• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The fact that we don't have that many pieces from Mario RPG's (Like the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series) is a crime. Oh and also speaking of music from Mario RPG's, was Forest Maze a music track in Smash 4? I think it was only ever used in Geno's Mii costume trailer, which I find odd.
it’s criminal how we have hardly any mario and Luigi RPG themes and out of the ones we do have we only have 1 of the final boss themes which is the bowsers inside story final boss theme

where’s the other final boss bangers like

dream teams

paper jams

and even bowser he’s journey final boss theme

they deserve to be in smash

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Man its really depressing just how quiet this thread has been since CP7 turned out to be Steve...
There's not a whole lot to talk about when it comes to Smash speculation, since odds are pretty good that we won't get any news on that front for 1-3 months. (plus, people are likely busy trying out the new Smash character, or they have other things going on)

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
So how's the geno hunt going? I don't know how much care i have left for ultimate so I'll probably be pretty sporadic from here on out but my love for our boy in blue is as strong as ever. What am I up to now? prepping my man for the grudge match of the century with Spatulo Spatulo
View attachment 289427
[/QUOTE]

Nice! Bomberman vs Geno would be huge!

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So how's the geno hunt going? I don't know how much care i have left for ultimate so I'll probably be pretty sporadic from here on out but my love for our boy in blue is as strong as ever. What am I up to now? prepping my man for the grudge match of the century with Spatulo Spatulo
View attachment 289427
Any time, any place.
01D0A53A-9942-4FEC-8821-CF4985F4857B.jpeg

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
View attachment 289434
This kind of dispels the whole "Assist Trophies can't be upgraded because it wouldn't make sense for them to show up in battle with the same fighter" thing, doesn't it?

The rest of this pass is gonna be wild, I can feel it
The fact that the costume is DLC also dispels the "Assist Trophies can't be upgraded because they'd be selling content that's already in the base game" argument that I've seen used more than once.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
it’s criminal how we have hardly any mario and Luigi RPG themes and out of the ones we do have we only have 1 of the final boss themes which is the bowsers inside story final boss theme

where’s the other final boss bangers like

dream teams

paper jams

and even bowser he’s journey final boss theme

they deserve to be in smash
Dream Team's penultimate boss theme is arguably just as much of a banger

Last edited:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but weren't insiders teasing something (probably another Partner Showcase) for the 16th a while back? I don't remember who exactly, but I guess if that's true Nintendo is just gonna shadowdrop this one.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I’ll tell you what. The Bomberman Mii costume is such a joy to play as! Brawler shot put and the kick moves mixed with turning the bomb items on, it feels just like Bomberman! I had Super Bomberman 2 for SNES as a kid and wanted to see him get in as a fighter, and now I have him! I also used Big Blue omega form from F Zero as the stage with Planet Colors as the music!

I’m confident Geno will make it as playable, but if we can get the same treatment Bomberman did, I would call it a win!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Mario's 35th anniversary celebration is ending in March since that's when 3D All Stars will be off the shelves and when all these other little games on the Eshop disappear forever. What if FP8 isn't revealed until March and it's Geno to finish off the Mario 35th anniversary celebration? I know FP8 was likely originally a E3 reveal before the event got cancelled, but I could see this being the change of plans for our puppet boi.

D

Deleted member

The rest of this pass is gonna be wild, I can feel it
I wish I had this kind of faith anymore but after Steve, combined with how I'm feeling about the insider front, I'm out of gas.

Very bold indeed but is a hill I'm willing to die on nevertheless, slain at the edge of whomevers blade is stood upon the ground before me after having met my fate.

In all seriousness I personally don't think it's too bold. One month after Steve? Based on that alone I'm surprised people are considering it plausible. At least the people who aren't ignoring it. Still hopefully it's not too long but we surely must be waiting till December at the earliest.
That's fair, and I wouldn't consider it too bold if we didn't have two things lined up for us: Steve was supposedly an E3 reveal and this Mario tournament's suspicious delay. This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't wait until Minecon for Steve as a contractual matter... That is to say, perhaps Microsoft practically demanded that their property be revealed at E3 to supplement their show, and since that got scrapped, they were in the driver's seat to choose when the character got shown off. Unlikely, but it could have happened, I just sort of don't see Nintendo giving a rat's ass about lining up a reveal to an event like that when they've ignored virtually every opportunity to do something similar in the past. If true, definitely another reason I would have preferred Steve to be 11, a fittingly sour note to end on and they could delay that character until the cows come home, especially if Geno had already gotten in.

Regardless of what is absolutely baseless speculation, the Mario tournament's delay is the most telling to me. COVID delays, that's fine... But there's no reason to assume this tournament wasn't scheduled to be announced as far back as April, which is when we have promotional material showing a Mario Maker 2 event to be scheduled. I've gone over this timing in this thread before, but we got the tournament announced in September for November or December (which we now know is December), so a three month gap. If the tournament was announced in April with that same three month gap, it would have been July when the tournament happened, which would have been after E3. But, that's unlikely, since July would probably have been Steve's release barring any major delay. What's funkier about that is how for some unknowable reason, we had a week of no Smash event when an in-game tournament should have happened as the Mario tournament got announced.

We know that Smash can move its events around as it pleases and they are planned well in advance, so that could also suggest that the week the Mario tournament was announced was when it was originally supposed to be held, and assuming this same three month gap once more, it would have been announced in June, which if I recall correctly, the general mood was that there was a fair selection of Mario 35th stuff that would have been announced at E3, regardless. I don't think I have to say it, but just in case I need to state the obvious, everything in this situation is coming up "Mario character at E3".

So, they announced the Mario tournament when it would be thematically correct to do so, as holding off on it or any announcements for it until after Steve would have made it too obvious that the next character is a Mario character... Then they finally nail a date down for the tournament after showing off a character who is decidedly not a Mario character. I feel like it's safe to say that plans have not changed and we could very well be looking at a reveal and release before December.

The worst part about all of this?

I don't even think it's Geno anymore, so I can't even say I'm looking forward to potentially being right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How many of you guys will still be playing the speculation game after Geno get's in? I'm not sure I can continue after the Geno voyage is over.
I'm going to. Speculating about who's going to make it in has got me to try Ninja Gaiden, Shantae, Golden Sun, Xenoblade (and the other Operation Rainfall games, but mostly Xenoblade), and Fire Emblem Awakening (among others; that's not even counting the series that Smash itself has gotten me into), so I find it to be a good way to broaden my horizons when it comes to the games that I play.

Last edited:

novazvezda

Smash Cadet
How many of you guys will still be playing the speculation game after Geno get's in? I'm not sure I can continue after the Geno voyage is over.
I'd like to ask a counter question. Are there any threads on this site that share the same "feel" as this one? Geno and Steve are the only 2 characters that I am/was truly rooting for, so maybe I can cheer on someone else. I should clarify: By feel, I mean like the same kind of story/legacy that Geno's story had.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do think we're going to get at least one more reveal and release this year just because of what I talked about the other day in how Smash news in November and December has been incredibly consistent since Melee. I also feel this because of when Steve was announced. He was announced literally the first day of October. Based on past precedent, if he was the last character of the year, they probably would have spun their wheels until at least late October like in 2014 when they announced Mewtwo. I definitely agree that things are weirdly shaping up for another character reveal by mid November.

D

Deleted member

Speculation is fun and it would be a lot more fun if I didn't have a dog in the race. I've wanted Geno exclusively since after Melee and every character, even the ones I've said "I hope this character gets in" (which for me has been Greninja, Robin, Shulk, and Richter) are just... meh. Every day of the Brawl Dojo I waited and hoped for three characters: Geno, Isaac, and Lloyd. I've watched all three of them get cucked since those innocent days, Isaac twice.

Needless to say, it does a lot to a person to see every character they really want get disrespected and I really am at the point where if I could just get my most wanted, this stupid ****ing doll from exactly one (1) video game, I'd just stop caring about who else got in. It'd be fun to root for Isaac and Lloyd but I'm not going to slave over a hot rumor mill hanging on every word or coincidence like I have with Geno. It's not ****ing worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I do think we're going to get at least one more reveal and release this year just because of what I talked about the other day in how Smash news in November and December has been incredibly consistent since Melee. I also feel this because of when Steve was announced. He was announced literally the first day of October. Based on past precedent, if he was the last character of the year, they probably would have spun their wheels until at least late October like in 2014 when they announced Mewtwo. I definitely agree that things are weirdly shaping up for another character reveal by mid November.
That, and most likely, FP8 going by the recent tournament trend will be revealed at bare minimum sometime after one of the upcoming Challenge Cups for Smash.

domriver

Smash Lord
After Geno's fate is done and over with. I don't know. I am rooting for other characters like
King Boo , a character from Fatal Frame ( the twins) with ghosts as attacks would be very unique.
Madam Broode
1602861554613.png
she would be very unique and cool to use with her chain chomp.
Resident Evil. Sigma, Vile just to a new a few others.

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
I'll still follow it, but I don't have any strong feelings over any other character other than Geno.

At this point, I'm missing the Mii costume. Mii Gunner is pretty cool to play. (At least we have that sweet Sans outfit.)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Man its really depressing just how quiet this thread has been since CP7 turned out to be Steve...
There's just sort of a fatigue right now in just wanting it to happen. Steve ironically pushed things even further in Geno's favor but this is nothing new. The number of good things in Geno's favor has been continuously growing this whole year so Steve adding even more doesn't warrant a firework show. Remember Banjo and how so many things were hinting at him that the only way to still count him out was through the absolute hardest of denial? That lasted a few weeks and Geno's arguably been at that point for going on 3 months now and everyone's just kind of tired.

domriver

Smash Lord
Got a question for yall, what would you want to see in either a Mario RPG sequel or remake?
More of Smithy's world. Story wise im intrigued with Smithy and his mechanical world. Of course Geno's origins. If i recall correctly he just 1 of many star warriors out there. So whos Geno's boss? What became of Queen Valentina and Booster.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
8CCD29D3-A520-4ACA-9AA0-6893F246BF27.png

An interesting conversation I had with someone on instagram today (Censored their account for privacy purposes).

Look, I’m not here to kick up a fuss and damn all Geno detractors to hell or anything, but this particular altercation made me realize that a lot of people like this particular commenter don’t want to like Geno. They’ll ask the same questions over and over again (i.e. “Why do people like Geno?”or “Why should he be in Smash?”), and when people try to answer their question they usually just flat out ignore it.

Again, this isn’t me incurring a witch hunt or anything, just an observation. Characters don’t have to be massive media juggernauts and be liked by billions of people to deserve a spot in Smash. I wish more people would realize that...

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
It would have been really nice if Geno or in this case ♥♪!? made a cameo in Paper Mario near the end game as his star form. Paper Mario and Mario RPG have similar themes with wishing now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I will. I’ll still be here because there’s a lot more to do still when Geno gets in, for example the next steps is getting square Enix or Nintendo to use him more. However I’ll be probably popping over into a few other speculation threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom