• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heoj

Smash Ace
So have you guys seen this?

While I'm not the type to put stock or cent on any 4chan leak, I think it's interesting someone predicted Min Min, Steve, and Sephiroth all the way back in May.
I heard that was just a fake edit

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Bethesda has already come forward to say that Nintendo hasn't come to them to ask about including a character in Smash though.
So it's still up in the air if it's credible.
That doesn't mean ****. Grant Kirihope lied about not being involved with any upcoming Banjo-Kazooie music yet he worked on the Spiral Mountain remix in Ultimate.

Dan

Smash Lord
That doesn't mean ****. Grant Kirihope lied about not being involved with any upcoming Banjo-Kazooie music yet he worked on the Spiral Mountain remix in Ultimate.
I know... would Bethesda really say if Nintendo came to them about Ultimate?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So if it's true then Ninjara was originally an alt?
Sakurai said in the Min Min Presentation that he considered between Min Min and Ninjara and Min Min got in because the Arms creator wanted her.

I heard that was just a fake edit
Where did you hear that?

They don't have to. When you're under a NDA you can lie. Grant Kirihope lied about Banjo & Kazooie so...

Reactions: Dan

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
You're correct. Alone that doesn't mean anything. But then I can point to DOOM and that little Mature rating in the corner there and we've got ourselves a nice little recipe for "About As Likely as Good Ultimate Netcode Stew", feeds a party of 4.

And before you combat the rating point, realistically imagine what the media's reaction to DOOM getting in Smash would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
You're correct. Alone that doesn't mean anything. But then I can point to DOOM and that little Mature rating in the corner there and we've got ourselves a nice little recipe for "About As Likely as Good Ultimate Netcode Stew", feeds a party of 4.

And before you combat the rating point, realistically imagine what the media's reaction to DOOM getting in Smash would be.
:ultsnake: :ultbayonetta::ultjoker: say Hello about the M rating thing.

The first dungeon in Persona 5 is about the Phantom Thieves taking on a gym teacher who physically, emotionally & sexually abuses his students. I’d say that’s far more mature & risqué than some demons getting ripped apart.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I think the media's reaction to Doom Slayer in Smash would be positive as Doom Slayer is one of the most requested characters in Smash. Plus a lot of people have been memeing Doom and Animal Crossing and if they have to, they can just tone down Doom Slayer with the gore and blood.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace

Do they even go after Doom anymore? I know it was a big punching bag in the 90’s but the scape goat today is usually GTA or COD (although I can’t remember the last time I sat down and watched TV news for more than 5 minutes).

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I'm probably too late to write a message like this, but I'll do it anyway. Yesterday was no doubt a devastating day for all of us. I should know, I got eviscerated on Twitter for really no good reason. It felt like a failure in every level and the worst part is that there's nothing we can really do but accept it. I already did that myself. Like whatever right? I'll buy the costume to show my support, never use it, never even play smash for a long ass because I just don't even have the drive to do it and that's that. I'll hold the L.

For some of us, it'll take more time or more work but it's all fine. Is that to say I lost hope on Geno completely? No, actually. It's just far more low-key than it used to be. I believe he's done for in Fighter Pass 2. In future DLC, if that's to happen? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath. There's some theories and speculation to suggest he could still be coming, and I like thinking about them, but I won't take them as seriously.

I don't want to impose my thoughts onto other people or anything, but I do wanna suggest this line of thinking for anyone out there who's feeling especially defeated about this whole thing. Accepting that what's done is done, but at the same time, keeping that little shred of hope alive. People might be mocking us, but merely remaining a little positive and looking forward to the future is not a bad thing. It's what got us so far in the first place.

And with that, I hope every single one of you wonderful people who fought day and night, year after year for Geno, can have a good holiday season and just a good life going forward in general. Peace, and take care.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm probably too late to write a message like this, but I'll do it anyway. Yesterday was no doubt a devastating day for all of us. I should know, I got eviscerated on Twitter for really no good reason. It felt like a failure in every level and the worst part is that there's nothing we can really do but accept it. I already did that myself. Like whatever right? I'll buy the costume to show my support, never use it, never even play smash for a long ass because I just don't even have the drive to do it and that's that. I'll hold the L.

For some of us, it'll take more time or more work but it's all fine. Is that to say I lost hope on Geno completely? No, actually. It's just far more low-key than it used to be. I believe he's done for in Fighter Pass 2. In future DLC, if that's to happen? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath. There's some theories and speculation to suggest he could still be coming, and I like thinking about them, but I won't take them as seriously.

I don't want to impose my thoughts onto other people or anything, but I do wanna suggest this line of thinking for anyone out there who's feeling especially defeated about this whole thing. Accepting that what's done is done, but at the same time, keeping that little shred of hope alive. People might be mocking us, but merely remaining a little positive and looking forward to the future is not a bad thing. It's what got us so far in the first place.

And with that, I hope every single one of you wonderful people who fought day and night, year after year for Geno, can have a good holiday season and just a good life going forward in general. Peace, and take care.
I hope you're not leaving Malo because that would suck. But I understand though. If you're leaving I'm going to miss you buddy.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Do they even go after Doom anymore? I know it was a big punching bag in the 90’s but the scape goat today is usually GTA or COD (although I can’t remember the last time I sat down and watched TV news for more than 5 minutes).
That's so late 2000s/early 2010s dude. Nowadays it's all about the "X game is the dark souls of X genre" in gaming media. Crash deconfirmed

Nah but for real though, COD and GTA do still seem to end up in the media, although I'm also very out of it since I rarely look in to those things either. The most I can think of is the whole debacle about Battlefront 2 that led to EA getting absolutely body slammed by the media.

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
:ultsnake: :ultbayonetta::ultjoker: say Hello about the M rating thing.

The first dungeon in Persona 5 is about the Phantom Thieves taking on a gym teacher who physically, emotionally & sexually abuses his students. I’d say that’s far more mature & risqué than some demons getting ripped apart.
Ah yes, I too remember in Persona 5 when Joker finds the sawed off shotgun in Ryuji's Palace. Very weird turn of events to go from a pretty straightforward RPG to a hyperviolent, bloody FPS that revels in the gore/violence. ATLUS really stepped out of their comfort zone with that one.

It wouldn't be as large as it was back in the day, but a DOOM inclusion would be sure to ruffle a few feathers. It's probably why we don't even have a Doom Guy/Slayer mii costume yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
wow that sucks that it seems like jeff grubb and irman wernt serious Fatmanonice Fatmanonice any thoughts on this
Remember, asking me questions is a gateway drug. :troll: There's no real way to tell if they're telling the truth or not so it's kind of irrelevant. For the sake of trolling I can use the Grant Kirkhope example everybody else does. People use it for Sora, Doomguy, Arle, etc so I guess I have permission to use it here if nobody opposes. ~

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
hyperviolent, bloody FPS that revels in the gore/violence. ATLUS really stepped out of their comfort zone with that one.
Yeah because Bayonetta isn’t a hyperviolent, hypersexualized, bloody character action game that revels in gore/violence and the sexualization of the main character to the point that she strips a little or a lot with every move she makes.
It wouldn't be as large as it was back in the day, but a DOOM inclusion would be sure to ruffle a few feathers. It's probably why we don't even have a Doom Guy/Slayer mii costume yet.
Why would it exactly? I’m curious. It didn’t ruffle a lot of feathers when Bayonetta got in. I feel like this is pretty gatekeepy though I’m not sure if you intended it to sound that way.

Edit: literally thought I was in the Newcomer Thread what the hell. Oh well. It’s there now.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yeah because Bayonetta isn’t a hyperviolent, hypersexualized, bloody character action game that revels in gore/violence and the sexualization of the main character to the point that she strips a little or a lot with every move she makes.

Why would it exactly? I’m curious. It didn’t ruffle a lot of feathers when Bayonetta got in. I feel like this is pretty gatekeepy though I’m not sure if you intended it to sound that way.
Doomguy can just be brutal in a ridley way, if u ask me.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Do you even hear yourself?

This is a new degree of denial. Geno got costumed, that's the end of it.

This makes NO sense. If Geno were coming they wouldn't have turned him into a costume again, especially this late into the DLC cycle. If we're really walking back the whole "post-launch DLC costumes are a deconfirm" thing, then Heihachi and Travis are back on the table and could just as easily be challenger 9

I don't even care if I'm called a doomer or "high and mighty" at this point, SOMEONE has to drag you back to reality.

Geno's done. We lost. We fought a good fight but it just wasn't in the cards. Do yourself a favor and move on.
Honestly dude you're a huge fair weather fan bandwagon jumper. I have my doubts he's getting into Ultimate too but you don't need to lecture people here about it. It's just off-putting.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
The hate is sad, but there's also been a lot of Geno fans making preposterous claims for years, like bigger than Banjo, every damn fake leak, etc... So it's not super surprising to see childish behavior pop up from one side or the other. 4000 pages pages on here is a testament to a nice community that's been built, but it unfortunately does not reflect the actual popularity or relevance of Geno. Like others have said, let's celebrate his continuous appearance in Smash games despite everything holding him back, understand the wink that Sakurai made about music copyrights (which extends to characters), and bury the false hope finally.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Remember, asking me questions is a gateway drug. :troll: There's no real way to tell if they're telling the truth or not so it's kind of irrelevant. For the sake of trolling I can use the Grant Kirkhope example everybody else does. People use it for Sora, Doomguy, Arle, etc so I guess I have permission to use it here if nobody opposes. ~
There's a difference between "person who works on the games" saying something, and "journalist/insider saying something, getting asked about it, and then saying it didn't mean anything". There's literally no reason to not take what he's saying at face value here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's a difference between "person who works on the games" saying something, and "journalist/insider saying something, getting asked about it, and then saying it didn't mean anything". There's literally no reason to not take what he's saying at face value here.
(Shhhh, just go along with it. It doesn't have to make sense.)

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Regarding Twitter/4chan/reddit/smash community members using us as a punching bag my question at this point is: Why? I really don't get it. Geno is unique in that he hasn't been used officially in a long time, but he obviously has a huge fanbase. I just can't wrap my head around why people **** on us specifically when we don't really do anything or have any geno friends that do overtly toxic **** like certain other characters arguably do. He's a popular side character from a very well-liked game. It shouldn't really matter that it's an old one. I remember that during the period between Melee and Brawl Pit was the big fan favorite to get in. I even remember popular game magazines at the time wrote about it. I had zero clue who he was or why people cared but just kind of accepted it. And at the time he was announced for Brawl Kid Icarus was a game that was 20 years old and was only availiable for NES. There were no re-releases or remakes or anything like that back then. It didn't have nearly the accessibility for new gamers that SMRPG has currently. But you didn't really see the same level of vitriol lobbed at him or his fans. Another comparison is Waluigi. That's a character whose fans literally threatened NOA employees over getting snubbed, and has huge support. So it's obviously not an issue of toxicity within our community affecting the way we're perceived.

I think the truth at this point is that Geno to a lot of people has turned into a safe punching bag and scapegoat that they can simultaneously project any sort of accusations they want and make fun of for easy clout. People literally cherry pick negative or "cringe" posts from Geno fans and make sweeping judgements about all of us. I think it's fair to say we're going to be seen as the SSB4 Ridley fans from here on out regardless of what we do or don't do here.

I really hope that 4chan post does miraculously come true. Rayman and Doomguy would be killer. Doomguy especially is a character that I was neutral about but came to be really hype for coincidentally because of Cacomallow. I think he'd be an awesome addition, and if a Mallow costume does come with a Cacodemon hat I'd definitely buy it. I still think the Cacomallow leak is too good to be faked.

Also the Jeff Grubb thing is pretty ****ty. I think the guy genuinely loves SMRPG and from the tone of his message didn't consider people actually taking his posts to heart.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatman, let's just say geno is off the table
What are ur predictions for this pass now?
Well, in the event Geno is totally BTFO, uh, my next three companies are Namco, Activision, and Capcom. To be as wholly pragmatic as possible, I shall make no specific predictions for predictions are unpredictable and being wrong is very, very bad. Yes, indeed, mmm, yes... Quite so. In fact, I shall revise my predictions to be even safer and non-offensive by saying we will be getting exactly three characters after this one. Indeed we shall.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy can just be brutal in a ridley way, if u ask me.
Speaking of that, bringing it back to Geno a bit,

I've seen people argue about how the IP protection team for Mario, or whoever was against more unique characters in Paper Mario vetoing Geno for smash. My main question in that regard is this: Why is the imagery of Ridley snapping Mario's neck, Luigi getting his soul torn out by the grim reaper, and the fake out of Sephiroth stabbing right through Mario okay for the brand, while having more original characters outside of main games (and apparently Luigi's mansion) isn't?

For the record, this isn't a rhetorical question. The problem is in that I could see this reason applying to smash too. I just don't understand WHY that's the case. Maybe it's just beyond my tiny brain, but I don't see the logic in it, and the fact I can see it being the case is disheartening. But at the same time, it doesn't seem to apply to the main games either, nor, like I said, Luigi's mansion. So does that mean they still have the same level of say in that? Are they just very fickle? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I really hope that 4chan post does miraculously come true. Rayman and Doomguy would be killer. Doomguy especially is a character that I was neutral about but came to be really hype for coincidentally because of Cacomallow. I think he'd be an awesome addition, and if a Mallow costume does come with a Cacodemon hat I'd definitely buy it. I still think the Cacomallow leak is too good to be faked.
Imagine if Doomguy gets in and comes with the EXACT cacodemon hat from the leak, and Mallow doesn’t show up. The chances of Geno or at least another Square rep post-pass 2 would go through the roof.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
With the Kirkhope thing, it’s also important to note that Kirkhope never lied. He was just being as cheeky as you would expect from him: “Don’t hold your breath”. That’s not the “we literally talked to them and it didn’t work out” from Marty, that’s “don’t get your hopes up”.

Moreover, the main reason that I heavily, heavily doubt that leak is the idea that we’d get a pass that ends up 50/50 between Japan and western picks, and the “plans for Crash” leak that has been 100% correct so far. I don’t even want Crash myself since I genuinely don’t want to see Activision anywhere near the game, but I’m still convinced that it’s going to end exactly how they said that it would.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Imagine if Doomguy gets in and comes with the EXACT cacodemon hat from the leak, and Mallow doesn’t show up. The chances of Geno or at least another Square rep post-pass 2 would go through the roof.
Sakurai manages to negotiate the rights for sora (complete with halloween town stage) yet still can't get Square to hand over the ****in puppet. But have Mallow lol

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Play Bayonetta 1/2 and then Doom 2016/Eternal, come back and compare them again.
Especially with Doom Slayer's sexy arm veins.

Edit: literally thought I was in the Newcomer Thread what the hell. Oh well. It’s there now.
Again, the two games are nothing alike in the comparison above. There's a difference between a Mature rated Platinum DMC game and DOOM 2016 where blood and viscera on your gauntlets is called "a minor annoyance". I didn't mean it as gatekeeping (nor is it even remotely close) but my entire opinion was that DOOM Guy/Slayer wouldn't get into Smash even if Bethesda lied about Nintendo approaching them for inclusion because of the franchise's violence levels and how Nintendo likely wouldn't want to risk mucking the waters with his inclusion.

Edit: lul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom