• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
View attachment 292432
I'll need to ask... I know the Fighter's directory got an update about two weeks ago that someone else came into the thread and talked about. Something we have noticed, however, is the site usually gets buggy as hell before reveals so, if things get worse, it may be a sign.
Yea, but what day was it when the site has glitches?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So anyone remember the Giga leak? No? Well, I was going to ask y'all, would it be possible anything Smash Bros. related from any of the games would be on Nintendo's servers or would that just be on Hal or Sora LTD's servers? Because certain Pokemon source codes were in the Giga leak and that's Game Freak's property. I wish the rest of the DLC would get leaked online because I'm tired of playing the waiting game with Nintendo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In other "Nani?!" news, Kirby is getting its first permanent store in Japan on December 3rd.

The Mother store opened this past Monday but will be getting a long term place starting December 6th. Definitely falls in place in the huge Kirby trademark dump that happened in early October.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking about DOOM Eternal, it being confirmed to be a digital release only (for now), and said release being imminent, it does make you wonder "why haven't Id Software, or Bethesda tweeted an announcement specifying when would the game be dropping?" I agree with Fatman that if Id Software ain't telling, nor Bethesda, then most likely Nintendo will do the honors (and from what it seems, it's not going to be in a mere tweet). The game has already released for quite some time for both PS4, XBox One, and PC. Each of those versions also got the DLC update as well. And Nintendo? Well, most likely we could be getting a special version for the Switch including said DLC. This week might be pretty good.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest guys, I really don't like digital downloading and much prefer physical releases over digital. Some people would disagree with me, but that's my opinion.
Nah, I’m one of those people too. Unless it’s an indie game or a game is on sale, I almost never buy digital games. I don’t know how to describe it, but there something so, satisfying about having that sweet game cover on display in your collection, as well has inserting the classic disk/cartridge when playing.
Then again, I was a sucker for game box art when I was little, so maybe that’s why I’m so nostalgic for them.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I'll be honest guys, I really don't like digital downloading and much prefer physical releases over digital. Some people would disagree with me, but that's my opinion.
Oh no im a Hundred Percent agree with you.

PHYSICAL MASTER RACE ALL THE WAY.

I mean i have purchased some digital games, but those tend to be lower price, or i am very restrictive in what games i purchase digitally, mostly being retro legacy games (that you can emulate anyway in case they are never re-released, shh don't tell them), smaller indie titles, and the like.

But a full on priced retail game? nuh huh, that **** goes in my shelves. While Quarantine allowed me to see the benefits of Digital gaming (no need to swap carts or discs, tend to sell cheaper, go on sale and get price cut deals far more often, etc) and allowed me to dip my toes into it with certain games (LOVED Blaster Master Zero 1 and 2, Bug Fables and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, plus KoF 98 and KoF 2000 after Terry's reveal) i still prefer Physical Gaming, why?

Mr Enter's Technocracy episode of Digital Distribution, The Geek Critique's Five Lost Games video, and Razorfist's Case for Physical Media video, all show why.

For me it's not about satisfaction, it's about security for lack of a better word. For me, no convenience will make me prefer Digital when i know Physical is owned by ME, and will always stay that way unless my Switch Cart ****ing explodes or something.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh no im a Hundred Percent agree with you.

PHYSICAL MASTER RACE ALL THE WAY.

I mean i have purchased some digital games, but those tend to be lower price, or i am very restrictive in what games i purchase digitally, mostly being retro legacy games (that you can emulate anyway in case they are never re-released, shh don't tell them), smaller indie titles, and the like.

But a full on priced retail game? nuh huh, that **** goes in my shelves. While Quarantine allowed me to see the benefits of Digital gaming (no need to swap carts or discs, tend to sell cheaper, go on sale and get price cut deals far more often, etc) and allowed me to dip my toes into it with certain games (LOVED Blaster Master Zero 1 and 2, Bug Fables and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, plus KoF 98 and KoF 2000 after Terry's reveal) i still prefer Physical Gaming, why?

Mr Enter's Technocracy episode of Digital Distribution, The Geek Critique's Five Lost Games video, and Razorfist's Case for Physical Media video, all show why.
You ever heard of Limited Run Games? If you haven't, you will love them as they release limited physical copies of Indie games and remastered classics. But I would get them when they come out on the site as the pre-order window won't be open forever especially for the exclusive Collector's Editions they have on the site. Oh I forgot to mention they have manuels too.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
You ever heard of Limited Run Games? If you haven't, you will love them as they release limited physical copies of Indie games and remastered classics. But I would get them when they come out on the site as the pre-order window won't be open forever especially for the exclusive Collector's Editions they have on the site. Oh I forgot to mention they have manuels too.
Here's the thing: I live in Chile. and for all i know, Limited Run games seems to operate almost exclusively in the United States. It's already bad that i haven't seen some games arrive in here, (i NEVER saw a copy of Ghostbusters the Game: Remastered on Switch in my local game stores, even though that game was released WORLDWIDE, and i DID saw its PS4 version on shelves) for whatever reason, and i have never seen a Limited Run physical copy in my stores from what i can recall.

And no, i don't import games. I don't like buying stuff online in general.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here's the thing: I live in Chile. and for all i know, Limited Run games seems to operate almost exclusively in the United States. It's already bad that i haven't seen some games arrive in here, (i NEVER saw a copy of Ghostbusters the Game: Remastered on Switch in my local game stores, even though that game was released WORLDWIDE, and i DID saw its PS4 version on shelves) for whatever reason, and i have never seen a Limited Run physical copy in my stores from what i can recall.

And no, i don't import games. I don't like buying stuff online in general.
Well, sorry to hear that. I know Walmart and Best Buy will have copies of the more popular Limited Run releases like any new Shantae games, Hat In Time, ect. But that's very few you will see in stores outside of online.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What are your guys’ thoughts on the Smash Boards “Geno in Smash” analysis? I’ve been enjoying those articles very much. After reading them, it just feels so right!
Haven't gotten around to it just because most thoughtful analysis of Geno usually results in vitriol in the comment section that make you want to lie down in a dark room for a few hours.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Haven't gotten around to it just because most thoughtful analysis of Geno usually results in vitriol in the comment section that make you want to lie down in a dark room for a few hours.
I just read through the whole thing and the comment section didn't really have any negativity at all.

Overall I'd say I enjoyed it.
There were a few things that I didn't agree with, but it was mostly just due to personal preference rather than any actual issues.

In particular, the power boost he gets from staying above 25% FP makes sense given the playstyle, but it's so small that it just seems superfluous.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Mike Jones, Startropics I and II. Underrated NES games. They did Zelda in a better way on NES IMO, but then the franchise died there.

I guess Geno surpasses him in my book because his moveset would be very similar to Ness’, but it’s a franchise I’d love to see be rebooted.
I am posting in this thread for the first time in a while just to say Star tropics is amazing and everybody should play it. It is probably legitimately Nintendo's best actually obscure retro IP.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Dang we talkin' about StarTropics now? Some people here have good taste. #PlayStarTropics #GiveJapanStarTropics #MikeJones4Smash
But seriously though, at this point I want Mike Jones more than Geno and that is quite the achievement considering I've been wanting Geno since the Brawl days. Please play StarTropics on NSO, at least give it a shot.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
The comments section is actually positive so far, but I wouldn’t let it stop you from checking it out.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Quoting the professional:
Always this way.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Yeah in all honesty, this is objectively the most likely outcome of we seriously take the time to impartially look at the facts although I wouldn't completely rule out VGAs even if that is partially because the pessimism in me is still paying attention to that Fortnite rumour

If we look at it this way, we aren't getting the next character this month. I was saying it was the closest thing to an impossibility to begin with and we are now very close to the end of the month so that completely crosses off this month. Honestly isn't happening. Then we have December all through to the VGAs as unless it's announced beforehand,a presentation of any kind after VGAs isn't going to be shadowdropped. Since VGAs are digital this year, they could just air their own presentation but in case it is something like Fortnite and want to show it to a pre established audience then VGAs would be the way to go
if The next character isn’t revealed at the game awards then it kind of narrows things down a bit.
Obviously if a character is to be revealed at the game awards then the character must be popular to the audience and well known to everyone. If it’s not revealed there then the chances are we’re looking at the next Character being from either

a game series or game that’s not very popular

a hated series such as pokemon or fire emblem

or a character with a sword since Nintendo and sakurai are away of the “too many swordsman” situation.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
if The next character isn’t revealed at the game awards then it kind of narrows things down a bit.
Obviously if a character is to be revealed at the game awards then the character must be popular to the audience and well known to everyone. If it’s not revealed there then the chances are we’re looking at the next Character being from either

or a character with a sword since Nintendo and sakurai are away of the “too many swordsman” situation.
Sure, Nintendo would cancel the plans for FP8 revealing at the Game Awards only because said fighter uses a sword.
I mean I can somewhat understand the other 2 points, but this one doesn't make any sense in my head.

Also, it's not like a lot of popular names in speculation aren't characters that use a sword or at least, have swords as a parte of their arsenal. Sora, Hayabusa, Dante, Rex...

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So anyone remember the Giga leak? No? Well, I was going to ask y'all, would it be possible anything Smash Bros. related from any of the games would be on Nintendo's servers or would that just be on Hal or Sora LTD's servers? Because certain Pokemon source codes were in the Giga leak and that's Game Freak's property. I wish the rest of the DLC would get leaked online because I'm tired of playing the waiting game with Nintendo.
I think its possible, but I'm not sure if the Switch would be leaked in time before all the DLC are released. As far as I'm concerned, they are still on N64 games so I think it could take years until we get some Switch source code stuff.
Also, I agree. When I buy physically, it feels like I actually have a genuine Switch collection.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord

...No.

mate, this is ass-backwards logic.

I honestly can’t even tell if you’re genuinely serious or trolling

There is nothing that states that Game Awards reveals have to be these grandiose showstoppers, nor is there anything that states they are “disappointing anime swordman!!!1” if they aren’t revealed at TGA.

Do you guys just forget that Imran Khan has flat out said that Byleth was originally going to be a December release? Three Houses also won tons of awards last year. Like it or not, there’s a very strong chance that Byleth was going to be at TGA last year, their trailer doesn’t even feel like a standard Smash reveal, but rather some type of fakeout. Additionally, get this, most of the TGA crowd would’ve liked Byleth. They aren’t as petty as Smash centric fans at all. And this is coming from someone who’s confidence in FP2 nosedived after the Byleth reveal.

Also, i’m going to break some news for you all that might be a bit of a rude awakening

There is not going to be a TGA reveal this year.

If we don’t get something super soon, expect to wait until January.

Why does this need to be said? Do you really think they are going to suddenly want to do a TGA reveal again, digital only, when they pretty much conditioned fans not to expect Smash from the show, during a year where it was STILL a live event? They gain less from showing a character at TGA this year than they do in their own dedicated presentation. There is no longer any live audience due to the pandemic.

I don’t even know why this is a bad thing, considering if we DID get a TGA reveal, Geno seems very unlikely to be a character that would be revealed there. Again, there are no rules for who can’t and can be at TGA, but, here’s a little truth bomb, much less people who view the show would know who Geno is compared to who Byleth is. Geno is a hardcore-fanbase centric request.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
...No.

mate, this is ass-backwards logic.

I honestly can’t even tell if you’re genuinely serious or trolling

There is nothing that states that Game Awards reveals have to be these grandiose showstoppers, nor is there anything that states they are “disappointing anime swordman!!!1” if they aren’t revealed at TGA.

Do you guys just forget that Imran Khan has flat out said that Byleth was originally going to be a December release? Three Houses also won tons of awards last year. Like it or not, there’s a very strong chance that Byleth was going to be at TGA last year, their trailer doesn’t even feel like a standard Smash reveal, but rather some type of fakeout. Additionally, get this, most of the TGA crowd would’ve liked Byleth. They aren’t as petty as Smash centric fans at all. And this is coming from someone who’s confidence in FP2 nosedived after the Byleth reveal.

Also, i’m going to break some news for you all that might be a bit of a rude awakening

There is not going to be a TGA reveal this year.

If we don’t get something super soon, expect to wait until January.

Why does this need to be said? Do you really think they are going to suddenly want to do a TGA reveal again, digital only, when they pretty much conditioned fans not to expect Smash from the show, during a year where it was STILL a live event? They gain less from showing a character at TGA this year than they do in their own dedicated presentation. There is no longer any live audience due to the pandemic.

I don’t even know why this is a bad thing, considering if we DID get a TGA reveal, Geno seems very unlikely to be a character that would be revealed there. Again, there are no rules for who can’t and can be at TGA, but, here’s a little truth bomb, much less people who view the show would know who Geno is compared to who Byleth is. Geno is a hardcore-fanbase centric request.
i never said we were going to get a smash reveal at the game awards. I don’t see it Halle. And I’ve even said this multiple times I. Other posts. I said IF. Also just because imran came out and said byleth Was supposed to be an December reveal it doesn’t mean btelethon was gonna be a game awards reveal.

also I never stated it was a fact. I just gave my personal opinion on who could get revealed if there was a game awards reveal.

no need to be so rude about the post I made. You have your views and I have mine.

I personally see it as if Nintendo were gonna reveal a character at the game awards it would be someone popular within the audience considering it’s not just NINTENDO fans who watch the game awards. It’s also XBOX and PLAYSTATION fans so they’re gonna wanna use it as a chance to bring in other fans. You may disagree but there’s no need for rudeness

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with Star. The clock is ticking. We have this week and next week. The week of the VGAs is off the table. Nintendo full on respected TGS so they're not going to try to steal its thunder. The week after is very slim possibility and the week after that would have to be a full on Christmas Miracle. On top of this, whereas November has had a perfect record the last 8 years, the last major global presentation was the final Smash 4 one in 2015 and the last global general Direct was 2013... Oof...Not impossible but not looking great.

On the upside, as Star also brought up, Byleth was supposed to be a December reveal and release. Looking at Smash reveal history since 2013, November has had 5 and December has had 4 but would have had 5 if Byleth hadn't been delayed. On this note, if we get screwed out of a general presentation, a Smash reveal could still definitely happen but it would be like, well, all the other 2020 reveals.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
While I do agree with the point regarding how the digital only aspect of TGA this year factors heavily into the "why wouldn't Nintendo just show it off during their own digital presentation?" train of thought, I dont see how the conditioning point stands. We had one ultimate reveal at TGA 2018, and supposedly one at 2019. Supposedly joker was not planned super far in advance, and supposedly byleth was delayed and you could interpret her trailer to have been intended.

There isnt some super strong correlation between TGA and a smash reveal in my eyes. There has been no conditioning one way or the other. If there is a TGA reveal despite the fact Ultimate has no reason to be there, I'd be surprised. That's all. I wouldn't use it as fuel for my own snobby speculation.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
i never said we were going to get a smash reveal at the game awards. I don’t see it Halle. And I’ve even said this multiple times I. Other posts. I said IF. Also just because imran came out and said byleth Was supposed to be an December reveal it doesn’t mean btelethon was gonna be a game awards reveal.

also I never stated it was a fact. I just gave my personal opinion on who could get revealed if there was a game awards reveal.

no need to be so rude about the post I made. You have your views and I have mine.

I personally see it as if Nintendo were gonna reveal a character at the game awards it would be someone popular within the audience considering it’s not just NINTENDO fans who watch the game awards. It’s also XBOX and PLAYSTATION fans so they’re gonna wanna use it as a chance to bring in other fans. You may disagree but there’s no need for rudeness
I mean, i’m sorry if I came off as rude, but I really can’t respect a take along the lines of “if it’s not revealed at TGA soon, then it’s a disappointing, Byleth-tier anime swordsman”. That just sounds extraordinarily petty.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I mean, i’m sorry if I came off as rude, but I really can’t respect a take along the lines of “if it’s not revealed at TGA soon, then it’s a disappointing, Byleth-tier anime swordsman”. That just sounds extraordinarily petty.
dude I never said if it’s not revealed at the TGA’s then it’s disappointing.

I never said that once. I said it’s more likely that the character would be a less known character or comes from a series with controversy surrounding it or even another character who wields a sword if it’s not a reveal at theTGA’s.

not once did I say the character would be disappointing. It actually annoying that you took what I said and changed it to sound like I implied something negative.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
dude I never said if it’s not revealed at the TGA’s then it’s disappointing.

I never said that once. I said it’s more likely that the character would be a less known character or comes from a series with controversy surrounding it or even another character who wields a sword if it’s not a reveal at theTGA’s.

not once did I say the character would be disappointing. It actually annoying that you took what I said and changed it to sound like I implied something negative.
Straight from your post

“If it’s not revealed there then the chances are we’re looking at the next Character being from either

or a character with a sword since Nintendo and sakurai are away of the “too many swordsman” situation.”

Oh boy, it’s time for me to pull out that image again, huh. Here goes nothing.

88A1973F-ADD9-4124-99D0-CCA5DABD0358.jpeg

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Dang we talkin' about StarTropics now? Some people here have good taste. #PlayStarTropics #GiveJapanStarTropics #MikeJones4Smash
I think out of all the retro Nintendo characters, Mike Jones is one of the ones I most want to see make it into Smash, right up there with Takamaru, Mach Rider, Wart and Eggplant Wizard. (Also, does Isaac count as a retro Nintendo character?)

Please play StarTropics on NSO, at least give it a shot.
I played through a bit of it through NSO. It's alright. I got up to the graveyard in Chapter 4 and stopped playing not too long after, though I'll probably try and get back into it soon. It's pretty solid for the most part, but my god does it get real crypic real fast. Not only did I have no idea how to use the crystal, I had no idea there was even an inventory menu to select it from. Also not a fan of the grid based movement system, though I hear ST2 fixes that.

And I guess since we're talking old NES games, I'd reccommend people play Crystalis. It's a really solid action RPG from back when games like that were in it's infancy. It's a little difficult and you'll have to switch swords a lot to get through, though, so keep that in mind.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Straight from your post

“If it’s not revealed there then the chances are we’re looking at the next Character being from either

or a character with a sword since Nintendo and sakurai are away of the “too many swordsman” situation.”

Oh boy, it’s time for me to pull out that image again, huh. Here goes nothing.

View attachment 292477
first Of all “a game series or game that is not very popular” doesn’t imply or mean bad at all. Once again your just taking what I said and making it out to be negative.

for example I’ll use professor Layton as an example since he’s one of my favourites. His series isn’t as popular as other series. Is he a bad pick though??? NO he’s not. Just because he’s from a not as popular series it doesn’t mean the character is a terrible pick

2nd of all “a hated series such as pokemon or fire emblem” doesn’t imply a bad character pick at all. If you were to say to people “ pokemon is getting another rep” tons would instantly say they don’t want that. However a pokemon rep isn’t bad. It’s a good pick. Once again what I said doesn’t imply a bad pick and it’s just you taking my words wrong.

3rd of all “or a character with a sword since Nintendo and sakurai are aware of the “too many swordsman” situation” doesn’t imply a bad pick.

there’s tons out there that wield a sword as part of their moveset. I never said a swordsman would be a bad pick. I just said that they wouldn’t probably show a swordsman of at the TGA’s because of the previous backlash.

once Again your taking what I said and making it sound negative when it’s not.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I’m not taking your words wrong, lolol. You’re making arbitrary distinctions out of what you’ve said just to make it seem like you didn’t actually mean them. Quite frankly i’m done with this discussion because you’re making it abundantly clear you aren’t willing to change your stance, and it’s just as immature as the original take was.

“It will be a bad character if it’s not revealed at TGA!!” Is no different from “It will be a character that is definitely hated or Unpopular BUTWAITIDONTMEANBAD-“. Both takes are equally silly.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I agree with Star. The clock is ticking. We have this week and next week. The week of the VGAs is off the table. Nintendo full on respected TGS so they're not going to try to steal its thunder. The week after is very slim possibility and the week after that would have to be a full on Christmas Miracle. On top of this, whereas November has had a perfect record the last 8 years, the last major global presentation was the final Smash 4 one in 2015 and the last global general Direct was 2013... Oof...Not impossible but not looking great.

On the upside, as Star also brought up, Byleth was supposed to be a December reveal and release. Looking at Smash reveal history since 2013, November has had 5 and December has had 4 but would have had 5 if Byleth hadn't been delayed. On this note, if we get screwed out of a general presentation, a Smash reveal could still definitely happen but it would be like, well, all the other 2020 reveals.
Plus, we do have history of Cloud as a December Release, so the idea of a December DLC release isn't entirely out of the question either. Granted, he was revealed in November, but it's not impossible to potentially see a December reveal/release

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

I disagree with this sentiment. I feel like a character like Geno has much more higher chances being revealed outside of TGA because while Geno is a highly requested character, the TGA is targeted moreso towards the casual gaming market and a lot of people would probably have no clue who Geno even is.

Also, I know you didn't mean to come off as calling these characters bad, but I think at the very least you could have worded your post better because that is the vibe you're getting from people.

Reactions: QQS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom