• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It's dumb as hell to limit the availability of a digital game, and it may very well just be an attempt at selling something that wouldn't be very popular otherwise by preying on people's fear of missing out, but it's honestly whatever. Nintendo has been pulling this kind of stuff for years, if not decades at this point, and no one has noticed because they only recently started to have the common courtesy of letting people know. To provide a few examples:

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) had a limited first run in a Steelbook case shortly after Metroid Prime 3 released. To the best of my memory, Nintendo made no mention that this game would be limited, but it was on shelves for a time and then completely vanished, brought back only by fan demand/as a retail stunt years later in a normal plastic case.

Super Mario All Stars (Wii), released to celebrate Mario's 25th anniversary (a whole ****ing decade ago... kill me.) also had a limited retail release despite being nothing but an art book and a SNES game written to a disc. Again, to the best of my knowledge, Nintendo never said that it would be limited release, but it came on strong and then vanished. Much like Metroid Prime Trilogy, a plain plastic case version was released towards the end of the Wii's life.

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) after a lengthy fan demand movement (similar to a certain other one for a certain RPG and a certain wooden man), Nintendo finally localized Xenoblade Chronicles... And for some reason granted exclusive distribution to ****ing GameStop and their own online store. Nintendo did a poor job communicating this (though I suppose that's fair since social media wasn't necessarily the powerhouse of advertising at the time [though Nintendo still does a poor job communicating pretty much anything]), and it seems like Xenoblade lasted maybe a month or two tops in GameStop and on Nintendo's website before vanishing, mysteriously only being available used at almost every GameStop in the country for the paltry sum of $80. I believe that it too ended up getting a re-release.

Going back further, the Gamecube OoT/Master Quest collection disc was only available for preordering Wind Waker and the Zelda Collection for the same console was likewise locked behind preordering... something. Four Swords, maybe? Then there's Pokemon Box: Ruby and Sapphire, which isn't a game but still, it was only available at the Pokemon Center in NYC or via their website, for a limited time. If we go back to titles like Earthbound or Mega Man X3, projected "unpopular" or late-life console releases tended to have limited quantities produced, but that's kind of a different time, when games selling 1 million copies was cause for celebration.

Again, I totally concede the point that limiting a virtual release is shady, but for physical stuff, I can't say I don't understand. The market for people who absolutely have to have physical games is drying up, and even with as much as they've cut costs in physical production as is (smaller cases, less material, flimsier materials, no manual), there's probably some bean counter up there putting the idea in the minds of Nintendo's execs that they could save millions of dollars and have complete control over the release of their games (in light of street date breaking on physical copies) by going all digital. I could totally see an unfortunate future in which physical releases end up being limited 100% of the time before finally petering out forever as these consoles slowly start to lose their disc drives and move to being some cloud media station.

Enjoy this **** while it lasts, lads.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
If there was another fighter reveal at TGA it's 100% Crash and I don't have second thoughts, he has an announcement there before, and that guy in the Crash costume has made an appearance there as well. How funny would it be if after Crash's reveal, live-action Crash comes out on stage with a Smash invitation? Idk he just makes sense as a TGA reveal imo

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Everything lined up for a TGA reveal last year, even the spacing of the first pass with reveals and releases. And Three Houses won awards.

Despite all signs pointing to the TGAs as a perfectly logical and obvious choice, Nintendo instead didn't. And with their marketing department being......less than logical this year, we can't believe timing for Smash news that would make sense to us.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The Smash Challenge cup/tournament theory shouldn't be tossed aside until both tournaments have concluded and no reveal takes place no later than 10 days-2 weeks after it. So far, it's been our most consistent pattern for the second Fighter Pass

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever happens, I still think that Sakurai will present Challenger 8 either after the TGA or starting in January 2021.
Screenshot_20201021-181002_YouTube.jpg

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
"whatever happens"

so when Sakurai presents Challenger 8 before the Mario tournament in December he's going to present them AGAIN after TGA.

Nice, a double feature.
When? How would you know the Game Awards or before then will be when Fighter 8 is revealed?

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so I found something I think we should pay attention to.

So this is happening tomorrow and I feel as though we should perhaps stop by en mass to see if they are asking The Goddess Yoko about questions that are not KH related, because if they are in fact just asking her general questions, I would love for us to be there to ask her things about SMRPG.

Specifically, I want to know how she feels about SMRPG looking back at it, and what her thoughts are in regards to us hoping for more content for SMRPG even to this day. She is a major reasons why the game enraptured us so much and I would love her opinions on how fondly or not she looks back at her work on that game and what she thinks of us fans still wanting more from such a dead franchise all these years later, but it seems we will have to ask those questions via chat as far as I'm aware so we need to make sure there are a number of us there if we want a chance to have those questions answers.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I really think we'll be seeing Geno very soon. I think we'll see him before the Mario tournament in December. Even if we don't, I'll still hold out hope he returns before Mario's 35th anniversary ends in March.

Anyway, I'm planning to play through Super Mario RPG within the next few weeks. Been working on replaying Breath of the Wild for the millionth time LOL.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
-Yet another Japanese exclusive brought to the West.

-Yet another Nintendo franchise anniversary milestone that is being celebrated internationally.

-Nintendo not so subtly implying that this won't be the only Fire Emblem 30th anniversary announcement.

I'm dyin' lads... This puts a ton of points on the board for the Fire Emblem 6/7 remake I heard about last fall being true and it honestly makes me want to scream into the Void™. Jesus, how many of these rumors are going to be borderline confirmed but continue to be put on hold? New Kirby, new DK, Golden Sun Remake, SMRPG Remake, Zelda Remasters, and now probable Fire Emblem 6/7 remake... This year is nothing but suffering...
-Fire Emblem 30's Anniversary

-Elibe Remake on the cards.

-Lyn hasn't gotten a Mii Costume as DLC yet.........

-Sakurai and Nintendo will shill for FE at any chance they get.

....oh no.......

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm more shocked Nintendo is STILL keeping up the weekly announcements. When you actually look at what's happened every week over the last few months...
  • July 19th-25th : Partner Showcase
  • July 26th-August 1st : NOTHING
  • August 2nd-8th : Pikmin 3 Deluxe/Small Battlefield
  • August 9th-15th : NOTHING
  • August 16th-22nd : Indie World
  • August 23rd-30th : Partner Showcase : 2nd Impact
  • August 31st-September 5th : Mario 35th Direct
  • September 6th-12th : Age of Calamity
  • September 13th-19th : Partner Showcase : 3rd Strike
  • September 20th-26th : Kirby Fighters 2
  • September 27th-October 3rd : Pokemon/Steve
  • October 4th-10th : Treehouse
  • October 11th-17th : NOTHING
  • October 18th-24th : Shadow Dragon NES Translation
It's honestly been pretty good (even if I don't personally care about much of this stuff) in terms of announcements, and we almost certainly have another Partner Showcase next week to round out the month. At the same time though, and I know you're probably tired of hearing it at this point, I'm forced to ask the question that has plagued us this entire news cycle...

Last edited:

drewber2635

Smash Cadet
I really think we'll be seeing Geno very soon. I think we'll see him before the Mario tournament in December. Even if we don't, I'll still hold out hope he returns before Mario's 35th anniversary ends in March.

Anyway, I'm planning to play through Super Mario RPG within the next few weeks. Been working on replaying Breath of the Wild for the millionth time LOL.
Agreed. I also hope that when they do reveal him, they will finally put SMRPG on the SNES catalogue for Switch users. I’m still waiting Nintendo

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
They'll probably rerelease Mario RPG standalone in remake form instead of putting it on SNES online, cause of Square, and that green paper thing I don't know what's it called? 🤔

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I can’t wait to see if we get that SMRPG remake. I think one of my fondest memories of SMRPG is when my best friend and I in elementary school would work on the game together and go over each other’s houses. We would study the player’s guide. And of course I still have the guide to this day! As an artist I think I really started to shine at this time, as I would draw the cast from the game. I think it helped me with drawing in 3D. I’ve kept those drawings in one of my portfolios. I can’t tell you how much it means to me that Geno may be coming back along with a remake. I hope it happens!

I’m about to continue my current playthrough. I’m at Marrymore.

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
So since this is related to the Mario RPGs, what are your guy's thoughts on the Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi games! Mario and Mama Luigi is my favorite Mario RPG series. They're incredibly fun! Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are the goats. Still need to finish the Original Superstar Saga (I played DX first even though I have the original) Dream Team and Paper Jam.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
So since this is related to the Mario RPGs, what are your guy's thoughts on the Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi games! Mario and Mama Luigi is my favorite Mario RPG series. They're incredibly fun! Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are the goats. Still need to finish the Original Superstar Saga (I played DX first even though I have the original) Dream Team and Paper Jam.
I always loved the Mario and Luigi series. Paper Mario was good too. But M and L I’ve always felt was cut from the same cloth as SMRPG.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I own Super Paper Mario, but never played it much. I did get and enjoy Paper Mario: The Origami King, but didn't get around to beating it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We were shooting the **** on the Star Road Discord and I realized a few things:

-Nintendo usually announces major games or consoles roughly 5-6 months in advance which makes sense because this is typically the gap between E3 and the Holidays ©.

-Late March/April 2021 not so subtly keeps coming up.

-Amiibo waves are already scheduled through March.

-Super Mario 3D World Deluxe is the only first party game announced for 2021 so far.

-NSO updates have been about every two months this year meaning we're "due" in November. Along with this, going back to the Wii VC, Nintendo makes it a point to have updates in December too, usually with popular games before the Holidays ©.

-Nintendo has had an international November presentation of some kind every year since 2012.

Things are shaping up to be eventful for November and possibly December too.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Actually, aura for Lucario comes from the anime and Pokedex entries as being literally the aura Pokemon. Same thing with Pichu's electricity hurting itself in Smash is based on it's Dex entry not how it works in the games. You could, however, argue that liberties were taken with Incineroar to make it more wrestler-like than it is really shown to be in the games or anime but it's still pretty clearly a wrestler styled Pokemon regardless so it's not egregious. Blending the forms of Urfishu would be a huge liberty and would be too much imo.

But anyway...Geno being able to have customizations due to being a doll in a hypothetical sequel would be really cool and I think the direction to go. Almost like how Samus' suit gets upgrades. I wouldn't want Geno to really involve different toys because the original doll is so interesting and is largely why Geno is so cool imo so I think upgrades would be the way to go. Also, here's a story arch for you: Gaz's mom is an undercover Smithy agent who actually designed Geno dolls to be a part of Smithy's army.
By aura I meant it more so being a come back mechanic. Obviously he always has had aura but not necessarily the way it's actually portrayed in the games which comes back to my point of the horrible stamina mechanic from Brawl. To me the forms are pretty much the same.

The only real design difference which would be kind of hard to explain is that they both have different strand colours obscured on the body but since pallet swaps already kind of do that I don't think it's much of a problem. I don't really think Urshifu is the shill in 4 people don't think but I guess it has a shot nonetheless.

MattX20

Smash Hero

-Nintendo usually announces major games or consoles roughly 5-6 months in advance which makes sense because this is typically the gap between E3 and the Holidays ©.

-Super Mario 3D World Deluxe is the only first party game announced for 2021 so far.

-NSO updates have been about every two months this year meaning we're "due" in November. Along with this, going back to the Wii VC, Nintendo makes it a point to have updates in December too, usually with popular games before the Holidays ©.

-Nintendo has had an international November presentation of some kind every year since 2012.

These next two months will make and break points of speculation, that much is certain

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
You can even see his actual face if you look through its eyeholes.
That is an amazing detail! I don’t think I even noticed that!
I love both series, I never really played all of the games, but I always saw some videos of them, especially Paper Mario. I played Bowser’s Inside Story before on my friends 3DS sometime back and I had so much fun, I always wanted to buy the game for years now, especially the original version! But I do own Superstar Saga on the Wii U Virtual Console, last month I played it again after being stuck in one part a few years ago and I got to the mini game where Geno appears and me and my brother were freaking out and screaming when we saw him out of surprise! It was awesome! I stopped at the part where Psycho Kamek hypnotizes Luigi to think he’s Mario and starts saying his lines from 64!

As for Paper Mario, I only own The Origami King and I love it! I played through a lot of the game while I was waiting for Steve to come out and I’m at the purple desert area right now. I did play Sticker Star a few times years ago when my brother let me play sometimes. Though I always wanted to play The Thousand-Year Door for the Paper Mario Series and I always wanted to play Partners In Time for the Mario And Luigi Series!

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I know Geno is coming 100% but please OMG at least reveal him in November or even December with a date, but not TGA please.
Last year I saw TGA and I was so disappointed cause I was expecting character reveals hahaha. Geno is coming playable, I have zero doubts and 800% confidence. The thing is, at least given that he isn’t “7” anymore, bring him as 78 or 79. But having him as 80-81 or Bonus, would be so late and we are dying to see him return...

I think if the next character is FanFav, for sure Geno and Crash fits for 78-79; then probably Lloyd, Ryu, Porky, Pokemon, Isaac, Waluigi. Then Bonuses: Dixie, Bandana, Shadow. A great addition and probably the only franchise who deserves a new non echo rep is Sonic, so it would be nice to have Tails or Eggman (though Knuckles is my favorite there but would be fine anyone new). Just Sonic speaking, cause if it depends on my favorite franchises, just bring more from Zelda and Mega Man hahaha.

Anyway, just bring back Geno and no more asking. This is happening, Geno is descending to Smash, Geno will visit from above...

GENO GETS DLC ON THE ROAD!

Paraster

Smash Lord
Good to see a big name like Aaronitmar put up a video on potential excluded Smash costumes as future DLC, a good chunk is focused on Geno and why people should keep him on the radar:

Untitled.png

Okay, this would honestly be hilarious. (And not that unusual; Chrom's and K. Rool's costumes were in base Ultimate.)

QQS

Smash Lord
7EA8D449-2BEA-422A-96DF-9A3DC1B7E068.jpeg

Pinocchio Metaphor: Credits to BridgeofFaust on Newgrounds.

GENO AWAKENS!
GENO ALIGNS AS A STAR!
GENO SHOOTS INTO BATTLE!
GENO VISITS FROM ABOVE!
GENO SHOOTS FROM THE STARS!
GENO GETS POSSESSED!
GENO COMES BACK!
GENO STARS IN!
GENO SQUARES FROM THE STARS!
GENO SHOWS UP!
GENO DESCENDS!
GENO REPAIRS THE ROAD!
GENO SERVES A HIGHER DEMAND!
GENO APPEARS AS THE STARSEND SAVIOR!
GENO JOINS THE PARTY!

GENO JOINS ULTIMATELY!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I could see them announcing the Switch “Pro” in November honestly. I feel like there’s almost a 100% possibility they announce a game that is optimized for it too so, yeah, I kinda agree. I think TGA MIGHT have some stuff from Nintendo a lot better than last year since everyone is at least expecting a Zelda 35th Celebration which we could see there. That and the fact that we’re in the middle of the pass this year, unlike last year where we were at the end, I could see a Smash character announcement. It’s pretty likely next character is Late January- Early February so it lines up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom