• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wait that was from Sabi? The Sabi who deleted their twitter account due to harassment stuff and lots of controversial stuff? That Sabi? the one who got emails from Nintendo twice to stop leaking? That Sabi? If it came from that Sabi, then I believe it.
Yep. Sabi is a weirdo, but you can't denie the dude had some deep connections within the industry before his reputation went to ****.

oh **** when did sabi come back to twitter...wait wait wait this is something I did not know happened.
I don't think Sabi came back to Twitter. What Fatman was talking about happened in 2018.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I doubt that Sephiroth was a "forced" addition in order to get Cloud in, it just sounds stupid. It's the equivalent of going to Nintendo and asking to put in someone like freaking Ness in a crossover, and then Nintendo "forcing" you to add Mario too. Like, you just got Mr. Video Games handed to you on a platter, I doubt you'd consider that a punishment.

Same with Sephiroth, who is still a huge deal and bigger than 99% of Square's characters. And judging from how literally everything in Sephiroth's trailer is a reference to Advent Children and how most people are considering this to be the best Smash reveal (in terms of production value) yet; I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo felt that they were "forced" to add him.

I don't want to dig up the post, but Imran Khan speculated that Sephiroth is the replacement for Sora, as they couldn't work out a deal with Disney. And that makes much more sense then Sephiroth being a "forced" addition.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Like I said earlier, I doubt a "deluxe costume." All the deluxe costumes were technically heard in advance and Megalovania actually leaked before Sans. I feel like Geno was being converted into a "deluxe costume", somebody would have heard this at some point. Actually, come to think of it... Give me a sec...

"Square Enix" is 2B, "Indie costume" is Cadence of Hyrule, "Microsoft costume" is Johanna Dark and "Secret But Fun costume" is one I don't want to spoil but they did have a new game revealed over the summer.
We'll only need to wait until Thursday to know if it's true, and of the existence of the cloth child costume.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait, why’s this thread gone from holding hope that Geno avoids the mii costume and makes it in to believing negotiations fell through for him and that he’s gonna end up a mii costume and not make it in as playable all of a sudden.
Because people are misinterpreting the story I presented. According to that person:

-Sora, Sephiroth, and Geno were all seriously considered

-Sora very publicly fell through to the point that it supposedly caused a stink within Square Enix. I talked about this in a post in 2018 and I might try to dig it up.

-Geno was picked for further talks but they claimed they didn't know the end result.

-Their ASSUMPTION was that Sephiroth would only be picked if the talks for Geno fell through.

Basically they didn't entertain the possibility of both and simply assumed it would be one or the other. Either way, they claimed they didn't know the end result.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Like I said earlier, I doubt a "deluxe costume." All the deluxe costumes were technically heard in advance and Megalovania actually leaked before Sans. I feel like Geno was being converted into a "deluxe costume", somebody would have heard this at some point. Actually, come to think of it... Give me a sec...

(3 minutes later)

Okay, I dug up a post I made in March this year:

"Square Enix" is 2B, "Indie costume" is Cadence of Hyrule, "Microsoft costume" is Johanna Dark and "Secret But Fun costume" is one I don't want to spoil but they did have a new game revealed over the summer.

So what can you infer from this list and which costumes do you think would come together? Obviously some of those in that list have already been released as costumes or playable. Do you think any of the others will be playable instead of as a costume? There's 4 Namco characters on that list, does that imply to you that a Namco character is coming and will release with the other 3, or that one Namco costume will be coming with the remaining 4 packs? Also, there's what, 4 Indie costumes remaining on that list? They usually only release one Indie costume at a time right? There's some shooter characters, maybe a FPS rep will be playable? Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
oh **** when did sabi come back to twitter...wait wait wait this is something I did not know happened.
I take back what I said, he is not on twitter, which is good, he is a bad person, even if he had real sources within Nintendo.

Yep. Sabi is a weirdo, but you can't denie the dude had some deep connections within the industry before his reputation went to ****.

I don't think Sabi came back to Twitter. What Fatman was talking about happened in 2018.

Deny* sorry I had to

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Because people are misinterpreting the story I presented. According to that person:

-Sora very publicly fell through to the point that it supposedly caused a stink within Square Enix. I talked about this in a post in 2018 and I might try to dig it up.

-Geno was picked for further talks but they claimed they didn't know the end result.

-Their ASSUMPTION was that Sephiroth would only be picked if the talks for Geno fell through.

Basically they didn't entertain the possibility of both and simply assumed it would be one or the other. Either way, they claimed they didn't know the end result.
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice did you see my theory btw? How likely do you think its true. I do think that had some impact on people.

This actually makes a lot of sense....... It also lines up with my theory that a lot of the DLC had been in talks for a while. Byleth is rumored to have been originally part of base game, ARMs was known to have been considered for base game, Steve had been in negotiations for 5 years, Sephiroth was a failsafe if Geno did not make it, Piranha plant had been planned, probs was made a free dlc fighter cause he was a late decision. This also confirms Dragon Quest had been in talks for a while(and was the fastest one to get the greenlight to be added), and Vergeaben (who gets some things right, other things wrong) was adamant Dragon Quest was in.

Also, Slime was going to be a failsafe if DQ protags did not make it, so this seems likely to be true

Im wondering how long Joker, Banjo, Terry took...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So what can you infer from this list and which costumes do you think would come together? Obviously some of those in that list have already been released as costumes or playable. Do you think any of the others will be playable instead of as a costume? There's 4 Namco characters on that list, does that imply to you that a Namco character is coming and will release with the other 3, or that one Namco costume will be coming with the remaining 4 packs? Also, there's what, 4 Indie costumes remaining on that list? They usually only release one Indie costume at a time right? There's some shooter characters, maybe a FPS rep will be playable? Interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Like I said earlier, a big thing that has shaped my predictions since last year is that, coincidentally, only 6 companies have heard multiple things heard about them: Nintendo, Microsoft, Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and Activision. Notice how Steve and Sephiroth were heard by other people (not MCG) as Mii costumes but wound up being playable. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at least one more time.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

(3 minutes later)

Okay, I dug up a post I made in March this year:

Worth nothing megalovania was copy right struck at the same time Beware the Forests Mushrooms and Fight against an armed boss were

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

"had" is the right word. He doesn't have nintendo sources. I have the one he used to have to leak everything from nintendo. And he lost those connections way before being exposed in july, he lost NoA guy back in late 2019. Why else does anyone think sabi stopped leaking in general last year, aside from getting the NoA lawyers physically going to his place and also him getting a c&d, lol. It's irrelevant if he is back to social media, he doesn't have the same connections anymore, if any at all.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I doubt that Sephiroth was a "forced" addition in order to get Cloud in, it just sounds stupid. It's the equivalent of going to Nintendo and asking to put in someone like freaking Ness in a crossover, and then Nintendo "forcing" you to add Mario too. Like, you just got Mr. Video Games handed to you on a platter, I doubt you'd consider that a punishment.

Same with Sephiroth, who is still a huge deal and bigger than 99% of Square's characters. And judging from how literally everything in Sephiroth's trailer is a reference to Advent Children and how most people are considering this to be the best Smash reveal (in terms of production value) yet; I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo felt that they were "forced" to add him.

I don't want to dig up the post, but Imran Khan speculated that Sephiroth is the replacement for Sora, as they couldn't work out a deal with Disney. And that makes much more sense then Sephiroth being a "forced" addition.
I could seen this only because the first part of Sephiroth’s trailer screams kingdom hearts imo.

You have Elderick there, a sword and magic user much like Sora. The heroes are getting bodied, by galleem the world of light final boss. Sora is known for sealing the light and darkness.Sora easily could have been in the air and instead of slashing, beams Galeem away. Could be wrong but I could almost see that.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I could seen this only because the first part of Sephiroth’s trailer screams kingdom hearts imo.

You have Elderick there, a sword and magic user much like Sora. The heroes are getting bodied, by galleem the world of light final boss. Sora is known for sealing the light and darkness.Sora easily could have been in the air and instead of slashing, beams Galeem away. Could be wrong but I could almost see that.
The whole sephiroth trailer from beginning to end is an entire homage/tribute to Advent Children, it has nothing to do with Kingdom hearts. Just wanted to say that.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Sometimes I wish they’d touch up the mii gunner’s moves for Premium Outfits. Like for a potential premium Geno outfit, they could reckon the gunner missile into his arm. Or change the f-smash into Star Gun? Probably would take too much work though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The whole sephiroth trailer from beginning to end is an entire homage/tribute to Advent Children, it has nothing to do with Kingdom hearts. Just wanted to say that.
I’m well aware, it’s just interesting how some of it could easily parallel into a sora trailer and fit the same bill.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice did you see my theory btw? How likely do you think its true. I do think that had some impact on people.
One of the annoying things about all of this is that we hear things years before they actually happen and we've been met with the horrifying reality that a number of these Season 2 characters were probably picked before Ultimate was even formally announced.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Yeah, there is so many different references in Sephiroth's trailer, Pit and Kazooie only showing one wing, Zelda represents a final fantasy character, same with Gerninja, and other references are included.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

I'm going to fix some stuff, because some of them are wrong/errat'd from stuff I personally know, since I knew about Hero in smash back in October/November 2018, probably the only stuff I can proudly claim that I knew, beside Mario and Rabbit having spirits in smash.

Back in 2018, when names were thrown around for characters that Square-Enix would get, what was said was:
-That Geno wasn't taken seriously at all.
-Sora have been on the table but fell through (Probably what Imran Khan know, back when the talks were for Fighter Pass 1)
-Chrono was Implied to be a serious candidate
- I got the name "Hero (DQ)" with "Luminary/Erdrick" togethers
-And Sephiroth

Out of all of them.
Sephiroth/Hero were the most heard and the most serious ones... And well, you know the history, we got both of them.

However, once again, for Geno not being taken seriously and Sora's talk falling through, I want you all to understand that, this was back in 2018.
From my understanding the talks for Fighter Pass 2 are basically...COMPLETELY CLOSE. Shut TIGHT When it comes to characters leaks ever since Nintendo themselves goof'd up with the SNK copyrights.

Every characters leaks that have been going around were like... minus 10 minutes/The night before or just Mii Costumes.
But when it comes for the characters themselves? Everyone is in the dark.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
One of the annoying things about all of this is that we hear things years before they actually happen and we've been met with the horrifying reality that a number of these Season 2 characters were probably picked before Ultimate was even formally announced.
Yeah, that's pretty much what has happened it seems based on the season 2 pass.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm going to fix some stuff, because some of them are wrong/errat'd from stuff I personally know, since I knew about Hero in smash back in October/November 2018, probably the only stuff I can proudly claim that I knew, beside Mario and Rabbit having spirits in smash.

Back in 2018, when names were thrown around for characters that Square-Enix would get, what was said was:
-That Geno wasn't taken seriously at all.
-Sora have been on the table but fell through (Probably what Imran Khan know, back when the talks were for Fighter Pass 1)
-Chrono was Implied to be a serious candidate
- I got the name "Hero (DQ)" with "Luminary/Erdrick" togethers
-And Sephiroth

Out of all of them.
Sephiroth/Hero were the most heard and the most serious ones... And well, you know the history, we got both of them.

However, once again, for Geno not being taken seriously and Sora's talk falling through, I want you all to understand that, this was back in 2018.
From my understanding the talks for Fighter Pass 2 are basically...COMPLETELY CLOSE. Shut TIGHT When it comes to characters leaks ever since Nintendo themselves goof'd up with the SNK copyrights.

Every characters leaks that have been going around were like... minus 10 minutes/The night before or just Mii Costumes.
But when it comes for the characters themselves? Everyone is in the dark.
So, in your view, do you think Hero and Sephiroth were decided in a similar timeframe in 2018?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So, in your view, do you think Hero and Sephiroth were decided in a similar timeframe in 2018?
These points are all mostly from NoA guy actually, and he reminded us last year that Sephiroth was a "big name" heard back in the day. I can totally vouch for all the points Nekoo brought there. Hero was a worst kept secret due to that Square Enix name list, which funnily enough had sephiroth listed as well. Honestly, almost everything from that Square Enix list has gotten in. Luminary, Erdrick, Slime, Sephiroth… only names still not present in any form in Ultimate are Crono, Geno (well he is a spirit i know, but the list obviously wasn't refering geno as a spirit since the list came afterwards) and Sora. I would absolutely love a Crono mii and if it happens it would definitely add some more weight to that old list.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Probably, but it wasn't a deal of "OMG IT WAS THE PRICE FOR CLOUD TO COME BACK"
Because once again, y'all have to remember that Smash Ultimate's doc was completed the day of the final smash 4 presentation. From Sakurai himself, and from sakurai himself once again, no character get cut from the Game document.

The character that probably was hard to get back was...Prooobably Snake, explaining why his Logo went from FoxHound / Kojima production to just the "!"
Cloud not getting any new piece from S4 to Ultimate was just because the deal was for both game, both Ultimate and S4 togethers.

I also think that Hero probably got in first because there REALLY wasn't any plan for a Fighter Pass 2 back then, they really were just focused on FP1, but when FP2 happened, Sephiroth became a natural candidate, since he was the second defacto choice.

But once again, it's not a question of "X character got in because Y talks fell through", they got in by their own merits, and the characters got considered because THEY ARE themselves, not as a replacement

These points are all mostly from NoA guy actually, and he reminded us last year that Sephiroth was a "big name" heard back in the day. I can totally vouch for all the points Nekoo brought there. Hero was a worst kept secret due to that Square Enix name list, which funnily enough had sephiroth listed as well. Honestly, almost everything from that Square Enix list has gotten in. Luminary, Erdrick, Slime, Sephiroth… only names still not present in any form in Ultimate are Crono, Geno (well he is a spirit i know, but the list obviously wasn't refering geno as a spirit since the list came afterwards) and Sora. I would absolutely love a Crono mii and if it happens it would definitely add some more weight to that old list.
Lmao, that source had the same points?
I didn't know him yet, I wasn't with you and the others back then, it was just my friend at Square-Enix who told me that

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I don’t know anything about insiders or how that information circulates but maybe MCG list is just a bunch of names people heard about potentially future smash collaborations, some come up, other don’t. Everything doesn’t need to materialize.

regarding square-enix characters; its likely that geno and sephiroth were considered for FP2 but we don’t know who give priority to the one winged angel. It could have been square, nintendo or even sakurai himself (yes i know he said that he wanted Geno as a playable fighter in Brawl days but its highly likely that he is also a FFVII fan just tons of other japanese people, remember, its the best selling final fantasy game there...)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Probably, but it wasn't a deal of "OMG IT WAS THE PRICE FOR CLOUD TO COME BACK"
Because once again, y'all have to remember that Smash Ultimate's doc was completed the day of the final smash 4 presentation. From Sakurai himself, and from sakurai himself once again, no character get cut from the Game document.

The character that probably was hard to get back was...Prooobably Snake, explaining why his Logo went from FoxHound / Kojima production to just the "!"
Cloud not getting any new piece from S4 to Ultimate was just because the deal was for both game, both Ultimate and S4 togethers.

I also think that Hero probably got in first because there REALLY wasn't any plan for a Fighter Pass 2 back then, they really were just focused on FP1, but when FP2 happened, Sephiroth became a natural candidate, since he was the second defacto choice.

But once again, it's not a question of "X character got in because Y talks fell through", they got in by their own merits, and the characters got considered because THEY ARE themselves, not as a replacement

Lmao, that source had the same points?
I didn't know him yet, I wasn't with you and the others back then, it was just my friend at Square-Enix who told me that
Well the specific things NoA heard back then was that geno was heard as an office rumor and it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, said by the people who told him about it themselves. Sora apparently was always leakbait, but that was back in 2018 so who is to say if that didn't change anyway, as pass 1 decisions and pass 2 decisions happened in different times anyway, same thing goes for geno, he might not have been serious talk in pass 1 times but definitely could have changed for pass 2. And Sephiorth being "a big name". NoA guy definitely never heard anything about Crono as far as I can remember… and again Hero was just a worst kept secret because of the Square list and Vergeben I guess. So I might correct myself and just say "a few of those points you brought up" I heard from NoA too back then, instead of "all" of them lol. I dont remember him ever being involved with Hero leaks at all for sure, nor any mention of Crono as I said.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Nekoo Nekoo Nazyrus Nazyrus This is the DM Sabi shared with me back in the day. Had to dig through 2 years of PMs to find it. Note the date:

View attachment 295675
Yeah I remember that. I'm definitely gonna guess Crono is gonna be a mii, which would be super dope. My personal wishes for miis are Crono, Barret and Tifa classic FF7 models as miis, Chocobo hat and Moogle outfit. That is if we get once again fully square miis, which apparently everyone seems to be very strong about, meanwhile i'm kinda open minded that we could get mixed miis too lol

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nekoo Nekoo Nazyrus Nazyrus This is the DM Sabi shared with me back in the day. Had to dig through 2 years of PMs to find it. Note the date:

View attachment 295675
That's basically how I heard words for words, but I heard about "Hero (DQ)" just being Erdrick and Luminary), Talks about Sora falling through, and SEPHIROTH being very serious.
Guess the words about Square-Enix characters went all around lmao

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, I still think there's a chance that the Geno costume won't appear. We'll just have to wait and see on Thursday and find out. That, and see if there's an event of some kind tonight on the Japanese Smash Twitter, which may ultimately imply Sephiroth getting a release

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I've been pondering on this being the case a while.
I often wonder, though, if any X number of remaining fighters are "Okay, you did all we asked, pick like 2ish or 3 because we're feeling generous, maybe."
Or if possibly season 3 pass does exist (I legit doubt there would be a season 3 pass for my own personal reasons based on relatively nothing), then I figure it would be a small number of characters where maybe the thought would be there.
Again, that's just optimistic speculation, at best with higher powers giving Sakurai a reward for his work.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'll be reasonably pissed if Crono gets in before Geno
Well, I still think there's a chance that the Geno costume won't appear. We'll just have to wait and see on Thursday and find out. That, and see if there's an event of some kind tonight on the Japanese Smash Twitter, which may ultimately imply Sephiroth getting a release
Which should be good news if that means more hopes for Geno. I wouldn't be mad if Geno mii is missing here and Crono gets instead. I would rather be pissed if geno mii is missing by the end of the pass 2 if he is not playable in any of the remaining dlc packs, because that's when you know there is no other chance for anything at all in any shape or form.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm... characters that had been discussed possibly even before Ultimate. 🤔 You know what, Min Min, Steve, and Sephiroth all fit that time frame rather well and I'd add Geno into the mix as well. Let's say the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 may in fact be Sakurai bringing in characters that had been asked for or perhaps he wanted to add since late Smash 4 or Ultimate's base game.
  • Min Min = With the ARMS content in the base game, AND the fact that ARMS had released pretty much at the start of the Switch's life cycle, many thought that an ARMS character would have made it to Ultimate's base game. That was not the case. Instead we had ARMS spirits, Mii Costumes, and a Spring Man Assist Trophy. However, Fighters Pass Vol. 2 rolled up and our very first CP (#6) turned out to be an ARMS character.
  • Steve = With his name heard within alleged discussions around the start of Ultimate's DLC speculation cycle, and after having been released, it was confirmed by the devs themselves that negotiations for Steve's inclusion in Smash went back to approximately five years ago does present an interesting scenario. Could Steve had even been considered as a possible DLC fighter for Smash 4's last DLC slots?
  • Sephiroth = Cloud's inclusion in Smash 4 was indeed the event that tore the barriers asunder. There was however the fact that the additional content it brought was a bit lacking, and much more so with his return to Ultimate. One would have expected that with Cloud returning to Smash, he would have been given spirits, Mii Costumes, and even more tracks, but that wasn't the case. However, the withholding of more Final Fantasy content in Ultimate now kinda makes sense since Sephiroth's coming as one of the Challenger Packs. This Pack might solve the lack of FF content in the game. Also, Sephiroth was yet another name heard some time ago as it has been pointed out before, and he's quite the contender.
Going along this line of thought, that Vol. 2 might be the Pass that brings characters that had been considered prior to Ultimate does bode well for the likes of Geno, Lloyd, and even those that fared well in the Smash Ballot (if that can be considered at all). Both Geno and Lloyd were Mii Costumes in Smash 4, and as we've seen with Ultimate's Mii Costumes waves, the "premium" Mii Costumes have all been from game series yet to be represented in Smash; i.e. new characters. Again, Sakurai himself has stated to having wanted to add Geno to Smash ever since Brawl, and in regards to Bandai Namco/Tales of reps during Smash 4, he stated that if he had to pick any of the Tales of characters, it had to be Lloyd.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
I'm still having a hard time thinking both SE and Nintendo considered Sephiroth the safety pick if Geno negotiations broke up.

Something just isn't sitting right with me about that.

Chrono seems ripe for a Mii Costume treatment, honestly. Implementing him as a fighter without Double or Triple Techs just seems wrong from a design perspective. The Mii would let them have the aesthetic and feel without having to worry about playstyle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom