• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Bethesda: "Doom Slayer is NOT coming to Smash! He's not, he's not, he's not!"

Nintendo Direct: "Doom Slayer is coming Smash!"

Bethesda: ".....didn't see that one coming, did ya?"
At this point, I can very easily see a Direct or presentation of some sort announcing Doom, then a "surprise" ending with him being announced as the next Smash DLC character, with a "Sakurai will tell you more about him at a later date" thing. It achieves the goal of getting Smash fans to Doom, and Doom fans to Smash. Boost both at the same time, especially while people are still going to be holed up with rising COVID cases (not to make things political).

In which case, I'm sure you know where it all goes from there on this forum...

Don't forget that this is Bethesda, creators of the critically acclaimed "The Elder Scrolls" franchise. On one hand, I was going to just leave this joke at that implication that they have no quality employees, but when I start to stack the books with how many times they've gotten away with murder in the past few years, we might have an argument that their PR people are the best in the business.

However, much more information could easily be shared at The Game Awards and we could equally easily be looking at absolutely nothing coming from Nintendo.
100%. I'm not saying it means Direct specifically...just something that could be akin to a Direct. A TGA presentation would fit that bill. All I'm saying is that the language of the statement indicates something other than a simple release date is coming. Unless they're employing sub-par PR people.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Been lurking these forums for quite awhile now, and I've got to say the Bethesda statement with the "much more information coming later this month" tag is the biggest indicator of a Direct of some sort coming soon. I work in PR (and have for video game companies), and the only reason you don't diffuse that situation with a consumer-calming release date is if you have a plan already scheduled, or a deal to let someone else do it for you. IE: Direct.

EDIT: The word much is also key here. Every word in a PR statement is carefully crafted. If it's just a release date being announced later this month, you leave out the word "much" and just say "more information coming." So "much" should mean, if Bethesda's PR people are good PR people, something similar to what would be seen in a Direct.
Would you care to show your credentials in private? Despite it being a weird thing to lie on the internet about, it would be nice to have your back if you're actually a professional who came here to give your insight on all this.

Add in: we could do this through a neutral party like a moderator or admin if you'd prefer and feel safer that way.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Been lurking these forums for quite awhile now, and I've got to say the Bethesda statement with the "much more information coming later this month" tag is the biggest indicator of a Direct of some sort coming soon. I work in PR (and have for video game companies), and the only reason you don't diffuse that situation with a consumer-calming release date is if you have a plan already scheduled, or a deal to let someone else do it for you. IE: Direct.

EDIT: The word much is also key here. Every word in a PR statement is carefully crafted. If it's just a release date being announced later this month, you leave out the word "much" and just say "more information coming." So "much" should mean, if Bethesda's PR people are good PR people, something similar to what would be seen in a Direct.
Interesting observation. Also, it's nice to see lurkers join in the discussion. Here, have a Geno hat:
Hat time.png

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Would you care to show your credentials in private? Despite it being a weird thing to lie on the internet about, it would be nice to have your back if you're actually a professional who came here to give your insight on all this.

Add in: we could do this through a neutral party like a moderator or admin if you'd prefer and feel safer that way.
Not sure how to do this but if there’s someway to message me here, I could. I freelanced for a company that does press releases, and most of what I did was automotive companies and local small businesses. But of those small businesses, there were some smaller developers I would proof and provide edits for.

Now I work full time in News radio on the other end of PR (receiving releases and sifting through the BS to get to the meat), but I fully understand the PR game. Went to school for it.

Also full disclosure, I very much want Geno in this game. Hence the lurking.

StarLight42

Smash Lord

Here’s the thing, i’m curious if you just mean it indicates a hefty news dump in some form, or if it really does point to a NintendoDirect in particular. I’m suspecting you meant the former, but just making sure.

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Well, we're not talking about Nintendo here, so they should be good.
I actually don’t think Nintendo is horrible at PR. Minimalism can be a powerful thing when it comes to what they share. Doesn’t mean they’ve made mistakes along the way though. But often times, less is more if you have nothing to provide people, which during COVID I imagine is the case. It’s not easy to churn out a lot of content during this mess, and they probably aren’t keeping up with what they hoped to.

If you don’t have good news, then the strategy is either deflection or no news. Nintendo does the latter.

Here’s the thing, i’m curious if you just mean it indicates a hefty news dump in some form, or if it really does point to a NintendoDirect in particular. I’m suspecting you meant the former, but just making sure.
To me it just says they have something planned other than an announcement of a release date. Whether that’s being part of a Direct or presentation at TGA or their own presentation on social media, they worded it in a way to where if all they provide later this month is a release date, they oversold their audience. Which is a sin in that world, especially when the statement is a response to a negative story (cancellations, AKA loss of revenue).

Which is possible if their PR people aren’t great at their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not sure how to do this but if there’s someway to message me here, I could. I freelanced for a company that does press releases, and most of what I did was automotive companies and local small businesses. But of those small businesses, there were some smaller developers I would proof and provide edits for.

Now I work full time in News radio on the other end of PR (receiving releases and sifting through the BS to get to the meat), but I fully understand the PR game. Went to school for it.

Also full disclosure, I very much want Geno in this game. Hence the lurking.
Sent you a PM. If you're credible, I want to do what I can be like "this guy knows what he's talking about" so that GameFAQs people doesn't whine and cry if your prediction doesn't pan out.

D

Deleted member

To me it just says they have something planned other than an announcement of a release date. Whether that’s being part of a Direct or presentation at TGA or their own presentation on social media, they worded it in a way to where if all they provide later this month is a release date, they oversold their audience. Which is a sin in that world, especially when the statement is a response to a negative story (cancellations, AKA loss of revenue).

Which is possible if their PR people aren’t great at their jobs.
So PR man, if you have an opinion on it, what do you think GameStop's handling of the "That's why everyone was freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash" video? Since you said you were lurking, I'm just running on an assumption that you were lurking back in July when that nonsense occurred.

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
So PR man, if you have an opinion on it, what do you think GameStop's handling of the "That's why everyone was freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash" video? Since you said you were lurking, I'm just running on an assumption that you were lurking back in July when that nonsense occurred.
Yeah I lurked then. What did GameStop do after that happened? I didn’t see that conclusion. I think if it was me I would just delete the video and not say anything. But honestly, in that scenario, Nintendo is calling the shots, since GameStop was either running with sensitive information or wildly misreading spirit vs. playable character. Nintendo 99.9% dictated to GameStop “this is what you do, this is what you say.”

D

Deleted member

Yeah I lurked then. What did GameStop do after that happened? I didn’t see that conclusion. I think if it was me I would just delete the video and not say anything. But honestly, in that scenario, Nintendo is calling the shots, since GameStop was either running with sensitive information or wildly misreading spirit vs. playable character. Nintendo 99.9% dictated to GameStop “this is what you do, this is what you say.”
Whoever helms their Youtube channel made the video private, went back on that, made a comment about how it meant nothing, pinned it, unpinned it, and then pinned it again claiming they unpinned it to edit it. The video in store has had that bit removed.

Firox

Smash Master
If I recall correctly, didn't Gamestop just take down the video and chalk it up to a "misunderstanding"? If so, that would follow Nintendo's MO of just going silent when crap hits the fan.

EDIT: Yeeeesh, never mind. After reading Serenade's response, it looks like their PR team had an aneurism instead.

Last edited:

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
So basically, GameStop panicked to keep their relationship with Nintendo good. Got it, lol.

The pinning/unpinning means nothing other than some social media coordinator goofball is erratic. From a PR standpoint, they obviously stepped in giant Geno doo-doo (how’s that for word choice?), but there’s not really much you can take from it content-wise. It could equally mean the host legit didn’t know the different between Spirit and PC, or the video was published by mistake assuming an announcement (E3?) had already been made. But the handling of the crisis doesn’t really tip their hand either way.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, I'm happy to report that yungmornindrive yungmornindrive actually has a really impressive resume. He's not only been in PR for 6 years but in most of those years he's been in a management position of some kind. In other words, very credible and definitely knows what he's talking about.
It's wonderful news to hear we have another player in this leak game we have close contacts too now. Nice to meet you yungmornindrive yungmornindrive . ;)

D

Deleted member

So basically, GameStop panicked to keep their relationship with Nintendo good. Got it, lol.

The pinning/unpinning means nothing other than some social media coordinator goofball is erratic. From a PR standpoint, they obviously stepped in giant Geno doo-doo (how’s that for word choice?), but there’s not really much you can take from it content-wise. It could equally mean the host legit didn’t know the different between Spirit and PC, or the video was published by mistake assuming an announcement (E3?) had already been made. But the handling of the crisis doesn’t really tip their hand either way.
This has been my take on the situation for a while now and I'm glad that I'm reading it in someone else's post. Be prepared to feel like you're taking crazy pills as people crawl out of the woodwork and tell you there's no way they could have made such an error without Geno being 1000% playable.

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
This has been my take on the situation for a while now and I'm glad that I'm reading it in someone else's post. Be prepared to feel like you're taking crazy pills as people crawl out of the woodwork and tell you there's no way they could have made such an error without Geno being 1000% playable.
Hah. If people want to argue the merits of “why the hell does a GameStop video host not know the difference between spirit and PC,” that’s totally legitimate. I can see that. But how they handled the crisis this time doesn’t tell you one way or the other.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As it currently stands, Geno's biggest evidence in his favor right now that can't be disputed is the costume still being missing after 7 waves. The other 4 3rd party companies that had Mii Costumes in Smash 4 had at bare minimum 2 of their costumes return each, with Bandai Namco all but done as the most recent two waves can attest. Square's the only company that hasn't, and it's been consistent that Square costumes only show up with Square characters, and Geno's been the most requested character owned by them by a wide margin

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Hah. If people want to argue the merits of “why the hell does a GameStop video host not know the difference between spirit and PC,” that’s totally legitimate. I can see that. But how they handled the crisis this time doesn’t tell you one way or the other.
GameStop when they suddenly get thousands of people asking if they just leaked a Smash character:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like we won't be seeing FP8 until January or February. I've pretty much been saying this since Steve was announce as Nintendo likes to have a 3 to 4 month gap from their Smash reveal announcements.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I feel like we won't be seeing FP8 until January or February. I've pretty much been saying this since Steve was announce as Nintendo likes to have a 3 to 4 month gap from their Smash reveal announcements.
I'm not going to call it for 2020 until the end of December as far as Smash goes. We have precedent for December DLC releases with Cloud in Smash 4, so it's a little early to call the year done

QQS

Smash Lord
As it currently stands, Geno's biggest evidence in his favor right now that can't be disputed is the costume still being missing after 7 waves. The other 4 3rd party companies that had Mii Costumes in Smash 4 had at bare minimum 2 of their costumes return each, with Bandai Namco all but done as the most recent two waves can attest. Square's the only company that hasn't, and it's been consistent that Square costumes only show up with Square characters, and Geno's been the most requested character owned by them by a wide margin
Square must be very happy finally to make good business trading Geno, a 25 years old (in March) character completely forgotten by them, being easily the top 3 requested Smash characters right now (and easily one of the most requested in all Smash Demand).

Geno for Smash will be so epic that I will delight myself every time I play Smash, remembering the 7 years old me playing SMRPG VS the 30 years old me, being that Wooded Hero in my favorite game.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah in all honesty, this is objectively the most likely outcome of we seriously take the time to impartially look at the facts although I wouldn't completely rule out VGAs even if that is partially because the pessimism in me is still paying attention to that Fortnite rumour

If we look at it this way, we aren't getting the next character this month. I was saying it was the closest thing to an impossibility to begin with and we are now very close to the end of the month so that completely crosses off this month. Honestly isn't happening. Then we have December all through to the VGAs as unless it's announced beforehand,a presentation of any kind after VGAs isn't going to be shadowdropped. Since VGAs are digital this year, they could just air their own presentation but in case it is something like Fortnite and want to show it to a pre established audience then VGAs would be the way to go

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But this can easily be disputed by the fact that we simply do not have any proof that Geno's mii costume being absent means anything at all. He and Lloyd are decently requested characters, but Namco Bandai is working on the game and they could have easily found the time to fit Lloyd in the base game if he was going to happen, or even in the first round of DLC. Something's keeping Lloyd out and we could easily see his costume return... and I don't know why I would need to point out that this applies to Geno as well.

I've said it before, but some people like to point out that they're not murdering fan favorites with costumes quite as much this time... but if you ask me, they're starting to run out of costumes that won't. Travis could easily be a bad omen.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Did a quick check, out of the 16 presentations Nintendo has done this year (not counting the Chinese Ring Fit Adventure one) only 3 were in the first half of the month, The January Pokemon Direct, the Mario Direct, and Steve's Presentation, the rest were all past the mid-point. If anything with how this year has been it seems more likely for a major presentation to happen in the 2nd half of the month.

With how Partner Showcases were shelved last month I do genuinely wonder if they had plans for one in November but pivoted towards making it a mini direct instead. Yea, I said mini, I still don't think Nintendo is quite confident enough to do a major 2021 dump of news. Something around 20-30 minutes that reveals what Bowser's Fury is, an update on Snap, gets a majority of the leftover third-party stuff out of the way, and has one or two major first party announcements for early 2021. I guess Smash would be possible but we don't even know if there actually is a presentation coming, even if the Doom Eternal situation heavily implies it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's fair and a lot of people argued this back in the summer. GameStop is no stranger to ****ting the bed and rolling around in it like GameFAQs when their mom doesn't bring them chicken tendies a pig in mud. Their PR department is a trainwreck so it's hard to differentiate when they've made an honest to God mistake or hardcore leaked something they weren't supposed to.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sent you a PM. If you're credible, I want to do what I can be like "this guy knows what he's talking about" so that GameFAQs people doesn't whine and cry if your prediction doesn't pan out.
Don’t forget to share whatever he said with us, but only if you are allowed to.

Firox

Smash Master
So, I'm happy to report that yungmornindrive yungmornindrive actually has a really impressive resume. He's not only been in PR for 6 years but in most of those years he's been in a management position of some kind. In other words, very credible and definitely knows what he's talking about.
So the Fatman stamp of approval, huh? He definitely does seem credible despite having a pair of bananas shoved in his ears... lol

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
It's wonderful news to hear we have another player in this leak game we have close contacts too now. Nice to meet you yungmornindrive yungmornindrive . ;)
I’m not claiming to have inside leak information, for the record. Just sharing my knowledge of the PR industry and hoping that can shed some light on some clues. Particularly regarding that Bethesda statement earlier.

So the Fatman stamp of approval, huh? He definitely does seem credible despite having a pair of bananas shoved in his ears... lol
Don’t hate on my most wanted for Smash...! (And if you don’t know the game or character, I’m honestly not surprised or offended)

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Don’t hate on my most wanted for Smash...! (And if you don’t know the game or character, I’m honestly not surprised or offended)
lol No hating here. I just thought it looked funny. And no, I have no idea who that character is or why he has a penchant for listening to fruit in such a unique way. Care to enlighten us?

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
lol No hating here. I just thought it looked funny. And no, I have no idea who that character is or why he has a penchant for listening to fruit in such a unique way. Care to enlighten us?
Mike Jones, Startropics I and II. Underrated NES games. They did Zelda in a better way on NES IMO, but then the franchise died there.

I guess Geno surpasses him in my book because his moveset would be very similar to Ness’, but it’s a franchise I’d love to see be rebooted.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Mike Jones, Startropics I and II. Underrated NES games. They did Zelda in a better way on NES IMO, but then the franchise died there.

I guess Geno surpasses him in my book because his moveset would be very similar to Ness’, but it’s a franchise I’d love to see be rebooted.
Quick heads up that we have a support thread for him here, if you're interested.

Firox

Smash Master

Cool, cool. And the bananas?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Cool, cool. And the bananas?
It's a little bit of a spoiler but Mike plugs his ears with bananas to defeat the final boss in the first game.

SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor Basically he shared his resume and LinkedIn profile but asked for me to not make them public for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Welcome! Also, nice observation. I'm still on the fence for us getting a Direct this month, but I'm hoping this could be our big indicator for us getting one soon. Here's hoping!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I don't think we are ever getting full general Direct ever again. I mean, the last full general Direct we had was in September of 2019.

D

Deleted member

But this can easily be disputed by the fact that we simply do not have any proof that Geno's mii costume being absent means anything at all. He and Lloyd are decently requested characters, but Namco Bandai is working on the game and they could have easily found the time to fit Lloyd in the base game if he was going to happen, or even in the first round of DLC. Something's keeping Lloyd out and we could easily see his costume return... and I don't know why I would need to point out that this applies to Geno as well.

I've said it before, but some people like to point out that they're not murdering fan favorites with costumes quite as much this time... but if you ask me, they're starting to run out of costumes that won't. Travis could easily be a bad omen.
Is it just me or is Lloyd Irving not that popular as people make him out to be? Obviously, I don’t know for sure HOW much Lloyd is requested. Lloyd has a fanbase for sure, but I doubt he is really a HIGHLY requested character. Barely saw the dude on polls. I don’t remember any social media buzz like Banjo, Geno, and Sora. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lloyd is a Mii costume because I don’t think he’s that comparable. I think he’s obviously not that comparable to Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's a little bit of a spoiler but Mike plugs his ears with bananas to defeat the final boss in the first game.

SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor Basically he shared his resume and LinkedIn profile but asked for me to not make them public for obvious reasons.
Understood. Still, what do such profiles have to do with Directs, May I ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom