• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Ah yes, I too remember in Persona 5 when Joker finds the sawed off shotgun in Ryuji's Palace. Very weird turn of events to go from a pretty straightforward RPG to a hyperviolent, bloody FPS that revels in the gore/violence. ATLUS really stepped out of their comfort zone with that one.

It wouldn't be as large as it was back in the day, but a DOOM inclusion would be sure to ruffle a few feathers. It's probably why we don't even have a Doom Guy/Slayer mii costume yet.
I actually do remember finding shotguns in Persona 5. Quite a few times actually, as they were Ryuji's main weapon. I would argue that pedophiles are more mature content than anything doom has, but if you want both look at Bayonetta. She kills angels with literal torture machines spraying blood everywhere while she strips. The "too mature for smash" argument died with her in smash 4.

PrinceMallow

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I just found out about these boards and came to share in the sadness, lol. It really sucks that Geno is just a costume yet again.

But I wanted to say something else. If you're not happy with this decision, stop giving them your money. You're essentially rewarding them for not putting Geno in the game.

I haven't purchased a copy of Smash since Brawl because I refuse to support them until they put Geno in the game. So if you really care, stop giving them your money. When the next Smash game or DLC comes out DON'T buy it -tweet at them and let them know why you'll not be purchasing it. If you want Geno in, that's the only way to proceed. Because complaining on here while you continue to support them financially isn't productive.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey everyone. I just found out about these boards and came to share in the sadness, lol. It really sucks that Geno is just a costume yet again.

But I wanted to say something else. If you're not happy with this decision, stop giving them your money. You're essentially rewarding them for not putting Geno in the game.

I haven't purchased a copy of Smash since Brawl because I refuse to support them until they put Geno in the game. So if you really care, stop giving them your money. When the next Smash game or DLC comes out DON'T buy it -tweet at them and let them know why you'll not be purchasing it. If you want Geno in, that's the only way to proceed. Because complaining on here while you continue to support them financially isn't productive.
There's literally only five Geno fans in the world so this won't work.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I hope you're not leaving Malo because that would suck. But I understand though. If you're leaving I'm going to miss you buddy.
Yeah, my bad if I made it sound too much like a farewell post. I'm not exactly leaving per se, but I won't be here a lot is all. Even less so than I have been in previous months.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I get what you're saying but I don't think not buying anything will have the impact you think it will. Nintendo obviously pays attention to what mii costumes are popular. There's a reason why K. Rool and Inkling got in whereas several mii costumes from SSB4 didn't. People bought their costumes and voted for them on the ballot. I'm pretty disappointed at the situation but I'll still buy the mii costume to show my support of the character specifically.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, my bad if I made it sound too much like a farewell post. I'm not exactly leaving per se, but I won't be here a lot is all. Even less so than I have been in previous months.
Good to hear you'll still be here. I'll be here less often myself as I'll be camping out at the Shantae thread more often now that the Geno costume came back. I'll still come by here everyday to check on everyone though.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Good to hear you'll still be here. I'll be here less often myself as I'll be camping out at the Shantae thread more often now that the Geno costume came back. I'll still come by here everyday to check on everyone though.
Aye, that's fine. Honestly I'll just be glad if the thread doesn't completely die the course of a few weeks or months after all of this. Imma still be checking in here every so often, probably.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Yeah, that totally will make things turn out good for you, sure.

To be blunt, that will do **** all

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Understandable. I mean I have other charcters i'd like to seein, but the geno board is the only one I participate in actively.
Yeah, me too. I also used to be in the Doomguy and Waluigi threads for a while, and even though I still want them, I just haven't had the energy to really post in either for a good few months

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well I think geno is probably toast, but I doubt that's much of a revelation or unique take. Chin up gang, we might have lost this battle but we haven't lost the war. Maybe we'll have to wait for smash 6, or bust our own asses to get him on the roster of a supported mod like pm or remix(this is my long term goal rn btw, feel free to hit me up), but as long as we do what we best we'll be the winners in the end.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I get what you're saying but I don't think not buying anything will have the impact you think it will. Nintendo obviously pays attention to what mii costumes are popular. There's a reason why K. Rool and Inkling got in whereas several mii costumes from SSB4 didn't. People bought their costumes and voted for them on the ballot. I'm pretty disappointed at the situation but I'll still buy the mii costume to show my support of the character specifically.
Could go either way honestly, but I tend to agree more with Prince Mallow on this. Personally I wouldn't buy the costume and don't plan on it.
The way I see it, the fans have already shown the previous mii costume enough support. It was obviously popular enough to bring back. Getting enough people to not buy it may actually force Nintendo's hand a bit to at least "upgrade" it in order to recoup any losses that occurred for licensing and development.

Unfortunately. people tend to buy anything Nintendo, so it would be difficult to get people to rally behind this idea in unity.

Some of you may think that not purchasing it will have the adverse affect and cause Nintendo to think that the character isn't wanted, but I doubt it. With Social Media platforms being so prevalent nowadays a simple hashtag that explains why people are boycotting the character would pretty much ensure that Nintendo doesn't get the idea twisted.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I notice there are a lot of people here who genuinely think that the Famitsu Column will have nothing to say about the costume. This has been pushed with a 'The interviewer has to ask him' or 'Sakurai hasn't talked about other costumes there recently.'

The first is a her durr response and Sakurai can talk about whatever he wants here.

The second normally makes sense, until you realize Geno's costume is arguably the biggest elephant in the dev room because we had this happen once already and you gave us the excuse once already. Not addressing it is like trying to ignore major life issues in a way, and I feel like Geno fans have been strung along long enough.

Just be honest with us: if it can't happen, or you don't care about making it happen any more, just say so, ya know?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I can't remember if someone else said this awhile ago but I don't think "voting with your wallet" as the kids say nowadays isn't a viable strategy. I mean, we're talking about a console that's still difficult to find at your local best buy, whose triple-A titles consistently sell a million by the end of launch week and usually go way beyond that. Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money, but if you aren't gonna support Smash for something as nebulous as "the character I want isn't in this game", you're only robbing yourself.

The real way to get our voices heard is to be loud. It happened with Ridley. It happened with King K. Rool. It happened with Banjo & Kazooie. It may not have happened with Geno yet... but we've got to remain strong and vocal like we've been over the past two or so years. Don't let this character fall into obscurity like many of the characters people supported in Brawl.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Boop:
People will think its hilarious and foster it to get worse. The hate will be a laugh riot to them.....until it decides to move onto THEIR most wanted. Then it will be unfair.

Geno is out of the running, and that obsession from detractors just doesn't poof into thin air. That spite has to go somewhere; they will merely work down the list of fan favorites hoping to get in and move onto their next target.

Its like FFX Sin: a fanbase getting too big for their britches in the detractors' eyes? Time to knock them down because reasons.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean, if we're talking current predictions, ironically just like with Steve nothing fundamental has changed. I expected both a Microsoft and Square character to show up, and we got both, just not the characters I was expecting. Looking over the current Pass 2 though, we're halfway and there's actually a bit of a consistent trend. More so than Pass 1, Nintendo's choices feel a lot more... corporate in their decision making. Call it baseless pattern searching if you want, fair enough, but let's actually examine this.

• Min Min : An ARMS rep feels like an odd choice for a first-party character, right? Looking at this from the perspective of Nintendo though, it starts to make a little more sense. They were almost certainly one of, if not the first character decided for Pass 2, and Nintendo clearly wanted to add another character from a popular Switch game, just like they did with Byleth. Actually looking at where Switch games were standing in terms of sales at the time... List_of_best_selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games_Wikipedia(1).png (this chart is from August 2019) You can see that ARMS was actually the best selling Switch game without substantial representation in Smash. Nintendo probably just looked at their sales figures and thought that would be the most popular because it sold the most, I don't doubt the idea that if Xenoblade 2 sold better than ARMS, we would have gotten Rex instead.
  • Steve : Moving onto the Block Man, its a given that Minecraft is the BEST SELLING video game of all time. More importantly though, it's actually done really well on Switch. Currently, it seems to be the best selling third-party Switch game with over 2 Million sold, but that number is misleading, since it only accounts for the 500,000 European sales Nintendo has officially stated, and the 1.5 million it has sold in Japan PHYSICALLY according to Famitsu. That doesn't account for Japanese Digital Sales, or any sales in North America, I wouldn't doubt if that figure was more than doubled at 4 million. Point is, Minecraft was A. Extremely Successful, and going through a big resurgence in popularity last year, B. Doing Extremely Well on Switch, and C. Doing extremely well in Japan, being the only game Microsoft has even managed to sell over a million copies in the region, and not even on their platform. It does make sense why they would go for him even instead of a bombshell like Chief.
  • Sephiroth : He's one of the most iconic villains in gaming, and more importantly, said game was set to recieve a high profile AAA remake by the time he was revealed for Smash Brothers. It does make more financial sense for Nintendo and Square to go with him over Geno, Crono, or even Neku despite his franchise seeing a resurgence soon.
I've brought up the idea that aside from Banjo, every character in Pass 1 was from a popular, and more importantly relevant and successful franchise at the time. Looking over the first half of Pass 2 so far, Nintendo has clearly doubled down on going after big, earth shattering money makers. That's not an entirely bad thing, plenty of popular characters like Crash also happen to be from big franchises that are doing well, but it's a big reason why I look at characters like Rayman and Ryu Hayabusa, who have fallen out of the public eye a lot over the last 7-8 years due to a lack of games, as being less likely.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Boop:
PJiggles over here being epic like usual

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
Well, that was a rocky start.

Turns out not only did I get a used cartridge, but judging from how it kept freezing and stopping, it's also a broken one. So we'll be heading back tomorrow to hopefully exchange it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I definitely believe that this is Geno's "Smash 4" compared to Ridley and K Rool. It wasn't until smash 4 that they became megaton requests. Back in Brawl we still needed characters like Diddy Kong and King Dedede, so they didn't stand out nearly as much, even if they were big requests. In 4, their popularity rose to a fever pitch, and people said "If it's not happening now, it never will". But Ridley and K Rool had only recently become as popular as they were, and in the next game they got in off of that smash 4 surge in popularity.

I know Geno has been requested since melee, but let's be honest, it wasn't until this game that he became the huge deal he is now. His popularity in smash 4 and Brawl pales in comparison. I really think Geno will ride his smash ultimate surge of popularity into smash 6 just like Ridley and K Rool did for Ultimate from Smash 4.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, that was a rocky start.

Turns out not only did I get a used cartridge, but judging from how it kept freezing and stopping, it's also a broken one. So we'll be heading back tomorrow to hopefully exchange it.
Damn, that sucks. I had a similar issue with Sonic Adventure 2. ...It doesn't help the GameCube version likes to freeze on me often too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom