• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Okay then.

With that said, I did see some people say others were defending Fatman from others from outside the thread, even if they did not bring him up or maybe were not being so harmful towards him, so I wish to say this, while referring not just to Farman, but to anybody; all whether it actually happened or not

Basically, guys, don't get too worked up on defending people who you may especially admire so much. I mean, there are better ways to deal with others outside the thread, whether they are here to cause trouble or not, especially to someone who has done some things that you may like, may want to hear or something else, yada yada yada. Sometimes, you may actually act or be no better then the outsiders who say such things to the ones you like. Whether or not they do bash the person in question, they still have a right to disagree with that person, and it may be better to not pay attention to them if you don't like what they say, whether they are overly being negative and hateful or not. It is okay to like someone you admire, but there are cases where trying to defend them, in a heavy kind of a way, is way too unnecessary. That is to say, it's not bad to defend someone (in fact, it can be good), but being a fanboy over that person is not really the way to go. Just be cool and good about it, or in the case of some people, as much as you can be without insulting them and being defensive or maybe angry.

I am not saying such people who are defended, like Fatman, should not be defended, nor do I say they deserve to be attacked; I am not trying to attack such people like Fatman. Just be more reasonable, or at least try your best without going overboard. You can like and admire someone, but sometimes, being overly defensive can be more harmful to you than to the one you admire or the person you feel is or is outright bashing them. Just because you like someone for whatever reason, does not mean they need all that defending, especially in a fanboyish way, or so much as you might think is needed to defend them. No offense to anyone here. Just saying this because I saw someone say something about defending Fatman on this topic from another thread.

Now, to get back on topic, imagine if Super Mario RPG referred to the main five as a crew, like the DK Crew?

Or better yet, who do you think would win an all out fight? The Main Five from Super Mario RPG or the DK Crew from Donkey Kong 64?
Oh, man. You deserve my congratulations. I agree with everything you said. Btw: It isn't my own bias because SMRPG is one of my all time favorite games and I haven't play DK64 but let's realistic. You have Mario, Peach, Mallow, Geno and Bowser against Dk, Diddy, Tiny, Lanky and Chunky. The 7 stars team wins :4pacman:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
The Mario RPG group for sure, no doubt on that. Geno would pack some intense heat. On a different note, Is Geno one of the most powerful Mario characters? He’s definitely up there in my opinion.
I mean the Geno toy can knock even Mario out cold for an entire night, and this was before the star being possessed it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh, man. You deserve my congratulations. I agree with everything you said. Btw: It isn't my own bias because SMRPG is one of my all time favorite games and I haven't play DK64 but let's realistic. You have Mario, Peach, Mallow, Geno and Bowser against Dk, Diddy, Tiny, Lanky and Chunky. The 7 stars team wins :4pacman:
Thanks for the congrats!

And yeah, the Seven Stars team gets my votes. I mean the other team has Lanky, but he has no style, and has no grace, and even if he did...

He doesn't have a funny enough face. :troll:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The Mario RPG group for sure, no doubt on that. Geno would pack some intense heat. On a different note, Is Geno one of the most powerful Mario characters? He’s definitely up there in my opinion.
In SMRPG Geno has the highest base speed from among all party members (and can increase even higher with specific accessories). His base ATK and M. ATK are also pretty high (around 2nd highest). Although his most notable features (besides his Speed stat) are his Geno Boost special (can boost ATK and DEF of a single party member), and his Geno Whirl skill. Geno Whirl might not be of much use against most bosses, but it makes the Exor fight a joke. So in a sense, he's OP in the Exor fight; everywhere else he's pretty good (essentially due to Geno Boost).

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'll just say that there's strong evidence that particular spirits for particular games have been held off until certain announcements are made. For example, Undertale and Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits still being MIA after more than a year should definitely raise some eyebrows.
'Smash announcements?' or 'memes into dreams?' <--- safe answer if we're on the same page.

Though I think I get what you're putting down, and that's real nice.

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Not really sure if there were any unused concepts besides enemies (most of them being the exact same with different colors), a cut dinner scene in Nimbus Land which featured Luigi, cutscenes, and different designs for the characters.
So, if the Super Mario RPG remake rumors turn out to be true, you think they'll add more content not featured in the original or?

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
I hope if there's a sequel to SMRPG it will take inspiration from the Mario and Luigi series and have defending against enemies be more interactive.

Jumping, ducking and using your weapons to avoid or counter enemy attacks is a lot more fun to me than standing there blocking and getting pummeled like a chump.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
So, if the Super Mario RPG remake rumors turn out to be true, you think they'll add more content not featured in the original or?
Tbh I think there will be a postgame related to stuff like Valentine marrying Booster, characters who appared in the end like Boshi, Jonathan Jones and a lot related with Geno's backstory and True Form

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
I hope so! Maybe something like Bowser‘s Minions or Bowser Jr‘s Journey, where they show a side story about what the other characters were doing! Like one that focuses on Geno, leading up to him being sent down by his higher authority, showing what the Koopalings were doing in this whole story, or what random maybe crime-like adventures of Boshi and Croco after the game!

D

Deleted member

He's got a great track record, both with Smash and outside of it. For Smash:

-Banjo's costumes last July
-Terry's spirit board last September
-Byleth's ALTs and stage last October
-Cuphead was on his list last December
-Correctly said Microsoft would be getting more content last December

On the topic of Gooigi, I honestly think it's a hat if it's indeed a thing.
Did anyone tell an explanation what the list of characters are in the first place? If anything, are these more of a list of characters NOT going to be in?

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am working on that RPG with that program I was talking about. I put the Mario RPG project on hold again once I downloaded that

But I am having the worst case of artist block

Gator Unfinished.png

This sprite here is unfinished and it's taken me a week to plan and start. I still don't have the feet done

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat 11 just revealed its latest DLC characters, and while I know this topic is mostly unrelated, I want to bring up one in particular...

The three characters are John Rambo, Rain... and Mileena, a character whose fans have been very vocal about wanting to see becoming playable again in Mortal Kombat 11... and said fans have just got their wish this morning.

I know that the devs behind Mortal Kombat 11 might not operate the same as the devs for Smash Ultimate, but I still want to bring up Mileena, because she's now an example of a fan favorite character who managed to make the cut after the very vocal support from fans, and I think that if Mortal Kombat 11 can accomplish that, I want to believe that Smash Ultimate can ultimately (heh) do the same with Geno.

If a purple sharp-toothed ninja lady can make it, then so can our favorite wooden puppet star warrior. Here's to fan favorites getting their chance. :cheersleo:
This is a great point. Ed Boon would even go out of his way to troll Mileena fans because to be fair they were anywhere from insufferable to extremely toxic on every single one of his posts for the last year. Hopefully Sakurai is as reasonable. But I'm also still so mad they didn't make Reptile playable in 11.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
While waiting for our DLC Mario rep, I managed to 100% Super Mario Sunshine, after such an achievement I realized how much I hate and despise it.
The most broken and glitchy mainline Mario game ever.
Super Mario 64>>>Super Mario Galaxy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Super Mario Sunshine

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Another plus that’s in Geno’s favor is that, you’d think there’s going to be one more Mario character revealed.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
While waiting for our DLC Mario rep, I managed to 100% Super Mario Sunshine, after such an achievement I realized how much I hate and despise it.
Super Mario 64>>>Super Mario Galaxy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Super Mario Sunshine
I know I'll get hate for this, but that's how I feel people are going to look back on Odyssey. It's tight af with gameplay but the content seems so slapped together imo. I know people will disagree but comparing what we got to the concept art it's night and day. It feels like another black sheep, like Sunshine, and although it has many, many high points and, again, probably the best controls we've ever had.... It has some really glaring negatives like how some Moons are comically easy to get, the capture mechanic feels just a little undercooked in places, and some of the levels feel huge for no reason. I loved Lost Kingdom and New Donk so much and I wish the whole game had been designed like those worlds. Sand Kingdom and Wooded Kingdom everyone loves, but they feel so empty to me. Just being honest.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Them's fightin words
I hope Waluigi never gets in as playable in Smash Ultimate
jk

I know I'll get hate for this, but that's how I feel people are going to look back on Odyssey. It's tight af with gameplay but the content seems so slapped together imo. I know people will disagree but comparing what we got to the concept art it's night and day. It feels like another black sheep, like Sunshine, and although it has many, many high points and, again, probably the best controls we've ever had.... It has some really glaring negatives like how some Moons are comically easy to get, the capture mechanic feels just a little undercooked in places, and some of the levels feel huge for no reason. I loved Lost Kingdom and New Donk so much and I wish the whole game had been designed like those worlds. Sand Kingdom and Wooded Kingdom everyone loves, but they feel so empty to me. Just being honest.
You're 100% correct but Sunshine is my favorite game. However Odyssey is really overrated and has a lot of the same flaws i'd say to a much greater degree at times. Some of the missions just feel completely pointless. One of the moons being hidden under a pile of garbage really illustrates their value well and that's not a good thing imo. They sacrificed substantial mission design so that little timmy can earn one moon every time he takes his switch out for a quick car ride.

But I definitely disagree about your point on the kingdoms. The bigger ones are usually the better ones. Lost Kingdom, to me, is one of the most soulless and pathetic levels in sandbox 3D Mario. It's so small and there's barely anything to do.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Them's fightin words
I hope Waluigi never gets in as playable in Smash Ultimate
jk

You're 100% correct but Sunshine is my favorite game. However Odyssey is really overrated and has a lot of the same flaws i'd say to a much greater degree at times. Some of the missions just feel completely pointless. One of the moons being hidden under a pile of garbage really illustrates their value well and that's not a good thing imo. They sacrificed substantial mission design so that little timmy can earn one moon every time he takes his switch out for a quick car ride.

But I definitely disagree about your point on the kingdoms. The bigger ones are usually the better ones. Lost Kingdom, to me, is one of the most soulless and pathetic levels in sandbox 3D Mario. It's so small and there's barely anything to do.
You're totally on point about the little Timmy comment. There was a better way around the issue of making it child with a portable friendly. My friend's 6yo son had the helper mode on and cleared the game with a few hundreds moons. That, to me, is not encouraging.

And I liked Lost Kingdom because it was the most reminiscent of a 64 level. And New Donk was just such a fun sandbox. I wish Wooded and Sand had more stuff going on, instead of these wide open spaces. I for one grew up with 64 being the new hotness so if the game doesn't feel like that it just...loses me. I was a sucker and bought 3D All Stars. Beyond feeling gyped, I barely touched Galaxy and Sunshine but can't put 64 down. I just don't feel the same love for them. Sunshine is a hot mess even moreso on the collection and Galaxy is fun but now that I'm older it feels harder to get into like it did when I was 20.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
How did this thread talk about bonus characters and not mention Balloon Fighter? Y'all don't think Sakurai wouldn't put in a character as an homage to Iwata? In the last project Iwata gave him? When there's already a Balloon Fight stage and some modeling with Villager's Up B? I can almost guarantee if we get a bonus character, we'll get him.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
@BananaSlammer I think the recent flak isn't for no reason or unjustified.

You know how rose-tinted glasses exist? Well, it's also possible for people to finally take them off when looking at things they love, and frankly DK64 had LOTS of problems with it every since it first came out.

Now I'll admit I used to look at the game fondly...until I went to go play it again, and HOOOOOOO boy does it play like complete trash. Forget anything about it being outdated for graphics, there were just horrible design decisions like all the padding with forced backtracking and the designs of some of the minigames and how Diddy controls with his jetpack...when you add in that dated camera it just makes a recipe for pain and playing games is supposed to be fun, not irritating (unless it's marketed that way) or a slog/chore.

Compare this to SM64 or B&K who also have outdated graphics and camera issues and yet are still somewhat beloved or very beloved to this day, although it seems like SM64 has gotten a lot of hate recently with 3D All-Stars.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
As the year is a little over two months from wrapping up, with Steve's reveal and Vergeben's words from back then having panned out, the pool for who Challenger Pack 8 could be seems to have become clearer now due to upcoming events. The names that got things going in their favor for Challenger Pack 8 (imo), with a potential reveal sometime around December (TGA) 2020, or early January 2021 are the following,
  • Geno = nearing the half-way point of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2, and being in the midst of the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary, AND Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars still nowhere to be seen in the SNES NSO Library, it would be fitting for Geno to come along as a playable fighter in a December character reveal. Him being a doll (albeit possessed) would resonate with the Christmas Holiday (as a present). Imo, he would be the Banjo fan-pic for the Pass.
  • Lloyd Irving = we're coming up on the Tales of 25th Anniversary and Bandai Namco still hasn't tweeted or announced any news on that. I still can't shake the feeling that the Anniversary logo they're using could perhaps be the character icon meant for Smash. Also, for the connoisseurs of Tales of Symphonia, there is a location within the game that is central to part of the game's plot; the snow city of Flanoir. Won't go into the details because of spoilers but, let's just say that it's an important location nonetheless. Oh, and Flanoir is also located near a certain "gate" that allows the party to traverse between "worlds".
  • Ryu Hayabusa = ah yes, the "is he" or "is he not" character of this year(s) long Smash DLC speculation cycle. Prior to the latter half of 2020, his name would have remained as an after thought, but Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, the rumors of a Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, AND Steve's official reveal as CP 7 changed all that. Imo, the element that strengthens Ryu's chances considerably is the existence of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. A Koei Tecmo developed game using one of Nintendo's main IPs. What drives the point even further is the portrayal of the Sheikah in this game (particularly Impa). Zelda faithfuls have always understood the Sheikah clan to always have been this secretive clan who practice ninja-like arts, but in HW:AoC Koei Tecmo went IN with the ninja arts. The line of thought after Impa's new iteration went along with "she'd be perfect for Smash", and indeed she is. On the other hand, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity could have been part of the negotiations between Koei and Nintendo that went down some time ago, which may also have included the addition of Ryu Hayabusa to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as well. Say that such negotiations happened around a time close or after Microsoft's, then why didn't Ryu came in sooner? Again, perhaps they wanted to hold his reveal/release at a time near HW:AoC's release.
  • Doom Slayer = Bethesda and Id Software really have been good bros with Nintendo with porting the near entire legacy of DOOM games to the Switch. All there's left is DOOM Eternal. ... ... ... Anytime now. ... ... The latest entry in the DOOM series has been out on other systems for quite some time, but the Switch version's release date still remains a mystery. Id Software has reiterated that it's coming, but when exactly? Perhaps this may be due to two things (in addition to the likely delays due to the ongoing pandemic): 1) the rumors of a potential Switch Pro; if said revision exists, the team might be optimizing the game to run in that system, and/or 2) DOOM Eternal will be receiving a DLC Expansion soon which for the Switch version might be included in the game on launch with a rebranding of the title; DOOM Eternal: Ultimate Edition. The Doom Slayer would be an interesting and fitting choice for a Smash reveal during this year's TGA. An character from an M rated series revealed just like Joker during the TGA from 2018 (another character from an M rated title).
  • Crash Bandicoot = Crash 4 released recently, and although he didn't end up being CP 7, he could make a surprise appearance in this year's TGA, continuing an unspoken plot that began in 2018 (or maybe even before that when Crash Bandicoot: N'Sane Trilogy was first announced). The supposed "leaked memo, or plan list" sprinkles some more good luck on the bandicoot's chances, but we'll just have to see what happens come December. Crash 4 IS coming to the Switch (eventually... give it perhaps a year or so).
  • Rayman = Ah, "but what is HE doing here?" some may wonder. Well, his base game spirit and Min Min's inclusion, as well as the Ubisoft-themed Mii Costumes should serve as a "wink" to fans in sending the message to keep their eyes peeled for a surprise reveal. Although it would seem nothing new has been planned for the series, there is a small glimmer of hope in yet another upcoming Ubisoft Forward stream (still to be announced) before the year's end. The Company seems to be focusing on their newest IPs, but it would be a capital SIN to turn their backs on their quirky mascot.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
How did this thread talk about bonus characters and not mention Balloon Fighter? Y'all don't think Sakurai wouldn't put in a character as an homage to Iwata? In the last project Iwata gave him? When there's already a Balloon Fight stage and some modeling with Villager's Up B? I can almost guarantee if we get a bonus character, we'll get him.
Well according to Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and his sources, we are getting several revivals that have still not been revealed. One of them has been hinted to be an indie take on BF So we'll see. It's definitely one of the older, untouched IPs from the NES era that is ripe for a modern revival as some sort of battle royale style game in the vein of like Fall Guys or Towerfall. I would absolutely kill to have a pixel art sequel to that game with a focus on online multiplayer and complete chaos.

Also specifically speaking to Smash Brothers, the Balloon Fighter was considered as a possible retro rep for Melee but I think Sakurai had trouble thinking of a moveset. For posterity, It was between him, Ice Climbers and Mach Rider for sure. I've also heard Bubbles from CluClu Land and Urban Champion, but I don't know off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to look up the Source Gaming article. All five of those characters in my mind could totally work in Smash Brothers if you can get a character like Captain Falcon to work, but what do I know. I think Ice Climbers definitely were the best choice because of their duo gimmick and having a hammer which was unique at that time. But you could easily build a moveset for a Balloon Fighter character based on the various pseudo sequels and just random stuff that kind of relates to the game. There's the Game and Watch version that has a jetpack on the cover art, or you could maybe make the fighter into Alice from Balloon Kid or at least turn her into an alt and then you would have references to that game which I'm pretty sure had lots of goofy stuff. you could also just give him stuff like the flipper, lightning bolts, an air pump, or just make crap up like giving him a slingshot which sort of fits the character and the style of the game. I seriously do believe that if Smash never went in the direction of including third-party characters, we would have eventually started getting characters like that with really creative movesets. It's evident that that was the direction Melee was headed in but that was cut off at the knees when Brawl started development.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I wish Smash Bros. could go back to giving us fan demand characters. Instead of trying to appeal to Twitter and all this other nonsense. Geno would be in by now.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Well according to Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and his sources, we are getting several revivals that have still not been revealed. One of them has been hinted to be an indie take on BF So we'll see. It's definitely one of the older, untouched IPs from the NES era that is ripe for a modern revival as some sort of battle royale style game in the vein of like Fall Guys or Towerfall. I would absolutely kill to have a pixel art sequel to that game with a focus on online multiplayer and complete chaos.

Also specifically speaking to Smash Brothers, the Balloon Fighter was considered as a possible retro rep for Melee but I think Sakurai had trouble thinking of a moveset. For posterity, It was between him, Ice Climbers and Mach Rider for sure. I've also heard Bubbles from CluClu Land and Urban Champion, but I don't know off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to look up the Source Gaming article. All five of those characters in my mind could totally work in Smash Brothers if you can get a character like Captain Falcon to work, but what do I know. I think Ice Climbers definitely were the best choice because of their duo gimmick and having a hammer which was unique at that time. But you could easily build a moveset for a Balloon Fighter character based on the various pseudo sequels and just random stuff that kind of relates to the game. There's the Game and Watch version that has a jetpack on the cover art, or you could maybe make the fighter into Alice from Balloon Kid or at least turn her into an alt and then you would have references to that game which I'm pretty sure had lots of goofy stuff. you could also just give him stuff like the flipper, lightning bolts, an air pump, or just make crap up like giving him a slingshot which sort of fits the character and the style of the game. I seriously do believe that if Smash never went in the direction of including third-party characters, we would have eventually started getting characters like that with really creative movesets. It's evident that that was the direction Melee was headed in but that was cut off at the knees when Brawl started development.
I totally agree. There's definitely moveset potential if Sakurai wanted to do something. And I hope he does considering Balloon Fight is probably my favorite NES game...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did anyone tell an explanation what the list of characters are in the first place? If anything, are these more of a list of characters NOT going to be in?
There's been no explanation. Our assumption has been that the character names are Mii costumes because of Cuphead. This has been kind of the issue with dealing with Mii Costume Guy:

-He sends people lists but rarely explains what they're supposed to be.

-There's supposedly a language barrier so the people that can actually talk to him is fairly limited. Supposedly he's Japanese and knows very little English which is why people like me have had to rely on "in-betweens."

-There's no regular correspondence. He'll talk to people and then disappear for months at a time.

On the topic of Mii Costume Guy, the fact that Nier Automata, Puyo Pop, and Cadence of Hyrule got major 2020 announcements, Perfect Dark is heavily rumored to be coming back, and they got a Sony franchise revival correct 7 months in advance is a hell of a coincidence.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am working on that RPG with that program I was talking about. I put the Mario RPG project on hold again once I downloaded that

But I am having the worst case of artist block

View attachment 288847

This sprite here is unfinished and it's taken me a week to plan and start. I still don't have the feet done
Croc2.png

Yo I think I got it

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
And what if somethings mii costume guy mentioned are just spirits, like a spirit future event of cadence of hyrule with cadence, link, zelda and someone else.

Or a spirit event with Arle for the future release of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. We have to take in account all posibilites.

Firox

Smash Master
Nah, I'll be honest, I felt the exact same way. Odyssey really did feel slapped together and I personally didn't like the complete scrapping of power-ups in favor or the possession mechanic. Some could argue it was a fresh idea, but I personally felt that it robbed Mario of what makes Mario, well, Mario. You know what I'm sayin'?

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I need to ask, I'm doing some Mii Costume Math right now, And I'm on Geno at the moment

Would Mallow and Smithy actually be Costumes if Geno were to be Playable, Like could they fit and do you see Sakurai Prioritizing these two as Costumes even if Geno is Playable?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So I need to ask, I'm doing some Mii Costume Math right now, And I'm on Geno at the moment

Would Mallow and Smithy actually be Costumes if Geno were to be Playable, Like could they fit and do you see Sakurai Prioritizing these two as Costumes even if Geno is Playable?
Oh, most definitely. Mallow is the other of two original party members from that game and Smithy is the main villain. If they were to choose any two characters for Mii Costumes it would have to be them.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace

Considering Square Mii costumes have so far only come with Square characters, they wouldn't have much competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom