• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
Sorry guys, quite a bummer. A good run with lots of ups and downs.

I'mma have to take the costume as a deconfirm, much like with Heihachi and Travis etc. I don't think Geno will be any kind of exception. Until proven otherwise or a miracle happens, I'll consider Geno out of the running and the Mii costume will have to do for the time being. Which in itself is still quite a feat as it was in Smash 4.

Keep on dreaming!

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Mainly I'm just looking out for the younger fans here because, for them, this was my Brawl. When Geno was deconfirmed in Brawl, I was mad for a long time and I lashed out at a lot of people. It was especially hard back then because it was "over-over" and Sakurai even made it a point to say the Wii was too weak to handle DLC. I kind of had to process my emotions myself because Brawl was kind of the first game where character speculation was really a thing. Like I said, there's still a year left but this is a big deal if you've never gone through this as a Smash fan.
I'm pretty young and it's a shame for all of us, for sure, but I'm honestly not hugely bothered. Sephiroth is sick (already got him into Elite Smash), definitely a worthy addition, and Geno is still in Smash in some form. Even if he's not a full character (hopefully yet but I think we're done here) I'm at least glad he has some substantial representation- he wasn't forgotten.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I truly don't get it. Our best-case scenario is... to have a character fully playable in a video game. That's literally it. It hurts no one, other than takes up a spot that may have gone to their character... but any character that isn't the one they want will do that. And for this, we deserve harassment and threats? Makes no sense to me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have we now given up on Geno getting into the game or are we still holding out hope?
I think we're letting people take their time and decide for themselves. Like if this is too much of an uphill battle and discouraging, people don't have to expect Geno but they're still welcome to come here and be a part of the discussions.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
For everyone acting as though this is the end of the world, I would like to remind you all that Isaac was disconfirmed 2 years ago, and yet his fanbase is still relatively active even today. And much like the Isaac fanbase, there's still more to look forward to, whether that be SMRPG on NSO, a rumored remake of SMRPG, or even the next Smash game.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Sakurai didn't mention a word about Geno when he was the only Mii costume to get a splash screen last game should be enough to raise an eyebrow. If he was a deluxe Mii costume, which would signify the developers put more work into him than just porting him over, then I would say it's over. But it looks like we're still in this.
I dunno... Not like I wanna be the party pooper, but I think we're grasping at the strawest of straws. Geno is a Mii costume, we should accept that and support that decision instead of falling into denial territory. I have to say, Sakurai's complete non-chalant way of showing Geno was pretty brutal (not even an acknowledgement when he was clearly excited to have the FFVII trio), but the fact that it was literally the first thing he showed (when it's usually one of the last things they showcase) was clearly a way of saying "I know people want Geno, it's not gonna happen, don't watch the 30min stream waiting for an answer, here it is".

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The worst part about Geno being deconfirmed is not that we most likely won't get playable Geno. The worst part is dealing with this stuck-up and despiteful community. I posted about how upset I was over Geno being a Mii Outfit in a Smash Facebook group and everyone was laughing at me and telling me no one cares and to keep crying, and people telling me to wait until Smash 6 for his outfit to come back again. It is absolutely disgusting to get joy out of other people's disappointment and it honestly makes me want to burst in to tears. Usually I'm not a sensitive person but this s*** gets to me. It feels like a bunch of school bullies are harassing me all at once, and oh boy I am no stranger to getting bullied. I know a bully when I see one and bullies take up a large portion of the community, especially bullies who target us Geno supporters.

I just wanted Geno more then ever rn because I just wanted redemption after the countless harassment in the past and it sucks I'm gonna have to deal with this for the next few years. I'm honestly not sure how I'll put up with it.
Although its hard, and this sounds clichéd, but its best to just ignore them.

Ridley fans were despised back in 4 and the haters formed their own group against him and his fans because they were annoyed at the requests for him to be added. But soon they were talking about Ridley more than fans, such as bringing him up in topics that not only weren't Ridley related, but not even character related. Then support started to swing towards Ridley as neutral people saw that he wasn't as horrible as the haters kept claiming and people got sick of haters whining and obsession ( you know, the same thing the haters complained about with his supporters).

And that will happen with Geno. The haters will make themselves look foolish (hoping for fans to die is a big starting leap to that goal) and soon people will turn against them. And if haters are still talking about him years later, then that's on them wasting time on a character they keep claiming to not care about.

You want to support Geno? Keep supporting him. Don't let people control who you like. That's the only way detractors win.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm just passing by to say that I feel sorry for Geno fans. While I'm not really a Geno supporter, I'm a huge fan of Mario rpg. It's truly a great game that deserve more love. Geno could have a super fun moveset. Nobody deserved to be threated badly for liking a video game character. And I know it's suck to have your most wanted killed (I'm a Rhyrhm heaven for smash supporter). Hopefully they will at least put mario rpg on Switch online at some point and see that there's enough support for a remake or something.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Mainly I'm just looking out for the younger fans here because, for them, this was my Brawl. When Geno was deconfirmed in Brawl, I was mad for a long time and I lashed out at a lot of people. It was especially hard back then because it was "over-over" and Sakurai even made it a point to say the Wii was too weak to handle DLC. I kind of had to process my emotions myself because Brawl was kind of the first game where character speculation was really a thing. Like I said, there's still a year left but this is a big deal if you've never gone through this as a Smash fan.
I wanted Geno for only two years so yeah this is my first time experiencing this loss, I thought to myself I could handle it but NGL this still stings

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
Guys, I realize this doesn't look great for us, but it's not over yet. Take a look at this:

Yeah, it was looking good when Geno was one of the very few Mii costumes that didn't return. But the Inkling, Chrom, Isabelle, and King K. Rool costumes all came back in the base game, and despite this, they actually became full fledged characters. Looking at that above image and the rate we've been getting returning costumes, it seems pretty clear that every single costume will be returning at some point. Why exactly? I don't know. Sakurai might be a completionist, or it might just be easier to port things over from Smash 4 rather than making completely new costumes. But regardless, this doesn't confirm anything. The fact that Sakurai didn't mention a word about Geno when he was the only Mii costume to get a splash screen last game should be enough to raise an eyebrow. If he was a deluxe Mii costume, which would signify the developers put more work into him than just porting him over, then I would say it's over. But it looks like we're still in this.
My friend as a fan of a character who last game also ended up getting deconfirmed despite the fanbases hopes and insistence that he might actually be playable despite the massive hint we got before hand that he isn’t (Ridley)...... just take the hint and accept that he isn’t coming. You can still want him and you can still hope for him if a sequel or third fighter’s pass. But right now holding on hope that he still has a chance with what we know is foolish and leads to the things that has people mocking the Geno fanbase.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
The worst part about Geno being deconfirmed is not that we most likely won't get playable Geno. The worst part is dealing with this stuck-up and despiteful community. I posted about how upset I was over Geno being a Mii Outfit in a Smash Facebook group and everyone was laughing at me and telling me no one cares and to keep crying, and people telling me to wait until Smash 6 for his outfit to come back again. It is absolutely disgusting to get joy out of other people's disappointment and it honestly makes me want to burst in to tears. Usually I'm not a sensitive person but this s*** gets to me. It feels like a bunch of school bullies are harassing me all at once, and oh boy I am no stranger to getting bullied. I know a bully when I see one and bullies take up a large portion of the community, especially bullies who target us Geno supporters.

I just wanted Geno more then ever rn because I just wanted redemption after the countless harassment in the past and it sucks I'm gonna have to deal with this for the next few years. I'm honestly not sure how I'll put up with it.
Although its hard, and this sounds clichéd, but its best to just ignore them.

Ridley fans were despised back in 4 and the haters formed their own group against him and his fans because they were annoyed at the requests for him to be added. But soon they were talking about Ridley more than fans, such as bringing him up in topics that not only weren't Ridley related, but not even character related. Then support started to swing towards Ridley as neutral people saw that he wasn't as horrible as the haters kept claiming and people got sick of haters whining and obsession ( you know, the same thing the haters complained about with his supporters).

And that will happen with Geno. The haters will make themselves look foolish (hoping for fans to die is a big starting leap to that goal) and soon people will turn against them. And if haters are still talking about him years later, then that's on them wasting time on a character they keep claiming to not care about.

You want to support Geno? Keep supporting him. Don't let people control who you like. That's the only way detractors win.
Recently I’ve been following MK11 DLC, and this exact same thing has happened there primarily for the ninjas and Mileena. Granted the Mileena fans got very aggressive at times but people actually wished death on her fans and even a fan’s kid. The ninjas are getting bashed pretty hard as well. And what do you know, Mileena and Rain were in the last pack.
Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I come from the Shantae Server, but as a person of mourning. I'm sorry you lads and gents didn't get your time. Didn't even realize the presentation happened until I saw it somewhere else. Regardless, we're going to get through this together, since we're as thick as thieves. As people who love Smash to death, as people who love to see what Sakurai does next, as people who play the game

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I think what bothers me the most is that they used Forest Maze in the trailer but it’s not with the costume. Heck I’d pay an extra 75 cents if I had to. Maybe if we get another pass for a hypothetical smash ballot 2 we could get him but I think this is it. It was fun while it lasted though. Guess I’ll start playing mii gunner.
Forest Maze was also with the costume in Smash 4's showcase and not in the game, so it's not that surprising when it's a generic port of the Smash 4 costume.

Regardless, I would have thought for sure the Geno costume would include a face mask to put over the ugly Mii face. Sakurai really just does not seem to care at all about this character at the end of the day.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
I dunno... Not like I wanna be the party pooper, but I think we're grasping at the strawest of straws. Geno is a Mii costume, we should accept that and support that decision instead of falling into denial territory. I have to say, Sakurai's complete non-chalant way of showing Geno was pretty brutal (not even an acknowledgement when he was clearly excited to have the FFVII trio), but the fact that it was literally the first thing he showed (when it's usually one of the last things they showcase) was clearly a way of saying "I know people want Geno, it's not gonna happen, don't watch the 30min stream waiting for an answer, here it is".
Sakurai showed the Mii costumes first because he wanted to include the FF costumes in Sephiroth's demonstration. I don't think it had anything to do with letting Geno fans down gently.

I can understand why people think the Mii costume deconfirms Geno. The truth is, we have no idea who the next characters are going to be. All we can do is guess based off of rules we create and patterns we observe. Geno's Mii costume returning isn't an explicit deconfirmation of him, and since there's precedent of Mii costumes still getting playable characters, I'm choosing to believe Geno can still happen.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I just want to say, thank you to all the non regulars coming in here to pay your respects and sympathy. At a time when detractors are laughing at Geno fans, beating down on everyone now that they're thoughts have been "validated", you guys are the bright spot of the Smash community.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
For everyone acting as though this is the end of the world, I would like to remind you all that Isaac was disconfirmed 2 years ago, and yet his fanbase is still relatively active even today. And much like the Isaac fanbase, there's still more to look forward to, whether that be SMRPG on NSO, a rumored remake of SMRPG, or even the next Smash game.
Gah my heart hurt for the Isaac bros that day.
Give me three video game wishes, and they're for follow-ups and a remaster to SMRPG, follow-ups and remasters of Golden Sun, and both Geno and Isaac in Smash :/

Also shoutout to the Isaac bros! Good group I lurk in from time to time.

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
In regards to the "hate", it's the usual mockery of Geno supporters and nothing else new. He's one of the oldest and most wanted characters to get confirmed with the most vocal (and often times annoying) people speaking up for him for better or worse. Ignore it, give it a month and things will go back to normal with your sanity in tact. You'll thank me later.

Or come and watch the flames by this garbage fire.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In regards to the "hate", it's the usual mockery of Geno supporters and nothing else new. He's one of the oldest and most wanted characters to get confirmed with the most vocal (and often times annoying) people speaking up for him for better or worse. Ignore it, give it a month and things will go back to normal with your sanity in tact. You'll thank me later.

Or come and watch the flames by this garbage fire.
Pretty much this. Give it two days and the numbers in the thread will be back to what they typically are. Obviously, we don't just talk about Geno in here and, per usual, discussion will go towards other characters and games like it always does.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm gonna say something, honestly. But first I'd just like to start with: while I'm not sure if anyone even is thinking about that sort of thing, if you are thinking about hurting or killing yourself over this, then please don't. There are numbers you can call and places you can reach out to for help. I don't want to lose any more human life this year, and nobody else should want that either. And to anyone who's even jokingly telling people to kill themselves because they supported a character that didn't make it in, shame on you. That's not how a human being should act.

With that out of the way - the whole 'It's just a video game' thing has some ground to stand on, but it's not as bulletproof as some might think. The fact of the matter is that people play video games for a wide variety of reasons, and what might just be a hobby you engage in from time to time for you might mean something entirely different to someone else. Let me explain.

I like the Megaman Zero series. Yes, because it's a cool hack-n-slash platformer is a part of it, but there's another reason to it: the game structure where you accept missions offered by Ciel makes me feel like I have worth. I deal with depression and gender dysphoria on a somewhat regular basis. It's not something that's constantly on my back all the time, and I do go through long periods of being more than okay and happy, etc. But the fact remains that sometimes I'm not okay, and rather than sink into that depression and hurt myself emotionally/mentally even more, I choose to find outlets that let me safely and healthily express myself and my emotions in a way that works for me. Obviously, this isn't the case for everyone, nor is it always the case for why I play every game, but for me: video games are a way to balance myself and put my emotions towards something positive in a safe environment.

Back to Megaman Zero. As I said, I play it because, even if it's ultimately just a video game with fictional characters, when Ciel asks me (Zero) to do something that in the context of the game world only I (Zero) can do, I feel as if I have someone who's counting on me. And not only that, when I accomplish that something that only I (Zero) can do I feel like I've done well and helped out/protected someone who came to me in their time of need. In this way, playing video games helps me find ways to improve my mental health that I will then apply to the other aspects of my life.

Yes, at the end of the day, it's just a character that didn't get into a video game. But at the same time, it might mean much more than you think to someone, especially as it's a 'loss' at the end of a horrible year where many people have lost their jobs, homes, even the lives of friends, family, partners. To them, it might represent the one good thing left they were looking forward to in 2020 being taken away from them. And while I'd like to say once again, that there are places for you to reach out to if you're struggling about this - or anything at all - you are also completely valid at least in the regard that this might have been a very bad outcome for you and your emotional health, even if it was 'just a video game'.

We're adults. Most of us, anyway. And a part of that is having the maturity to acknowledge that people can feel very strongly about the media they consume - it can be a major part of keeping someone 'okay' after a bad day/month/year, and while I should say that I don't think anyone should base all of their mental health on whether or not a character makes it into Smash Bros., it isn't childish or immature to be genuinely hurt over a video game. It's not all of your life, but it can be more important to some people than you might've realized. People cope in different manners, and if they choose video games instead of something more dangerous, then that's a good thing.

Everyone: stay safe, find ways to keep yourself going until things get better. I'm doing alright myself, and I'd like everyone else to be as well.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Regardless, I would have thought for sure the Geno costume would include a face mask to put over the ugly Mii face. Sakurai really just does not seem to care at all about this character at the end of the day.
I do find it pretty strange that Geno didn't get the "premium" mii costume treatment. (along with a song) From what I remember of Sakurai talking about Geno in interviews he seemed quite fond of him.

I feel like Sakurais hands might be tied up somewhat in regards to Geno.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
People are confused and even angry about my stance but I've already explained it many times before: had to wait until the very end of Brawl and Smash 4 for Geno to be totally deconfirmed and there's still another year left. Ultimate has jumped the shark in a lot of ways already and if a standard Mii costume is the only obstacle, I'll take my chances. Waited this long, what's another year?
Don't wanna be a prick, but man, Mii costume is basically "here, don't cry your fav isn't in the game" There's no point in hoping when they make you BUY an outfit from the previous game, no music, no helmet

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna say something, honestly. But first I'd just like to start with: while I'm not sure if anyone even is thinking about that sort of thing, if you are thinking about hurting or killing yourself over this, then please don't. There are numbers you can call and places you can reach out to for help. I don't want to lose any more human life this year, and nobody else should want that either. And to anyone who's even jokingly telling people to kill themselves because they supported a character that didn't make it in, shame on you. That's not how a human being should act.

With that out of the way - the whole 'It's just a video game' thing has some ground to stand on, but it's not as bulletproof as some might think. The fact of the matter is that people play video games for a wide variety of reasons, and what might just be a hobby you engage in from time to time for you might mean something entirely different to someone else. Let me explain.

I like the Megaman Zero series. Yes, because it's a cool hack-n-slash platformer is a part of it, but there's another reason to it: the game structure where you accept missions offered by Ciel makes me feel like I have worth. I deal with depression and gender dysphoria on a somewhat regular basis. It's not something that's constantly on my back all the time, and I do go through long periods of being more than okay and happy, etc. But the fact remains that sometimes I'm not okay, and rather than sink into that depression and hurt myself emotionally/mentally even more, I choose to find outlets that let me safely and healthily express myself and my emotions in a way that works for me. Obviously, this isn't the case for everyone, nor is it always the case for why I play every game, but for me: video games are a way to balance myself and put my emotions towards something positive in a safe environment.

Back to Megaman Zero. As I said, I play it because, even if it's ultimately just a video game with fictional characters, when Ciel asks me (Zero) to do something that in the context of the game world only I (Zero) can do, I feel as if I have someone who's counting on me. And not only that, when I accomplish that something that only I (Zero) can do I feel like I've done well and helped out/protected someone who came to me in their time of need. In this way, playing video games helps me find ways to improve my mental health that I will then apply to the other aspects of my life.

Yes, at the end of the day, it's just a character that didn't get into a video game. But at the same time, it might mean much more than you think to someone, especially as it's a 'loss' at the end of a horrible year where many people have lost their jobs, homes, even the lives of friends, family, partners. To them, it might represent the one good thing left they were looking forward to in 2020 being taken away from them. And while I'd like to say once again, that there are places for you to reach out to if you're struggling about this - or anything at all - you are also completely valid at least in the regard that this might have been a very bad outcome for you and your emotional health, even if it was 'just a video game'.

We're adults. Most of us, anyway. And a part of that is having the maturity to acknowledge that people can feel very strongly about the media they consume - it can be a major part of keeping someone 'okay' after a bad day/month/year, and while I should say that I don't think anyone should base all of their mental health on whether or not a character makes it into Smash Bros., it isn't childish or immature to be genuinely hurt over a video game. It's not all of your life, but it can be more important to some people than you might've realized. People cope in different manners, and if they choose video games instead of something more dangerous, then that's a good thing.

Everyone: stay safe, find ways to keep yourself going until things get better. I'm doing alright myself, and I'd like everyone else to be as well.
Have you played Celeste ?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I know they keep track of what characters are played online the most. So maybe just start playing Mii Gunner frequently and they’ll take notice? So that way there’s a chance the next time they start adding characters again they can add Geno.

NukeLaBelle

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nukenai
To them, it might represent the one good thing left they were looking forward to in 2020 being taken away from them.
This is where I am right now. After a year of almost comical amounts of horror for me, completely unrelated to COVID, this is exactly what it was for me. So... yeah. Very rough, trying not to get into it so I don't give idiot trolls ammo cause I've literally got one in my personal circle which is ultra yikes.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I do find it pretty strange that Geno didn't get the "premium" mii costume treatment. (along with a song) From what I remember of Sakurai talking about Geno in interviews he seemed quite fond of him.

I feel like Sakurais hands might be tied up somewhat in regards to Geno.
This whole pass feels like corporate picks tbh. Not to say they’re bad, but barring MinMin the appeal has been as broad as possible. At this point I’m guessing the rest of the pass will other mass appeal charcters like Crash and Dovakhin. I have a bit of hope for Lloyd but Tales is still pretty huge in Japan.

Pass 1 seemed much more like Sakurai’s picks, barring the obligatory Byleth. Maybe he struck a deal with Nintendo?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
We had to wait until the end of those games because Geno got literally nothing in Brawl and only got the costume at the end of Smash 4. This feels like a completely different situation. Why are you making Geno the exception here? If Heihachi's Costume and the Resident Evil spirits are death pins against those franchises, why is it not for Geno?
Fatman has some sweet leaked gameplay of Geno wearing the Mallow hat fighting Cacademon.
:p
Wait if they got the rights to use the song in the trailer, why not in the game too?
I have no idea and don’t understand why myself. Wish they gave us the music at least.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Haven't watched the presentation yet. Instead I got the news from pinshadow pinshadow (thank you for giving it to me straight, I really do appreciate it).

I'd be lying if I said that Geno being Mii Costume'd, especially this late into Smash Ultimate's DLC cycle, wasn't demoralizing. It really feels like either Nintendo and/or Square Enix heard our requests and decided to just plug their ears and go "Not listening! La la la la la!", or that Sakurai for whatever reason did a 180 from his statement all the way back from Smash 4's DLC cycle and is now giving Geno fans the cold shoulder... it's probably not like that, but it certainly feels like it, and no amount of "fan demand never mattered" or "Geno was just out-prioritized" statements is gonna change that feeling.

I've also come to realize something, something that I should've realized when Byleth was included, but is now perfectly clear to me in light of Geno's Mii Costume: letting Nintendo choose the DLC characters was a big mistake, possibly the biggest one made with Smash Ultimate. When Sakurai was in charge of the characters for the base roster, there were a couple duds (:ultincineroar::ultpiranha:) but for the most part it was heavy-hitting fan favorite after fan favorite to please as many fans as possible (:ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle:). Now that Nintendo's in charge though? That's not happening, or at least I don't think it's Nintendo's intention. They evidently don't care about pleasing fans, so much as they care about getting "big name" popular characters that will draw in outsiders and get them hooked to Smash, even if doing so is to the detriment of Smash's hardcore fans and their long-standing requests. The one time they picked a character who was explicitly aimed at hardcore fans (:ultbanjokazooie:) was apparently a total fluke, and the other characters who weren't fan favorites but were still positively received by Smash fans as a whole (:ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry::ultminmin:ultsteve:) was just them getting lucky. The rest (:ultbyleth::ultsephiroth:) were examples of this backfiring and exposing the flaws in selecting DLC like this, since it resulted in the shafting of fan favorite picks like Dante and Geno. People were seriously considering Jonesy from Fortnite to be a possible outcome at the Game Awards, and in light Sephiroth and his Mii Costume wave, that's not surprising to me in the least.

If I had to compare this to anything, the one thing that comes to my mind is Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, and how that game's roster (or at least its Marvel characters) was picked not because the characters would make fans happy (if that were the case, the X-Men would still be there) but because the chosen characters were getting popular through the Marvel movies and they though they could get the movie fans hooked to the Marvel vs. Capcom series. Yeah, Sephiroth is an iconic video game character and one of the most recognizable villains in video games, just like how Thanos is an iconic comic book character and one of the most recognizable villains in comics... but I doubt either character was chosen just because fans wanted them in the game that badly to the point of making it in over long-standing requests and fan favorites like Geno and Asura (at least Thanos has the excuse of being in previous MVC games, thus making him a veteran).

If anyone wants to hold out hope for Geno making it into Ultimate (not the next Smash game that likely won't be out for like five to seven years, but Ultimate specifically), the best bet is to hope for two things...
  1. Smash Ultimate ends up getting a third Fighters Pass...
  2. ... and that Geno or another Mii Costume'd character like Rex or Heihachi gets in, proving that Mii Fighter costumes aren't hard deconfirmations.
If both of those requirements are met before the end of Fighters Pass 2, then Geno might still be on the table. Until then... this looks like the end of the road. Congratulations, Nintendo. You sure pleased the fans with that Mii Costume. Hope you're proud of yourselves.

Now I know exactly how Mega Man X fans felt when they saw this costume back in 2011...
Zero_DLC_69667_640screen.png

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait if they got the rights to use the song in the trailer, why not in the game too?
I think I've mentioned this before here, but since there are a lot of people here now I think it's worth repeating lol. If for no other reason than as a neat fun fact.

In truth, the two cases require two entirely separate licenses, hence why it's not as simple as using a trailer song in-game. If a song appears in a showcase, it's being licensed for advertising purposes. In this case, you're using the song to sell the Geno Mii Costume.

However, to use it in the game they'd need to pay for a distribution license, where the song itself is what's being sold. It's a separate license for that reason: licensing the music to sell a separate product, vs licensing the music to sell the music itself.

This is also why certain stages can't be used in competitive play if the tournament is being streamed. They'd need another entirely separate license, this time for performance of the music.

Basically music licensing is complicated.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm sorry it had to come to this for you guys. My advice is to continue making Operation Starfall bigger and better, Smash isn't the be all end all and you can still pine for Geno to return to a Mario game in any capacity. I've noticed in general Nintendo typically doesn't use characters originating in Mario RPGs outside of their own games that much so I hope that changes in the future.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
Haven't watched the presentation yet. Instead I got the news from pinshadow pinshadow (thank you for giving it to me straight, I really do appreciate it).

I'd be lying if I said that Geno being Mii Costume'd, especially this late into Smash Ultimate's DLC cycle, wasn't demoralizing. It really feels like either Nintendo and/or Square Enix heard our requests and decided to just plug their ears and go "Not listening! La la la la la!", or that Sakurai for whatever reason did a 180 from his statement all the way back from Smash 4's DLC cycle and is now giving Geno fans the cold shoulder... it's probably not like that, but it certainly feels like it, and no amount of "fan demand never mattered" or "Geno was just out-prioritized" statements is gonna change that feeling.

I've also come to realize something, something that I should've realized when Byleth was included, but is now perfectly clear to me in light of Geno's Mii Costume: letting Nintendo choose the DLC characters was a big mistake, possibly the biggest one made with Smash Ultimate. When Sakurai was in charge of the characters for the base roster, there were a couple duds (:ultincineroar::ultpiranha:) but for the most part it was heavy-hitting fan favorite after fan favorite to please as many fans as possible (:ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle:). Now that Nintendo's in charge though? That's not happening, or at least I don't think it's Nintendo's intention. They evidently don't care about pleasing fans, so much as they care about getting "big name" popular characters that will draw in outsiders and get them hooked to Smash, even if doing so is to the detriment of Smash's hardcore fans and their long-standing requests. The one time they picked a character who was explicitly aimed at hardcore fans (:ultbanjokazooie:) was apparently a total fluke, and the other characters who weren't fan favorites but were still positively received by Smash fans as a whole (:ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry::ultminmin:ultsteve:) was just them getting lucky. The rest (:ultbyleth::ultsephiroth:) were examples of this backfiring and exposing the flaws in selecting DLC like this, since it resulted in the shafting of fan favorite picks like Dante and Geno.

If I had to compare this to anything, the one thing that comes to my mind is Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, and how that game's roster (or at least its Marvel characters) was picked not because the characters would make fans happy (if that were the case, the X-Men would still be there) but because the chosen characters were getting popular through the Marvel movies. Yeah, Sephiroth is an iconic video game character and one of the most recognizable villains in video games, just like how Thanos is an iconic comic book character and one of the most recognizable villains in comics... but I doubt either character was chosen just because fans wanted them in the game that badly to the point of making it in over long-standing requests and fan favorites like Geno and Asura (at least Thanos has the excuse of being in previous MVC games, thus making him a veteran).

If anyone wants to hold out hope for Geno making it into Ultimate (not the next Smash game that likely won't be out for like five to seven years, but Ultimate specifically), the best bet is to hope for two things...
  1. Smash Ultimate ends up getting a third Fighters Pass...
  2. ... and that Geno or another Mii Costume'd character like Rex or Heihachi gets in, proving that Mii Fighter costumes aren't hard deconfirmations.
If both of those requirements are met before the end of Fighters Pass 2, then Geno might still be on the table. Until then... this looks like the end of the road. Congratulations, Nintendo. You sure pleased the fans with that Mii Costume. Hope you're proud of yourselves.

Now I know exactly how Mega Man X fans felt when they saw this costume back in 2011...
View attachment 296116
That costume is awesome, it made sense canonically, and we got X in infinite ALONG Sigma eventually, so all is well.

+ We got tatsunoko VS capcom, with , of all megaman characters VOLNUTT PLAYABLE

We also got GBA Zero in SVC Chaos, capcom loves their franchises more than the fans want to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom