• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No joke. I still refuse to ever play on Hero's stage due to the painfully terrible music on there. It's like they chose the crappiest 8-bit style music they could find but then tried to orchestrate it instead of leaving it 8-bit style. I can't stand listening to it. At least Cloud's two songs are actually good.
I think the problem with Dragon Quest music is that you could have the planet's best orchestra playing the songs and they would still be repetitive, campy 80s anime situational tracks meant to play with voice constantly going over them for only a few seconds at a time. The map theme from 3 is the best the series has ever produced and is the only thing I let play on the stage. I don't know how anyone actually plays Dragon Quest without the music muted, having to listen to that garbage on loop for 10 hours would drive me to alcoholism.

It doesn't help that Sugiyama has a whole flagpole jammed up his ass and refuses to let the actual orchestral soundtracks find their way outside of Japan (XI S is the very notable exception to this) so we get stuck with midis, even in Smash. Hope he enjoys all that money from soundtrack sales, I wonder how much cash he figures it'll take for people to actually miss him when he's gone?

Honestly, no sarcasm, if Geno were to ultimately get cucked by a single character for Smash, I'd want it to be Mallow. If this winds up being another case of a sniper blowing our race horse's brains out in the final stretch, this would be the preferred outcome. Much further down the line, I would also accept Crono, if only because of the music.
Since I'm a man of my word, this would mean I would have to eat my Smash Ultimate cartridge on film so I would really rather not be cucked in this uniquely awful way.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
This is a very good point. Sitting in my work van taking a coffee break, I realized that Nintendo itself is pretty limited when it comes to Collector's editions. Of the series that have gotten multiple Collector's edition games in recent history, you have: Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade. That's largely it. I think Samus Returns got one too but I don't remember. Obviously the thread through all of these is that they're RPGs of some variation. Square, on the other hand, pretty much does Collector's editions for ****in' everything. (Kingdom Hearts: Sora's Payless Shoes Special Edition with authentic sniffable shoe) Capcom is pretty notorious for this too as is Platinum. On the Capcom side of things, we know it's not Monster Hunter because, well, that's already been formally announced and even has solid release dates. This said, there's not a lot of Nintendo "partners" that are Horny on Main for Collector's editions so it definitely helps narrow things down in my opinion.
Smash got one as well. It had a steelbook and a Smash-themed GC controller.

Firox

Smash Master
Since I'm a man of my word, this would mean I would have to eat my Smash Ultimate cartridge on film so I would really rather not be cucked in this uniquely awful way.
Wait, you promised to eat your Smash cartridge on video if Mallow gets in? That's some impressive confidence...and dedication. Honestly though, I agree that the chances of Mallow cucking Geno are INCREDIBLY slim. Like 0.00000000001% chance.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Damn, I've been so swept up in school bull**** that I've been MIA from this thread for almost a week now lol
Anyway, seems like I missed some arguing (Also known as the center square on the bingo sheet) and...
Steve, Hero, Ryu, Geno, Waluigi, and arguably Lloyd. Multiple people associated with these characters have gotten C&D's since fall 2018.
1605803632898.png

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, we got a new set of SKUs? Interesting. As far as collector's editions go, my best guess is it's going to be for Capcom or Square only since those two companies are the only ones I can think of that have done collector grade stuff that expensive in the past few years

D

Deleted member

Wait, you promised to eat your Smash cartridge on video if Mallow gets in? That's some impressive confidence...and dedication. Honestly though, I agree that the chances of Mallow cucking Geno are INCREDIBLY slim. Like 0.00000000001% chance.
I was asked by a friend at one of the last tournaments we were able to attend what I would do if Mallow got in specifically instead of Geno. That was my response, so it goes a little beyond "I told some schmuck on the internet I'd do it". It should be noted that I am extremely critical of Mallow, never liked his character and felt that he didn't even add anything mechanically significant to the game - it is to the point I actually consider him probably the worst part of Mario RPG... So him getting in instead of Geno would probably send me into a fit of actual rage. Eating the cartridge would be the least of my concerns.

Firox

Smash Master
I was asked by a friend at one of the last tournaments we were able to attend what I would do if Mallow got in specifically instead of Geno. That was my response, so it goes a little beyond "I told some schmuck on the internet I'd do it". It should be noted that I am extremely critical of Mallow, never liked his character and felt that he didn't even add anything mechanically significant to the game - it is to the point I actually consider him probably the worst part of Mario RPG... So him getting in instead of Geno would probably send me into a fit of actual rage. Eating the cartridge would be the least of my concerns.
lol Fair enough. I have to admit, I do feel like Mallow kinda became obsolete in SMRPG after Bowser joins the party. I mean, why play fluffy SpongeBob when you have Geno and the freaking king of the koopas?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The fact that DOOM Eternal's got a couple of nominations, including Game of the Year at TGA, and Geoff having tweeted a "factoid" tweet about both Animal Crossing: New Horizons, AND DOOM Eternal contesting the GOTY award, really does give the impression that DOOM Eternal news might be up during the award stream. The Switch version's release date is still unknown, and with the SKU's that popped up recently, the timing seems to be lining up for around December 10th (before or afterwards).

D

Deleted member

lol Fair enough. I have to admit, I do feel like Mallow kinda became obsolete in SMRPG after Bowser joins the party. I mean, why play fluffy SpongeBob when you have Geno and the freaking king of the koopas?
I'm a Mario/Geno/Peach man myself but that's because I don't purchase items. Actually, Super Mario RPG is probably what made me such a penny pincher in RPGs, why buy goofy **** like "healing items" and "emergency supplies" when funny princess go "brrrrevive". Mallow gets so unrealistically outclassed by Peach it's like they added him in purely to be a one shot flesh wall to put in front of evergreen enemy destroyer Mario in the early game so that you don't get run over by three dudes at a time (or one crocodile in a top hat)

Dukefire

Smash Master
It does make you wonder how the music performance for the Game of the Year will play out. If it is Animal Crossing to Doom Eternal, then it is calm music to Rip and Tear atmosphere as the Internet has put those two opposites together.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Didn't the announcer last year bring up how Joker was revealed at the previous VGAs, which implied that Smash would reveal another character, which clearly it didn't?
Geoff has been very open about how Joker was one of his favorite VGA moments ever and wanted to do more Smash reveals if Nintendo allowed it. Apparently Geoff tried for this year and, according to several people I talk to, he was shot down pretty quick and more or less told Nintendo had "its own plans" for the rest of Season 2.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'm getting the feeling that in the next couple of weeks, we could perhaps get the announcement for CP 8, and depending on the timing of the announcement, it could either be,
  • Geno = if revealed before the Super Mario-themed Smash tournament, or a few days after the tournament
  • Crash Bandicoot = during TGA (call back to TGA 2018 when Joker was revealed, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled was revealed, and Ultimate would be launching at midnight)
  • Doom Guy = also during TGA and perhaps most likely since DOOM Eternal's got a few nominations and is contesting for GOTY as well along with Animal Crossing: New Horizons (time to capitalize on that Isabelle x Doom Guy meme).

Firox

Smash Master
I know people have come up with a bajillion reasons why Doom Slayer won't get into Smash (including his own company saying it won't happen) but still, if Slayer were to get revealed for Smash with TGA, I would absolutely lose my ****. I'm fairly confident that it would solidify Cacomallow, and by extension, Geno himself.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I know people have come up with a bajillion reasons why Doom Slayer won't get into Smash (including his own company saying it won't happen) but still, if Slayer were to get revealed for Smash with TGA, I would absolutely lose my ****. I'm fairly confident that it would solidify Cacomallow, and by extension, Geno himself.
Eh, Doomslayer should have come in with Isabelle as a double reveal ... what a waste ... :ultpacman:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, the only other possibility left for a reveal in November if there is not a reveal announcement akin to MinMin's is next week should Nintendo be that absurdly stingy because of the Clam Age releasing tomorrow.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nintendo to me about this week:

6ajo2QL.jpg

So, like I warned on Sunday, Nintendo managed to thread the needle just to spite me but there's both good and bad things about this week. As per tradition, the bad first:

-It's looking like this is the first time in 9 years there isn't going to be a major Nintendo presentation in November. To quote a wise frog "feels bad, man." Yes, Tuesday is technically a possibility but it's simply better to shift focus to December instead.

-Only the second time this year that a Monday had multiple maintenances and resulted in nothing for the week.

Now with that out of the way, the good:

-Mario Smash tournament finally has a date.

-Splatoon 2 tournament announced the same weekend as the Mario tournament. Last time this happened was June and it was supposed to happen in September as well. Take that as you will.

-The maintenances still suggest something soon. That empty week I mentioned above? That was the week before the Animal Crossing Direct. Next two weeks are still on the table.

-The maintenances focused very heavily on the E-shop and they even streamlined some long overdue things. Like I said over the weekend, this is the first time the E-shop has gotten this much attention in almost a year and a half so it's still notable and likely wasn't just for upcoming holiday shopping.

-SKU dump on Monday. Usually this means news dumps in 2-3 weeks time. We could get juked again but I'd rather wait things out.

-TWEWY 2, P5S, and DOOM Eternal now all have concrete announcement timelines after being MIA for most of this year.

-One of the games in the SKU dump is very heavily implied to be BotW2. There's no way Nintendo is going to shadowdrop news for BotW2, especially if a Collector's edition is attached to it. They're going to attach it to something that will be announced in advance.

-NSO update is still MIA. Once again, decided to look into it and the VC/NSO has had a December update every single year since 2006 except 2017 (because the service didn't exist yet for Switch).

-The giant Dialga and Palkia balloons and the the full ass Mother shop that happened this week are still suspicious as holy hell.

So, despite this week being another case of "wow, it's ****ing nothing", there was definitely a lot of silver linings to suggest we don't need to say GG for 2020 just yet.

QQS

Smash Lord
20F70EEA-F8DA-400D-884A-738287E88D2E.jpeg

This is amazing. Check it on the forum. The whole idea of Forest Maze with Bowyer throwing arrows and buttons cancelling; + Geno’s moveset with Timed Hits and/or healing mechanics, is so amazing. Each day I’m more convinced Geno is a perfect character to draw from his only game into Smash. He even has the moveset, alt colors, songs, victory animations and taunts done.

An epic story between Square and Nintendo in the past. Also refreshing the Mario Franchise with a Third and final Square rep, bringing also the game to NSO, probably a remake, probable more FF songs and probably Mallow, Sora or Crono costumes.

Let’s pray for this! Geno is a must and the worlds knows it.

Credit on the photo to artist.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
View attachment 292203

This is amazing. Check it on the forum. The whole idea of Forest Maze with Bowyer throwing arrows and buttons cancelling; + Geno’s moveset with Timed Hits and/or healing mechanics, is so amazing. Each day I’m more convinced Geno is a perfect character to draw from his only game into Smash. He even has the moveset, alt colors, songs, victory animations and taunts done.

An epic story between Square and Nintendo in the past. Also refreshing the Mario Franchise with a Third and final Square rep, bringing also the game to NSO, probably a remake, probable more FF songs and probably Mallow, Sora or Crono costumes.

Super Marip RPG

In all seriousness, what a cool ass spirit board. I love that it uses artwork of Mario and Peach (Bowser should be there too). I’ve had people tell me that other Mainline Mario characters shouldn’t appear on Geno’s spirit board and I heavily disagree, those renders are iconic.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
View attachment 292203

Shame on them! They forgot Bowser (Super Mario RPG)!

Still good, though!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Your arrogance is astounding.
Killing me, brother. Killing me.

View attachment 292203

The fact that Frogfucious is probably going to wind up being Greninja with a Home run bat is absolutely fantastic and I'm definitely living for it.

MattX20

Smash Hero
A thought occurred to me. If Nintendo has their own plans for the rest of Season 2 of Smash, why would they care about having a reveal for Smash in the same week as the Game Awards? If anything, our reveals always took place after Challenge Cups end so far, and the Mario 35th one ends on the 5th

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good to know Nintendo is keeping up their reputation of being the absolute worst in terms of interacting with the community.

View attachment 292219
Nintendo's inaction on Slippi has made Ultimate's online look like even more of a joke than it had to be and it made Melee a direct competition to a game they're trying to sell DLC for.

The Big House and anyone who streams Melee played via slippi deserves this. Bad PR decision as usual? You bet. Absolutely deserved, though.

Maybe now they can get on with this season 2 DLC.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait what?

......ah, I see.

View attachment 292216

How interesting.
Very.

-They're on model and professionally made so they weren't some weird art piece and likely came from TPC itself.

-Both were blocked off which not only means they got permission to have them there on private property but likely planned this well in advance.

-Their appearance really doesn't make sense. Pokemon Go is starting 6 gen in December and Crown Tundra released almost a month ago now. Diamond and Pearl originally came out in September 2006 so the timing is way off for that and who cares about a 14th anniversary anyways?

So, you have these massive promotional Pokemon that tie into absolutely nothing already announced so... Why are they there? Same questions can be asked about the Mother store too, honestly.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Nintendo's inaction on Slippi has made Ultimate's online look like even more of a joke than it had to be and it made Melee a direct competition to a game they're trying to sell DLC for.

The Big House and anyone who streams Melee played via slippi deserves this. Bad PR decision as usual? You bet. Absolutely deserved, though.

Maybe now they can get on with this season 2 DLC.
Genuinely can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, are you seriously siding with Nintendo on this? That the tournament DESERVES to get C&D'd because they're using a better online service than everyone's favorite multi-million dollar corporation has made in 12 years?

D

Deleted member

Genuinely can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, are you seriously siding with Nintendo on this? That the tournament DESERVES to get C&D'd because they're using a better online service than everyone's favorite multi-million dollar corporation has made in 12 years?
I'd side with the devil himself to see Melee disappear and this is about as close as I've had the chance to get.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Good to know Nintendo is keeping up their reputation of being the absolute worst in terms of interacting with the community.

View attachment 292219
Wow Nintendo, just wow. Went onto Twitter and this is currently trending as well. I understand that like any other Company looking after its business, a better netcode made by fans might be seen with glaring eyes (by them) but COME ON! Ultimate's online is TRASH. On this note, I remember a few months ago (can't remember what stream event it was), in which I believe Harada had commented that Sakurai had been asking him about online play ideas; dunno if Sakurai might have been thinking of improving Ultimate's netcode amidst Fighters Pass Vol. 2. Regardless, this is quite unfortunate and somewhat of an acid move by Nintendo (when they could have just talked with the slippi devs to work out a deal to make it an official feature).

D

Deleted member

I’m starting to think that the Mario tournament could mean nothing to Geno’s chances especially if he missed the tournament that they did last year. Geno being revealed right before the tournament fits perfectly but as odd as that sounds, Geno could be chosen all because of fan demand that it has nothing to do with the anniversary. This is the same tournament where Yoshi and Wario are excluded despite being Mario characters. I’m not sure if they would really care. I don’t think Paper Mario was really celebrated in the anniversary. It was like it’s own entity. Nintendo could see Geno that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom