• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Nothing. The guy is making a prediction based on industry experience. It’s not inside information
I did not say it was. No need for us to learn his profile data anyway.

Also, in terms of the SKUs, if they are not for a Direct, maybe they are for third party games instead of any first party games? I mean, there may not be a direct link between them, but I can’t see a Direct happening if those SKUs are all third party and there are no first party games. It wouldn’t be impossible to do otherwise, but I think some of those games have to be first party games to make a Direct at least more likely, in my opinion. Just saying.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Is it just me or is Lloyd Irving not that popular as people make him out to be? Obviously, I don’t know for sure HOW much Lloyd is requested. Lloyd has a fanbase for sure, but I doubt he is really a HIGHLY requested character. Barely saw the dude on polls. I don’t remember any social media buzz like Banjo, Geno, and Sora. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lloyd is a Mii costume because I don’t think he’s that comparable. I think he’s obviously not that comparable to Geno.
Lloyd is a pretty popular request in Japan. The Tales series is big over there.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh yeah, I see. But isn’t Lloyd a more western centric tales character or is it both? Would Japan request someone like Yuri for Smash?
You look up Japanese polls Lloyd is always in the top 5 Smash requests. Yuri I heard was so popular they banned him from the polls, but I don't know if that's true. I still see Lloyd more than Yuri on Japanese polls as of recently.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I see. But isn’t Lloyd a more western centric tales character or is it both? Would Japan request someone like Yuri for Smash?
Lloyd still wins if we go by Smash demand, even in Japan; but there's definitely a bigger presence of Yuri and Cless there in terms of Smash so it's closer. If we go by Tales popularity, Yuri wins easily.

That said, oddly enough Tales isn't a SUPER requested series in Japan for whatever reason, despite being a huge RPG series over there.

You look up Japanese polls Lloyd is always in the top 5 Smash requests. Yuri I heard was so popular they banned him from the polls, but I don't know if that's true. I still see Lloyd more than Yuri on Japanese polls as of recently.
Source? In most JP polls a Tales character isn't even in the top 10 as far as I know. Really the only list I saw Lloyd place higher than that was one that turned out to be false AFAIK (Lloyd was #1 there).

I've said it before, but some people like to point out that they're not murdering fan favorites with costumes quite as much this time... but if you ask me, they're starting to run out of costumes that won't. Travis could easily be a bad omen.
Smash Ultimate has probably exceeded the amount of fan-favorites/big series costumed compared to Smash 4 already. In terms of "realistic" choices at least. Smash 4 costumed Heihachi, Inkling, K. Rool, Lloyd, Geno and Monster Hunter. I don't think it was realistic to expect Chrom, and Takamaru to be playable as DLC characters (Chrom and Takamaru were dead already). There were probably people asking for Zero/X or Knuckles/Tails, but still I wouldn't say they were super demanded or anything.

Smash Ultimate has costumed Rex, Sans, Altair (not a fan-favorite, but a huge series), Cuphead (did have some demand), Heihachi, Vault Boy (same as Altair), and Travis as DLC; and we can probably expect some more "fan favorites" to get costumed as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Lloyd still wins if we go by Smash demand, even in Japan; but there's definitely a bigger presence of Yuri and Cless there in terms of Smash so it's closer. If we go by Tales popularity, Yuri wins easily.

That said, oddly enough Tales isn't a SUPER requested series in Japan for whatever reason, despite being a huge RPG series over there.

Source? In most JP polls a Tales character isn't even in the top 10 as far as I know. Really the only list I saw Lloyd place higher than that was one that turned out to be false AFAIK (Lloyd was #1 there).
I don't have a source, but any Youtube video I've seen showing the top results in Japanese polls has Lloyd around in the top 5 as of recent.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yuri was taken off of the polls along with Leon in Offical Tales specific popularity polls Because they kept winning

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Did a quick check, out of the 16 presentations Nintendo has done this year (not counting the Chinese Ring Fit Adventure one) only 3 were in the first half of the month, The January Pokemon Direct, the Mario Direct, and Steve's Presentation, the rest were all past the mid-point. If anything with how this year has been it seems more likely for a major presentation to happen in the 2nd half of the month.

With how Partner Showcases were shelved last month I do genuinely wonder if they had plans for one in November but pivoted towards making it a mini direct instead. Yea, I said mini, I still don't think Nintendo is quite confident enough to do a major 2021 dump of news. Something around 20-30 minutes that reveals what Bowser's Fury is, an update on Snap, gets a majority of the leftover third-party stuff out of the way, and has one or two major first party announcements for early 2021. I guess Smash would be possible but we don't even know if there actually is a presentation coming, even if the Doom Eternal situation heavily implies it.
THat's kinda what I thought when October started and the Pro rumors started brewing: While I was always on the camp of a Normal Direct (and still wouldn't be surprised if we got one), I feel it would be on the shorter side (20 to 25 minutes at most). The only reason I think it wouldn't be a Mini (in name) was because they would need to livestream it if a full blown Smash reveal was shown.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A Mini Direct honestly wouldn't be bad. Even the dog**** July Partner Showcase had a lot of content for its time. I wrote down the content per minute for a couple of them but I'll have to try to find it again. I know the August Indie Direct averaged more than a game a minute and that one was only roughly 20 minutes. Even a 10-15 mini Direct could be a total blowout if they manage their time like all the others.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Lloyd, Geno, and a Monster Hunter rep are still possible in my eyes. I highly doubt we get more than one IF that, yet I boarded the geno train regardless. Banking on more square dlc simply due to the fact they were the last new spirits other than Paper Mario TOK and Minecraft.

Putting the tinfoil hat on here, but somehow it makes some sense to me that Steve was pushed up merely to meet a deadline, and that whoever CP8 is both an easier workload to implement and doesnt have as static a deadline.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, I don't think we are ever getting full general Direct ever again. I mean, the last full general Direct we had was in September of 2019.
I mean, I'm a pessimist when it comes to getting a Direct this month but I'm not THAT pessimistic. I highly doubt Nintendo is gonna drop Directs. I'm sure the reason why we haven't gotten one in such a long time is just because of COVID. I'm sure at least when the virus blows over we'll be back to getting Directs.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Did a quick check, out of the 16 presentations Nintendo has done this year (not counting the Chinese Ring Fit Adventure one) only 3 were in the first half of the month, The January Pokemon Direct, the Mario Direct, and Steve's Presentation, the rest were all past the mid-point. If anything with how this year has been it seems more likely for a major presentation to happen in the 2nd half of the month.

With how Partner Showcases were shelved last month I do genuinely wonder if they had plans for one in November but pivoted towards making it a mini direct instead. Yea, I said mini, I still don't think Nintendo is quite confident enough to do a major 2021 dump of news. Something around 20-30 minutes that reveals what Bowser's Fury is, an update on Snap, gets a majority of the leftover third-party stuff out of the way, and has one or two major first party announcements for early 2021. I guess Smash would be possible but we don't even know if there actually is a presentation coming, even if the Doom Eternal situation heavily implies it.
Yeah, I agree with you. I think it's too early for a full blown Nintendo Direct (for Nintendo, not for us), and if we do have a presentation in the coming days it'll probably just end up being a proper mini that'll mainly cover up Nintendo's titles up till the end of the fiscal year (March 2021). We could expect a couple first party titles. And the rest could be stuffed for smaller games/trailers for 3rd parties like Doom Eternal, SMT 5, RF 5, MH Rise, new stuff, etc. That said, I'm not 100% sold on there being a direct soon, but who knows?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, we still could get something, I think. It would probably have to be before the VGA due to December having Christmas and all that, but I think whatever we get, getting it is possible.

Reactions: QQS

MattX20

Smash Hero
A Mini Direct honestly wouldn't be bad. Even the dog**** July Partner Showcase had a lot of content for its time. I wrote down the content per minute for a couple of them but I'll have to try to find it again. I know the August Indie Direct averaged more than a game a minute and that one was only roughly 20 minutes. Even a 10-15 mini Direct could be a total blowout if they manage their time like all the others.
A Mini Direct is certainly more likely than a full blown one, so it could happen next week or in early December to round off the year

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I mean,... do you guys really want a Mini? It's like, bad in all scenarios in terms of a Geno reveal

1. It would indicate no Smash reveal at all (wait until January)
2. It would have a Smash reveal, but it would be a lame, guess who game similar to Arms with an underwhelming series choice to boot, meaning Geno also isn't 8
3. Absolute best case scenario, it has a Geno reveal, but the surprise is heavily spoiled on twitter and you lose out on priceless reactions that you would've gotten as in Ridley/Rool/BK

Of course, they could solve that third problem by simply announcing the Mini Direct in advance, but, I would expect Nintendo to be as tone deaf as to announce the extremely underwhelming July Partner Mini and then shadowdrop a first party focused Mini Direct. I wouldn't really give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright, just for information's sake, this is why we're not totally bonezoned if we wind up with a Mini Direct:

Spring Indie Direct: 21 games 19 minutes

March Mini: 29 games (1 Collection) 29 minutes

July Partner Showcase: 5 games 8 minutes

August Indie Showcase: 24 games, 23 minutes

August Partner Showcase: 9 games (1 collection) 12 minutes

Mario Direct: 6 games (2 collections) 12 minutes (16 full run time but last 4 is just a Mario retrospective)

September Partner Showcase: 12 games, 16 minutes

October Partner Showcase: 14 games (NA,EU presentation), 18 games (Japanese presentation) 19 minutes

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean,... do you guys really want a Mini? It's like, bad in all scenarios in terms of a Geno reveal

1. It would indicate no Smash reveal at all (wait until January)
2. It would have a Smash reveal, but it would be a lame, guess who game similar to Arms with an underwhelming series choice to boot, meaning Geno also isn't 8
3. Absolute best case scenario, it has a Geno reveal, but the surprise is heavily spoiled on twitter and you lose out on priceless reactions that you would've gotten as in Ridley/Rool/BK

Of course, they could solve that third problem by simply announcing the Mini Direct in advance, but, I would expect Nintendo to be as tone deaf as to announce the extremely underwhelming July Partner Mini and then shadowdrop a first party focused Mini Direct. I wouldn't really give them the benefit of the doubt here.
I am personally fine with whatever comes our way, as long as we get a Smash reveal.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't really care if Geno's reveal gets spoiled beforehand. Since that'd still mean he's in, of course. I rarely ever watch reveals as they happen anyway, so I'd just wake up to a video titled 'Mr. Sakurai Presents Geno' even if it was kept secret until the video itself.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237

StarLight42

Smash Lord

👀👀👀
Oooooh... first time they’ve mentioned it iirc. Well, that deconfirms that little assumption that Square wasn’t allowing them to post about it.

Still, it doesn’t have it’s own dedicated tweet yet on the 35th Anniversary Twitter, I think most of the other RPGs have gotten a quick spotlight at this point

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Still, it doesn’t have it’s own dedicated tweet yet on the 35th Anniversary Twitter, I think most of the other RPGs have gotten a quick spotlight at this point
Well, that's the exciting part; this tweet (celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Super Famicom) confirms they'll cover it on the account eventually, but they haven't yet. Still have a hunch it'll happen after Geno's Smash reveal.

In terms of Mario RPGs, the account has already covered Paper Mario, Superstar Saga (and Superstar Saga+ Bowser's Minions), Super Paper Mario and Color Splash; still a lot left to go.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

👀👀👀
I sure do love the fact that Super Mario RPG is such a black sheep to both companies that either so much as ACKNOWLEDGING THE GAME EXISTS can be considered a major event. Uhhhg.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It kind of makes me wonder if Nintendo is just going to retire the old format of Directs. Like, okay, check it:

Spring 2019 Direct: 28 games, 38 minutes

E3 2019 Direct: 38 games,43 minutes

Fall 2019 Direct: 14 games, 39 minutes

The time format has gotten tighter and I'm willing to bet 2018's game to run time ratio is even wider. I dunno. I'll happily take 15 games in 15 minutes compared to 15 games in 40 minutes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
These next two weeks are going to be..something. I'm not sure whether they'll be promising or not, but we'll have to wait and see

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Time to pray for either a Tuesday, or gasp the unthinkably mad-lad Thursday Nintendo Direct. 🙏 Press Y to charge star power. :starman::starman::starman:
  • TWEWY countdown site coming to day zero on Sunday (or Monday I think)
  • DOOM Eternal Switch version news confirmed coming later this month (most likely, next week)
  • NSO Library update still M.I.A. (maybe... next week?)
  • Random 3DS network maintenance on Tuesday, November 24th.
  • Titles that got their SKU's leaked maybe getting officially announced next week...?
  • All other events/information discussed in prior posts by fellow board members.
Time to do like Geppetto and wish upon a star; have a blue fairy ...
blue fairy... guys... instantaneous tinfoil hat speculation
Rosalina (albeit her gown is more of a turquoise) kinda parallels a fairy (the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio, who brought the doll to life, and would eventually turn him into a real boy). 👀

Both the Blue Fairy and Rosalina's wands are very similar, as both have a star at the end. Ok, enough of that but dang what a thing to realize just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom