• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, come to think of it, the "Mii costume Swap outs" are really inconsistent:

Tails- No
Knuckles- No
Veronica-No
Slime- No
Zero- No
Protoman- No
Akira- No
Rabbid- No
X - No
EXE- No
Cuphead- Yes
Ninjara- Yes
Callie- No
Marie- No
Creeper- Yes
"Whutdahell?!? Dis Game Got Pig Physics?!?" - Yes
Bomberman- No
Isn't every "yes" just a DLC spirit too?

Since that seems to be the only consistent to them. If the spirit is base game, no swaps out. If the spirit is DLC, then swap outs. At least that is what I understand about it.

Though clearly not all DLC spirits got that either. So there's a consistency, yes, but it's not applied to all DLC spirits either. So it's more like "we might swap out DLC spirits with their Mii costume".

I am actually very curious about future deluxe mii's. I really want Hat Kid, some FNAF Freddy, etc.
Freddy and Brian definitely for me. I'd have said Geno(if not playable), but... yeah. Let's see, who else... I guess Nightmare(Soul Calibur) would be another neat one. Well, assuming not playable in all these cases.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing something that even someone with my lack of talent can do, and that is making videos (woo, spicy jab at current content creators, me SO EDGY!).

I'm gonna be working on a follow up video to the one I just made, discussing where we should go from here and hwo it's technically not over even if it feels like it's all said and done.

I have another video idea I want to make, and it's like a weird reverse of what MisterMike MisterMike had planned, which is the idea to get reactions to Geno's costume reveal and make a collage of showing how disappointed people were at this reveal, much like what was done with Waluigi.

If you know any channels who had such an interaction, let me know so I can attempt to get ahold of them. I'm also thinking about including art work from talented persons that expressions their sadness about Geno being costumed. This idea here is to have a massive amount of evidence of how big a deal this was for us and to upload it, and maybe even tag Nintendo in it in every way I can so they get the message.

If nothing else, there will be a video on the internet that exists showing collectively how much people love and really wanted Geno in Smash, so the internet will have a reference point to how big a deal he actually was.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So, now that I have an account to post with, here is my thoughts on Geno after the presentation. I am sure everyone wants to know.

(Disclaimer: This is not based on any sort of leaked or non-confirmed, this is based solely on how things played out yesterday and my opinion following it all)

I believe Geno still has a chance to make it in.

1. Geno not being deluxe actually makes me feel good here. We have plenty of characters that are playing and have generic costume attributes. I don’t think the order they are presented in matter, just that this fact exists.

2. No music tracks coming with Geno, but two tracks being taken down specifically by Nintendo doesn’t sit correctly with me. If it was just Forest that was taken down, I wouldn’t be skeptical about it. Having two being taken and only one used is weird.

The tracks being taken down by Nintendo make me want to believe that Nintendo now owns the rights to these songs. Providing no foul play is at hand. We all know how sketchy YouTube’s copyright system is.

3. Sakurai said not a word about Geno. This is very out of character. He knows the level of love this character has and he shares this sentiment with us. He knows the level of support Geno is getting and if he feels this is going to be a permanent blow, he would have said something. I am basing this completely off of Sakurai’s character.

Until he says something in a famitsu column, we’re pretty safe.
Great optimism and while it is shocking he didn’t talk about Geno’s costume, it was probably because it was an old one from the previous game.

Although it’ll pretty much take a miracle for Geno to somehow pull an 180° but we’ll just have to wait and see.

This is wishful thinking but there’s two scenarios for the SMRPG songs being taken down, Nintendo possibly might have secret plans for the game and it’s characters or they’re just being pretentious ***holes.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isn't every "yes" just a DLC spirit too?

Since that seems to be the only consistent to them. If the spirit is base game, no swaps out. If the spirit is DLC, then swap outs. At least that is what I understand about it.
... ****, you're right... Looks like this post is going to be screenshot for another Fatman BTFO compilation. 🎃

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
my mains won't be cut because I main kirby and bowser, but yeah, a lot of characters will be cut
I think Bowser, Kirby, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bowser Jr. are all safe for sure. Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Sephiroth, Palutena, Simon, Lucina, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, and Min Min will probably all get cut. I'm betting out of that bunch, Ridley and K. Rool will survive because of being big Nintendo villains and heavily requested Nintendo Smash Ballot characters back in the day. K. Rool I think will stay because his fans brought him back from the dead and Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot by removing K. Rool. But I'm going to miss most of my mains especially Banjo & Kazooie, Sephiroth, Palutena, and Simon.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think Bowser, Kirby, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bowser Jr. are all safe for sure. Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Sephiroth, Palutena, Simon, Lucina, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, and Min Min will probably all get cut. I'm betting out of that bunch, Ridley and K. Rool will survive because of being big Nintendo villains and heavily requested Nintendo Smash Ballot characters back in the day. K. Rool I think will stay because his fans brought him back from the dead and Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot by removing K. Rool. But I'm going to missing most of my mains especially Banjo & Kazooie, Sephiroth, Palutena, and Simon.
I kinda wonder if rights deals will actually be a bit smoother next time around. Would company's be concerned about being "the greedy ****s who turned down Sakurai?" in the public eye? IDK

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I think Bowser, Kirby, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bowser Jr. are all safe for sure. Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Sephiroth, Palutena, Simon, Lucina, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, and Min Min will probably all get cut. I'm betting out of that bunch, Ridley and K. Rool will survive because of being big Nintendo villains and heavily requested Nintendo Smash Ballot characters back in the day. K. Rool I think will stay because his fans brought him back from the dead and Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot by removing K. Rool. But I'm going to miss most of my mains especially Banjo & Kazooie, Sephiroth, Palutena, and Simon.
I feel like ridley is more likely to stay than bowser jr, imo unless samus is the only metroid character ridley is safe

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
When are we expecting the next famitsu column to drop? In addition, do we think sakurai will mention Geno, or will the focus be entirely on Sephiroth?
If Sakurai doesn't mention the Geno costume that could be a plus for us. If he does than that could be bad.

I kinda wonder if rights deals will actually be a bit smoother next time around. Would company's be concerned about being "the greedy ****s who turned down Sakurai?" in the public eye? IDK
I don't know about the other companies, but Square-Enix and Konami are douchebags that might not allow Sakurai to have another chance with their characters unless Nintendo really coughs up the dough.

Last edited:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Yeah, come to think of it, the "Mii costume Swap outs" are really inconsistent:

Tails- No
Knuckles- No
Veronica-No
Slime- No
Zero- No
Protoman- No
Akira- No
Rabbid- No
X - No
EXE- No
Cuphead- Yes
Ninjara- Yes
Callie- No
Marie- No
Creeper- Yes
"Whutdahell?!? Dis Game Got Pig Physics?!?" - Yes
Bomberman- No
From the looks of it they only change DLC spirits not BASE spirits. All spirits from 1.0 will remain how they were, all dlc spirits and events will be altered if you have said Mii costume

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If my memory serves, Sakurai didn't mention Geno unprovoked, didn't an interviewer specifically ask him about it? I'd wager in a format like his Famitsu column, he won't even bring it up.
It was a source gaming interview
Get Dustin on the Phone
It was a Nintendo Dream interview, Source Gaming translated it here:

Geno is the first one talked about under “Mii Costumes.”

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
If my memory serves, Sakurai didn't mention Geno unprovoked, didn't an interviewer specifically ask him about it? I'd wager in a format like his Famitsu column, he won't even bring it up.
Yeah I agree. Anyone thinking the Famitsu column is going to shed light on Geno is a little too optimistic. He didn't dedicate a single word to Geno after the unceremonious showcase of the costume yesterday and I'd wager even if the reporter did ask a Geno question Sakurai would politely not comment. It's going to be all about FF.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just to be clear the Mii costume was going to come back either way so it's not like there was anything we could do to stop it from happening, but the fact that it is not even deluxe makes me feel that he still has a chance at being the last character.
Exactly what I think is going to happen. Geno is either probably going to be a bonus at the end or in Fighter's Pass 3 if that happens.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing something that even someone with my lack of talent can do, and that is making videos (woo, spicy jab at current content creators, me SO EDGY!).

I'm gonna be working on a follow up video to the one I just made, discussing where we should go from here and hwo it's technically not over even if it feels like it's all said and done.

I have another video idea I want to make, and it's like a weird reverse of what MisterMike MisterMike had planned, which is the idea to get reactions to Geno's costume reveal and make a collage of showing how disappointed people were at this reveal, much like what was done with Waluigi.

If you know any channels who had such an interaction, let me know so I can attempt to get ahold of them. I'm also thinking about including art work from talented persons that expressions their sadness about Geno being costumed. This idea here is to have a massive amount of evidence of how big a deal this was for us and to upload it, and maybe even tag Nintendo in it in every way I can so they get the message.

If nothing else, there will be a video on the internet that exists showing collectively how much people love and really wanted Geno in Smash, so the internet will have a reference point to how big a deal he actually was.
Personally I don't see the fun in a compilation like that, but you do you. I still have my reaction recorded so if you'd like to make that compilation, I could upload my reaction to that for you.

protoblues

Smash Cadet
Am I reading correctly that some people still think Geno could be in Smash Ultimate? I don't want you guys to set yourselves up for more disappointment. I hope you're all in a place where you understand Geno joining Smash was always, at a minimum, unlikely, and it not happening is something you accept.

Wishing for Geno at this point is sort of like wishing for world peace. It’s not going to happen and no one who has the power to make it happen is working on it, but it’s OK to want good things. And if that’s what you’re doing, that’s fine!

Wishing for Geno prior to the costume drop was more the logical extension of wishing for a game console at Christmas. We didn’t fully understand what’s involved in making the wish come true, but it could definitely happen and became more likely to happen the more we made our wishes known. That’s just not the case now. There’s no reasonable possibility of seeing Geno in Smash.

Before you let anyone tell you that Geno’s costume isn’t a deconfirm, ask yourself: why Nintendo wouldn’t do any of the following instead?
  • Have Geno’s costume return at the end of Geno’s own character reveal
  • Have Geno’s costume return at the end of Sephiroth’s spotlight, and then have the real Geno KO the costume as the presentation’s “one more thing” moment announcing that Geno is in development.
  • Have Geno’s costume return at the beginning of the next mystery character reveal, only for it to be immediately replaced by the real Geno
Do you really believe Nintendo would go out of their way to disappoint the very people who would get excited about Geno’s inclusion? If they wanted to troll, there are better ways to do it guys. Don't be led astray by wishful thinking.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Am I reading correctly that some people still think Geno could be in Smash Ultimate? I don't want you guys to set yourselves up for more disappointment. I hope you're all in a place where you understand Geno joining Smash was always, at a minimum, unlikely, and it not happening is something you accept.

Wishing for Geno at this point is sort of like wishing for world peace. It’s not going to happen and no one who has the power to make it happen is working on it, but it’s OK to want good things. And if that’s what you’re doing, that’s fine!

Wishing for Geno prior to the costume drop was more the logical extension of wishing for a game console at Christmas. We didn’t fully understand what’s involved in making the wish come true, but it could definitely happen and became more likely to happen the more we made our wishes known. That’s just not the case now. There’s no reasonable possibility of seeing Geno in Smash.

Before you let anyone tell you that Geno’s costume isn’t a deconfirm, ask yourself: why Nintendo wouldn’t do any of the following instead?
  • Have Geno’s costume return at the end of Geno’s own character reveal
  • Have Geno’s costume return at the end of Sephiroth’s spotlight, and then have the real Geno KO the costume as the presentation’s “one more thing” moment announcing that Geno is in development.
  • Have Geno’s costume return at the beginning of the next mystery character reveal, only for it to be immediately replaced by the real Geno
Do you really believe Nintendo would go out of their way to disappoint the very people who would get excited about Geno’s inclusion? If they wanted to troll, there are better ways to do it guys. Don't be led astray by wishful thinking.
We only believe Geno doesn't have a chance because of some dumb fan rule that says "No DLC Mii costumes can't get promoted". What we say doesn't matter as Sakurai is the one that decides the rules aside from Nintendo. And if a character can become a Mii, than I don't see it being impossible for them to become playable in the same game.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Personally I don't see the fun in a compilation like that, but you do you. I still have my reaction recorded so if you'd like to make that compilation, I could upload my reaction to that for you.
It's not fun, although finding people who love Geno and are upset at this reveal is cathartic in the sense that I am physically viewing people I've never met be upset over the costume of the character I also wanted to be playable being revealed.

As I said, it's more about a compilation of proof that Geno was a big deal, and I will likely be attempting to make sure this gets in contact with Nintendo some how, just as some sort of final attempt to make them understand what their consumers really want.

Likely won't do any good, but the attempt is there and I believe it to be noble.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
We only believe Geno doesn't have a chance because of some dumb fan rule that says "No DLC Mii costumes can't get promoted". What we say doesn't matter as Sakurai is the one that decides the rules aside from Nintendo. And if a character can become a Mii, than I don't see it being impossible for them to become playable in the same game.
I see Mii costumes as half measures. It might be narcissism on my part or blind optimism, but I see Mii costumes as a half step. They could not get to the character to make him a full fledged fighter for a multitude of reasons, being priority, being rights, whatever. But something stopped them from making the character a full fighter. (even dev time for example.) So they made the character a mii costume instead. Like spirits, mii's are a way of experiencing characters from different franchises.

Like Goemon for example. I want him to be a real fighter. I want him to have spirits, the entire nine yards. But I will not lie when saying I get some satisfaction playing Mii Sword Fighter dressed as him. With the ninja star move and the spinning bash, I was able to let my mind go and enjoy Goemon as a fighter.

Hopefully Mii costumes get their chance one day. But I understand why they did them.

This comes full circle. I personally think that mii costumes de-confirm characters. I cannot see them putting in the effort of making the mii costume just to drop the character later. If Goemon or Geno are to appear, it would be a sudden improvised 3rd round. but we also have to say that they are Mii costumes. Already represented. So they might skip them for that reason also.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Y'all I hate to say it but Geno does not have any chance to be playable in Ultimate. He is a DLC costume that you have to pay extra for to get--they aren't going to release a full fighter afterwards and make people essentially pay twice for the same character. And I know some people think he has a shot as a free bonus character after the pass, but there is no way they're releasing a free character, and even if they do, it's definitely not going to be a square enix character. I wish I were wrong but we all know it's the truth.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I see Mii costumes as half measures. It might be narcissism on my part or blind optimism, but I see Mii costumes as a half step. They could not get to the character to make him a full fledged fighter for a multitude of reasons, being priority, being rights, whatever. But something stopped them from making the character a full fighter. (even dev time for example.) So they made the character a mii costume instead. Like spirits, mii's are a way of experiencing characters from different franchises.

Like Goemon for example. I want him to be a real fighter. I want him to have spirits, the entire nine yards. But I will not lie when saying I get some satisfaction playing Mii Sword Fighter dressed as him. With the ninja star move and the spinning bash, I was able to let my mind go and enjoy Goemon as a fighter.

Hopefully Mii costumes get their chance one day. But I understand why they did them.

This comes full circle. I personally think that mii costumes de-confirm characters. I cannot see them putting in the effort of making the mii costume just to drop the character later. If Goemon or Geno are to appear, it would be a sudden improvised 3rd round. but we also have to say that they are Mii costumes. Already represented. So they might skip them for that reason also.
Possibly. But Geno's Mii costume was in Smash 4 so even with his costume coming back first, I think Geno could still happen.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Plus, suggesting that costumes don't deconfirm can't be exclusive to Geno.

As I have mentioned before, if Geno's costume doesn't deconfirm him, than we need to open up the can of worms that is Travis's doesn't either, or that Bomberman can happen, or that Gil and Heihachi are still on the table. We can't give Geno exclusive love in this regard, and it really blows open the doors so wide just about anything can get in. This would also include post-base spirits like Resident Evil, Astral Chain and Octopath Traveler since they are all just PNGs and not costumes that were made by the dev team.

I'm down to clown with this idea, and I mentioned it during the time when all we had was Min Min for Vol 2 that I really think we shouldn't lock them out because we have no idea what is in store for the future and what fan uproar can cause. But you can't do it any other way, so if you aren't ready for what that stance entails, I wouldn't go there.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I wanted to wait until things had calmed down before making a post, so here I am making a post.
Yeah it uh, definitely happened yesterday. Geno’s Smash 4 Mii costume came back with some minor updates and tweaks, but nothing else. No fully modeled head, no music tracks, nothing.

I dunno about you guys, but that hasn’t deterred me one bit. Call it wishful thinking, foolish optimism, yadda yadda whatever, I’m still gonna hold out hope. Smash speculation is woefully boring to me when it’s not about Geno, so if I’m gonna talk about it I might as well have fun with it.

Is there a possibility Geno was deconfirmed yesterday? Yeah definitely, and I’m not ignoring that possibility, however I am hoping for the opposite just because it’s fun, and it gives me an excuse to interact with the community anyways.

As far as I’m concerned, yesterday was merely a bump in the road for us on Sakurai’s never ending ride, and I’m not getting off anytime soon.
8CC88229-B03B-4264-A7D0-1074537C581A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom