• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So I know this isn't really about Geno, but a couple of things to be hyped about if you love both platform fighters and fighting games.

First off, the McLeod crew dropped this beastly announcement:

I'm absolutely blown away about this announcement and this looks like one of the coolest things ever, but this is also the exact reason why I think no single indie rep will ever get into Ultimate...because they don't need it. This is what best benefits indies, is getting their own games that are unique and interesting, with that indie charm about them. This is why Shovel Knight being an AT and possible costume later on and Sans and Cuphead being costumes is the best thing for them because it's recognition of their achievements but also isn't getting in the way of AAA opportunities or taking away from their indie charm. Once again, that isn't to say an indie rep is impossible, but I always felt that anything more than a Spirit, costume or AT would go against the indie spirit. Add in that indie devs are so diverse in what they offer and how there is no 'Mario' of indies where I feel as the majority of the indie fandom could all agree on other than perhaps Quote, and I think this is solid enough evidence to not expect an playable indies.

The other news was that Maximillian_dood announced he worked with Twitch Rivals to make this dope UMvC3 online tournament and that in some form Assist Me is returning. I actually lost my mind and screamed at like 11PM or some **** when I saw that.

With this and the VGAs coming up and the fact that SOMETHING is cooking in Nintendo's kitchen makes the end of this year almost perfect.
I'm hoping to one day see an indie fighting game with all of the renowned indie franchises represented in the roster. That'd be dope AF. Quote, Gunvolt, Spelunky, Shovel Knight, Sans, the Kid from Bastion, etc.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I just voted for The Game Awards and because I can, here is what I voted for in each category:

Best Esports Game: Valorant [Never played or heard about it, but considering it was the only game published in 2020 in this category, I thought it deserved my vote].
Best Multiplayer Game: Among Us [Don't judge me]
Best Sports Game: Tony Hawk's ProSkater 1+2
Best Sim\Strategy: Gears Tactics
Best Family Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[I SERIOUSLY wanted to give this to Crash 4, but I feel like nothing can beat AC in terms of a family game. But if I were to vote for two games, my other vote would definitely go to Crash 4].
Best Fighting Game: Granblue Fantasy Versus
Best RPG: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Best Action\Adventure Game: Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Best Action Game: DOOM Eternal
Innovation In Accessibility: Watch Dogs Legion
Best VR\AR Game: Half-Life: Alyx
Best Community Support: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
Best Mobile Game: Among Us
Best Indie Game: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
Best Audio Design: DOOM Eternal
Best Score And Music: DOOM Eternal
[Final Fantasy VII Remake being a VERY close second]
Best Art Direction: Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Best Narrative: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Best Game Direction: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Game Of The Year: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[I will admit this one may be Nintendo bias, but AC was such, and still is, a huge game that I thought it'd be a crime to not vote for it as GOTY].

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What do we have that points to that being the case, again? Was it something other than The List?
The List and I feel more has come up that has suggested it in the past month:

-Square coming out earlier this month saying COVID basically brought development of all their games to a sudden halt over the summer.

-The Mario Smash tournament.

-Sakurai saying Steve had been developed entirely during the Pandemic suggesting January at the earliest. By Nintendo's own admission, work on multiple Season 2 characters started in 2019.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I just voted for The Game Awards and because I can, here is what I voted for in each category:

Best Esports Game: Valorant [Never played or heard about it, but considering it was the only game published in 2020 in this category, I thought it deserved my vote].
Best Multiplayer Game: Among Us [Don't judge me]
Best Sports Game: Tony Hawk's ProSkater 1+2
Best Sim\Strategy: Gears Tactics
Best Family Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[I SERIOUSLY wanted to give this to Crash 4, but I feel like nothing can beat AC in terms of a family game. But if I were to vote for two games, my other vote would definitely go to Crash 4].
Best Fighting Game: Granblue Fantasy Versus
Best RPG: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Innovation In Accessibility: Watch Dogs Legion
Best Community Support: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
Best Indie Game: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
[Final Fantasy VII Remake being a VERY close second]
Best Art Direction: Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Best Narrative: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Best Game Direction: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Game Of The Year: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[I will admit this one may be Nintendo bias, but AC was such, and still is, a huge game that I thought it'd be a crime to not vote for it as GOTY].
"Best Multiplayer Game: Among Us
Best Art Direction: Ori and the Will of the Wisps"
k86hb39mg1041~2.jpg

Though, isn't Among Us a game from 2018? I don't really keep up with TGA, but I thought only games from the current year were allowed.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
"Best Multiplayer Game: Among Us
Best Art Direction: Ori and the Will of the Wisps"
View attachment 292156

Though, isn't Among Us a game from 2018? I don't really keep up with TGA, but I thought only games from the current year were allowed.
Yeah and same with Fortnite, Apex Legends, COD: Modern Warfare, League Of Legends ect... I guess as long as they're popular and trendy, they can be eligible to be at TGA.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Yeah and same with Fortnite, Apex Legends, COD: Modern Warfare, League Of Legends ect... I guess as long as they're popular and trendy, they can be eligible to be at TGA.
Aight, time to get people talking about Sneak King again so it can earn its rightful place in the Game Awards.

Griselda

Smash Lord
View attachment 292167
Waiting room, by Ninpendo.art
I'd forgotten about the whole Reimu in Smash thing. Reveal and release Geno first so I can b r e a t h e again, but I'd definitely be fine with Reimu - especially if she brought a ton of music with her. I can also vividly picture a Final Smash where she teams up with Marisa - I think they'd look pretty nice in Ultimate's style.

D

Deleted member

In an alternate Universe, Shigeru Miyamoto created one of the most iconic video game and recognizable fictional characters of all time, Geno. There is a crossover game called, Super Smash Bros. One character that is a like a figure in the Smash hardcore Smash fanbase named, Mario. He is a one off party member from the SNES Classic game Super Geno RPG: Legend of the Seven Meatballs. Mario is a plumber that wants to eat 7 magical and powerful meatballs from spaghetti road to become the mightiest plumber. Many people do not get why Mario is wanted in Smash. He’s a one off stupid plumber from an old game. There are more worthy Geno and Square Enix characters. Will Mario join Smash? Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Before I go to bed, this happened under our noses two days ago!

Night y'all!
Zelda Botw2?
I really think we´re gonna see something from the ****** franchise. Too much stuff this year in celebration of it.
Genovember is halfway done, and no signs from dlc reveals, as I expected.
IN other stuff, a shame that my game of the year isn´t nominated, THPS1 +2
Seriously, can´t stop playing the damn game.
I don´t think any of the nominated games for goty is actually goty material. Maybe I have too high standards.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Before I go to bed, this happened under our noses two days ago!

Night y'all!
Now, this is a pretty important development and note how these 5 games all have "pre-order" above them. SKU leaks usually tell us the dreaded "Soon™" but it's hard to put a finger on exactly how soon. Brief recap of the recent history of this:

May 2019: standard SKU dump a few weeks before E3. Pretty typical.

August 2019: SKU dump about two weeks before the Fall Direct. Again, it's a decently solid predictor of upcoming announcements.

January 2020: Massive SKU dump. Seemed to line up with what some of my guys were saying in that there would be a presentation in January or February. Obviously, this didn't happen and we don't know why. Possibly Corona but Nintendo never gave a full blown statement on it.

May 2020: another big SKU dump, a few weeks before what would have been E3. Obviously, nothing really came of it and I get the feeling that a lot of those games were simply broken up into the Partner showcases from July to October.

Now we have this, roughly three weeks before the VGAs. What does this tell us? Because of how retail works, retailers are usually given a minimum of two months heads up before physical releases and usually a few weeks for things like preorders. So, we have 5 games that are being kept secret that are basically guaranteed to be announced (or at least planned to) by the end of the year and are 2021 releases. Plus, preorders are typically only set if there's "fears" of the games selling out quickly so don't worry about it being something like My Little Pony: Hell Hath No Fury. In other words, these 5 games are expected to sell well and have a ton of demand even before being formally announced. Take that as you will.

So... This basically tells us one of two things:

-Intel was wrong on the VGAs and we're getting more Nintendo stuff that we thought we would (doubtful)

-Nintendo's doing a news dump of some kind by the end of the year (much more probable)

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord

Unfortunately, it seems there were also a few SKUs dropped in early June that made people assume we were getting News Dumps at that time, which didn't end up amounting to much. We had to wait until July 20th for the Partner Direct that didn't even announce very many things. I don't remember anything happening in June aside from Min Min but let me know if i'm wrong.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I noticed that two of them are $108 and these are probably Collector's editions of unannounced games. If you guys remember, one of these leaked back in late August and it's 99% BotW2:

So, that just leaves 4 mystery games and one of them is a big enough deal to get a full ass collector's edition.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So what does this SKU news hint at? A Direct? A non-Direct? A Mini-Direct? Maybe something else?
It hints at a news dump "Soon™." Note how they're all preorders and how Doom Eternal is there too, something that's very heavily being teased for the VGAs right now. This means that these are all announcements for unannounced 2021 games. The list also has the preorders being available by the end of the year, heavily suggesting that these preorders will open sometime in December.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It hints at a news dump "Soon™." Note how they're all preorders and how Doom Eternal is there too, something that's very heavily being teased for the VGAs right now. This means that these are all announcements for unannounced 2021 games. The list also has the preorders being available by the end of the year, heavily suggesting that these preorders will open sometime in December.
So it’s the something else part I mentioned? Got it. Say, if this is VGA related, maybe we could see a Smash reveal there? Just wondering.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So it’s the something else part I mentioned? Got it. Say, if this is VGA related, maybe we could see a Smash reveal there? Just wondering.
Well... That's the thing...Up until this year, SKU dumps were a very reliable predictor of presentations. 2-3 weeks and then, bam, Direct Time. All SKU dumps show is that they INTENDED to reveal those games soon but we don't know if that's still in the plan. For example, there was a big SKU dump for what would have been E3 earlier this year. This where it becomes like microwaving a Hot Pocket:

-Nintendo has plans for December (warm cheesy pepperoni goodness)

-Nintendo HAD plans for December (hot as hell on the outside, frozen on the inside)

It's one of those things we won't know until we bite into it.

Firox

Smash Master
In an alternate Universe, Shigeru Miyamoto created the one of the most iconic video game and recognizable fictional characters of all time, Geno. There is a crossover game called, Super Smash Bros. One character that is a like a figure in the Smash hardcore Smash fanbase named, Mario. He is a one off party member from the SNES Classic game Super Geno RPG: Legend of the Seven Meatballs. Mario is a plumber that wants to eat 7 magical and powerful meatballs from spaghetti road to become the mightiest plumber. Many people do not get why Mario is wanted in Smash. He’s a on off stupid plumber from an old game. There are more worthy Geno and Square Enix characters. Will Mario join Smash? Stay tuned.
Alternate Universe Nintendo: "Why the heck would we need some stupid fat plumber owned by Square Enix when we could add another character from the Geno franchise?"

(Mallow gets revealed for Smash)

Alternate Universe Mario Fans: "..........but......BUT MUH PLUMBER!"

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that two of them are $108 and these are probably Collector's editions of unannounced games. If you guys remember, one of these leaked back in late August and it's 99% BotW2:

So, that just leaves 4 mystery games and one of them is a big enough deal to get a full ass collector's edition.
One of these could be from Square: they are known for always making Collector's Edition for their games.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alternate Universe Nintendo: "Why the heck would we need some stupid fat plumber owned by Square Enix when we could add another character from the Geno franchise?"

(Mallow gets revealed for Smash)

Alternate Universe Mario Fans: "..........but......BUT MUH PLUMBER!"
Honestly, no sarcasm, if Geno were to ultimately get cucked by a single character for Smash, I'd want it to be Mallow. If this winds up being another case of a sniper blowing our race horse's brains out in the final stretch, this would be the preferred outcome. Much further down the line, I would also accept Crono, if only because of the music.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, no sarcasm, if Geno were to ultimately get cucked by a single character for Smash, I'd want it to be Mallow. If this winds up being another case of a sniper blowing our race horse's brains out in the final stretch, this would be the preferred outcome. Much further down the line, I would also accept Crono, if only because of the music.
Perhaps, but I don't trust Square to not screw up their music picks for the third time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One of these could be from Square: they are known for always making Collector's Edition for their games.
This is a very good point. Sitting in my work van taking a coffee break, I realized that Nintendo itself is pretty limited when it comes to Collector's editions. Of the series that have gotten multiple Collector's edition games in recent history, you have: Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade. That's largely it. I think Samus Returns got one too but I don't remember. Obviously the thread through all of these is that they're RPGs of some variation. Square, on the other hand, pretty much does Collector's editions for ****in' everything. (Kingdom Hearts: Sora's Payless Shoes Special Edition with authentic sniffable shoe) Capcom is pretty notorious for this too as is Platinum. On the Capcom side of things, we know it's not Monster Hunter because, well, that's already been formally announced and even has solid release dates. This said, there's not a lot of Nintendo "partners" that are Horny on Main for Collector's editions so it definitely helps narrow things down in my opinion.

Firox

Smash Master
Perhaps, but I don't trust Square to not screw up their music picks for the third time.
No joke. I still refuse to ever play on Hero's stage due to the painfully terrible music on there. It's like they chose the crappiest 8-bit style music they could find but then tried to orchestrate it instead of leaving it 8-bit style. I can't stand listening to it. At least Cloud's two songs are actually good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom