• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
here to elaborate on my steve/geno e3 theory because i feel like it
people forget that e3 at its core is a business show for business people to watch and decide who they want to do business with. thats what it started as and what it always will be. i think thats why they showed hero and banjo together
they showed hero first so investors and what not would see that and go "mmm yes they put four guys from one of the biggest most influential rpg franchises of all time in their funny fighting game thats smart" and give them five stars on the business chart or whatever the hhhheck people with actual lives do at e3. business george would see banjo and not understand why they did that. why did you put the protags of a franchise that the people with the money dont care about anymore nintendo?? are you dumb?? are you stupid?? but who cares what business george thinks. banjo was for the fans, not him
and thats why they would show steve and geno together.

steve is from the best selling game of ALL time, and geno is a party member from an semi obscure spinoff game from the 90s. business george wouldnt care about our boy but you BET he would care about steve. like dude hes probably even dabbled in the Craft at some point in his life thats how big of a deal minecraft is. hed be so amazed by the feat of putting him in smash that hed see geno and think "yeah ok i dont know who that is but steve makes up for the No Money youre gonna make on that" because hes dumb and doesnt know that people like geno. meanwhile smash fans are pooping everywhere and crying of joy and giving nintendo all of their money

i dont know how this stuff works im talking out of my crapper but thats my thoughts

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
How many of you guys will still be playing the speculation game after Geno get's in? I'm not sure I can continue after the Geno voyage is over.
ive got a whole lot of characters i want in other than geno (crash, rayman, conker even though thats never gonna happen, chun li, dante). genos just my main horse in this race so until dlc wraps up im not getting out of this chair

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Yooo this new controller for the NES, SNES NSO games is looking kinda clean! 👀
I was gonna bring this up! Was there a leak of this exact controller design within the last year? I vaguely remember seeing this exact thing.

Also, that is a really clean design lol

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
why does this remind me of a hotel in new york i stayed at

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
View attachment 289477
An interesting conversation I had with someone on instagram today (Censored their account for privacy purposes).

Look, I’m not here to kick up a fuss and damn all Geno detractors to hell or anything, but this particular altercation made me realize that a lot of people like this particular commenter don’t want to like Geno. They’ll ask the same questions over and over again (i.e. “Why do people like Geno?”or “Why should he be in Smash?”), and when people try to answer their question they usually just flat out ignore it.

Again, this isn’t me incurring a witch hunt or anything, just an observation. Characters don’t have to be massive media juggernauts and be liked by billions of people to deserve a spot in Smash. I wish more people would realize that...
What does he need? A full goddamn academic paper to justify why we want to see a character in a children's party game?

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Interesting note is that Nintendo is pushing a 3rd party controller, which has... like... never happened... ever?

I'm ready waaaay too into this, but maybe Nintendo is finally willing to cozy up with 3rd parties in their hardware/proprietary add-ons department? Those rumors for GamePass/Xbox Live never really died, and Nintendo apparently said they want to make another competitive console again (i.e. modern hardware). Methinks something interesting is afoot... we may even hear more about these plans next year.........

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
If I didn't already have a couple of 8BitDo controllers, I'd consider getting this one. It looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
How many of you guys will still be playing the speculation game after Geno get's in? I'm not sure I can continue after the Geno voyage is over.
I'm not going to be leaving the Geno thread if he gets in, but I might pop into the Lloyd and Hayabusa threads assuming they haven't already been costumed or spirited by that point.

Not because I'm particularly gunning for either of these characters, but because they're the two I feel have the most going for them.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm still trying to determine my place in the Smash community. I said I'm going to stick around until the end of Ultimate but I'm not really interested in continuing the insider stuff for obvious reasons once Ultimate is done. Once Geno's in, that whole "arc" is done and I don't know what all I can contribute.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’m seeing Ultimate through the end. There’d still be characters I’d want to see (Crash, for one) and I feel like this journey I’ve started since March 2018 should only end once the last character is released.

But after that? I am DONE with smash speculation for a good long while.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I'm still trying to determine my place in the Smash community. I said I'm going to stick around until the end of Ultimate but I'm not really interested in continuing the insider stuff for obvious reasons once Ultimate is done. Once Geno's in, that whole "arc" is done and I don't know what all I can contribute.
Once Geno gets in, I expect fatman to post a gif of the star leaving Geno’s body in SMRPG and then NEVER posting again.

could you imagine? What an epic way to make an exit

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Speculation is fun and it would be a lot more fun if I didn't have a dog in the race. I've wanted Geno exclusively since after Melee and every character, even the ones I've said "I hope this character gets in" (which for me has been Greninja, Robin, Shulk, and Richter) are just... meh. Every day of the Brawl Dojo I waited and hoped for three characters: Geno, Isaac, and Lloyd. I've watched all three of them get cucked since those innocent days, Isaac twice.

Needless to say, it does a lot to a person to see every character they really want get disrespected and I really am at the point where if I could just get my most wanted, this stupid ****ing doll from exactly one (1) video game, I'd just stop caring about who else got in. It'd be fun to root for Isaac and Lloyd but I'm not going to slave over a hot rumor mill hanging on every word or coincidence like I have with Geno. It's not ****ing worth it.
Amen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll be hoping for Dante and Doomguy (Crash and Chief too, just not as much) but won't be active like I am now. I'm so burned out on waiting.
There's this too. The wait for Geno has been a rollercoaster...

Smash 4 has a Fighter Ballot and Geno's doing really good!

Oh wait... He's a Mii costume...

But wait! Sakurai talked really highly of him!

But wait! SMRPG was included in the SNES Classic!

But wait! Ridley and K. Rool are in Smash!

But wait! Geno's in the Seven Squares and Grinch leak!

Oh wait... He's a spirit and Grinch was a total sham....

But wait! He's supposedly a big topic at NoA!

Oh wait... The evidence is stacked that the first Square DLC is Dragon Quest...

But wait! Geno's Mii costumes have allegedly leaked!

But wait! Geno's Mii costume is missing!

But wait! More DLC is coming!

But wait! Cacomallow!

But wait! SMRPG Remake rumors!

But wait! Legacy XD C&D!

Oh wait... COVID and E3's cancelled...

But wait! Spirits don't deconfirm!

But wait! All these prominent insiders are teasing Geno!

But wait! There's a major Mario Smash tournament being hosted by Nintendo itself!

But wait! Steve proves companies being present in the Fighter's Pass is a non issue for Season 2!

Oh wait... We're now realizing that Geno's "Ultimate arc" has been going on for almost 5 YEARS now and had nearly half a year tacked on because of a once in a lifetime pandemic...

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

Oh wait... He's Mii costume...

But wait! Cacomallow!

But wait! Legacy XD C&D!

But wait! There's a major Mario Smash tournament being hosted by Nintendo itself!

But wait! Steve proves companies being present in the Fighter's Pass is a non issue for Season 2!

Oh wait... We're now realizing that Geno's "Ultimate arc" has been going on for almost 5 YEARS now and had nearly half a year tacked on because of a once in a lifetime pandemic...
BUT WAIT! if steve has been worked on for five years, that lines up with all these Geno rumors! Geno could have started around the same time!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
BUT WAIT! if steve has been worked on for five years, that lines up with all these Geno rumors! Geno could have started around the same time!
I have no proof of this but I suspect that Steve and Geno were originally supposed to be costumes to go alongside Banjo and Hero. They were both moved to FP2 as full characters

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree, especially since it's highly speculated that Fighter's Pass 2 may have been decided around E3 2019
I have no proof of this but I suspect that Steve and Geno were originally supposed to be costumes to go alongside Banjo and Hero. They were both moved to FP2 as full characters

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
People keep forgetting to mention how complicated Steve/Alex's implementation was - which probably won't apply to every single character. 5 years is not a normal development time.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
You could always enjoy retirement and the rest of the ride.

But you have a pretty solid analytical place in Nintendo in general. If you get the feeling that you wanna keep going, you could always contribute your pattern analysis to helping figure out big and small general Nintendo-isms in the future.

Or, my personal favorite, become mayor of a town in Minnesota and invest an entire town's money into a winter sports complex so you could truly be on top of ice (protip for really making sure your username checks out, just put on about 200 pounds. in general).

Any of those 3.
Any of them at all.
The first two no longer count. I'm taking them back.

In any case, it'd be a shame to see you vanish. But you should definitely take it easy my dude BE THE ICE TOWN MAYER

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With Minecraft content in the cards for 5 years with only discussions that lasted most of the time probably on how Minecraft is represented, I can’t really imagine any character take 5 years of development. I can see Geno not having any plans because the spirit for base and FP1 and then finally give him a second chance like Min Min.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Oh wait... He's Mii costume...

But wait! Cacomallow!

But wait! Legacy XD C&D!

Geno in Smash is my favorite anime.

I love the CacoMallow arc.

Genome

Smash Cadet
To any veteran members of this thread, what are the craziest/funniest things you've experienced here in the past 3 years?
And if you have a good story about Smashboards in general I'd like to hear that too.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's this too. If Nintendo was already strongly considering DLC characters for Ultimate in 2015, it definitely puts a new perspective on the "upgrades" Ultimate has gotten so far:

Upgraded from ALT to playable:

Daisy
Chrom
Dark Samus

Upgraded from Mii costume to assist trophy:

Knuckles
Black Knight
Akira
Rathalos
Zero

Upgraded from AT to playable:

Isabelle
Dark Samus

Upgraded from Mii costume to playable:

K. Rool
Inkling
Isabelle
Chrom

Upgraded from boss to playable:

Ridley

Upgraded from trophy to playable:

Inkling
Ken

What's interesting about this is that all the third party costume pairs from Smash 4's DLC got an upgrade to an assist trophy. Knuckles was chosen of the Sonic pair, Akira of the Virtua Fighter pair, Rathalos of the Monster Hunter pair, and Zero of the Megaman pair that weren't other versions of Megaman. It's pretty notable that the only third party costumes that didn't get an upgrade were ones that weren't paired with anyone in their respective waves: Heihachi, Lloyd, Geno, and Gil. Heihachi and Gil are now back, shining a hard light on the fact that Namco and Square haven't gotten upgrades in any form yet. It also highlights how there has yet to be a unique third party playable upgrade at all. The only one that was upgraded was Ken, an echo, in the base game.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I’m confident Geno will make it as playable, but if we can get the same treatment Bomberman did, I would call it a win!

I want playable Geno for sure, that's the dream

But

If it turns out it's CRONO instead (and silly Sakurai stopwatch picture that probably means nothing is actually something) and Geno does NOT get the Mii costume returning, rather he gets a NEW DELUXE Mii costume on the same level as said Bomberman suit... I'd be a pretty happy kid too. TWO characters from SNES RPGs from umpteen years ago (maybe TECHNICALLY more if Crono's friends pop in for Double techs as part of his moveset).

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
People keep forgetting to mention how complicated Steve/Alex's implementation was - which probably won't apply to every single character. 5 years is not a normal development time.
Plus it’s unlikely Steve actually took 5 years; he was discussed that long, but dev work likely only started last year or 2018 at the earliest if they had bonus fighters planned besides full DLC passes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of the Smash 4 to Ultimate transition, this is basically how it went:

Konami: 1 veteran, 1 new, 1 echo, 1 veteran AT, 2 new ATs, 2 new Mii costumes

SEGA: 2 veterans, 1 new, 1 veteran AT, 3 new ATs, 4 returning Mii costumes, 4 new Mii costumes

Capcom: 2 veterans, 1 echo, 4 new ATs, 4 returning Mii costumes

Namco: 1 veteran, 1 veteran AT, 2 veteran Mii costumes

Square: 1 veteran, 1 new, 4 new Mii costumes

This further highlights the discrepancy between Namco and Square vs the others returning from Smash 4. It's also notable that SEGA and Konami are the only two of these five companies that have gotten all their "veteran" content back. Konami had a unique newcomer in base while SEGA had a unique newcomer in the Fighter's Pass. Going hand in hand with Power of Six theory, this also heavily suggests that Square, Capcom, and Namco will continue to get content until everything returns from Smash 4.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nobody is arguing that other characters will be as complicated as Steve but it further raises the point that they were serious about getting their ducks in a row for Ultimate as far back as 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon Quest took years to hammer out either. Sakurai has also mentioned that he always has a placeholder for a new Fire Emblem character and a Pokemon character with each new game at the very beginning of development, with Inceniroar supposedly not being picked until late 2017 and Byleth 2018 (I believe) after playing a Three Houses demo. With this in mind, we reasonably have proof that at least 3 of the current 8 DLC characters were technically picked as far back as 2015. That's the big takeaway. There's reasons why characters are held back for long periods of time and it can honestly be something as simple as timing and prioritizing other stuff first.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Genobros, I present to you all (courtesy of PushDustin's tweet), Chadurai.
He had to stop wearing it because it made him so powerful that the office he was working in was in danger of combustion.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

gzmee

Smash Apprentice

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom