• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Don’t say that, that genuinely makes me sad because it’s probably true
It's just an assumption, while it's what I personally think happened, maybe Nintendo just wanted to have a new IP represented in Smash, or it was a request from Nintendo EPD specifically, or they actually DO have plans to do more with ARMS in the future and Nintendo is trying to drive up interest. Admitedly there are alot of possibilities.

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Boop:
Its sad that pjiggles is the only person who's come out to talk about this situation. Major respect to him.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I mean, if we're talking current predictions, ironically just like with Steve nothing fundamental has changed. I expected both a Microsoft and Square character to show up, and we got both, just not the characters I was expecting. Looking over the current Pass 2 though, we're halfway and there's actually a bit of a consistent trend. More so than Pass 1, Nintendo's choices feel a lot more... corporate in their decision making. Call it baseless pattern searching if you want, fair enough, but let's actually examine this.

• Min Min : An ARMS rep feels like an odd choice for a first-party character, right? Looking at this from the perspective of Nintendo though, it starts to make a little more sense. They were almost certainly one of, if not the first character decided for Pass 2, and Nintendo clearly wanted to add another character from a popular Switch game, just like they did with Byleth. Actually looking at where Switch games were standing in terms of sales at the time...View attachment 296299 (this chart is from August 2019) You can see that ARMS was actually the best selling Switch game without substantial representation in Smash. Nintendo probably just looked at their sales figures and thought that would be the most popular because it sold the most, I don't doubt the idea that if Xenoblade 2 sold better than ARMS, we would have gotten Rex instead.
  • Steve : Moving onto the Block Man, its a given that Minecraft is the BEST SELLING video game of all time. More importantly though, it's actually done really well on Switch. Currently, it seems to be the best selling third-party Switch game with over 2 Million sold, but that number is misleading, since it only accounts for the 500,000 European sales Nintendo has officially stated, and the 1.5 million it has sold in Japan PHYSICALLY according to Famitsu. That doesn't account for Japanese Digital Sales, or any sales in North America, I wouldn't doubt if that figure was more than doubled at 4 million. Point is, Minecraft was A. Extremely Successful, and going through a big resurgence in popularity last year, B. Doing Extremely Well on Switch, and C. Doing extremely well in Japan, being the only game Microsoft has even managed to sell over a million copies in the region, and not even on their platform. It does make sense why they would go for him even instead of a bombshell like Chief.
  • Sephiroth : He's one of the most iconic villains in gaming, and more importantly, said game was set to recieve a high profile AAA remake by the time he was revealed for Smash Brothers. It does make more financial sense for Nintendo and Square to go with him over Geno, Crono, or even Neku despite his franchise seeing a resurgence soon.
I've brought up the idea that aside from Banjo, every character in Pass 1 was from a popular, and more importantly relevant and successful franchise at the time. Looking over the first half of Pass 2 so far, Nintendo has clearly doubled down on going after big, earth shattering money makers. That's not an entirely bad thing, plenty of popular characters like Crash also happen to be from big franchises that are doing well, but it's a big reason why I look at characters like Rayman and Ryu Hayabusa, who have fallen out of the public eye a lot over the last 7-8 years due to a lack of games, as being less likely.
I do wonder though, within Fighters Pass Vol. 2, looking back at the first Pass and specifically Banjo's Challenger Pack, then we would still be due with a Challenger Pack from a character that's more or less in the same boat as Banjo (i.e. a franchise originated from past console gens whose presence now days resides in the form of collections, or ports to newer consoles). Although some may argue that Steve is this Pass' Banjo due to the Microsoft denominator both share.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hello this is Geno and I’m making an announcement Smithy is a screwed-up piece of shizzle motherclucker and he banged on my wife; he banged on my bangin’ wife and he said his hammer was “this big” and so I said “that’s disgusting...”

So I’m making a call out post on smashboards(dot)com; Smithy, you got a small hammer, it’s the size of this Chewy seed except WAAAAAY smaller, and here’s what my basher looks like: pftwooshh... That’s right! All wood, no nails, no steel...look at that it’s like a huge log attached to a pulsating rod...!

He banged on my wife, so GUESS WHAT?! I’m gonna bang on the Mushroom Kingdom! That’s right this is what you get: MY SUPER GENO BEAM!! Except I’m not gonna bang on the Mushroom Kingdom, I’m gonna go higher! I’M BANGING ON STAR ROAD!!! How do you like THAT, Pauline? I banged on Star Road, you idiot!

You have exactly 23 hours until the Seven Stars hit the frickin’ Mushroom Kingdom, now get out of my sight, before I bang on you too!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do wonder though, within Fighters Pass Vol. 2, looking back at the first Pass and specifically Banjo's Challenger Pack, then we would still be due with a Challenger Pack from a character that's more or less in the same boat as Banjo (i.e. a franchise originated from past console gens whose presence now days resides in the form of collections, or ports to newer consoles). Although some may argue that Steve is this Pass' Banjo due to the Microsoft denominator both share.
Yeah, we don't have anyone close to Banjo & Kazooie here. Companies are not the same thing as their actual role. Though this is Nintendo, not Sakurai, so who knows what their criteria is. It could be a case of "promoting their own product" or "a character who is currently being used, and thus, easier to obtain".

Sakurai sees "not being used right now" as something difficult but not impossible to obtain. Since Nintendo's a business, not a fan, that's not nearly as notable for them. Geno not being in literally could be due to lack of use, so it wasn't their priority. It could be because they wanted some bigger characters in. Fan demand alone isn't the only advantage B&K had either. And even then, Minecraft led to it overall, so.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Were more than likely not getting a banjo for this pass. I'm fully convinced that the only reason we got banjo in pass 1 was thanks to Phil Spencer because he seems to actually like banjo. Geno would have been the perfect banjo for this pass but square and nintendo dont care about him. This whole pass is more than likely to be nothing but big characters or shills.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think Nintendo doesn’t really care about Geno. It could have been easy to get him as a fighter especially with the amount of promotion and support Nintendo did for Square with Dragon Quest and FFVII (twice). They could have cut a deal. I no longer believe the narrative that Square wouldn’t allow Geno. I think Nintendo doesn’t want to be tied with the Mario RPG franchise since it’s shared with Square. It’s easier to service us for an “RPG” with their Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series. The profit won’t be split into two between Nintendo and Square.

I love Geno and I’ve always wanted him in since Melee, but I’m completely done with waiting for him as a playable character. If Geno was in Brawl, we wouldn’t even have discussions about his “worthiness” to be a smash character because “everyone is here”. This was really the perfect chance for Geno to be included in the game, he could have fit very well with the smash ultimate storyline with spirits.

What kinda hurts the most is that FFVII historically represents to me the departure of square and Nintendo because of their difference on whether to use cartridge or disc based media. Yet FFVII got so much fan service. However, Mario RPG is the result of a promise partnership with Nintendo and Square and what could have been.

Sakurai didn’t even acknowledge him anymore, like he wanted to keep shut about any hints that he desire this character in the franchise like he use to. I swear if I hear another interview with him saying that he wanted to include Geno, I’m calling it BS. There is really nothing stopping him from doing so.

Sorry for sounding negative. I love the passion that you guys shared about Geno, but I’m throwing in the towel.

Mario RPG is still a great game and continues to deserve the praise for doing so much good in the Mario franchise.

I’m just glad there are modders that will one day put Geno in ultimate. Maybe we can get rollback too... that would be the day!

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Hello this is Geno and I’m making an announcement Smithy is a screwed-up piece of shizzle motherclucker and he banged on my wife; he banged on my bangin’ wife and he said his hammer was “this big” and so I said “that’s disgusting...”

So I’m making a call out post on smashboards(dot)com; Smithy, you got a small hammer, it’s the size of this Chewy seed except WAAAAAY smaller, and here’s what my basher looks like: pftwooshh... That’s right! All wood, no nails, no steel...look at that it’s like a huge log attached to a pulsating rod...!

He banged my wife, so GUESS WHAT?! I’m gonna bang on the Mushroom Kingdom! That’s right this is what you get: MY SUPER GENO BEAM!! Except I’m not gonna bang on the Mushroom Kingdom, I’m gonna higher! I’M BANGING ON STAR ROAD!!! How do you like THAT, Pauline? I banged on Star Road, you idiot!

You have exactly 23 hours until the Seven Stars hit the frickin’ Mushroom Kingdom, now get out of my sight, before I bang on you too!
I'm not sure what's more impressive. The fact that you made this applicable to Geno, or the fact you were able to masterfully censor it. Well done.

👏👏👏👏👏

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Were more than likely not getting a banjo for this pass. I'm fully convinced that the only reason we got banjo in pass 1 was thanks to Phil Spencer because he seems to actually like banjo. Geno would have been the perfect banjo for this pass but square and nintendo dont care about him. This whole pass is more than likely to be nothing but big characters or shills.
That's not the only reason. Minecraft being heavily with Nintendo led outright to them getting Banjo & Kazooie in. You might also notice Sakurai directly advertised the series on Xbox. So it being an active series clearly had some play in it, even if a small one.

Phil Spencer helped, but there was blatantly more to it. It also helped that the core reason was Minecraft too, as admitted in an interview. And it makes sense. The biggest Microsoft franchise they have is teaming up with Nintendo in general, which puts the companies in good graces with each other. This made it very very easy to get a character. Phil Spencer and it being an overall active product made it even easier. It's actually not a surprise we got the character when everything was in the duo's favor. Minecraft leading to it is hindsight, since we couldn't have known how much it mattered, but the rest wasn't even hard to guess that it was important. Fan demand obviously helped too. I mean, when you have 4 things that helped, and only one that was hard to guess(Minecraft's involvement), that says a lot.

It's why B&K were literally the easiest prediction of Pass 1. Ignoring leaks, anyway. And people predicted Hero quite wrong too, so it wasn't as easy as people made it sound like. Terry on the other hand, once the leak hit, was the most guessed character of the SNK ones, so, that was an easy prediction, just not without a hard leak. It's odd; Brave was leaked by accident and people overall got it wrong most of the time. Cause saying "Erdrick" definitely does not count. Nor just saying Luminary or any other Hero. The only correct guess was a Hero alt situation. You don't get bonus points for only kind of getting it right. There's few who got the idea it's referring to the Hero Class, but came to an incorrect conclusion that it was just referring to Erdrick.

The easiest prediction of Pass 2 was easily Steve, but to be fair, it was easy to see him as inevitable. I just wish more characters(including Geno) were clearly the case.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel as if Banjo & Kazooie are probably the last "people's choice" for this game.

Possibly, ever.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel as if Banjo & Kazooie are probably the last "people's choice" for this game.

Possibly, ever.
To be fair, Min Min is massively popular too. She's one of the big fan favorites, with only Twintelle being anywhere close to it. Spring Man also is quite popular, incidentally.

Steve is most definitely a fan requested character, due to being a gaming icon and from a massively popular game. But he's obviously quite divisive, so. I wouldn't call him a People's Choice, yeah. Hero actually is for Japan, though. They constantly wanted that, not any particular Hero, according to the only polls we've easily seen. Slime was voted pretty high too. Don't forget that Mii costumes are sometimes consolation prizes, so they can apply too. Like the King K. Rool and Isabelle ones in 4.

He might be the last of the PC as you said, but only for this game(and Min Min does come close that you could label her that). Fan favorites are going to easily be in the next game too. It's inevitable as long as Sakurai has any control.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I definitely believe that this is Geno's "Smash 4" compared to Ridley and K Rool. It wasn't until smash 4 that they became megaton requests. Back in Brawl we still needed characters like Diddy Kong and King Dedede, so they didn't stand out nearly as much, even if they were big requests. In 4, their popularity rose to a fever pitch, and people said "If it's not happening now, it never will". But Ridley and K Rool had only recently become as popular as they were, and in the next game they got in off of that smash 4 surge in popularity.

I know Geno has been requested since melee, but let's be honest, it wasn't until this game that he became the huge deal he is now. His popularity in smash 4 and Brawl pales in comparison. I really think Geno will ride his smash ultimate surge of popularity into smash 6 just like Ridley and K Rool did for Ultimate from Smash 4.
Still though, if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate it will be at the likely cost of him never being in the same roster alongside all the veterans. I would much prefer Geno in Ultimate than in Smash 6. I think it's Geno time whether Nintendo and Square-Enix thinks so or not.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
That's not the only reason. Minecraft being heavily with Nintendo led outright to them getting Banjo & Kazooie in. You might also notice Sakurai directly advertised the series on Xbox. So it being an active series clearly had some play in it, even if a small one.

Phil Spencer helped, but there was blatantly more to it. It also helped that the core reason was Minecraft too, as admitted in an interview. And it makes sense. The biggest Microsoft franchise they have is teaming up with Nintendo in general, which puts the companies in good graces with each other. This made it very very easy to get a character. Phil Spencer and it being an overall active product made it even easier. It's actually not a surprise we got the character when everything was in the duo's favor. Minecraft leading to it is hindsight, since we couldn't have known how much it mattered, but the rest wasn't even hard to guess that it was important. Fan demand obviously helped too. I mean, when you have 4 things that helped, and only one that was hard to guess(Minecraft's involvement), that says a lot.

It's why B&K were literally the easiest prediction of Pass 1. Ignoring leaks, anyway. And people predicted Hero quite wrong too, so it wasn't as easy as people made it sound like. Terry on the other hand, once the leak hit, was the most guessed character of the SNK ones, so, that was an easy prediction, just not without a hard leak. It's odd; Brave was leaked by accident and people overall got it wrong most of the time. Cause saying "Erdrick" definitely does not count. Nor just saying Luminary or any other Hero. The only correct guess was a Hero alt situation. You don't get bonus points for only kind of getting it right. There's few who got the idea it's referring to the Hero Class, but came to an incorrect conclusion that it was just referring to Erdrick.

The easiest prediction of Pass 2 was easily Steve, but to be fair, it was easy to see him as inevitable. I just wish more characters(including Geno) were clearly the case.
Yeah that's true. Super glad we have them as their probably the last character that will be added that genuinely made me happy.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Aaronitmar got our back on Twitter:
People should just have the common sense of not harassing anyone because they wanted a video game character in a... video game, but that empathy is lost in a concerning amount of people.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Still though, if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate it will be at the likely cost of him never being in the same roster alongside all the veterans. I would much prefer Geno in Ultimate than in Smash 6. I think it's Geno time whether Nintendo and Square-Enix thinks so or not.
This is about where I'm at too. Our only hope as far as that's concerned is a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Complete Edition or whatever for their next Nintendo console, and that's if they decide to include more characters...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, that's something people don't get. "Play another version" isn't enough. The factor is the exact game with the exact character list and exact controls. There is no "other option".

This isn't even that similar to "all or nothing" between costumes and fully playable either. This is much bigger than that.

It's also why suggesting mods isn't good enough. Though modding Smash Ultimate to fully add Geno is another story, and actually would be good enough.

This is why the Melee crowd won't move on. It's how the specific game plays that matters, not just the character list alone. And they've got a good point. Not that I don't get that Nintendo wants money, which is literally every business ever(though some may be more lax on mods, or even make them somewhat official at times, etc.). And even those who might give a mod a break might shut down another one. Businesses want money for their current product. Nuff said.

I don't think we're getting an Ultimate Deluxe either, due to too much licensing required. Which would suck, cause I have tons of non-playable characters I want in with the current cast, so.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Nintendo doesn’t really care about Geno. It could have been easy to get him as a fighter especially with the amount of promotion and support Nintendo did for Square with Dragon Quest and FFVII (twice). They could have cut a deal. I no longer believe the narrative that Square wouldn’t allow Geno. I think Nintendo doesn’t want to be tied with the Mario RPG franchise since it’s shared with Square. It’s easier to service us for an “RPG” with their Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series. The profit won’t be split into two between Nintendo and Square.

I love Geno and I’ve always wanted him in since Melee, but I’m completely done with waiting for him as a playable character. If Geno was in Brawl, we wouldn’t even have discussions about his “worthiness” to be a smash character because “everyone is here”. This was really the perfect chance for Geno to be included in the game, he could have fit very well with the smash ultimate storyline with spirits.

What kinda hurts the most is that FFVII historically represents to me the departure of square and Nintendo because of their difference on whether to use cartridge or disc based media. Yet FFVII got so much fan service. However, Mario RPG is the result of a promise partnership with Nintendo and Square and what could have been.

Sakurai didn’t even acknowledge him anymore, like he wanted to keep shut about any hints that he desire this character in the franchise like he use to. I swear if I hear another interview with him saying that he wanted to include Geno, I’m calling it BS. There is really nothing stopping him from doing so.

Sorry for sounding negative. I love the passion that you guys shared about Geno, but I’m throwing in the towel.

Mario RPG is still a great game and continues to deserve the praise for doing so much good in the Mario franchise.

I’m just glad there are modders that will one day put Geno in ultimate. Maybe we can get rollback too... that would be the day!
I really think a lot of you guys are putting too much of the weight upon Nintendo and SE, when I think Sakurai plays a part in it. Do I think Sakurai dislikes Geno? Of course not, he likes Geno and understands how much people love the character, which is why he’s in the game. When he originally talked about considering Geno for Brawl, he said something along the lines of thinking he’d fit well with his arm-gun. Well, Mii gunner (along with swordfighter and brawler) exists now and allows Sakurai to give fans what he sees as the next best thing when their character doesn’t quite make the cut. The fact that Geno, an amazing little one-off character from 20 years ago, is on the same level of representation as someone as iconic as Heihachi is incredible to me and just shows that Sakurai knows how much you guys care for the character.

The problem is that I think a character needs one of two entities to push for them to make it in- Nintendo, or Sakurai. You could also make the argument for 3rd parties that their publisher could make the push for the character in their negotiations with the aforementioned entities. You guys have already listed plenty of reasons to think that Nintendo/SE is the problem, but think about Sakurai for a second. Look at how excited he was to talk about Sephiroth in his Sakurai presents (he even slipped and started talking about frame data and competitive viability, I don’t think he’s ever done that), how hard he tried to make that reveal trailer incredible (he succeeded), he gave Sephiroth a bad ass and unique victory screen, and lastly he even gave the guy his own boss fight to unlock him and it seems boss rush mode is exclusive to his classic mode. The guy loves JRPGs, specifically Final Fantasy, which is what I ultimately think is the downfall of Geno (for the time being at least).

He’s a square enix character, which puts him up against what seems to be one of Sakurai’s favorite series, Final Fantasy, as well as other iconic JRPGs like the Dragon Quest games. Again, I think Sakurai likes Geno, but he likes other characters from the same company more. Until either Nintendo or SE really pushes for Geno over Final Fantasy (and whatever other SE games Sakurai might have a passion for) I just don’t see it happening because 1) Sakurai clearly loves Final Fantasy/JRPGs and 2) SE loves pushing Final Fantasy. If Sakurai loved Geno above all else I think it would happen but that just doesn’t seem to be the case. Currently his situation seems to be that Sakurai likes him, Nintendo seems indifferent, and Square is willing to acknowledge him but would rather market their current games or more specifically FF.

If Sakurai truly likes the character and wants to toss a bone to the fans to an extent that is greater than being a costume, I think it will sadly have to be a base game or nothing type of deal. Trust me, as a Waluigi fan I know how crappy that sounds... every 5 or 6 years the base roster of the next game is revealed, oh look, trophy Waluigi again... SURELY the next time he’s a lock right? And the cycle continues... I hope I’m wrong but Geno might have a ticket to the same roller coaster that Waluigi has been on since brawl- recurring fan service consolation prize with hopes of making the base roster the next game.

Edit- TL;DR- Sakurai likes Geno but loves JRPGs, which puts Geno against tough competition as a Square character. Geno would have much higher odds if he was a first party character, but since he is having to compete for 3rd party spots within a company that makes games like DQ and FF, his odds get slim, especially when it’s clear that the aforementioned company cares more for current marketing than pleasing fans of an old, yet impactful character.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking of, now that we know Square and Enix aren't actually as combined as we thought, that means that Geno's competition is a bit more Square-specific. So Hero was likely irrelevant to him overall in a sense. Besides why the costume wasn't there(it's not much of a mystery with this knowledge in mind), it means that we got one Square and one Enix character. It means nothing beyond licensing, but don't forget we have two Capcom USA and one Capcom Co LTD. characters instead. Those are even more separated than Square and Enix, from a different part of the world.

So this also leads to an interesting thought; the Seven Squares List. It's clearly not accurate since it had Enix characters in, and one Disney one(who is legit tied to SE as a whole, though I forget which part actually works on KH). This also makes it so logical as leakbait. Most aren't aware that Square and Enix is fairly separated, so it's very easy to mistake that list as a combination of characters from "one" company. The fact Sora is there makes it more logical to pull this. Tons believe he's a SE owned character. It means they did a great job playing us for fools by using knowledge we weren't aware of or generally didn't think carefully on. An interesting thought, isn't it? That the leakbait was meant to prey to lack of knowledge. Which actually fits, since leakbait is there clearly to catch leakers in a rather mean way. I'm not saying it's unjustified, since leaking is actually bad, but this is crazy how much worse it may be than we thought.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I think Nintendo doesn’t want to be tied with the Mario RPG franchise since it’s shared with Square. It’s easier to service us for an “RPG” with their Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series. The profit won’t be split into two between Nintendo and Square.
Considering the fact Mario & Luigi is basically never coming back because AlphaDream is gone and Paper Mario has been relegated to "NPCs are just enemies and toads because Mario can't be derivative anymore (which btw is the same reason Waluigi hasn't had a game for himself at all, same guys who manage these mandates)" I don't think Nintendo really cares about Mario RPGs in general anymore. Which is incredibly sad.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I definitely believe that this is Geno's "Smash 4" compared to Ridley and K Rool. It wasn't until smash 4 that they became megaton requests. Back in Brawl we still needed characters like Diddy Kong and King Dedede, so they didn't stand out nearly as much, even if they were big requests. In 4, their popularity rose to a fever pitch, and people said "If it's not happening now, it never will". But Ridley and K Rool had only recently become as popular as they were, and in the next game they got in off of that smash 4 surge in popularity.

I know Geno has been requested since melee, but let's be honest, it wasn't until this game that he became the huge deal he is now. His popularity in smash 4 and Brawl pales in comparison. I really think Geno will ride his smash ultimate surge of popularity into smash 6 just like Ridley and K Rool did for Ultimate from Smash 4.
This, a lot of people have to remember that Geno support died down greatly during the Smash 4 spec days and didn’t get that same oophm Ridley and K.Rool got until the Mii Costume with the splash screen and Sakurai’s comment happened.

I could argue that Banjo was technically under the same position as Geno since he wasn’t that requested until Phil Spencer’s approval happened and thus got them in but that was most likely because Banjo didn’t have much competition outside Steve and Master Chief and being highly requested in the west which allowed Microsoft, a western company to listen to their audience.

Geno is bit of a different deal because I imagine not just SE but Japan in general is a bit more strict and stingy when it comes to character inclusions, they care less about their audiences’ personal desires and think more about the characters that benefit THEM, this especially seems to be accurate regarding Square Enix’s picks, it’s less about bias and just more towards priority hence why we got Hero and Sephiroth first over Sora or Geno.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Boop:
Aaronitmar got our back on Twitter:
Those kinds of messages are exactly what I needed to get through my frustrations from yesterday. So thank you both for sharing it :)

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well then. It has been an eventful week, hasn't it?

Since :ultsephiroth:'s reveal and then the semi-release (with that awesome Sephiroth's Challenge Idea, so fun) stuff has happened.

I have played with Sephiroth and he is interesting to CONTROL and to FIGHT. It's really like a boss character that joined the roster at times. It's great. I am starting to learn him since beating him and him the styles you could go for can be brutal. It's a matter of time to see how he'll develop in the meta game.

In the regards of the presentation, stuff has been said many times and to be short about it. I am so glad that there has been some costumes from FFVII in the form of Barret, Tifa and Aerith. It was debated, but for the most part it was called. Chocobo was second to them. Expected but still glad to see it return. And then, the one we all expected but didn't want to recognize until it happened: Geno.

Oh Geno.

I honestly was 50/50 on him showing and was leaning towards him appearing but man, it still stung. As soon as only one costume was left, I was just preparing for Geno and knew that he was going to show up, and was not wrong. When the track played before the logo showed up I was like: "Yeah, yeah..."

Let me offer condolences to the rest of the Geno gang members in the thread. It was sad but expected. I had a feeling but still. Oh well.

The rest of the presentation was great though IMO. We got tracks for the FF series (only VII but something is something) and spirits. The series has been redeemed. It took DLC for extra content but oh well.

At this point, I feel bad for how the situation played out. I am pleased with Ultimate as is but seeing Geno go down was upsetting.

Stay strong, guys. As people have said, remain hopeful for the future. Make your own content to bring him and keep him in the light. And perhaps, possibly reappear in some way in games.

:bowser::starman:.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
If I had to guess, I’m thinking Rayman or Lloyd would be the most likely banjo-like characters possible. Neither is at the level of Banjo’s hiatus, but it’s been quite a while since Rayman got a game, and although Tales has a game coming out, Symphonia has been sitting on a metaphorical shelf for awhile. They’re also both more popular than Banjo overall, but less so than someone like Steve or Sephiroth.
I want to compile a list of all the fan rules. Let's say it is for "science."
I’ll try and name as many I can remember that are still “in play”

1. DLC Mii costume deconfirms for dlc character
2. Post-launch spirits deconfirm
3. No more than one fighter per company per pass (likely barring nintendo)
4. No characters not appearing on a nintendo console (Joker and Cloud barely missed the mark).
5. No 4th party (this is a hard rule though, but I think it’s possible someone like Geralt or maybe even Revan would get a pass).
6. No more than one western character (this one is flimsy)

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
And really, all the jackasses on Twitter/Gamefaqs/V/YouTube comments going “he was never gonna happen, he’s an irrelevant side character from a 20 year old game, you’re a delusional idiot for thinking he had a chance.” can **** off for real.

He DID have a chance, EVERY ****ING CHARACTER has a chance as long as they’re from a video game, these dumb****s would’ve said this same **** if K.Rool or Banjo had not been in and piss on THEIR fans too.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master

Yup. I recall seeing Geno doing well in fan polls during the ballot for example, but support in general was kind of quiet compared to Ridley and K. Rool, definitely quieter than the Brawl era. I guess all the energy for Geno was used there and dwindled a bit with Smash 4. A bit of a shame really, since Geno likely didn't fare as well as he potentially could have in the ballot, the results of which we know were used for Ultimate. It wasn't until his Mii costume when Geno fans begun gathering up again, after the ballot had ended. Though I guess one could argue that the ballot results may have given us the Mii costume itself, I dunno.

So the timing has been kind of up and down with Geno. If this keeps up now, Smash 6 could very well happen for him. However, I do understand having Geno not in Ultimate is disappointing, considering Sakurai has delivered so many other big names in this game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom