• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I get that you're depressed but "everyone's out to get the Geno fanbase" mentality absolutely kills me. People like Jeff Grubb,Imran Khan, Jon Cartwright, etc don't seem like people that would go out of their way to ** with total strangers. No functional adult is that petty. One thing I've learned doing this is that you generally have no idea when the hell things are supposed to pan out and I'm still shocked as ** the Steve and Sephiroth wound up being true two years later. I don't think people grasp how significant this is because I sincerely doubt Nintendo made multiple trips to Microsoft and Square Enix for those respective characters. Hell, several people have admitted that Steve was greenlit in 2015. Hero, Sephiroth, and Geno all being okayed by the fall of 2018 would not surprise me one bit at this point. From an amateur perspective, we really have no real sense of how this works and this speculation has introduced us to the terrifying reality that this can take years to happen and we get info waaaaaaaaay too early.
You know who I'm gunning at and you know he's not a functional adult.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm *ing bitter and I want to put these words on paper, and know that I mean them from the bottom of my heart - if you like Banjo then * you. I hate you for the fact that you got your dumb cereal mascot from a trashy knockoff Mario 64 before we got virtually anyone else. This goes beyond Geno, *ing Waluigi would have been a better pick than Banjo. I'm glad that he's just a ****ty Mario semi-clone that'll never amount to anything competitively because I ****ing hate looking at him and hearing his sound effects and his music. He was added as nothing more than yet another "look at us, we went to our direct competitor and shilled their console so we could pretend to appeal to fans but actually we just wanted to turn heads and be a media sensation", but blinded by nostalgia for an objectively awful pair of video games you guys think they finally listened to the fans for once. It's sad. And for the record? Geno could be the next three characters and I'd still feel this way about Banjo. * him and **** his fans.
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I agree we shouldn't go into full doomposting mode (and jesus some of you guys need to chill), but at the same time the costume showing up next week is clearly the most likely outcome here. Can you really see Square getting a FOURTH CHARACTER in the game, and a third newcomer in one game? I can't.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I agree we shouldn't go into full doomposting mode, but at the same time the costume showing up next week is clearly the most likely outcome here. Can you really see Square getting a FOURTH CHARACTER in the game, and a third newcomer in one game? I can't.
If Sephiroth has proven anything, we barely know what likely outcomes are. We thought another FF rep was unlikely, and yet, here we are. We can't say with any authority until the Mii Costumes are in what is and what isn't unlikely at this point.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Even if Geno doesn't come to Ultimate, I will still want him in Smash. I'll be there for Smash 6, I'll be there for Smash 7. My belief that Geno would be a fun, unique, and interesting character to have in Smash Bros will never be broken.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Do any guys have any other chracthers you want other geno its good to have other chracther you want in case your only doesnt get in
Pretty much all my most wanteds have been snapped, actually:

Rex (could still happen but doubtful)
Dragonborn (doubt we’ll get anything Bethesda besides Vault Boy)
Ryza (interview probably deconfirmed her)
Zack (was really hoping he would show up as a Cloud echo with Sephiroth)
Geno (obviously)
Geralt (book character, probably won’t get in even with technicalities)

That said, I’m still incredibly happy with every character we’ve gotten.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
This is the first time I’ve felt this way, but this whole situation makes me wish a publisher like Microsoft made SMRPG instead of Square.

Microsoft clearly listened to what their ALL their fans wanted for both of their picks and what they brought to Smash. Microsoft didn’t feel the need to shill whatever new releases they had in either case, and instead catered to the will of their users across all demographics. They clearly had boots on the ground on Twitter and in Smash circles.

The result? A fantastic fan reaction both times.

But instead, SMRPG was made by Square, a company who is just promoting whatever is tied to a recent release instead of listening to what their supporters want to see. Oh well.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Question which I'm sure you've answered numerous times. However, I'm interested to hear your recent thoughts. In the scenario that Geno does not make it in and FP2 is the last FP, where does that leave you for future Smash speculation?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm going to invoke the powers that be. Let's see if they do due diligence and justice.

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom , Megadoomer Megadoomer , NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy and any other staff who have the power.

I think this thread needs locked for a while because way too many folks are having complete tantrum meltdowns live on television here and it's not good. We now have folks attacking their fellow Geno fans, demanding that they give up, attacking other characters and fanbases, and suggesting people don't deserve to get the characters they want.

Cut off this gangrenous limb so that the body can heal.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
We should be thankful that Geno is also a Mario character, so he’s in a pretty unique situation. He would probably be more counted as a Mario rep than a third Square rep for this game. Doom Slayer kind of falls into this now too having ties to both Bethesda and Microsoft. I think most would consider him more of a Bethesda rep than a third Microsoft rep.

So maybe it’s not so much another Square character getting in that we should worry about, but another Mario character.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I'm *ing bitter and I want to put these words on paper, and know that I mean them from the bottom of my heart - if you like Banjo then * you. I hate you for the fact that you got your dumb cereal mascot from a trashy knockoff Mario 64 before we got virtually anyone else. This goes beyond Geno, *ing Waluigi would have been a better pick than Banjo. I'm glad that he's just a ****ty Mario semi-clone that'll never amount to anything competitively because I ****ing hate looking at him and hearing his sound effects and his music. He was added as nothing more than yet another "look at us, we went to our direct competitor and shilled their console so we could pretend to appeal to fans but actually we just wanted to turn heads and be a media sensation", but blinded by nostalgia for an objectively awful pair of video games you guys think they finally listened to the fans for once. It's sad. And for the record? Geno could be the next three characters and I'd still feel this way about Banjo. * him and **** his fans.
imagine getting this angry at a cartoon bear

pinshadow

Smash Lord
We should be thankful that Geno is also a Mario character, so he’s in a pretty unique situation. He would probably be more counted as a Mario rep than a third Square rep for this game. Doom Slayer kind of falls into this now too having ties to both Bethesda and Microsoft. I think most would consider him more of a Bethesda rep than a third Microsoft rep.

So maybe it’s not so much another Square character getting in that we should worry about, but another Mario character.
This, and alot of the other stuff people have been saying over the last 19 hours, reaaaaally feels like bargaining. I guess we won't know until Thursday but overthinking this before we even see if the costume is back is a recipe for another round of disappointment.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I know that I haven't really been on this thread in forever, but I wanted to get back here because I knew how much this would crush you all.

And you know what, I think that there is still a chance to get Geno in smash, even though it seems like a 1% possibility.

Nintendo and Sakurai have chosen Sephiroth as the latest character of the DLC pack, meaning that the music Licensing issue might not have been as big of an issue as it could've been. At this point, most of the stuff that fans thought would hold certain characters back has not been the case (Banjo, Ridley, Krool, Bayo, and Joker). I really enjoy the amount of care and dedication for having Geno in smash. So I am not giving up until the last character in the pack sings. Even if there is a Mii costume for Geno before that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One of the demons in my head brought up a good point about Mii costumes that I wanted to share here. All of the packs have had promotions of some kind with most having two. This typically comes in the form of an assist trophy, stage/final smash cameo, or both:

Joker: Morgana (cameo), Tails (cameo), Knuckles (assist trophy)

Hero: Slime (cameo), Erdrick (cameo)

Banjo: Zero (assist trophy), Protoman (cameo)

Terry: Akira (assist trophy), all the SNK characters (cameos)

Byleth: Exe (cameo), X (cameo)

Min Min: Ninjara (cameo), Heihachi (cameo), Callie (assist trophy), Marie (assist trophy)

Steve: Creeper (cameo), Pig (cameo), Gil (cameo), Bomberman (assist trophy)

If a company doesn't have assist trophies, usually they go onto stage cameos. Based on this, along with Chocobo, one of the Final Fantasy costumes is likely going to be one of the Midgar summons.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'm going to invoke the powers that be. Let's see if they do due diligence and justice.

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom , Megadoomer Megadoomer , NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy and any other staff who have the power.

I think this thread needs locked for a while because way too many folks are having complete tantrum meltdowns live on television here and it's not good. We now have folks attacking their fellow Geno fans, demanding that they give up, attacking other characters and fanbases, and suggesting people don't deserve to get the characters they want.

Cut off this gangrenous limb so that the body can heal.
There is absolutely no reason for this thread to be locked due to one person having a meltdown and lashing out at multiple people just because they got the characters they wanted. The rest of us are perfectly fine, thank you very much.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
This, and alot of the other stuff people have been saying over the last 19 hours, reaaaaally feels like bargaining. I guess we won't know until Thursday but overthinking this before we even see if the costume is back is a recipe for another round of disappointment.
True enough, but we gotta keep hope alive. At least for one more week. I think we owe Geno that much.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
There is absolutely no reason for this thread to be locked due to one person having a meltdown and lashing out at multiple people just because they got the characters they wanted. The rest of us are perfectly fine, thank you very much.
Well I didn't want to flat out come out and ask them to ban him, and he's not the only one, just the most extreme case.

However doing that would solve the problem too. I won't see his posts anymore so it doesn't matter for me but I'm just trying to help out our thread here.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
One of the demons in my head brought up a good point about Mii costumes that I wanted to share here. All of the packs have had promotions of some kind with most having two. This typically comes in the form of an assist trophy, stage/final smash cameo, or both:

Joker: Morgana (cameo), Tails (cameo), Knuckles (assist trophy)

Hero: Slime (cameo), Erdrick (cameo)

Banjo: Zero (assist trophy), Protoman (cameo)

Terry: Akira (assist trophy), all the SNK characters (cameos)

Byleth: Exe (cameo), X (cameo)

Min Min: Ninjara (cameo), Heihachi (cameo), Callie (assist trophy), Marie (assist trophy)

Steve: Creeper (cameo), Pig (cameo), Gil (cameo), Bomberman (assist trophy)

If a company doesn't have assist trophies, usually they go onto stage cameos. Based on this, along with Chocobo, one of the Final Fantasy costumes is likely going to be one of the Midgar summons.
See but the thing is, pretty much all of those costumes were made from existing assets, it's a clever use of resources more than anything else. Midgar summons are just PNG's.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I get that you're depressed but "everyone's out to get the Geno fanbase" mentality absolutely kills me. People like Jeff Grubb,Imran Khan, Jon Cartwright, etc don't seem like people that would go out of their way to ** with total strangers. No functional adult is that petty. One thing I've learned doing this is that you generally have no idea when the hell things are supposed to pan out and I'm still shocked as ** the Steve and Sephiroth wound up being true two years later. I don't think people grasp how significant this is because I sincerely doubt Nintendo made multiple trips to Microsoft and Square Enix for those respective characters. Hell, several people have admitted that Steve was greenlit in 2015. Hero, Sephiroth, and Geno all being okayed by the fall of 2018 would not surprise me one bit at this point. From an amateur perspective, we really have no real sense of how this works and this speculation has introduced us to the terrifying reality that this can take years to happen and we get info waaaaaaaaay too early.
That’s what I’m trying to communicate to people too.

After Joker, Byleth, Steve, and now Sephiroth, it’s become clear that we really don’t know how Nintendo’s internal processes work. We are constantly floored and surprised by them (for better or for worse).

And I mean this with respect and kinship, but this statement includes ALL of us in this community (Fatman, Awkwah, Mondo, etc.). Some people hear little tidbits of info but at the end of the day, we are constantly being proved wrong or swerved by Nintendo.

it is what it is. I suppose it’s remarkable that a company like Nintendo can remain so mysterious and secretive in 2020.

D

Deleted member

Just keep it locked forever. Saves staff the trouble of having to monitor the thread 24/7 like they have several times in the past.

I think it'd do us some good to move away from this ****hole of a community. No, really, I do. We deserve to be treated fairly. People forgot that we were living human beings.

PandaCeptions

Smash Rookie
guh huh

D

Deleted member

They can ban me but they can't ban Geno from being a costume.
Well no kidding. It has nothing to do with you getting way too personal over this. That post of yours is a very good example of being a bad apple. You can do what you want to your game, but I don’t see not getting that 1 character you want ruins it for you and acting all toxic over Banjo. Newsflash, as much as I want Geno more than Banjo, Geno is in a lower position than Banjo in terms of history and recognition.

Last edited by a moderator:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
In my personal opinion, I think some of us need to stop looking at one person's emotional avalanche and applying their mentality and negativity in broad strokes across the many other people that are regularly posting and visiting this community thread today. If the mods choose to lock this topic, that's their call, and so it shall be if that is the case, but I highly disagree that the walls are coming down in any capacity like a couple of us seem to feel like. Most of us are disappointed, but we're taking our medicine accordingly, and looking ahead to what's coming up for the time being.

No one has thought we are less than human beings, as far as I can tell, save for one person in particular who seems to consider themselves on a higher pedestal than certain other people, strictly because of how personal they're taking all of this.

When someone posts inflammatory, needlessly antagonistic things such as this, because they have nowhere else to direct their frustrations:

...I feel like this needs to be addressed moreso than the thread itself in which it is being posted. Just my two cents. I wonder if the powers-that-be will agree with my sentiment.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
That’s what I’m trying to communicate to people too.

After Joker, Byleth, Steve, and now Sephiroth, it’s become clear that we really don’t know how Nintendo’s internal processes work. We are constantly floored and surprised by them (for better or for worse).

And I mean this with respect and kinship, but this statement includes ALL of us in this community (Fatman, Awkwah, Mondo, etc.). Some people hear little tidbits of info but at the end of the day, we are constantly being proved wrong or swerved by Nintendo.

it is what it is. I suppose it’s remarkable that a company like Nintendo can remain so mysterious and secretive in 2020.
This pretty hard. They continue to BTFO anyone who thinks they know what's up. There's some obvious calls we all made, like Min Min, Hero or (maybe in hindsight) Banjo. But the last characters for this pass have almost entirely been mysteries and we are 100% in the dark about the remaining 3 now. I think that's what is driving us all mad. In the past we at least had an inkling of where the DLC was headed, either through insider hinting, leaks we could bet on, or straight up being told what to expect. Now? There's nothing.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Didn't notice this until attention was brought to it, but as a Banjo-Kazooie fan whose love for them is just as strong as my love for Geno? Whose reveal and inclusion left me happy with Ultimate, even if Geno never happened? Whose fans, myself included, were just as ruthlessly dogged for loving them as Geno's?

Shut the **** up. People like you are the reason why Geno's fans have such a bad reputation. Your temper tantrum is an embarrassment. I love Geno, and I'm very heartbroken that he's out, but the way you're trashing other people's favorites, including a character in a VERY SIMILAR SITUATION TO GENO ONCE UPON TIME, is beyond childish. I don't care if I get warned for calling you out since I'm hardly here anyway, but this is beyond unhealthy. If you hate me because I dared to love the cartoony bear and bird like I love Geno, characters that have changed my life, then the feeling is mutual, sweetheart.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Can someone remind me which Mii costumes from Smash 4 haven't returned yet? I want to see if the number of costumes that need to return match up with the remaining challenger packs assuming only 1 costume returns with each pack.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Banjo is the only good DLC character and this post makes you sound deranged

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Something I'm really keeping in mind here is the speculated companies and characters that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has mentioned.

The characters themselves may be off, but so far the companies involved have been pretty significant.

Before, it was brought up the pass could be Waluigi, Master Chief, Geno, Lloyd, Crash, and Dante.

Eventually, ideas have shifted with new information.

Rumors about Ryu Hayabusa being included to then getting Min Min back in June, the pass started to look something like this:

Min Min, Master Chief, Geno, Lloyd, Ryu H. Dante- Waluigi, Crash, maybe two Nintendo characters. (Characters may not be exact as it was when Fatman has brought it up, but trying to use this for example).

I don't think we should be focusing on the characters, but definitely the companies involved, which have been accurate: Nintendo (Duh), Microsoft, Square, Namco, Capcom, and the two rumored ones, Activision and Koi-Tecmo.

As I've brought and, and so have others, I feel there would be a 3rd pass, and it is interesting the relationship between Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square-Enix.

Before yesterday, I felt the two passes would look like this:

Pass 2: Min Min, Steve, Geno, Lloyd, Ryu H. Dante

Pass 3: Waluigi, Crash, Master Chief, ???? (Either a nintendo character, or another 3rd party: Sora, rayman, Doom Slayer, etc.)

In light of yesterdays reveal, I think its starting to make sense that we would see something like this:

Pass 2: Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Lloyd, Ryu. H, Dante (Here, non of the companies are double-dipping)

Pass 3: Waluigi, Crash, Geno, Master Chief

It may not go in this order, or be these exact characters, but I just find it interesting that it has been rumored that Microsoft could get 3 reps (Banjo, Steve, and Master Chief) and quite possibly Square-Enix (Hero, Sephiroth, Geno). Out of the companies involved, I feel they have a much larger pull.

I just wanted to get my thoughts out here, and obviously things can play out differently, and that's fine too.

Overall, I am very excited to see what comes next. As a Geno fan, yes, on the surface it doesn't look promising, but I feel the same way as when Hero was revealed. I thought "Shoot, he got the shaft again... Well, lets see what happens.." And look, its a year and a half later and we're still here speculating.

If he's in, great, if not, fine too. Ultimate has been an amazing game and I'm not going to let 1 disappointment influence my opinion on this game. Geno wasn't the only fighter I was rooting for, but he's still number 1 on my list. So anyways, lets see what happens

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Can someone remind me which Mii costumes from Smash 4 haven't returned yet? I want to see if the number of costumes that need to return match up with the remaining challenger packs assuming only 1 costume returns with each pack.
It's Chocobo, Geno, Lloyd, and the two Monster Hunters. So, frustratingly, since I HIGHLY doubt the two Monster Hunter costumes will be split up, the only way we end up with each of the remaining packs getting a returning costume is Geno not showing up on Thursday.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Never realized how obsessed Gamefaqs is. Lot of you guys got a shout out

View attachment 295154
Damn, I'm not sure if I should post more or less. Not sure why this even exists, but it seems we have megafans!

Hello megafans! Please don't stalk me on Twitter and no, I'm not selling any bath water, but I still think Geno is in the running so that should be good enough content for you guys, right?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Never realized how obsessed Gamefaqs is. Lot of you guys got a shout out

View attachment 295154
Imagine being obssessed enough you make a god damn script to tell how many posts are made by people on a dying internet forum. Reading into it more "the script"? So this is something well known? Do they do this to other threads? Or do they just do this to the Geno thread once a week and pretend it's some kind of hitlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom