• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 289495
How would you feel if we got another pokemon rep?
I would be mixed. It mainly depends on who it is. I don't really like Urshifu, Toxtricity, or Inteleon that much. Rillaboom would be fine (and complete the non-Gen 1 starter trilogy with Greninja and Incineroar) . Cinderace is definitely my pick, as I think a fire soccer rabbit would just be cool (no pun intended LOL). As long as Geno gets in, I'm not too worried about the other 3 slots. I'm still unsure if a Gen 8 Pokemon is even eligible, because it seems a lot of people are mixed on if the spirit event disconfirmed it or not. The way I look at it is: if the Paper Mario spirit event means no Paper Mario, then it should mean the Gen 8 spirit event means no Pokemon. Of course, we don't know IF Paper Mario or Pokemon is actually disconfirmed by that spirit event. We'll need to wait and see. Smash Bros. speculation is such a wild (but kinda fun) ride LOL.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 289495
Nah, not SH&SH since it’s one of my least favorite Pokémon games ever because of GF’s crap. I played the game twice and barely touched it ever since. I suppose Toxtricity or Rillaboom would work since they’re both on my team. We could use Rillaboom as a rhythm beat fighter with the drums. I’m not too worried about though because why add a rep since their was already a spirit event? Pokémon doesn’t even need Smash for any purpose. We need Grovyle. Not only a gen 3 rep but represents Mystery Dungeon in the next Smash game. With all that, Geno and Crash matters to me the most. If both are in, it wouldn’t bother that much.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
How many of you guys will still be playing the speculation game after Geno get's in? I'm not sure I can continue after the Geno voyage is over.
I believe I've mentioned this before, but I don't plan on leaving Smash speculation any time soon. While it may be equal parts boring and stressful at points, the fun I have trying to piece together who's coming greatly outweighs both.

I'd like to ask a counter question. Are there any threads on this site that share the same "feel" as this one? Geno and Steve are the only 2 characters that I am/was truly rooting for, so maybe I can cheer on someone else. I should clarify: By feel, I mean like the same kind of story/legacy that Geno's story had.
I think the closest you can get is the Isaac Thread. They're a pretty close-knit community who have been around since the Brawl/early Smash 4 days, they back a character from a relatively obscure yet dearly beloved RPG series, they have their own Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and papagenos papagenos -esque figureheads in Nazyrus Nazyrus and Billybae10K Billybae10K , and they're pretty in-depth when it comes to speculation and research.

Got a question for yall, what would you want to see in either a Mario RPG sequel or remake?
While I'm tempted to just say "lol just make a good game", I'll go with "do enough new and refrain from ****ing off the original too much". There's few things out there more annoying to me than watching a sequel constantly reference their predecessor's most notable and quotable moments, especially if it's done half-assedly, whilst offering little to nothing original of it's own. Basically, Terminator: Dark Fate.

Yooo this new controller for the NES, SNES NSO games is looking kinda clean! 👀
Aww, what a little cutie!~ ❤

Genobros, I present to you all (courtesy of PushDustin's tweet), Chadurai.
People out here complaining that we don't have Dante or Sora in Smash, yet nobody's raising a fuss about us not having this lad in Smash already.

View attachment 289495
Aside from the general feeling of disappointment, for me it all depends on who it is:
  • If it's Cinderace, I'd be very underwhelmed at least initially, though it could win me over if it's moveset and personality are great a la Incineroar.
  • If it's Rillaboom, I'd be fine with it since Rillaboom is a pretty cool design.
  • If it's Inteleon, it's tail time.
  • If it's Toxtricity, I wouldn't really care all too much.
  • If it's Zacien, I'd be fine with it.
  • If it's Zamazenta, I'd be asking why they didn't go with Zacien.
  • If it's Urshifu, Polarthief Polarthief needs to put on an Urshifu avatar for two weeks. Also, I'd be fine with it.
  • If it's not a Gen VIII Pokemon, I'll be somewhat glad they decided to break from tradition.
  • If it's anyone else but Rillaboom, I'll be receiving a warning from a moderator for trolling the grass starter thread.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
View attachment 289495
I’d like any of them but I’d be disappointed a little, but still happy since I still love Pokémon. I’d be happier, however, if it’s Inteleon, Sirfetch’d, Falinks, or a few others like Impidimp.

I’d be VERY HAPPY, however, if they chose Gengar.

Paraster

Smash Lord
View attachment 289495
Depends on the Pokemon. If it was one of my personal favorites, like Dhelmise, Noivern, Incineroar, or Roserade, I'd be esctatic. I'd also be pleased if it was something unique, whether in terms of design or gameplay, with potential examples being Dhelmise, Serperior, Chandelure, Aegislash, and Mawile.

and yes i listed dhelmise twice on purpose

novazvezda

Smash Cadet
If a new Pokemon rep somehow rose from the underworld to get into this pass, it would most certainly be from Galar since Fatmanonice stated, Pokemon is as stingy as a hive of Beedrills. It has to be from the new game. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be Urshifu or Toxtricity because the starters are always the forefront of the Pokemon games. I think the only reason Lucario got in was due to his exceptionally massive popularity if I'm not mistaken. There is that popularity poll for Pokemon Day, but I honestly think that was just for fun and so Pokemon would see where their marketing could hit the hardest. I don't think Cinderace is in because they would be very similar to Incineroar and every DLC fighter has been pretty unique so far. Rillaboom is a maybe. I don't see how they would move around with that big drum they have. Though, they do have interesting moveset potential. Inteleon is no way in any shape or form gonna be picked because they would be similar to Greninja and they have no distinct mechanic.

TLDR: I believe that if a SWSH rep happened, it's Rillaboom or bust. Let me be clear that it's a huge if. I think the timing is too far gone.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Last summer when Hero got released as a character, it was around the same time when the two Mario RPG songs were taken down. This is significant, as that's when one would think, Sakurai got the go ahead to get Geno in. Behind the scenes the second fighter's pass had already been in motion.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This has probably come up but after Steve, there is room for 9 more stages on the stage select screen.

So if the old Datamine is to be believed which I think is a no brainer at this point.

You have:

-The 4 remaining guys of Pass2

-A possible Pass 3- with no less than 4

- One extra guy left.

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
What if the whole FP 2 was delayed due Steve glitches or due nintendo requested the character to be completed before the rest... This means that the next year we will have the last 4.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Has there been any Geno related news?

Also I'm going to post my sprite updates in a social thread since it'll probably be more appropriate than here

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
If a pokemon is the next dlc, the pass will be a severe dissapointment for me. 3/6 characters who I don't give a **** about.
( i love min min's moveset but Idgaf about her as a character)
I think The Rock said it best(In Rock’s voice)
“If the DLC has any Pokemon in it, then DLC is gonna absolutely suck!”

MattX20

Smash Hero
Pokemon is not going to get a DLC fighter. Sword and Shield already had a spirit event. How many times must we go over that point? Besides, there are other franchises worth talking about that haven't had a spirit event yet

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Pokemon is not going to get a DLC fighter. Sword and Shield already had a spirit event. How many times must we go over that point? Besides, there are other franchises worth talking about that haven't had a spirit event yet
I mean, aside from that with the Pokemon spirit event it seems a lot less clear cut especially considering we get token Pokemon reps for every gen (won't elaborate), the person was asking how would you feel if we got a Pokemon rep, not whether one is likely. This kind of stuff is getting more common tbh, where people ask how they'd feel on something and then they go and say why one isn't happening. If anything you could just take that as someone not wanting to acknowledge the possibility so they try to find reasons as to why one is apparently not happening with topics that are related in name only. That could by extension be taken to mean that they think one is likely but just aren't acknowledging the possibility like I said.

Long story short we don't need to use a very loosely related topic as an excuse to discount as a character especially as it's seemingly because we are actively trying to discount one when the original question was just 'would you like it'. And I'm not gonna act as if this isn't a common practice as it is, since a gen 8 mon is obviously one of the most actively disliked possibilities about if not the most disliked whether it be Pokemon having too many reps or Gen 8 being controversial.

Longer story shorter we can just answer the question or just not answer, not automatically assume people are speculating on it and then list 'reasons' as to why it isn't happening. Especially if it's done to a choice which people would likely try to discount like a Pokemon due to all the controversy surrounding it. I see this sort of stuff happen a lot on tonnes of sites for tonnes of characters and even in similar practices outside of the community

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
This has probably come up but after Steve, there is room for 9 more stages on the stage select screen.

So if the old Datamine is to be believed which I think is a no brainer at this point.

You have:

-The 4 remaining guys of Pass2

-A possible Pass 3- with no less than 4

- One extra guy left.
There’s always the possibility of more free stages like Small Battlefield too. Where did you see that we have 9 stages left? I thought it was less than that. Very interesting if true.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
View attachment 289495
I feel like the time has definitely passed for another Pokemon rep.

-Pokemon got a placeholder for the base roster in 2015. Sakurai didn't even pick Inceniroar for another two years afterwards, likely making it the last character decided for the base roster by a considerable amount.

-Pokemon Sword and Shield spirit event last year. If they had plans for Sword and Shield, why did they play their cards so quickly? As a reminder, Three Houses spirits were delayed half a year for Byleth's inclusion. It's especially in your face that Sobble, Grookie, and Scorbunny were all mashed into one spirit battle.

-Pokemon is very particular about how their characters are depicted and has no problems with characters being dumped if they don't properly reflect the modern "brand" of Pokemon. Brawl saw the loss of Pichu and Mewtwo while Smash 4 lost Squirtle and Ivysaur. If TPC wanted a Pokemon to hork Gen 8, it would have been in by now and honestly probably would have been a Fighter's Pass character at the latest.

-TPC isn't a huge fan of paid DLC and even said in January that the Sword and Shield DLC was only being done so they didn't have to make an entirely new third game for Gen 8. Apparently there was a lot of infighting about having Mewtwo in Smash 4 with TPC ironically being the ones that wanted him to be free with Nintendo actively fighting them on this.

I think it's a weird thing that people won't let go because TPC doesn't appear to be super interested and neither do Smash fans in general. Ultimate already has its obligatory new Pokemon rep and it doesn't exactly help that the most wanted Gen 8 Pokemon is yet another fully evolved fire starter Pokemon. It would be different if the demand was there because a big reason why Mewtwo came back was because Mewtwo was one of the most wanted characters for Smash 4, period, but a Gen 8 Pokemon is significantly further down the list in what people want right now.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I feel like the time has definitely passed for another Pokemon rep.

-Pokemon got a placeholder for the base roster in 2015. Sakurai didn't even pick Inceniroar for another two years afterwards, likely making it the last character decided for the base roster by a considerable amount.

-Pokemon Sword and Shield spirit event last year. If they had plans for Sword and Shield, why did they play their cards so quickly? As a reminder, Three Houses spirits were delayed half a year for Byleth's inclusion. It's especially in your face that Sobble, Grookie, and Scorbunny were all mashed into one spirit battle.

-Pokemon is very particular about how their characters are depicted and has no problems with characters being dumped if they don't properly reflect the modern "brand" of Pokemon. Brawl saw the loss of Pichu and Mewtwo while Smash 4 lost Squirtle and Ivysaur. If TPC wanted a Pokemon to hork Gen 8, it would have been in by now and honestly probably would have been a Fighter's Pass character at the latest.

-TPC isn't a huge fan of paid DLC and even said in January that the Sword and Shield DLC was only being done so they didn't have to make an entirely new third game for Gen 8. Apparently there was a lot of infighting about having Mewtwo in Smash 4 with TPC ironically being the ones that wanted him to be free with Nintendo actively fighting them on this.

I think it's a weird thing that people won't let go because TPC doesn't appear to be super interested and neither do Smash fans in general. Ultimate already has its obligatory new Pokemon rep and it doesn't exactly help that the most wanted Gen 8 Pokemon is yet another fully evolved fire starter Pokemon. It would be different if the demand was there because a big reason why Mewtwo came back was because Mewtwo was one of the most wanted characters for Smash 4, period, but a Gen 8 Pokemon is significantly further down the list in what people want right now.
I'd just like to point out more briefly again that the person was asking how would people feel. I understand why people don't want a new Pokemon but I'm fairly certain people are only bringing it up as if they were talking about likelihood because of a knee-jerk reaction as no one wants a new Pokemon. It just makes it seem like people are bringing up such a controversial choice at every chance they get just to try to reestablish to people why one is supposedly not happening but those kind of reactions could be taken that the possibility isn't being accepted and is being shot down when even an unrelated mention of it is made, which like I said is not surprising.

May as well say that like pretty much everyone else, my choice would depend. Any of the starters could be cool with the edge on Inteleon because of the spy motif but Toxtricity could be cool too.

I'm not gonna go into species although I feel most of these points have been disproven before so not worth getting into. I've kind of got the idea that if people are assuming speculation equates how someone would feel about it, then their minds aren't gonna change although the lack of being open to the idea of it does indicate gatekeeping or something along those lines which could the possibility wouldn't be too surprising once open to it but it doesn't matter either way

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well if Geno make it in this FP2 who will you support next? I mean since Banjo and Kazooie are in it seems the fans now support conker same with the K. K. R. Fans Now they support Dixie.
I support a lot of characters. But after Geno get's in, I'll mainly be spending most of my time on this site in the Shantae thread.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Well if Geno make it in this FP2 who will you support next? I mean since Banjo and Kazooie are in it seems the fans now support conker same with the K. K. R. Fans Now they support Dixie.
I’ll probably stick around to support Marx from Kirby. I personally think Bandana Waddle Dee should get the slot first since his fans have been going at this for a really long time, but after that I’m going all in on that crazy jester.

Now that I’m thinking about it, Marx and Geno have a lot of things in common...:
  • Both debuted in a Super Nintendo game
  • Both want the protagonist to find differently colored stars that help grant wishes.
  • Both wear some pretty iconic hats
  • Both are associated with the stars/cosmos
dear god marx is a chaotic evil geno

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I’ll probably stick around to support Marx from Kirby. I personally think Bandana Waddle Dee should get the slot first since his fans have been going at this for a really long time, but after that I’m going all in on that crazy jester.

Now that I’m thinking about it, Marx and Geno have a lot of things in common...:
  • Both debuted in a Super Nintendo game
  • Both want the protagonist to find differently colored stars that help grant wishes.
  • Both wear some pretty iconic hats
  • Both are associated with the stars/cosmos
dear god marx is a chaotic evil geno
Both Geno and Marx debut in 1996 as that's the year both SMRPG and Kirby Superstar came out.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
After Geno I'll continue supporting Waluigi. I'm all for Rex, Bandana Dee, Dixie and so much more, but Waluigi would be the last fighter I'd truly want if Geno makes it in or vice versa. Anything after Geno and Waluigi is just icing on the cake for me. After that I think I would spend most of my time in the roster/icon maker thread, though I'll still lurk around here and other threads from time to time

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I always feel the most disrespect gets thrown at the old time characters. It happened to most of whom have got in the game already and it’s what continues to happen to Geno. All of these characters deserve to be in.
You're not wrong. Mainly zoomers who didn't grow up with the classics and have zero attachments towards most of the Retro games before their time hate or disrespect the old timey characters like K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Crash, ect the most.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I always feel the most disrespect gets thrown at the old time characters. It happened to most of whom have got in the game already and it’s what continues to happen to Geno. All of these characters deserve to be in.
You're not wrong. Mainly zoomers who didn't grow up with the classics and have zero attachments towards most of the Retro games before their time hate or disrespect the old timey characters like K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Crash, ect the most.
This happens to newer gen characters too, like my favorite who is now in (Steve). It goes both ways, unfortunately, people acting spoiled rotten to each other and coming up with the stupidest reasons and assumptions to dismiss the characters and their fans such as “meme pick” etc.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This happens to newer gen characters too, like my favorite who is now in (Steve). It goes both ways, unfortunately, people acting spoiled rotten to each other and coming up with the stupidest reasons and assumptions to dismiss the characters and their fans such as “meme pick” etc.
It's ridiculous because people shouldn't ignore something because it's a product before their time. People who only play Retro games or only play new games are missing out on great games from either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom