• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
What baffles me is that 5 years have gone by, yet Geno has been relegated to the same spot once again. At least he's acknowledged in some form and they didn't wait longer to deconfirm him...

Not to mention that they had many opportunities to deconfirm him before... Ultimate was announced in March 2018, FP1 in November 2018 and FP2 in September 2019.

Even though Geno wasn't teased in any way, today kinda reminds me of Ridley's situation in the Sm4sh days. The April 2014 smash direct left us in limbo with a shadow... only for the 50-fact extravaganza to deconfirm him. It's not one-to-one, but there's a major similarity: a long-standing fan-request whose deconfirmation should've been handled differently.

I'm cool with everything about Sephiroth tho, it's not his fault... time for me to move to enjoying the theorycrafting on his viability.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Paying my respects.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

These are the least offensive "memes" I could find, I hope no one actually takes this as an insult (considering both scenes were genuinely mournful in their original context).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Sorry guys, that was rough.

I can only imagine that perhaps Square Enix might not have been on board with having Geno as one of their only representatives. (alongside Cloud)

I think Geno can get into Smash....but maybe Square would rather have more of their "commercial" characters appear in Smash before him. That's the only thing that really makes sense to me right now. It definitely wasn't a problem with fan demand.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Quit being so glum, in an hour or so Fatmanonice is going to post some insane theory as to how Geno's totally still coming and the Mii Costume is a joke or something, and everything will be okay again.
Husband!

It is I, Roger Smith.

Now I need you to know I love you husband, but you can't just do stuff like this. I know you have your reasons, but husband. I will make you sleep on the couch for this bad behavior.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also for the people who genuinely think Sora has a chance, that’s just delusional thinking.

If they cant get square to license out a character they aren’t using for pay let status, there is no way in hell they will be able to pay what Disney wants for Sora, one of the most relevant gaming character of all time.

I say this as a huge Sora fan too. I wish it wasn’t wishful thinking but it’s just the truth, he isn’t happening.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Important question: if someone makes a Geno mod, is getting it something that'd brick my Switch or something like that?

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
one thing's for certain: the Geno/SMRPG community's dedication is out of this world. The fact that some of you have been sticking around since before I was even born is telling... no matter when you joined the Geno support train, you can pat yourself on the back. No matter how many time fate fancied kicking your butt, you didn't flinch.

Here's something your community's dedication and passion accomplished: it sold me on Geno and SMRPG.

My opinion on Geno used to be something along the lines of "I don't actively want him, but I want his fans to be happy." But ever since I started lurking on this thread from time to time last June, I genuinely want him in this game and I genuinely want SMRPG to come back into the limelight. So much so that he's now my third most wanted character not yet in Smash, behind Rayman and Dixie Kong.
I just wanted to reiterate that. Geno's deconfirmation definitely hasn't sent the community's hard work into the ether.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Honestly;

At this Point in time;

I'll just take Geno in any way I Can GET him; whether as a Spirit, as a Smash Tag, Or even as a Mii Costume!

Last edited:

protoblues

Smash Cadet
We just have to take the L here guys. Vent here and not elsewhere.

This does suck. We didn't get a deluxe costume - there wasn't even a deluxe costume to get. It's not like they decided someone else should get a deluxe, they just didn't bother.

We didn't get a mention. The Geno costume was just an over and done with deal, not a word said about it.

And yeah, knowing that so many people wanted Geno in the game, Nintendo definitely could have added the mii costume sooner to not screw with us. But they had to keep some characters looking viable so it wouldn't be obvious who they'd choose, and we got used for that. It sucks. We got shafted.

Personally, I'll be getting this DLC - but I won't be paying Nintendo a dime for it. You've got options out there if you look around...

:pirateship:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Right off the bat huh? There are better details but it's still the same costume. I feel bad for all of you. I guess Nintendo and/or Squenix really don't care enough to go all in with Geno as a fighter. A real shame.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Same premise as the others. Aaaaanywaaaaays, let's just take things one day at a time, shall we?
Hmm, idk man I really want to be hopeful but unless they do a third pass or a bonus character(s), then this is pretty much it I think. It'd be nice to think that yeah, they're just bringing back every costume regardless if they also decide to upgrade one as well, but that would be pretty scummy to charge for a costume first just to add him later, plus a huge troll move to seemingly de-confirm Geno just to add him a year or so later as playable.

At least there's some great mods of him that exist for Brawl. I really need to go back to Brawl modding and finish some packs that I had planned at some point. But I'm still really happy with what Ultimate gave us. Everyone is here, including Wolf who was in my top 10 along with K Rool, Ridley, Banjo, and Sephiroth. 5 out of my top 10 so far. Pretty cool. Maybe I'll even get Crash or Master Chief.

But anyway, it's been a fun ride guys.

Last edited:

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

For my part, half of me is sad to see that Geno has returned as a simple Mii Suit (not even a Premium one), but on the other hand, I have been impressed by what they have included with Sephiroth.
These are additions that I doubt we would have seen with Geno.

In conclusion, I am happy and sad at the same time.
Anyway, I am still hopeful to see my two most requested characters: Rayman and Crash Bandicoot.

Good luck to everyone, and thank you so much for everything!

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know, not sure if someone said this already in this swamp of posts, but his little talk about the music of FF, and how difficult it has been, may have been tied to more then just music. I feel anyone from square was a nightmare to get, Hero I am sure was hard, and just to get sephiroth may have been like pulling teeth. Geno probably was one of those impossible to get ones, same with sora or anyone else from SE. heck, they didn't even allow any other FF music other then 7. And only 7 mii fighters and I am sure spirits as well. Square doesnm't want nintendo to have anything else from them.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I'm so sorry everybody.
This was supposed to be your shining moment.
It is what it is.
But let it be known, that the Geno fanbase fought the longest, and fought their hardest.
Your time will come.
Thank you, each and every one of you, I mean it.
Until next time, good bye.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
After Square proved everyone wrong today with how stingy they can be, I refuse to believe that it is their fault that Geno isn’t in.

It has to be Nintendo.
It’s definitely Squares. They haven’t used Geno in years, hell they didn’t even let Nintendo keep the cameo he had in Mario and Luigi. They clearly don’t want anything to do with Geno and want to focus on their upcoming projects, hence why anytime a square games comes out it’s getting spirits or content in smash.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Same way Geno was during Hero's presentation.

Boy would be bummer if Sora was a mii costume later on and definitively deconfirmed too after all this preemptive gloating and toxicity. Would be so awful and bad. Definitely not something I'm hoping for now.
Yeeeeaaah, I’m going by your logic that we had a argument about and say it’s borderline not happening that we are getting another Square Enid character within the same pass

I going to agree with the thread and say unless there another fighterpass, it’s near impossible

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I still believe in ya. You DID say this was going to be the outcome, if I recall correctly, right? (mostly asking for a refresher)
I said if he was a costume that it would be a copy and paste from Smash 4 and not deluxe. Like I said a few days ago, interesting turn of events but I'll take it.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

I figured I'd share this. Like I said, I have no regrets. Thanks again for being a great community!
A step up, but still with the hideous face and ill-fitting hat. Those are the things I disliked about the original Mii costume. And they're why I feel very disappointed that Geno couldn't get the deluxe treatment. It was odd that there was no deluxe in Challenger Pack whatsoever, to be frank. It makes me feel like either Nintendo, Square, or both are unwilling to play ball on Geno. I was ready to meet halfway, hoping to get a nice Mii Gunner outfit now that those are a thing. It's honestly pretty baffling that they couldn't do that.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Square Enix, do the Geno fans a solid and sell the character to Nintendo.
This is actually more detrimental because of the Mario mandates. Geno is unironically better off in Square's hands than Nintendo's. Sometimes a legal limbo is better than not being in limbo, but being locked in a vault for all eternity.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
cacomallow has spoken one last time:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

our voices shall be heard, i don't care what it takes. we cannot let geno and the mario rpgs as we knew them to fall into obscurity.
Haha...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

OF COURSE, this silly little tweet of mine caught on fire and now everyone is misinterpreting it and laughing at the "butthurt" Geno fans. Obviously, I won't even bother responding to anything.

Lesson of the day: NEVER use Twitter, kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom