• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I've seen this take from you about Sora, and I have to say as someone who has Kingdom Hearts as their all-time favorite video game series, this just isn't an accurate representation of the series. The original KH characters are far more important to the series than the Disney characters. I'm fairly certain that almost all Sora fans would think he and the KH series would be represented fine without Disney stuff. I would actually prefer if Sora came with no Disney content.
This is a fair point and I'm glad you would be okay no matter what Sora brings. Even I myself am not against Sora despite the fact that I don't think he has much of a chance. But from what I've heard from most KH fans, it seems like Disney is a huge factor for Kingdom Hearts and it would be really weird without that representation, and if Sora were to get in Smash, they may even have to remove the Mickey keychain from his Keyblade, and that would really suck.

I'm sure Sakurai could find a way to represent Kingdom Hearts well enough that it doesn't need the Disney stuff, but doing so would greatly limit the possibilities that Sora and the Kingdom Hearts franchise could have in Smash, and that's why I genuinely think Sora isn't the best fit for Smash, considering his huge ties to non-video game characters.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This is a fair point and I'm glad you would be okay no matter what Sora brings. Even I myself am not against Sora despite the fact that I don't think he has much of a chance. But from what I've heard from most KH fans, it seems like Disney is a huge factor for Kingdom Hearts and it would be really weird without that representation, and if Sora were to get in Smash, they may even have to remove the Mickey keychain from his Keyblade, and that would really suck.

I'm sure Sakurai could find a way to represent Kingdom Hearts well enough that it doesn't need the Disney stuff, but doing so would greatly limit the possibilities that Sora and the Kingdom Hearts franchise could have in Smash, and that's why I genuinely think Sora isn't the best fit for Smash, considering his huge ties to non-video game characters.
I'm not anti sora, but from my personal experience, KH focuses a lot on friendships and your partners. And to have no incorporation of Dolan and Gooby would just feel a bit weird, imo. Sakurai strives to make characters kinda match what's important in their game, give them a familiar playstyle.

Edit: To be clear sakurai could absolutely do it. It would just never feel 100% right to me, so maybe it's just a nitpick

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I've seen this take from you about Sora, and I have to say as someone who has Kingdom Hearts as their all-time favorite video game series, this just isn't an accurate representation of the series. The original KH characters are far more important to the series than the Disney characters. I'm fairly certain that almost all Sora fans would think he and the KH series would be represented fine without Disney stuff. I would actually prefer if Sora came with no Disney content.
I'm the exact opposite. Kid with a key-shaped sword? Alright, that's cool. He could probably be fun.

Kid with a key-shaped sword and fights alongside Donald and Goofy? Yes please

Musubi

Smash Apprentice

I don't want to get too off topic in the Geno thread talking about Sora, but Disney isn't that important to the series. Disney content is pretty much just used to give levels to each game. Kingdom Hearts has a very large and complicated overarching plot that pretty much has nothing to do with any of the Disney stuff. In most of the games, that main plot mainly gets developed after the player has beaten every Disney world. Maybe in KH1 the Disney content was very important, but at this point by KH3, it feels like Kingdom Hearts is it's own original series that just happens to have Disney content mixed in.

Sora would actually be a perfect character to add to Smash. He is one of the biggest fan requests, his game series is huge and spans almost 20 years, and he could have a very unique and fun moveset that could incorporate aerial combos and/or keyblades transformations. Even if he doesn't come with Disney stuff, there are lots of fine stage ideas, there is a ton of original music, and there are plenty of original character that can be spirits. As for the Mickey Mouse symbol, assuming that would be an issue, they could either replace it with Sora's crown symbol, replace with a Smashball, or just create a unique Smash-style keyblade. Even then, if the mouse symbol on the keyblade was the only Disney content he Sora came with, I don't think that would be that big of an issue.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I love Kingdom Hearts (UNTIL AFTER 2, nothing past 358/2 Days exists in my mind) but I just don't really want Sora in Smash. I don't really know why, there's just something about the idea that feels wrong to me. I wouldn't be mad if he showed up or anything, but imagining Sora fighting Mario and Link doesn't do it for me. Maybe because I associate him too much with the Disney stuff? Regardless, Sora doesn't NEED Disney stuff to work in Smash, it would be a little weird but the Disney stuff barely matters in the games past 1 anyway. Not like it matters since Sora is stuck in Disney Jail and they aren't going to play nice. We've been over this but they can't even get JUST SORA to show up in World of Final Fantasy as a summon without it being a limited time free DLC that didn't even come back in the rereleases with the rest of the DLC. Good luck getting him in Smash.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I think Geno has many more chances to be playable than Sora. But I can see perfectly happen both of them. One as 78 and the other as 81.

Anyway the one that has my 100% are only Geno and Crash. The rest I’m going for Dante, Ryu and Lloyd. Ryu being from NES, a new NG and Koei being partner; seems a nice fit.

GENO AWAKENS!

Droodle

Smash Lord
Why would Kris and Hollow Knight need a indie character? Sans didnt. Unless sans undertale has some secret tie to Microsoft I'm not aware of
It's the theming, I find it unlikely MCG knows we'll get both Hollow Knight and Kris together for whatever reason; so I rely on theming (which tbh doesn't really work most of the time as characters tend to have random waves barring their own series/companies for the most part). They don't HAVE to come with a indie character, it just makes more sense if they did. For example, let's (hypothetically) assume Sol and Ragna are getting costumes (I think ArcSys costumes are decently likely honestly, thanks to the Kunio event); your first thought would be that they're coming with another fighting game character. It doesn't have to happen, but it'd make a lot of sense if it did.

But regardless, the types of fighters (indies or otherwise) isn't related to my main complaint; and I dunno why that's the thing you center on. The main complaint is still that the list assumes to know potentially 12 non-Square costumes out of a 18 non-Square costume theoretical limit at this point. The costumes are all of a wild assortment and don't typically center on around any series/company; which most character do tend to come with costumes focusing on their series.

The list assumes that potential characters like Lloyd, Dante, Crash, Ryu Hayabusa etc. Wouldn't come with a heavy emphasis on costumes from their own series/company. So unless we get waves that severely break the "pattern", which we have no evidence that we will get; the most likely assumption is the Mii Costume List leak isn't real (or at least not real anymore). Obviously, if the next character comes with 2-3 of these costumes; the likelihood of it being right increases. But we have 0 evidence for it within Fighters Pass 2 currently.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So it seems the Geno Thread has temporarily moved on from Monster Hunter and has migrated back to indie characters and Sora?

le sigh

I have done my fair share of research and information collecting and there is nothing that comes up for anything indie other than costumes, which as I mentioned before, is really the best thing for them. Smash isn't just going to start including mostly indie characters as playable, and you can't really just pick one because the indie crowd is so diverse and each character has so much demand that there really isn't a single character that can wholly represent indies. Sure, occasionally an indie game will get big, but they eventually peter out and picking a character based on what is currently popular and being bandwagoned upon isn't quite the play either as it could be heavily dated later on and very polarizing early on.

However, when you keep tossing in indie characters as costumes, that works perfectly to give them representation and have more room to dedicate to them while also not favoring any one indie character massively over another. Plus, it keeps that indie vibe about them: they aren't a big dog because they were at most a costume or spirit, not a fighter.

Sora just is not happening this pass and it will be a stroke of massive luck to get him period. As we all know it seems that Disney is holding the lad way too close to their chest because it's the only thing they have going for them in the video game market and they are crazy protective over their assets. Sora happening without any Disney content is not only kinda strange but it is poor representation: Sora's Keyblade is the Kingdom Key and has a Mickey head as the keychain, Donald and Goofy are his constant companions, Mickey has become more prominent as the series went on, many of Sora's mechanics are Disney-tied (Trinity Limit requires Donald and Goofy, Drive Forms require temporarily sacrifices Donald and/or Goofy, Summons are Disney characters, KH3 has a whole Disney Theme Park rides mechanic)...Christ he was designed after Mickey himself! Disney is deeply woven into the lore and cannot just be gutted.

Sure, you may have seen it happen in other games, but Smash is not other games. You know damn well Sakurai won't put in Sora without being able to 100% do him justice, and that requires Disney content. If Disney says no, Sakurai can just say no as well, and it's likely that already may have happened according to what we know.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
So it seems the Geno Thread has temporarily moved on from Monster Hunter and has migrated back to indie characters and Sora?

le sigh

I have done my fair share of research and information collecting and there is nothing that comes up for anything indie other than costumes, which as I mentioned before, is really the best thing for them. Smash isn't just going to start including mostly indie characters as playable, and you can't really just pick one because the indie crowd is so diverse and each character has so much demand that there really isn't a single character that can wholly represent indies. Sure, occasionally an indie game will get big, but they eventually peter out and picking a character based on what is currently popular and being bandwagoned upon isn't quite the play either as it could be heavily dated later on and very polarizing early on.

However, when you keep tossing in indie characters as costumes, that works perfectly to give them representation and have more room to dedicate to them while also not favoring any one indie character massively over another. Plus, it keeps that indie vibe about them: they aren't a big dog because they were at most a costume or spirit, not a fighter.

Sora just is not happening this pass and it will be a stroke of massive luck to get him period. As we all know it seems that Disney is holding the lad way too close to their chest because it's the only thing they have going for them in the video game market and they are crazy protective over their assets. Sora happening without any Disney content is not only kinda strange but it is poor representation: Sora's Keyblade is the Kingdom Key and has a Mickey head as the keychain, Donald and Goofy are his constant companions, Mickey has become more prominent as the series went on, many of Sora's mechanics are Disney-tied (Trinity Limit requires Donald and Goofy, Drive Forms require temporarily sacrifices Donald and/or Goofy, Summons are Disney characters, KH3 has a whole Disney Theme Park rides mechanic)...Christ he was designed after Mickey himself! Disney is deeply woven into the lore and cannot just be gutted.

Sure, you may have seen it happen in other games, but Smash is not other games. You know damn well Sakurai won't put in Sora without being able to 100% do him justice, and that requires Disney content. If Disney says no, Sakurai can just say no as well, and it's likely that already may have happened according to what we know.
I think people were purposely saying that an indie rep is unlikely. I think u misread that

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

le sigh

Basically this. I think Sora would be an absolute amazing inclusion, but I know his chances are incredibly low because of the importance of Disney.
Not even just the Disney representation too, but also with Disney's stinginess. If Sora was only ever able to make it in to World of Final Fantasy as a LIMITED TIME CHARACTER, then all I have to say is good luck trying to get him in Smash.

Droodle

Smash Lord

This is just dumb. Do I think indies are happening? No. But no one is suggesting a single indie character represents all indies, and I honestly have 0 idea where you're getting such a idea. No single character is going to make fans of every type of game happy at all.

Most of your arguments are stuff that I see on other places against Geno, too. People say "Geno doesn't really represent Nintendo or Square history that well and is pretty much a bandwagon pick at this point. Mario and Square should get different characters first. So that's why I think Geno should be a premium mii costume". And honestly, whenever I see that argument I think it's dumb. Again no character will satisfy everyone.

It's just fan rules. I know plenty of people would have been excited for a full blown playable Sans or Shovel Knight, for example. And much like Geno, Sakurai also acknowledged that Sans was a ridiculously popular request. There are very few indies that can get that big or popular, but there are still a couple out there. There is no rule out there saying that indies can't be fighters, but I don't know why this thread believes that to be the case. Will people be really upset if someone like Hollow Knight gets in as a fighter instead of a costume, because "indies don't deserve to be fighters?"

Funny thing is that the indie talk wasn't even that big (3 posts in total, and all of them were fairly minor), but you felt the need to bring it up.

I agree with most of your complaints on Sora's chances though.

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice

le sigh

Though I don't believe it's as big as an issue as people think it would be, I'm okay with people believing that Disney wouldn't let Sora in Smash. The thing I don't like is when people say that Sora coming without Disney content wouldn't represent the series well. I could have been reading this wrong, but the parts you focused on seemed like you were implying that Disney content would have to be part of his combat. I don't think any of what you listed is required to be in his combat, and a lot of his combat in games have nothing to do with Disney.

I've seen people argue that Donald and Goofy would have to be part of his moveset. For one, while they are often fighting along side Sora, most of Sora's combat in KH doesn't involve them besides a few combo attacks. Second, that's like saying Tifa and Barrett need to be in Cloud's moveset which would be ridiculous.

For the drive forms, while they do work by having Goofy or Donald leave for a short period, that's just a gameplay mechanic. If they put drive forms in Sora's Smash moveset, it wouldn't require Goofy or Donald having to be involved. Besides that, I think Sora would mainly be based on KH3. In KH3, they basically changed drive forms to keyblade transformations. They could just do that for his Smash moveset and it wouldn't require anything Disney related.

For summons, just don't have that in his moveset. While they show up in his stage, Cloud's moveset doesn't include summoning Shiva or Ifirit. If they did want to include a summon, Sora does have a Dream Eater summon from KH3 they could use. Same with the Disney rides, just don't include it. There's plenty of other attacks they can use in his Smash moveset.

Like in an ideal world, it would make sense to have Sora come with at least Mickey, Donald, and Goofy spirits and maybe some Disney music. Maybe even have Donald and Goofy in his final smash or make stage cameos. But the idea that Sora without Disney content being too poor of a representation to put him in Smash when Cloud came with only 2 songs, a stage, and no spirits to properly represent Final Fantasy 7 or just Final Fantasy in general is ridiculous.

Droodle

Smash Lord
We should shift away from the indie and Sora talk now.

So do you guys think that the rumors of SMRPG Remake are actually true or just wishful thinking?
I don't really think they are, simply because there isn't a whole lot of evidence backing it up. No one knows where the rumor first started, and I feel as though a lot of it is just people taking Grubb's references to SMRPG to be something bigger than it is. There was that twitter post that claimed they had a source who got everything in the Mario direct right and that a SMRPG sequel is happening. But everyone else thinks it's a remake, which means the source was still wrong in a way.

Not to mention, there is no real way to confirm that information anyways.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We should shift away from the indie and Sora talk now.

So do you guys think that the rumors of SMRPG Remake are actually true or just wishful thinking?
I don't really think they are, simply because there isn't a whole lot of evidence backing it up. No one knows where the rumor first started, and I feel as though a lot of it is just people taking Grubb's references to SMRPG to be something bigger than it is. There was that twitter post that claimed they had a source who got everything in the Mario direct right and that a SMRPG sequel is happening. But everyone else thinks it's a remake, which means the source was still wrong in a way.

Not to mention, there is no real way to confirm that information anyways.
Not really sure. I believe it certainly is possible in the future. I think Square wouldn’t mind. Square is open on remaking old titles like Mana and FF7. Not sure on Nintendo’s stance is. I think Paper Mario is no much of an RPG anymore but more action adventure. Who knows what’s going to happen on the M&L series since AlphaDream got bankrupt. SMRPG remake is certainly an option for an RPG game.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
LMAO people downplaying Sora's chances in this thread when Sora's stingy owners have had him appear in more non-KH games then Geno has his entire existence.
Boy, you really never have anything to offer other than toxic negativity, do ya.

First off, Sora is a much different beast than Geno, the only thing they share being the company that created them.

Geno is simply a Square-made Mario character: the legal hang ups are there and he can only really happen if they work together or Nintendo buys everything SMRPG from Square.

Sora is a Square-made Disney character, and Disney functions very differently from Nintendo, but they mostly care about profits. Sora is their gold mine for video games and they don't risk screwing this up, so if you notice his debuts outside of KH are still in Disney or Square games like Tsum Tsums or I think Brave Exvius.

So no, this doesn't make Sora more likely or the devs around him somehow more or less stingy. The facts are that Nomura himself has no plans for Switch with KH and according to Imran Khan Nintendo already tried and failed to work him out and this was recent enough to imply it was for Ultimate.
Though I don't believe it's as big as an issue as people think it would be, I'm okay with people believing that Disney wouldn't let Sora in Smash. The thing I don't like is when people say that Sora coming without Disney content wouldn't represent the series well. I could have been reading this wrong, but the parts you focused on seemed like you were implying that Disney content would have to be part of his combat. I don't think any of what you listed is required to be in his combat, and a lot of his combat in games have nothing to do with Disney.

I've seen people argue that Donald and Goofy would have to be part of his moveset. For one, while they are often fighting along side Sora, most of Sora's combat in KH doesn't involve them besides a few combo attacks. Second, that's like saying Tifa and Barrett need to be in Cloud's moveset which would be ridiculous.

For the drive forms, while they do work by having Goofy or Donald leave for a short period, that's just a gameplay mechanic. If they put drive forms in Sora's Smash moveset, it wouldn't require Goofy or Donald having to be involved. Besides that, I think Sora would mainly be based on KH3. In KH3, they basically changed drive forms to keyblade transformations. They could just do that for his Smash moveset and it wouldn't require anything Disney related.

For summons, just don't have that in his moveset. While they show up in his stage, Cloud's moveset doesn't include summoning Shiva or Ifirit. If they did want to include a summon, Sora does have a Dream Eater summon from KH3 they could use. Same with the Disney rides, just don't include it. There's plenty of other attacks they can use in his Smash moveset.

Like in an ideal world, it would make sense to have Sora come with at least Mickey, Donald, and Goofy spirits and maybe some Disney music. Maybe even have Donald and Goofy in his final smash or make stage cameos. But the idea that Sora without Disney content being too poor of a representation to put him in Smash when Cloud came with only 2 songs, a stage, and no spirits to properly represent Final Fantasy 7 or just Final Fantasy in general is ridiculous.
No, Sora isn't possible without Disney content in some way, shape or form. Disney is half the game and until it got bigger, the other half was split between FF and original characters. Nomura even said he believed the series was strong enough to not need FF characters anymore, so KH3 was half Disney half original.

Sakurai took the time to show us that the villagers sleep in their houses at night despite the fact we will never eve see that in out own games. If they will go that far just to perfectly represent characters and their series, and you STILL think that a game series that sold itself on Disney content wouldn't come with Disney content, I think there is no more room for discussion.

The argument was never about it being in his gameplay, even though Sora's gameplay heavily includes his partners, because other RPG characters have come without their party members. But Shulk is proof that Sora would likely get Trinity Limit as his Final Smash and ya can't do that without the lads.

As for the indie character stuff, I knew what people were saying, I was just adding my portion to it and sighing because we are cycling discussions again for no reason.

Also it seems some people can't read because I never said one indie rep was more popular than any other, and I also mentioned that's actually the problem: you can't have more than one indie rep per pass, if you pick any of them at all, and yet there is no one character that can properly represent indie because they are so diverse.

Why do I say this? Because, the list is too long for long requested characters. We still have a massive backlog of fan requests for the Melee and Brawl days to go through as well as other big picks and Smash isn't an indie fighting game. It's much easier to out somebody's the bigger requests in as costumes and leave the playable slots to the big boys.

EDIT: man proof reading is much more difficult on mobile, phones suck for typing man. I think SMRPG Sequel could very easily be real but time will have to tell that tale. I'm going to bed. See you all tomorrow, and keep looking towards Genovember.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Not really sure. I believe it certainly is possible in the future. I think Square wouldn’t mind. Square is open on remaking old titles like Mana and FF7. Not sure on Nintendo’s stance is. I think Paper Mario is no much of an RPG anymore but more action adventure. Who knows what’s going to happen on the M&L series since AlphaDream got bankrupt. SMRPG remake is certainly an option for an RPG game.
I feel like the biggest difference between the two is that I don't really think Square would like to share tons of profits, so I don't really think they'd be particularly keen of collabing with Nintendo for a remake. FF7 Remake was demanded a ton for an extremely long time, and even then it wasn't really a true "remake". And the Mana series has always been decently used to getting remakes. Aside from Mana, Square doesn't seem too interested in remaking their old catalogue.

But the big question is, who is going to be making the hypothetical SMRPG remake? Square seems busy with things like Athia, FF 16, FF 7R, more KH, likely more Mana, Octopath 2, BD 2, and with likely stuff with TWEWY in the background. I guess Nintendo could always make it internal, or they could outsource it; but would Square even allow someone else to develop it? But at the same time does Nintendo JP even show interest in revisiting SMRPG?

D

Deleted member

I feel like the biggest difference between the two is that I don't really think Square would like to share tons of profits, so I don't really think they'd be particularly keen of collabing with Nintendo for a remake. FF7 Remake was demanded a ton for an extremely long time, and even then it wasn't really a true "remake". And the Mana series has always been decently used to getting remakes. Aside from Mana, Square doesn't seem too interested in remaking their old catalogue.

But the big question is, who is going to be making the hypothetical SMRPG remake? Square seems busy with things like Athia, FF 16, FF 7R, more KH, likely more Mana, Octopath 2, BD 2, and with likely stuff with TWEWY in the background. I guess Nintendo could always make it internal, or they could outsource it; but would Square even allow someone else to develop it? But at the same time does Nintendo JP even show interest in revisiting SMRPG?
Well, I’m sure there might be room for Square making SMRPG. I don’t see why Square would refuse a remake when Square has done several collaborations with Nintendo aside from SMRPG before like Fortune Street and Mario Sports Mix. Square Enix has even collaborated with BigPoint games of a free to play platforming game. I can see Nintendo making not necessarily a SMRPG remake, but an RPG with only a few characters like Geno and Mallow getting a Major role maybe in M&L game or a Paper Mario title. Nintendo of Japan, I’m not sure, the only way they could consider if there is fan demand.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
LMAO people downplaying Sora's chances in this thread when Sora's stingy owners have had him appear in more non-KH games then Geno has his entire existence.
I’m not against the idea of sora but it’s just not likely. Disney are too stingy.

think of it this way. They ruined club penguin. Club penguin was huge and was a fantastic childhood game for many people. Over 200 million people played it and Disney bought it and destroyed it with their greed.

they also tried to take the majority of the money out of the Sony/marvel deal.

id think it would be complicated and too hard to negotiate money with them. Disney only do things if it’s gonna profit them massively. Try making a deal that’s gonna satisfy Disney, square Enix and Nintendo. There’s no way you could make a deal that would satisfy them all

If that’s not enough evidence to show that they’re greedy and that the chances of sora getting is low then I don’t know what is.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's kind of disturbing. Why someone would make a stage like this to reflect negative emotions just makes things worse.

I’m not against the idea of sora but it’s just not likely. Disney are too stingy.

think of it this way. They ruined club penguin. Club penguin was huge and was a fantastic childhood game for many people. Over 200 million people played it and Disney bought it and destroyed it with their greed.

they also tried to take the majority of the money out of the Sony/marvel deal.

id think it would be complicated and too hard to negotiate money with them. Disney only do things if it’s gonna profit them massively. Try making a deal that’s gonna satisfy Disney, square Enix and Nintendo. There’s no way you could make a deal that would satisfy them all

If that’s not enough evidence to show that they’re greedy and that the chances of sora getting is low then I don’t know what is.
I agree with you on Disney being greedy, but it's not impossible for them to lend the Kingdom Hearts license to Nintendo for Smash. They can take Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and all Disney references out of Sora's character, stage, music, ect. But I agree with you that it's not likely.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The Catch-22 for character threads when a character is made playable: you would finally stop getting people in here negatively nitpicking over every tiny hint of speculation brought up or the hype police who feel they need to knock this thread down a peg, but like majority of character threads, traffic here would dwindle down significantly and chats would reduce.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
2B/Mallow/Smithy: Mallow and Smithy may come with Geno, sure. I doubt 2B would though; considering her popularity currently I'm pretty sure Square would ask a exorbitant sum to license her, or not at all. She's either a character that's in as a fighter, or not at all. If Geno gets in, the costumes he'll get are just likely going to be Mallow/Smithy/old Geno costume/Chocobo. 2B currently has a less chance to get costumed than Geno.
With 2B, I'm pretty sure it's the opposite - I can't recall the exact quote, but Yoko Taro's said something like that he'll let pretty much anyone use 2B.

Edit: found it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With 2B, I'm pretty sure it's the opposite - I can't recall the exact quote, but Yoko Taro's pretty much stated that he'll let pretty much anyone use 2B.
So I take it the license for Nier: Automata wouldn't be as expensive as other Square-Enix franchises per say? Also, who owns the music to that game?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the biggest issue with a Mario RPG remake or sequel is that Nintendo feels like they've lost any interest in Mario based Role Playing Games outside Paper Mario (and that's gone far away from many of its roots to the point of being a quasi adventure game at this point) and Square Enix only just recently getting their feet wet with high profile remastered games from SNES era.

To be perfectly frank, outside the Trials of Mana remake, SE's treatment of various 16 bit and older games has not been terribly impressive as of late. The re-releases that are there have lately been the dubious mobile ports, the Secret of Mana remake was so bad they actually changed plans on ToM in reaction to it, and the first six Final Fantasy titles aren't even on Switch, despite VI being on the SNES classic.

To their credit spiritual successors like Octopath Traveler and the Bravely Default series have been great, but the actual titles those games are a tribute to don't really feel at all like a priority to Square Enix right now, to the point where I'd actually be a bit reticent about how a Mario RPG remake might actually turn out given SE's hit and miss instincts with these type of releases.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm still fairly confident about Geno's chances. The Square Enix wave/second wave of Mii Fighter costume content was the only one to have no returning Smash 4 content and ultimately is very suspicious when all the other companies at bare minimum had 2 of their costumes return. It's impossible to dismiss as pure coincidence at this point.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So let's say the Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos Mii costumes return and we get no Namco and Capcom reps, what companies would be getting reps instead? I could see Level 5 getting a rep if this turns out to be the case.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
With 4 characters left, Geno needs to be one of the 4, or a Square character has to be one of the 4. I don’t see Square just letting Geno’s costume come back on it’s own unfortunately. I just hope if it is only a costume, that they at least will upgrade it from last time. Ala Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, and Bomberman

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I do gotta ask, If 2B was a Mii Costume, but she came Seperatly in a Characters DLC Pack that wasn't Square based, How would you guys Feel?

Last edited:

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
On the topic of 2B, I seriously doubt that she or any other NieR representation will be in Smash.

Negotiations with third-parties- whether it be a Fighter, Mii Costumes, or Spirit Events- likely occur at the same time and then spread out accordingly. It's also reasonable to assume that Square Enix was likely one of the first companies that negotiations started with for both FP1 and FP2. FP2 was greenlit around E3 2019, and we know that every character was finalized for the second pass around November, as that's what Sakurai had said during the Byleth presentation.

Why am I bringing this up? Yoko Taro, director of the Drakengard/NieR series, said he had met Sakurai for the first time in a livestream for people in the games industry born in 1970 on Christmas of 2019. I don't see why he would be lying about this since he was the one to bring it up. I really don't think Sakurai would want to include any content in Smash without directly consulting the director of the games. There could have been seperate negotiations later on for a Spirit Event or Mii Costume, but I doubt that would happen.

As a side note, I don't see 2B working with the proportions of the Mii Swordfighter, it just doesn't seem right. She would also probably get one of the biggest backlashes for just being included as a costume.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So I have a theory for you all that I believe lines up extremely well to not be just a coincidence, and it could greatly strengthen Geno's chances of appearing in this Pass.

At last year's E3, we had a double reveal with Hero and Banjo. However, my theory stems from what these characters are and what companies they are owned by. Hero is a Square Enix promotional character used to promote Dragon Quest 11, and Banjo is the big fan request from Microsoft. Hero was also revealed at the very beginning of the Direct, whereas Banjo was saved for the end.

So, what's the theory you may ask.

My theory is that when Square Enix and Microsoft negotiated to get their characters in FP1, Nintendo approached both companies about getting more characters of theirs for FP2 and they would both have characters revealed at next year's E3 as well, BUT the order will be reversed and now Microsoft would be the company to get a promotional character and Square will get a huge fan request included. As we established, its very likely that CP7 and CP8 would have been the E3 reveals (And before anyone mentions Min Min, its most likely that Min Min was planned to get revealed before E3 had COVID not f---ed up Nintendo's schedule). So, with this in mind, my theory is that Steve, a Microsoft-owned promotional character would start out this E3, with a Square Enix fan favorite cough Geno cough would be saved towards the end, which would be kinda like last year's E3, except both companies exchanges the type of character they are including, if this makes sense.

So to sum it up, last year's E3 featured a promotional Square Enix character to start out the Direct, and a huge fan request from Microsoft to end the Direct, so my theory is that for this year's E3, the order would have been a promotional character from Microsoft to start the Direct, and a huge fan request from Square Enix to end the Direct. I hope this theory makes sense to you all because I'm not sure if I explained it clearly.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Enigma735 Enigma735 Tbh man I think that theory is correct. I feel Microsoft negotiated Banjo and Steve and the same time. As well Square with Geno and Hero but Nintendo didn't wanted that both companies would get 2 characters in FP1 so that was when the FP2 was set on stone. Ah and also Min Min wasn't delayed by Covid. It was for development issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom