• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice
I really think this will be a regular presentation.
Though it is weird Nintendo Of America forgot to state there would be no other fighters revealed.
And yeah i do think there will be some new addition to smash that comes with Sephiroth (not a character but a game mode or something)

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
But that was for the Small Battlefield update and that happened like out of nowhere in August, two months before Steve. Unless I'm mistaken there too...
Let me clarify there: Steve's update was any song in the game in any Smash franchise stage (Battlefields and Final Destination).
Also, the update itself was highlighted with Steve and we all know that Steve required the agreement of every company to rework the stages.

In terms of what I'd predict for the special thing, I think it's either a new mode (current guess is Boss Rush/Boss Mode, since Sephiroth) or them revealing that new moves are coming for old characters (I wish it was more custom specials for the Miis or a 4th Mii type, that would be fun).

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be very much honest with you guys. (And probably going to repost this in the newcomer speculation)
First of all, even if my avatar might says otherwise, I'm a Square-Enix fans and JPRG nerd first and foremost, and Sephiroth Inclusion was an absolute delight for me.
However, one thing I think that is good to understand is that Sephiroth inclusion is big, EXTREMELY Big, and it's mother****ing Sephiroth. If he's in, it's because Nintendo and Sakurai wanted him. Not because he was a replacement for Sora cuz talks fell through/Or because SE said no to Geno cuz LOL MUH OBSCURE

Sephiroth is Sephiroth, Mother****ing Sephiroth THE edgy Anime Swordsman and probably in the top 3/4 of most influencial Gamin Vilain ever.
But the other thing that this pass teached us, is that I truly believe this pack was tailored for fans in mind, and I'm going to go on a hunch that the budget for it was MUCH bigger...Steve was in talks for years apparently, and Sephiroth is ****ing sephiroth, they probably didn't get him for a cereal box price.

While you guys might not see it as "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MOST ASKED CHARACTERS" I'm going to counter that with "VIDEO-GAMES FANS" beside Min-Min which was literally to be said to be a demand from Nintendo Themselves, Steve and Sephiroth? They're not Heavy hitter...They're HUMONGUS hitters in terms of Video Games influence, who probably beat any of the characters of FP1 by themselves (probably only contested by Hero in term of influence)

Which makes me think, that this pass? Nintendo/Sakurai, they're just going to asks for characters they want, and probably get them they probably don't care about double dipping a dev (Microsoft/SE) or even a franchise (FF7)... So, I'm going go on a hunch that, unless the dreaded Mii Costume shows up, Geno might come down latter down the line. I can't see this pass not having AT LEAST one "Fan Favorite" like Banjo-Kazooie were for FP1

And really in term of long "Fan Favorites" ? We don't have much left beside Geno, Sora, Crash? And what? We actually probably have all if not most of the "Never ever" possible and even more with ****ing Sephiroth joining in.

Wait until the 17th, but don't lose hope.

But at the same time,take a deep breath, and remember, in the end, it's all a video games, and the company/The devs are not here to torture you guys by not putting your characters, they try to do their best with what they have and get.
Thanks man, I still have a shred of hope that maybe Geno’s costume doesn’t come back on Thursday. If it does though, then I’ll be rooting for you Sora fans because Sora would be monumental to get in Smash and despite never playing any KH games, his moveset potential is crazy and a perfect fit for Smash.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just something to bring up, the Indie Presentation is being broadcast in Japan this time. "So?" They haven't actually broadcast one there since the Indie Presentation LAST December. It's a pretty clear sign that things are atleast somewhat under control at Nintendo and they are seemingly feeling comfortable going back to a more traditional announcement schedule.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I really think this will be a regular presentation.
Though it is weird Nintendo Of America forgot to state there would be no other fighters revealed.
And yeah i do think there will be some new addition to smash that comes with Sephiroth (not a character but a game mode or something)
We've never had character reveals in Sakurai Presents but, for the sake of argument, that doesn't mean something couldn't happen AFTER the presentation. The fact that Nintendo decided to give us almost three times more notice on this then even General Directs really makes me wonder what's up.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
This is just me being a positive masochist panda, I don't know why but I expect/hope to see the Geno Mii Costume return, just to end up in a "We have one wish to fulfill" or "please take a look" into a Geno Reveal.
They like to teeaaaasssee really bad so I wouldn't mind if that happens.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
But that was for the Small Battlefield update and that happened like out of nowhere in August, two months before Steve. Unless I'm mistaken there too...
Yeah, that was from the small battle field update, specifically 8.1 update. So nothing "big"/ something extra went along with Steve. Well, asides each stage getting reworked a bit for Steve and Mining ... I guess?

Although again, the costume is coming back, something could be special in the fact that we are getting almost a week of notice for the presentation and its at a totally different time in comparison to the others. Who knows.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yeah, that was from the small battle field update, specifically 8.1 update. So nothing "big"/ something extra went along with Steve. Well, asides each stage getting reworked a bit for Steve and Mining ... I guess?

Although again, the costume is coming back, something could be special in the fact that we are getting almost a week of notice for the presentation and its at a totally different time in comparison to the others. Who knows.
Steve was a pretty expansive character moveset-wise and his stage had some explaining to do as well. Also, just because the August update had the stage-things doesn’t mean it didn‘t take time in the Steventation too.
Not sure what the idea is of this “surprise”, but eh I might as well bring up what I know

D

Deleted member

What I’m getting at was Nintendo gave us a notice a week and a few hours short in advance for Sephiroth presents meaning there maybe a huge surprise?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think we will ever see another fighter announced in a Sakurai Presents, but I could see it happening for the self proclaimed last fighter whoever that is and Sakurai pulling a fast one saying "You think that's it?! Nah! I was just playing with you. Here is the last newcomer for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate." I could totally see him announcing FP11 as the last fighter only to drop a big bonus character like Geno, Waluigi, or Sora at the end of FP11's Presentation.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
We've never had character reveals in Sakurai Presents but, for the sake of argument, that doesn't mean something couldn't happen AFTER the presentation. The fact that Nintendo decided to give us almost three times more notice on this then even General Directs really makes me wonder what's up.
It makes me wonder if there will be a direct the same day as the presentation, and with that they could reveal the next fighter before the Smash Presentation... just spit balling here...

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If I had to take a wild guess, I think a Boss Rush type thing will be announced?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If I had to take a wild guess, I think a Boss Rush type thing will be announced?
What about WOL dlc. We literally just saw sephiroph slice Galeem in half so I wonder if there’s the possibility of WOL dlc that takes place after galeem is defeated.

It feels extremely odd to have a character slice and murder the main boss of WOL just for a trailer.

D

Deleted member

It's not over though. The likelihood of the costume is very low.

Why would you give up before it's over?
I wouldn’t want to give up either, but it’s just that there are many implications on what could honestly happen with this wave of Mii costumes. That’s why people think it’s extremely likely the costume will show up.

Last edited by a moderator:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
What about WOL dlc. We literally just saw sephiroph slice Galeem in half so I wonder if there’s the possibility of WOL dlc that takes place after galeem is defeated.

It feels extremely odd to have a character slice and murder the main boss of WOL just for a trailer.
You know, that's an interesting point. I haven't thought much about the trailer in that regard. The DLC has mostly "ignored" the story mode. (Hero is the only one, trailer wise, that explicitly showed it being part of the story mode)

Either A.) Expansion, of some sorts, of the story mode. Or a "alternate" game/story mode.
B.) Means nothing.

Firox

Smash Master
You know, that's an interesting point. I haven't thought much about the trailer in that regard. The DLC has mostly "ignored" the story mode. (Hero is the only one, trailer wise, that explicitly showed it being part of the story mode)

Either A.) Expansion, of some sorts, of the story mode. Or a "alternate" game/story mode.
B.) Means nothing.
Could you imagine if Sephiroth had been part of WoL cannon? You play through the entire story mode and get to the end only for the climactic final battle to be cut short when the final bosses, Galeem and Dharkon, get murdered randomly by Sephiroth who derails the entire narrative and becomes the new final boss?

Jack Black: "You see, every good story has three important parts: The Beginning, The Middle, and the TWIST!"

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Could you imagine if Sephiroth had been part of WoL cannon? You play through the entire story mode and get to the end only for the climactic final battle to be cut short when the final bosses, Galeem and Dharkon, get murdered randomly by Sephiroth who derails the entire narrative and becomes the new final boss?
That would be cool.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Thinking about it more, either that concept is part of the "new thing" or "extra" the presentation is going to talk about at some point ... or Sakurai just comments on it and moves on. I mean, Min Min already broke the story lore and Sakurai just brushed it off. Could be the same thing like "Wasn't that something when Sephiroth slashed Galeem in half? Anyway ..."

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Glad to see things back open.

For Thursday it's probably just going to be FF or FF7 stuff.

It's hard to tell, the trailer ends two different ways.

On the Game Awards trailer, it has 'Super Smash bros. X Final Fantasy' However the main Super Smash bros channel has its end with 'Super Smash bros. X Final Fantasy VII'

Griselda

Smash Lord
Somebody brought up a little bit ago whether or not a special move could be attached to a Mii Costume. While that does sound crazy, custom moves were a thing once upon a time, so it's definitely possible for Geno Beam/Whirl/etc. to come alongside a 'premium' Geno costume - but in my opinion it'd be easier for any new specials to just come as DLC on their own and be usable by any Mii Fighter, regardless of costume, rather than one appearing on the menu only when you're wearing a full specific set.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I don't think we are getting a premium Geno costume, there's no real point when the old costume is already there. We've already seen a bunch of the old Mii Costumes get revamped from their SSB4 versions in both the base game and DLC, whether it be because of the new Mii Proportions or just to clean them up. I really don't know why they would give Geno an entirely NEW costume instead of just touching up the old one. (Also because it would be a slap in the face after how much of a deal they made out of the old Mii Costume back in Smash 4, would they try and do that again with a PREMIUM costume?)

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I don't think we are getting a premium Geno costume, there's no real point when the old costume is already there. We've already seen a bunch of the old Mii Costumes get revamped from their SSB4 versions in both the base game and DLC, whether it be because of the new Mii Proportions or just to clean them up. I really don't know why they would give Geno and entirely NEW costume instead of just touching up the old one. (Also because it would be a slap in the face after how much of a deal they made out of the old Mii Costume, would they try and do that again with a PREMIUM costume?)
It's really just a hope for them to be decent more than anything else, I suppose - after passing over a popular character so many times, they'd at least give his fans something that looks more like him than the uncanny Sm4sh costume.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

B.) Means nothing.
I’ve seen it brought up that Sephiroth could be added as some sort of bonus boss, in keeping with the tradition established since Kingdom Hearts. Idk if they’d do anything like that (what I REALLY want is a new boss rush mode and new bosses like Safer Sephiroth) but it’d be pretty cool

Firox

Smash Master
I’ve seen it brought up that Sephiroth could be added as some sort of bonus boss, in keeping with the tradition established since Kingdom Hearts. Idk if they’d do anything like that (what I REALLY want is a new boss rush mode and new bosses like Safer Sephiroth) but it’d be pretty cool
How about Boss Rush mode with one of them being a LVL 20 CPU (broken amiibo-style) Sephiroth?

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
What I’m getting at was Nintendo gave us a notice a week and a few hours short in advance for Sephiroth presents meaning there maybe a huge surprise?
I feel like Sephiroth could be a big shift in overhauling content that is currently in the game and characters going forwards could bring stuff like that with them.

Alternatively, it could be the announcement of more DLC. Whether that be more characters or even something like paid costumes for the non-Miis.

Griselda

Smash Lord
A question - if Geno's costume does come back in a few days which we're assuming means he's not going to be a part of Pass 2, then would a potential Pass 3 being greenlit even do anything for his chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom