• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel for you guys.

I mean, yes, I'm a Sephiroth fan. But I know what it feels like to have your favorite either effectively or directly disconfirmed. Spring Man/Dr. Coyle fan who still sighs in the dark. Same with Slime.

I just hope we still get him in the game in some way if he isn't playable. A costume is nowhere near as good, but it's one of the few I'd purchase outside of a bundle anyway. I really do love the character. The only other major costumes of interest to me(the new ones, not returning) are Slime Hat, somewhat Team Rocket Grunt, Rabbid Hat, and I think that's it? That I can remember, anyway. But the second we get a bundle(it's more so I can get them faster, not pay less), I'm getting 'em all~

As for regular VS deluxe, I'd rather deluxe so more work is put into him. I mean, the costume honestly wasn't bad like Isabelle's and King K. Rool's were, but it should get a graphical update. Plus, just getting a song is a plus. I'd rather have that than nothing at this point. The more SMRPG content the better.

(Obviously I'm not saying people should be satisfied with a costume. Of course not. You should be satisfied only if it's what you actually want~)

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok, TGA 2020 just wrapped up so, now it's just a matter of waiting for next Thursday's Sephiroth showcase.

link2702

Smash Champion
I think at this point, if Geno just comes back as a costume, the only reasonable explanation is that Sakurai just didn't try very hard to get him as a fighter. That he was told 'no' and he didn't press it and try to work something out. The only other option is that Sakurai explicitly made base/Pass 1/Pass 2 plans over a period of years and didn't include Geno as a possibility in any of them.

He's gone on record as being aware of Geno's popularity and has stated himself that he has interest, so if he made those plans without Geno, that'd just be him saying, 'I know you want him, but I don't care'. And I'm not sure if that's very in-character for someone who we know works to please the fans whenever he can.
sakurai stated both for FP1, and after FP2 was announced, that nintendo chose the characters. I think at this point it's pretty clear. I get the feeling now that all the times he mentioned that was because he did try for geno, but nintnedo really blocked him and said they're choosing who to go after.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, it almost brings a tear to my eye to see all of us lose our hopes and dreams for seeing Geno join the battle. I'm really gonna be upset to see how silent this thread will be if Geno's costume comes back on the 17th, which honestly sounds pretty likely to me. I'm seriously gonna miss you all, and the crazy speculation if this truly is the end.
Something something don't cry because it's over something something smile because it happened or some dumb ****, I dunno. I'm encouraging people to wait until the end because if you invest time in something that's really what you ought to do. As someone who grew up on St. Louis Cardinals baseball I know that all too well. Geno being a spirit looked bad and Hero looked bad and Steve being 7 looked bad and now this looks bad but maybe it actually isn't so that's why you wait until the final out before taking the drive home.

NukeLaBelle

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nukenai
Well here's some good news, I made a pact with myself that I'd get a second Geno tattoo if he got into Smash so for now, I get to save my money. Lol.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
and another thing I want to say, and I want all of you who have lost faith to hear me out. I know things look bleak as hell, in fact I'm right there with you so know I understand where were coming from. It might feel really tempting to just shut off and stop caring when it looks like our time is up, but to deny how you really feel is to betray everything we've been through up to this point. Maybe we lost, maybe we had lost from the moment sakurai passed the buck and told us nintendo picked the dlc, and we just let ourselves think we had a shot because banjo somehow did and our determination saw us through, but through it all we stuck it out here through the bad and the ugly. If you think all you time here was a waste then your the biggest fool of all, because deep down you know you came back here again and again because there wasn't a place you'd rather be. Slumming it with the geno gang is some of the most fun i've had pissing my time away on the internet. The characters, the banter, the memes, it's a community I've been proud to call my own for better and for worse. Whether geno gets into smash ultimate or not ultimately doesn't matter, it's not like anything anyone here could do was ever going to affect ANYTHING. What matters is the journey we all took on sakurai's wild ride together, and I couldn't have asked for a better band of misfits.

Maybe we were just fools trying to catch the rainbow, but I don't regret it for a moment and I hope you don't either.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
sakurai stated both for FP1, and after FP2 was announced, that nintendo chose the characters. I think at this point it's pretty clear. I get the feeling now that all the times he mentioned that was because he did try for geno, but nintnedo really blocked him and said they're choosing who to go after.
That's a really odd move on Nintendo's part, then. They are also aware that there's an audience for the character who is willing to pay for him. And they should especially know that after the response to Banjo's inclusion, since he's the best thing we have to compare to Geno.

D

Deleted member

I’m going to be taking off going to enjoy the rest of the Fighters Pass.Vol. 2 from a distance I’m still a Geno fan till the end and will be rooting for him for a Future Super Smash Bros. and for Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars to come back. Never give up it may happen someday.

Thanks to everyone here for some amazing moments this community is great I was glad to be a Geno fan with you all and I’m one no matter what!

Star Road Discord thanks for all the amazing memories and moments I’ll never forget any of you thanks for a great year!
So long and farewell You’re all amazing!

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Someone made a good point of Sakurai seemingly having more control over the Deluxe Miis. I think honestly a cool looking Mii Gunner w some music track remixes would be awesome.

But yeah onto the disappointment thing this is def giving me vibes of K. Rool's costume back in 2015 so many people were disappointed (including myself) and as long as there's Smash there's a chance in a future game. Obviously us talking about it on Smashboards doesn't do much lol but idk if there's a cool Deluxe Mii next week I'll be personally happy. The Sans one went over great in the community

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
me retiro de la especulacion
Una pena. Adios, vaquero.

Alright. I saw the reveal with a buddy of mind and my reaction was "HOLY *!" To "Oh *..."

Two things to point out as we go forward.

-It is certainly not over, but not looking great for us currently.

-Sephiroth is a BIG DEAL. A Villain got into Smash via DLC. Don't see that everyday.

I will be optimistic about this, because of what happened with Hero. I remember so vividly people coming in and going "Oh that sucks" "Sorry" "Lololololol" and so on. And when it came time to it to 'reveal' Geno's Mii Costume....IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Thus the narrative changed "Well of course Geno's Mii Costume didn't show up. Square wanted to focus on Dragon Quest"

If it happens again and Sephiroth brings only Final Fantasy content...Then there is a chance.

Let's stay optimistic gang!
So, if there´s no Geno costume, the hope lives on. and If he is as a mii costume, then we all come and do a norse funeral style of posts here.
Seems reasonable.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to be real with you brilliant ****s as I am always - if Geno's costume doesn't come back with the one winged angel himself then they've just thrown Geno back into the garbage never to be seen again. It's not a sign of hope, it's roping us along as always.

Excluding his costume from the first pass was the greatest business move ever made because it suckered all of us into hanging onto Nintendo's every word about this atrocious game.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Alas, that's how it goes. Unfortunate, but, there's not much that can be done about it.

So, I guess that's that, unless we somehow get an additional few slots after the pass is complete. Unless Square decides to double-dip, but.....?

Either way. It was fun to come back and feel excited for a few days, but I think that's about it for me.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm going to be real with you brilliant ****s as I am always - if Geno's costume doesn't come back with the one winged angel himself then they've just thrown Geno back into the garbage never to be seen again. It's not a sign of hope, it's roping us along as always.

Excluding his costume from the first pass was the greatest business move ever made because it suckered all of us into hanging onto Nintendo's every word about this atrocious game.
Jesus christ, this game is amazing and Sephy is an amazing inclusion.

Please, **** off with this horrible attitude. A game doesn't have to give you everything you want to be good.

This is the **** people make fun of us for.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
When Sakurai said Nintendo chose the characters for this pass, it really does feel like it. It has different feeling from Fighter's Pass 1 for sure.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Something something don't cry because it's over something something smile because it happened or some dumb ****, I dunno. I'm encouraging people to wait until the end because if you invest time in something that's really what you ought to do. As someone who grew up on St. Louis Cardinals baseball I know that all too well. Geno being a spirit looked bad and Hero looked bad and Steve being 7 looked bad and now this looks bad but maybe it actually isn't so that's why you wait until the final out before taking the drive home.
Yeah you're right. I don't mean to be all doom and gloom now that we got a different Square character that isn't Geno, but I guess that's just the pessimism in me. I would love to be wrong, but Sephiroth really made me lose hope in what I once thought was Geno's time to shine.

Also, let me be the first to say, that I really feel bad for you the most out of anyone on this thread if Geno is costume'd next week. You have supported Geno since 2002 and GameFAQ's has ridiculed you time and time again for your theories. I really hope Geno gets in not even just for my sake, but for all of your guy's sake. I know we may get picked on for these next few months, but I guess that's just the Geno speculation cycle in a nutshell.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
k so

this blindside made an already ****ty day for me even ****tier

but after taking a moment, i thought back to my vows

I thought back to my oath of enlistment to the geno army. Back when I was a young boy in front a snes emulator

And I swore to see the Great Geno Campaign until its end. This setback will pave the way for an even more vindicating victory when the day comes, whether it’s this game or a future one

I will wander thru the forest for the rest of my days until I reunite with Geno once again

Give me back my sword. let’s see this war until its end. And grab me a genoccino while you’re at it

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Not really? We know from interviews that Sakurai is a huge fan of Dragon Quest, and has wanted them in for a long time; but never really got the chance until now. I doubt he was forced to add in DQ against his will, because even in the showcase it's pretty clear that he loves the series.

As I've said before, it's more likely that Sakurai just has a huge list of characters that he wants but chooses not to go public with most of them (because you know how much the fanbase already harasses him in terms of roster). Nintendo most likely knows of those characters already, and the final roster is a mixture of picks that Sakurai wants and picks that Nintendo wants (but ultimately Nintendo picks everything from both pools). Sephiroth is also a huge icon (especially in Japan). While Nintendo may have certainly forced Sakurai to add certain characters, I doubt that Sephiroth/Hero were characters Sakurai was against in any way.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Honestly, that Sephiroth trailer was really bad*ss! There were a ton of great moments and appearances from other fighters. I love crossover trailers and this is effectively a sequel to the World of Light Intro. Can't complain too much.

As bad as it seems for Geno right now, I'm still holding out hope. I have a gut feeling it'll happen eventually. Everyone is Here isn't over for me until Geno shows up.

Last edited:

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
okay thats it RANT TIME

IM NOT OKAY WITH THIS

While I disliked FF7 and believe it aged terribly, I found its remake quite fantastic and loved Sephiroth is this

HOWEVER

Square (or nintendo idk) is acting as if FF7 is the only thing ever that ever existed, what about like... THE 15 OTHER ENTRIES ???

I am TIRED of this praise for FF7 when charcaters like Sora, Chrono or Geno deserved a spot WAY MORE and ITS A FACT

Cloud was awesome and unexpected, you don't need to rereate this scheme TWICE

And TBH he looks BAD, looks like an AT they would have forgotten during dev... COME ON ? Zelda side B? Counter Down B? This characters a ****ing patchwork FFS

AAaaaaaand only 1 to 2 music and the stage is ugly af

Im pissed

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I’m strangely not phased by Sephiroth? After his and Steve’s and frankly, Byleth’s reveal, it’s become clear that Nintendo is unpredictable and can do whatever the hell they want. Maybe they did negotiate for 2 Square character this pass? Who knows. I’m in the camp of waiting until the very end.

and like Fatman said, it’s the resilience of the Geno fan base that is truly remarkable. We don’t want to end up like the Krystal fan base after Brawl was released...

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Alright, shows over, I need to vent.

Let me start this off with a BIG DISCLAIMER : You are allowed to like Sephiroth being in the game. I get it, he's a super popular character, he's atleast another villain, and honestly he will probably be fun to play. None of my frustration is directed at anyone excited by this, you should be happy to have your moment, enjoy it. If you don't want to read an overly long rant written by someone very frustrated by this, then don't, more power to you.

All that being said... really. Really. REALLY? SEPHIROTH. Of all characters? REALLY?!?! Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm dissappointed by no Geno, very much so. I saw Hero in the trailer and instantly realized that it had to be a Square character, they don't let their stuff in anything else. I saw Mario, I got really excited. I see Galeem, and HE GETS CUT IN HALF BY A VERTICAL SWORD SWING, I genuinely thought it was Exor and we were getting Geno. It stung. ALOT.

But like... I'm dissappointed by the prospect Geno isn't in the game. Not really mad, just kinda empty about it, like really, we got strung along by the missing Mii Costume just for it to almost certainly come with a different Square character? K Rool and Chrom and Isabelle can all get upgraded but Geno is just too much for Square I guess? Whatever. But Sephiroth? Thats what makes me angry. You could have put in ANY. OTHER. SQUARE CHARACTER. Neku. Crono. 2B. Lara Croft. SORA. GOD DAMN GEX. Or how about this, atleast a Final Fantasy character from a different game, maybe one more intone with Nintendo, like Black Mage, or Terra?

But no, Square just HAAAD to put in Sephiroth. Of course they did. Gotta promote that Final Fantasy 7 Remake don't ya? I was ok with Cloud, sure he is way more tied to Sony than Nintendo but it's Final Fantasy 7, actually having him in Smash is the stuff of LEGENDS. Sephiroth just feels like Square wanted to make the most money possible and shill the remake.

And of ALL THE THIRD PARTY FRANCHISES TO GET A 2ND FULL CHARACTER, it's Final Fantasy, and not even from a different game. Sure am going to be glad to get the TWO ****ing music tracks that come with him. Can't give Sonic another character, can't give Mega Man another character, but SURE let's give Final Fantasy 7 one. Just uhhg.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of Sephiroth's costumes, one thing that plays to our advantage is that Joker is the only character that has had a full six costumes. Most had five, Hero had 4. One is absolutely guaranteed to be the Chocobo hat so we've got at most 4 axe swings to survive. Also to our advantage... FFVII doesn't have any spirits yet and the Final Fantasy series has 14 mainline games but hardly any content in Smash. Given how Hero turned out, there's likely going to be at least one more costume specifically tied to FF VIII. That brings us down to 3 axe swings and FF VII has a character with a literal gun as an arm. Odds aren't looking as impossible now, are they?

Griselda

Smash Lord
Okay, look.. Personally, I'm not one of the ones saying that Ultimate is terrible - but it doesn't matter that anyone's saying that at all. That's their opinion. They are allowed to have it. And if one detail ruined the whole experience for them, then that is also valid and legitimate - because it's their experience.

It's just.. god, I'm getting flashbacks to any criticism of BoTW when it first released being considered social suicide, worthy of threats and name-calling. That's the reason why many people, when they have problems with the game, still feel like they have to start their statements with , "BoTW is an amazing game, but..."

You're allowed to dislike Ultimate, and you're allowed to like it at first and then change your mind about it. Even if the reason is just that the character you wanted didn't get in. That isn't petty or childish. You also don't have to praise the game for what it's done for other people if it didn't do anything for you. Their opinion of the game is valid, and so is yours.

Personally? I still like Ultimate as a game, because it's Smash - and I like Smash's gameplay. I'll still likely play the game now and then even if Geno's a costume next week. That's what I'm gonna do, and that's my business. What anyone else does is their business.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Alright, shows over, I need to vent.

Let me start this off with a BIG DISCLAIMER : You are allowed to like Sephiroth being in the game. I get it, he's a super popular character, he's atleast another villain, and honestly he will probably be fun to play. None of my frustration is directed at anyone excited by this, you should be happy to have your moment, enjoy it. If you don't want to read an overly long rant written by someone very frustrated by this, then don't, more power to you.

All that being said... really. Really. REALLY? SEPHIROTH. Of all characters? REALLY?!?! Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm dissappointed by no Geno, very much so. I saw Hero in the trailer and instantly realized that it had to be a Square character, they don't let their stuff in anything else. I saw Mario, I got really excited. I see Galeem, and HE GETS CUT IN HALF BY A VERTICAL SWORD SWING, I genuinely thought it was Exor and we were getting Geno. It stung. ALOT.

But like... I'm dissappointed by the prospect Geno isn't in the game. Not really mad, just kinda empty about it, like really, we got strung along by the missing Mii Costume just for it to almost certainly come with a different Square character? K Rool and Chrom and Isabelle can all get upgraded but Geno is just too much for Square I guess? Whatever. But Sephiroth? Thats what makes me angry. You could have put in ANY. OTHER. SQUARE CHARACTER. Neku. Crono. 2B. Lara Croft. SORA. GOD DAMN GEX. Or how about this, atleast a Final Fantasy character from a different game, maybe one more intone with Nintendo, like Black Mage, or Terra?

But no, Square just HAAAD to put in Sephiroth. Of course they did. Gotta promote that Final Fantasy 7 Remake don't ya? I was ok with Cloud, sure he is way more tied to Sony than Nintendo but it's Final Fantasy 7, actually having him in Smash is the stuff of LEGENDS. Sephiroth just feels like Square wanted to make the most money possible and shill the remake.

And of ALL THE THIRD PARTY FRANCHISES TO GET A 2ND FULL CHARACTER, it's Final Fantasy, and not even from a different game. Sure am going to be glad to get the TWO ****ing music tracks that come with him. Can't give Sonic another character, can't give Mega Man another character, but SURE let's give Square one. Just uhhg.
You basically took those words right out of my mouth, because these are my exact thoughts.
I just think Sephiroth is a bad choice, through and through.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Ok, I’ve got a question for everyone: what’s your reaction gonna be if the Geno costume STILL doesn’t come with Sephiroth?

novazvezda

Smash Cadet

Listen. I know that we are all in hot water with the inclusion of Sephiroth, but please can we all have some lightheartedness with these discussions? "Atrocious game" is flat out and straight up wrong as evidenced by the wide community support. While Geno has always been given the short end of the stick, I say it's best for our mental well-beings to keep looking forward. Sephiroth is a respectable choice (albeit unexpected) and he brings more much needed FF content. We have around 400 people watching us with our gloomy faces right now. We shouldn't stir the fire. I sympathize with you, but negativity and pessimism helps nobody in this thread. Smash bros is what brings us all together, even if we have to wait another turn for a chance.

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman
So TGA's has come and gone, how are we all feeling right now?

Me, I'm still 'eh' that Geno's chances are still moot, but on the other hand, holy CRAP Sephiroth! That's 2 times Smash managed to surprise us with Final Fantasy reps!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Thinking things over a bit more now that the dust has settled. The way I see it, even if Geno doesn't come back as a Mii costume, I don't think that's gonna be a direct confirmation, as suspicious as that would seem after also surviving Hero's Mii costume wave. We've still got to contend with the fact they decided to add Sephiroth for this pass, who if I remember correctly was also part of the Seven Squares leak with Geno. Things still aren't gonna bode well for us then, as we've yet to see a third party double dipping in the same pass.

If they were to announce Fighters Pass Vol. 3 or standalone DLC characters with no extra content attached, his chances would be way higher. As it stands now though, we're in some serious trouble.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Hey, everybody.

So, I saw the Sephiroth trailer live. I think Sephiroth seems like a cool character, and it is kinda nice to have him in. Having him in at the cost of Geno, however, is disappointing. However, I refuse to fully acknowledge Geno's chances are dead. We could have a miracle on the 17th, and Geno could survive the wave. No matter how dark or depressing this path seems...there's always a small chance of a miracle. No matter what, I'm staying in the Geno community. I'm in the Geno fanbase to the end.

I truely think Sephiroth and Geno can coexist. I really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom