• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet
In terms of first party representatives, I still think Sylux not having a Spirit in the game is crazy suspicious. Yeah Porky doesn't have one either, but Porky also likely doesn't have a brand new triple A game coming out where is he likely the antagonist. Sylux was the most popular hunter in, well, Prime Hunters, and then Tanabe, Federation Force, and even Prime 3 have been setting up Sylux to be the big main bad.

Sylux could just be added through a Spirit event with the snap of fingers (maybe he and some other Metroid Spirits will be added alongside the ever elusive Prime Trilogy), but I think Sylux is a decent possibility if this DLC is going until 2021. Though if they kept the Sylux Spirit from the base game and Prime 4 was delayed and supposedly Prime Trilogy by proxy, then maybe he is probably just a Spirit.

I think Sylux, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, another Xenoblade rep, and Waluigi are the most likely first party representatives. Another Zelda character I am unsure on for a few reasons. It really depends on what Nintendo wants to market in Ultimate and what game they want to push to the forefront.
What is Metroid Prime 4? Is it some kind of Amazon service?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'll give you that. I'm just saying that corporate themselves probably had a list and then narrowed it down based on strategic marketing. They then took the edited list to Sakurai and said, "can you make it so, Numbuh One?" So in effect, no, Sakurai himself didn't have a list, so to speak, but I think corporate entertained some ideas before settling on what they thought would sell the pass most effectively and then handed the order to Sakurai.
Firox my fiery ox, you explain my point better than I do, in both your posts

Last edited:

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
I'll be honest, since we're getting Characters like Min-Min who had spirits in the game already, It honestly makes characters that didn't have spirits look less likely than more likely, since it seems there weren't Important enough to even get Spirits.

And Honestly For Porky, At this point it did seem that The Absolute Safe Capsule was to represent Porky. I do think it's weird they didn't have Normal Porky Spirit, but it's what it is
The Absolute Safe Capsule is actually the empty version of it before Porky got inside, with the spirits being summoned for it having nothing involved with Porky at all! He is also the only Smash Brothers Brawl boss to have nothing of him at all except for his theme from the game.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Absolute Safe Capsule is actually the empty version of it before Porky got inside, with the spirits being summoned for it having nothing involved with Porky at all! He is also the only Smash Bros. Brawl boss to have nothing of him at all except for his theme from the game.
I've heard, but Considering that they Had used Fanart for Masked Man's Spirit, I'm just going to Assume that the Team did not pay attention to the fact it was the Empty Sprite

even then, It looks better for Porky if the Safe Capsule is to Represent him, because if not than that would mean Porky wasn't Important enough to get a spirit despite being a Boss in a Previous game and a Major Villain in 2 games of the Series, and we are in a Time where Spirits are getting Promoted. If the Capsule does Represent Porky, than that means he wasn't considered for FP1, but could be for FP2, so it's better that way

Firox

Smash Master
Little Mac gets nerfed simply because a new character is added.
In the case of Steve, this is a 100% true statement. With his 6+ broke AF edgeguarding options and Mac's already horrible recovery, I'm foreseeing one tragically jacked-up boxer.

EDIT: Also, the fact that Steve can create blocks midair means that he can platform camp Mac even on stages that don't have any platforms. 😅

Last edited:

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
I've heard, but Considering that they Had used Fanart for Masked Man's Spirit, I'm just going to Assume that the Team did not pay attention to the fact it was the Empty Sprite

even then, It looks better for Porky if the Safe Capsule is to Represent him, because if not than that would mean Porky wasn't Important enough to get a spirit despite being a Boss in a Previous game and a Major Villain in 2 games of the Series, and we are in a Time where Spirits are getting Promoted. If the Capsule does Represent Porky, than that means he wasn't considered for FP1, but could be for FP2, so it's better that way
That’s true that they had used fanart for Masked Man and I was thinking that could be a similar case, I feel like Sakurai would consider Porky and would like to make him a fighter when he gets the chance. Though his situation is still a mystery?

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Rathalos is the only monster that has appeared in every game, including the spin-offs. In a way, having Rathalos as a boss is honestly the best way they could have represented Monster Hunter because, like Pokemon, nobody gives a **** about the people. The main draw is the monsters and brutally killing them and having Rathalos as a major boss encompasses that perfectly.
I literally went over this yesterday. If nobody cares about Monster Hunter, like you say, then why has it been one of the most requested fighters since BASE in Japan? It should have been dropped right after Rathalos got shown off, but instead people wanted Monster Hunter in Smash more then ever. Literally ask anyone that is a regular in the Japanese scene and they will tell you that Monster Hunter has been consistently HIGHLY requested since base game. Even moreso now that Rise has been confirmed. It's like saying Minecraft is about mining and nobody gives a **** about Steve, so Minecraft should just be a stage.

And if you seriously think that Monster Hunter couldn't have more than what they did in MVC:I, I dunno what to tell you? There are 14 different weapon types, and last I checked Byleth only had 4. You could give them an item guage, you could give them a Sharpening gimmick, a partner mechanic, etc. If we go down to moveset clearly Sakurai has nothing to work with. Saying MH is like Byleth is as wrong as saying that Dante would just be Bayonetta, or Crash would just be Incineroar.

Me: I think Monster Hunter has a solid shot, I don't think it's going to get in but it has a lot of things going for it currently. The amount of requests it's gotten in Japan since base almost dwarf any character barring the likes of Sora. That could easily convince Sakurai/Capcom/Nintendo, to give it a full blown Fighter in Pass 2.

You: WTF, they already negotiated too much content with MH and no one cares about a playable character. There is no way that they just can't go back and ask Capcom for more. It's an INSIGNIFICANTLY SMALL chance, they'd 100% go for Dante. Now they're going to go to Square Enix and negotiate for Geno because they clearly heard all the fan requests for Geno. And unlike MH, SMRPG doesn't have a lot of content.

Ok.jpg

It's like talking to a wall, you're clearly not going to change your mind on anything; so I'm just going to drop it.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The amount of requests it's gotten in Japan since base almost dwarf any character barring the likes of Sora.
lol wut?
Yeah MH is heavily requested in Japan for sure, but in no way it's above of Sora lol, you clearly haven't kept up with the demand of that character, specially worldwide and not just Japan. I will agree any day now that MH is heavily requested, but that statement is just BS lol.

D

Deleted member

lol wut?
Yeah MH is heavily requested in Japan for sure, but in no way it's above of Sora lol, you clearly haven't kept up with the demand of that character, specially worldwide and not just Japan. I will agree any day now that MH is heavily requested, but that statement is just BS lol.
Yeah... I’m pretty skeptical about that. I’m gonna need source or any proof.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet
lol wut?
I think you might have read it wrong. Pretty sure he's saying that Sora is more requested than MH.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
lol wut?
why are people arguing who has the most requests. No body knows so there’s no point in arguing about it. For all we know captain toad (using as an example) could be the last character and sakurai himself could come out and say he was the 2nd most requested on the ballot.

It’s unlikely but the point is only Nintendo and sakurai and maybe the companies who are getting characters in smash will know where their characters have finished in the ballot and therefore will know who is the most popular. Arguing is silly.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I don’t know too much about smash fan requests in japan but Monster Hunter is a juggernaut there, sales speaking. Their (mainline) games sell on the par of Dragon Quest, and maybe more.

For example, MH Portable 3rd (PSP) sold more than 5 million copies, better than DQIX on NDS, that sold 4.6 million. Considering Switch popularity (and the possibility of a new model), MH Rise has a shot of selling more than 5 million copies and become the best selling MH game in Japan.

So I think there is a great chance to include more monster hunter content in smash, maybe a challanger pack, maybe just a spirit board, who knows. These discussions of MH vs DMC remind me a bit of Steve vs Banjo last year and see what the outcome we finally got

In an ideal situation, we would get a specific challenger pack with Dante and a new stage (reusing some assets from Rathalos boss arena) with 5-6 more music tracks from Monster Hunter, plus spirit events for MH Rise and Stories 2 (4 by event would be 8 in total, almost as a full spirit board) and the return of MH mii costumes from Smash 4 (maybe 1 more? Or a felyne hat?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

why are people arguing who has the most requests. No body knows so there’s no point in arguing about it. For all we know captain toad (using as an example) could be the last character and sakurai himself could come out and say he was the 2nd most requested on the ballot.

It’s unlikely but the point is only Nintendo and sakurai and maybe the companies who are getting characters in smash will know where their characters have finished in the ballot and therefore will know who is the most popular. Arguing is silly.
I think I read I may of read Droodle’s post wrong. But I agree, we certainly don’t know for sure how well MH is requested over there. I’m gonna need at least need some proof of how well requested a character is over there.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don’t know too much about smash fan requests in japan but Monster Hunter is a juggernaut there, sales speaking. Their (mainline) games sell on the par of Dragon Quest, and maybe more.

For example, MH Portable 3rd (PSP) sold more than 5 million copies, better than DQIX on NDS, that sold 4.6 million. Considering Switch popularity (and the possibility of a new model), MH Rise has a shot of selling more than 5 million copies and become the best selling MH game in Japan.

So I think there is a great chance to include more monster hunter content in smash, maybe a challanger pack, maybe just a spirit board, who knows. These discussions of MH vs DMC remind me a bit of Steve vs Banjo last year and see what the outcome we finally got
And since Base game Decision and FP1 Decision, Monster Hunter World Put the Series on the Map and is now Capcom's Best selling game. That's Why hunter, Despite the amount of Content it already has, is a Character to keep in mind. But I'm not sure in it honestly though
Then again to be Honest, considering The Best Selling game in the World got a character, I'm sure the characters going Forward can be more niche now that I think about it.

Last edited:

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet
I think I read I may of read Droodle’s post wrong. But I agree, we certainly don’t know for sure how well MH is requested over there. I’m gonna need at least need some proof of how well requested a character is over there.
MH came third in some Japanese survey behind Sora and Dante. I don't have the link for it so you gonna have to find it yourself if you want to verify that.

Also to note, Geno came 15th in that survey so I think it's fair to say that Geno is popular across the globe.

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
I literally went over this yesterday. If nobody cares about Monster Hunter, like you say, then why has it been one of the most requested fighters since BASE in Japan? It should have been dropped right after Rathalos got shown off, but instead people wanted Monster Hunter in Smash more then ever. Literally ask anyone that is a regular in the Japanese scene and they will tell you that Monster Hunter has been consistently HIGHLY requested since base game. Even moreso now that Rise has been confirmed. It's like saying Minecraft is about mining and nobody gives a **** about Steve, so Minecraft should just be a stage.

And if you seriously think that Monster Hunter couldn't have more than what they did in MVC:I, I dunno what to tell you? There are 14 different weapon types, and last I checked Byleth only had 4. You could give them an item guage, you could give them a Sharpening gimmick, a partner mechanic, etc. If we go down to moveset clearly Sakurai has nothing to work with. Saying MH is like Byleth is as wrong as saying that Dante would just be Bayonetta, or Crash would just be Incineroar.

Me: I think Monster Hunter has a solid shot, I don't think it's going to get in but it has a lot of things going for it currently. The amount of requests it's gotten in Japan since base almost dwarf any character barring the likes of Sora. That could easily convince Sakurai/Capcom/Nintendo, to give it a full blown Fighter in Pass 2.

You: WTF, they already negotiated too much content with MH and no one cares about a playable character. There is no way that they just can't go back and ask Capcom for more. It's an INSIGNIFICANTLY SMALL chance, they'd 100% go for Dante. Now they're going to go to Square Enix and negotiate for Geno because they clearly heard all the fan requests for Geno. And unlike MH, SMRPG doesn't have a lot of content.

View attachment 288706
It's like talking to a wall, you're clearly not going to change your mind on anything; so I'm just going to drop it.
I don't really want to stir the pot more, but discussions for the Hunter definitely happened during base game. Do you not find it odd that Rathalos is literally the only boss in Ultimate to not have a fighter accompanying it? How about the files for the Monster Hunter music being listed alongside series that have a playable fighter?

As one of Capcom's most successful series (especially in Japan) and one that has a strong connection to Nintendo, it's a no-brainer that they would want to include it. So why isn't the Hunter in Smash? The MH dev team likely wasn't satisfied with the concept, and there's plenty of precedence to support that the dev team is really particular in how the series is portrayed in crossovers. So, we just ended up with Rathalos as a boss.

So no, the Hunter isn't happening, unless Nintendo really wants the Hunter in Smash, approached the MH team again, and they just so happened to change their minds.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but I don't think Monster Hunter getting in would affect Geno's chances any more than Dante getting in, so why have we been discussing it here for like a day?

Like, I'm fine with going off topic for a bit, but this has been going on for a while.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
lol wut?
lol thats what barring means. You two are agreeing on the same thing.
I believe what Droodle is saying that he's one the most heavily requested characters, aside from or with the exception of Sora.

I read it wrong myself, although admittedly I didnt realize how much a Monter Hunter character was wanted. I guess they are getting a movie and a new game, so its certainly possible that there could be a big Monster hunter push

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I don't really want to stir the pot more, but discussions for the Hunter definitely happened during base game. Do you not find it odd that Rathalos is literally the only boss in Ultimate to not have a fighter accompanying it? How about the files for the Monster Hunter music being listed alongside series that have a playable fighter?

As one of Capcom's most successful series (especially in Japan) and one that has a strong connection to Nintendo, it's a no-brainer that they would want to include it. So why isn't the Hunter in Smash? The MH dev team likely wasn't satisfied with the concept, and there's plenty of precedence to support that the dev team is really particular in how the series is portrayed in crossovers. So, we just ended up with Rathalos as a boss.

So no, the Hunter isn't happening, unless Nintendo really wants the Hunter in Smash, approached the MH team again, and they just so happened to change their minds.
Or maybe they ended up being scrapped along the way, like the Chorus Kids? It's possible that there simply wasn't enough time, so they settled on Rathalos as being "good enough". Regardless of the why, there was nothing stopping discussions from happening again in the future.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just thought of something, something rather negative...

In regards to the Mii costumes, we have Lloyd, Monster Hunter, Chocobo and of course, Geno not yet costumes, as you all know. However, let it be known, that there were many other characters who were Mii Costumes that came back before, none of which were upgraded to playable characters. I mean, throughout Fighters Pass 1 and 2, it seems we did not get a character who was a Mii Costume upgraded to a fully playable character. That's not even counting the Isabelle, Inkling and K. Rool costumes, who were not counted because those were upgraded as playable characters in the base game, not any of the DLC.

Now, I am not saying this means Geno will not get in. In fact, I still think he has a shot, but if this is anything to go by, I think Geno is less likely, and even if he does not come back as a Mii costume, he may not come back at all. There are four more packs in Fighters Pass 2, and there is a chance that Geno, as well as the other costumes I mentioned, could come back as Mii costumes in any one of them, or worse yet, not appear as a costume or playable at all. With how no character who was a Mii costume before not being upgraded to a playable character in both Fighters Passes, but not including the base game, and with so many of them already revealed to be coming back, I think personally that this has a bad effect on Geno's chances.

What do you all think?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

In regards to the Mii costumes, we have Lloyd, Monster Hunter, Chocobo and of course, Geno not yet costumes, as you all know. However, let it be known, that there were many other characters who were Mii Costumes that came back before, none of which were upgraded to playable characters. I mean, throughout Fighters Pass 1 and 2, it seems we did not get a character who was a Mii Costume upgraded to a fully playable character. That's not even counting the Isabelle, Inkling and K. Rool costumes, who were not counted because those were upgraded as playable characters in the base game, not any of the DLC.

Now, I am not saying this means Geno will not get in. In fact, I still think he has a shot, but if this is anything to go by, I think Geno is less likely, and even if he does not come back as a Mii costume, he may not come back at all. There are four more packs in Fighters Pass 2, and there is a chance that Geno, as well as the other costumes I mentioned, could come back as Mii costumes in any one of them, or worse yet, not appear as a costume or playable at all. With how no character who was a Mii costume before not being upgraded to a playable character in both Fighters Passes, but not including the base game, and with so many of them already revealed to be coming back, I think personally that this has a bad effect on Geno's chances.

What do you all think?
I don't think this effects his chances whatsoever since the Geno costume was new in Smash 4. I believe Geno is going to make it in as a character with his Mii costume returning in his pack.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Oh boy, lemme guess
Someone made an offhand comment about why a completely unrelated franchise is unlikely leading to contrarians feeling the need to write essay long responses about how they're dumb stupid and wrong. Remember boys, 500 words at least or you're getting 20 points docked from your grade.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I don't think this effects his chances whatsoever since the Geno costume was new in Smash 4. I believe Geno is going to make it in as a character with his Mii costume returning in his pack.
I thought they were all new costumes? I kinda skipped brawl so I wasnt aware that there was dlc for that game.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, I know, but the point I must empathize is that what if one of the remaining costumes does become upgraded into a playable, and it is not Geno? I think chances of that one character being Geno are lower than ever, especially assuming any of these remaining costumes gets upgraded at all.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

What do you all think?
Here's how I I'd rate Geno's future from most to least likely (again this more of a prediction than a wish):

1. Premium Mii Costume - Not really the one I want, but given the precedent of improved costumes, especially with the likes of Bomberman, it is something I can imagine seeing.

2. Playable Geno - The ideal outcome and something I'm not prepared to count out yet given that both the base game and the first Fighter's Pass included long time wants from Smash fans

3. Smash 4 Mii Costume - Would definitely be a downer and a bit of a surprise given the long wait. with the only reason being that Nintendo and/or Square Enix simply didn't feel an upgrade was worth the effort. Not likely, but a bit of a hypothetical.

4. No Geno Costume - Extremely difficult to even humor given the DLC's consistent pattern of bring the third party costumes back.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, I know, but the point I must empathize is that what if one of the remaining costumes does become upgraded into a playable, and it is not Geno? I think chances of that one character being Geno are lower than ever, especially assuming any of these remaining costumes gets upgraded at all.
It's either Geno getting upgraded to playable status, both Geno and Lloyd getting up to playable status, or nether. I'm putting stock on option 2 more than the others.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here's how I I'd rate Geno's future from most to least likely (again this more of a prediction than a wish):

1. Premium Mii Costume - Not really the one I want, but given the precedent of improved costumes, especially with the likes of Bomberman, it is something I can imagine seeing.

2. Playable Geno - The ideal outcome and something I'm not prepared to count out yet given that both the base game and the first Fighter's Pass included long time wants from Smash fans

3. Smash 4 Mii Costume - Would definitely be a downer and a bit of a surprise given the long wait. with the only reason being that Nintendo and/or Square Enix simply didn't feel an upgrade was worth the effort. Not likely, but a bit of a hypothetical.

4. No Geno Costume - Extremely difficult to even humor given the DLC's consistent pattern of bring the third party costumes back.
Yeah, that makes sense, actually. If it were me, though I am not sure if I would persoanlly exchange the Premium Costume outcome with the Smash 4 Costume, but hey...

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
Or maybe they ended up being scrapped along the way, like the Chorus Kids? It's possible that there simply wasn't enough time, so they settled on Rathalos as being "good enough". Regardless of the why, there was nothing stopping discussions from happening again in the future.
If there were still definite plans to put Hunter in the game but they were short on time, we likely would have either lost some Echo Fighters in base game to have them in or they would be shifted to FP1. Now that we're on FP2... Yeah, things aren't looking so hot.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I feel like I am seeing a lot more Geno hate recently. For some reason, Steve has flipped a switch in some people's brains that makes them 100% sure Geno is not coming.
Don't listen to them. I am sure a single other character does not affect Geno's chances.

It's either Geno getting upgraded to playable status, both Geno and Lloyd getting up to playable status, or nether. I'm putting stock on option 2 more than the others.
I am not so sure on that, as I don't think they'll become playables that easily.

Not trying to be a downer, but still...

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Playable Geno is obviously "the one we want", but like... if a Geno Mii Costume came with a playable Crono, Neku or Sephiroth, then I can't say I'd be too upset. That's kind of the "problem" with Square Enix: they have too many cool characters

DeltaCrow

Smash Cadet
You'd have the say that Geno or Lloyd are the definite front runners for a mii costume promotion. Like I don't think we'll be getting playable Chocobo anytime soon. If anything I think Geno's chance for potential mii costume promotion have increased with Heihachi getting knocked out of the running. You certainly make a solid point though that there is no gurantee of a mii costume promotion happening at all.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You'd have the say that Geno or Lloyd are the definite front runners for a mii costume promotion. Like I don't think we'll be getting playable Chocobo anytime soon. If anything I think Geno's chance for potential mii costume promotion have increased with Heihachi getting knocked out of the running. You certainly make a solid point though that there is no gurantee of a mii costume promotion happening at all.
Thanks for that last part. As for Chocobo, I must admit, I forgot to exclude him from the possible Mii costume upgrade thing, for some reason.

I will say what I forgot, though; the others not being promoted into playable does heighten Geno's chances some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom