• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomasagaz18

Banned via Warnings
Oh, so Fatman said that there won't be any Smash reveal on TGA? Well, he has been always wrong, so that means that there will be something. Thanks!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Genuinely can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, are you seriously siding with Nintendo on this? That the tournament DESERVES to get C&D'd because they're using a better online service than everyone's favorite multi-million dollar corporation has made in 12 years?
As we Smash fans know all too well, this boils down to IP law and IP law is an unforgiving *****. If any of the IP owners are not cool with Slippi at public tournaments, the whole thing's toast. It's basically Project M all over again.

Firox

Smash Master
I really wish Nintendo would pull their collective heads out of their arses and actually put an OUNCE of effort into their online service. You know, the one they actually make us PAY for? The one whose quality has barely improved since the time it was free? It really is disgusting how little they seem to invest in it. I mean, as little as I care about the Melee community, I have to admit that it's embarrassing as all hell that random fans can generate a better, smoother online netcode than a multi-billion dollar company can.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
As we Smash fans know all too well, this boils down to IP law and IP law is an unforgiving *****. If any of the IP owners are not cool with Slippi at public tournaments, the whole thing's toast. It's basically Project M all over again.
Yea but there's a difference between saying "Nintendo is within the legal right to do this" and "Melee players deserve this, god forbid anyone make Nintendo look bad". This is the same company that tried to stop Melee at EVO 2013 after it won the charity drive for literally no reason.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Yea but there's a difference between saying "Nintendo is within the legal right to do this" and "Melee players deserve this, god forbid anyone make Nintendo look bad".
This really highlights the true nature of corporate Nintendo. They value their pride more than the satisfaction of their customers. Arrogance and apathy are the go-to response instead of giving the people what they've desperately asked for. And what they've asked for? A decent freaking netcode for a PAID service. It really isn't all that unreasonable. Their competitors don't seem as hesitant to invest where people want it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yea but there's a difference between saying "Nintendo is within the legal right to do this" and "Melee players deserve this, god forbid anyone make Nintendo look bad". This is the same company that tried to stop Melee at EVO 2013 after it won the charity drive for literally no reason.
But it is how I said it is. If any of the IP owners involved with Melee aren't okay with it then it's simply sunk. It's basically this meme but replace Jesus with Miyamoto and millions of dollars of intellectual property:

forgot_to_ask_thumb.png

D

Deleted member

Nintendo does a great job making themselves look bad, I don't have to get mad that someone else is making them look bad. This boils down to a few facts:

• Barring the extremely daring (or extremely stupid, you be the judge), we're all stuck at home and can't play fighting games as they were intended to be played: in person.
• Smash Ultimate's online is a ****ing nightmare at worst and a joke at best, even after an attempted change.
• a form of Smash Bros with rollback netcode is going to make Ultimate look less desirable, draw people away from Ultimate, and end up harming the community long-term, even after the pandemic ends by creating converts to Melee.

Nintendo is well within their right to keep their 21 year old physics exploit from stealing eyes from their 2 year old platform fighting masterpiece. Should they be doing something to Ultimate's online to make it competitively viable? **** yes, they should have shipped it with netcode that didn't suck the **** right out of a horse's ass, and they shouldn't have given up because it was too hard to implement or whatever. Be that as it may, Nintendo shouldn't have to worry about an emulated Melee tournament stealing the spotlight from their modern title. Even if it isn't outright illegal, and believe me, I could argue until the cows come home about how this is a grey area at worst, Nintendo would have an argument in court that Melee played via Slippi is an actual danger to their assets.

I can be happy that something's being done to help Ultimate weather this ****ing plague and still think that Nintendo's wrong in a lot of ways.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
But it is how I said it is. If any of the IP owners involved with Melee aren't okay with it then it's simply sunk. It's basically this meme but replace Jesus with Miyamoto and millions of dollars of intellectual property:

View attachment 292227
I know, I wasn't referring to you.

Anyway, seems like this week is a dud, who could have guessed? Seriously until something radically changes I think going into every other week expecting a major announcement is a recipe for disaster. We've gone 3 weeks without anything new, it's obvious they are on a bit of a chill period right now. Are the SKU's suspicious? Yea, but it doesn't look like there we're too many of them and they don't specifcally point towards a first-party announcement.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Nintendo does a great job making themselves look bad, I don't have to get mad that someone else is making them look bad. This boils down to a few facts:

• Barring the extremely daring (or extremely stupid, you be the judge), we're all stuck at home and can't play fighting games as they were intended to be played: in person.
• Smash Ultimate's online is a ****ing nightmare at worst and a joke at best, even after an attempted change.
• a form of Smash Bros with rollback netcode is going to make Ultimate look less desirable, draw people away from Ultimate, and end up harming the community long-term, even after the pandemic ends by creating converts to Melee.

Nintendo is well within their right to keep their 21 year old physics exploit from stealing eyes from their 2 year old platform fighting masterpiece. Should they be doing something to Ultimate's online to make it competitively viable? ** yes, they should have shipped it with netcode that didn't suck the ** right out of a horse's ass, and they shouldn't have given up because it was too hard to implement or whatever. Be that as it may, Nintendo shouldn't have to worry about an emulated Melee tournament stealing the spotlight from their modern title. Even if it isn't outright illegal, and believe me, I could argue until the cows come home about how this is a grey area at worst, Nintendo would have an argument in court that Melee played via Slippi is an actual danger to their assets.

I can be happy that something's being done to help Ultimate weather this ****ing plague and still think that Nintendo's wrong in a lot of ways.
Good to know you think Melee is a cancerous tumor that is going to doom Smash Ultimate, oh god forbid the best selling fighting game of all time is going to lose a few players because Nintendo can't make a functioning online service. NEWS FLASH : If people actually leave Ultimate completely to play Melee through Slippi, it's probably because they just find Melee more fun to play.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know, I wasn't referring to you.

Anyway, seems like this week is a dud, who could have guessed? Seriously until something radically changes I think going into every other week expecting a major announcement is a recipe for disaster. We've gone 3 weeks without anything new, it's obvious they are on a bit of a chill period right now. Are the SKU's suspicious? Yea, but it doesn't look like there we're too many of them and they don't specifcally point towards a first-party announcement.
What kind of disaster? Hopefully the good kind. :troll:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I'd side with the devil himself to see Melee disappear and this is about as close as I've had the chance to get.
as much as I don´t have a lot of love for melee. Players around the world deserve the right to play a goddamn forgotten game with online mods. Nintendo sure isn´t bringing the online infrastructure to Ultimate or porting Melee to switch( and if they did, they would probably get rid of a lot of the exploits ¨see SM64 in the collection¨)
I really doubt that this twitter trending and bugging will result in anything positive. Hopefully , slippi makes it out still alive.
Also, **** copyright.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
What kind of disaster? Hopefully the good kind. :troll:
Inflated Expectations mixed in with a dash of salt. I have no issues with people being excited, believe it or not the world doesn't end when people get dissappointed over video game announcements, more annoyed with people looking at coincidental small-scale stuff as evidence for an announcement soon rather than thinking about whether it aligns with the big picture.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
as much as I don´t have a lot of love for melee. Players around the world deserve the right to play a goddamn forgotten game with online mods. Nintendo sure isn´t bringing the online infrastructure to Ultimate or porting Melee to switch( and if they did, they would probably get rid of a lot of the exploits ¨see SM64 in the collection¨)
I really doubt that this twitter trending and bugging will result in anything positive. Hopefully , slippi makes it out still alive.
Also, **** copyright.
I don't disagree on the principle of it. It's just complicated AF. Nintendo could be like "sure, go ahead" but then one day TPC isn't cool with it and the whole thing goes to **** anyways. Even back with Melee, the number of IP owners was expansive so nuking the whole thing is just legally more simple then getting the okay from absolutely everyone involved.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Stuff like the Melee events being shut down makes me happy my unofficial game interests lie in rom hacks of older single player games or non-Nintendo fan titles because they seem like a pain to deal with in that department.

A game like Sonic Robo Blast 2 would never have had a chance to become the fantastic experience it has if the property had been owned by Nintendo and not Sega.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Also, heads up, more Capcom leaks happened, REAL DEAL type stuff, talking release schedules until like 2025. Seems like it might not include everything, might be a bit outdated, but what IS there is damn spicy.
Yeah, I just saw them, definitely lot of juicy stuff there.
I'm especially interested in whatever Resident Evil Hank is. It's about damn time they gave Hank his own game.

D

Deleted member

Eh, not really into Capcom stuff. If it was Square stuff and there is Mario that would be a different story.:yeahboi:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Inflated Expectations mixed in with a dash of salt. I have no issues with people being excited, believe it or not the world doesn't end when people get dissappointed over video game announcements, more annoyed with people looking at coincidental small-scale stuff as evidence for an announcement soon rather than thinking about whether it aligns with the big picture.
If we just sat and waited for silver bullets, we'd have nothing to talk about. I find overthinking fun, and that's why it's in my profile "somewhere, overthinking something." As I've said, I don't care too much if my theories pan out or not because I have fun being here and speculating with you all despite some people being, well, you know...
a86.png

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, YOU WERE WRONG ON THE INTERNET!!!!! IT SHOULD HAVE KILLED YOU BY NOW!!!!! WHY. WON'T. YOU...

f60.jpg

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!!!!!11!1!1!!1!!"

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
pinshadow pinshadow I mean, i’ve pretty much felt that way ever since the Hyrule Warriors pin thing, despite people like Paraspikey Paraspikey repeatedly insisting to me that the pins don’t mean anything and Nintendo can announce whatever they want, popping off every time Nintendo announces something not related to Hyrule warriors and going on about how it strengthens his point.
E5458FDC-9766-4259-A89E-EF84D25FEFF1.jpeg

For me, it’s moreso keeping my eyes and ears perked due to some odd behavior here and there. Acting as if i’m “expecting” anything from now until post-December seems like a rather steep misjudgement. I’ve previously said that expecting nothing until January is the safe route here. Still, nothing wrong with raising your eyebrows a bit, especially regarding the Mario Tournament delay

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I like the fact we argue and that this thread is a collective of personalities with the one trait that unites all of us is that we want Geno in Smash. That's the fun of it. I know... When it comes to Smash speculation I'm like Mr. Toad (another day, another mania). Some of you are like Mole and pretty cool with my eccentricities. Some of you are like Ratty and kind of sick of my **** but don't outright dislike me either. Some of you are like Toad too and we ricochet off each other, to the delight of the Moles and to the quiet frustration of the Water Rats. It's all good fun and why I come here on an almost daily basis.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, it seems that The Big House 6 event wasn't the only beehive Nintendo decided to smack, and are also apparently banning some Twitch folks (apparently for streaming HW: AoC). Now they got both the Smash community, and some Twitch streamers (who usually stream Nintendo games) discussing both matters. Dang Nintendo... is this how we're wrapping up 2020?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I like the fact we argue and that this thread is a collective of personalities with the one trait that unites all of us is that we want Geno in Smash. That's the fun of it. I know... When it comes to Smash speculation I'm like Mr. Toad (another day, another mania). Some of you are like Mole and pretty cool with my eccentricities. Some of you are like Ratty and kind of sick of my **** but don't outright dislike me either. Some of you are like Toad too and we ricochet off each other, to the delight of the Moles and to the quiet frustration of the Water Rats. It's all good fun and why I come here on an almost daily basis.
Quite frankly incorrect. We're an undeniable echo chamber and we all huddle up every sunday for attendance at St. Fatman's. No if's, and's, or but's.

D

Deleted member

So, it seems that The Big House 6 event wasn't the only beehive Nintendo decided to smack, and are also apparently banning some Twitch folks (apparently for streaming HW: AoC). Now they got both the Smash community, and some Twitch streamers (who usually stream Nintendo games) discussing both matters. Dang Nintendo... is this how we're wrapping up 2020?
Nintendo's gonna walk away from this with bullet holes in their coat and no wounds on them, just like every time.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
You just reminded me that I need to actually sit down and watch Disney's Wind In The Willows. There's a DVD with it and Sleepy Hollow that I watch with the family near Halloween and we always just skip Mr. Toad.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
That Geno analysis article on the home page is like candy, I can’t wait until I leave work so I can read it!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's not like nintendo took down slippi or DMCAd anyone on twitch or youtube for showing it. They just dont want it being played at a tournament they are supporting.
I think everyone gets that but, as a Boomer Nintendo fan, this sort of thing has been a problem for over a decade now.

Fans: "We want this thing. We will pay you to do this thing."

Nintendo:

x Outright says no.

x Beats around the bush for years.

Pick one.

Fans: "Fine... We'll just do it ourselves..."

Nintendo: loads magazine into gun

"Haha... The **** you will."

I get the frustration and, as Geno fans, it's definitely on the nose.

Last edited:

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone gets that but, as a Boomer Nintendo fan, this sort of thing has been a problem for over a decade now.

Fans: "We want this thing. We will pay you to do this thing."

Nintendo:

x Outright says no.

x Beats around the bush for years.

Pick one.

Fans: "Fine... We'll just do it ourselves..."

Nintendo: loads magazine into gun

"Haha... The **** you will."

I get the frustration and, as Geno fans, it's definitely on the nose.
I get that, I'm a boomer Nintendo fan too haha. But it comes down to using an emulator and mods, and no video game company is going to be okay with that, no matter if it is truly legal or not. And what I'm seeing on twitter and elsewhere is that notion that Nintendo is shutting slippi and melee down forever, which just isnt the case.

No other company would allow any of this stuff either.

Last edited:

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
I didn't come in to pick a fight or say anyone is in the wrong. I genuinely think this is overblown since you can still play the game, play slippi online, stream the game, and still hold tournaments. Just not ones that Nintendo is sponsoring. And even then, it's just the online tournaments nintendo is sponsoring

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Just an FYI, I’ve seen some people on Twitter say that GameStop is calling people who ordered Doom Eternal on Switch that the game has been cancelled. As there has been no official announcement from Bethesda themselves, take it with a grain of salt, but I find it weird considering the devs said it was going well a few weeks ago.
I’m starting to think that the Mario tournament could mean nothing to Geno’s chances especially if he missed the tournament that they did last year. Geno being revealed right before the tournament fits perfectly but as odd as that sounds, Geno could be chosen all because of fan demand that it has nothing to do with the anniversary. This is the same tournament where Yoshi and Wario are excluded despite being Mario characters. I’m not sure if they would really care. I don’t think Paper Mario was really celebrated in the anniversary. It was like it’s own entity. Nintendo could see Geno that way.
Paper Mario’s 20th anniversary was also this year, so Origami King could be in celebration of that but otherwise yeah I agree, Geno doesn’t need to be announced during the Mario 35 time period.
Oh, so Fatman said that there won't be any Smash reveal on TGA? Well, he has been always wrong, so that means that there will be something. Thanks!
6C329B5F-AECB-4343-B7CE-0DD5CE5CD858.jpeg

My guy, did you really make a new account after you got banned and came back here just to **** on Fatman lmao

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I didn't come in to pick a fight or say anyone is in the wrong. I genuinely think this is overblown since you can still play the game, play slippi online, stream the game, and still hold tournaments. Just not ones that Nintendo is sponsoring. And even then, it's just the online tournaments nintendo is sponsoring
It's complicated... Sponsored tournaments have bigger pots and thus bigger draws and attract bigger talent which in turn draws more sponsors and the cycle continues. I agree with you, it doesn't kill it but it heavily constricts its potential. That's why there was such an uproar when Nintendo strong armed bigger Youtube channels to stop showing Project M tournaments.

Last edited:

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
It's complicated... Sponsored tournaments have bigger pots and thus bigger draws and attract bigger talent which in turn draws more sponsors and the cycle continues. I agree with you, it doesn't kill it but it heavily constricts its potential. That's why there was such an uproar when Nintendo strong armed bigger Youtube channels to stop showing Project M tournaments.
It definitely can constrict the growth of the scene. I agree with you on that. But Nintendo wasn't making the pot huge by any means. I'd also argue that having a youtube, twitch, and general community presence is more important these days, which nintendo isn't killing unlike Project M. Unless I'm mistaken, there have been tons of Slippi tournaments that Nintendo hasn't taken down at all, and there is even a big event coming up in Smash Summit.

If Nintendo really wanted to kill Melee, they would do way more than this

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just an FYI, I’ve seen some people on Twitter say that GameStop is calling people who ordered Doom Eternal on Switch that the game has been cancelled. As there has been no official announcement from Bethesda themselves, take it with a grain of salt, but I find it weird considering the devs said it was going well a few weeks ago.

Paper Mario’s 20th anniversary was also this year, so Origami King could be in celebration of that but otherwise yeah I agree, Geno doesn’t need to be announced during the Mario 35 time period.

View attachment 292242
My guy, did you really make a new account after you got banned and came back here just to **** on Fatman lmao
Oh yeah, before I came on Smashboards, I’ve seen this guy on GameFaqs. It was an absolute waste of time of him trying get a reaction from the thread after he trolled more than once. It’s like Fatman and the Geno thread live in his head rent free I guess. I wonder if he’ll come and apologize if Geno is playable. I wouldn’t bank on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I swear to Christ if after all this time, this gets cancelled after I've been waiting to see what it will look like on Switch, I ain't gonna be happy. Despite the drawbacks, I really like Doom 2016 on Switch and yeah, we were told multiple times it is still being worked on.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I think Geno alone is dumb it should be Geno + Mallow as a Team!
I've been kinda vocal about this in the past, but I think a Geno and Mallow tag team sounds kinda dumb. Geno and Mallow are completely different from one another and they would both be better off separately. If Sakurai really wanted Mallow to get included as well, I feel like Sakurai might as well just make Mallow a completely separate character instead of sharing a slot with Geno, and as cool as Mallow is, I would personally rather have Geno just because I think he is so much more cooler.

Your arrogance is astounding.
Look, as much as I love your profile picture, I'm not sure how exactly he's being arrogant. The only one that seems arrogant right now is you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom