• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It could also be a coincidence, seeing as those were the only two sets of spirits that hadn't been permanently brought back to the game yet.

Still, here's hoping that it's a good sign for Geno, and that we get a character announcement (or at least a new spirit event) soon. (though if it is a new spirit event, hopefully it's something relatively harmless as opposed to some kind of gut punch - I'm not sure if post-launch spirit events show that a character won't be included, but it doesn't seem like a great sign)

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I didn't realize that Nintendo Power had 8 SMRPG cards made and that there are even more of these cards that were made in Japan. I just found this out and wanted to share in case others found it interesting. It gives me one more thing I have to hunt down and collect.View attachment 292661
Yo, Geno's Spirit Board lookin' fine! :ultpacman:

QQS

Smash Lord
Who else gets goosebumps when This Version starts to play at 0:08?

8 = DLC # 8

He is here.

I can’t wait to hear the whole new remix by Yoko in this reveal, OMG, that will be insane.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Apparently, not many characters from Spin Off games seem to make it as playables in the Smash Bros. series, if I am not mistaken. If Geno gets in, do you guys think he will open the door for more Spin Off characters becoming playable, since Geno did debut in a Spin Off game?

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I didn't realize that Nintendo Power had 8 SMRPG cards made and that there are even more of these cards that were made in Japan. I just found this out and wanted to share in case others found it interesting. It gives me one more thing I have to hunt down and collect.View attachment 292661
I never even knew these existed. Its always a joy to discover new merchandise for Super Mario RPG 24 years after the game's release. [Also, Jonny is quite an interesting choice for a card and its cool that even he has some sort of merchandise].

D

Deleted member

I appreciate the well wishes in this thread, but I prefer we focus on Geno's rebirthday. if it ever comes

Apparently, not many characters from Spin Off games seem to make it as playables in the Smash Bros. series, if I am not mistaken. If Geno gets in, do you guys think he will open the door for more Spin Off characters becoming playable, since Geno did debut in a Spin Off game?
That depends on what you consider a "spin off". According to this definition shamelessly lifted from Wikipedia:
In media, a spin-off (or spinoff) is a radio program, television program, video game, film, or any narrative work, derived from already existing works that focus on more details and different aspects from the original work (e.g. particular topics, characters or events).
The truest spinoff franchise represented in Smash by this logic is Persona, which is a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei, but it's also fair to say that Yoshi as represented is a spinoff franchise from Mario. To get a little more contentious, every Zelda character in Smash right now hails from a different Zelda title and each could be considered a spinoff from the other.

To be most fair, though, a good amount of the games represented in Smash follow a rather loose canon if any at all, so it's hard to say who qualifies as a spinoff character to another even within a franchise, Mario is exceptionally notorious in this aspect, I would say... but what about Cloud and Hero? Really in the same boat...

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I never even knew these existed. Its always a joy to discover new merchandise for Super Mario RPG 24 years after the game's release. [Also, Jonny is quite an interesting choice for a card and its cool that even he has some sort of merchandise].
Me neither. I'm so excited. If you end up looking for them these 8 English ones are actually pretty reasonable in price but forget about it for the other Japanese ones I didn't see anything below like $300 for them.

I would say yes. I would think if they're a big enough character the door could be open to them thanks to Geno. I think Geno is a very special case in many ways when it comes to Smash and obviously he means a lot to me, but Im not going to fool myself into thinking he's the only deserving character from a spinoff game.

D

Deleted member

I'm happy that the Octopath spirit event is coming back. They're the only spirits I've been missing.

If it means Linkle can get in, I'd take it. Or Impa from either HW1/AoC.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong Country is either a spin-off or sister series of Mario depending on how you look at it, Diddy Kong Racing is a spin-off of DKC and Banjo-Kazooie is a spin-off of DKR, so I don't think they'd restrict a character from appearing in Smash because they're from a spin-off.
alright he said it, not me.

Banjo is a Mario spinoff character.

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong Country is either a spin-off or sister series of Mario depending on how you look at it, Diddy Kong Racing is a spin-off of DKC and Banjo-Kazooie is a spin-off of DKR, so I don't think they'd restrict a character from appearing in Smash because they're from a spin-off.
Hmm, I think Nintendo treats Mario and DK as their very own thing. Mario played as a villain and later has his very own Platforming games. Banjo was never intended to be a DK character. He was in Diddy Kong racing most likely to promote the upcoming game. Same thing with Conker.

Firox

Smash Master
Hmm, I think Nintendo treats Mario and DK as their very own thing. Mario played as a villain and later has his very own Platforming games. Banjo was never intended to be a DK character. He was in Diddy Kong racing most likely to promote the upcoming game. Same thing with Conker.
It's kind of interesting to think about—Mario's first appearance ever was as the protagonist in Donkey Kong (or antagonist if you were rooting for the ape) despite the fact that the game was titled after Donkey himself. It would be like naming a Sonic game "Eggman". That said, Super Mario Bros was made four years after Donkey Kong, so Mario is technically a spin off of Donkey Kong, especially since Mario didn't even get his name (was originally dubbed "Jumpman") until his own game was made.

EDIT: Imagine a parallel universe where Donkey Kong had ended up as the mascot of Nintendo...

"SUPER DONKEY KONG RPG: Legend of the Seven Bananas"

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
It's kind of interesting to think about—Mario's first appearance ever was as the protagonist in Donkey Kong (or antagonist if you were rooting for the ape) despite the fact that the game was titled after Donkey himself. It would be like naming a Sonic game "Eggman". That said, Super Mario Bros was made four years after Donkey Kong, so Mario is technically a spin off of Donkey Kong, especially since Mario didn't even get his name (was originally dubbed "Jumpman") until his own game was made.

EDIT: Imagine a parallel universe where Donkey Kong had ended up as the mascot of Nintendo...

"SUPER DONKEY KONG RPG: Legend of the Seven Bananas"
I had to look it up, but apparently Jumpman got renamed to Mario just a year after the original Donkey Kong, in DK Jr.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
View attachment 292675

Jesus Nintendo... My boss sends out a mass email this morning saying everyone gets the day off tomorrow with full pay meaning I could have been watching a Direct in bed and in my underwear... I both love and LOATHE Nintendo's dedication to secrecy...
In your underwear? You know that is disgusting.

Oh wait; who am I to talk? I'd be doing the same thing, myself! :troll:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
See you all tomorrow.
...I'm confused here?

MattX20

Smash Hero
See you all tomorrow.
That's neither a spirit event nor a tournament

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
...I'm confused here?
Sports Mix is Square Enix developed and has Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters so I assume Para's implying that, along with the Octopath and Paper Mario spirits returning, this means there's going to be something Square and Nintendo related tomorrow.

I mean, I guess we'll see? Idk man lol

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Sports Mix is Square Enix developed and has Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters so I assume Para's implying that, along with the Octopath and Paper Mario spirits returning, this means there's going to be something Square and Nintendo related tomorrow.

I mean, I guess we'll see? Idk man lol
I said that in a joking manner, haha.
But yeah, I just found it interesting.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Mario Sports Mix, hmm. 🤔

looks up wikipedia

Developer = Square Enix
Publisher = Nintendo (duh)

Hmm... wait a minute 👀

flashback

1996; Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Developer = Square (now Square Enix)
Publisher = Nintendo (again, duh)

• Neo TWEWY reveal yesterday coming for the Nintendo Switch and PS4, summer next year.
  • Octopath Traveler (Square Enix), and Paper Mario: The Origami King (Nintendo) spirits being added permanently to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate soon.
  • The Japanese official Super Mario 35th Anniversary twitter just tweeting about Mario Sports Mix's 10th anniversary (a game that was DEVELOPED by Square Enix and PUBLISHED by Nintendo).
Are the... stars finally aligning? Nintendo PLEASE say something before the day is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: In addition to that, still no sign of Square Enix games going up on sale on Nintendo's website. Hmm. 🤔

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
View attachment 292675

Jesus Nintendo... My boss sends out a mass email this morning saying everyone gets the day off tomorrow with full pay meaning I could have been watching a Direct in bed and in my underwear... I both love and LOATHE Nintendo's dedication to secrecy...
I could've been in your bed too man. Nintendo, I am sorely disappointed. :(
Also your fridge is empty. Can you restock before the next direct?
Thanks bro!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I could've been in your bed too man. Nintendo, I am sorely disappointed. :(
Also your fridge is empty. Can you restock before the next direct?
Thanks bro!
/The Geno reveal watch party is just like 30 Geno fans piled on my bed as my wife sits and scowls on the couch in the living room, sending me messages on Facebook messenger every 5 minutes that we need to have a serious talk when everyone leaves

****... You weren't supposed to let everyone know... Now the whole thread will want to be invited...

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
/The Geno reveal watch party is just like 30 Geno fans piled on my bed as my wife sits and scowls on the couch in the living room, sending me messages on Facebook messenger every 5 minutes that we need to have a serious talk when everyone leaves

****... You weren't supposed to let everyone know... Now the whole thread will want to be invited...
Great essay man, at 33 years old myself, you nailed all of my thoughts on Geno. I feel the same way you do about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom