if K.Rool or Banjo had not been in and piss on THEIR fans too.
I guess we just gotta remember that we’re not alone in this case, a tweet I saw reminded me of that.

As a Steve fan, I saw haters mocking us and Steve and people pushing their opinions as fact for why he wouldn’t get in (including other stupid as heck arguments like “meme pick” or “Villager/Link clone”), similar to the haters bothering Geno fans. We even had an extremely annoying experience with those dumb Grotesque Steve trolls pretending to be Steve fans and harassing even us as well, even getting the Steve for Smash Twitter account (now Codename Craft) shut down through mass false-reporting them at least twice (they had to get new accounts each time).

As a Banjo fan, I don’t think I went through that much personally, but I know the other Banjo fans did, having to deal with stupid trolls and insults and all that crap. The Banjo vs. Steve war was not fun for me and other people who love both characters, it sucked and was so annoying and sad seeing stupid fighting against both.

And other character fanbases have to deal with this crap too. Ridley did, K. Rool did, and others still have to since they aren’t in yet like Geno. Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Jonesy (even if you don’t like nor want him there’s no excuse to crap on those who genuinely want him), I’m sure indies like Freddy, Reimu, Sans, Henry Stickmin...and likely a lot more.

These stupid trolls will go after any character’s fanbase no matter how dumb, irrational, and insane their words and actions are, possibly even if they like the character. I guess we just gotta remember that they’re narcissists who don’t really care, like the people who intentionally drive very slowly in front of strangers just to tick them off, and we shouldn’t respond to them and give them the time of day no matter how much we want to smack their smug crap right off their face.

Their mentality over videogame characters is insane and frustrating, but I guess the best we can do is pretend they don’t exist, or maybe try hitting them back with kindness (which I’ve thought of before but keep forgetting :S).

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Were all those resetera and everything surrounding geno just leakbait or evidently just bull**** someone made up?
It depends on how you look at it.

If you take that message from Jeff Grubb at face value and think Geno's returning costume absolutely kills his chances, then probably yes.

If you realize that contracts are what they are and that costumes are made well in advance and get moved around as much as they can as needed, that the Mario 35th Anniversary ends in March which just so happens to be the 25th Anniversary of the original Japanese release of SMRPG, how Geno is just a third-party Nintendo character and a Mario one at that, that there is no way Jeff Grubb would admit he really meant it since he lives on his 'journalist privilege' and a bunch of other small things I've taken note of as of late, maybe not.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
And really, all the jackasses on Twitter/Gamefaqs/V/YouTube comments going “he was never gonna happen, he’s an irrelevant side character from a 20 year old game, you’re a delusional idiot for thinking he had a chance.” can **** off for real.

He DID have a chance, EVERY *ING CHARACTER has a chance as long as they’re from a video game, these dumb****s would’ve said this same * if K.Rool or Banjo had not been in and piss on THEIR fans too.
The most ridiculous thing is that out of thousands of square characters, he’s one of the few to get a costume, and a lot of costumes from 4 turned into characters later. Really I think any mii costume (barring the generic ones) has a chance of being playable in the future.
Do you think we’re gonna get a shred of any Geno leaks or hints? Or is it done for good
Personally I’m thinking we get three bonus characters after this pass, so I do have a sliver of hope he could be one. There’s not much to back this up other than the data mines and stage select screen though.

The DoE

Smash Rookie
Do you think we’re gonna get a shred of any Geno leaks or hints? Or is it done for good
Fighter Pass's leaks involving Geno are dead at this point, even for a third one.

The only way I can see Geno happening at this point is probably as an individual character.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Fighter Pass's leaks involving Geno are dead at this point, even for a third one.

The only way I can see Geno happening at this point is probably as an individual character.
Funny, because that's how I view Sora having any chance whatsoever, not Geno.

Mainly because that is kinda the only way he ever shows up outside his own games.

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm still shocked they chose Banjo and did Geno dirty... by this merit you would've assumed Banjo would've only been a Deluxe or something.

Zeldatwo

Smash Rookie
Warned for trolling/bait
Kind of embarrassed but not surprised that fatman is still in here spouting nonsense. He keeps feeding you people BS that you want to hear and it’s wrong every time. Geno wasn’t revealed at the Xbox conference (lol), there was indeed a character at the VGAs (and it wasn’t Geno), etc. No, his sources aren’t misleading him. He has no sources. He literally just makes things up. I thought seeing him say “I’ll give up when I see a corpse” and the mii costume subsequently showing up meant he would finally admit it’s over, but of course he has moved the goalposts again because he can’t let go of being the Dear Leader of this fanbase and having obsequious worshippers who believe everything he says

You people need to wake up and stop being fooled.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Kind of embarrassed but not surprised that fatman is still in here spouting nonsense. He keeps feeding you people BS that you want to hear and it’s wrong every time. Geno wasn’t revealed at the Xbox conference (lol), there was indeed a character at the VGAs (and it wasn’t Geno), etc. No, his sources aren’t misleading him. He has no sources. He literally just makes things up. I thought seeing him say “I’ll give up when I see a corpse” and the mii costume subsequently showing up meant he would finally admit it’s over, but of course he has moved the goalposts again because he can’t let go of being the Dear Leader of this fanbase and having obsequious worshippers who believe everything he says

He never said anything about Geno showing up at an unrelated event, and we don’t agree with everything he says, though, though I don’t believe he’s lying, and he’s said he sometimes disagrees with the dudes he talks to and also pulls from other stuff to form his own conclusions and encourages others to do the same.

Do people just spread a bunch of lies and claims without proof about this thread and the members here on other websites, and people just instantly assume it’s true for some reason, or...?

Last edited:

pennylessz

Smash Cadet
He never said anything about Geno showing up at an unrelated event, and we don’t agree with everything he says, though, though I don’t believe he’s lying, and he’s said he sometimes disagrees with the dudes he talks to and also pulls from other stuff to form his own conclusions and encourages others to do the same.

Do people just spread a bunch of lies and claims without proof about this thread and the members here on other websites, and people just instantly assume it’s true for some reason, or...?
I could link you to several Gamefaqs threads where people make claims about what Fatman said, with absolutely no link, and everyone who responds simply believes them.

I honestly don't care whether Fatman has lied about anything. I'm here because this is the safest place to be a Geno fan, because there isn't a million smuchs telling me to give up. They're never going to give up on their MW, so why should I? I saw someone with a Bub and Bob MW, am I going to stomp on their hopes and wants for fun? No, because I'm not an asshole.

Heoj

Smash Ace

Can you point to where fatman was banking on an "Xbox conference (lol)" reveal?
This is just a bruh moment, like honestly most of the time i always disagree with fatmans posts, but i value the fact that hes trying you know?
And honestly, i personally find all his recent posts incredibly pointless and annoying.
Get off of your high horse man.
geno.jpg

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Why is #FreeUltimate trending? It should be #FreeGeno.
I believe this is why:

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
For the longest time I've always had an idea of how a Geno in smash bros trailer would be like but I never got around to doing it

Until today that is (in audio form 😅 ) which you can download and listen to hear: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UELQz1KkrD7AJ3o7WS9oYoGFRWNULCFT/view?usp=sharing

While I don't feel confident he's still in the running it's still fun to imagine the "what if" so that's what I did tonight, since it's audio only you basically have to imagine what's happening in the trailer. Or you can read along as to how I always envisioned the trailer to be down below vvvvvvvvv
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Make a Wish

It starts off with the wind howling, Galeem and Dharkon are going head to head with one another while the smash cast is left to fiend for themselves against their army of light and dark soldiers

The main focus starts off on Mario while the smash remix of "King Bowser" plays, he's doing his best to fight the common enemy and defend other smash characters and being his usual heroic self but is caught off guard by one of the soldiers which is where peach intervenes with a frying pan and helps fights along side him. While we focus on them and their respective movesets, peach is also caught off guard by a soldier in which bowser intervenes (during the part of the song where the bongos are playing) they all look at each other and nod to indicate they're working together. They run off, but off in the distance there seems to be a star falling in which the camera focuses on for a split second before we're back into the action where all 3 are holding up great until dharkon's eye catches notice of them. It unleashes one of his sharp tentacle attacks on the group which they are all visibly shocked by. That is until the music cuts as this magic disc flies through and appears to have completely destroys the tentacle arm.

The 3 wonder who or what could've done that and turn around in which a familiar tune plays (Which is done by Raymusique) as we focus on the shoes of this character, blue cape, and gun arm as he walks towards the group. The group all reacts in joy as we finally get to see who it is as the splash screen "Geno shoots for the stars" appears. The reunion doesn't last long as their focus shifts on the waves of enemies that face them. Geno readies his Geno beam as the group is engaged. This is where we get all the gameplay stuff and where the "Beware the Forest Mushroom's" remix plays (In this case I used RichaadEB's cover)

I really wanted to at least stroyboard this but I'm really not motivated unfortunately, I hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Hey, popping back in real quick because, while looking through my files on this laptop for work stuff, I happened to notice something hilarious. Like, you're not even gonna believe this but I swear I'm not lying - I saw a file named 'Geno and Sephiroth' that I'd apparently created way back in 11/28/2019.

..So I clicked it.

Geno and Sephiroth just chilling on the couch playing video games appeared before me. Apparently, I'd started a little comic strip thing with them like the ones I did with Zelda and Mimi, and Doomguy and Geno. Now, it's all starting to come back to me and it's even funnier: I stopped and left it as an unfinished doodle because I was tired and the quality was suffering so much that I just decided to call it quits, but you know what the rest of the strip was supposed to be? They were not only hanging out, it was that weird 'kinda but kinda not flirting' between close friends sort of thing.

So everyone's been posting all of this art of Sephiroth murdering Geno and the two going against each other with all of this bad blood, but here it's just like

Sephiroth: ...You're better at this game than I thought, puppet man. I want a rematch.
Geno: Haha, sure. But only because you're pretty.

Here's a snip of the doodle for proof (the rest was all empty space):

geno and seph.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's better to not feed the obvious trolls. They blatantly don't know what they're talking about. Just report and ignore. Especially as one may reply to them poorly as well by accident. If you don't give the time of day, you win.

I've been reporting each one, and while the mods can't be here immediately, they've been taken care of thoroughly. It's frankly going to come up often cause they want to incite issues here. If you don't acknowledge them whatsoever and just report, it'll stop a lot sooner too.

Also, beautiful artwork Griselda Griselda

Griselda

Smash Lord
It's better to not feed the obvious trolls. They blatantly don't know what they're talking about. Just report and ignore. Especially as one may reply to them poorly as well by accident. If you don't give the time of day, you win.

I've been reporting each one, and while the mods can't be here immediately, they've been taken care of thoroughly. It's frankly going to come up often cause they want to incite issues here. If you don't acknowledge them whatsoever and just report, it'll stop a lot sooner too.

Also, beautiful artwork Griselda Griselda
Thanks. I can do way, way better if I actually put in effort - maybe I'll properly draw the two of them hanging out at some point, when I'm less busy and when things have hopefully calmed down here. Rediscovering that doodle has improved my mood about Smash, I think - it's still a dumb move to not put Geno in as a fighter and I'm not sure I'm fine with just forgiving them, but at the moment I feel better about the whole thing either way.

Also, yeah, don't feed the trolls.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if vocalizing how the fanbase at large feels is trolling.

It's not complimentary. But it's not innately disingenuous either.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We should be sharing this video with the fan rule crowd don't you think?

I'm still shocked they chose Banjo and did Geno dirty... by this merit you would've assumed Banjo would've only been a Deluxe or something.
Both of them deserved to be playable characters and they didn't do Geno dirty by adding Banjo & Kazooie because the bear and bird had nothing to do with Geno's chances. The ones who really did us dirty was the corporate overheads at Nintendo and Square-Enix that thought they were making the right decision by ignoring the Geno fans.

Last edited:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
We should be sharing this video with the fan rule crowd don't you think?

Both of them deserved to be playable characters and they didn't do Geno dirty by adding Banjo & Kazooie because the bear and bird had nothing to do with Geno's chances. The ones who really did us dirty was the corporate overheads at Nintendo and Square-Enix that thought they were making the right decision by ignoring the Geno fans.
Wouldn't it be great if a certain blue puppet broke the "Mii costumes disconfirm" fan rule?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I should clarify; a lot of posts aren't talking about the fanbase and some issues with replies/etc. These(which talk about the fanbase) might be okay depending the tone(and really, it's probably better to leave it for another time when tensions aren't high).

However, the ones about Fatmanonice lately aren't actually explaining to him why they don't buy his theory. Like, what, one post did that, and was fine? Most of these were actually attacking the guy and the fanbase instead. That's actual trolling and what I'm referring to. The post by Opossum is not trolling. At most, maybe harsh/aggressive, but it was calling out theories and reasoning only. If it was flaming/mocking/etc. I would've reported it in a heartbeat. I didn't see any of that.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hey, popping back in real quick because, while looking through my files on this laptop for work stuff, I happened to notice something hilarious. Like, you're not even gonna believe this but I swear I'm not lying - I saw a file named 'Geno and Sephiroth' that I'd apparently created way back in 11/28/2019.

..So I clicked it.

Geno and Sephiroth just chilling on the couch playing video games appeared before me. Apparently, I'd started a little comic strip thing with them like the ones I did with Zelda and Mimi, and Doomguy and Geno. Now, it's all starting to come back to me and it's even funnier: I stopped and left it as an unfinished doodle because I was tired and the quality was suffering so much that I just decided to call it quits, but you know what the rest of the strip was supposed to be? They were not only hanging out, it was that weird 'kinda but kinda not flirting' between close friends sort of thing.

So everyone's been posting all of this art of Sephiroth murdering Geno and the two going against each other with all of this bad blood, but here it's just like

Sephiroth: ...You're better at this game than I thought, puppet man. I want a rematch.
Geno: Haha, sure. But only because you're pretty.

Here's a snip of the doodle for proof (the rest was all empty space):

View attachment 296336
I'm getting such a huge kick outta this!!! Aand maybe it might be me, but even someone like Sephiroth could get tired in his constantly high-revered role of super-villain in videogame pop culture, and want to kick back sometimes.

Honestly, I wish we received more casual, heartfelt comics like these in style of Brawl in the Family. I feel the current Smash-fanbase + community has been reveling in a bit too much junk-foody "haha-funny-memes"-content creation, or mockery-centric art that only serves to alienate and create more toxic friction between the innumerable fanbases within this series. :025:

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, he did have a chance. But the power of probability was never in Geno's favour. He's a Square Enix character who debuted in a Nintendo game, and he wasn't even the main character of the game he debuted in.

That's not the same as King K. Rool or Ridley.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Can you point to where fatman was banking on an "Xbox conference (lol)" reveal?
This is just a bruh moment, like honestly most of the time i always disagree with fatmans posts, but i value the fact that hes trying you know?
And honestly, i personally find all his recent posts incredibly pointless and annoying.
Get off of your high horse man.
View attachment 296335
My recent posts are pointless and annoying because there's literally people telling me to kill myself over this and me simply saying "I'm waiting things out" has caused people to absolutely flip out. People have set the bar ridiculously low for trolling. People are unironically seething over the opinions of one guy and that I'm not a borderline catatonic depressed mess over recent events. **** 'em, I'm not going anywhere.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, he did have a chance. But the power of probability was never in Geno's favour. He's a Square Enix character who debuted in a Nintendo game, and he wasn't even the main character of the game he debuted in.

That's not the same as King K. Rool or Ridley.
That's misleading. Geno, Mario, and Smithy are all main characters in the plot. The story does not revolve only around Mario and Bowser either. It also revolves around Geno. Bowser is also right there, though he's meant to be slightly secondary to Mario. There's two core plots to it; save the world from evil and save the Star Road. Mallow finding his family is a secondary but notable plot. Peach is literally the only one of the 6 with zero plot importance in itself. Like, she at most helps the starting moments by being kidnapped. She does nothing of note beyond be a useful party member.

To further explain, the term "main character" is very much misused these days. It's not a singular. A main character is anyone who holds significant plot importance. There's 4 or 3 depending how you look at Bowser, who doesn't necessarily count. He just has a strong stake in it. Geno and Mario are both sharing a protagonist spot overall in saving the world from Smithy. He's effectively the Luigi of the game(if you look at Mario & Luigi as a specific example). Smithy is the main villain, making him also a main character, since the plot also revolves around his specific actions. "Player 2" are quite often actually main characters, but you also need to look at the exact context. Mallow is a main character since the game also revolves around him, but he's also got a side plot, so he isn't as important as Geno, Mario, Smithy, or Bowser. And then you have Peach, with no plots revolving around her. She's basically an extra.

The only actual game/thing to have a single main character is the rare game where there is literally no antagonist whatsoever. I.E. some puzzle games, when it has a character, often don't have anyone to actually face. This isn't even that often. Take Super Mario Bros. 1. It has 4 main characters, or 5 if you want to count Toad. Mario and Luigi are the protagonists. Bowser is the antagonist. Peach is the thing to rescue, so is always involved in its most basic plot. Toad is always there to tell you "go to the next place", so is involved in its plot itself. If you don't count "people to be rescued" in this case, which can make sense, you still have 3 main characters. Simply put, SMRPG and sometimes Paper Mario follows a similar formula. One difference though is that Paper Mario 1 and 2 don't have a protagonist involved with Mario either. He's the only actual hero among it and the rest are much smaller roles who are there to help him. So the only Main Characters are Mario and Bowser. This mostly continues in TTYD, but it adds Peach as way more important(whereas she didn't do much in the first game, but she did not partner with Mario even then, though she's still important in the 64 version either way) character, along with the leader of the X-Nauts. Super Paper Mario then changed it up by having actually quite a few main characters. You have 5 total protagonists(Tippi, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser), and then you have a set of 4 Villains total who are all main characters, since they're highly involved in the plot.

The reason why some are lesser than others is that the way a game/story is written is that main characters can be less involved in the plot easily. SPM oddly doesn't have this case for the 5 Heroes. It's literally the only one with that many core main characters. SMRPG sadly didn't do this, though. As I said above, only Geno and Mario among the heroes are majorly important(with Bowser being slightly less, Mallow having a side plot, and Peach having no plot significance).

Another quick example is Sonic Adventure 2; there's 6 playable characters, and every single one are very important to the plot. In addition, Amy and Dr. Gerald Robotnik are also very important. It has 8 main characters total. 2 of which are not playable. Adventure 1 has 6 playable characters, 2 main villain, and 1 non-playable hero. That's a total of 9 main characters. That's a lot. That's why the term "main character" is misunderstood. People seem to think it's a single role, yeah. What it really means is, as I noted "everyone of plot significance in some way", whereas everyone playable is usually also a case of this, but not necessarily. Frankly, if Peach didn't help kick off the basic plot that led to Exor invading the castle later, she wouldn't even be properly involved in the plot to a slight degree. But she is. She's the least important in the plot, but still there. A lot of the other bosses basically are of Peach significance. They're by default involved in the plot, but barely important on their own merits. The ones guarding the Star Pieces are more important than the bosses who don't.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
This isn’t necessarily a reply to anyone in particular, rather this is just me consciousness dumping as a way to vent. I put it in a spoiler so I didn’t have to look at it every time I come back to this page.

I’ve seen a lot of people here recently telling everyone to wake up and stop listening to Fatman. I can’t really speak for everyone here, but personally I don’t live or die by what Fatman says. I’m still here because I want to be, not because Fatman dropped some “crazy new leak!!1!”. I know Geno’s not that likely anymore, but I still like talking about the character, and maybe I still want to believe he’ll join the roster one day. I don’t need some guy on the internet to “lead” me and explain why I should still care about something, I’m a ****ing adult who’s making a decision to stay on a forum website and talk about Geno from Super Mario RPG, it’s not that complicated.

It’s also kind of exhausting to be anywhere on the internet right now. Twitter is just a constant stream of vitriol on my feed (I really need to stop opening up the damn replies), I’ve got people laughing and insulting me on my Instagram page, and I can’t even open up Smashboards without seeing some random user who I’ve never seen in the thread before basically tell us how foolish we were for even entertaining the thought of Geno being in Smash.

Speaking of Twitter, do you know how embarrassing it is to see screenshots from this very Smashboards thread being used as a way to mock us? I know everyone just says, “Ignore them, they’re just wasting their time”, but it’s kind of hard to ignore the fact that these random posts being spread around (Which were admittedly pretty atrocious) are being used to represent our community. I’m not even disappointed in anyone, I’m just... Speechless.

I’ve tried really, REALLY hard to stay positive in the face of all this, but even I think I’ve reached my breaking point. I’m tired of being insulted and accused of things I don’t even do. I’m tired of being harassed (Yes, harassed. There have been several people who constantly direct message me on my Instagram account just berating me on different alt accounts) by strangers on the internet. I just wanna enjoy video games again man.

That was... Cathartic honestly. Phew, been bottling that in for a week or two.
Listen everyone, not just fans of Geno, but everyone looking at this page. Be good to your fellow human being. It’s just video games at the end of the day.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of, now that we know Square and Enix aren't actually as combined as we thought, that means that Geno's competition is a bit more Square-specific. So Hero was likely irrelevant to him overall in a sense. Besides why the costume wasn't there (it's not much of a mystery with this knowledge in mind), it means that we got one Square and one Enix character. It means nothing beyond licensing, but don't forget we have two Capcom USA and one Capcom Co LTD. characters instead. Those are even more separated than Square and Enix, from a different part of the world.

So this also leads to an interesting thought; the Seven Squares List. It's clearly not accurate since it had Enix characters in, and one Disney one (who is legit tied to SE as a whole, though I forget which part actually works on KH). This also makes it so logical as leakbait. Most aren't aware that Square and Enix is fairly separated, so it's very easy to mistake that list as a combination of characters from "one" company. The fact Sora is there makes it more logical to pull this. Tons believe he's a SE owned character. It means they did a great job playing us for fools by using knowledge we weren't aware of or generally didn't think carefully on. An interesting thought, isn't it? That the leakbait was meant to prey to lack of knowledge. Which actually fits, since leakbait is there clearly to catch leakers in a rather mean way. I'm not saying it's unjustified, since leaking is actually bad, but this is crazy how much worse it may be than we thought.
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Square and Enix are not seperate, Square Enix is a rebranded Enix as confirmed by The Japan Times.

Square and Enix combining was an acquisition that was painted as a merger because Square had international appeal and internal developers whilst Enix only ever thrived in Japan as a publisher who relied on third parties to develop their games.

That's misleading. Geno, Mario, and Smithy are all main characters in the plot. The story does not revolve only around Mario and Bowser either. It also revolves around Geno. Bowser is also right there, though he's meant to be slightly secondary to Mario. There's two core plots to it; save the world from evil and save the Star Road. Mallow finding his family is a secondary but notable plot. Peach is literally the only one of the 6 with zero plot importance in itself. Like, she at most helps the starting moments by being kidnapped. She does nothing of note beyond be a useful party member.

To further explain, the term "main character" is very much misused these days. It's not a singular. A main character is anyone who holds significant plot importance.
A main character is the focal point character. I'm not undermining Geno's importance in the game he debuted in, I'm just stating the objective facts. Geno is the Deuteragonist of the game he starred in, and as important as that status is, it's still not main protagonist status. That still goes to Mario.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This isn’t necessarily a reply to anyone in particular, rather this is just me consciousness dumping as a way to vent. I put it in a spoiler so I didn’t have to look at it every time I come back to this page.

I’ve seen a lot of people here recently telling everyone to wake up and stop listening to Fatman. I can’t really speak for everyone here, but personally I don’t live or die by what Fatman says. I’m still here because I want to be, not because Fatman dropped some “crazy new leak!!1!”. I know Geno’s not that likely anymore, but I still like talking about the character, and maybe I still want to believe he’ll join the roster one day. I don’t need some guy on the internet to “lead” me and explain why I should still care about something, I’m a ****ing adult who’s making a decision to stay on a forum website and talk about Geno from Super Mario RPG, it’s not that complicated.

It’s also kind of exhausting to be anywhere on the internet right now. Twitter is just a constant stream of vitriol on my feed (I really need to stop opening up the damn replies), I’ve got people laughing and insulting me on my Instagram page, and I can’t even open up Smashboards without seeing some random user who I’ve never seen in the thread before basically tell us how foolish we were for even entertaining the thought of Geno being in Smash.

Speaking of Twitter, do you know how embarrassing it is to see screenshots from this very Smashboards thread being used as a way to mock us? I know everyone just says, “Ignore them, they’re just wasting their time”, but it’s kind of hard to ignore the fact that these random posts being spread around (Which were admittedly pretty atrocious) are being used to represent our community. I’m not even disappointed in anyone, I’m just... Speechless.

I’ve tried really, REALLY hard to stay positive in the face of all this, but even I think I’ve reached my breaking point. I’m tired of being insulted and accused of things I don’t even do. I’m tired of being harassed (Yes, harassed. There have been several people who constantly direct message me on my Instagram account just berating me on different alt accounts) by strangers on the internet. I just wanna enjoy video games again man.

That was... Cathartic honestly. Phew, been bottling that in for a week or two.
Listen everyone, not just fans of Geno, but everyone looking at this page. Be good to your fellow human being. It’s just video games at the end of the day.
This whole thing also shows that 99.9% of the fanbase giving up isn't enough for these people. They want total subjugation. They want stories in their news feed of people being depressed and suicidal. It's not even about Geno because if everyone folded they'd just find a new target. As I've shown, denying them this shows them for who they really are. These people aren't worth the emotional expenditure (if anything of value at all).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Square and Enix are not seperate, Square Enix is a rebranded Enix as confirmed by The Japan Times.

Square and Enix combining was an acquisition that was painted as a merger because Square had international appeal and internal developers whilst Enix only ever thrived in Japan as a publisher who relied on third parties to develop their games.
Being a merger doesn't change that the licensing is hard designed to be based around individuals. They're separated for the most part. That's why Square has only Square content, and Enix strictly has only Enix content. We don't actually see them together. This is already evidence in Smash and was a theory at first by other users, but it showed to be exactly the case.

A main character is the focal point character. I'm not undermining Geno's importance in the game he debuted in, I'm just stating the objective facts. Geno is the Deuteragonist of the game he starred in, and as important as that status is, it's still not main protagonist status. That still goes to Mario.
That's Bowser at best, or Mallow if you push it. Objectively, they're both the core protagonist because the game's story hard focuses on Geno and Mario VS Smithy. It makes you believe that Mario is actually the main story focus, when that's not the real case. He's just there to start off the plot, but the most important plot is about the Star Road, not the general "save the world". You have to remember that this is like your general Final Fantasy plot twist. There's always a bigger story than you think. The first start of the game gives a tiny story to get you hooked, than the bigger plot comes in later. For instance, the actual true plot of Final Fantasy 1 is to stop Chaos and the time shenanigans. The plot coupons to collect are a smaller thing in comparison. It's basically a kind of plot where the true story kicks in in the latter half. Which isn't uncommon for Square to pull.

Basically, the simple plot isn't even "save the world" so much as figure out what's going on and help Bowser get his castle back, and to fight what is clearly a bigger enemy. Nobody knows who another main character, the villain Smithy, truly is till Geno shows up and gives the real plot. That the Star Road is in trouble. That's the big twist. That said, they're both very important parts, which is why they're both core plots. The third plot is Mallow finding his family, which is not very important to the core plot(though it does lead to some story progression).

Geno and Mario were literally designed to be equal in the first place. People mistake it just cause he came in later, that the plot doesn't revolve around Geno's part. But it always did and always will. That's why it's "two core plots", not one. Besides, Geno's plot is painted as way more important as they literally focus on it throughout the rest of the game, and the smaller plot of "get Bowser's castle back while saving the world" is barely acknowledged since they have a way more important thing to do. The castle is just on the way. It's a weird plot twist, but seeing as how Geno was pretty much designed to be the new big character, it's not that weird. Square loves the idea anyway, to throw in more than one key protagonist in a story. And sometimes have red herring characters like Mallow who makes you think he's got a major role in the story(he doesn't like Geno, Mario, Smithy, and kind of Bowser).

I've done a lot of research into stories. You're using Deuteragonist completely wrong if you're trying to apply it to Geno. The focal point is Geno and Mario as is. It's like trying to apply that poorly to the avatar in Fire Emblem Awakening. They and Chrom are both focal point characters. Only Lucina has a smaller focus at best. It's not the only time people have mistakeningly used it either. If you remove Geno, you remove literally the only other important plot(save the Star Road and everybody's dreams). If you remove Mario... you still have save the world either way. They both literally are a key focus and just show up at different times. Frankly, Mario is also a red herring to the real plot anyway. Since, again, it's a hard plot twist. Nobody knew the real problem behind Smithy. He's not just an annoying world conqueror, he's destroying the dream side of the world too. That's massively important to the plot.

Either way, you're still hard using main character wrong if you think it only applies to a single protagonist. Mario, Geno, Smithy(and kind of Bowser), as I noted before, are major players in the two plots. The two plots revolve around Geno and Mario's actions, with Bowser helping due to being more directly involved, Mallow there just to help out because Mario wanted to help him, and Peach literally along the way. 5 main characters teaming up to overall save the world and star road from Smithy.

Focal point just means protagonist of the plot. Main character means "all important to the plot". They're very different terms. That's why you can have multiple protagonists, antagonists, etc. Mario and Luigi are literally the same as Mario and Geno here. Both are the core protagonists, have a focal point on each in their own way, and add a lot to the plot(which revolves around them). Besides, how in the Mushroom Kingdom is the plot not revolved around Geno too? There is a thing as a starting protagonist as well. And then having another one focused on for a meat of the plot. Plots do not inherently revolve around literally one character in every single game or story in existence. That's silly and makes no sense in proper storytelling. Focal points are quite often spread around in stories because there's many plot significant characters.

That said, it feels silly to continue this. Geno is hard important to the plot(and why yes, it does focus on him), and absolutely a main character. If you want to believe he's not on par with Mario, that's fine, but he's no less a main character from a side game, just like the rest of the 6. You are downplaying his importance any time you don't call him one of the main characters. The reality is, in stories, the main character moniker is shared among many sometimes. Bare minimum of 1(if no antagonist), bare minimum of 2(if there is an antagonist).

(Gah, sorry for the typos.)

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
For the longest time I've always had an idea of how a Geno in smash bros trailer would be like but I never got around to doing it

Until today that is (in audio form 😅 ) which you can download and listen to hear: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UELQz1KkrD7AJ3o7WS9oYoGFRWNULCFT/view?usp=sharing

While I don't feel confident he's still in the running it's still fun to imagine the "what if" so that's what I did tonight, since it's audio only you basically have to imagine what's happening in the trailer. Or you can read along as to how I always envisioned the trailer to be down below vvvvvvvvv
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Make a Wish

It starts off with the wind howling, Galeem and Dharkon are going head to head with one another while the smash cast is left to fiend for themselves against their army of light and dark soldiers

The main focus starts off on Mario while the smash remix of "King Bowser" plays, he's doing his best to fight the common enemy and defend other smash characters and being his usual heroic self but is caught off guard by one of the soldiers which is where peach intervenes with a frying pan and helps fights along side him. While we focus on them and their respective movesets, peach is also caught off guard by a soldier in which bowser intervenes (during the part of the song where the bongos are playing) they all look at each other and nod to indicate they're working together. They run off, but off in the distance there seems to be a star falling in which the camera focuses on for a split second before we're back into the action where all 3 are holding up great until dharkon's eye catches notice of them. It unleashes one of his sharp tentacle attacks on the group which they are all visibly shocked by. That is until the music cuts as this magic disc flies through and appears to have completely destroys the tentacle arm.

The 3 wonder who or what could've done that and turn around in which a familiar tune plays (Which is done by Raymusique) as we focus on the shoes of this character, blue cape, and gun arm as he walks towards the group. The group all reacts in joy as we finally get to see who it is as the splash screen "Geno shoots for the stars" appears. The reunion doesn't last long as their focus shifts on the waves of enemies that face them. Geno readies his Geno beam as the group is engaged. This is where we get all the gameplay stuff and where the "Beware the Forest Mushroom's" remix plays (In this case I used RichaadEB's cover)

I really wanted to at least stroyboard this but I'm really not motivated unfortunately, I hope you guys enjoy!
i love this dude!!! thats such an amazing idea!!
quick question, where did you get the mario rpg sound effects???
i cant seem to find them anywhere

Awkwah

Smash Apprentice
Ah normal numbers now in this server. For me I think I will personally throw in the towel at the end of March or CP9, whichever comes first.

Mario celebration is over then, and then maybe if CP11 rolls around I can hop back on the train. But that one would require some convincing to do so. Something does not sit right with the Mii treatment here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Were all those resetera and everything surrounding geno just leakbait or evidently just bull**** someone made up?
Main thing I'm being told is "wait" so that's what I'm doing. Like I mentioned yesterday, I declared Steve dead after Banjo was revealed only for Steve to show up in our newsfeeds 16 months later. I referenced this following video a lot before Byleth was revealed and it stills holds up:

Mii costumes and assist trophies deconfirm because we say they do and that's basically it. Obviously, not everyone can make the jump but it's almost kind of foolish to totally not expect someone to by the end of Ultimate. At this point, there's only 3 Mii costumes from Smash 4 still MIA: the two Monster Hunter costumes and Lloyd.

Perhaps we were naive in believing that all the Smash 4 DLC costumes wouldn't come back. Think about it... If Monster Hunter became playable, would it really make much sense to just bring back one costume and not the other? If Lloyd makes the jump, would it make much sense so it be the only one missing despite the other 85 coming back? Our long-time assumption is that if Geno/Lloyd/Monster Hunter became playable that their Mii costumes would simply be thrown in the trash but if they found reasons to justify characters that probably didn't sell great like Gil, why would they do it for characters and franchises that Sakurai specifically singled out to talk about their additions in interviews?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While I don't take what Fatman or anyone else says as gospel, it's more fun to believe in theorycrafting and having fun during the ride whether than just accepting a few list of characters the majority thinks is likely because that way of speculating isn't fun. Fatman is a cool dude that I respect as we wouldn't have gotten this far without him with him doing this since he was on the Adult Swim forums back in 2002 and helping the Geno fanbase bring the giant list of fan essays to Nintendo's HQ in Japan all the way back in 2006. Fatman has made the speculation scene more interesting, fun, and entertaining for me and really that is all that matters is that we are having fun along the journey.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
This whole thing also shows that 99.9% of the fanbase giving up isn't enough for these people. They want total subjugation. They want stories in their news feed of people being depressed and suicidal. It's not even about Geno because if everyone folded they'd just find a new target. As I've shown, denying them this shows them for who they really are. These people aren't worth the emotional expenditure (if anything of value at all).
Why do you care about these people ? You want me to believe you don't care, but you're only posting about them. They are as much dumb as dumb people can be on the internet, "geno haters" aren't special. This thread seem to talk way more about geno haters than people are actually hating. As always, vocal minority probably makes it look bigger.

You always want to look like the victims, but the fault is only on yourselves. When you claim stuff like Geno should be more important to Nintendo's eyes than Sephiroth, Sora, Lara Croft or even Waluigi, you deserve to be mocked because you're only spreading misinformation. There is no reason you should be free to do that while misinformation is already the plague of the internet. The most virulent "haters" are mostly dumb people who wants to defend their most wanted because you offended them by belittling their character, and they're only the dumb ones among all the smash fans you offended, most people simply assume you're all dumb and go on. If they were just evil like you seem to describe them, they would hate everyone, not just Geno.

You're the only supporting community that regularly **** on others characters, and this is the only reason why you get this hate. Sorry but you're not the victim of a worldwide conspiration that was born to hate Geno...

If you all still want to cultivate your ignorance and make these kind of bold claims, you should make them in private like everyone does, this thread doesn't belong to your community, it belongs to the smash community, everything you say here can offend people outside of this thread. This is a public thread and everyone should be responsible of what they say in public.

After all this years, you all still don't seem to understand why people like to mock this thread, and that's why people continue to do it (this is a quite typical pattern). Or maybe you're all trolls and like to be in this situation and that's why you're not doing anything to fix it, then you would have no right to complain. If this is the case, trolling is still bad but at least it's good entertainment to me. I still like this thread for being the source of interesting information if I ignore the Geno bias.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom